On the morrow of that Monday, Earnshaw being still unable to follow his ordinary employments, and therefore remaining about the house, I speedily found it would be impracticable to retain my charge beside me, as heretofore.
第二天早上,尽管恩肖还不能做他平时的工作,所以一直在房子里闲逛,但我很快意识到无法像以前那样让她一直陪在我身边了。 —

She got downstairs before me, and out into the garden, where she had seen her cousin performing some easy work;
她比我先下楼,跑到了花园里,她看见表弟在那里做些简单的活; —

and when I went to bid them come to breakfast, I saw she had persuaded him to clear a large space of ground from currant and gooseberry bushes, and they were busy planning together an importation of plants from the Grange.
当我去叫他们来吃早餐时,我看见她已经说服他清理了一大片地里的醋栗和茶藨子,他们正忙着一起计划从农庄引进一些植物。

I was terrified at the devastation which had been accomplished in a brief half-hour;
我对这短短半小时内发生的破坏感到惊恐不已; —

the black-currant trees were the apple of Joseph’s eye, and she had just fixed her choice of a flower-bed in the midst of them.
黑醋栗树是约瑟夫的掌上明珠,而她刚刚在它们中间选定了一个花坛。

“There! That will be all shown to the master, ” I exclaimed, “the minute it is discovered.
“啊!一旦被发现,这件事就会立刻被告诉主人,”我叫道。 —

And what excuse have you to offer for taking such liberties with the garden?
你对这庭院放肆行为有什么解释呢?我们肯定会引发一场大争端: —

We shall have a fine explosion on the head of it:
看你能不能给我们惹出麻烦! —

see if we don’t! Mr. Hareton, I wonder you should have no more wit than to go and make that mess at her bidding!”
看看我们不会吵翻天!哈里顿先生,我想知道你为什么就这么没有智慧,听从她的命令到处捣乱!

“I’d forgotten they were Joseph’s, ” answered Earnshaw, rather puzzled;
“我忘了这是约瑟夫的,”恩沙回答说,有些困惑, —

“but I’ll tell him I did it.”
“但我会告诉他是我做的。”

We always ate our meals with Mr. Heathcliff.
我们总是和希斯克利夫先生一起进餐。 —

I held the mistress’s post in making tea and carving;
我负责泡茶和切肉, —

so I was indispensable at table.
所以在餐桌上离不开我。 —

Catherine usually sat by me, but to-day she stole nearer to Hareton;
凯瑟琳通常坐在我旁边,但今天她却偷偷靠近了哈里顿。 —

and I presently saw she would have no more discretion in her friendship than she had in her hostility.
我立刻意识到她在友好上和她在敌意上一样没有分寸。

“Now, mind you don’t talk with and notice your cousin too much, ” were my whispered instructions as we entered the room.
“现在,记住不要和你表弟过多交谈和注意,”我悄声告诉她们进入房间时。 —

“It will certainly annoy Mr. Heathcliff, and he’ll be mad at you both.”
“这肯定会惹恼希斯克利夫先生,他会生你们两个的气的。”

“I’m not going to,” she answered.
“我不会的,”她回答道。

The minute after, she had sidled to him, and was sticking primroses in his plate of porridge.
一分钟后,她默默地走到他身边,将百里香花插在他的粥碗里。

He dared not speak to her there: he dared hardly look;
他不敢在那里跟她说话:他几乎不敢看她; —

and yet she went on teasing, till he was twice on the point of being provoked to laugh.
然而她仍然继续挑逗,让他几乎忍不住要笑。 —

I frowned, and then she glanced towards the master:
我皱了皱眉,然后她瞥了一眼主人: —

whose mind was occupied on other subjects than his company, as his countenance evinced;
他的心思全在其他事情上,从他的表情看出来; —

and she grew serious for an instant, scrutinizing him with deep gravity.
她严肃了一会儿,认真地审视着他。然后她转过身, —

Afterwards she turned, and recommenced her nonsense;
又重新开始胡言乱语; —

at last, Hareton uttered a smothered laugh.
最后,海顿突然笑了起来。 —

Mr. Heathcliff started; his eye rapidly surveyed our faces.
希思克里夫先生吃了一惊;他的眼睛迅速地扫视了我们的脸。 —

Catherine met it with her accustomed look of nervousness and yet defiance, which he abhorred.
凯瑟琳用她习惯的紧张而又挑衅的眼神对视,这是他所厌恶的。

“It is well you are out of my reach,” he exclaimed.
“你离我远一点,最好”,他大声说道。 —

“What fiend possesses you to stare back at me, continually, with those infernal eyes?
“是什么恶魔让你不停地盯着我看,用那双该死的眼睛? —

Down with them!
闭上它们! —

and don’t remind me of your existence again.
并且不要再提醒我你的存在了。 —

I thought I had cured you of laughing.”
我以为我已经治好了你笑的毛病。”

“It was me,” muttered Hareton.
“是我,”海顿嘟囔着说。

“What do you say?” demanded the master.
“你说什么?”主人要求道。

Hareton looked at his plate, and did not repeat the confession.
Hareton看着自己的盘子,没有重复他的忏悔。 —

Mr. Heathcliff looked at him a bit, and then silently resumed his breakfast and his interrupted musing.
希斯克利夫先生看了他一下,然后默默地继续吃早餐和中断的沉思。 —

We had nearly finished, and the two young people prudently shifted wider asunder, so I anticipated no further disturbance during that sitting:
我们几乎吃完了,两个年轻人明智地分开了,所以我预料到在那次坐下期间不会再有骚乱。 —

when Joseph appeared at the door, revealing by his quivering lip and furious eyes that the outrage committed on his precious shrubs was detected.
当约瑟夫出现在门口时,他的颤抖嘴唇和愤怒的眼睛表明对他珍爱的灌木丛的侵犯已经被发现。 —

He must have seen Cathy and her cousin about the spot before he examined it, for while his jaws worked like those of a cow chewing its cud, and rendered his speech difficult to understand, he began:—
他必须在检查之前见过凯蒂和她的表兄弟在那个地方,因为当他的下巴像咀嚼食物的牛一样运作,使他的讲话难以理解时,他开始说:

“I mun hev’ my wage, and I mun goa!
“我得到我的工资,我得离开! —

I hed aimed to dee wheare I’d sarved fur sixty year;
我已经决定在这里服役六十年了; —

and I thowt I’d lug my books up into t’ garret, and all my bits o’ stuff, and they sud hev’ t’ kitchen to theirseln;
我想把我的书都搬到阁楼上,还有我所有的小东西,他们可以独自使用厨房。” —

for t’ sake o’ quietness.
为了安静起见。 —

It wur hard to gie up my awn hearthstun, but I thowt I could do that!
我很难离开自己的炉边,但我想我可以做到这一点! —

But nah, shoo’s taan my garden fro’ me, and by th’ heart, maister, I cannot stand it!
但是不,她从我这里拿走了我的花园,天哪,主人,我不能容忍! —

Yah may bend to th’ yoak an ye will—I noan used to ’t, and an old man doesn’t sooin get used to new barthens.
你们可以屈服于这个作奴隶的命运,但是我不习惯,一个老人不会很快适应新的负担。 —

I’d rayther arn my bite an’ my sup wi’ a hammer in th’ road!”
我宁愿在路上用锤子吃口饭!

“Now, now, idiot!” interrupted Heathcliff, “cut it short! What’s your grievance?
“现在,现在,白痴!”希斯克利夫打断道,“说短点!你有什么不满? —

I’ll interfere in no quarrels between you and Nelly. She may thrust you into the coal-hole for anything I care.”
我不会干涉你和奈利之间的争吵。她可以把你推进煤洞里,我一点也不在乎。

“It’s noan Nelly!” answered Joseph.
“不是奈利!”约瑟夫回答道。“我不会为奈利搬家的, —

“I sudn’t shift for Nelly—nasty ill nowt as shoo is.
她那个恶心的东西。感谢上帝!她不能偷走任何人的灵魂!她从来不够漂亮, —

Thank God!
让人们一眼就能看到她。 —

shoo cannot stale t’ sowl o’ nob’dy!
是那个可怕的、不真诚的女人, —

Shoo wer niver soa handsome, but what a body mud look at her ’bout winking.
她用她大胆的眼神和傲慢的举止迷住了我们的小伙子,直到——哎呀!这简直让我心碎! —

It’s yon flaysome, graceless quean, that’s witched our lad, wi’ her bold een and her forrard ways—till—Nay!
请保持原样! —

it fair brusts my heart!
” —

He’s forgotten all I’ve done for him, and made on him, and goan and riven up a whole row o’ t’ grandest currant-trees i’ t’ garden!
他忘记了我为他所作的一切,在他身上付出的努力,还铲除了整排花园里最棒的醋栗树! —

” and here he lamented outright;
“他已经完全忘记了我所受的苦难, —

unmanned by a sense of his bitter injuries, and Earnshaw’s ingratitude and dangerous condition.
以及他对我的恩情和危险的状况,”他失声痛哭起来,深感自己受到了无尽的伤害。

“Is the fool drunk?” asked Mr. Heathcliff.
“傻瓜喝醉了吗?”希思克里夫先生问道, —

“Hareton, is it you he’s finding fault with?”
“哈里顿,他是在挑你的毛病吗?”

“I’ve pulled up two or three bushes, ” replied the young man;
“我已经把两三棵灌木拔了起来,”年轻人回答道, —

“but I’m going to set ’em again.”
“但我打算再种下去。”

“And why have you pulled them up?” said the master.
“你为什么拔掉它们?”主人问道。

Catherine wisely put in her tongue.
凯瑟琳明智地插嘴了。

“We wanted to plant some flowers there,” she cried.
“我们想在那里种些花,”她喊道, —

“I’m the only person to blame, for I wished him to do it.”
“全怪我,因为我想让他这样做。”

“And who the devil gave you leave to touch a stick about the place?
“魔鬼谁给了你权利在这地方乱碰?”他的岳父非常惊讶地问道,“谁命令你听她的?” —

” demanded her father-in-law, much surprised.
“他给了,”她回答道, —

“And who ordered you to obey her?
“哈里顿。” —

” he added, turning to Hareton.
他转向哈里顿,补充道。

The latter was speechless;
后者一言不发, —

his cousin replied—“You shouldn’t grudge a few yards of earth for me to ornament, when you have taken all my land!”
他的表兄回答说:“你不应该因为我要装饰几码地而心怀不满,当你占据了我所有的土地!”

“Your land, insolent slut!
“你的土地,无礼的贱人! —

You never had any,” said Heathcliff.
你从来就没有任何土地,”希思克里夫说。

“And my money,” she continued;
“还有我的钱, —

returning his angry glare, and meantime biting a piece of crust, the remnant of her breakfast.
”她继续说道,同时咬着一块硬面包皮,这是她早餐剩下的一点东西。

“Silence!” he exclaimed. “Get done, and begone!”
“安静!” 他大声说道。“赶快滚蛋!”

“And Hareton’s land, and his money, ” pursued the reckless thing.
“还有海顿的土地和他的钱,”这个鲁莽的女孩继续说道。 —

“Hareton and I are friends now;
“海顿和我现在是朋友, —

and I shall tell him all about you!”
我会把你的事情告诉他!”

The master seemed confounded a moment: he grew pale, and rose up, eyeing her all the while, with an expression of mortal hate.
主人看起来有些困惑,他脸色苍白,站了起来,一直盯着她看,充满了致命的仇恨。

“If you strike me, Hareton will strike you, ” she said; “so you may as well sit down.”
“如果你打我,海顿会打你的,”她说。“你还是坐下吧。”

“If Hareton does not turn you out of the room, I’ll strike him to hell, ” thundered Heathcliff.
“如果海顿不把你赶出房间,我会把他打到地狱,”希思克里夫咆哮道。“可恶的巫婆!你敢假装煽动他反对我吗?把她扔到厨房里去! —

“Damnable witch!
听到了吗?” —

dare you pretend to rouse him against me? Off with her!
“把她扔到厨房里去! —

Do you hear? Fling her into the kitchen!
” —

I’ll kill her, Ellen Dean, if you let her come into my sight again!”
如果你再让她出现在我面前,我会杀了她,埃伦·迪恩!

Hareton tried, under his breath, to persuade her to go.
Hareton低声劝她走开。

“Drag her away!” he cried, savagely.
他凶恶地喊着:“把她拖走! —

“Are you staying to talk?
”“你还留在这里说什么? —

” And he approached to execute his own command.
”他上前执行自己的命令。

“He’ll not obey you, wicked man, any more, ” said Catherine; “and he’ll soon detest you as much as I do.”
“邪恶的人,他再也不会听你的话了。”凯瑟琳说,“他很快就会像我一样憎恨你。”

“Wisht! wisht!” muttered the young man, reproachfully;
年轻人申斥地低声说: —

“I will not hear you speak so to him.
“别这样说他。别再说了。 —

Have done.”

“But you won’t let him strike me?” she cried.
她喊道:“但你不会让他打我吧?”

“Come, then,” he whispered earnestly.
他急切地低声说。

It was too late: Heathcliff had caught hold of her.
可为时已晚,希思克里夫抓住了她。

“Now, you go!” he said to Earnshaw. “Accursed witch!
他对Earnshaw说:“你走吧!该死的女巫! —

this time she has provoked me when I could not bear it;
这次她让我无法忍受; —

and I’ll make her repent it for ever!”
我要让她永远后悔!”

He had his hand in her hair;
他的手抓住了她的头发; —

Hareton attempted to release her locks, entreating him not to hurt her that once.
Hareton试图放开她的发鬏,请求他这一次不要伤害她。 —

Heathcliff’s black eyes flashed;
希思克里夫黑色的眼睛闪烁着。 —

he seemed ready to tear Catherine in pieces, and I was just worked up to risk coming to the rescue, when of a sudden his fingers relaxed;
他似乎已经准备好将凯瑟琳撕成碎片了,而我只是兴奋得冒险前来救援,突然间他的手指放松了。 —

he shifted his grasp from her head to her arm, and gazed intently in her face.
他把手从她的头上移到她的手臂上,专注地看着她的脸。 —

Then he drew his hand over his eyes, stood a moment to collect himself apparently, and turning anew to Catherine, said, with assumed calmness—“You must learn to avoid putting me in a passion, or I shall really murder you some time!
然后他用手揉了揉眼睛,站了一会儿似乎在收拾自己,然后重新转向凯瑟琳,冷静地说道:“你必须学会避免激怒我,否则有一天我真的会杀了你!” —

Go with Mrs. Dean, and keep with her;
去找迪恩夫人,并跟着她。 —

and confine your insolence to her ears.
把你的傲慢留给她一个人听。 —

As to Hareton Earnshaw, if I see him listen to you, I’ll send him seeking his bread where he can get it!
至于海顿·恩肖,如果我看到他听你的话,我会让他自己去寻找生活的出路! —

Your love will make him an outcast and a beggar.
你的爱会使他成为一个被社会抛弃的乞丐。 —

Nelly, take her;
尼莉,带她走; —

and leave me, all of you! Leave me!”
而且你们都离开我!离开我!”

I led my young lady out: she was too glad of her escape to resist;
我带着我的小姐走出了房间:她太高兴逃脱了,没有反抗。 —

the other followed, and Mr. Heathcliff had the room to himself till dinner.
另一个跟着走了,直到晚餐时,希斯克利夫先生才享有了独处的房间。 —

I had counselled Catherine to dine upstairs; but, as soon as he perceived her vacant seat, he sent me to call her.
我曾经向凯瑟琳建议在楼上用餐,但是当他看到她空着的座位时,他让我去叫她。 —

He spoke to none of us, ate very little, and went out directly afterwards, intimating that he should not return before evening.
他没有和我们任何人说话,吃得很少,然后直接离开了,暗示他晚上之前不会回来。

The two new friends established themselves in the house during his absence;
这两个新朋友在他不在的时候住进了房子里。 —

where I heard Hareton sternly check his cousin, on her offering a revelation of her father-in-law’s conduct to his father.
我在那里听到哈里顿严厉地制止他表妹,当她要爆料她公公的行为给他的父亲时。 —

He said he wouldn’t suffer a word to be uttered in his disparagement:
他说他不允许有一句贬低他的话被说出来: —

if he were the devil, it didn’t signify; he would stand by him;
即使他是魔鬼,也无所谓;他会支持他; —

and he’d rather she would abuse himself, as she used to, than begin on Mr. Heathcliff.
他宁愿她辱骂自己,就像以前一样,也不愿意开始对希斯克利夫说坏话。 —

Catherine was waxing cross at this;
凯瑟琳开始生气了; —

but he found means to make her hold her tongue, by asking how she would like him to speak ill of her father?
但他设法让她闭嘴,问她如果他说她父亲的坏话,她会不会喜欢? —

Then she comprehended that Earnshaw took the master’s reputation home to himself;
然后她明白了厄恩肖姆把主人的名声当成自己的事情。 —

and was attached by ties stronger than reason could break—chains, forged by habit, which it would be cruel to attempt to loosen.
而且,这种联系坚不可摧由习惯所锻造的,要试图削弱这种联系是残忍的。 —

She showed a good heart, thenceforth, in avoiding both complaints and expressions of antipathy concerning Heathcliff;
从那时起,她表现出了善良的心,避免对希斯克利夫发表抱怨和厌恶的言辞。 —

and confessed to me her sorrow that she had endeavoured to raise a bad spirit between him and Hareton:
并且向我坦白她为什么曾试图在希斯克利夫和哈雷顿之间挑起不愉快。 —

indeed, I don’t believe she has ever breathed a syllable, in the latter’s hearing, against her oppressor since.
实际上,我相信她从那以后再也没有在哈雷顿的听到的地方提到过她的压迫者。

When this slight disagreement was over, they were friends again, and as busy as possible in their several occupations of pupil and teacher.
当这点小小的分歧解决后,他们又重新成为朋友,各自忙于他们的学生和教师的工作。 —

I came in to sit with them, after I had done my work;
在我完成工作后,我去和他们坐在一起, —

and I felt so soothed and comforted to watch them, that I did not notice how time got on.
我感到非常安抚和舒适,看着他们,我没有注意到时间已经过去了。 —

You know, they both appeared in a measure my children:
你知道的,他们都几乎像是我的孩子: —

I had long been proud of one;
我一直为其中一个而感到自豪; —

and now, I was sure, the other would be a source of equal satisfaction.
现在,我确定,另一个会带来同样的满足感。 —

His honest, warm, and intelligent nature shook off rapidly the clouds of ignorance and degradation in which it had been bred;
他诚实、温暖和聪明的天性迅速摆脱了它曾经培养的无知和堕落的阴云; —

and Catherine’s sincere commendations acted as a spur to his industry.
而凯瑟琳真诚的赞扬激发了他的努力。 —

His brightening mind brightened his features, and added spirit and nobility to their aspect:
他心灵的明亮使他的容貌亮丽起来,并为其带来了活力和高贵的气质: —

I could hardly fancy it the same individual I had beheld on the day I discovered my little lady at Wuthering Heights, after her expedition to the Crags. While I admired and they laboured, dusk drew on, and with it returned the master.
我几乎无法想象它是同一个我在温丁高地发现我小娘子后看到的那个人,她刚刚从峭壁回来的那一天。当我欣赏着他们的工作时,暮色降临,主人也随之归来。 —

He came upon us quite unexpectedly, entering by the front way, and had a full view of the whole three, ere we could raise our heads to glance at him.
他毫无预兆地进来,通过前门,可以完整地看到整个场景,我们还没来得及抬头看他一眼。 —

Well, I reflected, there was never a pleasanter, or more harmless sight; and it will be a burning shame to scold them.
好吧,我想,再没有什么比这更愉快和无害的景象了;责备他们将是一种不公正的羞辱。 —

The red fire-light glowed on their two bonny heads, and revealed their faces animated with the eager interest of children;
红色的火光照亮了他们两个漂亮的头,揭示出他们充满孩子般的热切兴趣的脸庞; —

for, though he was twenty-three and she eighteen, each had so much of novelty to feel and learn, that neither experienced nor evinced the sentiments of sober disenchanted maturity.
尽管他二十三岁,她十八岁,他们每个人都有很多的新奇感和学习的东西,以至于他们都没有体验到或表达出成熟的醒悟成熟的情感。

They lifted their eyes together, to encounter Mr. Heathcliff:
他们一起抬起头,面对希斯克利夫先生。 —

perhaps you have never remarked that their eyes are precisely similar, and they are those of Catherine Earnshaw.
也许你从未注意过他们的双眼是非常相似的,它们就是凯瑟琳·恩肖的双眼。 —

The present Catherine has no other likeness to her, except a breadth of forehead, and a certain arch of the nostril that makes her appear rather haughty, whether she will or not.
现在的凯瑟琳除了额头的宽度和鼻孔的一种特定的弯曲(不论她情愿与否),与她没有其他相似之处,这使她看起来相当高傲。 —

With Hareton the resemblance is carried farther:
与哈里顿的相似之处更进一步: —

it is singular at all times, then it was particularly striking;
这总是引人注目的,那时尤为明显; —

because his senses were alert, and his mental faculties wakened to unwonted activity.
因为他的感官敏锐,并且他的心智活动异常活跃。 —

I suppose this resemblance disarmed Mr. Heathcliff:
我想这种相似之处使希斯克利夫先生放下了戒备: —

he walked to the hearth in evident agitation;
他显然心神不宁地走到壁炉旁, —

but it quickly subsided as he looked at the young man:
但当他看着这个年轻人时,情绪很快平息了:或者我应该说, —

or, I should say, altered its character;
它的性质发生了变化; —

for it was there yet. He took the book from his hand, and glanced at the open page, then returned it without any observation;
因为它还在那里。他从他的手中拿过书,瞥了一眼打开的页码,然后毫无观察地放回去; —

merely signing Catherine away:
只是简单地把凯瑟琳赶走: —

her companion lingered very little behind her, and I was about to depart also, but he bid me sit still.
她的伴侣稍微迟疑了一下,我也要离开了,但他让我坐着不动。

“It is a poor conclusion, is it not?” he observed, having brooded a while on the scene he had just witnessed:
“这个结局很差,不是吗?”他评论道,对刚刚见证的场景默默地思考了一会儿: —

“an absurd termination to my violent exertions?
“对我激烈的努力来说,这是个荒谬的结局吗? —

I get levers and mattocks to demolish the two houses, and train myself to be capable of working like Hercules, and when everything is ready and in my power, I find the will to lift a slate off either roof has vanished!
我拿来杠杆和锄头,拆掉两栋房子,使自己有能力像大力士一样工作,但当一切准备就绪、尽在我掌握之时,我发现能够抬起屋顶上的石板的意愿已经消失了! —

My old enemies have not beaten me;
我的旧敌人没有打败我; —

now would be the precise time to revenge myself on their representatives:
现在正是报复他们代表的绝佳时机:我可以做到; —

I could do it; and none could hinder me.
没有人能阻止我。 —

But where is the use? I don’t care for striking:
但这有什么用呢?我不在乎打击别人: —

I can’t take the trouble to raise my hand!
我懒得抬手! —

That sounds as if I had been labouring the whole time only to exhibit a fine trait of magnanimity.
那听起来好像我一直在辛勤劳作,只为展示出慷慨的美德。 —

It is far from being the case:
事实远非如此。 —

I have lost the faculty of enjoying their destruction, and I am too idle to destroy for nothing.
我已经失去了享受他们毁灭的能力,而且我太懒惰了,不能无缘无故地毁灭。

“Nelly, there is a strange change approaching;
“妮莉,一种奇怪的变化即将来临; —

I’m in its shadow at present.
我现在正处在它的阴影之下。 —

I take so little interest in my daily life that I hardly remember to eat and drink.
我对我日常生活的兴趣如此之小,以至于我几乎忘记吃喝。 —

Those two who have left the room are the only objects which retain a distinct material appearance to me;
离开房间的那两个人是我唯一保留了清晰实物外貌的对象; —

and that appearance causes me pain, amounting to agony.
而那个外貌给我带来了痛苦,程度达到了极度的痛苦。 —

About her I won’t speak;
关于“她”,我不愿多说, —

and I don’t desire to think;
也不希望去思考; —

but I earnestly wish she were invisible:
但我真诚地希望她是看不见的: —

her presence invokes only maddening sensations.
她的存在只会引发令人发狂的感觉。至于“他”, —

He moves me differently:
他让我有不同的感觉: —

and yet if I could do it without seeming insane, I’d never see him again!
然而,如果我可以在看起来不疯狂的情况下做到这一点,我宁愿永远不再见他! —

You’ll perhaps think me rather inclined to become so, ” he added, making an effort to smile, “if I try to describe the thousand forms of past associations and ideas he awakens or embodies.
如果我试图描述他所唤起或具体体现的千种过去的联想和思维方式,你也许会认为我有这种倾向。 —

But you’ll not talk of what I tell you;
但你不会谈论我告诉你的事情; —

and my mind is so eternally secluded in itself, it is tempting at last to turn it out to another.
而我的思想一直都在与内心隐蔽为伍,最终将其交付给另一个人是非常诱人的。

“Five minutes ago Hareton seemed a personification of my youth, not a human being;
“五分钟前,海尔顿似乎是我青春的具象,而不是一个人类; —

I felt to him in such a variety of ways, that it would have been impossible to have accosted him rationally.
我对他的感觉如此多样,以至于不可能以理性的方式去接触他。 —

In the first place, his startling likeness to Catherine connected him fearfully with her.
首先,他与凯瑟琳惊人的相似性可怕地将他与她联系在一起。 —

That, however, which you may suppose the most potent to arrest my imagination, is actually the least: for what is not connected with her to me?
然而,你可能认为最具有引起我的想象力的是实际上最不重要的:因为对我来说,与她无关的事物有哪个呢? —

and what does not recall her?
到目前为止, —

I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags!
我无法低头看这地板,她的脸部特征就在地砖上显现出来! —

In every cloud, in every tree—filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object by day—I am surrounded with her image!
在每朵云中,在每棵树上——在夜空中弥漫着,白天捕捉到每个物体的一瞥——我被她的形象所包围! —

The most ordinary faces of men and women—my own features—mock me with a resemblance.
最普通的男人和女人的面孔——我自己的面貌——以一种相似之处嘲弄着我。 —

The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
整个世界是一本可怕的纪念册,证明她曾经存在,而我已经失去了她! —

Well, Hareton’s aspect was the ghost of my immortal love; of my wild endeavours to hold my right;
嗯,哈里顿的样子是我永恒的爱的幽灵;是我为保卫我的权利所做的疯狂努力; —

my degradation, my pride, my happiness, and my anguish—
我的堕落,我的骄傲,我的幸福,我的痛苦——

“But it is frenzy to repeat these thoughts to you:
“但是把这些想法再次告诉你真是疯狂: —

only it will let you know why, with a reluctance to be always alone, his society is no benefit;
只是让你知道为什么,虽然不愿意总是孤独,他的陪伴对我没有好处; —

rather an aggravation of the constant torment I suffer:
只是增加了我一直遭受的折磨; —

and it partly contributes to render me regardless how he and his cousin go on together.
而且这在一定程度上导致我对他和他的表兄妹共同生活不再关注。 —

I can give them no attention any more.”
我不能再关注他们了。”

“But what do you mean by a change, Mr. Heathcliff?” I said, alarmed at his manner:
“但是希斯克里夫先生,你所指的‘改变’是什么意思?”我惊慌地说: —

though he was neither in danger of losing his senses, nor dying, according to my judgment:
尽管据我判断,他既没有失去理智的危险,也没有濒临死亡的情况, —

he was quite strong and healthy;
他的身体非常强壮和健康; —

and, as to his reason, from childhood he had a delight in dwelling on dark things, and entertaining odd fancies.
至于他的理智,从小他就喜欢谈论黑暗的事物,满怀奇怪的幻想; —

He might have had a monomania on the subject of his departed idol;
他可能对他已故的偶像有着一种偏执狂; —

but on every other point his wits were as sound as mine.
但在其他方面,他的理智跟我一样清晰;

“I shall not know that till it comes,” he said;
“直到它来临我才会知道,”他说, —

“I’m only half conscious of it now.”
“我现在只有一半的意识。”

“You have no feeling of illness, have you?” I asked.
“你没有感觉到病痛吗?”我问道。

“No, Nelly, I have not,” he answered.
“没有,Nelly,”他回答道。

“Then you are not afraid of death?” I pursued.
“那么你不怕死亡吗?”我继续问道。

“Afraid? No!” he replied. “I have neither a fear, nor a presentiment, nor a hope of death.
“害怕?不!”他回答道,“我对死亡既没有恐惧,也没有预感,也没有希望。 —

Why should I?
我为什么要害怕呢? —

With my hard constitution and temperate mode of living, and unperilous occupations, I ought to, and probably shall, remain above ground till there is scarcely a black hair on my head.
考虑到我的强壮体质、适度的生活方式和无风险的职业,我应该,并且很可能会,活到头发上几乎没有一根黑线的时候。” —

And yet I cannot continue in this condition!
然而我不能继续处于这种状态! —

I have to remind myself to breathe—almost to remind my heart to beat!
我必须提醒自己呼吸,几乎是提醒我的心脏跳动! —

And it is like bending back a stiff spring:
这就像是弯曲一根僵硬的弹簧: —

it is by compulsion that I do the slightest act not prompted by one thought;
我不受思想的驱使就不会做出任何微小的行动; —

and by compulsion that I notice anything alive or dead, which is not associated with one universal idea.
我是被强迫注意到任何与一种普遍思想无关的活的或死的东西。 —

I have a single wish, and my whole being and faculties are yearning to attain it.
我只有一个愿望,我的整个存在和能力都渴望实现它。 —

They have yearned towards it so long, and so unwaveringly, that I’m convinced it will be reached—and soon—because it has devoured my existence:
它们已经如此长时间和如此坚定地渴望它,以至于我相信它将会实现,并且很快,因为它已经吞噬了我的存在: —

I am swallowed up in the anticipation of its fulfilment. My confessions have not relieved me;
我完全被对其实现的期待所吞噬。我的忏悔并没有解脱我; —

but they may account for some otherwise unaccountable phases of humour which I show.
但它们可能解释我展示的一些否则难以解释的幽默阶段。 —

O God! It is a long fight; I wish it were over!”
哦,上帝!这是一场漫长的战斗;我真希望它能结束!”

He began to pace the room, muttering terrible things to himself, till I was inclined to believe, as he said Joseph did, that conscience had turned his heart to an earthly hell.
他开始在房间里踱来踱去,嘴里念叨着可怕的事情,以至于我倾向于相信,就像他说的约瑟夫那样,他的良心已经把他的心灵变成了一个人间地狱。 —

I wondered greatly how it would end.
我很想知道这将以何种方式结束。 —

Though he seldom before had revealed this state of mind, even by looks, it was his habitual mood, I had no doubt: he asserted it himself;
虽然他以往很少通过表情透露这种心境,但这却是他的习惯状态,我毫不怀疑:他自己也肯定了这一点; —

but not a soul, from his general bearing, would have conjectured the fact.
但从他的总体行为来看,没有一个人能猜测到这个事实。 —

You did not when you saw him, Mr. Lockwood:
您在看到他时并没有注意到,洛克伍德先生: —

and at the period of which I speak, he was just the same as then;
而我所说的这个时期,他和以前一样; —

only fonder of continued solitude, and perhaps still more laconic in company.
只是更喜欢持续的孤独,也许在别人面前更加简洁。