On emerging from the Bastille, Gringoire descended the Rue Saint-Antoine with the swiftness of a runaway horse. —
当格林瓜从巴士底狱出来时,他像一匹失控的马一样冲下圣安东尼街。 —

On arriving at the Baudoyer gate, he walked straight to the stone cross which rose in the middle of that place, as though he were able to distinguish in the darkness the figure of a man clad and cloaked in black, who was seated on the steps of the cross.
抵达包多伊耶门时,他径直走向那个矗立在那个地方中央的石十字架,仿佛他能在黑暗中看到一个身穿黑衣黑袍的人的形象,坐在十字架台阶上。

“Is it you, master?” said Gringoire.
“是你吗,主人?”格林瓜说。

The personage in black rose.
黑衣人物站起来了。

“Death and passion! You make me boil, Gringoire. —
“死亡和激情!你把我气疯了,格林瓜。 —

The man on the tower of Saint-Gervais has just cried half-past one o’clock in the morning.”
圣热夫朵塔楼上的人刚刚喊过半夜一点钟。”

“Oh,” retorted Gringoire, “‘tis no fault of mine, but of the watch and the king. —
“哦,”格林瓜反驳道,“这不是我的错,是看守和国王的错。 —

I have just had a narrow escape. I always just miss being hung. —
我刚刚惊险逃过一劫。我总是差点就被绞死。 —

‘Tis my predestination.”
这是我的命中注定。”

“You lack everything,” said the other. “But come quickly. Have you the password?”
“你一无所有,”另一个说,“但赶快来。你有暗号吗?”

“Fancy, master, I have seen the king. I come from him. —
“想象一下,主人,我见到了国王。我从他那里来。 —

He wears fustian breeches. ‘Tis an adventure.”
他穿着粗呢裤子。这真是一次奇遇。”

“Oh! distaff of words! what is your adventure to me! Have you the password of the outcasts?”
“哦!言辞的纺锤!你的奇遇对我有什么意义!你有贫民暗号吗?”

“I have it. Be at ease. ‘Little sword in pocket.’”
“我有。放心吧。‘口袋里的小剑’。”

“Good. Otherwise, we could not make our way as far as the church. The outcasts bar the streets. —
“很好。否则,我们无法一直走到教堂。贫民挡住了街道。” —

Fortunately, it appears that they have encountered resistance. —
幸运的是,他们似乎遇到了抵抗。 —

We may still arrive in time.”
我们可能还来得及赶到。”

“Yes, master, but how are we to get into Notre-Dame?”
“是的,主人,但我们如何进入巴黎圣母院呢?”

“I have the key to the tower.”
“我有通向塔楼的钥匙。”

“And how are we to get out again?”
“那我们如何再次出去?”

“Behind the cloister there is a little door which opens on the Terrain and the water. —
“在回廊后面有一扇小门,通向广场和水域。 —

I have taken the key to it, and I moored a boat there this morning.”
我带了钥匙,今天早上我绑了一只小船在那里。”

“I have had a beautiful escape from being hung!” Gringoire repeated.
“我刚才才逃过被吊死的命运!”格林瓜尔重复道。

“Eh, quick! come!” said the other.
“嘿,快点!来!”另一个人说。

Both descended towards the city with long strides.
两人大步向城市走去。