This was a gentleman no longer young, of a stiff and portly appearance, and a cautious and sour countenance. —
这是一个不算年轻的绅士,外表刚硬而肥胖,神情谨慎而脾气暴躁。 —

He began by stopping short in the doorway, staring about him with offensive and undisguised astonishment, as though asking himself what sort of place he had come to. —
他刚走进门口,就停下来,用令人反感和毫不掩饰的惊讶凝视四周,仿佛在问自己来到了什么地方。 —

Mistrustfully and with an affectation of being alarmed and almost affronted, he scanned Raskolnikov’s low and narrow “cabin.” —
他带着怀疑和仿佛受到惊吓几乎被冒犯的态度,审视着罗季昂·罗曼诺维奇狭窄矮小的“小屋”。 —

With the same amazement he stared at Raskolnikov, who lay undressed, dishevelled, unwashed, on his miserable dirty sofa, looking fixedly at him. —
他一样惊讶地盯着赤身露体、头发蓬乱、污秽不洁的罗季昂·罗曼诺维奇躺在肮脏破烂的沙发上,一动不动地看着他。 —

Then with the same deliberation he scrutinised the uncouth, unkempt figure and unshaven face of Razumihin, who looked him boldly and inquiringly in the face without rising from his seat. —
然后同样审视着拉祖米欣的粗野、不修边幅的形象和胡须拉长的脸庞,拉祖米欣则直勾勾地盯着他面无畏惧地看着他。 —

A constrained silence lasted for a couple of minutes, and then, as might be expected, some scene-shifting took place. —
紧张的沉默持续了几分钟,然后,如预料的那样,发生了一些场景的变换。 —

Reflecting, probably from certain fairly unmistakable signs, that he would get nothing in this “cabin” by attempting to overawe them, the gentleman softened somewhat, and civilly, though with some severity, emphasising every syllable of his question, addressed Zossimov:
可能从一些相当明显的迹象中反映出,在这个“小屋”里试图以压倒态度来得到什么东西是徒劳无益,这位绅士开始有些软化,并礼貌地但态度严厉地问题,把每一个音节都强调,对着左斯米诺夫问道:

“Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov, a student, or formerly a student?”
“罗季昂·罗曼诺维奇·拉斯科尔尼科夫,一名学生,或者曾经是一名学生?”

Zossimov made a slight movement, and would have answered, had not Razumihin anticipated him.
左斯米诺夫稍作动作,本来要回答,但拉祖米欣却预先回答道。

“Here he is lying on the sofa! What do you want?”
“他就躺在沙发上! 你想要什么?”

This familiar “what do you want” seemed to cut the ground from the feet of the pompous gentleman. —
这句熟悉的“你想要什么”似乎让这位自负的绅士感到措手不及。 —

He was turning to Razumihin, but checked himself in time and turned to Zossimov again.
他原本要转向拉祖米欣,但及时停住并再度转向左斯米诺夫。

“This is Raskolnikov,” mumbled Zossimov, nodding towards him. —
“这就是罗季昂·罗曼诺维奇,”左斯米诺夫喃喃自语着,朝着他点了点头。 —

Then he gave a prolonged yawn, opening his mouth as wide as possible. —
然后他打了一个打了一个长长的呵欠,尽量张开嘴。 —

Then he lazily put his hand into his waistcoat-pocket, pulled out a huge gold watch in a round hunter’s case, opened it, looked at it and as slowly and lazily proceeded to put it back.
然后懒洋洋地把手伸进背心口袋,掏出一个大金表,是一个圆形的猎人机械表,打开看了看,慢吞吞地又放了回去。

Raskolnikov himself lay without speaking, on his back, gazing persistently, though without understanding, at the stranger. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫本人躺在床上,仰望着陌生人,虽然没有理解。 —

Now that his face was turned away from the strange flower on the paper, it was extremely pale and wore a look of anguish, as though he had just undergone an agonising operation or just been taken from the rack. —
现在,他的脸从那张纸上奇怪的花朵转开,变得极为苍白,带着一种痛苦的表情,就像他刚刚经历了一场极其痛苦的手术,或者刚刚被拷问过一样。 —

But the new-comer gradually began to arouse his attention, then his wonder, then suspicion and even alarm. —
但这位新来的渐渐引起了他的注意,然后是惊讶,然后是怀疑,甚至是警惕。 —

When Zossimov said “This is Raskolnikov” he jumped up quickly, sat on the sofa and with an almost defiant, but weak and breaking, voice articulated:
当索西莫夫说“这是拉斯科尔尼科夫”时,他迅速地跳起来,坐在沙发上,用一种几乎是挑衅的,但微弱而颤抖的声音说道:

“Yes, I am Raskolnikov! What do you want?”
“是的,我是拉斯科尔尼科夫!你想要什么?”

The visitor scrutinised him and pronounced impressively:
来访者仔细审视着他,庄严地宣布道:

“Pyotr Petrovitch Luzhin. I believe I have reason to hope that my name is not wholly unknown to you?”
“彼得·彼得罗维奇·卢日因。我相信我有理由希望我的名字对你并不全然陌生?”

But Raskolnikov, who had expected something quite different, gazed blankly and dreamily at him, making no reply, as though he heard the name of Pyotr Petrovitch for the first time.
但是拉斯科尔尼科夫原本期待着的事情并不是这样,他茫然而梦幻地凝视着他,没有回答,仿佛第一次听到彼得·彼得罗维奇这个名字。

“Is it possible that you can up to the present have received no information?” —
“你难道到现在还完全没有得到过任何信息吗?” —

asked Pyotr Petrovitch, somewhat disconcerted.
皮奥特·彼得罗维奇有点不安地问道。

In reply Raskolnikov sank languidly back on the pillow, put his hands behind his head and gazed at the ceiling. —
拉斯科尔尼科夫无精打采地往枕头上一靠,把手放在头后,仰望着天花板。 —

A look of dismay came into Luzhin’s face. —
卢日因的脸上露出惊愕之色。 —

Zossimov and Razumihin stared at him more inquisitively than ever, and at last he showed unmistakable signs of embarrassment.
佐西莫夫和拉祖米欣比以往更加好奇地盯着他,最后他开始显露出尴尬的迹象。

“I had presumed and calculated,” he faltered, “that a letter posted more than ten days, if not a fortnight ago …”
“我本以为并且计算过”,他结结巴巴地说,“十天前寄出的信至少……”

“I say, why are you standing in the doorway?” Razumihin interrupted suddenly. —
“我说,你站在门口干嘛?”拉祖米欣突然打断。 —

“If you’ve something to say, sit down. Nastasya and you are so crowded. —
“如果你有事要说,坐下吧。娜斯塔西娅和你站在那里太挤了。 —

Nastasya, make room. Here’s a chair, thread your way in!”
娜斯塔西娅,给他挪挪地方。这儿有一把椅子,你进来。”

He moved his chair back from the table, made a little space between the table and his knees, and waited in a rather cramped position for the visitor to “thread his way in.” —
他把椅子从桌子上挪开一些,为来访者在“挪挪地方”的时候留出一点空间。 —

The minute was so chosen that it was impossible to refuse, and the visitor squeezed his way through, hurrying and stumbling. —
此时机不容失,拜访者不可能拒绝,他边赶紧边蹒跚地挤过去。 —

Reaching the chair, he sat down, looking suspiciously at Razumihin.
到了椅子前,他坐了下来,怀疑地看着拉祖米欣。

“No need to be nervous,” the latter blurted out. —
“不用紧张”,后者脱口而出。 —

“Rodya has been ill for the last five days and delirious for three, but now he is recovering and has got an appetite. —
“罗季亚已经病了五天,昏迷了三天,但现在正在康复,胃口好起来了。 —

This is his doctor, who has just had a look at him. —
这是他的医生,刚给他检查完。 —

I am a comrade of Rodya’s, like him, formerly a student, and now I am nursing him; —
我是罗季亚的同志,和他一样,曾经是个学生,现在我在照顾他; —

so don’t you take any notice of us, but go on with your business.”
所以你不必理会我们,继续你的事情吧。”

“Thank you. But shall I not disturb the invalid by my presence and conversation?” —
“谢谢。但我在病人身边会不会打扰他?” —

Pyotr Petrovitch asked of Zossimov.
Pyotr Petrovitch问Zossimov。

“N-no,” mumbled Zossimov; “you may amuse him.” He yawned again.
“不,” Zossimov咕噜了一声;”你可以逗他开心。”他又打了个哈欠。

“He has been conscious a long time, since the morning,” went on Razumihin, whose familiarity seemed so much like unaffected good- nature that Pyotr Petrovitch began to be more cheerful, partly, perhaps, because this shabby and impudent person had introduced himself as a student.
“他很长时间以来就清醒了,从早上开始,” Razumihin继续说,他的熟悉似乎像是天生的友好使得Pyotr Petrovitch开始感到更加愉快,可能部分原因是这个破烂而无礼的人自称为学生。

“Your mamma,” began Luzhin.
“您的妈妈,”Luzhin开始说。

“Hm!” Razumihin cleared his throat loudly. Luzhin looked at him inquiringly.
“嗯!”Razumihin大声清了清嗓子。Luzhin疑惑地看着他。

“That’s all right, go on.”
“没问题,继续。”

Luzhin shrugged his shoulders.
Luzhin耸了耸肩。

“Your mamma had commenced a letter to you while I was sojourning in her neighbourhood. —
“你的妈妈在我逗留在她附近的时候开始给你写信。 —

On my arrival here I purposely allowed a few days to elapse before coming to see you, in order that I might be fully assured that you were in full possession of the tidings; —
我来到这里时特意等了几天才来看你,为了确认你已经得知了这些消息; —

but now, to my astonishment …”
但现在,让我大吃一惊……”

“I know, I know!” Raskolnikov cried suddenly with impatient vexation. —
“我知道,我知道!” 罗季宁突然不耐烦地喊道。 —

“So you are the /fiance/? I know, and that’s enough!”
“所以你就是未婚夫?我知道了,就这样!”

There was no doubt about Pyotr Petrovitch’s being offended this time, but he said nothing. —
毫无疑问,这一次Pyotr Petrovitch确实生气了,但他什么也没有说。 —

He made a violent effort to understand what it all meant. —
他极力努力理解这一切意味着什么。 —

There was a moment’s silence.
有短暂的沉默。

Meanwhile Raskolnikov, who had turned a little towards him when he answered, began suddenly staring at him again with marked curiosity, as though he had not had a good look at him yet, or as though something new had struck him; —
与此同时,拉斯科尔尼科夫稍微转过身来,当他回答时,突然又开始好奇地盯着他,好像他还没有好好看过他,或者好像有什么新的东西打动了他; —

he rose from his pillow on purpose to stare at him. —
他专门起身盯着他看。 —

There certainly was something peculiar in Pyotr Petrovitch’s whole appearance, something which seemed to justify the title of “fiance” so unceremoniously applied to him. —
彼得·彼得罗维奇的整个外表确实有些奇特,似乎证明了别来无礼地给他打上的“未婚夫”头衔。 —

In the first place, it was evident, far too much so indeed, that Pyotr Petrovitch had made eager use of his few days in the capital to get himself up and rig himself out in expectation of his betrothed–a perfectly innocent and permissible proceeding, indeed. —
首先,很显然,彼得·彼得罗维奇利用他在首都的短短几天时间,为了迎接他的未婚妻而打扮得漂漂亮亮——这确实是完全无辜和应该的行为。 —

Even his own, perhaps too complacent, consciousness of the agreeable improvement in his appearance might have been forgiven in such circumstances, seeing that Pyotr Petrovitch had taken up the role of fiance. —
在这种情况下,彼得·彼得罗维奇对自己外表上的愉悦改善,甚至可能是过于自满的意识,也可以原谅,因为彼得·彼得罗维奇扮演了未婚夫的角色。 —

All his clothes were fresh from the tailor’s and were all right, except for being too new and too distinctly appropriate. —
他的所有衣服都是新的,而且一切都还好,只是太新和太明显地适合。 —

Even the stylish new round hat had the same significance. —
甚至时髦的新圆帽也有同样的意义。 —

Pyotr Petrovitch treated it too respectfully and held it too carefully in his hands. —
彼得·彼得罗维奇对此表现出了过于尊重和过分小心。 —

The exquisite pair of lavender gloves, real Louvain, told the same tale, if only from the fact of his not wearing them, but carrying them in his hand for show. —
优雅的淡紫色手套,真正的卢瓦恩,也说明了同样的事实,即他没有戴在手上,而是拿在手里炫耀。 —

Light and youthful colours predominated in Pyotr Petrovitch’s attire. —
浅淡的年轻色调在彼得·彼得罗维奇的服饰中占主导地位。 —

He wore a charming summer jacket of a fawn shade, light thin trousers, a waistcoat of the same, new and fine linen, a cravat of the lightest cambric with pink stripes on it, and the best of it was, this all suited Pyotr Petrovitch. —
他穿着一件迷人的夏季浅鹿色外套,轻薄的长裤,一件相同颜色的背心,新而精细的亚麻衬衫,一条最轻薄带着粉红条纹的缎布领巾,最好的是,这所有的一切都非常适合彼得·彼得罗维奇。 —

His very fresh and even handsome face looked younger than his forty-five years at all times. —
他那张非常清爽、甚至英俊的脸,在任何时候看起来都比他四十五岁的年龄要年轻。 —

His dark, mutton-chop whiskers made an agreeable setting on both sides, growing thickly upon his shining, clean-shaven chin. —
他深色的羊髭使他双侧的脸部更加愉悦,浓密地生长在他光滑的、干净的下巴上。 —

Even his hair, touched here and there with grey, though it had been combed and curled at a hairdresser’s, did not give him a stupid appearance, as curled hair usually does, by inevitably suggesting a German on his wedding-day. —
即使他的头发已经花钱去理发店梳洗过,偶尔带点灰色,但并没有让他看起来愚蠢,因为通常捲发会让人不由自主地联想到德国人的婚礼。 —

If there really was something unpleasing and repulsive in his rather good-looking and imposing countenance, it was due to quite other causes. —
如果他那相貌相当英俊和令人印象深刻的容颜中真的有些令人不悦和令人厌恶的地方,那是由于完全不同的原因。 —

After scanning Mr. Luzhin unceremoniously, Raskolnikov smiled malignantly, sank back on the pillow and stared at the ceiling as before.
拜扫描了鲁申先生若无其事地,罗季科夫那凶恶的微笑,又躺回靠枕盯着天花板看。

But Mr. Luzhin hardened his heart and seemed to determine to take no notice of their oddities.
但是鲁申先生硬了心,似乎决定对他们的古怪不予理会。

“I feel the greatest regret at finding you in this situation,” he began, again breaking the silence with an effort. —
“发现你处于这种情况下,我感到非常遗憾,”他踌躇着又打破了沉默。 —

“If I had been aware of your illness I should have come earlier. But you know what business is. —
“如果我知道你病了,我早就来了。但你知道我有工作要做。 —

I have, too, a very important legal affair in the Senate, not to mention other preoccupations which you may well conjecture. —
我在参议院还有一桩非常重要的法律事务,更不用说其他你可以想象的牵挂。 —

I am expecting your mamma and sister any minute.”
我期待着你的妈妈和妹妹随时都会来。”

Raskolnikov made a movement and seemed about to speak; his face showed some excitement. —
罗季科夫有所动作,似乎要开口说些什么,他的脸上带着一些兴奋。 —

Pyotr Petrovitch paused, waited, but as nothing followed, he went on:
彼得·彼得罗维奇停顿了,等待着,但没听到回应后,他继续说道:

”… Any minute. I have found a lodging for them on their arrival.”
“……随时都会来。他们到达后我已经找好他们的住处了。”

“Where?” asked Raskolnikov weakly.
“在哪里?”罗季科夫虚弱地问道。

“Very near here, in Bakaleyev’s house.”
“就在附近,在巴卡列夫的房子里。”

“That’s in Voskresensky,” put in Razumihin. —
“就在沃斯克连斯基,”拉祖米欣插嘴。 —

“There are two storeys of rooms, let by a merchant called Yushin; I’ve been there.”
“有两层房间,由一位叫尤申的商人出租;我去过那里。”

“Yes, rooms …”
“是的,房间…”

“A disgusting place–filthy, stinking and, what’s more, of doubtful character. —
“这是一个令人恶心的地方–肮脏、臭气熏天,而且据说还有不怀好意的人。 —

Things have happened there, and there are all sorts of queer people living there. —
“那里发生了一些事情,那里住着各种古怪的人。 —

And I went there about a scandalous business. —
“我去那里,是因为一桩丑闻。 —

It’s cheap, though …”
“尽管如此,那里很便宜…”

“I could not, of course, find out so much about it, for I am a stranger in Petersburg myself,” Pyotr Petrovitch replied huffily. —
“当然,我本人并未详细了解那里,因为我自己也是彼得堡的外地人,”彼得·彼得罗维奇不悦地回答。 —

“However, the two rooms are exceedingly clean, and as it is for so short a time … —
“不过,这两个房间非常干净,而且只是短时间住… —

I have already taken a permanent, that is, our future flat,” he said, addressing Raskolnikov, “and I am having it done up. —
“我已经租了一间永久的公寓,也就是我们未来的家,”他对犹大说,”我正在让它整修。 —

And meanwhile I am myself cramped for room in a lodging with my friend Andrey Semyonovitch Lebeziatnikov, in the flat of Madame Lippevechsel; —
“与我的朋友安德烈·谢莫诺维奇·莱贝季亚特尼科夫同住,住在丽贝夫柴兹太太的公寓里; —

it was he who told me of Bakaleyev’s house, too …”
“他也告诉我巴卡列耶夫家的事…

“Lebeziatnikov?” said Raskolnikov slowly, as if recalling something.
“莱贝季亚特尼科夫?”拉斯科尔尼科夫缓慢地说,好像在回忆什么。

“Yes, Andrey Semyonovitch Lebeziatnikov, a clerk in the Ministry. Do you know him?”
“是的,安德烈·谢莫诺维奇·莱贝季亚特尼科夫,内政部的职员。你认识他吗?

“Yes … no,” Raskolnikov answered.
“是的…不,”拉斯科尔尼科夫回答。

“Excuse me, I fancied so from your inquiry. I was once his guardian… . —
“请原谅,我从你的询问中猜到了。我曾经是他的监护人… —

A very nice young man and advanced. I like to meet young people: —
“一个非常好的年轻人,而且很有进取心。我喜欢和年轻人相处。 —

one learns new things from them.” Luzhin looked round hopefully at them all.
有人从他们身上学到新的东西。卢日辛希望地看着他们。

“How do you mean?” asked Razumihin.
“你是什么意思?” 拉祖米欣问道。

“In the most serious and essential matters,” Pyotr Petrovitch replied, as though delighted at the question. —
“在最严肃和基本的事情上,” 彼得·彼得罗维奇如此回答,似乎对这个问题感到高兴。 —

“You see, it’s ten years since I visited Petersburg. —
“你看,我已经十年没去过彼得堡了。 —

All the novelties, reforms, ideas have reached us in the provinces, but to see it all more clearly one must be in Petersburg. —
所有的新奇事物、改革和思想都已经传到我们这个省份,但要更清楚地看到一切就必须去彼得堡。 —

And it’s my notion that you observe and learn most by watching the younger generation. —
而我认为,通过观察年轻一代,你会学到更多。” —

And I confess I am delighted …”
“我得承认我很高兴……”

“At what?”
“为什么会高兴呢?”

“Your question is a wide one. I may be mistaken, but I fancy I find clearer views, more, so to say, criticism, more practicality …”
“你的问题涉及范围很广。我可能错了,但我觉得我发现了更清晰的观点,更多,可以说是批评,更多的实用性……”

“That’s true,” Zossimov let drop.
“这是真的,”佐西莫夫扔出一句。

“Nonsense! There’s no practicality.” Razumihin flew at him. —
“胡说八道!根本没有实用性。”拉祖米欣抓狂地说。 —

“Practicality is a difficult thing to find; it does not drop down from heaven. —
“实用性是一件难以找到的事情;它不会从天而降。 —

And for the last two hundred years we have been divorced from all practical life. —
在过去的两百年里,我们与所有实际生活都脱节了。 —

Ideas, if you like, are fermenting,” he said to Pyotr Petrovitch, “and desire for good exists, though it’s in a childish form, and honesty you may find, although there are crowds of brigands. —
许多思想正在酝酿,如果你愿意的话,就会有对善的渴望尽管它还处于幼稚的形式中,诚实你可能会发现,尽管有很多强盗。 —

Anyway, there’s no practicality. Practicality goes well shod.”
无论如何,没有实用性。实用性穿得很好。”

“I don’t agree with you,” Pyotr Petrovitch replied, with evident enjoyment. —
“我不同意你的观点,”彼得·彼得罗维奇愉快地回答道。 —

“Of course, people do get carried away and make mistakes, but one must have indulgence; —
“当然,人们可能会冲动并犯错,但我们必须宽容; —

those mistakes are merely evidence of enthusiasm for the cause and of abnormal external environment. If little has been done, the time has been but short; —
这些错误只是对事业的热情和异常外部环境的表现。如果做得还不够多,时间还不算长; —

of means I will not speak. It’s my personal view, if you care to know, that something has been accomplished already. —
关于手段我就不多说了。我个人认为,已经取得了一些成就。 —

New valuable ideas, new valuable works are circulating in the place of our old dreamy and romantic authors. —
有价值的新理念,有价值的新作品正在取代我们那些老梦幻和浪漫的作家。 —

Literature is taking a maturer form, many injurious prejudice have been rooted up and turned into ridicule. —
文学正呈现更加成熟的形式,许多有害的偏见已被根除并变荒谬可笑。 —

… In a word, we have cut ourselves off irrevocably from the past, and that, to my thinking, is a great thing …”
总之,我们已经不可撤销地与过去割裂开来,这,在我看来,是一件伟大的事情……”

“He’s learnt it by heart to show off!” Raskolnikov pronounced suddenly.
“他是为了炫耀而背诵的!”拉斯科尔尼科夫突然发表意见。

“What?” asked Pyotr Petrovitch, not catching his words; but he received no reply.
“什么?”彼得·彼得罗维奇问,没有听清他的话;但他没有得到答复。

“That’s all true,” Zossimov hastened to interpose.
“这一切都是真的,”佐西莫夫赶忙插话道。

“Isn’t it so?” Pyotr Petrovitch went on, glancing affably at Zossimov. —
“对吗?”彼得·彼得罗维奇继续说,友好地看着佐西莫夫。 —

“You must admit,” he went on, addressing Razumihin with a shade of triumph and superciliousness–he almost added “young man”–“that there is an advance, or, as they say now, progress in the name of science and economic truth …”
“你必须承认,”他继续说,对拉祖米欣稍带凯旋和傲慢-他几乎加上了“年轻人”-“在科学和经济真理的名义下,存在着进步或者现在所说的进展……”

“A commonplace.”
“陈词滥调。”

“No, not a commonplace! Hitherto, for instance, if I were told, ‘love thy neighbour,’ what came of it?” —
“不,不是陈词滥调!比如迄今来说,如果有人告诉我‘爱你的邻人’,那又有什么结果呢?”彼得·彼得罗维奇继续说,或许稍显匆忙。 —

Pyotr Petrovitch went on, perhaps with excessive haste. —
“In brief,已经取得了一些进展”(“总之,我们已经不可撤销地与过去割裂开来,这,在我看来,是一件伟大的事情……”) —

“It came to my tearing my coat in half to share with my neighbour and we both were left half naked. —
“这让我不得不把我的外套撕成两半与邻居分享,结果我们两个都半身不穿。 —

As a Russian proverb has it, ‘Catch several hares and you won’t catch one.’ —
正如俄罗斯谚语所说:‘一网打尽,最终一个也捕不到。’ —

Science now tells us, love yourself before all men, for everything in the world rests on self-interest. —
现在科学告诉我们,爱自己胜过爱他人,因为世界上的一切都建立在自我利益之上。 —

You love yourself and manage your own affairs properly and your coat remains whole. —
你爱自己,善待自己的事务,你的外套就会完整。 —

Economic truth adds that the better private affairs are organised in society–the more whole coats, so to say–the firmer are its foundations and the better is the common welfare organised too. —
经济的真理还指出,社会中私人事务组织得越好——就像更完整的外套一样——它的基础就越牢固,共同福祉也就组织得越好。 —

Therefore, in acquiring wealth solely and exclusively for myself, I am acquiring, so to speak, for all, and helping to bring to pass my neighbour’s getting a little more than a torn coat; —
因此,仅仅为了自己获取财富,实际上也在为他人获取财富,帮助邻居得到比破外套更多的东西; —

and that not from private, personal liberality, but as a consequence of the general advance. —
而这并不是源自私人、个人的慷慨,而是作为一种普遍进步的结果。 —

The idea is simple, but unhappily it has been a long time reaching us, being hindered by idealism and sentimentality. —
这个想法很简单,但不幸的是,由于唯心主义和感性主义的阻碍,它直到现在才传达过来。 —

And yet it would seem to want very little wit to perceive it …”
然而,要认识到这一点似乎并不需要多少智慧……”

“Excuse me, I’ve very little wit myself,” Razumihin cut in sharply, “and so let us drop it. —
“对不起,我自己也不是很聪明,”拉祖米欣尖刻地插话道:”我们不谈这个了。 —

I began this discussion with an object, but I’ve grown so sick during the last three years of this chattering to amuse oneself, of this incessant flow of commonplaces, always the same, that, by Jove, I blush even when other people talk like that. —
我开始这个讨论是有目的的,但过去三年来,我对这种自我取悦的废话、这种不断重复的陈词滥调感到厌倦,别人说起这样的话我甚至为之愧疚。 —

You are in a hurry, no doubt, to exhibit your acquirements; —
你无疑是急于展示你的才能; —

and I don’t blame you, that’s quite pardonable. —
我不怪你,那是完全可以被原谅的。 —

I only wanted to find out what sort of man you are, for so many unscrupulous people have got hold of the progressive cause of late and have so distorted in their own interests everything they touched, that the whole cause has been dragged in the mire. That’s enough!”
我只是想知道你是什么样的人,近来太多不择手段的人涉足进步事业,并在自己的利益中歪曲了一切,整个事业都被拉进泥沼。够了!”

“Excuse me, sir,” said Luzhin, affronted, and speaking with excessive dignity. —
“对不起,先生,”鲁津被冒犯了,说话极为尊严。 —

“Do you mean to suggest so unceremoniously that I too …”
“你是不是意味着这么不礼貌地也包括我…”

“Oh, my dear sir … how could I? … —
“哦,亲爱的先生… 我怎么能呢?…” —

Come, that’s enough,” Razumihin concluded, and he turned abruptly to Zossimov to continue their previous conversation.
别说了,” Razumihin 结论说,并突然转向 Zossimov 继续他们之前的谈话。

Pyotr Petrovitch had the good sense to accept the disavowal. —
Pyotr Petrovitch 有足够的聪明接受了否认。 —

He made up his mind to take leave in another minute or two.
他决定再过一两分钟后离开。

“I trust our acquaintance,” he said, addressing Raskolnikov, “may, upon your recovery and in view of the circumstances of which you are aware, become closer . —
“我相信我们的相识,” 他对 Raskolnikov 说,”在您康复的时候,并考虑到您所知道的情况,可能会更加密切。 —

. . Above all, I hope for your return to health …”
… 最重要的是,我希望您身体早日康复…”

Raskolnikov did not even turn his head. Pyotr Petrovitch began getting up from his chair.
Raskolnikov 甚至没有转头。Pyotr Petrovitch 开始从椅子上站起来。

“One of her customers must have killed her,” Zossimov declared positively.
“肯定有一个顾客杀了她,” Zossimov 断然地宣称。

“Not a doubt of it,” replied Razumihin. “Porfiry doesn’t give his opinion, but is examining all who have left pledges with her there.”
“毫无疑问,” Razumihin 回答说。”Porfiry 不发表意见,但正在调查留下当当物品的所有人。”

“Examining them?” Raskolnikov asked aloud.
“在调查他们?” Raskolnikov 大声问。

“Yes. What then?”
“是的。有什么问题吗?”

“Nothing.”
“没有。”

“How does he get hold of them?” asked Zossimov.
“他是怎么得到他们的名字的?” Zossimov 问道。

“Koch has given the names of some of them, other names are on the wrappers of the pledges and some have come forward of themselves.”
“科赫已经给出了其中一些人的名字,其他的名字在当当物品的包装上,还有一些人主动站了出来。”

“It must have been a cunning and practised ruffian! The boldness of it! The coolness!”
“这肯定是一个狡猾且老练的恶棍!多么大胆!多么冷静!”

“That’s just what it wasn’t!” interposed Razumihin. “That’s what throws you all off the scent. —
“那正是不对!”拉祖米欣插话道。“这就是让你们所有人都误入歧途的原因。” —

But I maintain that he is not cunning, not practised, and probably this was his first crime! —
但我坚持认为他不是狡猾的、老练的,而且很可能这是他的第一次犯罪! —

The supposition that it was a calculated crime and a cunning criminal doesn’t work. —
认定这是一个精心策划的罪行和一个狡猾的罪犯是行不通的。 —

Suppose him to have been inexperienced, and it’s clear that it was only a chance that saved him–and chance may do anything. —
假设他没有经验,很明显只是偶然才救了他–而偶然可能会有任何事情。 —

Why, he did not foresee obstacles, perhaps! And how did he set to work? —
为什么呢,他或许没有预见到障碍!他是如何去做的呢? —

He took jewels worth ten or twenty roubles, stuffing his pockets with them, ransacked the old woman’s trunks, her rags–and they found fifteen hundred roubles, besides notes, in a box in the top drawer of the chest! —
他拿起价值十到二十卢布的珠宝,塞满口袋,搜刮老妇人的箱子,她的破布–而他们在搁置的抽屉顶部的一个盒子里发现了一千五百卢布,还有纸币! —

He did not know how to rob; he could only murder. —
他不知道如何抢劫;他只能杀人。 —

It was his first crime, I assure you, his first crime; —
我向您保证,那是他的第一次犯罪; —

he lost his head. And he got off more by luck than good counsel!”
他惊慌失措。他能逃脱更多是靠运气而非明智的建议!

“You are talking of the murder of the old pawnbroker, I believe?” —
“您是在谈论老当铺老板被谋杀的案件吧?”我相信。 —

Pyotr Petrovitch put in, addressing Zossimov. —
比获派罗维奇说,向佐西莫夫说。 —

He was standing, hat and gloves in hand, but before departing he felt disposed to throw off a few more intellectual phrases. —
他站着,手里拿着帽子和手套,但在离开之前,他觉得应该再抛出一些智力概念。 —

He was evidently anxious to make a favourable impression and his vanity overcame his prudence.
他显然渴望留下良好印象,他的虚荣心战胜了他的谨慎。

“Yes. You’ve heard of it?”
“是的。您听说过吗?”

“Oh, yes, being in the neighbourhood.”
“噢,是的,我在附近。”

“Do you know the details?”
“您知道详情吗?”

“I can’t say that; but another circumstance interests me in the case– the whole question, so to say. —
“我不能说;但案件中还有另一个细节让我感兴趣——整个问题,可以这么说。 —

Not to speak of the fact that crime has been greatly on the increase among the lower classes during the last five years, not to speak of the cases of robbery and arson everywhere, what strikes me as the strangest thing is that in the higher classes, too, crime is increasing proportionately. —
别提过去5年间下层阶级中的犯罪明显增加,到处是抢劫和放火案件,更不用说高层阶级中的犯罪也在成比例增加。 —

In one place one hears of a student’s robbing the mail on the high road; —
某地有人听说有学生在高速公路上抢劫邮件; —

in another place people of good social position forge false banknotes; —
另一地有社会地位不错的人伪造假银行票; —

in Moscow of late a whole gang has been captured who used to forge lottery tickets, and one of the ringleaders was a lecturer in universal history; —
最近在莫斯科抓获了一个整个团伙,他们惯于伪造彩票,其中一个首脑居然是一名通史讲师; —

then our secretary abroad was murdered from some obscure motive of gain… . —
然后我们海外的秘书被以某种晦涩的利益动机谋杀了… —

And if this old woman, the pawnbroker, has been murdered by someone of a higher class in society–for peasants don’t pawn gold trinkets– how are we to explain this demoralisation of the civilised part of our society?”
如果这位老妪,当铺老板,被社会上一位地位较高的人谋杀了–因为农民不会典当金饰–我们该如何解释我们社会文明部分的堕落行为?”

“There are many economic changes,” put in Zossimov.
“有很多经济变化,”佐西莫夫插话道.

“How are we to explain it?” Razumihin caught him up. —
“我们该怎么解释?” 拉祖米欣打断道. —

“It might be explained by our inveterate impracticality.”
“这可以解释为我们根深蒂固的不切实际性.”

“How do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“What answer had your lecturer in Moscow to make to the question why he was forging notes? —
“在莫斯科的讲师对于为什么要伪造钞票这个问题有什么回答? —

‘Everybody is getting rich one way or another, so I want to make haste to get rich too.’ —
‘每个人都以某种方式变得富有,所以我也想赶紧变富.’ —

I don’t remember the exact words, but the upshot was that he wants money for nothing, without waiting or working! —
我记不清确切的话了,但总的意思是他想要毫无代价地得到钱,不用等待或工作! —

We’ve grown used to having everything ready-made, to walking on crutches, to having our food chewed for us. —
我们已经习惯了所有事情都现成的,习惯了倚赖拐杖行走,习惯了食物被嚼过。” —

Then the great hour struck,(*) and every man showed himself in his true colours.”
然后伟大的时刻到来了,每个人都展示出了真正的本色.”

() The emancipation of the serfs in 1861 is meant.–TRANSLATOR’S NOTE.
(
)指的是1861年的解放农奴– 译注

“But morality? And so to speak, principles …”
“但道德呢?所谓的原则…”

“But why do you worry about it?” Raskolnikov interposed suddenly. —
“但你为什么担心呢?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫突然插话道. —

“It’s in accordance with your theory!”
“这正符合你的理论!”

“In accordance with my theory?”
“根据我的理论?”

“Why, carry out logically the theory you were advocating just now, and it follows that people may be killed …”
“为什么,按照你刚才所提倡的理论逻辑推理,人们可能会被杀死……”

“Upon my word!” cried Luzhin.
卢金喊道:“天啊!”

“No, that’s not so,” put in Zossimov.
站在一旁的佐西莫夫插嘴道:“不,不是这样。”

Raskolnikov lay with a white face and twitching upper lip, breathing painfully.
拉斯科尔尼科夫脸色苍白,上唇抽搐,呼吸困难地躺着。

“There’s a measure in all things,” Luzhin went on superciliously. —
卢金傲慢地接着说:“事事都有个度。” —

“Economic ideas are not an incitement to murder, and one has but to suppose …”
“经济理念并不是煽动谋杀,只需假设……”

“And is it true,” Raskolnikov interposed once more suddenly, again in a voice quivering with fury and delight in insulting him, “is it true that you told your /fiancee/ . —
拉斯科尔尼科夫再次突然插话,声音中充满愤怒和愉快地羞辱他:“你告诉你的未婚妻……” —

. . within an hour of her acceptance, that what pleased you most … was that she was a beggar . —
“在她接受之后的一个小时内,你最喜欢的是……她是个乞丐……” —

. . because it was better to raise a wife from poverty, so that you may have complete control over her, and reproach her with your being her benefactor?”
“因为从贫穷中娶妻更好,这样你就完全控制她,并责备她仰赖你是她的恩人。”

“Upon my word,” Luzhin cried wrathfully and irritably, crimson with confusion, “to distort my words in this way! —
卢金愤怒和烦躁地红着脸喊道:“天哪,这样歪曲我的话! —

Excuse me, allow me to assure you that the report which has reached you, or rather, let me say, has been conveyed to you, has no foundation in truth, and I . —
对不起,请容许我向你保证,传达给你的那个消息,或者,让我这么说,已经传达给你的,都是毫无根据的,而且我…… —

. . suspect who … in a word … this arrow … in a word, your mamma … —
怀疑是谁……总而言之……这个箭头……总之,你妈妈…… —

She seemed to me in other things, with all her excellent qualities, of a somewhat high-flown and romantic way of thinking. —
她在其他方面,尽管有着出色的品质,却有着有些浮夸和浪漫的思维方式。 —

… But I was a thousand miles from supposing that she would misunderstand and misrepresent things in so fanciful a way. —
但我完全没有料到她会误解并以如此幻想的方式歪曲事实。 —

… And indeed … indeed …”
“一定。。。确实。。。”

“I tell you what,” cried Raskolnikov, raising himself on his pillow and fixing his piercing, glittering eyes upon him, “I tell you what.”
“我告诉你,”拉斯科尔尼科夫喊道,挺起身子,用那双犀利、闪烁的眼睛盯着他,“我告诉你。”

“What?” Luzhin stood still, waiting with a defiant and offended face. —
“什么?”卢任站在那里,带着挑衅和被冒犯的表情等待着。 —

Silence lasted for some seconds.
沉默持续了几秒钟。

“Why, if ever again … you dare to mention a single word … —
“如果你再敢提一句。。。” —

about my mother … I shall send you flying downstairs!”
“关于我母亲的话。。。我会让你飞下楼去!”

“What’s the matter with you?” cried Razumihin.
“你怎么了?”拉祖米欣喊道。

“So that’s how it is?” Luzhin turned pale and bit his lip. —
“这是怎么回事?”卢任脸色变白,咬着嘴唇。 —

“Let me tell you, sir,” he began deliberately, doing his utmost to restrain himself but breathing hard, “at the first moment I saw you you were ill-disposed to me, but I remained here on purpose to find out more. —
“听我说,先生,”他开始沉着地,尽最大努力克制自己,但是喘着气,“我第一眼看到你时就感觉你对我不利,但我故意留下来想了解更多。 —

I could forgive a great deal in a sick man and a connection, but you . —
我可以原谅病人和联系中的许多事情,但你。。。 —

. . never after this …”
“从此以后。。。永不。。。”

“I am not ill,” cried Raskolnikov.
“我没有病,”拉斯科尔尼科夫喊道。

“So much the worse …”
“那就更糟了。。。”

“Go to hell!”
“滚蛋!”

But Luzhin was already leaving without finishing his speech, squeezing between the table and the chair; —
但卢任已经在说话未完之际离开了,挤过桌子和椅子之间; —

Razumihin got up this time to let him pass. —
拉祖米欣这次站起来让他通过。 —

Without glancing at anyone, and not even nodding to Zossimov, who had for some time been making signs to him to let the sick man alone, he went out, lifting his hat to the level of his shoulders to avoid crushing it as he stooped to go out of the door. —
他没有看向任何人,甚至没有向一直在示意让他别打扰病人的佐西莫夫点头,他走出去了,将帽子抬到肩膀高度以避免在弯腰走出门的时候挤压到。 —

And even the curve of his spine was expressive of the horrible insult he had received.
甚至他的脊椎曲线也表达了他所受到的可怕侮辱。

“How could you–how could you!” Razumihin said, shaking his head in perplexity.
“你怎么能够–你怎么能够!”拉祖米欣困惑地摇着头说。

“Let me alone–let me alone all of you!” Raskolnikov cried in a frenzy. —
“让我一个人待着–让我一个人待着吧,你们所有人!” 拉斯科尔尼科夫狂燥地喊道。 —

“Will you ever leave off tormenting me? I am not afraid of you! —
“你们难道就不能停止折磨我吗?我不怕你们!我现在谁都不怕!离我远点!” —

I am not afraid of anyone, anyone now! Get away from me! —
“Will you ever leave off tormenting me? I am not afraid of you! —

I want to be alone, alone, alone!”
“我想要一个人,独自,独自!”

“Come along,” said Zossimov, nodding to Razumihin.
“走吧,”佐西莫夫对拉祖米欣点点头说。

“But we can’t leave him like this!”
“但我们不能就这样把他丢下!”

“Come along,” Zossimov repeated insistently, and he went out. —
佐西莫夫坚决地重复说:”走吧,”然后走了出去。 —

Razumihin thought a minute and ran to overtake him.
拉祖米欣想了一会儿,然后跑过去赶上了他。

“It might be worse not to obey him,” said Zossimov on the stairs. “He mustn’t be irritated.”
“也许不听他会更糟,”佐西莫夫在楼梯上说道。”他不能被激怒。”

“What’s the matter with him?”
“他怎么了?”

“If only he could get some favourable shock, that’s what would do it! At first he was better… . —
“如果他能有一种积极的冲击,那将是有帮助的!一开始他好一些……” —

You know he has got something on his mind! —
“你知道他有心事!” —

Some fixed idea weighing on him… . I am very much afraid so; he must have!”
“有某个固定的想法在他心里压着他……我非常担心;他一定有!”

“Perhaps it’s that gentleman, Pyotr Petrovitch. —
“也许是那个绅士,彼得·彼得罗维奇。” —

From his conversation I gather he is going to marry his sister, and that he had received a letter about it just before his illness… .”
“从他的谈话中我得知他要和他的姐妹结婚,而且他在病倒前收到了一封关于这件事的信……”

“Yes, confound the man! he may have upset the case altogether. —
“是的,可恶的人!他也许彻底搅乱了情况。” —

But have you noticed, he takes no interest in anything, he does not respond to anything except one point on which he seems excited–that’s the murder?”
“但你有没有注意到,他对任何事都不感兴趣,除了一个点,对这个他似乎很激动——那就是谋杀案?”

“Yes, yes,” Razumihin agreed, “I noticed that, too. He is interested, frightened. —
“是的,是的,”拉祖米欣同意说:”我也注意到了。他感兴趣,也害怕。” —

It gave him a shock on the day he was ill in the police office; he fainted.”
在他生病在警局的那天,这使他感到震惊; 他昏倒了。

“Tell me more about that this evening and I’ll tell you something afterwards. —
“今晚告诉我更多,然后我会告诉你一些事情。 —

He interests me very much! In half an hour I’ll go and see him again. —
他非常吸引我!半小时后我会再去见他。 —

… There’ll be no inflammation though.”
“… 不会有炎症虽然。”

“Thanks! And I’ll wait with Pashenka meantime and will keep watch on him through Nastasya… .”
“谢谢!与帕申卡一起等待同时,我会通过娜斯塔西娅监视他… .”

Raskolnikov, left alone, looked with impatience and misery at Nastasya, but she still lingered.
独自一人的拉斯科尔尼科夫不耐烦地看着娜斯塔西娅,但她还在逗留。

“Won’t you have some tea now?” she asked.
“现在要喝点茶吗?”她问。

“Later! I am sleepy! Leave me.”
“待会!我困了!离开我。”

He turned abruptly to the wall; Nastasya went out.
他突然转向墙壁;娜斯塔西娅出去了。