The twelve years, continued Mrs. Dean, following that dismal period were the happiest of my life:
十二年来,继续道恩夫人,是我生命中最幸福的时光。 —

my greatest troubles in their passage rose from our little lady’s trifling illnesses, which she had to experience in common with all children, rich and poor.
我最大的烦恼在这段时间里来自我们小女孩的微小疾病,她与所有的孩子一样,富人和穷人都经历过这些。 —

For the rest, after the first six months, she grew like a larch, and could walk and talk too, in her own way, before the heath blossomed a second time over Mrs. Linton’s dust.
此外,在头6个月后,她像落叶松一样长高了,还能走路,也能以自己的方式说话,在赭石重新开花之前。 —

She was the most winning thing that ever brought sunshine into a desolate house:
她是带给荒凉之家光明的最迷人的存在: —

a real beauty in face, with the Earnshaws’ handsome dark eyes, but the Lintons’ fair skin and small features, and yellow curling hair.
她的脸真是漂亮,有恩舍族人那美丽的深色眼睛,但有林顿族人那白皙的肌肤、精致的面部特征和金色的卷发。 —

Her spirit was high, though not rough, and qualified by a heart sensitive and lively to excess in its affections.
她的精神很高强,虽然并不粗俗,但是她的心对自己的感情过于敏感和活泼,这让我想起了她的母亲。 —

That capacity for intense attachments reminded me of her mother:
她对深情和依恋的才华使我想起了她的母亲, —

still she did not resemble her:
但她本人并不像她。 —

for she could be soft and mild as a dove, and she had a gentle voice and pensive expression:
因为她可以像一只温和的鸽子一样温柔和温顺,她有着温柔的声音和思考的表情: —

her anger was never furious;
她的愤怒从未猛烈, —

her love never fierce:
她的爱从未狂热。 —

it was deep and tender. However, it must be acknowledged, she had faults to foil her gifts.
这种爱是深沉而温柔的。然而,必须承认,她有着一些缺点来抵消她的天赋。 —

A propensity to be saucy was one;
其中一项就是她有点嘴碎。 —

and a perverse will, that indulged children invariably acquire, whether they be good tempered or cross.
还有一种执拗的意志,无论是温和的还是暴躁的孩子都会习得。 —

If a servant chanced to vex her, it was always—“I shall tell papa!
如果一个仆人碰巧惹她生气,她总是说,“我要告诉爸爸!” —

” And if he reproved her, even by a look, you would have thought it a heart-breaking business:
如果他责备她,即使只是一个眼神,你会觉得这是一件令人心碎的事情。 —

I don’t believe he ever did speak a harsh word to her.
我不相信他曾经对她说过一句苛刻的话。 —

He took her education entirely on himself, and made it an amusement.
他完全承担了她的教育,并将其当作一种娱乐。 —

Fortunately, curiosity and a quick intellect made her an apt scholar:
幸运的是,好奇心和敏捷的智力使她成为一个聪明的学生: —

she learned rapidly and eagerly, and did honour to his teaching.
她学得非常快而且积极,对他的教导表示敬意。

Till she reached the age of thirteen she had not once been beyond the range of the park by herself.
直到她十三岁那年,她从未独自一人远离过公园的范围。 —

Mr. Linton would take her with him a mile or so outside, on rare occasions; but he trusted her to no one else.
林顿先生偶尔会带她一英里左右的地方,但他不信任其他人。 —

Gimmerton was an unsubstantial name in her ears; the chapel, the only building she had approached or entered, except her own home.
对她来说,吉默顿是个轻飘飘的名字,除了自己的家,教堂是她唯一接近或进入过的建筑物。 —

Wuthering Heights and Mr. Heathcliff did not exist for her:
呼啸山庄和希斯克利夫先生对她来说并不存在: —

she was a perfect recluse; and, apparently, perfectly contented.
她是一个完美的隐士;而且,显然,非常满足。 —

Sometimes, indeed, while surveying the country from her nursery window, she would observe—
实际上,有时候,当她从她的卧室窗口俯瞰这片乡村时,她会观察到——

“Ellen, how long will it be before I can walk to the top of those hills?
“埃伦,我什么时候才能走到那些山的顶端? —

I wonder what lies on the other side—is it the sea?”
我想知道另一边是什么—是海吗?”

“No, Miss Cathy,” I would answer;
“不,凯蒂小姐,”我会回答说;” —

“it is hills again, just like these.”
那也是山,就像这些一样。”

“And what are those golden rocks like when you stand under them?
“当你站在它们下面时,那些金黄的岩石是什么样的?” —

” she once asked.
她曾经问过。

The abrupt descent of Penistone Crags particularly attracted her notice;
皮尼斯通岩崖的陡峭下降特别吸引了她的注意; —

especially when the setting sun shone on it and the topmost heights, and the whole extent of landscape besides lay in shadow.
特别是当夕阳照耀在上面的时候,整个山顶和整个景色都被阴影覆盖。 —

I explained that they were bare masses of stone, with hardly enough earth in their clefts to nourish a stunted tree.
我解释说它们只是一堆光秃秃的石头,裂缝中几乎没有足够的泥土来供养一棵矮小的树木。

“And why are they bright so long after it is evening here?
“那它们为什么在这里天黑后还那么亮呢?” —

” she pursued.
她继续问道。

“Because they are a great deal higher up than we are, ” replied I; “you could not climb them, they are too high and steep.
“因为它们比我们高得多,”我回答说,” 你爬不上去,它们太高、太陡峭了。 —

In winter the frost is always there before it comes to us;
在冬天,那里的霜永远先到达, —

and deep into summer I have found snow under that black hollow on the north-east side!”
而在夏天的深处,我发现黑洞东北侧还有积雪!”

“Oh, you have been on them!” she cried gleefully.
“哦,你去过那里!”她高兴地喊道,” —

“Then I can go, too, when I am a woman.
那我长大后也可以去!爸爸去过那里吗, —

Has papa been, Ellen?”
艾伦?”

“Papa would tell you, Miss,” I answered, hastily, “that they are not worth the trouble of visiting.
“爸爸会告诉你的,小姐,”我急忙回答说,” 那些地方没有值得去的价值。 —

The moors, where you ramble with him, are much nicer;
你和他一起漫游的荒野要好得多; —

and Thrushcross Park is the finest place in the world.”
而瑟斯克洛斯庄园是世界上最美好的地方。”

“But I know the park, and I don’t know those, ” she murmured to herself.
“但是我知道庄园,却不知道那些地方,” 她自言自语地说。 —

“And I should delight to look round me from the brow of that tallest point:
“我会很乐意站在最高的地方四周看看,”她补充道。 —

my little pony Minny shall take me some time.”
我的小马宝莉小迷你可能需要一些时间。”

One of the maids mentioning the Fairy Cave, quite turned her head with a desire to fulfil this project:
其中一个女仆提到了仙女洞穴,这让她非常想去实现这个计划: —

she teased Mr. Linton about it;
她就这样取笑林顿先生; —

and he promised she should have the journey when she got older.
他答应她长大后就可以去旅行。 —

But Miss Catherine measured her age by months, and, “Now, am I old enough to go to Penistone Crags?
但是凯瑟琳小姐按月计算她的年龄,她口中经常问道: —

” was the constant question in her mouth.
“我已经够大去彭尼斯通岩吗?” —

The road thither wound close by Wuthering Heights.
通向那里的路近乎经过呼啸山庄。 —

Edgar had not the heart to pass it;
埃德加无心经过它; —

so she received as constantly the answer, “Not yet, love: not yet.”
所以她总是得到回答:“还不行,亲爱的,还不行。”

I said Mrs. Heathcliff lived above a dozen years after quitting her husband.
我说希斯克利夫夫人离开丈夫后还过了十几年。 —

Her family were of a delicate constitution:
她的家族体质比较虚弱: —

she and Edgar both lacked the ruddy health that you will generally meet in these parts.
她和埃德加都没有这片地区通常见到的红润的健康。 —

What her last illness was, I am not certain:
我不确定她最后是什么病死的: —

I conjecture, they died of the same thing, a kind of fever, slow at its commencement, but incurable, and rapidly consuming life towards the close.
我猜想,他们都是死于一种相同的疾病,一种开始慢慢的发烧病,但是无法治愈,然后迅速消耗生命。 —

She wrote to inform her brother of the probable conclusion of a four-months’ indisposition under which she had suffered, and entreated him to come to her, if possible;
她写信告诉她的兄弟,她过去四个月一直在忍受的病痛可能即将结束,并恳请他尽可能地来看望她; —

for she had much to settle, and she wished to bid him adieu, and deliver Linton safely into his hands.
因为她还有很多事情要处理,她希望能够向他告别,并安全地把林顿交给他。 —

Her hope was that Linton might be left with him, as he had been with her:
她希望林顿可以像之前一样留在他身边: —

his father, she would fain convince herself, had no desire to assume the burden of his maintenance or education.
她真心希望他父亲没有想要承担养育和教育他的负担。 —

My master hesitated not a moment in complying with her request:
我的主人毫不犹豫地满足了她的请求: —

reluctant as he was to leave home at ordinary calls, he flew to answer this;
尽管他不愿意在正常情况下离开家,但他立刻赶来回应她; —

commending Catherine to my peculiar vigilance, in his absence, with reiterated orders that she must not wander out of the park, even under my escort:
在他离开期间,他再三嘱咐我要特别留意凯瑟琳,不要让她离开公园,即使有我陪伴: —

he did not calculate on her going unaccompanied.
他没有考虑过她会独自出去。

He was away three weeks. The first day or two my charge sat in a corner of the library, too sad for either reading or playing:
他离开了三个星期。头一两天,我的责任在图书馆的一个角落里沉默不语,既无心阅读也无心玩耍。 —

in that quiet state she caused me little trouble;
在那个宁静的状态下,她给我带来了很少的麻烦; —

but it was succeeded by an interval of impatient, fretful weariness;
但之后是一段不耐烦、焦躁的疲惫期; —

and being too busy, and too old then, to run up and down amusing her, I hit on a method by which she might entertain herself.
由于我忙碌,也年纪太大了,没办法陪她四处娱乐,我想出了一个办法,让她可以自己娱乐。 —

I used to send her on her travels round the grounds—now on foot, and now on a pony;
我常常让她在庭园里四处旅行,有时是步行,有时是骑马; —

indulging her with a patient audience of all her real and imaginary adventures when she returned.
她在回来的时候,我会耐心地倾听她所有真实和虚构的冒险故事。

The summer shone in full prime;
夏天正盛, —

and she took such a taste for this solitary rambling that she often contrived to remain out from breakfast till tea;
她对这种独自漫步产生了浓厚的兴趣,以至于她经常在早餐时间到茶点时间都待在外面; —

and then the evenings were spent in recounting her fanciful tales.
然后晚上就花在讲述她幻想故事上了。 —

I did not fear her breaking bounds;
我不担心她会越界; —

because the gates were generally locked, and I thought she would scarcely venture forth alone, if they had stood wide open.
因为大门通常是锁着的,我想她不会一个人冒险出去,即使门开得敞开着。 —

Unluckily, my confidence proved misplaced.
不幸的是,我的信心被证明是错误的。 —

Catherine came to me, one morning, at eight o’clock, and said she was that day an Arabian merchant, going to cross the Desert with his caravan;
一天早晨,凯瑟琳来找我,说她今天要扮演一名阿拉伯商人,带着他的商队穿越沙漠; —

and I must give her plenty of provision for herself and beasts:
我必须给她足够的食物供应, —

a horse, and three camels, personated by a large hound and a couple of pointers.
包括一匹马和三只骆驼,由一只大猎犬和两只指示猎犬扮演。 —

I got together good store of dainties, and slung them in a basket on one side of the saddle;
我准备了很多美食,把它们装进一个篮子里,挂在马鞍的一边; —

and she sprang up as gay as a fairy, sheltered by her wide-brimmed hat and gauze veil from the July sun, and trotted off with a merry laugh, mocking my cautious counsel to avoid galloping, and come back early.
她戴着宽檐帽和纱面纱巾,像个快乐的仙女一样欢快地跳上马背,笑嘻嘻地嘲笑我的小心谨慎,不听我的劝告不要奔驰,早点回来。 —

The naughty thing never made her appearance at tea.
这个调皮的东西从来没有出现过晚餐。 —

One traveller, the hound, being an old dog and fond of its ease, returned;
一名旅行者,那只猎犬,是一只年迈而爱安逸的狗,回来了; —

but neither Cathy, nor the pony, nor the two pointers were visible in any direction:
但是无论是凯茜还是小马,还是那两只指示猎犬,都没有在任何方向上露面; —

I despatched emissaries down this path, and that path, and at last went wandering in search of her myself.
我派人沿着这条路和那条路发送消息,最后自己四处寻找。 —

There was a labourer working at a fence round a plantation, on the borders of the grounds.
有一个工人在园林周围的篱笆上工作。 —

I inquired of him if he had seen our young lady.
我问他是否见过我们的小姐。

“I saw her at morn,” he replied:
他回答说:“我在早上见过她。 —

“she would have me to cut her a hazel switch, and then she leapt her Galloway over the hedge yonder, where it is lowest, and galloped out of sight.”
她要我给她削一个榛木杆,然后她骑着她的格洛威马跃过那边最低的篱笆,然后飞驰而去,消失在视线中。”

You may guess how I felt at hearing this news.
听到这个消息我就知道她一定是去了彭尼斯通岩。 —

It struck me directly she must have started for Penistone Crags. “What will become of her?
“她会怎么样呢?”我喃喃自语着,穿过那个男人正在修补的缺口,径直走向大道。 —

” I ejaculated, pushing through a gap which the man was repairing, and making straight to the high-road.
我像赌赛一样快步走着,一英里又一英里,直到一道转弯让我望见了那些山峰;但无论远近,都没有看到凯瑟琳的踪影。 —

I walked as if for a wager, mile after mile, till a turn brought me in view of the Heights;
彭尼斯通岩离希斯克利夫先生的地方大约还有一英里半的距离,离庄园有四英里的距离, —

but no Catherine could I detect, far or near.
所以我开始担心天黑之前我赶不到那里。 —

The Crags lie about a mile and a half beyond Mr. Heathcliff’s place, and that is four from the Grange, so I began to fear night would fall ere I could reach them.
课边峭壁在希斯克利夫先生的地方再往前约一英里半的距离处,而那又距离庄园有四英里,所以我开始担心天黑之前我赶不到那里。 —

“And what if she should have slipped in clambering among them, ” I reflected, “and been killed, or broken some of her bones?
“如果她在爬过它们时滑倒了,摔伤了的话,那该怎么办?”我想到,“甚至可能伤到骨头吗? —

” My suspense was truly painful; and, at first, it gave me delightful relief to observe, in hurrying by the farmhouse, Charlie, the fiercest of the pointers, lying under a window, with swelled head and bleeding ear.
我真是煎熬不堪,但当我匆匆走过农舍时,看到最凶猛的指针犬查理躺在窗户下,头肿着,耳朵流着血,这让我感到欣慰。 —

I opened the wicket and ran to the door, knocking vehemently for admittance.
我打开小门,跑到门口,猛烈地敲门要求进来。 —

A woman whom I knew, and who formerly lived at Gimmerton, answered:
一个我认识的女人,曾经住在吉马顿的,回答道: —

she had been servant there since the death of Mr. Earnshaw.
自从欧仁肖先生去世后,她一直在那里做女仆。

“Ah,” said she, “you are come a-seeking your little mistress!
“啊,”她说,“你是来找你小姐的!别害怕, —

Don’t be frightened. She’s here safe:
她在这里安全: —

but I’m glad it isn’t the master.”
不过我很高兴不是主人回来。”

“He is not at home then, is he?” I panted, quite breathless with quick walking and alarm.
“那么他不在家,是吗?”我气喘吁吁地问道,由于快速行走和担心而失去了呼吸。

“No, no,” she replied: “both he and Joseph are off, and I think they won’t return this hour or more.
“不,不,”她回答道:“他和约瑟夫都走了,我想他们会至少再过一个小时才回来。 —

Step in and rest you a bit.”
进来休息一下吧。”

I entered, and beheld my stray lamb seated on the hearth, rocking herself in a little chair that had been her mother’s when a child.
我走进房间,看到我的走失小羊羔坐在壁炉旁的小椅子上,她正晃动着身子,这把椅子是她母亲小时候用过的。 —

Her hat was hung against the wall, and she seemed perfectly at home, laughing and chattering, in the best spirits imaginable, to Hareton—now a great, strong lad of eighteen—who stared at her with considerable curiosity and astonishment:
她的帽子挂在墙上,她看起来十分自在,笑着和哈里顿聊天,哈里顿现在已经是一个十八岁的大个子了,他好奇而惊讶地看着她,一连串流利的言语和问题,他只能懵懂地听着。 —

comprehending precious little of the fluent succession of remarks and questions which her tongue never ceased pouring forth.
他几乎无法理解她不停倾泻而出的话语和问题的意思。

“Very well, Miss!” I exclaimed, concealing my joy under an angry countenance.
“很好,小姐!“我大喊着,把我的喜悦藏在愤怒的表情下。 —

“This is your last ride, till papa comes back.
“这是你最后一次出去骑马了, —

I’ll not trust you over the threshold again, you naughty, naughty girl!”
等爸爸回来再说吧。你这个坏坏的女孩,我再也不会相信你了!”

“Aha, Ellen!” she cried, gaily, jumping up and running to my side.
“啊哈,埃伦!“她欢快地叫着,跳了起来,跑到我的身边。 —

“I shall have a pretty story to tell to-night;
“我今晚会有一个很有趣的故事要讲给大家听, —

and so you’ve found me out.
原来你找到我了。 —

Have you ever been here in your life before?”
你以前来过这里吗?”

“Put that hat on, and home at once, ” said I. “I’m dreadfully grieved at you, Miss Cathy: you’ve done extremely wrong!
“戴上那顶帽子,马上回家,”我说道。“小凯茜,你做得非常错! —

It’s no use pouting and crying:
生气和哭泣都没有用: —

that won’t repay the trouble I’ve had, scouring the country after you.
那不能弥补我跑遍乡村找你的麻烦。 —

To think how Mr. Linton charged me to keep you in;
“想想林顿先生叫我留着你, —

and you stealing off so!
可你却溜走了! —

It shows you are a cunning little fox, and nobody will put faith in you any more.”
“这表明你是一只狡猾的小狐狸,再也没有人会相信你了。”

“What have I done?” sobbed she, instantly checked.
“我做了什么?”她抽泣着说。 —

“Papa charged me nothing: he’ll not scold me, Ellen—he’s never cross, like you!”
“爸爸没叫我做任何事: 他不会责骂我,艾伦,他从来不发火,像你这样!”

“Come, come!” I repeated. “I’ll tie the riband. Now, let us have no petulance. Oh, for shame!
“来吧,来吧!”我重复道。“我来系蝴蝶结。现在,别再发脾气了。哦,真丢人! —

You thirteen years old, and such a baby!”
你已经十三岁了,还像个小孩!”

This exclamation was caused by her pushing the hat from her head, and retreating to the chimney out of my reach.
她将帽子从头上扔掉,躲到了烟囱旁,我够不着。

“Nay,” said the servant, “don’t be hard on the bonny lass, Mrs. Dean. We made her stop:
“别对这个漂亮姑娘太苛刻,迪恩太太。是我们拦住了她: —

she’d fain have ridden forwards, afeard you should be uneasy.
她本想往前骑,怕你担心。” —

Hareton offered to go with her, and I thought he should:
赫顿主动提出陪她去,我觉得他应该去: —

it’s a wild road over the hills.”
这是一条穿越山丘的崎岖道路。

Hareton, during the discussion, stood with his hands in his pockets, too awkward to speak;
赫顿在讨论中双手插兜,尴尬得不知道该说什么; —

though he looked as if he did not relish my intrusion.
虽然看起来他似乎不喜欢我插手。

“How long am I to wait?” I continued, disregarding the woman’s interference.
我不理睬那个女人的干扰,继续问:“我要等多久? —

“It will be dark in ten minutes.
再过十分钟就要天黑了。 —

Where is the pony, Miss Cathy? And where is Phoenix?
凯茜小姐,小马在院子里,凤凰关在那边。 —

I shall leave you, unless you be quick;
我要走了,除非你快点。 —

so please yourself.”
随你的便吧。

“The pony is in the yard,” she replied, “and Phoenix is shut in there.
她回答道:“小马在院子里,凤凰被关进去了。 —

He’s bitten—and so is Charlie.
他咬伤了——查理也咬伤了。 —

I was going to tell you all about it;
我本来要告诉你一切的, —

but you are in a bad temper, and don’t deserve to hear.”
但你现在情绪不好,不值得听。

I picked up her hat, and approached to reinstate it;
我捡起她的帽子,准备给她重新戴好; —

but perceiving that the people of the house took her part, she commenced capering round the room;
但是看到屋里的人都站在她一边,她开始在房间里跳跃起舞; —

and on my giving chase, ran like a mouse over and under and behind the furniture, rendering it ridiculous for me to pursue.
于是我追逐她,她像只老鼠一样在家具的上下和后面穿迷藏,让我追不上,可笑至极。 —

Hareton and the woman laughed, and she joined them, and waxed more impertinent still;
Hareton和那个女人笑了起来,她也加入了他们,变得更加傲慢; —

till I cried, in great irritation,—“Well, Miss Cathy, if you were aware whose house this is you’d be glad enough to get out.”
直到我愤怒地大喊道:“嘿,凯茜小姐,如果你知道这是谁的房子,你肯定很高兴离开。”

“It’s your father’s, isn’t it?
“这是你爸爸的房子,是吗? —

” said she, turning to Hareton.
”她转向了Hareton。

“Nay,” he replied, looking down, and blushing bashfully.
他低头红了脸,回答道:“不,”;

He could not stand a steady gaze from her eyes, though they were just his own.
尽管她的眼睛和他一模一样,他还是无法承受她坚定的凝视。

“Whose then—your master’s?” she asked.
“那是谁的呢?你的主人?”她问道。

He coloured deeper, with a different feeling, muttered an oath, and turned away.
他因为另一种情感而脸色更红了,嘀咕着咒骂一声,转身离开。

“Who is his master?” continued the tiresome girl, appealing to me. “He talked about ‘our house, ’ and ‘our folk.
“他的主人是谁?”这个烦人的女孩继续问我,“他说过‘我们的房子’和‘我们的人’。 —

’ I thought he had been the owner’s son. And he never said Miss:
我还以为他是主人的儿子。而且他从来没说过小姐,如果他是个仆人的话,他应该说的,对吧? —

he should have done, shouldn’t he, if he’s a servant?”
Hareton听了这个孩子气的话脸色铁青。我默默地摇了摇头,最后终于成功让她准备离开。

Hareton grew black as a thunder-cloud at this childish speech.

I silently shook my questioner, and at last succeeded in equipping her for departure.

“Now, get my horse,” she said, addressing her unknown kinsman as she would one of the stable-boys at the Grange.
“现在,把我的马带来,”她对那个不知名的亲戚说道,就像对Grange的一个马夫一样。 —

“And you may come with me.
“你可以跟着我来。 —

I want to see where the goblin-hunter rises in the marsh, and to hear about the fairishes, as you call them:
我想去看看在沼泽地里猎魔的人在哪里出没,听听你所称之为’fairishes’的事情。 —

but make haste! What’s the matter? Get my horse, I say.”
但快点!发生了什么事?给我带来我的马,我说的。

“I’ll see thee damned before I be thy servant!
“宁愿见你见鬼,也不做你的仆人! —

” growled the lad.
”男孩嘟囔着说。

“You’ll see me what?” asked Catherine in surprise.
“你希望见我见鬼?”凯瑟琳惊讶地问道。

“Damned—thou saucy witch!” he replied.
“见鬼吧,你这傲慢的巫婆!”他回答道。

“There, Miss Cathy! you see you have got into pretty company, ” I interposed. “Nice words to be used to a young lady!
“看吧,凯西小姐!你看看自己交了个好朋友,”我插话道。“竟然对一个小姐说出这样的话! —

Pray don’t begin to dispute with him. Come, let us seek for Minny ourselves, and begone.”
请不要与他争辩。来吧,我们自己去找Minny,然后离开。”

“But, Ellen,” cried she, staring fixed in astonishment, “how dare he speak so to me?
“但是,埃伦,”她惊讶地盯着我说道,“他怎么敢这样对我说话? —

Mustn’t he be made to do as I ask him?
难道他不应该按照我的要求去做吗? —

You wicked creature, I shall tell papa what you said.
你这个坏人,我要告诉爸爸你说的话。——现在, —

—Now, then!”
就这样!”

Hareton did not appear to feel this threat;
Hareton似乎并没有感受到这个威胁; —

so the tears sprang into her eyes with indignation.
所以愤怒的眼泪涌上了她的眼睛。 —

“You bring the pony,” she exclaimed, turning to the woman, “and let my dog free this moment!”
“你带来那匹小马,”她对那个女人喊道,“让我的狗立刻自由!”

“Softly, Miss,” answered the addressed.
“轻点,小姐,”被称呼的人回答道。 —

“You’ll lose nothing by being civil.
“你对别人礼貌不会吃亏。” —

Though Mr. Hareton, there, be not the master’s son, he’s your cousin:
尽管那个Hareton先生不是主人的儿子,但他是你的表亲: —

and I was never hired to serve you.”
而我从来没有被雇来给你服务。”

He my cousin!” cried Cathy, with a scornful laugh.
“他是我的表亲!”凯茜愤慨地笑了起来。

“Yes, indeed,” responded her reprover.
“是的,确实是的,”她的劝告者回答道。

“Oh, Ellen! don’t let them say such things, ” she pursued in great trouble.
“哦,埃伦!不要让他们说这种话。”她痛苦地继续说道。 —

“Papa is gone to fetch my cousin from London:
“爸爸去伦敦接我的表亲: —

my cousin is a gentleman’s son.
我的表亲是一个绅士的儿子。 —

That my—” she stopped, and wept outright;
我的……”她停住了,然后哭了起来; —

upset at the bare notion of relationship with such a clown.
在与这种丑角有亲属关系的想法下震惊了。

“Hush, hush!” I whispered;
“嘘,嘘!”我低声说。 —

“people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it;
“人们可以有很多表亲,各种各样的表亲,凯茜小姐,而不会因此变得更糟; —

only they needn’t keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.”
只要他们不喜欢和坏的人保持联系,就可以了。”

“He’s not—he’s not my cousin, Ellen!” she went on, gathering fresh grief from reflection, and flinging herself into my arms for refuge from the idea.
“艾伦,他——他不是——他不是我的表弟!”她继续说道,从回忆中感受到新的悲伤,然后扑进我的怀抱,以逃避这个念头。

I was much vexed at her and the servant for their mutual revelations;
她和仆人互相透露内情,让我非常烦恼; —

having no doubt of Linton’s approaching arrival, communicated by the former, being reported to Mr. Heathcliff;
我毫不怀疑林顿即将到来的消息已经被前者告知并传达给了希斯克利夫; —

and feeling as confident that Catherine’s first thought on her father’s return would be to seek an explanation of the latter’s assertion concerning her rude-bred kindred.
我有信心,凯瑟琳父亲回来后,她首先想到的会是寻求解释后者关于她粗鲁亲戚的断言的来意。 —

Hareton, recovering from his disgust at being taken for a servant, seemed moved by her distress;
哈顿恢复了对被误认为仆人的厌恶,看到她的痛苦时似乎感到了动容; —

and, having fetched the pony round to the door, he took, to propitiate her, a fine crooked-legged terrier whelp from the kennel, and putting it into her hand, bid her whist!
他把小马带到门口后,为了讨好她,他从狗窝里拿出一只健美、弯腿的小狗仔,放到她手里,并吩咐她安静下来!他的意思是没事。她在哀叹中停顿下来,惊恐地审视着他,然后再次爆发出声。 —

for he meant nought. Pausing in her lamentations, she surveyed him with a glance of awe and horror, then burst forth anew.

I could scarcely refrain from smiling at this antipathy to the poor fellow;
我简直忍不住笑了,对这个对可怜的家伙充满了厌恶; —

who was a well-made, athletic youth, good-looking in features, and stout and healthy, but attired in garments befitting his daily occupations of working on the farm and lounging among the moors after rabbits and game.
他是一个身材匀称、健壮的年轻人,相貌英俊,身体强壮健康,但身穿适合他日常在农场工作和在荒野中捕兔子和打猎的服装。 —

Still, I thought I could detect in his physiognomy a mind owning better qualities than his father ever possessed.
然而,我认为我在他的面部特征中发现了一种比他父亲更好的品质的心灵。 —

Good things lost amid a wilderness of weeds, to be sure, whose rankness far over-topped their neglected growth;
确实,这些好的品质埋没在一片荒草丛中,草丛的茂盛远远超过了被忽视的生长; —

yet, notwithstanding, evidence of a wealthy soil, that might yield luxuriant crops under other and favourable circumstances.
但是,尽管如此,在其他有利条件下,这片丰饶的土壤可能会产生丰富的庄稼。 —

Mr. Heathcliff, I believe, had not treated him physically ill;
我相信希斯克利夫先生并没有对他施加身体上的虐待; —

thanks to his fearless nature, which offered no temptation to that course of oppression:
这要归功于他无所畏惧的天性,这种天性对压迫毫无诱惑力: —

he had none of the timid susceptibility that would have given zest to ill-treatment, in Heathcliff’s judgment.
他没有一点胆怯敏感性,这在希斯克利夫的眼中并不值得施加虐待。 —

He appeared to have bent his malevolence on making him a brute:
他似乎将他的恶意用于使他成为一个野蛮人: —

he was never taught to read or write;
他从未受过读写的教育; —

never rebuked for any bad habit which did not annoy his keeper;
除非某个坏习惯使他的看守者不高兴, —

never led a single step towards virtue, or guarded by a single precept against vice.
否则他从未受到责备;从未迈向美德,从未受过任何防止恶习的教诲。 —

And from what I heard, Joseph contributed much to his deterioration, by a narrow-minded partiality which prompted him to flatter and pet him, as a boy, because he was the head of the old family.
根据我所听到的,约瑟夫在他还是个孩子的时候就因为偏执狭隘而迁就和溺爱他,因为他是老家族的领袖。 —

And as he had been in the habit of accusing Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, when children, of putting the master past his patience, and compelling him to seek solace in drink by what he termed their “offald ways, ” so at present he laid the whole burden of Hareton’s faults on the shoulders of the usurper of his property.
而且他一直习惯于指责凯瑟琳·恩肖或者希斯克利夫,说是他们惹恼了主人,迫使主人去寻求酒精来宽慰自己,现在他把哈里顿的所有过错都归咎于夺取了他财产的篡夺者。 —

If the lad swore, he wouldn’t correct him:
如果那小伙子说脏话,他也不会纠正他: —

nor however culpably he behaved.
无论他的行为有多么可责备。 —

It gave Joseph satisfaction, apparently, to watch him go the worst lengths:
看来,约瑟夫很满意地看着他走上更糟糕的道路:他承认这个小伙子被毁了。 —

he allowed that the lad was ruined:

that his soul was abandoned to perdition;
他的灵魂被遗弃至永恒之地, —

but then he reflected that Heathcliff must answer for it.
但随后他想到了希斯克利夫必须为此负责。 —

Hareton’s blood would be required at his hands;
哈里顿的鲜血将成为他所犯罪孽的报应; —

and there lay immense consolation in that thought.
这个想法给了他极大的慰藉。 —

Joseph had instilled into him a pride of name, and of his lineage;
约瑟夫灌输给他一种对姓氏和家族的自豪感; —

he would, had he dared, have fostered hate between him and the present owner of the Heights:
他本想挑拨他和荒原别墅目前的主人之间的仇恨, —

but his dread of that owner amounted to superstition;
但对主人的恐惧已经达到了迷信的程度; —

and he confined his feelings regarding him to muttered innuendoes and private comminations.
他仅将自己对主人的感觉嘀咕着和私下诅咒着; —

I don’t pretend to be intimately acquainted with the mode of living customary in those days at Wuthering Heights:
我并不打算对荒原别墅那个时代的生活方式过于了解, —

I only speak from hearsay;
我只是根据传闻来谈。 —

for I saw little. The villagers affirmed Mr. Heathcliff was near, and a cruel hard landlord to his tenants;
因为我看到的很少。村民们说希斯克利夫先生离这里很近,是个对租户残酷无情的房东; —

but the house, inside, had regained its ancient aspect of comfort under female management, and the scenes of riot common in Hindley’s time were not now enacted within its walls.
但是房子内部在女性管理下已恢复了古老的舒适感,不再有类似亨德利时代的骚乱场景在墙内上演。 —

The master was too gloomy to seek companionship with any people, good or bad; and he is yet.
主人太忧郁,无论是好人还是坏人都不愿意与他交往;而他现在也是如此。

This, however, is not making progress with my story.
然而,这并没有为我的故事带来进展。 —

Miss Cathy rejected the peace-offering of the terrier, and demanded her own dogs, Charlie and Phoenix.
凯茜小姐拒绝了梳妆梳理梳理的和解,要求自己的狗,查理和凤凰。 —

They came limping and hanging their heads;
他们低着头,跛着腿, —

and we set out for home, sadly out of sorts, every one of us.
我们伤心地回家,每个人都心情不好。 —

I could not wring from my little lady how she had spent the day;
我无法从我的小姐那里得知她这一天是如何度过的, —

except that, as I supposed, the goal of her pilgrimage was Penistone Crags;
除了我所猜测的那样,她的朝圣目标是佩尼斯通岩层。 —

and she arrived without adventure to the gate of the farmhouse, when Hareton happened to issue forth, attended by some canine followers, who attacked her train.
她毫无冒险地赶到农舍的门前,这时哈瑞顿恰好出来,跟着一些狗从她的行装中袭击了她的随行人员。 —

They had a smart battle, before their owners could separate them:
在主人分开它们之前,它们进行了一场激烈的战斗, —

that formed an introduction.
这就是他们的首次见面。 —

Catherine told Hareton who she was, and where she was going;
凯瑟琳告诉哈瑞顿她是谁,她要去哪里, —

and asked him to show her the way: finally, beguiling him to accompany her.
要求他带她去:最后,骗着他陪她一起去。 —

He opened the mysteries of the Fairy Cave, and twenty other queer places.
他向她揭示了仙女洞和其他二十个奇怪的地方。 —

But, being in disgrace, I was not favoured with a description of the interesting objects she saw.
但是,由于我被贬斥,所以没能得到她所见有趣景物的描述。 —

I could gather, however, that her guide had been a favourite till she hurt his feelings by addressing him as a servant;
然而,我可以推测到,她的导游曾经是她的宠儿,直到她冒犯了他,当她把他称为佣人时; —

and Heathcliff’s housekeeper hurt hers by calling him her cousin.
而海斯克利夫的管家也冒犯了她,称他为她的表亲。那时, —

Then the language he had held to her rankled in her heart;
他向她使用的那种语言在她心中仍然痛苦; —

she who was always “love,” and “darling, ” and “queen,” and “angel, ” with everybody at the Grange, to be insulted so shockingly by a stranger!
在荒原小屋,她总是被每个人称为 “爱人”、”亲爱的”、”女王”、”天使”,却被一个陌生人如此冒犯! —

She did not comprehend it;
她无法理解这一点, —

and hard work I had to obtain a promise that she would not lay the grievance before her father.
而我费了很大努力才让她答应不向父亲抱怨这一委屈。 —

I explained how he objected to the whole household at the Heights, and how sorry he would be to find she had been there;
我解释了她父亲对荒原小屋的整个家庭的反感,以及如果他发现她曾经去过那里会多么伤心; —

but I insisted most on the fact, that if she revealed my negligence of his orders, he would perhaps be so angry that I should have to leave;
但我最强调的是,如果她披露了我对他的命令的疏忽,他可能会非常生气,我可能不得不离开; —

and Cathy couldn’t bear that prospect:
而凯茜无法忍受那种前景: —

she pledged her word, and kept it for my sake.
她答应了我,并为了我而遵守了承诺。 —

After all, she was a sweet little girl.
毕竟,她是一个可爱的小女孩。