A letter, edged with black, announced the day of my master’s return.
一封镶着黑边的信件宣布了我主人归来的日子。伊莎贝拉已经去世了; —

Isabella was dead;

and he wrote to bid me get mourning for his daughter, and arrange a room, and other accommodations, for his youthful nephew.
他写信让我为他的女儿穿孝,并为他年轻的侄子安排一个房间和其他住宿设施。 —

Catherine ran wild with joy at the idea of welcoming her father back;
凯瑟琳对迎接她父亲的想法兴奋不已; —

and indulged most sanguine anticipations of the innumerable excellencies of her “real” cousin.
她对她的”真正”表亲的无数优点抱有极高的期望。 —

The evening of their expected arrival came.
他们预计抵达的晚上终于来临了。 —

Since early morning she had been busy ordering her own small affairs;
从早上开始,她一直忙着安排自己的小事情; —

and now attired in her new black frock—poor thing!
现在穿着她的新黑色连衣裙-可怜的孩子! —

her aunt’s death impressed her with no definite sorrow—she obliged me, by constant worrying, to walk with her down through the grounds to meet them.
她姑妈去世并没有给她留下明确的悲伤-她不停地纠缠我,让我陪她走过庄园去迎接他们。

“Linton is just six months younger than I am, ” she chattered, as we strolled leisurely over the swells and hollows of mossy turf, under shadow of the trees.
“林顿比我小六个月,” 她喋喋不休地说着,当我们漫步在树荫下的波浪起伏的苔藓地上时。 —

“How delightful it will be to have him for a playfellow!
“有他作伴真是太美妙了! —

Aunt Isabella sent papa a beautiful lock of his hair;
伊莎贝拉姑妈给爸爸寄来了他的一缕漂亮的头发; —

it was lighter than mine—more flaxen, and quite as fine.
它比我的头发要浅一些——更金黄,而且一样细。 —

I have it carefully preserved in a little glass box;
我把它小心地保存在一个小玻璃盒里; —

and I’ve often thought what a pleasure it would be to see its owner. Oh!
我经常想见到它的主人是多么愉快啊。哦! —

I am happy—and papa, dear, dear papa! Come, Ellen, let us run! come, run.”
我很开心——爸爸,亲爱的,亲爱的爸爸!快来,埃伦,我们跑!快,跑。

She ran, and returned and ran again, many times before my sober footsteps reached the gate, and then she seated herself on the grassy bank beside the path, and tried to wait patiently;
她跑过,又跑回来,还跑了好几次,直到我步履沉重地走到大门口,然后她坐在路径旁的草坡上,竭力耐心地等待; —

but that was impossible: she couldn’t be still a minute.
但那是不可能的:她一分钟也不能安静。

“How long they are!” she exclaimed. “Ah, I see some dust on the road—they are coming! No!
“他们怎么这么久!”她叫道,“啊,我看到路上有些尘土——他们来了!不! —

When will they be here?
他们什么时候能到? —

May we not go a little way—half a mile, Ellen, only just half a mile?
我们能不能走一小段路——只有半英里,埃伦,只走到那个转角的桦树丛!” —

Do say yes, to that clump of birches at the turn!”
我坚决拒绝。最后,她的等待结束了:行驶的马车出现在视线中。

I refused staunchly. At length her suspense was ended:
凯茜小姐一看到父亲的脸从车窗中探出来, —

the travelling carriage rolled in sight.
就尖叫着伸出双臂。 —

Miss Cathy shrieked and stretched out her arms as soon as she caught her father’s face looking from the window.
Miss Cathy随即尖叫着伸出手臂,当她看到她爸爸的面孔从车窗探出来时。 —

He descended, nearly as eager as herself;
他下来了,几乎和她一样兴奋; —

and a considerable interval elapsed ere they had a thought to spare for any but themselves.
过了一段时间,除了他们自己,他们才有闲暇思考其他事情。 —

While they exchanged caresses I took a peep in to see after Linton.
当他们互相拥抱时,我偷偷看了一眼林顿的情况。 —

He was asleep in a corner, wrapped in a warm, fur-lined cloak, as if it had been winter.
他睡在角落里,裹着一件温暖的毛皮大衣,好像是冬天一样。 —

A pale, delicate, effeminate boy, who might have been taken for my master’s younger brother, so strong was the resemblance:
一个苍白、纤弱、娇嫩的男孩,他可能被误认为是我主人的弟弟,他们之间的相似之处非常明显: —

but there was a sickly peevishness in his aspect that Edgar Linton never had.
但他的表情中带着一种病态的怨念,而埃德加·林顿从来没有这样。 —

The latter saw me looking;
后者看到我在看着他; —

and having shaken hands, advised me to close the door, and leave him undisturbed;
握手后,他建议我关上门,让他不受打扰, —

for the journey had fatigued him.
因为旅途使他感到疲劳。 —

Cathy would fain have taken one glance, but her father told her to come, and they walked together up the park, while I hastened before to prepare the servants.
凯茜本想偷看一眼,但她父亲告诉她过来,他们一起走向公园,而我则前去准备仆人们。

“Now, darling,” said Mr. Linton, addressing his daughter, as they halted at the bottom of the front steps:
“亲爱的,”林顿先生对女儿说道,当他们在前门下停下来时说道: —

“your cousin is not so strong or so merry as you are, and he has lost his mother, remember, a very short time since;
“你的表弟不像你那样强壮和快乐,他在很短时间内失去了母亲; —

therefore, don’t expect him to play and run about with you directly.
因此,不要期望他立即和你一起玩耍和奔跑。 —

And don’t harass him much by talking:
不要多说话打扰他: —

let him be quiet this evening, at least, will you?”
至少今晚让他安静一下,好吗?”

“Yes, yes, papa,” answered Catherine:
“是的,爸爸,”凯瑟琳回答道: —

“but I do want to see him;
“但我真想见到他, —

and he hasn’t once looked out.”
他一次都没有出来看过。”

The carriage stopped; and the sleeper being roused, was lifted to the ground by his uncle.
马车停下来;被吵醒的沉睡者被他的叔叔抱起来放在地上。

“This is your cousin Cathy, Linton,” he said, putting their little hands together.
“这是你的表妹凯瑟琳,林顿,”他把他们的小手放在一起。 —

“She’s fond of you already;
“她已经喜欢你了; —

and mind you don’t grieve her by crying to-night.
请你别让她因为今晚哭泣而伤心。 —

Try to be cheerful now;
现在试着开心起来; —

the travelling is at an end, and you have nothing to do but rest and amuse yourself as you please.”
旅行结束了,你只需要休息和自由自在地娱乐自己。”

“Let me go to bed, then,” answered the boy, shrinking from Catherine’s salute;
“那我要上床睡觉了,”男孩回答道,躲开了凯瑟琳的问候; —

and he put his fingers to his eyes to remove incipient tears.
他用手指揉了揉眼睛,以摆脱即将流出的眼泪。

“Come, come, there’s a good child,” I whispered, leading him in. “You’ll make her weep too—see how sorry she is for you!”
“来,来,乖孩子,”我低声说道,领着他进来。“你也会让她流泪的——看看她对你是多么难过!”

I do not know whether it was sorrow for him, but his cousin put on as sad a countenance as himself, and returned to her father.
我不知道她是为他感到悲伤,但他的表妹脸上也带上了一副悲伤的表情,回到了她父亲那里。 —

All three entered, and mounted to the library, where tea was laid ready.
他们三人都进来了,直接上到了已经摆好的书房里享用茶水。 —

I proceeded to remove Linton’s cap and mantle, and placed him on a chair by the table;
我开始帮林顿脱去帽子和外套,然后将他放在桌子旁边的椅子上; —

but he was no sooner seated than he began to cry afresh. My master inquired what was the matter.
但是他一坐下就又开始哭泣起来。我的主人问出了问题。

“I can’t sit on a chair,” sobbed the boy.
“我不能坐在椅子上,”男孩抽泣着说道。

“Go to the sofa, then, and Ellen shall bring you some tea, ” answered his uncle patiently.
“那就去沙发上坐吧,艾伦会给你拿些茶水来的,”他的叔叔耐心地回答道。

He had been greatly tried, during the journey, I felt convinced, by his fretful ailing charge.
在旅途中,他受到了巨大的考验,从他焦躁不安的病弱孩子那里, —

Linton slowly trailed himself off, and lay down.
我确信不疑。林顿慢慢躺下来。 —

Cathy carried a footstool and her cup to his side.
凯茜抱着脚凳和杯子坐到他身边。 —

At first she sat silent;
一开始她保持沉默, —

but that could not last:
但那不可能持续下去: —

she had resolved to make a pet of her little cousin, as she would have him to be;
她决定把她的小表弟当作宠物,她希望他成为这样的存在; —

and she commenced stroking his curls, and kissing his cheek, and offering him tea in her saucer, like a baby.
她开始抚摸他的卷发,亲吻他的脸颊,用茶杯给他倒茶,就像对待一个婴儿。 —

This pleased him, for he was not much better:
这使他开心,因为他并没有好多少: —

he dried his eyes, and lightened into a faint smile.
他擦干眼泪,脸上露出了微弱的笑容。

“Oh, he’ll do very well, ” said the master to me, after watching them a minute.
“哦,他会好起来的,”主人对我说,看着他们一分钟后。 —

“Very well, if we can keep him, Ellen. The company of a child of his own age will instil new spirit into him soon, and by wishing for strength he’ll gain it.”
“如果我们能留住他,他会过得很好,艾伦。和他同龄的孩子的陪伴会很快为他注入新的活力,只要他渴望力量,他就会获得。”

“Ay, if we can keep him!” I mused to myself;
“是的,如果我们能留住他!”我沉思着自己, —

and sore misgivings came over me that there was slight hope of that.
我的内心充满了担忧,那样的事情几乎没有什么希望。 —

And then, I thought, how ever will that weakling live at Wuthering Heights?
然后,我想,那个虚弱的孩子将如何在呼啸山庄生存下去? —

Between his father and Hareton, what playmates and instructors they’ll be.
在她父亲和海顿之间,他们将成为玩伴和教师。 —

Our doubts were presently decided—even earlier than I expected.
我们的疑虑很快就得到了解决,甚至比我预期的还要早。 —

I had just taken the children upstairs, after tea was finished, and seen Linton asleep—he would not suffer me to leave him till that was the case—I had come down, and was standing by the table in the hall, lighting a bedroom candle for Mr. Edgar, when a maid stepped out of the kitchen and informed me that Mr. Heathcliff’s servant Joseph was at the door, and wished to speak with the master.
我刚刚把孩子们领上楼,茶后,看到林顿已经睡着了——他不让我离开他,直到他睡着为止——我下来了,在大厅的桌子旁边站着,给爱德加先生点了一支卧室用的蜡烛,这时,一个女仆走出厨房告诉我,希斯克利夫先生的仆人约瑟夫来了门口,想和主人说话。

“I shall ask him what he wants first, ” I said, in considerable trepidation.
“我先问问他想要什么”,我颤抖地说道。 —

“A very unlikely hour to be troubling people, and the instant they have returned from a long journey.
“这个时候真是令人费解,他们刚从长途旅行回来。” —

I don’t think the master can see him.”

Joseph had advanced through the kitchen as I uttered these words, and now presented himself in the hall.
“我觉得主人可能见不到他。” —

He was donned in his Sunday garments, with his most sanctimonious and sourest face, and, holding his hat in one hand, and his stick in the other, he proceeded to clean his shoes on the mat.
他身披周日的礼服,脸上带着最虔诚和最严肃的表情,一手拿着帽子,一手拿着拐杖,他开始在垫子上擦鞋。

“Good-evening, Joseph,” I said, coldly.
“晚上好,约瑟夫。”我冷冷地说道, —

“What business brings you here to-night?”
“你今晚来这里有什么事?”

“It’s Maister Linton I mun spake to, ” he answered, waving me disdainfully aside.
“我得和林顿先生说话,”他不屑地挥手打发我。

“Mr. Linton is going to bed;
“林顿先生快要睡觉了, —

unless you have something particular to say, I’m sure he won’t hear it now,” I continued.
除非你有什么特别要说的,他肯定不会现在听。”我继续说道。 —

“You had better sit down in there, and entrust your message to me.”
“你最好坐在那边,将你的消息交给我。”

“Which is his rahm?” pursued the fellow, surveying the range of closed doors.
“他的房间在哪里?”那个家伙继续打量着那排紧闭的门。

I perceived he was bent on refusing my mediation, so very reluctantly I went up to the library, and announced the unseasonable visitor, advising that he should be dismissed till next day.
我意识到他决意拒绝我的调解,所以非常不情愿地去了图书馆,宣布了这个不合时宜的访客,建议将他打发到明天再说。 —

Mr. Linton had no time to empower me to do so, for Joseph mounted close at my heels, and, pushing into the apartment, planted himself at the far side of the table, with his two fists clapped on the head of his stick, and began in an elevated tone, as if anticipating opposition—
林顿先生没有时间让我有能力这样做,因为约瑟夫紧随其后,推门进了房间,站在桌子的远端,他的两只拳头紧握在手杖的顶端,开始用高昂的语调说道,仿佛是在预料到会有反对意见——

“Hathecliff has sent me for his lad, and I munn’t goa back ’bout him.”
“哈瑟克派我来找他的孩子,我不能不带他回去。”

Edgar Linton was silent a minute;
埃德加·林顿沉默了一分钟; —

an expression of exceeding sorrow overcast his features:
一种极度悲伤的表情掠过他的脸庞: —

he would have pitied the child on his own account;
他本可以出于自身的原因同情这个孩子; —

but, recalling Isabella’s hopes and fears, and anxious wishes for her son, and her commendations of him to his care, he grieved bitterly at the prospect of yielding him up, and searched in his heart how it might be avoided.
但是,想起伊莎贝拉对他儿子的期望和担忧,以及她把他寄托给他的照顾的赞誉,他为不得不放弃他而痛苦不已,他在心里寻找着如何避免这一点。 —

No plan offered itself: the very exhibition of any desire to keep him would have rendered the claimant more peremptory:
没有任何计划提供给他:任何表达留住他的愿望的行为都会让索要孩子的人更加坚决: —

there was nothing left but to resign him. However, he was not going to rouse him from his sleep.
除了放弃他以外别无选择。然而,他并不打算把他从睡梦中唤醒。

“Tell Mr. Heathcliff,” he answered calmly, “that his son shall come to Wuthering Heights to-morrow.
“告诉希斯克利夫先生,”他平静地回答,“他的儿子明天将来到威瑟灵海茨庄园。 —

He is in bed, and too tired to go the distance now.
他现在躺在床上,太累了不能再走那么远的路。 —

You may also tell him that the mother of Linton desired him to remain under my guardianship;
你还可以告诉他,林顿的母亲希望他暂时留在我的监护下; —

and, at present, his health is very precarious.”
而且,目前他的健康状况非常不稳定。”

“Noa!” said Joseph, giving a thud with his prop on the floor, and assuming an authoritative air.
“不行!”约瑟夫说道,用手杖重重地敲击地板,摆出一副权威的姿态。“不行! —

“Noa! that means naught.
那什么也不代表。 —

Hathecliff maks noa ’count o’ t’ mother, nor ye norther;
希斯克利夫根本不在乎母亲,也不在乎你们,更不用说其他人了; —

but he’ll hev his lad; und I mun tak’ him—soa now ye knaw!”
但他会带上他的孩子;我得带他走,你现在知道了!”

“You shall not to-night!” answered Linton decisively.
“你今晚不能走!”林顿果断地回答道。 —

“Walk down stairs at once, and repeat to your master what I have said.
“立刻下楼,把我说的话重复给你的主人听。” —

Ellen, show him down. Go—”
“Ellen,请带他下去。走——”

And, aiding the indignant elder with a lift by the arm, he rid the room of him and closed the door.
然后,他拉着愤怒的老人的手臂帮助他离开了房间,并关闭了门。

“Varrah weell!” shouted Joseph, as he slowly drew off.
“好吧!”乔瑟夫大喊道,他慢慢地退后了一步。 —

“To-morn, he’s come hisseln, and thrust him out, if ye darr!”
“明天,他自己会来,并把他赶出去,如果你敢!”