“Can this be still a dream?” Raskolnikov thought once more.
“这难道还是一个梦吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫再次想到。

He looked carefully and suspiciously at the unexpected visitor.
他仔细地、怀疑地看着这位突然出现的访客。

“Svidrigailov! What nonsense! It can’t be!” he said at last aloud in bewilderment.
“斯维德里加洛夫!真是胡说!不可能是他!” 最后他惊讶地大声说道。

His visitor did not seem at all surprised at this exclamation.
他的访客对这句话似乎并不感到惊讶。

“I’ve come to you for two reasons. In the first place, I wanted to make your personal acquaintance, as I have already heard a great deal about you that is interesting and flattering; —
“我来找你有两个原因。首先,我想亲自结识你,因为我已经听说了很多关于你有趣且令人称赞的事情; —

secondly, I cherish the hope that you may not refuse to assist me in a matter directly concerning the welfare of your sister, Avdotya Romanovna. —
其次,我抱有希望你可能不会拒绝帮助我处理一件直接关系到你妹妹阿芙多娅·罗马诺芙娜福祉的事情。 —

For without your support she might not let me come near her now, for she is prejudiced against me, but with your assistance I reckon on …”
因为没有你的支持,她可能现在不会让我靠近她,因为她对我存有偏见,但有了你的协助,我指望…”

“You reckon wrongly,” interrupted Raskolnikov.
“你想得错了,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫打断说。

“They only arrived yesterday, may I ask you?”
“他们昨天才到的,我可以问一下你吗?”

Raskolnikov made no reply.
拉斯科尔尼科夫没有回答。

“It was yesterday, I know. I only arrived myself the day before. —
“我知道昨天才到的。我也是前天才到的。 —

Well, let me tell you this, Rodion Romanovitch, I don’t consider it necessary to justify myself, but kindly tell me what was there particularly criminal on my part in all this business, speaking without prejudice, with common sense?”
好吧,让我告诉你,罗季翁·罗马诺维奇,我认为没必要为自己辩解,但请告诉我,在这一切事务中,我的行为究竟哪里特别地犯了罪,不带偏见,用常识说?”

Raskolnikov continued to look at him in silence.
拉斯科尔尼科夫继续沉默地看着他。

“That in my own house I persecuted a defenceless girl and ‘insulted her with my infamous proposals’–is that it? —
“是在我自己的房子里迫害一个无助的女孩,并且 ‘用我可耻的提议侮辱她’—是吗? —

(I am anticipating you.) But you’ve only to assume that I, too, am a man /et nihil humanum/ … —
(我在揣测你。)但你只需假设我,也是一个人 /et nihil humanum/…” —

in a word, that I am capable of being attracted and falling in love (which does not depend on our will), then everything can be explained in the most natural manner. —
用一个词来说,我有能力被吸引和坠入爱河(这并不取决于我们的意愿),那么一切都可以以最自然的方式解释。 —

The question is, am I a monster, or am I myself a victim? And what if I am a victim? —
问题是,我是个怪物,还是我自己是受害者?如果我是受害者呢? —

In proposing to the object of my passion to elope with me to America or Switzerland, I may have cherished the deepest respect for her and may have thought that I was promoting our mutual happiness! —
在向我热情的对象建议私奔去美国或瑞士时,我可能对她怀有最深的尊重,并认为我在促进我们共同的幸福! —

Reason is the slave of passion, you know; —
理性是激情的奴隶,你知道的; —

why, probably, I was doing more harm to myself than anyone!”
也许,我对自己造成的伤害比对任何人都多!

“But that’s not the point,” Raskolnikov interrupted with disgust. —
“但这不是重点,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫厌恶地打断道。 —

“It’s simply that whether you are right or wrong, we dislike you. —
“只是无论你是对还是错,我们都不喜欢你。 —

We don’t want to have anything to do with you. —
我们不想与你有任何关系。 —

We show you the door. Go out!”
我们给你开门。出去吧!”

Svidrigailov broke into a sudden laugh.
斯维德里加洛夫突然大笑起来。

“But you’re … but there’s no getting round you,” he said, laughing in the frankest way. —
“但你是……但你真是无法捉摸,” 他坦率地笑道。 —

“I hoped to get round you, but you took up the right line at once!”
“我希望能够捉摸你,但你立刻就采取了正确的方式!”

“But you are trying to get round me still!”
“但你仍然在试图捉摸我!”

“What of it? What of it?” cried Svidrigailov, laughing openly. —
“那又怎样?那又怎样?” 斯维德里加洛夫公开地笑着说。 —

“But this is what the French call /bonne guerre/, and the most innocent form of deception! … —
“但这正是法国人所谓的/bonne guerre/,最天真的欺骗形式!……” —

But still you have interrupted me; one way or another, I repeat again: —
但你还是打断了我; 无论如何,我再重复一遍: —

there would never have been any unpleasantness except for what happened in the garden. —
除了在花园里发生的事情,本来不会有任何不愉快。 —

Marfa Petrovna …”
玛尔法·佩特罗夫娜…”

“You have got rid of Marfa Petrovna, too, so they say?” Raskolnikov interrupted rudely.
“你也摆脱了玛尔法·佩特罗夫娜,他们也这么说?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫粗鲁地打断道。

“Oh, you’ve heard that, too, then? You’d be sure to, though… . —
“哦,你也听说了吗?你肯定会听说的,虽然……” —

But as for your question, I really don’t know what to say, though my own conscience is quite at rest on that score. —
但是对于你的问题,我真的不知道该怎么说,虽然我自己的良心对此完全无愧。 —

Don’t suppose that I am in any apprehension about it. All was regular and in order; —
别以为我对这事有任何顾虑。一切都合乎规矩; —

the medical inquiry diagnosed apoplexy due to bathing immediately after a heavy dinner and a bottle of wine, and indeed it could have proved nothing else. —
医学调查断定是因为用餐后立即洗澡和喝了一瓶酒引起的中风,事实上也不可能是别的。 —

But I’ll tell you what I have been thinking to myself of late, on my way here in the train, especially: —
但是我要告诉你最近火车上来的时候我一直在思考的事情,特别是: —

didn’t I contribute to all that … calamity, morally, in a way, by irritation or something of the sort. —
我是否在道德上以某种方式通过愤怒或其他方式对所有那些……灾难做出了贡献。 —

But I came to the conclusion that that, too, was quite out of the question.”
但我得出结论,那也完全是不可能的。”

Raskolnikov laughed.
拉斯科尔尼科夫笑了。

“I wonder you trouble yourself about it!”
“你为什么要为此烦恼!”

“But what are you laughing at? Only consider, I struck her just twice with a switch–there were no marks even . —
“但你笑什么?只考虑,我只用鞭打了她两次–甚至都没有痕迹。 —

. . don’t regard me as a cynic, please; I am perfectly aware how atrocious it was of me and all that; —
……请不要把我看作是愤世嫉俗的人;我完全清楚我做得有多可怕; —

but I know for certain, too, that Marfa Petrovna was very likely pleased at my, so to say, warmth. —
但我确实知道,马尔法·彼得罗芙娜很可能对我的热情感到高兴。 —

The story of your sister had been wrung out to the last drop; —
你姐姐的事情已经被揪心透顶地说过了; —

for the last three days Marfa Petrovna had been forced to sit at home; —
在过去的三天里,马尔法·彼得罗芙娜被迫呆在家里; —

she had nothing to show herself with in the town. —
在这个镇上,她没有什么可以炫耀的东西。 —

Besides, she had bored them so with that letter (you heard about her reading the letter). —
况且,她那封信实在让他们听得很腻烦(你听说过她读信的事)。 —

And all of a sudden those two switches fell from heaven! —
突然间,天上掉下来了那两种紧急情况! —

Her first act was to order the carriage to be got out… . —
她的第一个行动便是命令准备出马车…… —

Not to speak of the fact that there are cases when women are very, very glad to be insulted in spite of all their show of indignation. —
更不用说有时女人即使表现出愤恨,也很高兴被侮辱。 —

There are instances of it with everyone; —
这种情况在每个人身上都有; —

human beings in general, indeed, greatly love to be insulted, have you noticed that? —
事实上,人类普遍喜欢被侮辱,你有没有注意到? —

But it’s particularly so with women. One might even say it’s their only amusement.”
但对女人而言尤其如此。甚至可以说这是她们唯一的娱乐。”

At one time Raskolnikov thought of getting up and walking out and so finishing the interview. —
有一段时间,拉斯科尔尼科夫想起起身走开,结束这次面谈。 —

But some curiosity and even a sort of prudence made him linger for a moment.
但是一些好奇心和甚至是一种谨慎使他多留了一会。

“You are fond of fighting?” he asked carelessly.
“你喜欢打架吗?” 他漫不经心地问道。

“No, not very,” Svidrigailov answered, calmly. “And Marfa Petrovna and I scarcely ever fought. —
“不,不怎么喜欢,”斯维德里盖洛夫平静地回答道。“而我和马尔法·彼得罗芙娜几乎从来没有争吵过。” —

We lived very harmoniously, and she was always pleased with me. —
我们之间相处和谐,她总是对我很满意。 —

I only used the whip twice in all our seven years (not counting a third occasion of a very ambiguous character). —
在我们七年的时间里,我只用过鞭子两次(不算一个性质非常模棱两可的第三次)。 —

The first time, two months after our marriage, immediately after we arrived in the country, and the last time was that of which we are speaking. —
第一次是在我们结婚两个月后,我们抵达乡间后立即使用的,最后一次就是我们现在讨论的。 —

Did you suppose I was such a monster, such a reactionary, such a slave driver? Ha, ha! —
你以为我是这样一个怪兽、这样一个保守派、这样一个奴隶主吗?哈哈! —

By the way, do you remember, Rodion Romanovitch, how a few years ago, in those days of beneficent publicity, a nobleman, I’ve forgotten his name, was put to shame everywhere, in all the papers, for having thrashed a German woman in the railway train. —
顺便问一下,罗狄昂·罗马诺维奇,你还记得几年前在那些充满利好公开的日子里,一个贵族,我忘了他的名字,因为在火车上打了一个德国妇女而受到到处羞辱的事情吗。 —

You remember? It was in those days, that very year I believe, the ‘disgraceful action of the /Age/’ took place (you know, ‘The Egyptian Nights,’ that public reading, you remember? —
你记得吧?就在那些日子,我相信是那一年,发生的《时代》的“可耻行为”(你知道,《埃及之夜》,那个公开朗读,你还记得吗? —

The dark eyes, you know! Ah, the golden days of our youth, where are they?). —
那双深邃的眼睛,你知道!啊,我们青年时代的黄金岁月,它们都去了哪里呢?)。 —

Well, as for the gentleman who thrashed the German, I feel no sympathy with him, because after all what need is there for sympathy? —
嗯,至于那个打了德国人的绅士,我对他没有同情,因为毕竟什么地方需要同情呢? —

But I must say that there are sometimes such provoking ‘Germans’ that I don’t believe there is a progressive who could quite answer for himself. —
但我必须说有时候会有一些让人恼火的“德国人”,我不相信有一个进步派能够完全为自己负责。 —

No one looked at the subject from that point of view then, but that’s the truly humane point of view, I assure you.”
那时候没有人从那个角度看待这个问题,但这才是真正人道主义的观点,我向你保证。”

After saying this, Svidrigailov broke into a sudden laugh again. —
说完这句,斯维德里盖洛夫又突然笑了起来。 —

Raskolnikov saw clearly that this was a man with a firm purpose in his mind and able to keep it to himself.
拉斯科尔尼科夫清楚地看到这是一个心怀坚定目标且能保守秘密的人。

“I expect you’ve not talked to anyone for some days?” he asked.
“你几天没跟人说过话吧?”他问道。

“Scarcely anyone. I suppose you are wondering at my being such an adaptable man?”
“几乎没跟任何人。我猜你在惊讶我为什么是如此善于适应的人?”

“No, I am only wondering at your being too adaptable a man.”
“没有,我只是在惊讶你为何会是一个过于善于适应的人。”

“Because I am not offended at the rudeness of your questions? Is that it? But why take offence? —
因为我并不因为你的问题粗鲁而感到生气?是这样吗?但为什么要生气呢? —

As you asked, so I answered,” he replied, with a surprising expression of simplicity. —
正如你问的,我就回答了,”他简单地回答道。 —

“You know, there’s hardly anything I take interest in,” he went on, as it were dreamily, “especially now, I’ve nothing to do. —
“你知道,几乎没有什么能引起我的兴趣,”他继续说,仿佛在做梦一样,”特别是现在,我没事可做。 —

… You are quite at liberty to imagine though that I am making up to you with a motive, particularly as I told you I want to see your sister about something. —
……你可以自由地想象我是出于某种动机想讨好你,尤其是我告诉你我要见你姐姐有事。 —

But I’ll confess frankly, I am very much bored. —
但我坦白地说,我感到极其无聊。 —

The last three days especially, so I am delighted to see you… . —
尤其是最近三天,所以见到你我感到很高兴…… —

Don’t be angry, Rodion Romanovitch, but you seem to be somehow awfully strange yourself. —
别生气,罗狄昂·罗马诺维奇,但你自己似乎也有些奇怪。 —

Say what you like, there’s something wrong with you, and now, too … —
说什么都行,你有些问题,而且,现在也是……不是这一刻,我是说,但现在,一般来说…… —

not this very minute, I mean, but now, generally… . —
好吧,好吧,我不会,我不会,别皱眉! —

Well, well, I won’t, I won’t, don’t scowl! —
你知道,你认为的那样,我并不像你想的那样糙。 —

I am not such a bear, you know, as you think.”
罗德扬科夫阴郁地看着他。

Raskolnikov looked gloomily at him.
“或许,你根本不是糙的,”他说。

“You are not a bear, perhaps, at all,” he said. —
“我想你确实是一个很有教养的人,或者至少知道在必要时如何表现得像一个,”斯维杰瓦伊洛夫干脆而甚至有点傲慢地回答道。 —

“I fancy indeed that you are a man of very good breeding, or at least know how on occasion to behave like one.”
“我对任何人的意见都不特别感兴趣,”斯维杰瓦伊洛夫干脆且带着一丝傲慢地回答道,”因此,为什么在某些时候不使用粗俗,粗俗在我们这个氛围中是如此方便的一件披风。

“I am not particularly interested in anyone’s opinion,” Svidrigailov answered, dryly and even with a shade of haughtiness, “and therefore why not be vulgar at times when vulgarity is such a convenient cloak for our climate . —
“不要太在意别人的看法,不是吗?”他的话语里有一种玩世不恭的态度。 —

. . and especially if one has a natural propensity that way,” he added, laughing again.
“尤其是如果一个人天生就有这种倾向,”他笑着补充道。

“But I’ve heard you have many friends here. You are, as they say, ‘not without connections.’ —
“但我听说你在这里有很多朋友。你可以说‘并非没有联系’。” —

What can you want with me, then, unless you’ve some special object?”
“那么你找我有什么事吗,除非你有特别的目的?”

“That’s true that I have friends here,” Svidrigailov admitted, not replying to the chief point. —
“确实我在这里有朋友,”斯维德里加洛夫承认,没有回答重点。 —

“I’ve met some already. I’ve been lounging about for the last three days, and I’ve seen them, or they’ve seen me. —
“我已经见过一些了。我已经在这里闲逛了三天,我见过他们,或者他们见过我。” —

That’s a matter of course. I am well dressed and reckoned not a poor man; —
“这是理所当然的。我穿着讲究,被认为不是一个穷人;” —

the emancipation of the serfs hasn’t affected me; —
“农奴解放对我没有影响;” —

my property consists chiefly of forests and water meadows. The revenue has not fallen off; but . . —
“我的财产主要是森林和水草地。收入并没有减少;但是. .” —

. I am not going to see them, I was sick of them long ago. —
“我不打算去见他们,我早就厌倦了他们。” —

I’ve been here three days and have called on no one… . What a town it is! —
“我在这里已经三天了,一个人都没有拜访… . 这是个什么城镇啊!” —

How has it come into existence among us, tell me that? —
“它是怎么出现在我们之间的,告诉我这个。” —

A town of officials and students of all sorts. —
“一个官员和各种学生的城镇。” —

Yes, there’s a great deal I didn’t notice when I was here eight years ago, kicking up my heels. —
“是的,还有很多我八年前在这里的时候没注意到的东西,自己放纵的时候。” —

… My only hope now is in anatomy, by Jove, it is!”
“… 我现在唯一的希望在于解剖,天哪,就是这样!”

“Anatomy?”
“解剖?”

“But as for these clubs, Dussauts, parades, or progress, indeed, maybe –well, all that can go on without me,” he went on, again without noticing the question. —
“至于这些俱乐部、度沙、游行,或者进步,实际上,也许——嗯,所有这些都可以在没有我的情况下继续,”他继续说道,再次没有注意到问题。 —

“Besides, who wants to be a card-sharper?”
“另外,谁想成为一个赌棍呢?”

“Why, have you been a card-sharper then?”
“哦,那你就是一个赌棍吗?”

“How could I help being? There was a regular set of us, men of the best society, eight years ago; —
“我怎么可能不是呢?八年前,我们一群人,社会上的精英,一直过得很愉快。 —

we had a fine time. And all men of breeding, you know, poets, men of property. —
我们都是高素质的人,诗人、有财产的人。 —

And indeed as a rule in our Russian society the best manners are found among those who’ve been thrashed, have you noticed that? —
而事实上,通常在我们的俄罗斯社会中,最好的礼仪是在那些被打败过的人中找到的,你有没有注意到? —

I’ve deteriorated in the country. But I did get into prison for debt, through a low Greek who came from Nezhin. —
在乡下我变得越来越糟糕。但我确实因为一个来自涅热辛的低劣的希腊人而因债务入狱。” —

Then Marfa Petrovna turned up; she bargained with him and bought me off for thirty thousand silver pieces (I owed seventy thousand). —
然后马尔法·彼得罗芙娜出现了; 她与他讨价还价,以三万银币买下我(我欠了七万)。 —

We were united in lawful wedlock and she bore me off into the country like a treasure. —
我们合法结为夫妻,她像一宝贝把我带到了乡下。 —

You know she was five years older than I. She was very fond of me. —
你知道她比我大五岁。她非常疼爱我。 —

For seven years I never left the country. —
七年间我从未离开过乡下。 —

And, take note, that all my life she held a document over me, the IOU for thirty thousand roubles, so if I were to elect to be restive about anything I should be trapped at once! —
而且要注意,她一辈子都拿着一张欠条压着我,三万卢布的欠条,所以如果我对任何事情不满意,我就会被逼入困境! —

And she would have done it! Women find nothing incompatible in that.”
她肯定会这样做!女人觉得这没有什么不可兼容的。

“If it hadn’t been for that, would you have given her the slip?”
“如果不是因为这个,你会甩掉她吗?”

“I don’t know what to say. It was scarcely the document restrained me. —
“我不知道该说什么。这几乎不是因为那张欠条约束着我。 —

I didn’t want to go anywhere else. Marfa Petrovna herself invited me to go abroad, seeing I was bored, but I’ve been abroad before, and always felt sick there. —
我不想去别的地方。马尔法·彼得罗芙娜邀请我出国,因为看到我感到厌倦,但我以前已经出国过,而且总觉得那里让人不舒服。 —

For no reason, but the sunrise, the bay of Naples, the sea–you look at them and it makes you sad. —
没理由,但日出,那不勒斯湾,大海–你看着它们就会感到伤感。 —

What’s most revolting is that one is really sad! No, it’s better at home. —
最让人厌恶的是,人真的会感到伤感!不,还是在家里好。 —

Here at least one blames others for everything and excuses oneself. —
这里至少人们会责备别人,并为自己辩解。 —

I should have gone perhaps on an expedition to the North Pole, because /j’ai le vin mauvais/ and hate drinking, and there’s nothing left but wine. —
也许我本可以去北极探险,因为/j’ai le vin mauvais/而讨厌喝酒,也没什么好的了,只剩下酒。 —

I have tried it. But, I say, I’ve been told Berg is going up in a great balloon next Sunday from the Yusupov Garden and will take up passengers at a fee. Is it true?”
我试过了。但,我说,听说伯格将在星期日从尤苏波夫花园乘坐大气球升空,并接受付费乘客。那是真的吗?”

“Why, would you go up?”
“哦,你会去吗?”

“I … No, oh, no,” muttered Svidrigailov really seeming to be deep in thought.
“我……不,哦,不可能。” 斯维杰加洛夫喃喃自语,似乎陷入深思。

“What does he mean? Is he in earnest?” Raskolnikov wondered.
“他是什么意思?他是认真的吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫在想。

“No, the document didn’t restrain me,” Svidrigailov went on, meditatively. —
“不,这份文件并没有束缚住我。” 斯维杰加洛夫沉思着继续说道。 —

“It was my own doing, not leaving the country, and nearly a year ago Marfa Petrovna gave me back the document on my name- day and made me a present of a considerable sum of money, too. —
“不离开这个国家是我自己的决定,差不多一年前,玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜在我的名字日时把文件还给了我,并且还送给我一大笔钱呢。 —

She had a fortune, you know. ‘You see how I trust you, Arkady Ivanovitch’– that was actually her expression. —
她有一大笔遗产,你应该知道。‘你看我是多么相信你啊,阿尔卡季·伊万诺维奇’— 她实际上是这么说的。 —

You don’t believe she used it? But do you know I managed the estate quite decently, they know me in the neighbourhood. —
你不相信她会用吗?但是你知道我把庄园管理得相当不错,周围的人都认识我。 —

I ordered books, too. Marfa Petrovna at first approved, but afterwards she was afraid of my over-studying.”
我也买了书。玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜一开始是同意的,但后来她怕我学习过度。”

“You seem to be missing Marfa Petrovna very much?”
“你似乎很想念玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜?”

“Missing her? Perhaps. Really, perhaps I am. And, by the way, do you believe in ghosts?”
“想念她?也许吧。真的,也许我是。另外,你相信鬼吗?”

“What ghosts?”
“什么鬼?”

“Why, ordinary ghosts.”
“普通的鬼。”

“Do you believe in them?”
“你相信它们吗?”

“Perhaps not, /pour vous plaire/… . I wouldn’t say no exactly.”
“也许不,/为了你的满意/…… 我不能全然否定。”

“Do you see them, then?”
“那你看得见它们吗?”

Svidrigailov looked at him rather oddly.
斯维杰加洛夫有点奇怪地看着他。

“Marfa Petrovna is pleased to visit me,” he said, twisting his mouth into a strange smile.
“马尔法·彼得罗夫娜很高兴来看我,”他扭曲着嘴角,露出奇怪的笑容。

“How do you mean ‘she is pleased to visit you’?”
“你是怎么说 ‘她很高兴来看你’ 的呢?”

“She has been three times. I saw her first on the very day of the funeral, an hour after she was buried. —
“她来过三次。第一次是在葬礼当天,葬礼结束后一个小时我就见到了她。 —

It was the day before I left to come here. —
那是我来这里之前的一天。 —

The second time was the day before yesterday, at daybreak, on the journey at the station of Malaya Vishera, and the third time was two hours ago in the room where I am staying. I was alone.”
第二次是前天黎明时分,在前往马拉亚维谢拉的车站,第三次则是两个小时前在我住的房间里。那时我是独自一人。

“Were you awake?”
“你当时是清醒着的吗?”

“Quite awake. I was wide awake every time. —
“完全清醒。每次我都很清醒。 —

She comes, speaks to me for a minute and goes out at the door–always at the door. —
她走了进来,和我讲了一分钟话,然后就走出门——总是在门口。 —

I can almost hear her.”
我几乎能听到她的声音。”

“What made me think that something of the sort must be happening to you?” —
“是什么让我觉得你也许正在经历这样的事情?” —

Raskolnikov said suddenly.
罗迪昂科夫突然说道。

At the same moment he was surprised at having said it. He was much excited.
就在这时,他对自己说出这番话感到惊讶。他激动不已。

“What! Did you think so?” Svidrigailov asked in astonishment. “Did you really? —
“什么!你以为这样吗?”斯维德里加洛夫惊讶地问道。“你真的? —

Didn’t I say that there was something in common between us, eh?”
我不是说我们之间有些共同之处了吗,嘛?”

“You never said so!” Raskolnikov cried sharply and with heat.
“你从来没说过!”罗迪昂科夫尖刻地、愤怒地喊道。

“Didn’t I?”
“我没有吗?”

“No!”
“没有!”

“I thought I did. When I came in and saw you lying with your eyes shut, pretending, I said to myself at once, ‘Here’s the man.’”
“我觉得我说过。当我走进来看见你闭着眼睛躺着,假装的时候,我马上想到,‘这就是那个人。’”

“What do you mean by ‘the man?’ What are you talking about?” cried Raskolnikov.
“你说的‘那个人’是什么意思?你在说什么?”罗迪昂科夫大声问道。

“What do I mean? I really don’t know… .” —
“我是什么意思?我真的不知道……” —

Svidrigailov muttered ingenuously, as though he, too, were puzzled.
斯维德里加洛夫装作很天真地嘀咕道,好像他也感到困惑。

For a minute they were silent. They stared in each other’s faces.
他们沉默了一会儿。他们互相凝视着对方的脸。

“That’s all nonsense!” Raskolnikov shouted with vexation. —
“这完全是胡扯!” 拉斯科尔尼科夫愤怒地喊道。 —

“What does she say when she comes to you?”
“她来找你时说了些什么?”

“She! Would you believe it, she talks of the silliest trifles and–man is a strange creature–it makes me angry. —
“她!你会相信吗,她说一些最愚蠢的琐事——人真是个奇怪的动物——这让我很恼火。” —

The first time she came in (I was tired you know: —
第一次她进来的时候(你知道我很累: —

the funeral service, the funeral ceremony, the lunch afterwards. —
葬礼服务,宗教仪式,之后的午餐。 —

At last I was left alone in my study. I lighted a cigar and began to think), she came in at the door. —
最后我独自一人留在书房。我点燃了一支雪茄,开始思考),她走进了门。 —

‘You’ve been so busy to-day, Arkady Ivanovitch, you have forgotten to wind the dining- room clock,’ she said. —
“阿尔卡季·伊凡诺维奇,你今天忙得忘了给餐厅的时钟上发条,”她说。 —

All those seven years I’ve wound that clock every week, and if I forgot it she would always remind me. —
所有那七年我每周都会给闹钟上发条,如果我忘了,她总会提醒我。 —

The next day I set off on my way here. I got out at the station at daybreak; —
第二天天亮时我就动身前往这里。在车站下车; —

I’d been asleep, tired out, with my eyes half open, I was drinking some coffee. —
我已经疲惫地睡着了,眼睛半睁半闭,我在喝咖啡。 —

I looked up and there was suddenly Marfa Petrovna sitting beside me with a pack of cards in her hands. —
我抬头看见玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜突然坐在我旁边手里拿着一副牌。 —

‘Shall I tell your fortune for the journey, Arkady Ivanovitch?’ —
‘阿尔卡季·伊万诺维奇,要我给你占卜一下这次旅途的命运吗?’ —

She was a great hand at telling fortunes. I shall never forgive myself for not asking her to. —
她擅长占卜。我永远不能原谅自己没有请她占卜一下。 —

I ran away in a fright, and, besides, the bell rang. —
我吓得溜之大吉,此外,铃声响了。 —

I was sitting to-day, feeling very heavy after a miserable dinner from a cookshop; —
今天我吃完一个难吃的熟食店晚餐后感到十分沉重; —

I was sitting smoking, all of a sudden Marfa Petrovna again. —
我坐着抽烟时,突然又是玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜。 —

She came in very smart in a new green silk dress with a long train. ‘Good day, Arkady Ivanovitch! —
她穿着一身漂亮的新绿色丝绸长裙出现。’你好,阿尔卡季·伊万诺维奇! —

How do you like my dress? Aniska can’t make like this.’ —
你觉得我的裙子怎么样?安尼斯卡做不出这样的。’ —

(Aniska was a dressmaker in the country, one of our former serf girls who had been trained in Moscow, a pretty wench. —
(安尼斯卡是农村的一个裁缝,以前是我们的农奴女孩,在莫斯科接受过培训,一位漂亮的姑娘。 —

) She stood turning round before me. I looked at the dress, and then I looked carefully, very carefully, at her face. —
) 她在我面前转了一个圈。我看了看裙子,然后仔细地、非常仔细地看了看她的脸。 —

‘I wonder you trouble to come to me about such trifles, Marfa Petrovna.’ —
‘玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜,你为这种小事找我也太麻烦了吧。’ —

‘Good gracious, you won’t let one disturb you about anything!’ —
‘天哪,你怎么能让人为这点小事烦扰你呢!’ —

To tease her I said, ‘I want to get married, Marfa Petrovna.’ —
我揶揄她说,“玛尔法·彼得罗夫娜,我想结婚。” —

‘That’s just like you, Arkady Ivanovitch; —
“这完全像你,阿尔卡季·伊万诺维奇; —

it does you very little credit to come looking for a bride when you’ve hardly buried your wife. —
你才刚埋葬了妻子,就来找新娘,这让你的名声受损很大。 —

And if you could make a good choice, at least, but I know it won’t be for your happiness or hers, you will only be a laughing-stock to all good people.’ —
而且,即使你能做出一个好选择,但我知道这并不会为你带来幸福,也不会为她带来幸福,你只会成为所有正直的人眼中的笑柄。” —

Then she went out and her train seemed to rustle. Isn’t it nonsense, eh?”
接着她就走出去,她的裙摆似乎在沙沙作响。这不是胡说吗?”

“But perhaps you are telling lies?” Raskolnikov put in.
“但也许你在撒谎?”拉斯科尔尼科夫插话道。

“I rarely lie,” answered Svidrigailov thoughtfully, apparently not noticing the rudeness of the question.
“我很少说谎,”斯维杰里加洛夫冥想着回答,显然没有注意到问题的无礼。

“And in the past, have you ever seen ghosts before?”
“而且,在过去,你曾经见过鬼吗?

“Y-yes, I have seen them, but only once in my life, six years ago. I had a serf, Filka; —
“是的,我见过,但只有一次,那是六年前。我有一个农奴,菲尔卡; —

just after his burial I called out forgetting ‘Filka, my pipe!’ —
就在他葬礼后我叫他忘情地说,‘菲尔卡,我烟斗!’ —

He came in and went to the cupboard where my pipes were. —
他进来走到我的烟斗柜子那里。 —

I sat still and thought ‘he is doing it out of revenge,’ because we had a violent quarrel just before his death. —
我坐在那里想,‘他是出于报复才这么做的’,因为他在去世前我们发生了激烈的争吵。 —

‘How dare you come in with a hole in your elbow?’ I said. ‘Go away, you scamp!’ —
‘你敢穿着袖子有个洞进来吗?’我说。‘快滚,小淘气!’ —

He turned and went out, and never came again. —
他转身走出去,再也没有回来过。 —

I didn’t tell Marfa Petrovna at the time. —
那时我没有告诉玛尔法·彼得罗夫娜。 —

I wanted to have a service sung for him, but I was ashamed.”
我想为他唱一首赞美诗,但我感到羞愧。

“You should go to a doctor.”
“你应该去看医生。”

“I know I am not well, without your telling me, though I don’t know what’s wrong; —
“我知道自己不舒服,不用你告诉我,尽管我不知道出了什么问题; —

I believe I am five times as strong as you are. —
我相信我比你强五倍。 —

I didn’t ask you whether you believe that ghosts are seen, but whether you believe that they exist.”
我没有问你是否相信会见到鬼,而是问你是否相信它们的存在。”

“No, I won’t believe it!” Raskolnikov cried, with positive anger.
“不,我不相信!” 拉斯科尔尼科夫愤怒地喊道。

“What do people generally say?” muttered Svidrigailov, as though speaking to himself, looking aside and bowing his head. —
“人们通常怎么说?” 斯维杰加洛夫喃喃自语,一边看着他,一边低下头。 —

“They say, ‘You are ill, so what appears to you is only unreal fantasy.’ —
“他们说,’你病了,所以你看到的只是不真实的幻觉。’ —

But that’s not strictly logical. I agree that ghosts only appear to the sick, but that only proves that they are unable to appear except to the sick, not that they don’t exist.”
但这并不严谨。我承认鬼只会出现给病人看,但这只证明它们只能出现给病人看,而不是它们不存在。”

“Nothing of the sort,” Raskolnikov insisted irritably.
“根本不是这样,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫愤怒地坚持说。

“No? You don’t think so?” Svidrigailov went on, looking at him deliberately. —
“不是吗?你不这么认为吗?” 斯维杰加洛夫继续看着他,有意思地问道。 —

“But what do you say to this argument (help me with it): —
“但你对这个论点有什么说法(帮我分析): —

ghosts are, as it were, shreds and fragments of other worlds, the beginning of them. —
鬼是另一个世界的碎片和残余,它们的起源。 —

A man in health has, of course, no reason to see them, because he is above all a man of this earth and is bound for the sake of completeness and order to live only in this life. —
一个健康的人当然没有理由看到它们,因为他高于一切是这个世界的人,也因为为了完整和秩序,他只能生活在这个生活中。 —

But as soon as one is ill, as soon as the normal earthly order of the organism is broken, one begins to realise the possibility of another world; —
但当一个人生病,当生态有序的机体受到打破,他就开始意识到另一个世界的可能性;” —

and the more seriously ill one is, the closer becomes one’s contact with that other world, so that as soon as the man dies he steps straight into that world. —
而且人越严重地生病,就越接近那个世界,以至于一旦人死亡,就直接踏入那个世界。 —

I thought of that long ago. If you believe in a future life, you could believe in that, too.”
我很久以前就想过了。如果你相信有来世,那么你也可以相信这一点。”

“I don’t believe in a future life,” said Raskolnikov.
“我不相信有来世,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫说。

Svidrigailov sat lost in thought.
思维格洛夫陷入了沉思。

“And what if there are only spiders there, or something of that sort,” he said suddenly.
“如果那里只有蜘蛛,或者类似的东西怎么办,” 他突然说道。

“He is a madman,” thought Raskolnikov.
“他是个疯子,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫想。

“We always imagine eternity as something beyond our conception, something vast, vast! —
“我们总是将永恒想象成超出我们概念之外的东西,非常庞大! —

But why must it be vast? Instead of all that, what if it’s one little room, like a bath house in the country, black and grimy and spiders in every corner, and that’s all eternity is? —
但为什么必须是庞大的?相反,如果它只是一个小房间,就像乡村的浴室,黑乎乎的,角落里到处都是蜘蛛,那就是永恒的全部? —

I sometimes fancy it like that.”
我有时这样想象。”

“Can it be you can imagine nothing juster and more comforting than that?” Raskolnikov cried, with a feeling of anguish.
“难道你能想象没有比这更公正和令人安慰的事情了吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫感到痛苦地喊道。

“Juster? And how can we tell, perhaps that is just, and do you know it’s what I would certainly have made it,” answered Svidrigailov, with a vague smile.
“更公正?我们又怎么能知道,也许那正是公正的,你知道这是我肯定会做的,” 思维格洛夫含糊地笑着回答。

This horrible answer sent a cold chill through Raskolnikov. —
这恐怖的回答让拉斯科尔尼科夫感到一阵寒意。 —

Svidrigailov raised his head, looked at him, and suddenly began laughing.
思维格洛夫抬起头,看着他,突然开始笑了起来。

“Only think,” he cried, “half an hour ago we had never seen each other, we regarded each other as enemies; —
“想想,” 他喊道,”仅仅半个小时前我们还不认识对方,视对方为敌人; —

there is a matter unsettled between us; we’ve thrown it aside, and away we’ve gone into the abstract! —
我们之间还有一个未了之事;我们把这事抛在一边,然后我们陷入了抽象之中!” —

Wasn’t I right in saying that we were birds of a feather?”
我说我们是一丘之貉,难道我错了吗?

“Kindly allow me,” Raskolnikov went on irritably, “to ask you to explain why you have honoured me with your visit . —
请允许我问一下,你为何如此荣幸来拜访我。 —

. . and … and I am in a hurry, I have no time to waste. I want to go out.”
我很匆忙,没有时间浪费。我想出门。

“By all means, by all means. Your sister, Avdotya Romanovna, is going to be married to Mr. Luzhin, Pyotr Petrovitch?”
您姐姐,阿芙多茨婷娜,要和卢日欣先生结婚?

“Can you refrain from any question about my sister and from mentioning her name? —
您可否不提到我姐姐并且不提及她的名字? —

I can’t understand how you dare utter her name in my presence, if you really are Svidrigailov.”
如果您真的是斯维杰戈洛夫,我无法理解您怎么还敢在我面前提她的名字。

“Why, but I’ve come here to speak about her; how can I avoid mentioning her?”
我来这里是为了谈论她;我怎么能不提到她呢?

“Very good, speak, but make haste.”
好的,说吧,但请快点。

“I am sure that you must have formed your own opinion of this Mr. Luzhin, who is a connection of mine through my wife, if you have only seen him for half an hour, or heard any facts about him. —
我确信您一定对我家的联姻对象卢日欣先生已经有了自己的看法,即使您只见过他半个小时,或听说过他的一些情况。 —

He is no match for Avdotya Romanovna. I believe Avdotya Romanovna is sacrificing herself generously and imprudently for the sake of . —
他配不上阿芙多茨婷娜。我相信阿芙多茨婷娜是为了家人的利益而慷慨牺牲,而且是不明智的。 —

. . for the sake of her family. I fancied from all I had heard of you that you would be very glad if the match could be broken off without the sacrifice of worldly advantages. —
我从你的一切听说中想象,如果能不牺牲世俗的好处就取消这一联姻,你一定会很高兴。 —

Now I know you personally, I am convinced of it.”
现在我亲自认识你,我相信了。

“All this is very naive … excuse me, I should have said impudent on your part,” said Raskolnikov.
“这都太幼稚……抱歉,我应该说是你的鲁莽,”拉斯科尔尼科夫说。

“You mean to say that I am seeking my own ends. —
你是说我在谋求自己的利益。 —

Don’t be uneasy, Rodion Romanovitch, if I were working for my own advantage, I would not have spoken out so directly. —
罗季翁·罗马诺维奇,请放心,如果我是为了自身利益,我就不会如此直言不讳了。 —

I am not quite a fool. I will confess something psychologically curious about that: —
我并不是个傻瓜。我要承认一些在心理上有些奇怪的事情: —

just now, defending my love for Avdotya Romanovna, I said I was myself the victim. —
刚才在为我对Avdotya Romanovna的爱辩护时,我说我自己是受害者。 —

Well, let me tell you that I’ve no feeling of love now, not the slightest, so that I wonder myself indeed, for I really did feel something …”
好吧,让我告诉你们我现在没有任何爱的感觉,一点也没有,以至于我自己都感到很奇怪,因为我确实有过感觉…”

“Through idleness and depravity,” Raskolnikov put in.
“是因为懒惰和堕落,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫插话道。

“I certainly am idle and depraved, but your sister has such qualities that even I could not help being impressed by them. —
“我当然是懒惰和堕落的,但你的姐姐有着那些品质,连我也不能不被感动。 —

But that’s all nonsense, as I see myself now.”
但那都是废话,我现在看到自己是这样的.”

“Have you seen that long?”
“你看了多久了?”

“I began to be aware of it before, but was only perfectly sure of it the day before yesterday, almost at the moment I arrived in Petersburg. —
“在之前我开始意识到了,不过直到前天几乎是在我到达彼得堡的那一刻,我才彻底确定。 —

I still fancied in Moscow, though, that I was coming to try to get Avdotya Romanovna’s hand and to cut out Mr. Luzhin.”
在莫斯科,我依然幻想着我是来试图追求Avdotya Romanovna的手并淘汰卢日因先生.”

“Excuse me for interrupting you; kindly be brief, and come to the object of your visit. —
“请原谅我插话;请简洁一些,谈谈你来访的目的。 —

I am in a hurry, I want to go out …”
我很匆忙,我想出去…”

“With the greatest pleasure. On arriving here and determining on a certain … —
“非常愿意。在到达这里并决定进行一次特定的… —

journey, I should like to make some necessary preliminary arrangements. —
旅程时,我想做一些必要的预备工作。 —

I left my children with an aunt; they are well provided for; —
我把孩子们留给了一个姑妈;他们得到了很好的照料; —

and they have no need of me personally. And a nice father I should make, too! —
他们不需要我亲自照顾。而且我会是个什么样的好父亲啊! —

I have taken nothing but what Marfa Petrovna gave me a year ago. That’s enough for me. —
我只拿了玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜一年前给我的东西。这对我已经足够了。 —

Excuse me, I am just coming to the point. —
对不起,我只是想直奔主题。 —

Before the journey which may come off, I want to settle Mr. Luzhin, too. —
在即将实现的旅程之前,我也想解决一下卢济因先生。 —

It’s not that I detest him so much, but it was through him I quarrelled with Marfa Petrovna when I learned that she had dished up this marriage. —
不是我那么讨厌他,而是因为通过他我与玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜吵了一架,当我得知她为我安排了这场婚姻。 —

I want now to see Avdotya Romanovna through your mediation, and if you like in your presence, to explain to her that in the first place she will never gain anything but harm from Mr. Luzhin. —
我现在想通过你们的介入,如你所愿地在场的情况下,向阿夫多琳娜·罗曼诺芙解释,首先,她与卢济因先生一无所获,只会受到伤害。 —

Then, begging her pardon for all past unpleasantness, to make her a present of ten thousand roubles and so assist the rupture with Mr. Luzhin, a rupture to which I believe she is herself not disinclined, if she could see the way to it.”
然后,请求她原谅以前所有的不快,送给她一笔一万卢布的礼物,帮助与卢济因先生的分离,我相信她本人也不反对这种分离,只要她看到这条路。

“You are certainly mad,” cried Raskolnikov not so much angered as astonished. —
“你绝对疯了,”拉斯科尔尼科夫不是很生气,而是惊讶地说。 —

“How dare you talk like that!”
“你怎么敢这样说!”

“I knew you would scream at me; but in the first place, though I am not rich, this ten thousand roubles is perfectly free; —
“我知道你会对我尖声叫喊;但首先,尽管我并不富有,这一万卢布完全是自愿的; —

I have absolutely no need for it. If Avdotya Romanovna does not accept it, I shall waste it in some more foolish way. —
我根本不需要它。如果阿夫多琳娜·罗曼诺芙不接受,我就会用更愚蠢的方式浪费它。 —

That’s the first thing. Secondly, my conscience is perfectly easy; —
这是一件事。其次,我问心无愧; —

I make the offer with no ulterior motive. —
我的提议毫无险恶企图。 —

You may not believe it, but in the end Avdotya Romanovna and you will know. —
也许你不相信,但最终阿夫多琳娜·罗曼诺芙和你会明白。 —

The point is, that I did actually cause your sister, whom I greatly respect, some trouble and unpleasantness, and so, sincerely regretting it, I want–not to compensate, not to repay her for the unpleasantness, but simply to do something to her advantage, to show that I am not, after all, privileged to do nothing but harm. —
重点是,我实际上给您尊敬的姐姐造成了一些麻烦和不快,因此,真诚地为此感到遗憾,我想–不是为了弥补,不是为了偿还她所受的不快,而只是为了做些对她有利的事情,以表明我并非只会造成危害。 —

If there were a millionth fraction of self-interest in my offer, I should not have made it so openly; —
如果我的提议中有我自身利益的千分之一,我绝不会如此公开地提出; —

and I should not have offered her ten thousand only, when five weeks ago I offered her more, Besides, I may, perhaps, very soon marry a young lady, and that alone ought to prevent suspicion of any design on Avdotya Romanovna. —
我不应该只给她提供一万,五周前我给她提供了更多。而且,也许很快我就会和一个年轻女士结婚,这一点本来就应该防止人们怀疑我对阿夫多茨儿·罗曼诺芙娜有什么企图。 —

In conclusion, let me say that in marrying Mr. Luzhin, she is taking money just the same, only from another man. —
总之,我要说,在嫁给卢日因先生时,她只是在从另一个人那里获得金钱。 —

Don’t be angry, Rodion Romanovitch, think it over coolly and quietly.”
不要生气,罗季翁·罗曼诺维奇,冷静地仔细考虑一下。

Svidrigailov himself was exceedingly cool and quiet as he was saying this.
说这话时,斯维德里盖洛夫本人是极其冷静而平静的。

“I beg you to say no more,” said Raskolnikov. “In any case this is unpardonable impertinence.”
“请不要再说了,”犯罪与惩罚说,”不管怎样,这是不可饶恕的无礼。”

“Not in the least. Then a man may do nothing but harm to his neighbour in this world, and is prevented from doing the tiniest bit of good by trivial conventional formalities. —
“一点也不是。那么,一个人可能在这个世界上对邻居一无是处,而受到琐碎的常规形式的阻碍,无法做丝毫好事。 —

That’s absurd. If I died, for instance, and left that sum to your sister in my will, surely she wouldn’t refuse it?”
那太荒谬了。比如,如果我死了,在遗嘱里留下这笔钱给你妹妹,她肯定不会拒绝吧?

“Very likely she would.”
“很可能她会拒绝。”

“Oh, no, indeed. However, if you refuse it, so be it, though ten thousand roubles is a capital thing to have on occasion. —
“哦,不,绝对不会。不过,如果你拒绝,那就算了,虽然一万卢布在某些场合是一笔不错的财物。 —

In any case I beg you to repeat what I have said to Avdotya Romanovna.”
无论如何,我请你重复我对阿夫多茨儿·罗曼诺芙娜说的话。

“No, I won’t.”
“不,我不会的。”

“In that case, Rodion Romanovitch, I shall be obliged to try and see her myself and worry her by doing so.”
“那样的话,罗季翁·罗曼诺维奇,我将不得不努力亲自见她,以此烦扰她。

“And if I do tell her, will you not try to see her?”
“如果我告诉她,你不会尝试见她吗?

“I don’t know really what to say. I should like very much to see her once more.”
“我真的不知道该说什么。我很想再见她一面。

“Don’t hope for it.”
“别抱希望了。”

“I’m sorry. But you don’t know me. Perhaps we may become better friends.”
“对不起。但你并不认识我。也许我们可以成为更好的朋友。”

“You think we may become friends?”
“你觉得我们会成为朋友吗?”

“And why not?” Svidrigailov said, smiling. He stood up and took his hat. —
“为什么不呢?” 斯维德里加洛夫笑着说。他站起来戴上帽子。 —

“I didn’t quite intend to disturb you and I came here without reckoning on it . . —
“我并没有完全打算打扰你,我来这里并没有考虑到这一点……” —

. though I was very much struck by your face this morning.”
“尽管我今天早上看见你的脸感到很震惊。”

“Where did you see me this morning?” Raskolnikov asked uneasily.
“你今天早上在哪里看见我了?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫不安地问道。

“I saw you by chance… . I kept fancying there is something about you like me… . —
“我碰巧看见了你……我一直觉得你有点像我……” —

But don’t be uneasy. I am not intrusive; —
“但你不必担心。我并不喜欢打扰别人;” —

I used to get on all right with card-sharpers, and I never bored Prince Svirbey, a great personage who is a distant relation of mine, and I could write about Raphael’s /Madonna/ in Madam Prilukov’s album, and I never left Marfa Petrovna’s side for seven years, and I used to stay the night at Viazemsky’s house in the Hay Market in the old days, and I may go up in a balloon with Berg, perhaps.”
“过去我和赌棍相处得很好,我从未让斯维尔贝大人觉得无聊,他是我远房亲戚,我能在普里卢科夫夫人的画册上写下拉斐尔的《圣母子像》,我从未离开玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜身边七年,过去我常在旧市场哈耶市场的维亚兹姆斯基家过夜,也许我还会和伯格一起乘热气球上天呢。”

“Oh, all right. Are you starting soon on your travels, may I ask?”
“哦,好的。你马上要开始旅行了吗,我可以问吗?”

“What travels?”
“什么旅行?”

“Why, on that ‘journey’; you spoke of it yourself.”
“为什么,你说过那个‘旅程’;你自己提到的。”

“A journey? Oh, yes. I did speak of a journey. Well, that’s a wide subject… . —
“一段旅程?哦,对了。我确实提到了一段旅程。嗯,这是一个很广泛的话题……” —

if only you knew what you are asking,” he added, and gave a sudden, loud, short laugh. —
“如果你知道你在问什么的话,” 他补充说,并突然发出了一个大声、短促的笑声。 —

“Perhaps I’ll get married instead of the journey. —
“也许我会选择结婚而不是旅行。” —

They’re making a match for me.”
他们正在为我物色一个对象。

“Here?”
“就在这里吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“How have you had time for that?”
“你怎么有时间干这个?”

“But I am very anxious to see Avdotya Romanovna once. I earnestly beg it. —
“但我非常急于见一见阿夫多琪娅·罗马诺芙娜。我真诚地请求。” —

Well, good-bye for the present. Oh, yes. I have forgotten something. —
好了,目前就告辞了。哦,对了,我忘了一件事。 —

Tell your sister, Rodion Romanovitch, that Marfa Petrovna remembered her in her will and left her three thousand roubles. —
告诉你的妹妹,罗季翁·罗马诺维奇,玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜在遗嘱中记得她,留下她三千卢布。 —

That’s absolutely certain. Marfa Petrovna arranged it a week before her death, and it was done in my presence. —
那是绝对确定的。玛尔法·佩特罗芙娜在她去世前一周安排好了这件事,在我面前就办妥了。 —

Avdotya Romanovna will be able to receive the money in two or three weeks.”
阿夫多琪娅·罗马诺芙娜将能在两三个星期内领到这笔钱。”

“Are you telling the truth?”
“你说的是真的吗?”

“Yes, tell her. Well, your servant. I am staying very near you.”
“是的,告诉她。好了,你的仆人。我就住在你附近。”

As he went out, Svidrigailov ran up against Razumihin in the doorway.
当他走出去时,斯维德里盖洛夫在门口撞上了拉兹米欣。

-> 1,

-> 2,

-> 3,

-> 4,

-> 5,