WHEN the newly-married pair came home, the first person who appeared, to offer his congratulations, was Sydney Carton.
新婚夫妇回到家时,首先向他们表示祝贺的人是悉尼·卡尔顿。 —

They had not been at home many hours, when he presented himself.
他们回家没几个小时,他就出现了。 —

He was not improved in habits, or in looks, or in manner;
他的习惯、外貌和举止都没有改善, —

but there was a certain rugged air of fidelity about him, which was new to the observation of Charles Darnay.
但他身上有一种新的坚定忠诚的粗犷气息,对查尔斯·达尔内来说是新鲜的。

He watched his opportunity of taking Darnay aside into a window, and of speaking to him when no one overheard.
他找到机会把达尔内带到窗前,没有人听见的时候跟他谈话。

‘Mr. Darnay,’ said Carton, ‘I wish we might be friends.’
“达尔内先生,”卡尔顿说,” 我希望我们能成为朋友。”

‘We are already friends, I hope.’
“希望我们已经是朋友了。”

‘You are good enough to say so, as a fashion of speech;
“你说这话是客套话, —

hut, I don’t mean any fashion of speech. Indeed, when I say I wish we might be friends, I scarcely mean quite that, either.’
不过我并不完全是那个意思。”

Charles Darnay–As was natural–Asked him, in all good-humour and good-fellowship, what he did mean?
查尔斯·达尔内自然而然地以友好和善意的口吻问他,他到底是什么意思。

‘Upon my life,’ said Carton, smiling, ‘I find that easier to comprehend in my own mind, than to convey to yours. However, let me try.
卡尔顿微笑着说:” 我发现在我自己的心里理解起来比向你传达起来容易。不过,让我试试。 —

You remember a certain famous occasion when I was more drunk than–than usual?’
你还记得有一次我喝醉了比平时还多的那个著名场合吗?”

‘I remember a certain famous occasion when you forced me to confess that you had been drinking.’
“我也记得。那次你逼我承认你喝醉了。”

‘I remember it too. The curse of those occasions is heavy upon me, for I always remember them.
“我也记得。那些场合的诅咒一直困扰着我,因为我总是记得它们。 —

I hope it may be taken into account one day, when all days are at an end for me!
我希望有一天,当我的所有日子都结束时,这一点能被考虑到。 —

Don’t be alarmed; I am not going to preach.’
别担心,我不是要说教。”

‘I am not at all alarmed.
“我一点也不担心。 —

Earnestness in you is anything but alarming to me.’
你的真诚对我来说绝对不会引起恐慌。”

‘Ah!’ said Carton, with a careless wave of his hand, as if he waved that away.
卡尔顿漫不经心地挥了挥手,好像打发掉了那个话题。” —

‘On the drunken occasion in question (one of a large number, as you know), I was insufferable about liking you, and not liking you. I wish you would forget it.’
在那次醉酒的场合上(你知道的众多类似场合之一),我关于喜欢你和不喜欢你的话真是难以忍受。我希望你能把它忘掉。”

‘I forgot it long ago.’
“我早就忘记了。”

‘Fashion of speech again! But, Mr. Darnay, oblivion is not so easy to me, as you represent it to be to you.
“又是客套话!但是,达尔内先生,对我来说,遗忘并不像你所说的那么容易。 —

I have by no means forgotten it, and a light answer does not help me to forget it.’
我绝对没有忘记它,轻描淡写的答案并不能帮助我忘记它。”

‘If it was a light answer,’ returned Darnay, ‘I beg your forgiveness for it.
“如果这只是一个轻松的回答,” 达尔内回答道,“我向您道歉。 —

I had no other object than to turn a slight thing, which, to my surprise, seems to trouble you too much, aside.
我只是想将一个微小的事情转移到另一个方面,出乎我的意料,似乎对您造成了太大的困扰。” —

I declare to you on the faith of a gentleman, that I have long dismissed it from my mind. Good Heaven, what was there to dismiss!
“我宣誓,身为绅士,我早就把这件事忘到九霄云外了。天哪,有什么可忘的! —

Have I had nothing more important to remember, in the great service you rendered me that day?’
当天您给予我的伟大帮助,我不是有更重要的事情要铭记吗?”

‘As to the great service,’ said Carton, ‘I am bound to avow to you, when you speak of it in that way, that it was mere professional claptrap.
“说到伟大的帮助,”卡尔顿说,“当您用那种说法提起时,我必须承认这只是职业说辞而已。 —

I don’t know that I cared what became of you, when I rendered It.–Mind!
我不知道当时我在乎您会变得如何。注意! —

I say when I rendered it;
我说的是我当时的态度。 —

I am speaking of the past.’
我在谈论过去。”

‘You make light of the obligation,’ returned Darnay, ‘but I will not quarrel with your light answer.’
“您对这份义务不以为然,” 达尔内回答道,“但我不打算与您为此争吵。”

‘Genuine truth, Mr. Darnay, trust me!
“这是真实的事实,达尔内先生, —

I have gone aside from my purpose;
相信我!我偏离了主题; —

I was speaking about our being friends. Now, you know me;
我原本是在谈论我们的友谊。现在,您了解我; —

you know I am incapable of all the higher and better flights of men.
您知道我不具备那些高尚的品质和伟大的成就。如果您怀疑, —

If you doubt it, ask Stryver, and he’ll tell you so.’
请问一下斯特赫弗,他会告诉您的。”

‘I prefer to form my own opinion, without the aid of his.’
“我更愿意独立形成自己的看法,不需要他的帮助。”

‘Well! At any rate you know me as a dissolute dog who has never done any good, and never will.’
“嗯!至少您了解我是一个放荡不羁的家伙,从未做过什么好事,也永远不会。”

‘I don’t know that you “never will.”’
“我不知道您是否‘永远不会’。”

‘But I do, and you must take my word for it. Well!
“但我知道,您必须相信我的话。 —

If you could endure to have such a worthless fellow, and a fellow of such indifferent reputation, coming and going at odd times, I should ask that I might be permitted to come and go as a privileged person here;
嗯!如果您能忍受这样一个毫无价值、声誉也不怎么好的家伙不时地进进出出,我希望被允许成为这里的特许人物; —

that I might be regarded as an useless (and I would add, if it were not for the resemblance I detected between you and me), an unornamental, piece of furniture, tolerated for its old service, and taken no notice of.
我希望被视为一件无用的(我还想补充,除了发现了您和我之间的相似之处),一件不起装饰作用的家具,因为它的旧有服务而被容忍,却没有引起任何注意。 —

I doubt if I should abuse the permission.
我怀疑我是否会滥用这个许可。 —

It is a hundred to one if I should avail myself of it four times in a year.
我敢说,一年内我也不会利用它超过四次。 —

It would satisfy me, I dare say, to know that I had it.’
只要知道我有这个许可就足够了。”

‘Will you try?’
“您愿意尝试吗?”

‘That is another way of saying that I am placed on the footing I have indicated.
“那就是说我被安置在我所指示的地位上。谢谢你,达尔内。 —

I thank you, Darnay. I may use that freedom with your name?’
我能以你的名字来表示我的自由吗?”

‘I think so, Carton, by this time.’
“我想是的,卡尔顿,到现在应该可以了。”

They shook hands upon it, and Sydney turned away.
他们握手表示同意,并且悉尼转身离开。 —

Within a minute afterwards, he was, to all outward appearance, as unsubstantial as ever.
一分钟后,他在外表上看起来和以前一样虚幻。

When he has gone, and in the course of an evening passed with Miss Pross, the Doctor, and Mr. Lorry, Charles Darnay made some mention of this conversation in general terms, and spoke of Sydney Carton as a problem of carelessness and recklessness.
当他离开后,在和普罗斯小姐、医生和洛瑞先生度过的一个晚上里,查尔斯 达尔内以一般的方式提到了这次谈话,并把悉尼·卡尔顿描述为一个不谨慎和鲁莽的人。他说他,简而言之,并不是怀恨或者有意对他施压,而是像任何看到他表现如此的人可能会这样说。他没有想到这个会停留在他年轻漂亮的妻子的思想中; —

He spoke of him, in short, not bitterly or meaning to bear hard upon him, but as anybody might who saw him as he showed himself.
但是,当他后来在他们自己的房间里和她一起时,他发现她正在等他,并且额头的轻微皱纹清晰可见。

He had no idea that this could dwell in the thoughts of his fair young wife;
“我们今晚很有思想! —

but, when he afterwards joined her in their own rooms, he found her waiting for him with the old pretty lifting of the forehead strongly marked.
” 达尔内说着,把手臂放在她身上。

‘We are thoughtful to-night!’ said Darnay, drawing his arm about her.
“是的,最亲爱的查尔斯,”她的手放在他的胸前,盯着他投以询问和专注的眼神。“我们今晚确实有些思考,因为我们有些事情要思考。”

‘Yes, dearest Charles,’ with her hands on his breast, and the inquiring and attentive expression fixed upon him;
“是什么, —

‘we are rather thoughtful to-night, for we have something on our mind to-night.’
我的露西?”

‘What is it, my Lucie?’
“如果我请求你不要问一个问题,你能答应不再追问吗?”

‘Will you promise not to press one question on me, if I beg you not to ask it?’
“我会答应的。我对我的爱人能做什么承诺呢?”

“Will I promise? What will I not promise to my Love?’
“是的,我的爱人。你为什么要问这个问题呢?”

What, indeed, with his hand putting aside the golden hair from the cheek, and his other hand against the heart that beat for him!
在他抚摸时,把金色头发从脸颊旁边拨开,另一只手放在为他跳动的心脏上!

‘I think, Charles, poor Mr. Carton deserves more consideration and respect than you expressed for him to-night.’
“我想,查尔斯,可怜的卡尔顿先生应该得到比你今晚对他表达的更多的考虑和尊重。”

‘Indeed, my own? Why so?’
“确实吗,我亲爱的?为什么呢?”

‘That is what you are not to ask me?
“这是你不要问我的东西? —

But I think–I know–he does.’
但是我认为——我知道——他值得。”

‘If you know it, it is enough.
“如果你知道了,那就足够了。 —

What would you have me do, my Life?’
我的生活,你希望我做什么?”

‘I would ask you, dearest, to be very generous with him always, and very lenient on his faults when he is not by.
亲爱的,我请你对他总是非常慷慨,当他不在身边时对他的过失要非常宽容。 —

I would ask you to believe that he has a heart he very, very seldom reveals, and that there are deep wounds in it.
请你相信他有一个他很少展现的心灵,而且它上面深深地受伤了。亲爱的, —

My dear, I have seen it bleeding.’
我已经亲眼看到了它在流血。

‘It is a painful reflection to me, said Charles Darnay, quite astounded, ‘that I should have done him any wrong.
“我觉得对他有任何的冤枉都让我感到痛苦”,查尔斯 达尔内完全感到惊讶地说道, —

I never thought this of him.’
“我从来没有想过他会是这样的人。”

‘My husband, it is so. I fear he is not to be reclaimed;
亲爱的,事实就是这样。我怕他已经无可救药了, —

there is scarcely a hope that anything in his character or fortunes is reparable now.
他的性格和命运几乎无法修复。但是, —

But, I am sure that he is capable of good things, gentle things, even magnanimous things.’
我确定他有做好的事情,温柔的事情,甚至是宽宏大量的事情。

She looked so beautiful in the purity of her faith in this lost man, that her husband could have looked at her as she was for hours.
她以对这个迷失的人一片纯洁信仰的美丽姿态显得如此动人,以至于她的丈夫可以凝视着她几个小时。

‘And, O my dearest Love!’ she urged, clinging nearer to him, laying her head upon his breast, and raising her eyes to his, ‘remember how strong we are in our happiness, and how weak he is in his misery!’
亲爱的,我们幸福的力量是如此强大,而他在痛苦中是如此脆弱!她紧紧地贴近他,把头放在他的胸膛上,抬起眼睛看着他说道。

The supplication touched him home.
这个请愿触动了他的内心。 —

‘I will always remember it, dear Heart!
“亲爱的心肝,我会永远记得的! —

I will remember it as long as I live.’
我会记得它直到我死去。”

He bent over the golden head, and put the rosy lips to his, and folded her in his arms.
他俯下身,亲吻着那金色的头发,把玫瑰色的嘴唇贴在一起,将她紧紧地搂在怀里。 —

If one forlorn wanderer then pacing the dark streets, could have heard her innocent disclosure, and could have seen the drops of pity kissed away by her husband from the soft blue eyes so loving of that husband, he might have cried to the night–and the words would not have parted from his lips for the first time–
如果一个在黑暗街道上徘徊的孤独者听到了她无辜的自白,并且看到了她丈夫亲吻着那对对他充满爱意的柔和的蓝眼睛上的慈悲之泪,他可能会对着夜晚大喊——这句话不是第一次从他的嘴唇飙出来——

‘God bless her for her sweet compassion!’
“上帝保佑她的同情心!”