As soon as I had perused this epistle I went to the master, and informed him that his sister had arrived at the Heights, and sent me a letter expressing her sorrow for Mrs. Linton’s situation, and her ardent desire to see him;
我一看完这封信就去找主人,告诉他他的姐姐已经到达了高地,并且给我写了封信表达对林顿夫人状况的悲伤以及她急切想见他的愿望; —

with a wish that he would transmit to her, as early as possible, some token of forgiveness by me.
并希望他尽早通过我给她传达一些宽恕的表示。

“Forgiveness!” said Linton.
“宽恕!”林顿说,“对不起, —

“I have nothing to forgive her, Ellen. You may call at Wuthering Heights this afternoon, if you like, and say that I am not angry, but I’m sorry to have lost her;
艾伦,我没有任何需要原谅她的事情。你可以在今天下午去呼啸山庄,告诉她,我不是“生气”,但我“遗憾”失去了她; —

especially as I can never think she’ll be happy.
尤其是因为我永远不会认为她会幸福。 —

It is out of the question my going to see her, however: we are eternally divided;
然而,我不可能去见她:我们永远分开; —

and should she really wish to oblige me, let her persuade the villain she has married to leave the country.”
如果她真的希望让我开心,就让她劝说那个她嫁给的恶棍离开这个国家。”

“And you won’t write her a little note, sir?” I asked, imploringly.
“那您不会写封小纸条给她吗,先生?”我恳求地问道。

“No,” he answered. “It is needless.
“不,”他回答,“没必要。 —

My communication with Heathcliff’s family shall be as sparing as his with mine.
我与希斯克利夫的家族的联系将和他与我的一样减少到最低限度。 —

It shall not exist!”
它将不存在!”

Mr. Edgar’s coldness depressed me exceedingly;
Edgar先生的冷漠极其让我沮丧;从Grange出发一路上, —

and all the way from the Grange I puzzled my brains how to put more heart into what he said, when I repeated it;
我一直在纠结如何使他说的话更有情感,如何缓和他对伊莎贝拉的拒绝。我猜她早上就一直在等我; —

and how to soften his refusal of even a few lines to console Isabella.
当我走上花园小路时,我看见她透过格子窗户望着我, —

I daresay she had been on the watch for me since morning:
我向她点了点头;但她退后了,好像害怕被发现一样; —

I saw her looking through the lattice as I came up the garden causeway, and I nodded to her; but she drew back, as if afraid of being observed.
我没有敲门就走了进去。曾经快乐的房子变得如此沉闷和凄凉! —

I entered without knocking. There never was such a dreary, dismal scene as the formerly cheerful house presented!
我必须承认,如果我处在那位年轻女士的位置上,至少我会打扫一下壁炉,用抹布擦拭一下桌子。 —

I must confess, that if I had been in the young lady’s place, I would, at least, have swept the hearth, and wiped the tables with a duster.
但她已经沾染上了围绕她的那种漠不关心的氛围。她漂亮的脸色苍白而无力;她的头发散乱着: —

But she already partook of the pervading spirit of neglect which encompassed her.
一些头发懒散地垂着,一些随意地绕在她的头上。 —

Her pretty face was wan and listless; her hair uncurled:
可能自昨天晚上以来她就没有动过她的衣服。 —

some locks hanging lankly down, and some carelessly twisted round her head.
— —

Probably she had not touched her dress since yester evening.

Hindley was not there. Mr. Heathcliff sat at a table, turning over some papers in his pocket-book;
希恩德利不在场。希斯克里夫先生坐在桌子旁,翻看着口袋里的一些文件; —

but he rose when I appeared, asked me how I did, quite friendly, and offered me a chair.
但是当我出现时,他站起来,友好地问候我,并给我提供了一张椅子。在那里, —

He was the only thing there that seemed decent;
他是唯一一件看起来还像样的东西; —

and I thought he never looked better.
我认为他看起来从未如此好过。 —

So much had circumstances altered their positions, that he would certainly have struck a stranger as a born and bred gentleman;
环境发生了如此大的变化,他肯定会给陌生人留下出身高贵的绅士的印象; —

and his wife as a thorough little slattern!
而他的妻子则是一个彻头彻尾的邋遢女人! —

She came forward eagerly to greet me, and held out one hand to take the expected letter.
她热情地走过来迎接我,并伸出一只手接过预期中的信件。 —

I shook my head.
我摇了摇头; —

She wouldn’t understand the hint, but followed me to a sideboard, where I went to lay my bonnet, and importuned me in a whisper to give her directly what I had brought.
她不懂我的暗示,却跟着我走到一张餐具柜前,我正要放下我的帽子,她悄声地恳求我立刻把我带来的东西给她; —

Heathcliff guessed the meaning of her manœuvres, and said—“If you have got anything for Isabella (as no doubt you have, Nelly), give it to her.
希斯克里夫猜到了她的意思,说:“妮莉,如果你有东西给伊莎贝拉(毫无疑问,你是有的),就给她吧; —

You needn’t make a secret of it:
你不需要对此保密: —

we have no secrets between us.”
我们之间没有秘密。”

“Oh, I have nothing,” I replied, thinking it best to speak the truth at once.
“噢,我什么也没有,”我回答道,立即认为实话最好。 —

“My master bid me tell his sister that she must not expect either a letter or a visit from him at present.
“我的主人吩咐我告诉他的妹妹,她不要期待他目前会写信或来访。 —

He sends his love, ma’am, and his wishes for your happiness, and his pardon for the grief you have occasioned;
他向您问好,夫人,并祝您幸福,对您所引起的痛苦他表示宽恕; —

but he thinks that after this time his household and the household here should drop intercommunication, as nothing could come of keeping it up.”
但他认为这次以后,这里的家和他家不应该再保持联系,因为保持联系没有任何意义。”

Mrs. Heathcliff’s lip quivered slightly, and she returned to her seat in the window.
Heathcliff夫人的嘴唇微微颤抖了一下,她回到窗户边的座位上。 —

Her husband took his stand on the hearthstone, near me, and began to put questions concerning Catherine.
她的丈夫站在离我不远的壁炉石上,开始询问有关Catherine的问题。 —

I told him as much as I thought proper of her illness, and he extorted from me, by cross-examination, most of the facts connected with its origin.
我告诉他关于她病情的尽可能多的信息,他通过盘问从我那里揪出了与其起源有关的大部分事实。 —

I blamed her, as she deserved, for bringing it all on herself;
我谴责了她,她实至名归地把这一切带到了自己身上; —

and ended by hoping that he would follow Mr. Linton’s example and avoid future interference with his family, for good or evil.
希望他能遵循林顿先生的榜样,将来不再干涉他的家人,不论是好是坏。

“Mrs. Linton is now just recovering,” I said;
“林顿夫人现在才刚刚恢复过来,”我说, —

“she’ll never be like she was, but her life is spared;
“她再也不会像以前那样了,但她的生命得以保全; —

and if you really have a regard for her, you’ll shun crossing her way again: nay, you’ll move out of this country entirely;
如果你真心关心她,你就会避免再次与她交错道路:甚至你会完全搬离这个国家; —

and that you may not regret it, I’ll inform you Catherine Linton is as different now from your old friend Catherine Earnshaw, as that young lady is different from me.
为了使你不后悔,我告诉你,凯瑟琳·林顿如今已经与你的老友凯瑟琳·恩肖大不相同,正如那位年轻女士与我并不相同一样。 —

Her appearance is changed greatly, her character much more so;
她的外貌发生了很大的变化,她的性格也发生了很大的变化; —

and the person who is compelled, of necessity, to be her companion, will only sustain his affection hereafter by the remembrance of what she once was, by common humanity, and a sense of duty!”
那个被迫必须与她为伴的人,只能通过对她曾经的记忆、对普通人性的尊重以及对责任的意识来维持他的情感!”

“That is quite possible, ” remarked Heathcliff, forcing himself to seem calm:
“那是完全可能的,”希思克里夫强迫自己保持冷静地说道。 —

“quite possible that your master should have nothing but common humanity and a sense of duty to fall back upon.
“很有可能,你的主人除了常人的善良和责任感之外别无依靠。 —

But do you imagine that I shall leave Catherine to his duty and humanity?
但你难道以为我会将凯瑟琳交给他的‘责任’和‘人性’吗? —

and can you compare my feelings respecting Catherine to his?
你能将我对凯瑟琳的感情与他相提并论吗? —

Before you leave this house, I must exact a promise from you that you’ll get me an interview with her:
在你离开这个屋子之前,我必须要求你答应我一个机会与她见面: —

consent, or refuse, I will see her! What do you say?”
无论你同意还是不同意,我都会见她!你怎么说?

“I say, Mr. Heathcliff,” I replied, “you must not: you never shall, through my means.
“我说,希斯克利夫先生,你不可以:你永远不会通过我的手让她见到你。 —

Another encounter between you and the master would kill her altogether.”
你和主人之间的又一次相遇会完全击垮她。”

“With your aid that may be avoided,” he continued;
“借助你的帮助,这种情况可以避免, —

“and should there be danger of such an event—should he be the cause of adding a single trouble more to her existence—why, I think I shall be justified in going to extremes!
”他继续说道,“而且如果真的有可能发生这样的事情——如果他是在给她的生活增添一点麻烦的原因——嗯,我觉得我会有理由采取极端行动! —

I wish you had sincerity enough to tell me whether Catherine would suffer greatly from his loss:
我希望你能够真诚地告诉我,凯瑟琳会因为他的离开而遭受巨大的痛苦: —

the fear that she would restrains me.
正是对她的担忧阻止了我。” —

And there you see the distinction between our feelings:
在这里你可以看到我们感情的区别: —

had he been in my place, and I in his, though I hated him with a hatred that turned my life to gall, I never would have raised a hand against him.
如果他处于我的位置,而我处于他的位置,即使我恨他恨得要把我的生命变成苦涩,我也绝不会对他动手。 —

You may look incredulous, if you please!
如果你觉得难以置信,可以这样想! —

I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his.
只要她仍然希望和他在一起,我永远不会把他从她的身边驱逐出去。 —

The moment her regard ceased, I would have torn his heart out, and drunk his blood!
一旦她不再关心他,我会撕碎他的心脏,喝他的血! —

But, till then—if you don’t believe me, you don’t know me—till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!”
但是,在那之前——如果你不相信我,那是因为你不了解我——在那之前,我宁愿一寸一寸地死,也不会碰他一根头发!

“And yet,” I interrupted, “you have no scruples in completely ruining all hopes of her perfect restoration, by thrusting yourself into her remembrance now, when she has nearly forgotten you, and involving her in a new tumult of discord and distress.”
“然而,”我打断道,“你却毫不在乎完全破坏了她恢复健康的所有希望,现在插入她的记忆中,在她几乎忘记你的时候,将她卷入新的纷争和困厄之中。”

“You suppose she has nearly forgotten me?
“你以为她几乎忘记了我?”他说。 —

” he said. “Oh, Nelly!
“哦,妮莉! —

you know she has not!
你知道她没有!” —

You know as well as I do, that for every thought she spends on Linton she spends a thousand on me!
你我都明白,她对林顿的每一个想法,她对我的想法就有一千个! —

At a most miserable period of my life, I had a notion of the kind:
在我生活中最悲惨的时期,我就有这样的想法: —

it haunted me on my return to the neighbourhood last summer;
去年夏天我回到这个地方时它一直困扰着我。 —

but only her own assurance could make me admit the horrible idea again.
但只有她的保证才能让我再次接受这个可怕的想法。 —

And then, Linton would be nothing, nor Hindley, nor all the dreams that ever I dreamt.
那时,林顿将一无是处,辛德利也将一无是处,无论是我梦到的所有梦。 —

Two words would comprehend my future—death and hell:
两个词就能概括我的未来-死亡和地狱: —

existence, after losing her, would be hell.
失去她后的生活将会是地狱。然而, —

Yet I was a fool to fancy for a moment that she valued Edgar Linton’s attachment more than mine.
我傻傻地认为她对爱德加·林顿的感情比对我的感情更重要,真是个傻瓜。 —

If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn’t love as much in eighty years as I could in a day.
即使他用他微不足道的一生全力爱她,他也无法在八十年中像我一天那样去爱她。 —

And Catherine has a heart as deep as I have:
凯瑟琳与我一样有一颗深沉的心: —

the sea could be as readily contained in that horse-trough as her whole affection be monopolised by him.
大海可以被放入那个马槽,而她全部的爱却无法被林顿独占。 —

Tush! He is scarcely a degree dearer to her than her dog, or her horse.
嘿!对她来说,他和她的狗或马几乎没什么分别。 —

It is not in him to be loved like me:
爱他的能力不在我身上: —

how can she love in him what he has not?”
她如何爱上他身上根本不存在的东西呢?

“Catherine and Edgar are as fond of each other as any two people can be, ” cried Isabella, with sudden vivacity.
“凯瑟琳和埃德加彼此之间喜欢得像任何两个人一样亲密,”伊莎贝拉突然兴奋地说道。 —

“No one has a right to talk in that manner, and I won’t hear my brother depreciated in silence!”
“没有人有权利以那种方式说话,我不会默默听着贬低我的兄弟!”

“Your brother is wondrous fond of you too, isn’t he?” observed Heathcliff, scornfully.
“你的兄弟对你也是非常喜欢的,不是吗?”希斯克利夫蔑视地说道。 —

“He turns you adrift on the world with surprising alacrity.”
“他非常迅速地把你推向了世界上。”

“He is not aware of what I suffer, ” she replied. “I didn’t tell him that.”
“他不知道我在受苦,”她回答道,“我没有告诉他。”

“You have been telling him something, then:
“那你有给他写信吗? —

you have written, have you?”

“To say that I was married, I did write—you saw the note.”
“告诉他我结婚了,我确实写了——你看到了那张便条。”

“And nothing since?”
“之后没有了吗?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“My young lady is looking sadly the worse for her change of condition, ” I remarked.
“我的小姐看起来因为改变身份而变得悲伤,”我评论道。 —

“Somebody’s love comes short in her case, obviously; whose, I may guess;
“显然有人在她的情况下缺少了爱,我猜测应该是谁,但也许我不应该说出来。” —

but, perhaps, I shouldn’t say.”
但也许我不应该说出来。”

“I should guess it was her own,” said Heathcliff.
“我想这应该是她自己的选择, —

“She degenerates into a mere slut!
”希斯克利夫说。“她变得像个荡妇! —

She is tired of trying to please me uncommonly early.
她早早地厌倦了试图取悦我。 —

You’d hardly credit it, but the very morrow of our wedding she was weeping to go home.
你几乎无法相信,但就在我们结婚的第二天,她就开始哭着要回家。 —

However, she’ll suit this house so much the better for not being over nice, and I’ll take care she does not disgrace me by rambling abroad.”
不过,她不过是个粗俗的女人,住在这个房子里更合适,我会确保她不会因为到处闲逛而给我丢脸。”

“Well, sir,” returned I, “I hope you’ll consider that Mrs. Heathcliff is accustomed to be looked after and waited on;
“好吧,先生,”我回答,“我希望您考虑到希斯克利夫夫人习惯了有人照顾和伺候她; —

and that she has been brought up like an only daughter, whom every one was ready to serve.
并且她从小就像一个独生女儿一样被养大,每个人都愿意为她服务。 —

You must let her have a maid to keep things tidy about her, and you must treat her kindly.
你必须让她有一个女仆来整理东西,你必须善待她。 —

Whatever be your notion of Mr. Edgar, you cannot doubt that she has a capacity for strong attachments, or she wouldn’t have abandoned the elegancies, and comforts, and friends of her former home, to fix contentedly, in such a wilderness as this, with you.”
不管你对爱德加先生有什么看法,你不能怀疑她有着深厚的感情;否则她不会舍弃她以前的家庭的优雅、舒适和朋友,愿意安心地和你生活在这样一个荒野中。”

“She abandoned them under a delusion,” he answered;
“她抛弃他们是因为一种错觉, —

“picturing in me a hero of romance, and expecting unlimited indulgences from my chivalrous devotion.
”他回答道,“把我想象成是一个浪漫的英雄,并期待我无限的宠爱。 —

I can hardly regard her in the light of a rational creature, so obstinately has she persisted in forming a fabulous notion of my character and acting on the false impressions she cherished.
她一直执迷不悟,我几乎无法将她看作一个理智的人,她执意对我的性格形成了虚构的观念,并根据这些错误的印象来行动。 —

But, at last, I think she begins to know me:
但是,最后,我想她开始认识到我了: —

I don’t perceive the silly smiles and grimaces that provoked me at first;
我没有看到那令我生气的傻笑和怪脸; —

and the senseless incapability of discerning that I was in earnest when I gave her my opinion of her infatuation and herself.
她无法理解,当我对她的迷恋和她自己的看法发表意见时,我是认真的。 —

It was a marvellous effort of perspicacity to discover that I did not love her.
她竟然能够惊人地发现我并不爱她。我曾经相信, —

I believed, at one time, no lessons could teach her that!
没有任何教训可以教她明白这一点! —

And yet it is poorly learnt; for this morning she announced, as a piece of appalling intelligence, that I had actually succeeded in making her hate me!
然而,她的学习成果还很差;因为今天早上她宣布,令人震惊的是,我竟然成功地让她恨我了!” —

A positive labour of Hercules, I assure you!
我向你保证,这是赫尔克勒斯的一项积极劳动! —

If it be achieved, I have cause to return thanks.
如果它能实现,我有理由表示感谢。 —

Can I trust your assertion, Isabella?
伊莎贝拉,我能相信你的断言吗? —

Are you sure you hate me? If I let you alone for half a day, won’t you come sighing and wheedling to me again?
你确定你讨厌我吗?如果我让你一个半天独自待着,你不会又来叹气、软磨硬泡地找我吗? —

I daresay she would rather I had seemed all tenderness before you:
我敢说她宁愿我在你面前显得温柔, —

it wounds her vanity to have the truth exposed.
把真相暴露出来伤了她的虚荣心。 —

But I don’t care who knows that the passion was wholly on one side:
但我并不在乎谁知道激情完全只存在一方: —

and I never told her a lie about it.
而且我从未对她说过谎。 —

She cannot accuse me of showing one bit of deceitful softness.
她不能指责我有一丝虚伪的温柔。 —

The first thing she saw me do, on coming out of the Grange, was to hang up her little dog;
她从茅舍出来之后看到我做的第一件事就是把她的小狗吊起来; —

and when she pleaded for it, the first words I uttered were a wish that I had the hanging of every being belonging to her, except one:
当她为此辩解时,我说出的第一句话是希望能悬挂她所有亲近的人,除了一个: —

possibly she took that exception for herself.
也许她把这个例外当作了她自己。 —

But no brutality disgusted her:
但没有任何残忍使她厌恶: —

I suppose she has an innate admiration of it, if only her precious person were secure from injury!
我想她对此是有与生俱来的欣赏,只要她可爱的人物不受伤害! —

Now, was it not the depth of absurdity—of genuine idiocy, for that pitiful, slavish, mean-minded brach to dream that I could love her?
现在,那可笑到极点、愚蠢到无法挽救的机会居然充满了希望,她竟然妄想我会爱她? —

Tell your master, Nelly, that I never, in all my life, met with such an abject thing as she is.
告诉你的主人,奈莉,我一生中从未遇见过如此卑微的人。 —

She even disgraces the name of Linton;
她甚至玷污了林顿这个名字。 —

and I’ve sometimes relented, from pure lack of invention, in my experiments on what she could endure, and still creep shamefully cringing back!
有时候,纯粹是因为缺乏创新思维,我有些后悔在折磨她的实验中,她居然还能如此卑劣地回归! —

But tell him, also, to set his fraternal and magisterial heart at ease:
但是也告诉他,他可以放心, —

that I keep strictly within the limits of the law.
我严守法律的限度。 —

I have avoided, up to this period, giving her the slightest right to claim a separation; and, what’s more, she’d thank nobody for dividing us.
直到现在,我一直避免给她任何离婚的借口;而且更重要的是,她也不会感激任何人将我们分开。 —

If she desired to go, she might:
如果她想走,她可以。 —

the nuisance of her presence outweighs the gratification to be derived from tormenting her!”
她的存在只是带来了无尽的麻烦,将她折磨已无任何满足感!

“Mr. Heathcliff,” said I, “this is the talk of a madman; your wife, most likely, is convinced you are mad;
“希斯克利夫先生,”我说,“你说的话像个疯子;你的妻子很可能也相信你是疯了。” —

and, for that reason, she has borne with you hitherto:
因此,她迄今为止一直忍耐着你: —

but now that you say she may go, she’ll doubtless avail herself of the permission.
但现在你说她可以走,她肯定会利用这个许可。 —

You are not so bewitched, ma’am, are you, as to remain with him of your own accord?”
夫人,您不至于被他迷住,自愿留在他身边,是吗?

“Take care, Ellen!” answered Isabella, her eyes sparkling irefully;
小心,艾伦!以撒贝拉愤怒地闪烁着眼睛回答; —

there was no misdoubting by their expression the full success of her partner’s endeavours to make himself detested.
通过他们的表情,不难察觉她的伴侣努力让自己被人憎恶的完全成功。 —

“Don’t put faith in a single word he speaks.
不要相信他说的任何话。他是个撒谎的恶魔! —

He’s a lying fiend! a monster, and not a human being!
是个怪物,而不是人类! —

I’ve been told I might leave him before;
我曾经被告知我可以离开他; —

and I’ve made the attempt, but I dare not repeat it! Only, Ellen, promise you’ll not mention a syllable of his infamous conversation to my brother or Catherine.
并且我尝试过,但我不敢重复!只要求你,艾伦,保证你不会对我哥哥或凯瑟琳提及他那可耻的对话。 —

Whatever he may pretend, he wishes to provoke Edgar to desperation:
无论他假装怎样,他希望激怒埃德加到绝望的地步: —

he says he has married me on purpose to obtain power over him;
他说他为了获取对他的权力而与我结婚; —

and he sha’n’t obtain it—I’ll die first!
而他不会得到它 - 我宁愿死!我只希望, —

I just hope, I pray, that he may forget his diabolical prudence and kill me!
我祈祷,他可以忘记他邪恶的谨慎,杀了我! —

The single pleasure I can imagine is to die, or to see him dead!”
我能想象的唯一的快乐是死亡,或者看到他死了!

“There—that will do for the present!” said Heathcliff.
“好,暂时就这样!”希斯克利夫说道。 —

“If you are called upon in a court of law, you’ll remember her language, Nelly!
“如果你在法庭上被传唤,你会记得她的话,奈莉! —

And take a good look at that countenance:
看看那张脸,她接近了我满意的地步。 —

she’s near the point which would suit me. No;
不, —

you’re not fit to be your own guardian, Isabella, now;
你现在不适合当自己的监护人,伊莎贝拉; —

and I, being your legal protector, must retain you in my custody, however distasteful the obligation may be.
而作为你的法定监护人,无论这个义务有多么令人讨厌,我必须将你保管在我的监护之下。 —

Go upstairs;
上楼去; —

I have something to say to Ellen Dean in private.
我有些事情要私底下跟艾伦·迪恩说。不是这个路:上楼,告诉你了! —

That’s not the way:
为什么,这是上楼的路,孩子! —

upstairs, I tell you! Why, this is the road upstairs, child!”
他抓住她并把她推出了房间,然后自言自语地说:“我没有怜悯!我没有怜悯!

He seized, and thrust her from the room;
虫子扭动得越剧烈, —

and returned muttering—“I have no pity!
我就越渴望挤压它们的内脏!这是一种道德上的困境; —

I have no pity!

The more the worms writhe, the more I yearn to crush out their entrails!
无论他们如何挣扎,我都不会动心! —

It is a moral teething;
我不会动心! —

and I grind with greater energy in proportion to the increase of pain.”
“随着疼痛的增加,我变得更加用力地磨碎。”

“Do you understand what the word pity means?” I said, hastening to resume my bonnet.
“你明白‘怜悯’这个词是什么意思吗?”我匆忙戴上帽子。 —

“Did you ever feel a touch of it in your life?”
“你有没有在你的生活中感受过一丝怜悯的感觉?”

“Put that down!” he interrupted, perceiving my intention to depart.
“放下那个!”他打断我打算离开的意图。 —

“You are not going yet.
“你现在不能走。来这里, —

Come here now, Nelly:
Nelly: —

I must either persuade or compel you to aid me in fulfilling my determination to see Catherine, and that without delay.
“我要么说服要么强迫你帮助我实现我见到Catherine的决心,而且要立刻行动。” —

I swear that I meditate no harm:
“我发誓我没有任何危险的打算: —

I don’t desire to cause any disturbance, or to exasperate or insult Mr. Linton;
我不想引起任何骚动,激怒或侮辱Linton先生; —

I only wish to hear from herself how she is, and why she has been ill;
“我只想亲自听她告诉我她的病情,并问问我是否可以帮上什么忙。 —

and to ask if anything that I could do would be of use to her.

Last night I was in the Grange garden six hours, and I’ll return there to-night;
“昨晚我在庄园花园待了六个小时,今晚我会再去; —

and every night I’ll haunt the place, and every day, till I find an opportunity of entering.
“每天晚上我都会出现在那个地方,每天白天,直到找到进去的机会。” —

If Edgar Linton meets me, I shall not hesitate to knock him down, and give him enough to insure his quiescence while I stay.
如果埃德加·林顿遇到我,我不会犹豫地把他打倒,给他足够的教训,确保他在我逗留期间保持安静。 —

If his servants oppose me, I shall threaten them off with these pistols.
如果他的仆人阻挡我,我将用这两支手枪威胁他们离开。 —

But wouldn’t it be better to prevent my coming in contact with them, or their master? And you could do it so easily.
但是,防止我与他们或他们的主人接触,难道不是更好吗?而且你可以轻易做到这一点。 —

I’d warn you when I came, and then you might let me in unobserved, as soon as she was alone, and watch till I departed, your conscience quite calm:
当我到达时,我会提前警告你,然后你可以在她一个人时不被察觉地让我进来,然后密切注视直到我离开,你的良心完全安宁。 —

you would be hindering mischief.”
这样做会阻止恶事发生。”

I protested against playing that treacherous part in my employer’s house:
我坚决反对在雇主的房子里扮演这种背叛的角色。 —

and, besides, I urged the cruelty and selfishness of his destroying Mrs. Linton’s tranquillity for his satisfaction.
而且,此外,我强调了他为了满足自己的欲望而破坏了林顿夫人的安宁所带来的残酷和自私。 —

“The commonest occurrence startles her painfully, ” I said. “She’s all nerves, and she couldn’t bear the surprise, I’m positive.
“最普通的事情都会让她痛苦不堪,”我说。“她全身都是神经,我敢肯定她无法承受这个惊喜。 —

Don’t persist, sir! or else I shall be obliged to inform my master of your designs;
不要坚持下去,先生!否则我将不得不告诉我的主人你的计划。 —

and he’ll take measures to secure his house and its inmates from any such unwarrantable intrusions!”
他会采取措施保护自己的房子和住在其中的人不受任何不合理的侵入!

“In that case I’ll take measures to secure you, woman!
“既然如此,我会采取措施保护你, —

” exclaimed Heathcliff;
女人! —

“you shall not leave Wuthering Heights till to-morrow morning.
你在明天早上以前不能离开乌瑟林高地。 —

It is a foolish story to assert that Catherine could not bear to see me;
断言凯瑟琳见不得我是愚蠢的故事; —

and as to surprising her, I don’t desire it:
至于惊吓她,我并不渴望: —

you must prepare her—ask her if I may come.
你必须准备好她——问她是否允许我来。 —

You say she never mentions my name, and that I am never mentioned to her.
你说她从未提到我的名字,我从不被提及。 —

To whom should she mention me if I am a forbidden topic in the house?
如果我在这个房子里是一个禁忌的话题,她会向谁提到我呢? —

She thinks you are all spies for her husband.
她认为你们都是她丈夫的间谍。 —

Oh, I’ve no doubt she’s in hell among you!
哦,我毫不怀疑她在你们中间是堕入地狱! —

I guess by her silence, as much as anything, what she feels.
我从她的沉默中猜到了她的感受。 —

You say she is often restless, and anxious-looking:
你说她经常焦虑不安: —

is that a proof of tranquillity?
这能证明她是平静的吗? —

You talk of her mind being unsettled.
你们说她的心思不定。 —

How the devil could it be otherwise in her frightful isolation?
她处在如此可怕的孤立中,难道还能有其他可能吗? —

And that insipid, paltry creature attending her from duty and humanity!
而那个愚蠢、卑微的家仆只是因为”职责”和”人性”在她身边罢了! —

From pity and charity!
凭借”怜悯”与”慈善”! —

He might as well plant an oak in a flower-pot, and expect it to thrive, as imagine he can restore her to vigour in the soil of his shallow cares!
就像在花盆里种植一颗橡树,指望它能茁壮成长一样,他以为自己能在肤浅的关心中恢复她的活力! —

Let us settle it at once: will you stay here, and am I to fight my way to Catherine over Linton and his footman?
让我们立即决定:你会留在这里吗?我要不惜一切代价去拼搏,亲自去找凯瑟琳,不顾林顿和他的仆人! —

Or will you be my friend, as you have been hitherto, and do what I request? Decide!
还是你会像以前一样做我的朋友,按照我的要求去做?决定吧! —

because there is no reason for my lingering another minute, if you persist in your stubborn ill-nature!”
因为如果你坚持你的顽固性格,我再多停留一分钟也没有理由!

Well, Mr. Lockwood, I argued and complained, and flatly refused him fifty times;
好吧,洛克伍德先生,我争论、抱怨,断然拒绝了他五十次, —

but in the long run he forced me to an agreement.
但终究他逼迫我达成了协议。 —

I engaged to carry a letter from him to my mistress;
我答应替他给我的女主人送信; —

and should she consent, I promised to let him have intelligence of Linton’s next absence from home, when he might come, and get in as he was able:
如果她同意,我承诺在林顿下次离家时通知他,他可以趁机进来。 —

I wouldn’t be there, and my fellow-servants should be equally out of the way.
我不会在那里,而且我的伙伴们也会同样离开。这是对还是错? —

Was it right or wrong? I fear it was wrong, though expedient.
我害怕是错的,尽管是权宜之计。 —

I thought I prevented another explosion by my compliance;
我以为通过遵从可以防止另一次爆炸; —

and I thought, too, it might create a favourable crisis in Catherine’s mental illness:
我也认为,这可能会对凯瑟琳的精神病产生积极的危机。 —

and then I remembered Mr. Edgar’s stern rebuke of my carrying tales;
然后我想起爱德格先生对我传播传闻的严厉谴责; —

and I tried to smooth away all disquietude on the subject, by affirming, with frequent iteration, that that betrayal of trust, if it merited so harsh an appellation, should be the last.
我试图通过反复断言,称这种背信弃义,如果它应该被如此严厉地称为背信弃义的话,那就应该是最后一次。 —

Notwithstanding, my journey homeward was sadder than my journey thither;
尽管如此,我回家的旅程比去那里的时候更悲伤; —

and many misgivings I had, ere I could prevail on myself to put the missive into Mrs. Linton’s hand.
在我说服自己将书信交给林顿夫人之前,我有很多疑虑。

But here is Kenneth; I’ll go down, and tell him how much better you are.
但现在有肯尼思在这里;我会下去告诉他你好多了。 —

My history is dree, as we say, and will serve to while away another morning.
我的经历是“dree”,就像我们所说的,会用来度过另一个早晨。


* * * * *

Dree, and dreary! I reflected as the good woman descended to receive the doctor:
德丽思,那真是无聊而沉闷的!看着这个善良的女人迎接医生, —

and not exactly of the kind which I should have chosen to amuse me.
我反思着,这并不是我选择来娱乐自己的那种类型。 —

But never mind! I’ll extract wholesome medicines from Mrs. Dean’s bitter herbs;
但没关系!我将从迪安夫人的苦草中提取出有益的药物; —

and firstly, let me beware of the fascination that lurks in Catherine Heathcliff’s brilliant eyes.
首先,让我警惕凯瑟琳·希斯克利夫闪亮的眼睛里潜伏的魅力。 —

I should be in a curious taking if I surrendered my heart to that young person, and the daughter turned out a second edition of the mother.
如果我将心交给那个年轻人,并且她变成了母亲的翻版,那我将会陷入一种好奇的状态。