That Friday made the last of our fine days for a month.
那个星期五是我们一个月来最好的天气。傍晚天气突变:风从南转向东北, —

In the evening the weather broke:
带来了雨,然后是雨夹雪和雪。 —

the wind shifted from south to north-east, and brought rain first, and then sleet and snow.
第二天,人们几乎无法想象这已经是三个星期的夏天了:报春花和番红花被冬季的飘雪覆盖着; —

On the morrow one could hardly imagine that there had been three weeks of summer:
云雀不再歌唱,早春树木的嫩叶变黑。 —

the primroses and crocuses were hidden under wintry drifts;
那个日子无聊、寒冷、阴郁地悄然过去! —

the larks were silent, the young leaves of the early trees smitten and blackened.
我的主人躲在房间里, —

And dreary, and chill, and dismal, that morrow did creep over!
我把寂寞的客厅变成了一个儿童游乐室: —

My master kept his room; I took possession of the lonely parlour, converting it into a nursery:
我正在那里坐着,婴儿娃娃躺在我膝盖上哭闹; —

and there I was, sitting with the moaning doll of a child laid on my knee;
我一边摇晃着它,一边看着仍在飘落的雪花堆积在没有窗帘的窗户上,这时门开了,一个人气喘吁吁地笑着走进来! —

rocking it to and fro, and watching, meanwhile, the still driving flakes build up the uncurtained window, when the door opened, and some person entered, out of breath and laughing!
转自中文原版 —

My anger was greater than my astonishment for a minute.
我的愤怒超过了我一分钟内的惊讶。 —

I supposed it one of the maids, and I cried—“Have done!
我以为是其中一个女仆,于是喊道:“住手! —

How dare you show your giddiness here?
你怎敢在这儿摆架子? —

What would Mr. Linton say if he heard you?”
如果林顿先生听见你这样会说什么?

“Excuse me!” answered a familiar voice;
声音传来回答说:“对不起! —

“but I know Edgar is in bed, and I cannot stop myself.”
”我知道埃德加已经上床了,我自己也无法停下来。

With that the speaker came forward to the fire, panting and holding her hand to her side.
说话的人一边喘着气,一边捂着胸口,向火炉走了过来。

“I have run the whole way from Wuthering Heights!
我一路从呼啸山庄跑过来! —

” she continued, after a pause;
”她停了一会儿后又说: —

“except where I’ve flown.
“除了在空中飞行的那段路。” —

I couldn’t count the number of falls I’ve had. Oh, I’m aching all over! Don’t be alarmed!
我已经摔倒过很多次了,我浑身都酸痛!不要担心! —

There shall be an explanation as soon as I can give it;
只要你能好心出去让人把马车送到吉默顿, —

only just have the goodness to step out and order the carriage to take me on to Gimmerton, and tell a servant to seek up a few clothes in my wardrobe.”
然后叫个仆人去我衣橱找几件衣服,我就会尽快解释一切。

The intruder was Mrs. Heathcliff.
闯入者正是希斯克利夫夫人。 —

She certainly seemed in no laughing predicament:
她看起来确实不是一个好笑的局面: —

her hair streamed on her shoulders, dripping with snow and water;
她的头发湿透了,滴着雪和水向下垂。 —

she was dressed in the girlish dress she commonly wore, befitting her age more than her position:
她穿着她常穿的少女裙,更适合她的年龄而非她的身份: —

a low frock with short sleeves, and nothing on either head or neck.
一件低腰无袖的裙子,头和颈部都没有任何东西。 —

The frock was of light silk, and clung to her with wet, and her feet were protected merely by thin slippers;
这件裙子是轻质丝绸做的,湿透了紧贴在她身上,她的脚只穿着薄拖鞋; —

add to this a deep cut under one ear, which only the cold prevented from bleeding profusely, a white face scratched and bruised, and a frame hardly able to support itself through fatigue;
再加上耳下深深的伤口,只有寒冷才能阻止它大量出血,一张被划伤和淤青的苍白脸,一个几乎因疲劳而支撑不住的身躯; —

and you may fancy my first fright was not much allayed when I had had leisure to examine her.
当我有时间仔细检查她时,你可以想象我的第一次惊恐并没有减轻多少。

“My dear young lady,” I exclaimed, “I’ll stir nowhere, and hear nothing, till you have removed every article of your clothes, and put on dry things;
“亲爱的小姐,”我喊道,“在你脱掉衣服换上干衣服之前,我不会走任何地方或听任何事情; —

and certainly you shall not go to Gimmerton to-night, so it is needless to order the carriage.”
当然你不会今晚去吉默顿,所以没必要叫车。”

“Certainly I shall,” she said; “walking or riding:
“当然我会去,”她说,“无论是步行还是骑马: —

yet I’ve no objection to dress myself decently.
不过我并不排斥体面地打扮一下。 —

And—ah, see how it flows down my neck now!
“看,它现在顺着我的脖子流下来了! —

The fire does make it smart.”
火使它刺疼。”

She insisted on my fulfilling her directions, before she would let me touch her;
她坚持我按照她的指示去做,才让我碰她; —

and not till after the coachman had been instructed to get ready, and a maid set to pack up some necessary attire, did I obtain her consent for binding the wound and helping to change her garments.
直到教练被告知准备好了,一个女仆被安排打包一些必要的衣物,我才得到她同意包扎伤口和帮助更换衣服。

“Now, Ellen,” she said, when my task was finished and she was seated in an easy-chair on the hearth, with a cup of tea before her, “you sit down opposite me, and put poor Catherine’s baby away:
“现在,艾伦,”她说,当我完成任务,她坐在壁炉旁的一把舒服椅子上,面前放着一杯茶,“你坐在我对面,把凯瑟琳的孩子拿走吧: —

I don’t like to see it!
我不喜欢看到它! —

You mustn’t think I care little for Catherine, because I behaved so foolishly on entering:
你不要以为我对凯瑟琳不在乎,因为我进来时行为愚蠢: —

I’ve cried, too, bitterly—yes, more than any one else has reason to cry.
我也哭了,非常伤心,比任何人都有理由哭。 —

We parted unreconciled, you remember, and I sha’n’t forgive myself.
我们分别的时候没有和解,你记得,我永远都不会原谅自己。 —

But, for all that, I was not going to sympathise with him—the brute beast!
但是,尽管如此,我不打算同情他——那个畜生!哦, —

Oh, give me the poker! This is the last thing of his I have about me:
给我铁钩!这是我身边他的最后一件东西。 —

” she slipped the gold ring from her third finger, and threw it on the floor.
“她从第三根手指上摘下金戒指,扔到地上。 —

“I’ll smash it!
“我要把它摔碎! —

” she continued, striking it with childish spite, “and then I’ll burn it!
“她继续用幼稚的恶意打击它,“然后我要把它烧掉! —

” and she took and dropped the misused article among the coals.
”她把被滥用的物品拿起来,扔在炭火中。 —

“There! he shall buy another, if he gets me back again.
“看呐!要是他想要我回去,他可以再买一个。 —

He’d be capable of coming to seek me, to tease Edgar. I dare not stay, lest that notion should possess his wicked head!
他可能会来找我,去刺激爱德加。我不能留下来,唯恐这个念头萦绕他邪恶的脑海! —

And besides, Edgar has not been kind, has he?
况且,爱德加没有待我好,对吧? —

And I won’t come suing for his assistance;
我不会去求他的帮助; —

nor will I bring him into more trouble.
也不会让他陷入更多的麻烦。 —

Necessity compelled me to seek shelter here; though, if I had not learned he was out of the way, I’d have halted at the kitchen, washed my face, warmed myself, got you to bring what I wanted, and departed again to anywhere out of the reach of my accursed—of that incarnate goblin!
必需性迫使我在这里寻找庇护;虽然,如果我没有得知他不在的话,我本可以停留在厨房,洗脸,取暖,让你帮我带来我需要的东西,然后再离开,到任何远离那个该死的—那个具体化的妖精的地方! —

Ah, he was in such a fury! If he had caught me!
啊,他当时真的很愤怒!要是他逮着我该有多好! —

It’s a pity Earnshaw is not his match in strength:
真可惜恩肖没有他那样的力量。” —

I wouldn’t have run till I’d seen him all but demolished, had Hindley been able to do it!”
如果希尔德利能够做到,我在看到他被彻底摧毁之前都不会逃跑!”

“Well, don’t talk so fast, Miss!” I interrupted;
“嗯,别说得这么快,小姐!” 我打断道, —

“you’ll disorder the handkerchief I have tied round your face, and make the cut bleed again. Drink your tea, and take breath, and give over laughing:
“你会弄乱我用手帕绑在你脸上的绷带,让伤口再次出血。喝点茶,喘口气,别笑了: —

laughter is sadly out of place under this roof, and in your condition!”
在这个屋檐下,你的情况下大笑是很不合适的!”

“An undeniable truth,” she replied.
“无可否认的事实,”她回答道。“听听那个孩子!它一直在哭, —

“Listen to that child!
把它送出去不让我听见一个小时;我不能再留在这里了。” —

It maintains a constant wail—send it out of my hearing for an hour;
我按响了门铃,交给一个仆人照顾了那个孩子;然后我询问她为什么要以这种不太可能的方式逃离乌瑟林高地,以及她打算去哪里,因为她拒绝和我们待在一起。 —

I sha’n’t stay any longer.”
“我应该留下来,我也想留下来,”她回答道,“给爱德加打气,照顾孩子,这是两个原因,还因为格兰奇才是我的真正家园。

I rang the bell, and committed it to a servant’s care;
我把孩子交给一个仆人照看, —

and then I inquired what had urged her to escape from Wuthering Heights in such an unlikely plight, and where she meant to go, as she refused remaining with us.
然后我问她为什么以那种不太可能的方式从乌瑟林高地逃走,以及她打算去哪里,因为她拒绝和我们待在一起。

“I ought, and I wished to remain,” answered she, “to cheer Edgar and take care of the baby, for two things, and because the Grange is my right home.
“我应该,也愿意留下来,”她回答道,“给爱德加打气,照顾孩子,这是两个原因,还因为格兰奇才是我真正的家。” —

But I tell you he wouldn’t let me!
但是我告诉你,他不会让我这样做! —

Do you think he could bear to see me grow fat and merry—could bear to think that we were tranquil, and not resolve on poisoning our comfort?
你觉得他能忍受看到我变胖和开心,能忍受我们过着安逸的生活而不想方设法破坏我们的舒适吗? —

Now, I have the satisfaction of being sure that he detests me, to the point of its annoying him seriously to have me within ear-shot or eyesight:
现在,我很满意地知道他讨厌我,以至于我的存在会严重地惹恼他,甚至在他能听见或看见我时也是如此。 —

I notice, when I enter his presence, the muscles of his countenance are involuntarily distorted into an expression of hatred;
我注意到,当我走进他的面前时,他的面部肌肉会自动扭曲成一种憎恨的表情; —

partly arising from his knowledge of the good causes I have to feel that sentiment for him, and partly from original aversion.
这部分是因为他知道我对他有很多好理由产生这种感情,部分是因为他本来就厌恶我。 —

It is strong enough to make me feel pretty certain that he would not chase me over England, supposing I contrived a clear escape;
这种厌恶已经足够强烈,使我相信他不会追捕我,即使我设法逃脱; —

and therefore I must get quite away.
因此我必须彻底离开。 —

I’ve recovered from my first desire to be killed by him:
我已经从最初想让他杀了我这个念头中恢复过来: —

I’d rather he’d kill himself!
我宁愿他自杀! —

He has extinguished my love effectually, and so I’m at my ease.
他已经完全扑灭了我的爱,所以我感到自在。 —

I can recollect yet how I loved him;
我还记得我曾经多么爱他; —

and can dimly imagine that I could still be loving him, if—no, no!
我甚至可以模糊地想像,如果……不,不! —

Even if he had doted on me, the devilish nature would have revealed its existence somehow.
即使他对我痴迷,邪恶的本性总会以某种方式显露出来。 —

Catherine had an awfully perverted taste to esteem him so dearly, knowing him so well. Monster!
凯瑟琳对他如此珍视,了解他的底细,她的品味真是病态!怪兽! —

would that he could be blotted out of creation, and out of my memory!”
但愿他能从创造中抹去,从我的记忆中抹去!

“Hush, hush! He’s a human being,” I said.
“嘘,嘘!他是个人类,”我说道。 —

“Be more charitable: there are worse men than he is yet!”
“要更加宽容些:比他更坏的人还有呢!”

“He’s not a human being,” she retorted;
“他不是人类,”她反驳道。 —

“and he has no claim on my charity.
“他对我的宽容没有权利。 —

I gave him my heart, and he took and pinched it to death, and flung it back to me.
我把我的心给了他,他却捏死了它,然后扔回来给我。 —

People feel with their hearts, Ellen:
人们用心去感受,艾伦: —

and since he has destroyed mine, I have not power to feel for him:
既然他摧毁了我的心,我已经无法为他感受了: —

and I would not, though he groaned from this to his dying day, and wept tears of blood for Catherine! No, indeed, indeed, I wouldn’t!
即使他从今天起一直到临终,呻吟并流血的眼泪为凯瑟琳哭泣!不,我真的,真的不会! —

” And here Isabella began to cry; but, immediately dashing the water from her lashes, she recommenced.
“这时伊莎贝拉开始哭泣,但立刻擦干了眼泪,又继续说道。 —

“You asked, what has driven me to flight at last?
“你问我是什么驱使我最终选择逃离? —

I was compelled to attempt it, because I had succeeded in rousing his rage a pitch above his malignity.
我被迫尝试这一行动,是因为我成功地激起了他的愤怒,使其高于他的恶意。 —

Pulling out the nerves with red hot pincers requires more coolness than knocking on the head.
用红热的镊子拔出神经需要更多的冷静,比直接击打头部更加可怕。 —

He was worked up to forget the fiendish prudence he boasted of, and proceeded to murderous violence.
他被激怒到忘记他所炫耀的恶毒谋略,并采取了凶残的暴力行为。 —

I experienced pleasure in being able to exasperate him:
我能激怒他感到快乐: —

the sense of pleasure woke my instinct of self-preservation, so I fairly broke free;
这种快乐唤醒了我的自我保护本能,因此我断然逃脱了; —

and if ever I come into his hands again he is welcome to a signal revenge.
如果我再次落入他手中,他可以尽情报复。

“Yesterday, you know, Mr. Earnshaw should have been at the funeral.
“昨天,你知道,欧尔沃先生本应参加葬礼。他为此保持了一定的冷静: —

He kept himself sober for the purpose—tolerably sober:
从六点时清醒到十二点醉醺醺地起床。 —

not going to bed mad at six o’clock and getting up drunk at twelve.
还没有六点就疯狂地上床睡觉,十二点才醒酒。” —

Consequently, he rose, in suicidal low spirits, as fit for the church as for a dance;
因此,他情绪低落得到极致,无论是去教堂还是去跳舞,他都感到不适; —

and instead, he sat down by the fire and swallowed gin or brandy by tumblerfuls.
相反,他坐在火炉旁边,一口气喝下一杯又一杯的金酒或白兰地。

“Heathcliff—I shudder to name him!
“希斯克利夫──只是提到他我就感到恐惧! —

has been a stranger in the house from last Sunday till to-day.
他从上个星期日到今天一直是个陌生人。 —

Whether the angels have fed him, or his kin beneath, I cannot tell; but he has not eaten a meal with us for nearly a week.
无论是天使还是地下的亲属为他提供食物,我说不清楚;但他已经近一个星期没有和我们一起进餐了。 —

He has just come home at dawn, and gone upstairs to his chamber;
他刚刚黎明时分回到家,上楼到他自己的房间; —

locking himself in—as if anybody dreamt of coveting his company!
把自己锁在里面,仿佛有人会想争夺和他在一起一样! —

There he has continued, praying like a Methodist:
他在那里继续祈祷,像个卫理公会教徒一样: —

only the deity he implored is senseless dust and ashes;
只不过他所祈祷的神是无感的尘土和灰烬; —

and God, when addressed, was curiously confounded with his own black father!
当他呼唤上帝的时候,上帝奇怪地和他自己那个黑皮父亲混淆在一起了! —

After concluding these precious orisons—and they lasted generally till he grew hoarse and his voice was strangled in his throat—he would be off again;
完成这些珍贵的祷告之后──通常要祈祷到他变得嘶哑,声音被喉咙憋住──他又会重新离开; —

always straight down to the Grange!
总是径直去Grange! —

I wonder Edgar did not send for a constable, and give him into custody!
我不明白埃德加为什么不派人去抓他,并把他送进监狱! —

For me, grieved as I was about Catherine, it was impossible to avoid regarding this season of deliverance from degrading oppression as a holiday.
对我来说,我虽然对凯瑟琳感到悲伤,但不可避免地将这个摆脱了屈辱压迫的季节视为一个假期。

“I recovered spirits sufficient to hear Joseph’s eternal lectures without weeping, and to move up and down the house less with the foot of a frightened thief than formerly.
我恢复了足够的精神,能够听约瑟夫永无止境的讲课而不流泪,也能在房子里来回走动时不像以前那样像一个受惊的小偷。 —

You wouldn’t think that I should cry at anything Joseph could say;
你可能不会想到我会对约瑟夫说的任何话哭泣, —

but he and Hareton are detestable companions.
但他和海尔顿是可憎的伙伴。 —

I’d rather sit with Hindley, and hear his awful talk, than with ‘t’ little maister’ and his staunch supporter, that odious old man!
与‘丁利’坐在一起听他可怕的话,我都宁愿不与‘小主人’和他坚定的支持者,那个可憎的老人在一起! —

When Heathcliff is in, I’m often obliged to seek the kitchen and their society, or starve among the damp uninhabited chambers;
当希斯克利夫出现时,我经常不得不去厨房和他们在一起,或者饿死在潮湿的未被居住的房间中; —

when he is not, as was the case this week, I establish a table and chair at one corner of the house fire, and never mind how Mr. Earnshaw may occupy himself;
当他不在的时候,就像本周的情况一样,我在房间的一个角落里摆放一张桌子和一把椅子,无论Earnshaw先生忙着什么,我都不在意; —

and he does not interfere with my arrangements.
他现在比过去安静多了, —

He is quieter now than he used to be, if no one provokes him:
如果没有人惹他,他就不会干涉我的安排。 —

more sullen and depressed, and less furious.
更加阴郁和沮丧,愤怒少了一些。 —

Joseph affirms he’s sure he’s an altered man:
约瑟夫肯定自己确信自己是一个改变了的人: —

that the Lord has touched his heart, and he is saved ‘so as by fire.
主触摸了他的心,他获得了拯救 “犹如经火。” —

’ I’m puzzled to detect signs of the favourable change:
我惊讶地发现不了积极的变化迹象: —

but it is not my business.
但这不是我的事情。

“Yester-evening I sat in my nook reading some old books till late on towards twelve.
昨天晚上,我坐在我在角落里读一些旧书,直到接近十二点。 —

It seemed so dismal to go upstairs, with the wild snow blowing outside, and my thoughts continually reverting to the kirkyard and the new-made grave!
在外面刮着狂风暴雪的情况下,上楼显得非常阴郁,我的思绪不断回到教堂墓地和新坟! —

I dared hardly lift my eyes from the page before me, that melancholy scene so instantly usurped its place.
我几乎不敢抬起眼睛离开我面前的书页,那个忧郁的场景会立刻填满我的视野。 —

Hindley sat opposite, his head leant on his hand;
汉德利坐在对面,头扶在手上, —

perhaps meditating on the same subject.
也许在思考同样的事情。 —

He had ceased drinking at a point below irrationality, and had neither stirred nor spoken during two or three hours.
他已经停止喝酒了,达到了一个不那么荒谬的程度,已经有两三个小时没有动过也没有说话了。 —

There was no sound through the house but the moaning wind, which shook the windows every now and then, the faint crackling of the coals, and the click of my snuffers as I removed at intervals the long wick of the candle.
整个房子里只有呻吟的风声,偶尔窗户也会被摇晃,爐炭发出微弱的噼啪声,我不时地用小夹子把蜡烛的长蜡芯剪去几段时,也能听到卡哧卡哧的声音。 —

Hareton and Joseph were probably fast asleep in bed.
Hareton和Joseph可能已经安稳地睡在床上了。 —

It was very, very sad:
这太,太悲伤了。 —

and while I read I sighed, for it seemed as if all joy had vanished from the world, never to be restored.
当我读着时,我叹息着,因为世界上似乎所有的快乐都已经消失了,再也无法恢复。

“The doleful silence was broken at length by the sound of the kitchen latch:
最后,厨房的门闩传来声音, —

Heathcliff had returned from his watch earlier than usual;
希斯克利夫比平常回来得早。 —

owing, I suppose, to the sudden storm.
我猜是因为突然的风暴。 —

That entrance was fastened, and we heard him coming round to get in by the other.
他从那个门进去了,我们听到他绕到另一边进来。 —

I rose with an irrepressible expression of what I felt on my lips, which induced my companion, who had been staring towards the door, to turn and look at me.
我站起来,嘴里无法抑制出了我内心的表达,这让一直盯着门看的伙伴转过头来看着我。

“‘I’ll keep him out five minutes, ’ he exclaimed. ‘You won’t object?’
“‘我会拖住他五分钟,’他大声说道,‘你不会反对吧?’

“‘No, you may keep him out the whole night for me, ’ I answered. ‘Do! put the key in the lock, and draw the bolts.’
“‘不,你可以整晚把他关在外面,为了我’,我回答道。‘好吧!把钥匙插入锁孔,拉上门栓。’

“Earnshaw accomplished this ere his guest reached the front;
“Earnshaw在客人来到前面之前完成了这个动作; —

he then came and brought his chair to the other side of my table, leaning over it, and searching in my eyes for a sympathy with the burning hate that gleamed from his:
他接着过来,把椅子放在我的桌子另一边,俯身在上面,从我的眼中搜索着与他燃烧的仇恨相一致的同情之情: —

as he both looked and felt like an assassin, he couldn’t exactly find that;
因为他看起来和感觉像个刺客,所以他无法完全找到这种同情; —

but he discovered enough to encourage him to speak.
但他发现足够让他开口。

“‘You, and I,’ he said, ‘have each a great debt to settle with the man out yonder!
“‘你和我,’他说,‘都欠那边的人一大笔债! —

If we were neither of us cowards, we might combine to discharge it.
如果我们都不是懦夫的话,我们可以联手偿还。 —

Are you as soft as your brother?
你和你的兄弟一样软弱吗? —

Are you willing to endure to the last, and not once attempt a repayment?’
你愿意忍耐到最后,不敢妄图还手吗?’

“‘I’m weary of enduring now,’ I replied;
“‘我已经厌倦了忍耐,’我回答说, —

‘and I’d be glad of a retaliation that wouldn’t recoil on myself;
‘我希望能够报复而不会反过来伤害我自己; —

but treachery and violence are spears pointed at both ends;
但是背叛和暴力是两面利刃; —

they wound those who resort to them worse than their enemies.’
它们会比敌人对其诉诸的人们造成更严重的伤害。

“‘Treachery and violence are a just return for treachery and violence!
“‘背叛和暴力是对背叛和暴力的公平回应!’亨德里喊道。 —

’ cried Hindley. ‘Mrs. Heathcliff, I’ll ask you to do nothing;
‘希斯克利夫夫人,我要求你不要做任何事; —

but sit still and be dumb. Tell me now, can you?
只要安静坐着,一言不发。告诉我, —

I’m sure you would have as much pleasure as I in witnessing the conclusion of the fiend’s existence;
现在你可以吗?我相信你和我一样会对看到这个恶魔灭亡的结局感到高兴; —

he’ll be your death unless you overreach him;
他会成为你的死神,除非你超越他, —

and he’ll be my ruin.
他也会成为我的毁灭。 —

Damn the hellish villain!
该死的深渊恶棍! —

He knocks at the door as if he were master here already!
他敲门的声音就像他已经是这里的主人一样! —

Promise to hold your tongue, and before that clock strikes—it wants three minutes of one—you’re a free woman!’
答应保持沉默,在那个时钟敲响之前——现在还有三分钟——你就是自由的女人!’

“He took the implements which I described to you in my letter from his breast, and would have turned down the candle.
他从怀里拿出我在信中描述给你的工具,准备拧掉蜡烛。 —

I snatched it away, however, and seized his arm.
然而,我迅速夺了过来,抓住了他的胳膊。

“‘I’ll not hold my tongue!’ I said;
‘我不会保持沉默!’我说; —

‘you mustn’t touch him.
‘你不能碰他。 —

Let the door remain shut, and be quiet!’
让门关上,安静点!’

“‘No! I’ve formed my resolution, and by God I’ll execute it!
“‘不!我已经下定了决心,老天爷我一定会实施! —

’ cried the desperate being.
’ 绝望的人大喊道。 —

‘I’ll do you a kindness in spite of yourself, and Hareton justice! And you needn’t trouble your head to screen me;
‘我会尽量给你做件好事,也给赫顿一个公正!而且你根本不必费心来保护我; —

Catherine is gone.
凯瑟琳已经走了。 —

Nobody alive would regret me, or be ashamed, though I cut my throat this minute—and it’s time to make an end!’
活着的人没有人会为我感到遗憾,或者觉得羞耻,即使我现在割了喉咙——是时候结束了!’

“I might as well have struggled with a bear, or reasoned with a lunatic.
“我与熊搏斗,或者与疯子争论没有任何意义。 —

The only resource left me was to run to a lattice and warn his intended victim of the fate which awaited him.
我仅剩的办法是跑到窗格前,警告那位注定要遭受厄运的人。

“‘You’d better seek shelter somewhere else to-night!
“‘你最好找个别处躲一晚! —

’ I exclaimed, in rather a triumphant tone.
’ 我以相当得意的口吻喊道。 —

‘Mr. Earnshaw has a mind to shoot you, if you persist in endeavouring to enter.’
‘伊恩肖先生想要射杀你,如果你坚持进来的话。

“‘You’d better open the door, you—’ he answered, addressing me by some elegant term that I don’t care to repeat.
“‘你最好开门,你这个-’ 他用一些我不愿意重复的优雅称呼我。

“‘I shall not meddle in the matter,’ I retorted again.
“‘我不会干涉这件事,’ 我又反驳道。 —

‘Come in and get shot, if you please. I’ve done my duty.’
‘你要是愿意进来被打死,那就进来吧。我尽了我的职责。’

“With that I shut the window and returned to my place by the fire;
“于是我关闭了窗户,回到火炉旁边坐下; —

having too small a stock of hypocrisy at my command to pretend any anxiety for the danger that menaced him.
我虽然掩饰不住对他所遭遇的危险的担心,但我心中的伪善感太少,无法假装出对他的关切。 —

Earnshaw swore passionately at me:
Earnshaw愤怒地对我咒骂: —

affirming that I loved the villain yet;
他断言我仍然爱着那个恶棍, —

and calling me all sorts of names for the base spirit I evinced.
并因为我表现出的卑鄙行为而称呼我各种恶名。 —

And I, in my secret heart (and conscience never reproached me), thought what a blessing it would be for him should Heathcliff put him out of misery;
而我在内心深处(良心从未谴责过我)却希望希斯克利夫能把他解脱出苦海,这对他来说将是多么幸福; —

and what a blessing for me should he send Heathcliff to his right abode!
而如果他能将希斯克利夫送回他应在的地方,对我来说又将是多么幸福! —

As I sat nursing these reflections, the casement behind me was banged on to the floor by a blow from the latter individual, and his black countenance looked blightingly through.
当我坐在那里沉思时,我身后的窗户被后者一拳砸到地上,他那黑漆漆的面容恶狠地透过窗户看着我。 —

The stanchions stood too close to suffer his shoulders to follow, and I smiled, exulting in my fancied security.
窗框离得太近,无法让他的肩膀通过,而我微笑着,沾沾自喜地觉得自己很安全。 —

His hair and clothes were whitened with snow, and his sharp cannibal teeth, revealed by cold and wrath, gleamed through the dark.
他的头发和衣服被雪染白,寒冷和愤怒让他那尖锐的食人牙齿在黑暗中闪烁。”

“‘Isabella, let me in, or I’ll make you repent!
“‘伊莎贝拉,让我进来,否则你会后悔的! —

’ he ‘girned,’ as Joseph calls it.
’就像约瑟夫说的那样,他‘扭曲’着脸说道。

“‘I cannot commit murder,’ I replied.
“‘我不能杀人,’我回答道。 —

‘Mr. Hindley stands sentinel with a knife and loaded pistol.’
‘Hindley先生站在那里,手里拿着刀和装着子弹的手枪。’

“‘Let me in by the kitchen door,’ he said.
“‘让我从厨房门进去,’他说。

“‘Hindley will be there before me,’ I answered:
“‘在我之前会有Hindley,’我回答道: —

‘and that’s a poor love of yours that cannot bear a shower of snow!
‘你那样的爱对雪花一点儿都不耐烦!’ —

We were left at peace in our beds as long as the summer moon shone, but the moment a blast of winter returns, you must run for shelter!
夏天的月亮照着,我们在床上安心睡觉,但是只要冬天的寒风回来,你就必须找地方避雨! —

Heathcliff, if I were you, I’d go stretch myself over her grave and die like a faithful dog.
希斯克利夫,如果我是你,我会躺在她的坟墓上,像一只忠诚的狗一样死去。 —

The world is surely not worth living in now, is it?
现在这个世界肯定不值得活下去,对吗? —

You had distinctly impressed on me the idea that Catherine was the whole joy of your life:
你明确告诉我,凯瑟琳是你生活中的全部快乐: —

I can’t imagine how you think of surviving her loss.’
我无法想象你如何能想到生活下去没有她。

“‘He’s there, is he?’ exclaimed my companion, rushing to the gap. ‘If I can get my arm out I can hit him!’
“‘他还在那儿,对吗?’我的同伴叫道,冲到缺口处。‘如果我能把手伸出去,我就能打到他!’

“I’m afraid, Ellen, you’ll set me down as really wicked;
“艾伦,我怕你会认为我真的很邪恶; —

but you don’t know all, so don’t judge.
但是你并不了解全部情况,所以请不要评判。 —

I wouldn’t have aided or abetted an attempt on even his life for anything.
我决不会为了任何东西而协助或教唆对他的生命进行谋杀。 —

Wish that he were dead, I must;
我必须承认我希望他已经死了; —

and therefore I was fearfully disappointed, and unnerved by terror for the consequences of my taunting speech, when he flung himself on Earnshaw’s weapon and wrenched it from his grasp.
所以当他抓住恩舍的武器并将其夺走时,我感到了极度的失望和恐惧,担心我那挑衅性的言论会带来的后果。

“The charge exploded, and the knife, in springing back, closed into its owner’s wrist.
“子弹爆炸了,刀子在回弹时贴紧了所有者的手腕。 —

Heathcliff pulled it away by main force, slitting up the flesh as it passed on, and thrust it dripping into his pocket.
希斯克利夫用尽全力将刀子抽出,不断切割着肉体,然后滴血地插入了口袋。 —

He then took a stone, struck down the division between two windows, and sprang in.
然后他拿起一块石头,打碎了两个窗户之间的隔板,跳了进去。 —

His adversary had fallen senseless with excessive pain and the flow of blood, that gushed from an artery or a large vein.
他的对手因过度的疼痛和温和而昏了过去,伤口处的血涌出来,可能是一根动脉或者一条大血管。 —

The ruffian kicked and trampled on him, and dashed his head repeatedly against the flags, holding me with one hand, meantime, to prevent me summoning Joseph.
那歹徒残忍地踹踏着他,一边将他的头反复摔在地板上,一边用一只手扭住我,防止我叫约瑟夫来帮忙。 —

He exerted preterhuman self-denial in abstaining from finishing him completely;
他以异于常人的自我克制,拒绝将他彻底打死; —

but getting out of breath, he finally desisted, and dragged the apparently inanimate body on to the settle.
但由于喘不过气来,他最终放弃了,将那个似乎没有生命的身体拖到座位上; —

There he tore off the sleeve of Earnshaw’s coat, and bound up the wound with brutal roughness;
他撕下恩肖的外套袖子,用残忍粗暴地包扎伤口; —

spitting and cursing during the operation as energetically as he had kicked before.
手术期间他像之前踢人一样恶狠狠地唾沫横飞并咒骂着。 —

Being at liberty, I lost no time in seeking the old servant;
我一有空就开始寻找那个老仆人; —

who, having gathered by degrees the purport of my hasty tale, hurried below, gasping, as he descended the steps two at once.
他一边气喘吁吁地下楼,一边逐渐听出了我匆忙讲述的故事的要点;

“‘What is ther to do, now? what is ther to do, now?’
“‘现在还有什么可做的?现在还有什么可做的?’

“‘There’s this to do,’ thundered Heathcliff, ‘that your master’s mad;
“‘有一件事要做,’希斯克利夫怒吼道,‘那就是你们的主人疯了; —

and should he last another month, I’ll have him to an asylum.
如果还能再坚持一个月,我就把他送进疯人院。 —

And how the devil did you come to fasten me out, you toothless hound? Don’t stand muttering and mumbling there.
你这个没有牙齿的狗,你是怎么把我关在外面的?别在那里嘀咕咕。” —

Come, I’m not going to nurse him. Wash that stuff away;
走吧,我不会照顾他。把那些东西洗掉吧; —

and mind the sparks of your candle—it is more than half brandy!’
还要小心蜡烛的火花——里面装了一大半白兰地!

“‘And so ye’ve been murthering on him?
“‘你们杀了他? —

’ exclaimed Joseph, lifting his hands and eyes in horror.
’约瑟夫惊恐地举起双手和双眼。 —

‘If iver I seed a seeght loike this! May the Lord—’
“我从来没见过这样的场面!主啊——”

“Heathcliff gave him a push on to his knees in the middle of the blood, and flung a towel to him;
赫斯克利夫用力把他推到鲜血中间的地上,并扔给他一条毛巾; —

but instead of proceeding to dry it up, he joined his hands and began a prayer, which excited my laughter from its odd phraseology.
可是他并没有开始擦拭鲜血,而是双手合十开始祈祷,因为他奇特的措辞让我忍不住笑了起来。 —

I was in the condition of mind to be shocked at nothing:
我当时的心情已经对任何事情都无所顾忌了: —

in fact, I was as reckless as some malefactors show themselves at the foot of the gallows.
实际上,我像一些行刑台下的重刑犯一样毫不顾忌。

“‘Oh, I forgot you,’ said the tyrant.
“‘哦,我忘了你,’暴君说道。 —

‘You shall do that. Down with you.
‘你来做这个。给我趴下。 —

And you conspire with him against me, do you, viper? There, that is work fit for you!’
你还与他一起阴谋陷害我,是吗,毒蛇?就该给你干这个!’

“He shook me till my teeth rattled, and pitched me beside Joseph, who steadily concluded his supplications, and then rose, vowing he would set off for the Grange directly.
“他把我摇得牙齿格格作响,然后把我丢在约瑟夫旁边,他沉着地结束了他的祷告,然后起身发誓他会立刻去Grange。” —

Mr. Linton was a magistrate, and though he had fifty wives dead, he should inquire into this.
“林顿先生是一位法官,尽管他有五十个已故的妻子,他会调查这件事。” —

He was so obstinate in his resolution, that Heathcliff deemed it expedient to compel from my lips a recapitulation of what had taken place;
“他对自己的决心如此顽固,以至于希斯克利夫认为有必要从我的嘴唇里强制把发生的事情复述一遍; —

standing over me, heaving with malevolence, as I reluctantly delivered the account in answer to his questions.
“他站在我身边,满腔恶意地喘着气,我不情愿地回答他的问题,勉强说出了事情经过。” —

It required a great deal of labour to satisfy the old man that Heathcliff was not the aggressor;
“很费力才使老人相信希斯克利夫不是攻击者; —

especially with my hardly-wrung replies.
特别是对于我吃力地回答的回应。” —

However, Mr. Earnshaw soon convinced him that he was alive still;
“然而,厄舍先生很快就说服他希斯克利夫还活着; —

Joseph hastened to administer a dose of spirits, and by their succour his master presently regained motion and consciousness.
“约瑟夫赶紧给他一剂烈酒,借助它们的帮助,他的主人很快恢复了行动和意识。” —

Heathcliff, aware that his opponent was ignorant of the treatment received while insensible, called him deliriously intoxicated;
希斯克利夫意识到对方对自己失去知觉期间受到的待遇一无所知,他疯狂地称对方为醉得昏迷不醒的人; —

and said he should not notice his atrocious conduct further, but advised him to get to bed.
并告诉他不要再去注意他那可怕的行为了,建议他去睡觉。 —

To my joy, he left us, after giving this judicious counsel, and Hindley stretched himself on the hearthstone.
令我高兴的是,在给出这个明智的建议后,他离开了我们,而亨德里就躺在炉边。 —

I departed to my own room, marvelling that I had escaped so easily.
我回到自己的房间,惊奇地发现自己竟轻易地脱身了。

“This morning, when I came down, about half an hour before noon, Mr. Earnshaw was sitting by the fire, deadly sick;
“今天早上,在中午前大约半小时,厄恩肖先生坐在火炉旁,病得要命; —

his evil genius, almost as gaunt and ghastly, leant against the chimney.
他的邪恶精灵几乎和他一样瘦削而可怕地倚在烟囱上。 —

Neither appeared inclined to dine, and, having waited till all was cold on the table, I commenced alone.
两人都似乎不想吃饭,我等到餐桌上的一切都冷了之后,开始孤零零地进餐。 —

Nothing hindered me from eating heartily, and I experienced a certain sense of satisfaction and superiority, as, at intervals, I cast a look towards my silent companions, and felt the comfort of a quiet conscience within me.
没有什么能阻止我从容地吃饱,我常常瞥一眼那两位安静的同伴,感到内心的安慰和优越感。 —

After I had done, I ventured on the unusual liberty of drawing near the fire, going round Earnshaw’s seat, and kneeling in the corner beside him.
我做完之后,我冒险接近火堆,绕过恩沙的座位,跪在他旁边的角落。

“Heathcliff did not glance my way, and I gazed up, and contemplated his features almost as confidently as if they had been turned to stone.
“希思克里夫没有看我一眼,我抬头看着他的脸庞,几乎和看石头一样自信。 —

His forehead, that I once thought so manly, and that I now think so diabolical, was shaded with a heavy cloud;
他曾经我以为是如此男子气概的额头,我现在认为如此邪恶,被一团乌云遮蔽; —

his basilisk eyes were nearly quenched by sleeplessness, and weeping, perhaps, for the lashes were wet then:
他的独眼几乎被失眠和泪水湿淋淋的睫毛给淹没: —

his lips devoid of their ferocious sneer, and sealed in an expression of unspeakable sadness.
他的嘴唇不再带着凶残的嘲笑,封闭在一种无法言表的悲伤表情中。 —

Had it been another, I would have covered my face in the presence of such grief.
如果是别人的话,面对这样的悲痛我会捂住脸。但在他的案例中, —

In his case, I was gratified;
我得到了满足; —

and, ignoble as it seems to insult a fallen enemy, I couldn’t miss this chance of sticking in a dart:
尽管侮辱一位失败的敌人看起来是卑鄙的,但我不会错过这个机会来给他来一箭之仇: —

his weakness was the only time when I could taste the delight of paying wrong for wrong.”
他的软弱是我唯一品味对错的快感的时候。”

“Fie, fie, Miss!” I interrupted.
“呸,呸,小姐!”我打断道。 —

“One might suppose you had never opened a Bible in your life.
“你看上去好像从来没有摸过圣书。” —

If God afflict your enemies, surely that ought to suffice you.
如果上帝降罚你的敌人,那应该足够安抚你了。 —

It is both mean and presumptuous to add your torture to his!”
把你的折磨加入到他的折磨之中,这既卑鄙又自负!

“In general I’ll allow that it would be, Ellen, ” she continued;
“总的来说,我承认这样做是不对的,艾伦,”她继续说道; —

“but what misery laid on Heathcliff could content me, unless I have a hand in it?
“但是,除非我参与其中,希斯克利夫受苦之后才会让我满意。 —

I’d rather he suffered less, if I might cause his sufferings and he might know that I was the cause.
如果我能减少他的苦难,只要他能知道我是原因,我宁愿他少受一些折磨。哦, —

Oh, I owe him so much.
我欠他太多了。 —

On only one condition can I hope to forgive him. It is, if I may take an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth;
只有在一个条件下,我才能希望原谅他。那就是,如果我可以以眼还眼,以牙还牙; —

for every wrench of agony return a wrench:
对于他每一次痛苦的挣扎,我都要报以同样的痛苦: —

reduce him to my level. As he was the first to injure, make him the first to implore pardon;
将他降低到我的水平。因为他是第一个伤害我的人,所以让他成为第一个乞求宽恕的人; —

and then—why then, Ellen, I might show you some generosity.
然后——然后,艾伦,我也许可以向你展示一些慷慨。 —

But it is utterly impossible I can ever be revenged, and therefore I cannot forgive him.
但是我绝对不能报复他,因此我也不能原谅他。 —

Hindley wanted some water, and I handed him a glass, and asked him how he was.
Hindley想要一些水,我递给了他一个玻璃杯,并问他身体怎么样。

“‘Not as ill as I wish,’ he replied.
“‘不像我想象的那么糟糕, —

‘But leaving out my arm, every inch of me is as sore as if I had been fighting with a legion of imps!’
’他回答道。‘但除了我的胳膊,我每一寸肌肤都像是跟魔鬼军团搏斗一样酸痛!’

“‘Yes, no wonder,’ was my next remark.
“‘真不出奇,’接着我说道。 —

‘Catherine used to boast that she stood between you and bodily harm:
‘凯瑟琳曾经夸口说她挡住了对你身体的伤害: —

she meant that certain persons would not hurt you for fear of offending her.
她是说有些人不敢伤害你,因为怕得罪她。 —

It’s well people don’t really rise from their grave, or, last night, she might have witnessed a repulsive scene!
真好人们并不真的从坟墓里爬起来,不然,昨晚她就可能目睹到一幕令人厌恶的场景啦! —

Are not you bruised, and cut over your chest and shoulders?’
你的胸膛和肩膀有没有擦伤、割伤?’

“‘I can’t say,’ he answered;
“‘我不知道,’他回答道; —

‘but what do you mean?
‘你是什么意思? —

Did he dare to strike me when I was down?’
他竟敢在我倒下的时候打我?’

“‘He trampled on and kicked you, and dashed you on the ground, ’ I whispered.
“‘他踩踏和踢你,把你摔在地上,’我低声说道。 —

‘And his mouth watered to tear you with his teeth;
‘他的嘴里渴望咬碎你; —

because he’s only half man:
因为他只是半个人: —

not so much, and the rest fiend.’
或者不到半个人,剩下的全是恶魔。’

“Mr. Earnshaw looked up, like me, to the countenance of our mutual foe;
“Earnshaw先生和我一样抬起头,注视着我们共同的敌人的面容; —

who, absorbed in his anguish, seemed insensible to anything around him:
陷入痛苦中的人,对周围的一切似乎毫不在意。 —

the longer he stood, the plainer his reflections revealed their blackness through his features.
他站得越久,透过他的表情越能看出他那黑暗的思绪。

“‘Oh, if God would but give me strength to strangle him in my last agony, I’d go to hell with joy,’ groaned the impatient man, writhing to rise, and sinking back in despair, convinced of his inadequacy for the struggle.
“‘哦,如果上帝能给我力量,在我最后的痛苦中把他勒死,我会非常高兴地下地狱,’焦躁的人呻吟着,扭动着想要站起来,但绝望地沉了下去,意识到自己无力与这样的斗争。”

“‘Nay, it’s enough that he has murdered one of you, ’ I observed aloud.
“‘不,他已经杀了一个你们中的人,’我大声说道。 —

‘At the Grange, every one knows your sister would have been living now had it not been for Mr. Heathcliff.
“大家都知道,如果不是希斯克利夫,你妹妹现在还能活着。” —

After all, it is preferable to be hated than loved by him.
“说到底,被他恨要比被他爱更好。 —

When I recollect how happy we were—how happy Catherine was before he came—I’m fit to curse the day.’
当我回忆起我们多么幸福——在他来之前,凯瑟琳多么幸福——我真想咒骂那一天。”

“Most likely, Heathcliff noticed more the truth of what was said, than the spirit of the person who said it.
“希斯克利夫更可能注意到的是话语背后的真相,而不是说话人的精神状态。” —

His attention was roused, I saw, for his eyes rained down tears among the ashes, and he drew his breath in suffocating sighs.
我看到他的注意力被引起了,因为他的眼泪像灰烬一样落下,他喘不过气来。 —

I stared full at him, and laughed scornfully.
我盯着他,嘲笑地笑了起来。 —

The clouded windows of hell flashed a moment towards me;
地狱那被困扰的窗户向我闪过一瞬间; —

the fiend which usually looked out, however, was so dimmed and drowned that I did not fear to hazard another sound of derision.
通常能从里面看出的那个恶魔此刻黯淡无光,淹没在黑暗中,我不再害怕发出嘲笑的声音。

“‘Get up, and begone out of my sight, ’ said the mourner.
“‘起来,离开我的视线,’悲伤者说。

“I guessed he uttered those words, at least, though his voice was hardly intelligible.
“我猜他说了那些话,尽管他的声音几乎无法听清楚。

“‘I beg your pardon,’ I replied.
“‘请原谅,’我回答说。 —

‘But I loved Catherine too;
‘但是我也爱凯瑟琳; —

and her brother requires attendance, which, for her sake, I shall supply.
而她的兄弟需要照顾,为了她的缘故,我会提供帮助。 —

Now that she’s dead, I see her in Hindley:
“现在她已经死了,我在亨德利看到了她的影子: —

Hindley has exactly her eyes, if you had not tried to gouge them out, and made them black and red; and her—’
亨德利的眼睛和她一模一样,如果你不曾试图挖掉他们,使他们变黑变红;还有她的-’

“‘Get up, wretched idiot, before I stamp you to death!
“‘你这个可怜的傻瓜,起来!否则我会踩死你! —

’ he cried, making a movement that caused me to make one also.
’他大喊一声,做出了一个引起我也做出反应的动作。

“‘But then,’ I continued, holding myself ready to flee, ‘if poor Catherine had trusted you, and assumed the ridiculous, contemptible, degrading title of Mrs. Heathcliff, she would soon have presented a similar picture!
“‘但是,’ 我继续说道,准备好逃跑,‘如果可怜的凯瑟琳信任了你,接受了可笑、可鄙、有辱人格的“希斯克利夫夫人”这个称号,她很快就会呈现出类似的画面! —

She wouldn’t have borne your abominable behaviour quietly:
她不会静静地容忍你可恶的行为: —

her detestation and disgust must have found voice.’
她的厌恶和恶心一定会找到发泄的声音。’

“The back of the settle and Earnshaw’s person interposed between me and him;
“无论如何,我身后的围桌椅背和恩沙先生的身体成了障碍。 —

so instead of endeavouring to reach me, he snatched a dinner-knife from the table and flung it at my head.
所以他没有试图接近我,而是从餐桌上抓起一把餐刀,朝我头上扔了过来。 —

It struck beneath my ear, and stopped the sentence I was uttering; but, pulling it out, I sprang to the door and delivered another;
它击中了我的耳朵下方,打断了我正在说的话;但我把它拔出来,蹿向门口又砍了一刀; —

which I hope went a little deeper than his missile.
希望这一刀比他的飞刀更深入一些。 —

The last glimpse I caught of him was a furious rush on his part, checked by the embrace of his host;
我最后看到的他是他愤怒地冲了上来,被他的主人紧紧拥抱住了; —

and both fell locked together on the hearth.
他们两个一起倒在了壁炉前。 —

In my flight through the kitchen I bid Joseph speed to his master;
在我逃离厨房的时候,我告诉约瑟夫快去通知他的主人。” —

I knocked over Hareton, who was hanging a litter of puppies from a chair-back in the doorway;
我撞倒了挂在门口椅背上的哈里顿,它正在挂着一窝小狗; —

and, blessed as a soul escaped from purgatory, I bounded, leaped, and flew down the steep road;
像一个从炼狱逃脱的灵魂一样,我跳跃着飞驰下陡峭的道路; —

then, quitting its windings, shot direct across the moor, rolling over banks, and wading through marshes:
然后,摆脱了弯道,径直穿越沼泽地滚动而过; —

precipitating myself, in fact, towards the beacon-light of the Grange.
事实上,我急速地朝着荒野固信的灯塔冲去; —

And far rather would I be condemned to a perpetual dwelling in the infernal regions than, even for one night, abide beneath the roof of Wuthering Heights again.”
我宁愿永远被判处在地狱中居住,也不愿再次在威瑟林庄园的屋顶下待上一夜。”

Isabella ceased speaking, and took a drink of tea;
伊莎贝拉停止了讲话,喝了口茶; —

then she rose, and bidding me put on her bonnet, and a great shawl I had brought, and turning a deaf ear to my entreaties for her to remain another hour, she stepped on to a chair, kissed Edgar’s and Catherine’s portraits, bestowed a similar salute on me, and descended to the carriage, accompanied by Fanny, who yelped wild with joy at recovering her mistress.
然后她站起来,让我戴上她的帽子和我带来的一条大披肩,无视我留她再待一小时的请求,她站到椅子上,亲吻了埃德加和凯瑟琳的肖像画,也给了我同样的问候,随后她和范妮一起下了马车,范妮兴奋地吠叫着找回了她的主人。 —

She was driven away, never to revisit this neighbourhood:
她被驱逐出去,再也没有回访这个社区: —

but a regular correspondence was established between her and my master when things were more settled.
但是在事情更平稳后,她与我的主人建立了定期的通信联系。 —

I believe her new abode was in the south, near London;
我相信她的新住所在伦敦附近的南部; —

there she had a son born a few months subsequent to her escape.
她在逃亡几个月后生下了一个儿子。 —

He was christened Linton, and, from the first, she reported him to be an ailing, peevish creature.
他被命名为林顿,从一开始她就告诉我,他是一个生病和易怒的孩子。

Mr. Heathcliff, meeting me one day in the village, inquired where she lived.
希斯克利夫先生在村子里的一个日子里遇见了我,问她住在哪里。 —

I refused to tell.
我拒绝告诉他。 —

He remarked that it was not of any moment, only she must beware of coming to her brother:
他说这并不重要,只是她必须小心不要去找她的兄弟: —

she should not be with him, if he had to keep her himself.
如果必要,他会亲自去找她。 —

Though I would give no information, he discovered, through some of the other servants, both her place of residence and the existence of the child.
尽管我没有提供任何信息,但他通过其他一些仆人发现了她的住所和孩子的存在。 —

Still, he didn’t molest her:
他没有骚扰她: —

for which forbearance she might thank his aversion, I suppose.
这种忍让可以归功于他的厌恶,我想。 —

He often asked about the infant, when he saw me;
每次见到我都会问到这个婴儿, —

and on hearing its name, smiled grimly, and observed:
听到他的名字后,他grimly笑了笑并观察到: —

“They wish me to hate it too, do they?”
“他们希望我也讨厌它,对吗?”

“I don’t think they wish you to know anything about it, ” I answered.
“我觉得他们不希望你对它有任何了解,”我回答道。

“But I’ll have it,” he said, “when I want it. They may reckon on that!”
“但我会拥有它的,”他说,“他们可以指望我这一点!”

Fortunately its mother died before the time arrived;
幸运的是,母亲在期限到来之前去世了; —

some thirteen years after the decease of Catherine, when Linton was twelve, or a little more.
大约在凯瑟琳去世13年后,当林顿12岁,或者稍微大一些时。

On the day succeeding Isabella’s unexpected visit I had no opportunity of speaking to my master:
在伊莎贝拉意外来访的第二天,我没有机会和主人交谈: —

he shunned conversation, and was fit for discussing nothing.
他避免谈话,对于任何争论都毫无兴趣。 —

When I could get him to listen, I saw it pleased him that his sister had left her husband;
当我能让他听我的时候,我看到他对他妹妹离开她丈夫感到高兴; —

whom he abhorred with an intensity which the mildness of his nature would scarcely seem to allow.
他对他所憎恶的人的厌恶之情强烈,这与他温和的本性似乎并不相符。 —

So deep and sensitive was his aversion, that he refrained from going anywhere where he was likely to see or hear of Heathcliff.
他对他斯克利夫温都斯克利夫那么深切敏感的厌恶,以至于他都不敢去任何有可能会见到或听到关于他斯克利夫的地方。 —

Grief, and that together, transformed him into a complete hermit:
悲伤和其他因素使他变成了一个彻底的隐士。 —

he threw up his office of magistrate, ceased even to attend church, avoided the village on all occasions, and spent a life of entire seclusion within the limits of his park and grounds;
他辞去了他的法官职务,甚至不再去教堂,所有的场合都避免去那个村庄,在他的公园和庭院的范围内过上了完全隐居的生活; —

only varied by solitary rambles on the moors, and visits to the grave of his wife, mostly at evening, or early morning before other wanderers were abroad.
仅以漫步在旷野和参观他妻子的坟墓为生活的变化,多半在傍晚或清晨,打算在别人出门之前去。 —

But he was too good to be thoroughly unhappy long.
但他太善良了,不会长期感到彻底的不愉快。 —

He didn’t pray for Catherine’s soul to haunt him.
他没有祈祷凯瑟琳的灵魂来困扰他。 —

Time brought resignation, and a melancholy sweeter than common joy.
时间带来了顺从,一种比普通喜悦更忧郁的情感。 —

He recalled her memory with ardent, tender love, and hopeful aspiring to the better world;
他怀着热情、柔情和对更美好的世界的希望,回想起她的记忆; —

where he doubted not she was gone.
他毫不怀疑她已经去了他所设想的更好的世界。

And he had earthly consolation and affections also.
他也有世俗的安慰和感情。 —

For a few days, I said, he seemed regardless of the puny successor to the departed:
几天来,他似乎对继任者漠不关心。 —

that coldness melted as fast as snow in April, and ere the tiny thing could stammer a word or totter a step it wielded a despot’s sceptre in his heart.
这种冷漠像四月的雪一样迅速融化,还没等这个微小的孩子说出话来或学步行走,他的心就被这宠儿所统治了。 —

It was named Catherine; but he never called it the name in full, as he had never called the first Catherine short:
它起名叫凯瑟琳,但他从来没有叫它全名,就像他从来没有称呼第一个凯瑟琳一样。 —

probably because Heathcliff had a habit of doing so. The little one was always Cathy:
可能是因为希斯克利夫有这样的习惯。他总是称呼那个小家伙为凯茜。 —

it formed to him a distinction from the mother, and yet a connection with her;
对他来说,这个称呼与母亲形成了一种区别,同时又与她有了联系。 —

and his attachment sprang from its relation to her, far more than from its being his own.
他对它的依恋更多地来源于它与母亲的关系,而不只是它是他自己的孩子。

I used to draw a comparison between him and Hindley Earnshaw, and perplex myself to explain satisfactorily why their conduct was so opposite in similar circumstances.
我曾经对他和亨德利·恩肖做过比较,并努力解释他们在相似情况下的行为为什么如此相反。 —

They had both been fond husbands, and were both attached to their children;
他们都是慈爱的丈夫,都对自己的孩子有感情。 —

and I could not see how they shouldn’t both have taken the same road, for good or evil.
我看不出为什么他们不应该选择同一条道路,无论是善还是恶。 —

But, I thought in my mind, Hindley, with apparently the stronger head, has shown himself sadly the worse and the weaker man.
但是,我心里想,相貌上更聪明的Hindley,却表现得更糟糕,更软弱。 —

When his ship struck, the captain abandoned his post;
当他的船撞上礁石时,船长放弃了他的职责; —

and the crew, instead of trying to save her, rushed into riot and confusion, leaving no hope for their luckless vessel.
船员们不是试图拯救船只,而是陷入了混乱和骚乱中,使得不幸的船只没有任何希望。 —

Linton, on the contrary, displayed the true courage of a loyal and faithful soul:
相反地,Linton展现了充满忠诚和信任的真正勇气:他相信上帝; —

he trusted God; and God comforted him.
而上帝安慰了他。 —

One hoped, and the other despaired:
一个人抱有希望,另一个人则绝望: —

they chose their own lots, and were righteously doomed to endure them.
他们选择了自己的命运,并被公正地注定要忍受它们。 —

But you’ll not want to hear my moralising, Mr. Lockwood;
但是,您可能不想听我的道德评论,洛克伍德先生; —

you’ll judge, as well as I can, all these things:
您会像我一样,对这些事情进行评判: —

at least, you’ll think you will, and that’s the same.
至少,您会认为自己会这样做,而这是一样的。 —

The end of Earnshaw was what might have been expected; it followed fast on his sister’s:
Earnshaw的结局是可以预料到的;它紧随在他妹妹之后。 —

there were scarcely six months between them. We, at the Grange, never got a very succinct account of his state preceding it;
他们之间几乎间隔不过六个月。我们在Grange从未得到过他发病前的确切情况的交代; —

all that I did learn was on occasion of going to aid in the preparations for the funeral.
我所了解的一切都是在为葬礼做准备时得知的。 —

Mr. Kenneth came to announce the event to my master.
肯尼斯先生来宣布这个消息给我的主人。

“Well, Nelly,” said he, riding into the yard one morning, too early not to alarm me with an instant presentiment of bad news, “it’s yours and my turn to go into mourning at present.
“嗯,Nelly,”他骑马一早晨进入院子里,太早以至于让我立刻有坏消息的预感,“现在该轮到你和我穿孝了。 —

Who’s given us the slip now, do you think?”
你觉得是谁溜走了?”

“Who?” I asked in a flurry.
“谁?”我慌忙问。

“Why, guess!” he returned, dismounting, and slinging his bridle on a hook by the door.
“猜猜看!”他回答道,下马,将缰绳挂在门边的一个钩子上。 —

“And nip up the corner of your apron:
“还要捏起你围裙的拐角: —

I’m certain you’ll need it.”
我肯定你需要它。”

“Not Mr. Heathcliff, surely?” I exclaimed.
“不会是希斯克里夫先生吧?”我惊呼道。

“What! would you have tears for him?” said the doctor.
“什么!你为他掉泪?”医生说。“不,希斯克里夫是个坚强的年轻人:他今天看起来很红润。 —

“No, Heathcliff’s a tough young fellow:
我刚见过他。自从他失去了他的另一半以来,他的身体迅速恢复了。” —

he looks blooming to-day. I’ve just seen him.
(10. Not Mr. Heathcliff, —

He’s rapidly regaining flesh since he lost his better half.”
surely? I exclaimed.)

“Who is it, then, Mr. Kenneth?” I repeated impatiently.
“那是谁,肯尼斯先生?”我不耐烦地重复道。

“Hindley Earnshaw! Your old friend Hindley,” he replied, “and my wicked gossip:
“Hindley Earnshaw!你的老朋友Hindley,”他回答道,“还有我的恶毒流言: —

though he’s been too wild for me this long while. There!
虽然他已经太过放荡,让我疏远了。在那儿! —

I said we should draw water. But cheer up!
我说我们应该打水。但是振作一点! —

He died true to his character:
他按照他的本性死去: —

drunk as a lord. Poor lad!
像个醉汉一样。可怜的家伙! —

I’m sorry, too.
我也很遗憾。 —

One can’t help missing an old companion:
一个人无法免俗地想念一位老伴: —

though he had the worst tricks with him that ever man imagined, and has done me many a rascally turn.
虽然他有着人间罕见的恶作剧,曾经给我带来过很多恶作剧。 —

He’s barely twenty-seven, it seems;
他似乎只有二十七岁; —

that’s your own age:
那就是你自己的年龄: —

who would have thought you were born in one year?”
谁会想到你们是同一年出生的呢?”

I confess this blow was greater to me than the shock of Mrs. Linton’s death:
我承认这一打击对我而言比林顿夫人的死更重要: —

ancient associations lingered round my heart;
古老的联系盘绕在我的心头; —

I sat down in the porch and wept as for a blood relation, desiring Mr. Kenneth to get another servant to introduce him to the master.
我坐在门廊上,为了一个血亲而哭泣,催促肯尼斯先生找个仆人来介绍他给主人。 —

I could not hinder myself from pondering on the question—“Had he had fair play?
我无法阻止自己去思考这个问题——“他是否受到了公正?”无论我做什么, —

” Whatever I did, that idea would bother me:
这个念头都会困扰着我。 —

it was so tiresomely pertinacious that I resolved on requesting leave to go to Wuthering Heights, and assist in the last duties to the dead.
这件事非常令人厌烦,以至于我决定请求休假去呼啸山庄,协助完成对死者的后事。 —

Mr. Linton was extremely reluctant to consent, but I pleaded eloquently for the friendless condition in which he lay;
林顿先生极不情愿地同意了,但我为他处于无朋无友的境地进行了动情的辩护。 —

and I said my old master and foster-brother had a claim on my services as strong as his own.
我说我那位老主人和养育我的兄弟对我的服侍有着与他一样强烈的要求。 —

Besides, I reminded him that the child Hareton was his wife’s nephew, and, in the absence of nearer kin, he ought to act as its guardian;
此外,我提醒他赫顿是他妻子的侄子,在没有更近的亲人的情况下,他应该充当其监护人; —

and he ought to and must inquire how the property was left, and look over the concerns of his brother-in-law.
他还应该并且必须打听财产是如何留下的,并查看他岳兄的事务。 —

He was unfit for attending to such matters then, but he bid me speak to his lawyer;
那时他无法照顾这些事情,但他让我去找他的律师, —

and at length permitted me to go.
并最终允许我去。 —

His lawyer had been Earnshaw’s also:
他的律师也曾是恩肖家的律师: —

I called at the village, and asked him to accompany me.
我去村里找他,并请他陪我一起去。 —

He shook his head, and advised that Heathcliff should be let alone;
他摇了摇头,并建议别去打扰希斯克里夫; —

affirming, if the truth were known, Hareton would be found little else than a beggar.
他断言,如果事实真相被揭示出来,赫顿除了乞丐还会是什么?

“His father died in debt,” he said;
“他的父亲带着债务去世了, —

“the whole property is mortgaged, and the sole chance for the natural heir is to allow him an opportunity of creating some interest in the creditor’s heart, that he may be inclined to deal leniently towards him.”
”他说,“整个财产都被抵押了,对于自然继承人来说,唯一的机会就是让他有机会在债权人心中引起一些兴趣,以便他可能会对他宽容一些。”

When I reached the Heights, I explained that I had come to see everything carried on decently;
当我到达高地时,我解释说我来是为了看到一切都有体面地进行; —

and Joseph, who appeared in sufficient distress, expressed satisfaction at my presence.
然后约瑟夫显得很苦恼,对我出现感到满意。 —

Mr. Heathcliff said he did not perceive that I was wanted;
希斯克里夫先生说他没看出我有用, —

but I might stay and order the arrangements for the funeral, if I chose.
但如果我愿意,我可以留下来安排葬礼的事情。

“Correctly,” he remarked, “that fool’s body should be buried at the cross-roads, without ceremony of any kind.
“准确地说,”他说,“那个傻瓜的尸体应该在十字路口埋葬,不需要任何形式的仪式。 —

I happened to leave him ten minutes yesterday afternoon, and in that interval he fastened the two doors of the house against me, and he has spent the night in drinking himself to death deliberately!
昨天下午我恰好离开了他十分钟,在这段时间里他把屋子的两扇门都反锁了,他整夜都在刻意地酗酒自杀! —

We broke in this morning, for we heard him snorting like a horse;
今天早上我们闯进去,因为我们听到他像马一样嗤嗤作响; —

and there he was, laid over the settle:
他就在那儿,躺在靠背上: —

flaying and scalping would not have wakened him.
鞭打和剥皮都没能把他吵醒。 —

I sent for Kenneth, and he came;
我叫了肯尼斯,他过来了; —

but not till the beast had changed into carrion:
但是只有在那个兽变成腐肉之后: —

he was both dead and cold, and stark;
他已经既死又冷,而且僵硬; —

and so you’ll allow it was useless making more stir about him!”
所以你会同意再引起更多骚动是毫无用处的!”

The old servant confirmed this statement, but muttered:
老仆人证实了这个说法,但嘟囔道:

“I’d rayther he’d goan hisseln for t’ doctor!
“我倒宁愿他自己去找医生! —

I sud ha’ taen tent o’ t’ maister better nor him—and he warn’t deead when I left, naught o’ t’ soart!”
我比他更能照顾好主人——而且我离开时他还没死,没有那种事!”

I insisted on the funeral being respectable.
我坚持要葬礼得体庄重。 —

Mr. Heathcliff said I might have my own way there too:
希斯克里夫先生说在这方面我可以随心所欲: —

only, he desired me to remember that the money for the whole affair came out of his pocket.
只是,他希望我记住整个事情的钱都是出自他的腰包。 —

He maintained a hard, careless deportment, indicative of neither joy nor sorrow:
他保持着坚硬而漠不关心的态度,既不表现出喜悦也不表现出悲伤。 —

if anything, it expressed a flinty gratification at a piece of difficult work successfully executed.
如果说有什么的话,那就是他对成功完成的艰难工作感到满足。 —

I observed once, indeed, something like exultation in his aspect:
有一次我确实观察到他的表情中有些欢欣: —

it was just when the people were bearing the coffin from the house.
那是人们将棺材从房子里抬出来的时候。 —

He had the hypocrisy to represent a mourner:
他虚伪地扮演一个哀悼者的角色: —

and previous to following with Hareton, he lifted the unfortunate child on to the table and muttered, with peculiar gusto, “Now, my bonny lad, you are mine!
在跟着希尔顿一起走之前,他将这个不幸的孩子放在桌子上,喃喃自语着,带着特殊的满足感,“现在,我的英俊小伙子,你是属于我一个人的! —

And we’ll see if one tree won’t grow as crooked as another, with the same wind to twist it!
“我们会看到,同样的风会把一棵树扭曲得像另一棵一样!”这个天真的孩子对这种说法感到高兴。 —

” The unsuspecting thing was pleased at this speech:

he played with Heathcliff’s whiskers, and stroked his cheek;
他玩弄着希斯克利夫的胡须,抚摸着他的脸颊; —

but I divined its meaning, and observed tartly, “That boy must go back with me to Thrushcross Grange, sir.
但是我猜到了它的意思,并且尖酸地说:“这个孩子必须跟我回到瑟舍克斯庄园,先生。 —

There is nothing in the world less yours than he is!”
世界上没有比他更不属于你的东西了!”

“Does Linton say so?” he demanded.
“林顿说是这样吗?”他要求道。

“Of course—he has ordered me to take him,” I replied.
“当然了——他命令我带他走,”我回答道。

“Well,” said the scoundrel, “we’ll not argue the subject now:
“好吧,”那个恶棍说,“我们现在不讨论这个问题: —

but I have a fancy to try my hand at rearing a young one;
但我想尝试一下养一个年轻人; —

so intimate to your master that I must supply the place of this with my own, if he attempt to remove it.
所以告诉你的主人,如果他试图把他带走,我自己会代替他这个位置。 —

I don’t engage to let Hareton go undisputed;
我不能保证不让Hareton轻易放走; —

but I’ll be pretty sure to make the other come!
但至少我肯定会让另一个来! —

Remember to tell him.”
记得告诉他。”

This hint was enough to bind our hands.
这个暗示足以捆绑我们的手脚。 —

I repeated its substance on my return;
我在回来时重复了它的要点; —

and Edgar Linton, little interested at the commencement, spoke no more of interfering.
开始的时候,埃德加·林顿对此几乎没有兴趣,后来也再没有提及要干涉。 —

I’m not aware that he could have done it to any purpose, had he been ever so willing.
我不知道即使他愿意,他能做些什么。

The guest was now the master of Wuthering Heights:
客人现在是呼啸山庄的主人: —

he held firm possession, and proved to the attorney—who, in his turn, proved it to Mr. Linton—that Earnshaw had mortgaged every yard of land he owned for cash to supply his mania for gaming;
他紧紧占据着这个地方,并向律师证明——律师又向林顿先生证明——恩肖先已抵押了他拥有的每一寸土地,为了他对赌博的狂热消费。 —

and he, Heathcliff, was the mortgagee.
而他,希斯克利夫, —

In that manner Hareton, who should now be the first gentleman in the neighbourhood, was reduced to a state of complete dependence on his father’s inveterate enemy;
是债权人。这样一来,海顿,现在本应是邻里中的第一绅士,却完全依赖于他父亲的死敌; —

and lives in his own house as a servant, deprived of the advantage of wages:
并以佣人的身份住在自己的房子里,失去了工资的好处; —

quite unable to right himself, because of his friendlessness, and his ignorance that he has been wronged.
他完全没有能力矫正自己的处境,因为他没有朋友,也不知道自己受到了冤枉。