When he remembered the scene afterwards, this is how Raskolnikov saw it.
当他事后回忆起这一幕时,这就是拉斯科尔尼科夫看到的方式。

The noise behind the door increased, and suddenly the door was opened a little.
门后的噪音越来越大,突然门被打开了一点。

“What is it?” cried Porfiry Petrovitch, annoyed. “Why, I gave orders . . .”
“怎么了?”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇生气地喊道。”我下了命令……”

For an instant there was no answer, but it was evident that there were several persons at the door, and that they were apparently pushing somebody back.
有一会儿没有回答,但显然门口有几个人,他们似乎正在推开某人。

“What is it?” Porfiry Petrovitch repeated, uneasily.
“怎么了?”波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇焦虑地重复道。

“The prisoner Nikolay has been brought,” someone answered.
“囚犯尼古拉已经被带来了,”有人回答。

“He is not wanted! Take him away! Let him wait! What’s he doing here? —-
“不需要他! 把他带走! 让他等着! 他在这里干什么? —-

How irregular!” cried Porfiry, rushing to the door.
多么不合规!”波尔菲里大声说着,冲向门口。

“But he . . .” began the same voice, and suddenly ceased.
“但是他……”同一个声音开始说话,突然停顿了下来。

Two seconds, not more, were spent in actual struggle, then someone gave a violent shove, and then a man, very pale, strode into the room.
两秒钟,不止,实际上,正在进行着激烈的斗争,然后有人猛地推了一下,然后一个很苍白的男人跨步走进了房间。

This man’s appearance was at first sight very strange. —-
这个男人的外表乍看之下很奇怪。 —-

He stared straight before him, as though seeing nothing. There was a determined gleam in his eyes; —-
他直勾勾地盯着前方,好像什么也没有看见。他眼中有坚定的光芒; —-

at the same time there was a deathly pallor in his face, as though he were being led to the scaffold. —-
与此同时,他的脸色苍白如纸,仿佛是被带上了断头台。 —-

His white lips were faintly twitching.
他的白唇微微抖动。

He was dressed like a workman and was of medium height, very young, slim, his hair cut in round crop, with thin spare features. —-
他身穿工人的服装,中等身材,很年轻,瘦削,头发修剪成圆形短发,具有纤细的轮廓。 —-

The man whom he had thrust back followed him into the room and succeeded in seizing him by the shoulder; —-
他曾经推开的那个人跟进房间,成功地抓住了他的肩膀; —-

he was a warder; but Nikolay pulled his arm away.
他是一个看守;但尼古拉把他的胳膊拉开了。

Several persons crowded inquisitively into the doorway. —-
几个人好奇地挤进门口。 —-

Some of them tried to get in. All this took place almost instantaneously.
他们中的一些人试图进来。所有这一切几乎是瞬间发生的。

“Go away, it’s too soon! Wait till you are sent for! . . . Why have you brought him so soon?” —-
“走开,还太早!等着人来叫你!为什么这么快把他带来?” —-

Porfiry Petrovitch muttered, extremely annoyed, and as it were thrown out of his reckoning.
波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇咕哝着,极其烦恼,仿佛被打乱了思路。

But Nikolay suddenly knelt down.
但尼古拉突然跪倒。

“What’s the matter?” cried Porfiry, surprised.
“怎么了?”波尔菲惊讶地喊道。

“I am guilty! Mine is the sin! I am the murderer,” Nikolay articulated suddenly, rather breathless, but speaking fairly loudly.
“我有罪!罪在我!我是凶手,”尼古拉突然说话,有点气喘,但说得相当响亮。

For ten seconds there was silence as though all had been struck dumb; —-
十秒钟的沉默仿佛所有人都哑口无言; —-

even the warder stepped back, mechanically retreated to the door, and stood immovable.
甚至看守也后退,机械地退到门口,站在那里一动不动。

“What is it?” cried Porfiry Petrovitch, recovering from his momentary stupefaction.
“是怎么回事?”波尔菲从他短暂的怔愣中恢复过来。

“I . . . am the murderer,” repeated Nikolay, after a brief pause.
“我……是凶手,”尼古拉经过短暂停顿后重复说道。

“What . . . you . . . what . . . whom did you kill?” Porfiry Petrovitch was obviously bewildered.
“什么……你……你杀了谁?”波尔菲显然困惑了。

Nikolay again was silent for a moment.
尼古拉再次沉默了一会儿。

“Alyona Ivanovna and her sister Lizaveta Ivanovna, I . . . killed . . . with an axe. —-
“阿列奥娜·伊万诺芙娜和她的妹妹丽扎维塔·伊万诺芙娜,我用斧头……杀死了。 —-

Darkness came over me,” he added suddenly, and was again silent.
“黑暗降临在我身上,”他突然又加了一句,然后再次沉默。

He still remained on his knees. Porfiry Petrovitch stood for some moments as though meditating, but suddenly roused himself and waved back the uninvited spectators. —-
他仍旧跪在地上。波尔费里·彼得洛维奇静静地站了一会儿,像是在思考,但突然间振作起来,挥手把不速之客赶走。 —-

They instantly vanished and closed the door. —-
他们瞬间消失并关闭了门。 —-

Then he looked towards Raskolnikov, who was standing in the corner, staring wildly at Nikolay and moved towards him, but stopped short, looked from Nikolay to Raskolnikov and then again at Nikolay, and seeming unable to restrain himself darted at the latter.
然后他朝着站在角落里、狂野地盯着尼古拉和罗迪昂科夫的犹如抓狂的罗季昂科夫走去,但走到一半停了下来,望着尼古拉、罗季昂科夫,又望向尼古拉,似乎无法自持地向前冲去。

“You’re in too great a hurry,” he shouted at him, almost angrily. —-
“你太着急了,”他生气地对他喊道。 —-

“I didn’t ask you what came over you. . . . —-
“我没问你发生了什么……” —-

Speak, did you kill them?”
“说,你杀了他们吗?”

“I am the murderer. . . . I want to give evidence,” Nikolay pronounced.
“我是凶手……我想作证,”尼古拉说道。

“Ach! What did you kill them with?”
“啊!你用什么杀的他们?”

“An axe. I had it ready.”
“一把斧头。我早准备好了。”

“Ach, he is in a hurry! Alone?”
“啊,他着急!一个人?”

Nikolay did not understand the question.
尼古拉没听懂这个问题。

“Did you do it alone?”
“你一个人干的?”

“Yes, alone. And Mitka is not guilty and had no share in it.”
“是的,一个人。米特卡无罪,也没有参与其中。”

“Don’t be in a hurry about Mitka! A-ach! —-
“别着急,关于米特卡的事!啊呀! —-

How was it you ran downstairs like that at the time? The porters met you both!”
“你是怎么在那个时候像那样跑下楼的?门房都遇到了你们两个!”

“It was to put them off the scent . . . I ran after Mitka,” Nikolay replied hurriedly, as though he had prepared the answer.
“为了误导他们……我追上了米特卡,” 尼古拉匆忙回答道,仿佛事先准备好了答案。

“I knew it!” cried Porfiry, with vexation. —-
“我知道了!”波尔菲里生气地喊道。 —-

“It’s not his own tale he is telling,” he muttered as though to himself, and suddenly his eyes rested on Raskolnikov again.
“他所说的并不是自己的故事,”他嘟囔着,仿佛对自己说,然后突然又把目光转向了拉斯科尔尼科夫。

He was apparently so taken up with Nikolay that for a moment he had forgotten Raskolnikov. —-
显然他被尼古拉吸引住了,以至于一时忘记了拉斯科尔尼科夫。 —-

He was a little taken aback.
他有点吃惊。

“My dear Rodion Romanovitch, excuse me!” he flew up to him, “this won’t do; —-
“我亲爱的罗季昂·罗马诺维奇,请原谅我!”他冲到他面前 —-

I’m afraid you must go . . . it’s no good your staying . . . I will . —-
“你不能再待下去了……你待着没用……我……” —-

. . you see, what a surprise! . . . Good-bye!”
“……你看,多么惊讶!……再见!” —-

And taking him by the arm, he showed him to the door.
拉着他的胳膊,把他送到了门口。

“I suppose you didn’t expect it?” said Raskolnikov who, though he had not yet fully grasped the situation, had regained his courage.
“我想你也没料到吧?”拉斯科尔尼科夫说道,虽然他还没有完全理解情况,但已经恢复了勇气。

“You did not expect it either, my friend. See how your hand is trembling! He-he!”
“你也没有料到,我的朋友。你看他的手抖的多厉害!他!”

“You’re trembling, too, Porfiry Petrovitch!”
“你也在颤抖,波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇!”

“Yes, I am; I didn’t expect it.”
“是的,我在。我也没料到。”

They were already at the door; Porfiry was impatient for Raskolnikov to be gone.
他们已经站在门口;波尔菲里急切地希望拉斯科尔尼科夫离开。

“And your little surprise, aren’t you going to show it to me?” Raskolnikov said, sarcastically.
“你的小惊喜呢,你不打算让我看看吗?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫讽刺地说。

“Why, his teeth are chattering as he asks, he-he! You are an ironical person! Come, till we meet!”
“瞧,他问话时牙齿打颤,嘻嘻!你真是个讽刺的人!来吧,等我们再见面!”

“I believe we can say /good-bye/!”
“我相信我们可以说/再见/!”

“That’s in God’s hands,” muttered Porfiry, with an unnatural smile.
波尔菲里带着一种不自然的微笑喃喃道:”那就交给上帝吧。”

As he walked through the office, Raskolnikov noticed that many people were looking at him. —-
拉斯科尔尼科夫走过办公室时,注意到很多人在看着他。 —-

Among them he saw the two porters from /the/ house, whom he had invited that night to the police station. —-
他看见了那晚他邀请到警察局的那两名来自房子的门卫。 —-

They stood there waiting. But he was no sooner on the stairs than he heard the voice of Porfiry Petrovitch behind him. —-
他们站在那里等待。但他刚一上楼梯,就听到波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇的声音从身后传来。 —-

Turning round, he saw the latter running after him, out of breath.
转过头,他看到后者气喘吁吁地追了上来。

“One word, Rodion Romanovitch; as to all the rest, it’s in God’s hands, but as a matter of form there are some questions I shall have to ask you . —-
“罗季恩·罗曼诺维奇,还有一件事,顺便问一下,其他的都交给上帝了,但作为形式,我还得问你一些问题。 —-

. . so we shall meet again, shan’t we?”
…所以我们会再见面,是吧?”

And Porfiry stood still, facing him with a smile.
波尔菲里停了下来,面对着他微笑。

“Shan’t we?” he added again.
“我们会再见面吧?” 他又补充道。

He seemed to want to say something more, but could not speak out.
他似乎想说更多的话,但说不出口。

“You must forgive me, Porfiry Petrovitch, for what has just passed . . . —-
“你必须原谅我,波尔菲里·彼得罗维奇,刚才发生的事情… —-

I lost my temper,” began Raskolnikov, who had so far regained his courage that he felt irresistibly inclined to display his coolness.
“我发了脾气,”拉斯科尔尼科夫开始说道,他的勇气已经恢复,感觉无法抑制地想展示自己的冷静。

“Don’t mention it, don’t mention it,” Porfiry replied, almost gleefully. “I myself, too . . . —-
“不要提,不要提,”波尔菲里兴高彩烈地回答道。”我自己也是……” —-

I have a wicked temper, I admit it! But we shall meet again. —-
“我承认我脾气很坏!但我们还会再见面的。 —-

If it’s God’s will, we may see a great deal of one another.”
如果是上帝的意愿,我们可能会经常见面。

“And will get to know each other through and through?” added Raskolnikov.
“然后会彻底了解对方?” 拉斯科尔尼科夫补充道。

“Yes; know each other through and through,” assented Porfiry Petrovitch, and he screwed up his eyes, looking earnestly at Raskolnikov. —-
“是的; 彻底了解对方,”波尔菲里彼得罗维奇表示同意,他紧紧地盯着拉斯科尔尼科夫看。 —-

“Now you’re going to a birthday party?”
“现在你要去参加生日派对吗?”

“To a funeral.”
“去参加葬礼。

“Of course, the funeral! Take care of yourself, and get well.”
“当然,葬礼!保重,祝你早日康复。

“I don’t know what to wish you,” said Raskolnikov, who had begun to descend the stairs, but looked back again. —-
“我不知道该祝福你什么,” 拉斯科尔尼科夫开始下楼,但又回头看了一眼。 —-

“I should like to wish you success, but your office is such a comical one.”
“我想祝你成功,但你的职务太滑稽了。

“Why comical?” Porfiry Petrovitch had turned to go, but he seemed to prick up his ears at this.
“为什么滑稽?”波尔菲里彼得罗维奇转身要走,但听到这句话,却似乎立刻感兴趣起来。

“Why, how you must have been torturing and harassing that poor Nikolay psychologically, after your fashion, till he confessed! —-
“为什么,你一定用你的方式对那可怜的尼古拉进行心理折磨和骚扰,直到他承认为止! —-

You must have been at him day and night, proving to him that he was the murderer, and now that he has confessed, you’ll begin vivisecting him again. —-
“你一定日日夜夜纠缠着他,证明他是凶手,现在他已经承认了,你又会重新开始解刨他。 —-

‘You are lying,’ you’ll say. ‘You are not the murderer! You can’t be! —-
“‘你在说谎,’你会说。’你不是凶手!你不能是! —-

It’s not your own tale you are telling!’ —-
“这不是你自己的故事,而是你在讲述别人的故事!” —-

You must admit it’s a comical business!”
“你必须承认这是一件滑稽的事情!”

“He-he-he! You noticed then that I said to Nikolay just now that it was not his own tale he was telling?”
“呵呵呵!你刚才注意到我刚告诉尼古拉的时候说他在讲的不是自己的故事了吗?”

“How could I help noticing it!”
“我怎么能不注意到呢!”

“He-he! You are quick-witted. You notice everything! You’ve really a playful mind! —-
“呵呵!你很敏锐。你注意到了所有事情!你的确有一颗俏皮的心!” —-

And you always fasten on the comic side . . . he-he! —-
“而且你总是喜欢看到滑稽的一面…呵呵!” —-

They say that was the marked characteristic of Gogol, among the writers.”
“他们说这是戈高尔创作的显著特点。”

“Yes, of Gogol.”
“是的,戈高尔的。”

“Yes, of Gogol. . . . I shall look forward to meeting you.”
“是的,戈高尔的…我期待着与你相见。”

“So shall I.”
“我也是。”

Raskolnikov walked straight home. He was so muddled and bewildered that on getting home he sat for a quarter of an hour on the sofa, trying to collect his thoughts. —-
罗季昂诺夫径直走回家。他感到非常困惑和迷茫,回到家后他坐在沙发上,想整理一下思绪。 —-

He did not attempt to think about Nikolay; he was stupefied; —-
他没有尝试去想尼古拉;他感到麻木不仁; —-

he felt that his confession was something inexplicable, amazing—something beyond his understanding. But Nikolay’s confession was an actual fact. —-
他觉得他的自白是一种难以解释的、令人惊讶的事情——超出了他的理解范围。但尼古拉的自白是一个事实。 —-

The consequences of this fact were clear to him at once, its falsehood could not fail to be discovered, and then they would be after him again. —-
这个事实的后果立刻清楚地显现在他的脑海中,它的虚假终将被发现,然后他们会再次找上门来。 —-

Till then, at least, he was free and must do something for himself, for the danger was imminent.
至少在那之前,他是自由的,必须为自己做点什么,因为危险即将来临。

But how imminent? His position gradually became clear to him. —-
但是有多紧迫呢?他的立场渐渐变得对他明晰起来。 —-

Remembering, sketchily, the main outlines of his recent scene with Porfiry, he could not help shuddering again with horror. —-
粗略地回忆起他最近与波尔费里的场景的主要轮廓,他不禁再次不寒而栗。 —-

Of course, he did not yet know all Porfiry’s aims, he could not see into all his calculations. —-
当然,他还不完全了解波尔费里的所有目的,也无法看穿他的所有计算。 —-

But he had already partly shown his hand, and no one knew better than Raskolnikov how terrible Porfiry’s “lead” had been for him. —-
但他已经在某种程度上透露了底细,没有人比拉斯科尔尼科夫更清楚波尔费里的“线索”对他有多可怕。 —-

A little more and he /might/ have given himself away completely, circumstantially. —-
再稍微一点,他完全可能暴露自己,就事实而言。 —-

Knowing his nervous temperament and from the first glance seeing through him, Porfiry, though playing a bold game, was bound to win. —-
了解他神经质的性格,一眼就看透他的波尔费里虽然在玩一场胆大的游戏,但注定会获胜。 —-

There’s no denying that Raskolnikov had compromised himself seriously, but no /facts/ had come to light as yet; —-
毫无疑问,拉斯科尔尼科夫已经严重自毁,但尚未有任何证据浮出水面; —-

there was nothing positive. But was he taking a true view of the position? Wasn’t he mistaken? —-
没有任何实质性的东西。但他对形势是否有正确的看法呢?他难道搞错了吗? —-

What had Porfiry been trying to get at? Had he really some surprise prepared for him? —-
波尔费里到底想要达到什么目的?他真的为他准备了一些惊喜吗? —-

And what was it? Had he really been expecting something or not? —-
那是什么?他真的在期待某事吗? —-

How would they have parted if it had not been for the unexpected appearance of Nikolay?
如果不是尼古拉意外出现,他们将会如何分别?

Porfiry had shown almost all his cards—of course, he had risked something in showing them—and if he had really had anything up his sleeve (Raskolnikov reflected), he would have shown that, too. —-
波尔费里几乎展示了他所有的牌面 —— 当然,他在展示它们时冒了一定的风险 —— 如果他确实有什么玩另一手的东西(拉斯科尔尼科夫反思道),那么他也会展示出来。 —-

What was that “surprise”? Was it a joke? Had it meant anything? —-
那个“惊喜”是什么?是个玩笑吗?有意义吗? —-

Could it have concealed anything like a fact, a piece of positive evidence? —-
它会隐藏任何像事实、积极证据的东西吗? —-

His yesterday’s visitor? What had become of him? Where was he to-day? —-
他昨天的访客呢?他到底去了哪里?今天在哪里? —-

If Porfiry really had any evidence, it must be connected with him. . . .
如果波尔菲里确实有证据,那肯定与他有关。 . . .

He sat on the sofa with his elbows on his knees and his face hidden in his hands. —-
他坐在沙发上,手肘搁在膝盖上,脸埋在双手里。 —-

He was still shivering nervously. At last he got up, took his cap, thought a minute, and went to the door.
他依然紧张地颤抖着。最后他站起来,拿起帽子,思考了一会儿,然后走向门口。

He had a sort of presentiment that for to-day, at least, he might consider himself out of danger. —-
他有一种直觉感到,至少在今天,他可以认为自己是安全的。 —-

He had a sudden sense almost of joy; he wanted to make haste to Katerina Ivanovna’s. —-
他突然感到几乎是一种喜悦;他想赶快去凯特琳娜·伊万诺夫娜那里。 —-

He would be too late for the funeral, of course, but he would be in time for the memorial dinner, and there at once he would see Sonia.
他肯定已经来不及赶上葬礼了,但是可以赶上悼念晚宴,那里他会看到索尼娅。

He stood still, thought a moment, and a suffering smile came for a moment on to his lips.
他站在那里,思考了一会儿,脸上露出一丝痛苦的微笑。

“To-day! To-day,” he repeated to himself. “Yes, to-day! So it must be. . . .”
“今天!今天,”他自言自语道。“是的,今天!肯定是要去的。 . . .”

But as he was about to open the door, it began opening of itself. He started and moved back. —-
但当他要打开门时,门自己开始打开了。他吓了一跳,后退了一步。 —-

The door opened gently and slowly, and there suddenly appeared a figure—yesterday’s visitor /from underground/.
门轻轻地慢慢地打开了,然后突然出现了一个人影—昨天的地下来客。

The man stood in the doorway, looked at Raskolnikov without speaking, and took a step forward into the room. —-
那个人站在门口,看着拉斯科尔尼科夫,没有说话,然后向房间里走了一步。 —-

He was exactly the same as yesterday; the same figure, the same dress, but there was a great change in his face; —-
他和昨天完全一样;同样的身材、同样的衣服,但是他的脸上有很大的变化; —-

he looked dejected and sighed deeply. If he had only put his hand up to his cheek and leaned his head on one side he would have looked exactly like a peasant woman.
他看起来沮丧,并深深地叹了口气。如果他抬手碰碰脸颊,歪着头,他看起来完全像一个农妇。

“What do you want?” asked Raskolnikov, numb with terror. —-
“你想要什么?”拉斯科尔尼科夫麻木地问道。 —-

The man was still silent, but suddenly he bowed down almost to the ground, touching it with his finger.
那个人依然沉默,但突然俯身几乎贴着地面,用手指点了一下。

“What is it?” cried Raskolnikov.
“这是什么?”拉斯科尔尼科夫叫道。

“I have sinned,” the man articulated softly.
“我犯了罪,”那人轻声说。

“How?”
“怎么了?”

“By evil thoughts.”
“因为邪念。”

They looked at one another.
他们互相看着。

“I was vexed. When you came, perhaps in drink, and bade the porters go to the police station and asked about the blood, I was vexed that they let you go and took you for drunken. —-
“我很生气。当你来时,可能是喝醉了酒,让门卫去警察局询问血迹时,我很生气,因为他们让你走了,并以为你是醉酒了。 —-

I was so vexed that I lost my sleep. And remembering the address we came here yesterday and asked for you. . . .”
我很生气,以至于失去了睡眠。然后想起了我们昨天来这里找你的地址. . . .”

“Who came?” Raskolnikov interrupted, instantly beginning to recollect.
“谁来了?”拉斯科尔尼科夫立即打断,开始回忆起来。

“I did, I’ve wronged you.”
“是我,我冤枉了你。”

“Then you come from that house?”
“那你是来自那栋房子的吗?”

“I was standing at the gate with them . . . don’t you remember? —-
“我和他们站在门口. . . 你不记得了吗? —-

We have carried on our trade in that house for years past. —-
我们在那家房子里做了多年的生意。 —-

We cure and prepare hides, we take work home . . . —-
我们处理和准备兽皮,带工作回家. . . —-

most of all I was vexed. . . .”
我最生气的是. . . .”

And the whole scene of the day before yesterday in the gateway came clearly before Raskolnikov’s mind; —-
拉斯科尔尼科夫脑海中清晰地回忆起前天在门口发生的整个场景; —-

he recollected that there had been several people there besides the porters, women among them. —-
他回想起除了搬运工外,现场还有几个人,其中有妇女。 —-

He remembered one voice had suggested taking him straight to the police- station. —-
他记得有一位声音建议直接把他带到警察局。 —-

He could not recall the face of the speaker, and even now he did not recognise it, but he remembered that he had turned round and made him some answer. . . .
他想起说话者的面孔,即便现在他也没认出来,但他记得自己已经回过头去作出了某种回答……。

So this was the solution of yesterday’s horror. —-
这就是昨天恐怖事件的解决方案。 —-

The most awful thought was that he had been actually almost lost, had almost done for himself on account of such a /trivial/ circumstance. —-
最可怕的想法是,他实际上几乎丢了命,几乎仅仅因为这样一点小事。 —-

So this man could tell nothing except his asking about the flat and the blood stains. —-
这个人除了提到过公寓和血迹外,什么都说不出。 —-

So Porfiry, too, had nothing but that /delirium/, no facts but this /psychology/ which /cuts both ways/, nothing positive. —-
所以波尔菲里也只有那场“精神错乱”,除了这种“双刃剑”的心理学观点,没有任何实质性的东西。 —-

So if no more facts come to light (and they must not, they must not!) then . . . —-
所以如果不再有更多事实浮出水面(而且他们不得,他们不得!),那么……。 —-

then what can they do to him? How can they convict him, even if they arrest him? —-
那么他们能对他做些什么?即使他们逮捕了他,他们怎么能定罪? —-

And Porfiry then had only just heard about the flat and had not known about it before.
那么波尔菲里今天才刚听说了公寓的事,之前不知道。

“Was it you who told Porfiry . . . that I’d been there?” he cried, struck by a sudden idea.
“是你告诉波尔菲里……我去过那儿的吗?”他不知什么时候突然有了一个想法。

“What Porfiry?”
“哪个波尔菲里?”

“The head of the detective department?”
“侦探部门的负责人?”

“Yes. The porters did not go there, but I went.”
“是的。搬运工没有去那边,但我去了。”

“To-day?”
“今天?”

“I got there two minutes before you. And I heard, I heard it all, how he worried you.”
“我比你早了两分钟到那儿。我听到了,我听到了一切,他是如何让你担心的。”

“Where? What? When?”
“在哪里?什么时候?”

“Why, in the next room. I was sitting there all the time.”
“哦,就在隔壁房间。我一直坐在那儿。”

“What? Why, then you were the surprise? But how could it happen? Upon my word!”
“什么?哎呀,那你就是个意外?可这怎么可能发生?我发誓!”

“I saw that the porters did not want to do what I said,” began the man; —-
“我看到搬运工不愿意做我说的事情,”那人开始说; —-

“for it’s too late, said they, and maybe he’ll be angry that we did not come at the time. —-
“因为太迟了,他们说,也许他会因为我们没有按时来而生气。 —-

I was vexed and I lost my sleep, and I began making inquiries. —-
我生气了,失去了睡眠,于是开始打听。 —-

And finding out yesterday where to go, I went to-day. —-
昨天弄清楚去哪里后,今天我就去了。 —-

The first time I went he wasn’t there, when I came an hour later he couldn’t see me. —-
第一次去他不在,一个小时后我再来他还没法见我。 —-

I went the third time, and they showed me in. —-
第三次去,他们让我进去了。 —-

I informed him of everything, just as it happened, and he began skipping about the room and punching himself on the chest. —-
我把一切都告诉他,就如同事情发生的一样,他开始在房间里跳来跳去,打着自己的胸脯。 —-

‘What do you scoundrels mean by it? If I’d known about it I should have arrested him!’ —-
‘你们这群卑鄙家伙是什么意思?如果我知道的话我本来会逮捕他的!’ —-

Then he ran out, called somebody and began talking to him in the corner, then he turned to me, scolding and questioning me. —-
然后他跑了出去,叫了个人并开始在角落里和他交谈,然后转向我,责骂和盘问我。 —-

He scolded me a great deal; and I told him everything, and I told him that you didn’t dare to say a word in answer to me yesterday and that you didn’t recognise me. —-
他骂了我很多;我告诉他一切,告诉他昨天你根本不敢回答我,也没认出我。 —-

And he fell to running about again and kept hitting himself on the chest, and getting angry and running about, and when you were announced he told me to go into the next room. —-
他又开始四处奔走,不断地打着胸脯,愤怒地奔跑,当你被宣布时,他让我进了隔壁房间。” —-

‘Sit there a bit,’ he said. ‘Don’t move, whatever you may hear.’ —-
“坐在那里一会儿,”他说道。”无论听到什么都不要动。” —-

And he set a chair there for me and locked me in. ‘Perhaps,’ he said, ‘I may call you.’ —-
他为我摆了一把椅子然后把我锁在里面。“也许,”他说,“我可能会叫你。” —-

And when Nikolay’d been brought he let me out as soon as you were gone. —-
当尼古拉被带来时,他在你走后立刻放我出来。 —-

‘I shall send for you again and question you,’ he said.”
“我会再次叫你过来审问你的,”他说。

“And did he question Nikolay while you were there?”
“在你在场时他有没有审问尼古拉?”

“He got rid of me as he did of you, before he spoke to Nikolay.”
“他像对你一样对我,还没有和尼古拉说话就把我打发走了。”

The man stood still, and again suddenly bowed down, touching the ground with his finger.
这人站在那里,又突然俯身,用手指触地。

“Forgive me for my evil thoughts, and my slander.”
“请原谅我的恶念和诽谤,”他说。

“May God forgive you,” answered Raskolnikov.
“愿上帝原谅你,”拉斯科尔尼科夫回答道。

And as he said this, the man bowed down again, but not to the ground, turned slowly and went out of the room.
说着,那人再次俯身,不到地面上,慢慢转身走出房间。

“It all cuts both ways, now it all cuts both ways,” repeated Raskolnikov, and he went out more confident than ever.
“现在一切都变得更为复杂,”拉斯科尔尼科夫一再重复,他比以往任何时候都更加自信地离开房间。

“Now we’ll make a fight for it,” he said, with a malicious smile, as he went down the stairs. —-
“现在我们要奋起反击了,”他说着,带着一丝狡猾的微笑走下楼梯。 —-

His malice was aimed at himself; with shame and contempt he recollected his “cowardice.”
他的恶意是针对他自己的;他羞愧和鄙视地想起了他的“懦弱”。