Summer was already past its prime, when Edgar reluctantly yielded his assent to their entreaties, and Catherine and I set out on our first ride to join her cousin.
夏天已经过了巅峰,埃德加不情愿地同意了他们的请求,凯瑟琳和我出发骑马去见她的表弟。 —

It was a close, sultry day: devoid of sunshine, but with a sky too dappled and hazy to threaten rain:
这是一个闷热的天气,没有阳光,但天空太斑斓、朦胧,不会下雨。 —

and our place of meeting had been fixed at the guide-stone, by the cross-roads.
我们约定的地点是十字路口的指示牌旁边。 —

On arriving there, however, a little herd-boy, despatched as a messenger, told us that, —“Maister Linton wer just o’ this side th’ Heights:
然而,一位小牧童作为信使告诉我们,“林顿先生就在这边的高地上,他希望我们再往前走一点。” —

and he’d be mitch obleeged to us to gang on a bit further.”
“那林顿先生已经忘记了他叔叔的第一个命令,”我说道,“他要我们留在农舍的土地上,而我们却一开始就离开了。”

“Then Master Linton has forgot the first injunction of his uncle, ” I observed:
“好吧,当我们找到他时,我们就把马的头转向回家的方向,”我的同伴回答说,“我们的旅行将会朝着家的方向进行。” —

“he bid us keep on the Grange land, and here we are off at once.”
但是当我们找到他时,距离他自己的门还不到四分之一英里的地方,我们发现他没有马。

“Well, we’ll turn our horses’ heads round when we reach him, ” answered my companion;
“我们会在找到他后把马头转回来的,”我的同伴回答道, —

“our excursion shall lie towards home.”
“我们的旅行将会朝着家的方向进行。”

But when we reached him, and that was scarcely a quarter of a mile from his own door, we found he had no horse;
但是当我们找到他时,距离他自己的门还不到四分之一英里的地方,我们发现他没有马。 —

and we were forced to dismount, and leave ours to graze.
我们被迫下马,让马自己吃草。 —

He lay on the heath, awaiting our approach, and did not rise till we came within a few yards.
他躺在荒地上,等待我们的靠近,直到我们走到几码远他才站起来。 —

Then he walked so feebly, and looked so pale, that I immediately exclaimed,—“Why, Master Heathcliff, you are not fit for enjoying a ramble this morning.
这时他走路很虚弱,脸色苍白,我立刻惊呼道:“噢,希瑟克里夫先生,你今天根本没法去漫步。 —

How ill you do look!”
你看上去好病态!”

Catherine surveyed him with grief and astonishment:
凯瑟琳愕然地看着他,悲痛满怀。 —

she changed the ejaculation of joy on her lips to one of alarm;
她原本欣喜地要说的话变成了惊慌的呼喊; —

and the congratulation on their long-postponed meeting to an anxious inquiry, whether he were worse than usual?
而那本应是对他们期待已久的重逢的庆贺,却变成了焦急地询问,他是否比以往更糟糕?

“No—better—better!” he panted, trembling, and retaining her hand as if he needed its support, while his large blue eyes wandered timidly over her;
“不,我好些了,好些了!”他气喘吁吁地回答,颤抖着,牢牢握住她的手,仿佛需要她的支持,同时他惶恐地用那一双蓝得发亮的大眼睛害羞地打量着她; —

the hollowness round them transforming to haggard wildness the languid expression they once possessed.
那眼眸周围的空洞使得曾经顾盼神采的眼神变得憔悴野性。

“But you have been worse,” persisted his cousin;
“但你以前病得更严重,”他的表亲坚持道, —

“worse than when I saw you last;
“比上次我见你时还要糟糕; —

you are thinner, and—”
你现在更瘦了,而且—”

“I’m tired,” he interrupted, hurriedly.
“我累了,”他中断地匆匆说道, —

“It is too hot for walking, let us rest here.
“天气太热,让我们在这里休息一下。” —

And, in the morning, I often feel sick—papa says I grow so fast.”
“而且,早上,我经常感到恶心——爸爸说我长得太快了。”

Badly satisfied, Cathy sat down, and he reclined beside her.
凯西坐下来,他在她身旁躺下。

“This is something like your paradise, ” said she, making an effort at cheerfulness.
“这有些像你的天堂,”她试图开朗地说道。 —

“You recollect the two days we agreed to spend in the place and way each thought pleasantest?
“你记得我们约定的两天,每个人都可以选择自己认为最愉快的方式和地方吧? —

This is nearly yours, only there are clouds;
这几乎是你的方式,只是有云; —

but then they are so soft and mellow:
是它们是那么柔软和温和: —

it is nicer than sunshine.
比阳光更美好。 —

Next week, if you can, we’ll ride down to the Grange Park, and try mine.”
下周如果你可以的话,我们去格兰治庄园,试试我的方式。”

Linton did not appear to remember what she talked of;
林顿似乎不记得她说的是什么, —

and he had evidently great difficulty in sustaining any kind of conversation.
很明显他很困难地维持任何形式的对话。 —

His lack of interest in the subjects she started, and his equal incapacity to contribute to her entertainment, were so obvious that she could not conceal her disappointment.
他对她提出的话题缺乏兴趣,也没有能力为她的娱乐做出贡献,这一切都是显而易见的,凯西无法掩饰自己的失望。 —

An indefinite alteration had come over his whole person and manner.
他整个人和举止都产生了一种不确定的变化。 —

The pettishness that might be caressed into fondness, had yielded to a listless apathy;
令人生厌的小气心情逐渐转化为漠不关心的冷淡; —

there was less of the peevish temper of a child which frets and teases on purpose to be soothed, and more of the self-absorbed moroseness of a confirmed invalid, repelling consolation, and ready to regard the good-humoured mirth of others as an insult.
她不再像一个恶意捉弄别人然后希望得到安慰的孩子那样易怒,而变得更像一个沉溺于自己的病弱之中的人,对安慰充耳不闻,准备将他人友好的欢笑视为侮辱。 —

Catherine perceived, as well as I did, that he held it rather a punishment, than a gratification, to endure our company;
不论我还是凯瑟琳都看得出来,他对我们的陪伴并不是一种享受,而更像是一种惩罚; —

and she made no scruple of proposing, presently, to depart.
她毫不犹豫地提议立即离开。 —

That proposal, unexpectedly, roused Linton from his lethargy, and threw him into a strange state of agitation.
这个提议出乎意料地唤醒了林顿的昏睡,并使他陷入了奇怪的激动状态。 —

He glanced fearfully towards the Heights, begging she would remain another half-hour, at least.
他恐惧地朝着山峰瞥了一眼,恳求她至少再呆上半个小时。

“But I think,” said Cathy, “you’d be more comfortable at home than sitting here;
“但是我想,”凯西说,“你在家里会比坐在这里更舒服; —

and I cannot amuse you to-day, I see, by my tales, and songs, and chatter: you have grown wiser than I, in these six months;
而我今天看来无法通过我的故事、歌曲和闲聊来取悦你:在这六个月里,你比我更聪明了; —

you have little taste for my diversions now: or else, if I could amuse you, I’d willingly stay.”
你现在对我的娱乐没有多少兴趣:或者如果我能取悦你,我愿意待下去。”

“Stay to rest yourself,” he replied. “And, Catherine, don’t think or say that I’m very unwell:
“留下来休息吧,”他回答道。“凯瑟琳,不要认为或说我病得很厉害: —

it is the heavy weather and heat that make me dull;
是这种恶劣的天气和炎热使我变得迟钝; —

and I walked about, before you came, a great deal for me.
在你来之前,我在周围走了很多路对我来说。 —

Tell uncle I’m in tolerable health, will you?”
请告诉叔叔我健康还不错,好吗?”

“I’ll tell him that you say so, Linton.
“我会告诉他你这么说,林顿。 —

I couldn’t affirm that you are, ” observed my young lady, wondering at his pertinacious assertion of what was evidently an untruth.
我不能断言你真的是这样。”我的小姐觉得奇怪,对他显然的谎言的坚持感到困惑。

“And be here again next Thursday, ” continued he, shunning her puzzled gaze.
“下周四再回来,”他继续说,避开了她困惑的目光。 —

“And give him my thanks for permitting you to come—my best thanks, Catherine.
“还有,告诉他谢谢他允许你来——我的最好的谢意,凯瑟琳。 —

And—and, if you did meet my father, and he asked you about me, don’t lead him to suppose that I’ve been extremely silent and stupid:
“如果你真的遇到了我父亲,他问起我,别让他以为我一直都很沉默和愚笨:别像你现在这样悲伤和沮丧,他会生气的。” —

don’t look sad and downcast, as you are doing—he’ll be angry.”
“我不在乎他的愤怒,”凯蒂喊道,以为自己会成为它的目标。

“I care nothing for his anger, ” exclaimed Cathy, imagining she would be its object.
“可是我在乎,”她的表兄颤抖着说。“不要惹他对我恼怒,凯瑟琳,因为他非常严厉。”

“But I do,” said her cousin, shuddering.
“他对你很严厉吗,希思克利夫先生? —

Don’t provoke him against me, Catherine, for he is very hard.”
”我问。“他对纵容厌倦了吗,从消极转为主动的仇恨了吗?”

“Is he severe to you, Master Heathcliff?” I inquired.
“我对他的愤怒不在意, —

“Has he grown weary of indulgence, and passed from passive to active hatred?”
”凯西喊道,认为自己会成为它的对象。

Linton looked at me, but did not answer; and, after keeping her seat by his side another ten minutes, during which his head fell drowsily on his breast, and he uttered nothing except suppressed moans of exhaustion or pain, Cathy began to seek solace in looking for bilberries, and sharing the produce of her researches with me:
林顿看着我,但没有回答;在他旁边坐了另外十分钟之后,他的头昏昏欲睡地垂在胸前,除了憋住的疲惫或疼痛的呻吟声外,他没有说任何话,凯茜开始寻求慰藉,找了些趁手的越橘,并与我分享她的收获。 —

she did not offer them to him, for she saw further notice would only weary and annoy.
她没有给他,因为她意识到再给他留意只会让他烦恼和厌烦。

“Is it half-an-hour now, Ellen?
“现在已经半个小时了,艾伦, —

” she whispered in my ear, at last.
”她终于在我耳边低声说道。 —

“I can’t tell why we should stay.
“我不知道为什么我们要留下来。 —

He’s asleep, and papa will be wanting us back.”
他睡着了,爸爸会想我们回去的。”

“Well, we must not leave him asleep,” I answered;
“嗯,我们不能让他一直睡着,”我回答道, —

“wait till he wakes, and be patient.
“等他醒来,耐心点。 —

You were mighty eager to set off, but your longing to see poor Linton has soon evaporated!”
你过去急着出发,但你见到可怜的林顿的渴望很快就消失了!”

“Why did he wish to see me?” returned Catherine.
“他为什么要见我呢?”凯瑟琳回答道。 —

“In his crossest humours, formerly, I liked him better than I do in his present curious mood.
“以前在他最暴躁的情绪中,我更喜欢他,而现在他这奇怪的心情我不那么喜欢他了。” —

It’s just as if it were a task he was compelled to perform—this interview—for fear his father should scold him.
这个采访就像是他被迫去完成的任务—因为害怕他的父亲责骂他。 —

But I’m hardly going to come to give Mr. Heathcliff pleasure;
但是我不太可能去给希斯克里夫先生带来快乐; —

whatever reason he may have for ordering Linton to undergo this penance.
他命令林顿接受这种苦修,他可能有自己的原因。 —

And, though I’m glad he’s better in health, I’m sorry he’s so much less pleasant, and so much less affectionate to me.”
虽然我很高兴他的身体好了些,但是我很遗憾他变得不那么愉快,对我也不那么亲近了。

“You think he is better in health, then?” I said.
“那你觉得他的身体好些了吗?”我问。

“Yes,” she answered; “because he always made such a great deal of his sufferings, you know.
“是的,”她回答道,”因为他总是过分夸大自己的痛苦,你知道的。 —

He is not tolerably well, as he told me to tell papa;
他并不像他告诉我要告诉爸爸的那样身体还好, —

but he’s better, very likely.”
但是可能好些了。”

“There you differ with me, Miss Cathy,” I remarked;
“在这一点上,你和我意见不合,凯蒂小姐,” —

“I should conjecture him to be far worse.”
我说,”我猜想他的情况可能更糟糕。”

Linton here started from his slumber in bewildered terror, and asked if any one had called his name.
林顿从可怕的恐惧中从睡梦中惊醒,问有没有人叫他的名字。

“No,” said Catherine; “unless in dreams.
“没有,”凯瑟琳说,”除非在梦里。 —

I cannot conceive how you manage to doze out of doors, in the morning.”
我无法理解你怎么能够在户外打盹,还是在早晨。”

“I thought I heard my father,” he gasped, glancing up to the frowning nab above us.
“我以为是我父亲在说话,”他喘着气说道,抬头看见我们上方一脸愁容的邻居。 —

“You are sure nobody spoke?”
“你确定没有人说话吗?”

“Quite sure,” replied his cousin.
“非常确定。”他的堂兄回答道。 —

“Only Ellen and I were disputing concerning your health.
“只是艾伦和我在争论你的健康状况。” —

Are you truly stronger, Linton, than when we separated in winter?
“林顿,你现在真的比我们冬天分开时更强壮吗?” —

If you be, I’m certain one thing is not stronger—your regard for me:
“如果是的话,我可以确定有一件事没有变得更强壮——你对我的感情: —

speak,—are you?”
说吧,你有吗?”

The tears gushed from Linton’s eyes as he answered, “Yes, yes, I am!
林顿的眼泪夺眶而出,他回答道:“是的,是的,我有!” —

” And, still under the spell of the imaginary voice, his gaze wandered up and down to detect its owner.
还在虚幻声音的引导下,他的目光上下游荡,试图找出声音的主人。

Cathy rose. “For to-day we must part,” she said.
凯蒂站了起来。“今天我们必须分开了,”她说。 —

“And I won’t conceal that I have been sadly disappointed with our meeting;
“我不会对除了你以外的任何人提起我对我们的会面感到非常失望; —

though I’ll mention it to nobody but you:
虽然我不怕希斯克利夫先生。 —

not that I stand in awe of Mr. Heathcliff.”

“Hush,” murmured Linton; “for God’s sake, hush!
“嘘,”林顿低声说道。“求你了,别说话! —

He’s coming.” And he clung to Catherine’s arm, striving to detain her;
他来了。”他紧紧抓住凯瑟琳的胳膊,试图留住她。 —

but at that announcement she hastily disengaged herself, and whistled to Minny, who obeyed her like a dog.
但是在那个宣布后她匆忙解脱开并吹口哨叫小狗敏尼,它像狗一样服从她。

“I’ll be here next Thursday,” she cried, springing to the saddle.
“我下周四会在这里,” 她喊着跳上马鞍,”再见。 —

“Good-bye. Quick, Ellen!”
快点,艾伦!”

And so we left him, scarcely conscious of our departure, so absorbed was he in anticipating his father’s approach.
于是我们离开了他,他几乎没有察觉到我们的离开,他全神贯注地期待着父亲的到来。

Before we reached home, Catherine’s displeasure softened into a perplexed sensation of pity and regret, largely blended with vague, uneasy doubts about Linton’s actual circumstances, physical and social:
在我们回到家之前,凯瑟琳的不悦转变成了一种烦恼、懊悔的感觉,其中夹杂着对林顿实际情况(包括身体和社交方面)的模糊而不安的怀疑: —

in which I partook, though I counselled her not to say much;
虽然我劝她不要说太多,但我们还是分享了这次经历, —

for a second journey would make us better judges.
因为进行第二次旅行将使我们更好地评判。 —

My master requested an account of our ongoings.
我的主人要求我们说明我们的行动。 —

His nephew’s offering of thanks was duly delivered, Miss Cathy gently touching on the rest:
他侄子的感谢之意已经传达了,凯蒂小姐轻轻点了其他事情: —

I also threw little light on his inquiries, for I hardly knew what to hide and what to reveal.
对于他的询问,我也没有提供太多线索,因为我几乎不知道该隐瞒什么,该透露什么。