The fact was that up to the last moment he had never expected such an ending; —
事实是,直到最后一刻,他从来没有料到会有这样的结局; —

he had been overbearing to the last degree, never dreaming that two destitute and defenceless women could escape from his control. —
他一直傲慢到极致,从未想过两个贫困和无助的女人会逃离他的控制; —

This conviction was strengthened by his vanity and conceit, a conceit to the point of fatuity. —
这种确信被他的虚荣和自负加强,自负到愚蠢的地步; —

Pyotr Petrovitch, who had made his way up from insignificance, was morbidly given to self-admiration, had the highest opinion of his intelligence and capacities, and sometimes even gloated in solitude over his image in the glass. —
彼得·彼得罗维奇,一路从低微地位爬上来,是病态地自恋,对自己的智力和能力评价极高,有时甚至在独处时对着镜子里的自己沾沾自喜; —

But what he loved and valued above all was the money he had amassed by his labour, and by all sorts of devices: —
但他最爱和最看重的是通过自己劳动和各种手段积累的金钱; —

that money made him the equal of all who had been his superiors.
那笔钱让他能够与所有曾经高于他的人并驾齐驱;

When he had bitterly reminded Dounia that he had decided to take her in spite of evil report, Pyotr Petrovitch had spoken with perfect sincerity and had, indeed, felt genuinely indignant at such “black ingratitude.” —
当他痛苦地提醒杜涅亚,他决定收留她尽管有恶劣传闻时,彼得·彼得罗维奇说话完全真诚,确实感到愤怒,对这种”卑鄙的忘恩负义”感到愤愤不平; —

And yet, when he made Dounia his offer, he was fully aware of the groundlessness of all the gossip. —
然而,当他向杜涅亚提出要求时,他完全意识到所有闲言碎语的无稽之谈; —

The story had been everywhere contradicted by Marfa Petrovna, and was by then disbelieved by all the townspeople, who were warm in Dounia’a defence. —
这个故事已经被马尔法·彼得罗芙娜到处辩驳,而当地的所有镇民都相信杜涅亚是无辜的; —

And he would not have denied that he knew all that at the time. —
那时他知道所有这一切,他也不会否认; —

Yet he still thought highly of his own resolution in lifting Dounia to his level and regarded it as something heroic. —
但是他仍然高度评价自己提拔杜涅亚到自己水准的决心,并将其视为英雄般的行为; —

In speaking of it to Dounia, he had let out the secret feeling he cherished and admired, and he could not understand that others should fail to admire it too. —
在跟杜涅亚谈论这件事时,他泄露了自己珍视和钦佩的秘密感情,而他却无法理解为什么别人会不赞美它; —

He had called on Raskolnikov with the feelings of a benefactor who is about to reap the fruits of his good deeds and to hear agreeable flattery. —
他拜访拉斯科尔尼科夫的心情像一个即将收获他善行果实并听到令人愉悦的奉承的恩人; —

And as he went downstairs now, he considered himself most undeservedly injured and unrecognised.
现在走下楼时,他认为自己是最不应该受到伤害和无人承认的;

Dounia was simply essential to him; to do without her was unthinkable. —
对他来说,杜涅亚简直是不可或缺的; 没有她根本无法想象。 —

For many years he had had voluptuous dreams of marriage, but he had gone on waiting and amassing money. —
多年来,他一直梦想着婚姻的肉欲,但他一直在等待和积累财富。 —

He brooded with relish, in profound secret, over the image of a girl–virtuous, poor (she must be poor), very young, very pretty, of good birth and education, very timid, one who had suffered much, and was completely humbled before him, one who would all her life look on him as her saviour, worship him, admire him and only him. —
他在深深的秘密中满怀愉悦地沉思着一个女孩的形象——贞洁、贫穷(她必须贫穷)、非常年轻、非常漂亮、出生良好、受过良好教育、非常胆怯、曾受过很多苦难,并在他面前完全谦卑的女孩,一个终身都会视他为救世主、崇拜他、钦佩他、只尊重他的女孩。 —

How many scenes, how many amorous episodes he had imagined on this seductive and playful theme, when his work was over! —
当他工作结束时,他已经幻想了多少场景,多少缠绵悱恻的插曲! —

And, behold, the dream of so many years was all but realised; —
然而,他多年来梦想的一切几乎都实现了; —

the beauty and education of Avdotya Romanovna had impressed him; —
阿芙朵琴娜·罗曼诺芙娜的美貌和教育给他留下了深刻的印象; —

her helpless position had been a great allurement; —
她无助的境况让他神魂颠倒; —

in her he had found even more than he dreamed of. —
在她身上,他找到了超乎梦想的东西。 —

Here was a girl of pride, character, virtue, of education and breeding superior to his own (he felt that), and this creature would be slavishly grateful all her life for his heroic condescension, and would humble herself in the dust before him, and he would have absolute, unbounded power over her! —
这里是一个自尊、性格、品德、教育都比他更优越的女孩(他感觉到了),这个女人将终身对他的英雄般屈尊感激,并会卑躬屈膝,在他脚下俯首称臣,他将拥有绝对、无限的权力! —

… Not long before, he had, too, after long reflection and hesitation, made an important change in his career and was now entering on a wider circle of business. —
… 不久之前,经过深思熟虑和犹豫,他在职业生涯中做出了重大的变革,现在正在进入更广阔的商业领域。 —

With this change his cherished dreams of rising into a higher class of society seemed likely to be realised. —
随着这一改变,他渴望跻身更高阶层的社会的梦想似乎有望实现。 —

… He was, in fact, determined to try his fortune in Petersburg. —
… 事实上,他已决定试试他的运气在彼得堡。 —

He knew that women could do a very great deal. —
他知道女人们可以做很多事情。 —

The fascination of a charming, virtuous, highly educated woman might make his way easier, might do wonders in attracting people to him, throwing an aureole round him, and now everything was in ruins! —
一个迷人、贞洁、受过良好教育的女性的魅力可能使他的前程更加顺利,在吸引人们注意、给他围上光环方面可能起到奇迹,但现在一切都毁了! —

This sudden horrible rupture affected him like a clap of thunder; —
这突如其来的可怕中断对他如同一声霹雳; —

it was like a hideous joke, an absurdity. —
这就像一个骇人的玩笑,一个荒谬。 —

He had only been a tiny bit masterful, had not even time to speak out, had simply made a joke, been carried away –and it had ended so seriously. —
他只是有点儿自以为是,甚至来不及说话,只是开了个玩笑,却严重地结束了。 —

And, of course, too, he did love Dounia in his own way; —
当然,他也用自己的方式爱着多妮娅; —

he already possessed her in his dreams–and all at once! No! —
他在梦中已经拥有了她 - 突然之间!不! —

The next day, the very next day, it must all be set right, smoothed over, settled. —
明天,就在明天,一切都要解决,平复,定下来。 —

Above all he must crush that conceited milksop who was the cause of it all. —
最重要的是,他必须打败这个自负的腼腆者,这个一切的原因。 —

With a sick feeling he could not help recalling Razumihin too, but, he soon reassured himself on that score; —
他不禁有点恶心地回想起了拉祖米欣,但很快他安慰了自己; —

as though a fellow like that could be put on a level with him! —
就好像那样的家伙可以与他并肩。 —

The man he really dreaded in earnest was Svidrigailov… . —
他真正害怕的是斯维德里盖洛夫… —

He had, in short, a great deal to attend to… .
总之,他有很多事情要忙…


*****

“No, I, I am more to blame than anyone!” said Dounia, kissing and embracing her mother. —
“不,我,我比任何人都更应该受责任!”多妮娅说着,亲吻着拥抱着母亲。 —

“I was tempted by his money, but on my honour, brother, I had no idea he was such a base man. —
“他的钱诱惑了我,但以我的责任感,哥哥,我当时根本不知道他是如此卑劣的人。 —

If I had seen through him before, nothing would have tempted me! —
如果我之前看穿了他,什么也不会诱惑我! —

Don’t blame me, brother!”
不要责怪我,哥哥!”

“God has delivered us! God has delivered us!” —
“上帝拯救了我们!上帝拯救了我们!” —

Pulcheria Alexandrovna muttered, but half consciously, as though scarcely able to realise what had happened.
Pulcheria Alexandrovna喃喃自语,半意识地,几乎无法意识到发生了什么。

They were all relieved, and in five minutes they were laughing. —
他们都感到宽慰,五分钟后他们开始笑了。 —

Only now and then Dounia turned white and frowned, remembering what had passed. —
只是偶尔杜尼亚变白了脸,皱起眉头,回忆起过去发生的事情。 —

Pulcheria Alexandrovna was surprised to find that she, too, was glad: —
普勒谢里亚·亚历山德罗芙娜惊讶地发现,她也感到高兴:她当天早上还认为和卢日尼决裂是一场可怕的灾难。 —

she had only that morning thought rupture with Luzhin a terrible misfortune. —
罗主教很高兴。他还不敢完全表达自己的喜悦,但他兴奋得像心头卸下了一吨的重担。 —

Razumihin was delighted. He did not yet dare to express his joy fully, but he was in a fever of excitement as though a ton-weight had fallen off his heart. —
现在他有权将自己的生活奉献给他们,为他们服务……现在什么都有可能发生! —

Now he had the right to devote his life to them, to serve them… . Anything might happen now! —
但他感到害怕去考虑更多的可能性,也不敢让想象力肆意迸发。 —

But he felt afraid to think of further possibilities and dared not let his imagination range. —
但拉斯科尔尼科夫仍静静地坐在原地,几乎忧郁和漠不关心。 —

But Raskolnikov sat still in the same place, almost sullen and indifferent. —
尽管他曾最为执着地想要摆脱卢日尼,但他现在似乎对发生的事情最不关心。 —

Though he had been the most insistent on getting rid of Luzhin, he seemed now the least concerned at what had happened. —
杜尼亚不禁想他还在生她的气,普勒谢里亚·亚历山德罗芙娜胆怯地看着他。 —

Dounia could not help thinking that he was still angry with her, and Pulcheria Alexandrovna watched him timidly.
“史维杰戈洛夫对你说了什么?”杜尼亚走近他问道。

“What did Svidrigailov say to you?” said Dounia, approaching him.
“是的,是的!”普勒谢里亚·亚历山德罗芙娜喊道。

“Yes, yes!” cried Pulcheria Alexandrovna.
罗主教抬起头。

Raskolnikov raised his head.
“他想要送你一笔一万卢布的礼物,并希望在我在场的情况下见你。”

“He wants to make you a present of ten thousand roubles and he desires to see you once in my presence.”
“He wants to make you a present of ten thousand roubles and he desires to see you once in my presence.”

“See her! On no account!” cried Pulcheria Alexandrovna. “And how dare he offer her money!”
“看!千万不能!”普尔切里娅·亚历山德罗芙娜大声喊道。“他竟然如此无礼地给她钱!”

Then Raskolnikov repeated (rather dryly) his conversation with Svidrigailov, omitting his account of the ghostly visitations of Marfa Petrovna, wishing to avoid all unnecessary talk.
然后拉斯科尔尼科夫有点干巴巴地重复了与斯维德里盖洛夫的谈话,省略了有关玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜幽灵式的拜访,希望避免一切不必要的交谈。

“What answer did you give him?” asked Dounia.
“你给了他什么答复?”杜尼娅问道。

“At first I said I would not take any message to you. —
“一开始我说我不会传递任何消息给你。 —

Then he said that he would do his utmost to obtain an interview with you without my help. —
然后他说他会尽最大努力在没有我的帮助下与你见面。 —

He assured me that his passion for you was a passing infatuation, now he has no feeling for you. —
他向我保证他对你的感情只是一时的迷恋,现在对你毫无感觉。 —

He doesn’t want you to marry Luzhin… . —
他不希望你嫁给卢金……” —

His talk was altogether rather muddled.”
“他说话有点混乱。”

“How do you explain him to yourself, Rodya? How did he strike you?”
“罗蒂亚,你如何解释他呢?他给你印象如何?”

“I must confess I don’t quite understand him. —
“我必须承认我不太理解他。 —

He offers you ten thousand, and yet says he is not well off. —
他给你一万,却说自己不富裕。 —

He says he is going away, and in ten minutes he forgets he has said it. —
他说他要离开,但十分钟后又忘了自己说过。 —

Then he says is he going to be married and has already fixed on the girl… . —
然后他说要结婚了,还已经选中了女孩……” —

No doubt he has a motive, and probably a bad one. —
“毫无疑问他肯定有动机,而且可能是坏动机。 —

But it’s odd that he should be so clumsy about it if he had any designs against you… . —
但如果他对你有任何图谋,那他表现得这么笨拙倒真有点奇怪……” —

Of course, I refused this money on your account, once for all. —
当然,我拒绝了这笔钱,全是为了你。 —

Altogether, I thought him very strange… . One might almost think he was mad. —
总的来说,我觉得他很奇怪……几乎可以认为他疯了。 —

But I may be mistaken; that may only be the part he assumes. —
但我可能错了;那可能只是他假装的一部分。 —

The death of Marfa Petrovna seems to have made a great impression on him.”
玛尔法·彼得罗芙娜的死似乎给他留下了很深的印象。

“God rest her soul,” exclaimed Pulcheria Alexandrovna. “I shall always, always pray for her! —
“愿上帝保佑她的灵魂,”普尔切里娅·亚历山德罗芙娜喊道。“我将永远为她祈祷! —

Where should we be now, Dounia, without this three thousand! —
如果没有这三千,我们现在会在哪里,杜尼亚! —

It’s as though it had fallen from heaven! —
就像它从天上掉下来一样! —

Why, Rodya, this morning we had only three roubles in our pocket and Dounia and I were just planning to pawn her watch, so as to avoid borrowing from that man until he offered help.”
罗季亚,今天早上我们口袋里只有三卢布,杜尼亚和我都打算典当她的手表,想要避免向那个人借钱,直到他主动提供帮助。

Dounia seemed strangely impressed by Svidrigailov’s offer. She still stood meditating.
杜尼亚似乎对斯维德里盖洛夫的提议印象深刻,她仍在沉思。

“He has got some terrible plan,” she said in a half whisper to herself, almost shuddering.
“他肯定有些可怕的计划,”她低声自语,几乎发抖。

Raskolnikov noticed this disproportionate terror.
罗季亚注意到这种不成比例的恐惧。

“I fancy I shall have to see him more than once again,” he said to Dounia.
“我想我可能还得再见他几次,”他对杜尼亚说。

“We will watch him! I will track him out!” cried Razumihin, vigorously. “I won’t lose sight of him. —
“我们会留意他!我会追踪他!”拉祖米欣充满活力地说。“我不会让他离开我的视线。 —

Rodya has given me leave. He said to me himself just now. —
罗季亚已经允许了。他刚才亲口对我说。 —

‘Take care of my sister.’ Will you give me leave, too, Avdotya Romanovna?”
‘照顾我的妹妹。’你也会允许我,阿夫多特婭·罗曼诺芙娜吗?

Dounia smiled and held out her hand, but the look of anxiety did not leave her face. —
杜妮娅微笑着伸出手,但焦虑的表情并未离开她的脸庞。 —

Pulcheria Alexandrovna gazed at her timidly, but the three thousand roubles had obviously a soothing effect on her.
普里芷丽娅·亚历山德罗芙娜略带胆怯地看着她,但三千卢布显然让她感到安心。

A quarter of an hour later, they were all engaged in a lively conversation. —
一个小时后,他们都陷入了热烈的谈话中。 —

Even Raskolnikov listened attentively for some time, though he did not talk. —
尽管不说话,拉斯科尔尼科夫也专心听着。 —

Razumihin was the speaker.
拉祖米欣是讲话的人。

“And why, why should you go away?” he flowed on ecstatically. —
“而且,而且你们为什么要离开?”他心满意足地继续说道。 —

“And what are you to do in a little town? —
“在一个小镇上,你们能做些什么呢? —

The great thing is, you are all here together and you need one another–you do need one another, believe me. —
最重要的是,你们在一起,你们需要彼此–相信我。 —

For a time, anyway… . Take me into partnership, and I assure you we’ll plan a capital enterprise. —
至少在一段时间里… 加入我的合伙企业吧,我向你们保证我们会规划一个大好机会。 —

Listen! I’ll explain it all in detail to you, the whole project! —
听我细细地解释给你们听,整个计划! —

It all flashed into my head this morning, before anything had happened … I tell you what; —
所有这一切在今天早晨事前就突然涌入我的脑海… 我告诉你们; —

I have an uncle, I must introduce him to you (a most accommodating and respectable old man). —
我有一个叔叔,我必须把你们介绍给他(一个最乐于助人、值得尊敬的老人)。 —

This uncle has got a capital of a thousand roubles, and he lives on his pension and has no need of that money. —
这个叔叔拥有一千卢布的本金,他靠养老金生活,不需要那笔钱。 —

For the last two years he has been bothering me to borrow it from him and pay him six per cent. —
在过去两年里,他一直缠着我借钱给他,还要我付他百分之六的利息。我知道这意味着什么;他只是想帮助我。 —

interest. I know what that means; he simply wants to help me. —
让我给你详细解释一下吧,这个项目! —

Last year I had no need of it, but this year I resolved to borrow it as soon as he arrived. —
去年我用不着它,但今年我决定在他到来后立即借用它。 —

Then you lend me another thousand of your three and we have enough for a start, so we’ll go into partnership, and what are we going to do?”
那么你再借给我你的三分之一,我们就有足够的启动资金,这样我们就可以合作了,我们要做什么呢?

Then Razumihin began to unfold his project, and he explained at length that almost all our publishers and booksellers know nothing at all of what they are selling, and for that reason they are usually bad publishers, and that any decent publications pay as a rule and give a profit, sometimes a considerable one. —
然后拉祖米欣开始展开他的计划,他详细解释说,几乎我们所有的出版商和书商对自己销售的东西一无所知,因此他们通常是糟糕的出版商,而任何体面的出版物通常都会盈利,有时还会赚取可观的利润。 —

Razumihin had, indeed, been dreaming of setting up as a publisher. —
确实,拉祖米欣曾梦想成立一家出版社。 —

For the last two years he had been working in publishers’ offices, and knew three European languages well, though he had told Raskolnikov six days before that he was “schwach” in German with an object of persuading him to take half his translation and half the payment for it. —
过去两年,他一直在出版社工作,并且精通三种欧洲语言,尽管他在六天前告诉罗季昂科说他的德语“schwach”,这是为了说服他将翻译的一半和报酬的一半留给他。 —

He had told a lie then, and Raskolnikov knew he was lying.
他当时撒了谎,罗季昂科夫知道他在撒谎。

“Why, why should we let our chance slip when we have one of the chief means of success–money of our own!” —
“为什么,在我们拥有成功的主要手段之一-自己的钱时,我们要让机会溜走呢!” —

cried Razumihin warmly. “Of course there will be a lot of work, but we will work, you, Avdotya Romanovna, I, Rodion. —
“当然会有很多工作,但我们会一起努力,你,阿福多莉娅·罗马诺芙娜,我,罗狄翁,” Razumihin热情地说道。 —

… You get a splendid profit on some books nowadays! —
. . 你现在的一些书籍得到了可观的利润! —

And the great point of the business is that we shall know just what wants translating, and we shall be translating, publishing, learning all at once. —
而且这项业务的重要之处在于,我们将清楚知道需要翻译什么,并且我们将同时进行翻译、出版和学习。 —

I can be of use because I have experience. —
我可以派上用场,因为我有经验。 —

For nearly two years I’ve been scuttling about among the publishers, and now I know every detail of their business. —
我已经在各大出版商之间忙碌了近两年,现在我对他们的业务了如指掌。 —

You need not be a saint to make pots, believe me! And why, why should we let our chance slip! —
你不需要成为圣人才能制作陶器,相信我!为什么我们要错失机会呢! —

Why, I know–and I kept the secret–two or three books which one might get a hundred roubles simply for thinking of translating and publishing. —
为什么,我知道——我一直保密着——有两三本书,光是想要翻译和出版就可以得到一百卢布。 —

Indeed, and I would not take five hundred for the very idea of one of them. And what do you think? —
的确,我绝对不会以五百的价格交换掉其中一个的想法。你觉得呢? —

If I were to tell a publisher, I dare say he’d hesitate–they are such blockheads! —
如果我告诉一个出版商,我敢说他们会犹豫不决–他们这帮笨蛋! —

And as for the business side, printing, paper, selling, you trust to me, I know my way about. —
至于业务方面,印刷、纸张、销售,你就放心交给我吧,我对这些很熟悉。 —

We’ll begin in a small way and go on to a large. —
我们会从小规模开始,然后逐渐扩大。 —

In any case it will get us our living and we shall get back our capital.”
无论如何,这将养活我们,我们也会收回我们的本钱。

Dounia’s eyes shone.
多妮娅的眼睛闪闪发光。

“I like what you are saying, Dmitri Prokofitch!” she said.
“迪米特里·普罗科菲奇,我喜欢你说的话!”她说。

“I know nothing about it, of course,” put in Pulcheria Alexandrovna, “it may be a good idea, but again God knows. —
“我当然一无所知,”普尔哈利亚·亚历山德罗芙娜插嘴说,”这也许是个好主意,但天知道。 —

It’s new and untried. Of course, we must remain here at least for a time.” —
这是全新且未经尝试的。当然,至少要在这里住一段时间。 —

She looked at Rodya.
她看了看罗季亚。

“What do you think, brother?” said Dounia.
“你觉得怎么样,哥哥?”多妮娅说。

“I think he’s got a very good idea,” he answered. —
“我觉得他有个很好的主意,”他回答说。 —

“Of course, it’s too soon to dream of a publishing firm, but we certainly might bring out five or six books and be sure of success. —
“当然,现在还为时过早梦想出版公司,但我们确实可以出版五六本书,而且可以确保成功。 —

I know of one book myself which would be sure to go well. —
我自己知道一本书肯定会卖得好。 —

And as for his being able to manage it, there’s no doubt about that either. —
至于他是否能管理好,也毫无疑问。 —

He knows the business… . But we can talk it over later… .”
他明白这门生意……但我们可以待会再谈……”

“Hurrah!” cried Razumihin. “Now, stay, there’s a flat here in this house, belonging to the same owner. —
“万岁!”拉祖米欣喊道,“现在,等一下,这栋楼里有一间公寓,是同一位房东的。” —

It’s a special flat apart, not communicating with these lodgings. —
这是一间特别的公寓,独立的,与这些住所不相通。 —

It’s furnished, rent moderate, three rooms. Suppose you take them to begin with. —
它是带家具的,租金适中,有三间房。假设你们先住进去。 —

I’ll pawn your watch to-morrow and bring you the money, and everything can be arranged then. —
我明天就把你的手表当掉并把钱拿来,然后一切都可以安排好了。 —

You can all three live together, and Rodya will be with you. —
你们三个可以一起住,罗杰也会和你们在一起。 —

But where are you off to, Rodya?”
“可是你要去哪儿,罗杰?”

“What, Rodya, you are going already?” Pulcheria Alexandrovna asked in dismay.
“罗杰,你现在就要走了吗?”普尔谢里亚·亚历山德罗芙娜惊讶地问道。

“At such a minute?” cried Razumihin.
“在这样的时刻?”拉祖米欣喊道。

Dounia looked at her brother with incredulous wonder. —
多尼娅怀疑地看着她的弟弟。 —

He held his cap in his hand, he was preparing to leave them.
他手里拿着帽子,准备离开他们。

“One would think you were burying me or saying good-bye for ever,” he said somewhat oddly. —
“你看起来就好像在为我下葬或是永别一样,”他有点奇怪地说道。 —

He attempted to smile, but it did not turn out a smile. —
他试图微笑,但并没有成功。 —

“But who knows, perhaps it is the last time we shall see each other …” —
“但谁知道,也许这是我们最后一次见面……” —

he let slip accidentally. It was what he was thinking, and it somehow was uttered aloud.
他不小心说漏了出来。这就是他在想的,而它却以某种方式被说出来了。

“What is the matter with you?” cried his mother.
“你怎么了?”他的母亲喊道。

“Where are you going, Rodya?” asked Dounia rather strangely.
“罗温,你要去哪里?”杜尼娅问得有些奇怪。

“Oh, I’m quite obliged to …” he answered vaguely, as though hesitating what he would say. —
“哦,我有义务……”他含糊地回答,仿佛在犹豫该说什么。 —

But there was a look of sharp determination in his white face.
但他苍白的脸上却露出了锐利决然的表情。

“I meant to say … as I was coming here … —
“我想说……我来这里的时候……” —

I meant to tell you, mother, and you, Dounia, that it would be better for us to part for a time. —
“母亲,杜尼娅,我觉得我们最好暂时分开一段时间。 —

I feel ill, I am not at peace… . I will come afterwards, I will come of myself … —
我感到不舒服,内心不安……以后我会来,我会自己来…… —

when it’s possible. I remember you and love you… . Leave me, leave me alone. —
当可能的时候。我会记得你们并且爱你们……让我独自待着吧。 —

I decided this even before … I’m absolutely resolved on it. —
我这个决定早已做出……我已经下定决心。 —

Whatever may come to me, whether I come to ruin or not, I want to be alone. —
无论我会怎样,无论我会走向毁灭与否,我想一个人独处。 —

Forget me altogether, it’s better. Don’t inquire about me. When I can, I’ll come of myself or … —
忘记我吧,这样更好。不要问我。我会自己来或者…… —

I’ll send for you. Perhaps it will all come back, but now if you love me, give me up . —
我会派人来找你们。也许一切会恢复正常,但现在如果你们爱我,就放我走。 —

. . else I shall begin to hate you, I feel it… . Good-bye!”
否则我会开始讨厌你们,我感觉到了……再见!”

“Good God!” cried Pulcheria Alexandrovna. —
“天啊!”普尔谢里娅·亚历山德罗芙娜喊道。 —

Both his mother and his sister were terribly alarmed. —
他的母亲和姐姐都非常害怕。 —

Razumihin was also.
拉祖米欣也是。

“Rodya, Rodya, be reconciled with us! Let us be as before!” cried his poor mother.
“罗杰,罗杰,与我们和好吧!让我们像以前一样!”他可怜的母亲哭了起来。

He turned slowly to the door and slowly went out of the room. Dounia overtook him.
他慢慢转身走向门口,离开了房间。杜尼亚赶上他。

“Brother, what are you doing to mother?” she whispered, her eyes flashing with indignation.
“哥哥,你对妈妈做什么?”她低声说道,眼中闪烁着愤怒。

He looked dully at her.
他呆呆地看着她。

“No matter, I shall come… . I’m coming,” he muttered in an undertone, as though not fully conscious of what he was saying, and he went out of the room.
“不要紧,我会来的……我来了,”他低声嘟囔道,似乎并没有完全意识到自己在说什么,然后走出了房间。

“Wicked, heartless egoist!” cried Dounia.
“邪恶、无情的利己主义者!”杜尼亚大喊起来。

“He is insane, but not heartless. He is mad! Don’t you see it? You’re heartless after that!” —
“他疯了,但并不是无情。他疯了!你没看出来吗?在这之后你还能如此无情!” —

Razumihin whispered in her ear, squeezing her hand tightly. —
拉祖米欣在她耳边轻声说道,紧紧地握着她的手。 —

“I shall be back directly,” he shouted to the horror- stricken mother, and he ran out of the room.
“我马上就回来。”他向那被吓坏了的母亲喊道,然后冲出了房间。

Raskolnikov was waiting for him at the end of the passage.
拉斯科尔尼科夫正在走廊的尽头等他。

“I knew you would run after me,” he said. “Go back to them–be with them … —
“我知道你会追来的,”他说。“回去他们那里——和他们在一起…… —

be with them to-morrow and always… . I … —
明天和永远在一起……我……也许我会来……如果我能的话。再见。” —

perhaps I shall come … if I can. Good-bye.”
他在不伸出手的情况下走开了。

And without holding out his hand he walked away.
没有回头,没有说再见。

“But where are you going? What are you doing? What’s the matter with you? —
“但你要去哪里?你在干什么?你怎么了?” —

How can you go on like this?” Razumihin muttered, at his wits’ end.
“你怎么能继续这样下去呢?”拉兹姆欣咕哝着,心神不宁。

Raskolnikov stopped once more.
罗季昂再次停下脚步。

“Once for all, never ask me about anything. I have nothing to tell you. Don’t come to see me. —
“最后一次,永远不要问我任何事情。我没有什么可告诉你的。别来看我。 —

Maybe I’ll come here… . Leave me, but /don’t leave/ them. —
也许我会来这里。… 离开我,但/不要离开/他们。 —

Do you understand me?”
你明白我的意思吗?”

It was dark in the corridor, they were standing near the lamp. —
走廊里很黑暗,他们站在灯旁。 —

For a minute they were looking at one another in silence. —
他们沉默着相互对视了一分钟。 —

Razumihin remembered that minute all his life. —
拉兹姆欣一辈子记得那一分钟。 —

Raskolnikov’s burning and intent eyes grew more penetrating every moment, piercing into his soul, into his consciousness. —
罗季昂炽热而专注的眼神变得越来越锐利,逐渐穿透他的灵魂,深入他的意识。 —

Suddenly Razumihin started. Something strange, as it were, passed between them… . —
突然,拉兹姆欣吓了一跳。好像有一种奇怪的东西在他们之间流过… 。 —

Some idea, some hint, as it were, slipped, something awful, hideous, and suddenly understood on both sides. —
一些想法,一些暗示,什么似的能够滑过,一些可怕的、丑恶的,瞬间被双方理解。 —

… Razumihin turned pale.
拉兹姆欣脸色苍白。

“Do you understand now?” said Raskolnikov, his face twitching nervously. —
“你现在明白了吗?”罗季昂说着,他的脸神经质地抽搐着。 —

“Go back, go to them,” he said suddenly, and turning quickly, he went out of the house.
“回去,去找他们,”他突然说道,然后迅速转身离开了屋子。

I will not attempt to describe how Razumihin went back to the ladies, how he soothed them, how he protested that Rodya needed rest in his illness, protested that Rodya was sure to come, that he would come every day, that he was very, very much upset, that he must not be irritated, that he, Razumihin, would watch over him, would get him a doctor, the best doctor, a consultation. —
我不打算描述拉祖米欣是如何回去见那些女士的,他是如何安慰她们的,他是如何强调罗季亚病中需要休息,他强调罗季亚一定会来的,他每天都会来,他非常不安,不应该被激怒,他,拉祖米欣会照顾他,找到医生,找到最好的医生,进行会诊。 —

… In fact from that evening Razumihin took his place with them as a son and a brother.
事实上,从那天晚上起,拉祖米欣在她们中间占据了一个儿子和弟弟的地位。

——