Summer drew to an end, and early autumn:
夏日渐渐过去,初秋已至, —

it was past Michaelmas, but the harvest was late that year, and a few of our fields were still uncleared.
过了圣米迦勒节,但今年的收成晚了些,仍有几片田地尚未清理干净。 —

Mr. Linton and his daughter would frequently walk out among the reapers;
林顿先生和他的女儿经常在收割者中间散步; —

at the carrying of the last sheaves they stayed till dusk, and the evening happening to be chill and damp, my master caught a bad cold, that settled obstinately on his lungs, and confined him indoors throughout the whole of the winter, nearly without intermission.
在最后一束禾捆被运出场地的时候,他们一直等到黄昏,而那天的天气偏冷又潮湿,我的主人感冒得厉害,且一整个冬季几乎都待在室内。

Poor Cathy, frightened from her little romance, had been considerably sadder and duller since its abandonment;
可怜的凯茜因为她的小罗曼史被吓坏了,自此变得更加悲伤和沉闷; —

and her father insisted on her reading less, and taking more exercise.
她父亲坚持让她读书时间少点,多锻炼身体。 —

She had his companionship no longer;
她再也没有与他相伴; —

I esteemed it a duty to supply its lack, as much as possible, with mine:
我感觉应该尽量弥补她失去的陪伴,但作为替代者并不够好; —

an inefficient substitute;

for I could only spare two or three hours, from my numerous diurnal occupations, to follow her footsteps, and then my society was obviously less desirable than his.
因为我只能从我诸多的日常事务中抽出两三个小时去跟在她的身后,而且我的陪伴明显比不上她父亲。

On an afternoon in October, or the beginning of November—a fresh watery afternoon, when the turf and paths were rustling with moist, withered leaves, and the cold blue sky was half hidden by clouds—dark grey streamers, rapidly mounting from the west, and boding abundant rain—I requested my young lady to forego her ramble, because I was certain of showers.
一个十月的下午,或者十一月初的时候,一个新鲜而潮湿的下午,在这个下午,满地的草坪和小径上都是沙沙作响的潮湿枯叶,寒冷的蓝天被云朵掩盖了一半,从西方迅速升起的暗灰色条带预示着即将下雨。我请求我的小姐放弃她的漫游,因为我确信会下雨。 —

She refused; and I unwillingly donned a cloak, and took my umbrella to accompany her on a stroll to the bottom of the park:
她拒绝了,我不情愿地穿上披风,带着伞陪她散步到公园底部。 —

a formal walk which she generally affected if low-spirited—and that she invariably was when Mr. Edgar had been worse than ordinary, a thing never known from his confession, but guessed both by her and me from his increased silence and the melancholy of his countenance.
一个正规的步行道,如果她情绪低落时,她经常会走这条路——她和我都能从他不寻常的安静和忧郁的表情中猜到这一点,虽然他从来没有承认过。 —

She went sadly on: there was no running or bounding now, though the chill wind might well have tempted her to race.
她悲伤地继续着,现在没有奔跑或蹦跳的样子,尽管寒冷的风可能会引诱她奔跑。 —

And often, from the side of my eye, I could detect her raising a hand, and brushing something off her cheek.
我经常可以从侧眼看到她抬手,擦拭着脸颊上的什么东西。 —

I gazed round for a means of diverting her thoughts.
我四处张望,寻找一个办法来转移她的注意力。 —

On one side of the road rose a high, rough bank, where hazels and stunted oaks, with their roots half exposed, held uncertain tenure:
在马路的一侧,有一座高高的、崎岖的土堆,那里生长着榛子树和根部半露出地面的矮橡树,它们生长得并不牢固。 —

the soil was too loose for the latter;
对于后者来说,土壤太松散了; —

and strong winds had blown some nearly horizontal.
而强风则把一些橡树吹得几乎是水平的。 —

In summer Miss Catherine delighted to climb along these trunks, and sit in the branches, swinging twenty feet above the ground;
在夏天,凯瑟琳小姐喜欢爬上这些树干,坐在树枝上,离地面有二十英尺的高度摇摆不停。 —

and I, pleased with her agility and her light, childish heart, still considered it proper to scold every time I caught her at such an elevation, but so that she knew there was no necessity for descending.
而我,对她的灵活和她那轻快的孩子气十分欣赏,仍然觉得每次看到她爬得这么高都应该责备她,但她知道没有必要下来。 —

From dinner to tea she would lie in her breeze-rocked cradle, doing nothing except singing old songs—my nursery lore—to herself, or watching the birds, joint tenants, feed and entice their young ones to fly:
从午饭到茶点,她就躺在摇椅里,什么都不做,只是对着自己唱着我小时候学过的歌曲,或者看着那些共同居住的鸟儿喂食并引诱它们的小鸟飞翔。 —

or nestling with closed lids, half thinking, half dreaming, happier than words can express.
或者她闭上眼睛,半思半梦地依偎着,比语言能表达的还要快乐。

“Look, Miss!” I exclaimed, pointing to a nook under the roots of one twisted tree.
“瞧,小姐!”我惊叫道,指着一个扭曲树根下的一处角落。 —

“Winter is not here yet.
“冬天还没有来呢。 —

There’s a little flower up yonder, the last bud from the multitude of bluebells that clouded those turf steps in July with a lilac mist.
那儿有一朵小花,是七月时那一片紫色雾气般的群生蓝铃花留下的最后一个蓓蕾。 —

Will you clamber up, and pluck it to show to papa?”
你能够爬上去,摘下它给爸爸看吗?”

Cathy stared a long time at the lonely blossom trembling in its earthy shelter, and replied, at length—“No, I’ll not touch it:
凯茜长时间地盯着孤单的花朵,在它泥土栖身的地方颤抖,最后回答道——“不,我不会碰它: —

but it looks melancholy, does it not, Ellen?”
但它看起来悲伤,不是吗,埃伦?”

“Yes,” I observed, “about as starved and sackless as you:
“是的,”我观察着,“几乎像你一样瘦骨嶙峋: —

your cheeks are bloodless;
你的脸颊没有血色; —

let us take hold of hands and run. You’re so low, I daresay I shall keep up with you.”
我们手牵手跑吧。你这么瘦小,我想我可以跟得上你。”

“No,” she repeated, and continued sauntering on, pausing at intervals to muse over a bit of moss, or a tuft of blanched grass, or a fungus spreading its bright orange among the heaps of brown foliage;
“不,”她重复着,继续闲逛,时不时地停下来凝视一丛苔藓,或者一簇发白的草,或者一片在一堆褐色落叶中张扬其明亮橙色的菌类; —

and, ever and anon, her hand was lifted to her averted face.
而且,不时她的手抬向了她背过去的脸。

“Catherine, why are you crying, love?” I asked, approaching and putting my arm over her shoulder.
“凯瑟琳,亲爱的,你为什么哭?”我走过去,搭在她肩上。 —

“You mustn’t cry because papa has a cold;
“爸爸只是感冒,你不能哭, —

be thankful it is nothing worse.”
庆幸事情没有更糟。”

She now put no further restraint on her tears;
她再也忍不住眼泪, —

her breath was stifled by sobs.
呜咽声阻塞了她的呼吸。

“Oh, it will be something worse,” she said.
“哦,会更糟的,”她说。 —

“And what shall I do when papa and you leave me, and I am by myself?
“当爸爸和你离开我,我独自一人时,我该怎么办? —

I can’t forget your words, Ellen;
我无法忘记你的话,艾伦; —

they are always in my ear.
它们总在我耳边回荡。 —

How life will be changed, how dreary the world will be, when papa and you are dead.”
当爸爸和你死去时,生活将会改变,世界会变得多么凄凉。”

“None can tell whether you won’t die before us, ” I replied. “It’s wrong to anticipate evil.
“没有人能知道你们不会比我们先走。”我回答道。“预想邪恶是错误的。 —

We’ll hope there are years and years to come before any of us go:
我们会希望在我们离开之前还有很多年:主人年轻, —

master is young, and I am strong, and hardly forty-five.
而我身强体壮,还不过四十五岁。” —

My mother lived till eighty, a canty dame to the last.
我的母亲活到八十岁,一直是一个快乐的女士。 —

And suppose Mr. Linton were spared till he saw sixty, that would be more years than you have counted, Miss. And would it not be foolish to mourn a calamity above twenty years beforehand?”
假设林顿先生能活到六十岁,那将比你数过的岁数还要多,小姐。提前二十年为一场灾难而哀悼难道不是愚蠢的吗?

“But Aunt Isabella was younger than papa,” she remarked, gazing up with timid hope to seek further consolation.
“但伊莎贝拉姨妈比爸爸年轻”,她提到,满怀希望地向上看,寻求更多的安慰。

“Aunt Isabella had not you and me to nurse her, ” I replied. “She wasn’t as happy as Master:
“伊莎贝拉姨妈没有你和我来照顾她”,我回答道,“她没有主人那么快乐, —

she hadn’t as much to live for.
她没有那么多值得活下去的事情。 —

All you need do, is to wait well on your father, and cheer him by letting him see you cheerful;
你需要做的就是照顾好父亲,用你的快乐来激励他;避免让他对任何事情感到担忧:记住这点,凯茜!我不否认如果你放纵自己,对父亲毫无顾忌,对一个希望他死去的人的儿子怀有愚蠢而离奇的情感, —

and avoid giving him anxiety on any subject:
你可能会害死他;而且让他知道你为了他决策的分离而伤心。 —

mind that, Cathy! I’ll not disguise but you might kill him if you were wild and reckless, and cherished a foolish, fanciful affection for the son of a person who would be glad to have him in his grave;
并且让他发现你为了他决策的分离而伤心。 —

and allowed him to discover that you fretted over the separation he has judged it expedient to make.”
你只需要好好照顾你的父亲,让他看到你快乐的样子,不给他任何忧虑:记住这点,凯茜!我不否认如果你放纵自己,对父亲毫无顾忌,对一个希望他死去的人的儿子怀有愚蠢而离奇的情感,你可能会害死他;而且让他发现你为了他决策的分离而伤心。

“I fret about nothing on earth except papa’s illness, ” answered my companion.
“除了爸爸的病情,我对地球上的任何事情都不担心,”我的伴侣回答道。 —

“I care for nothing in comparison with papa.
“与爸爸相比,我对任何事情都不关心。 —

And I’ll never—never—oh, never, while I have my senses, do an act or say a word to vex him.
“只要我有理智,我永远不会做出伤害他的行为或说出伤害他的话。 —

I love him better than myself, Ellen;
我比自己更爱他,艾伦; —

and I know it by this: I pray every night that I may live after him;
我从每晚的祈祷中可以得知:我希望在他之后能够活下来; —

because I would rather be miserable than that he should be:
因为我宁愿自己不快乐,也不愿他不快乐: —

that proves I love him better than myself.”
这证明了我比自己更爱他。”

“Good words,” I replied.
“言之凿凿,”我回答道。 —

“But deeds must prove it also;
“但行动也必须证明; —

and after he is well, remember you don’t forget resolutions formed in the hour of fear.”
在他康复后,记得不要忘记在恐惧时做下的决定。”

As we talked, we neared a door that opened on the road;
当我们谈话时, —

and my young lady, lightening into sunshine again, climbed up and seated herself on the top of the wall, reaching over to gather some hips that bloomed scarlet on the summit branches of the wild-rose trees shadowing the highway side:
我们靠近一扇通向马路的门。我的小姐恢复了阳光般的笑容,爬上墙顶,伸手去摘一些开在野玫瑰树顶层枝条上的红果子。 —

the lower fruit had disappeared, but only birds could touch the upper, except from Cathy’s present station.
下面的水果已经消失了,只有鸟儿可以触摸上面的水果,除了凯西所在的位置。 —

In stretching to pull them, her hat fell off;
为了拉住水果,她伸手去拉, —

and as the door was locked, she proposed scrambling down to recover it.
帽子掉了下来;由于门锁着,她提议爬下去拿回来。 —

I bid her be cautious lest she got a fall, and she nimbly disappeared.
我告诫她小心别摔倒,她迅速消失了。但是回来就没那么容易了:石头光滑而整齐, —

But the return was no such easy matter:
玫瑰丛和黑莓杂草也无法提供帮助来爬上去。 —

the stones were smooth and neatly cemented, and the rosebushes and blackberry stragglers could yield no assistance in re-ascending.
我像个傻瓜一样,直到听到她笑着喊道:“艾伦!你得去拿钥匙,要不我得绕到门房去。我无法从这边攀登城墙!” —

I, like a fool, didn’t recollect that, till I heard her laughing and exclaiming—“Ellen!
我回答道:“待在你那儿。”我在口袋里拿出一束钥匙,也许我可以成功地打开它;如果不行,我就去。” —

you’ll have to fetch the key, or else I must run round to the porter’s lodge.
凯瑟琳在门前蹦蹦跳跳地自娱自乐,而我则一一尝试所有的大钥匙。 —

I can’t scale the ramparts on this side!”
我把剩下的都试了试,没有一个能打开那个锁,当我看到枯叶上的某个黑点时,我的心在跳动。

“Stay where you are,” I answered;
我找到了适合尝试的一把小钥匙, —

“I have my bundle of keys in my pocket:

perhaps I may manage to open it;
它正好合适地插入了锁孔。 —

if not, I’ll go.”

Catherine amused herself with dancing to and fro before the door, while I tried all the large keys in succession.
我轻轻地转动钥匙,门悄然无声地打开了。同时,凯瑟琳也从黑暗中出现了,笑得发痉了。 —

I had applied the last, and found that none would do; so, repeating my desire that she would remain there, I was about to hurry home as fast as I could, when an approaching sound arrested me.
我已经申请了最后一个,发现没有一个能够满足我的要求;所以,在我重申她应该留在那里的要求后,我正准备尽快回家,这时一个接近的声音阻止了我。 —

It was the trot of a horse; Cathy’s dance stopped also.
那是一匹马的慢跑声;凯茜的舞蹈也停止了。

“Who is that?” I whispered.
“那是谁?”我小声问道。

“Ellen, I wish you could open the door, ” whispered back my companion, anxiously.
“埃伦,我希望你能开门,” 我的伙伴焦虑地回答。

“Ho, Miss Linton!” cried a deep voice (the rider’s), “I’m glad to meet you.
“嗨,林顿小姐!”一个深沉的声音喊道(骑士的声音),” 很高兴见到你。 —

Don’t be in haste to enter, for I have an explanation to ask and obtain.”
不要急着进来,因为我有一个要求和解释要问你并得到答复。”

“I sha’n’t speak to you, Mr. Heathcliff,” answered Catherine.
“我不会跟你说话,希斯克利夫先生,”凯瑟琳回答道。 —

“Papa says you are a wicked man, and you hate both him and me;
“爸爸说你是个坏人,你既讨厌他又讨厌我; —

and Ellen says the same.”
埃伦也是这么说的。”

“That is nothing to the purpose,” said Heathcliff.
“这与本质无关,”希斯克利夫说。 —

(He it was.) “I don’t hate my son, I suppose;
(就是他)“我想我并不讨厌我的儿子; —

and it is concerning him that I demand your attention.
而且我要求你关注的正是他。是的, —

Yes; you have cause to blush.
你有理由脸红。 —

Two or three months since, were you not in the habit of writing to Linton?
大约两三个月前,你不是常常给林顿写信吗? —

making love in play, eh? You deserved, both of you, flogging for that!
在玩乐中表达爱意,对吗?你们两个都该挨打! —

You especially, the elder;
尤其是你,年长些, —

and less sensitive, as it turns out.
反应较迟钝。 —

I’ve got your letters, and if you give me any pertness I’ll send them to your father.
我有你的信,如果你对我无礼,我会把它们寄给你父亲。 —

I presume you grew weary of the amusement and dropped it, didn’t you? Well, you dropped Linton with it into a Slough of Despond.
我猜你对这种娱乐感到厌倦了,然后就放弃了,是吧?好吧,你把林顿也一并抛入了绝望泥潭。 —

He was in earnest:
他是认真的: —

in love, really. As true as I live, he’s dying for you;
真心地爱着你。我敢说,他为你而痛苦, —

breaking his heart at your fickleness:
你的变化让他心碎:不仅仅是象征性地, —

not figuratively, but actually.
真的是真真实实地。 —

Though Hareton has made him a standing jest for six weeks, and I have used more serious measures, and attempted to frighten him out of his idiocy, he gets worse daily;
虽然Hareton已经成为他六周来的笑柄,而我采用了更严厉的措施,试图吓唬他摆脱他的愚蠢,但他每天都变得更糟; —

and he’ll be under the sod before summer, unless you restore him!”
而且如果你不救他,他在夏天之前就会躺在坟墓里了!”

“How can you lie so glaringly to the poor child?
“你怎么能对这可怜的孩子说这样明目张胆的谎言? —

” I called from the inside.
”我从里面喊道。 —

“Pray ride on!
“请继续骑马走! —

How can you deliberately get up such paltry falsehoods?
你怎么能故意编造如此不起眼的谎言呢? —

Miss Cathy, I’ll knock the lock off with a stone:
凯瑟琳小姐,我要用石头打破锁: —

you won’t believe that vile nonsense.
你不会相信那种恶俗的胡言乱语的。 —

You can feel in yourself it is impossible that a person should die for love of a stranger.”
你可以从自身感受到,一个人为了一个陌生人而死是不可能的。”

“I was not aware there were eavesdroppers, ” muttered the detected villain.
“我没有意识到有人在偷听,”被发现的恶棍低声嘟囔道。 —

“Worthy Mrs. Dean, I like you, but I don’t like your double-dealing, ” he added aloud.
“可敬的迪恩夫人,我喜欢你,但我不喜欢你的口是心非,”他大声补充道。 —

“How could you lie so glaringly as to affirm I hated the ‘poor child’?
“你怎么敢如此明目张胆地说我恨那个‘可怜的孩子’? —

and invent bugbear stories to terrify her from my door-stones?
并且编造一些吓唬她离开我门前的鬼话? —

Catherine Linton (the very name warms me), my bonny lass, I shall be from home all this week;
凯瑟琳·林顿(这个名字让我感觉温暖),我的美丽女孩,我这一周都不在家, —

go and see if I have not spoken truth:
去看看我是否说实话。 —

do, there’s a darling! Just imagine your father in my place, and Linton in yours;
来吧,亲爱的!想象一下你的父亲在我的位置,林顿在你的位置; —

then think how you would value your careless lover if he refused to stir a step to comfort you, when your father himself entreated him;
然后想象一下,如果你的粗心恋人拒绝一步都不愿前进来安慰你,即使你的父亲亲自恳求他,你会如何珍惜他? —

and don’t, from pure stupidity, fall into the same error.
并且出于纯粹的愚蠢而不要犯同样的错误。我发誓, —

I swear, on my salvation, he’s going to his grave, and none but you can save him!”
在我救赎之赛上,他快要走向坟墓,除了你,没有人能救他!”

The lock gave way and I issued out.
锁开了,我走了出去。

“I swear Linton is dying,” repeated Heathcliff, looking hard at me. “And grief and disappointment are hastening his death.
“我发誓,林顿快要死了。”希斯克利夫重复道,瞪着我看。”悲伤和失望正在加速他的死亡。 —

Nelly, if you won’t let her go, you can walk over yourself.
尼莉,如果你不让她去,那你可以自己走过去。 —

But I shall not return till this time next week;
但我要等到下周同一时间才回来; —

and I think your master himself would scarcely object to her visiting her cousin.”
我觉得你的主人自己都不会反对她去看望她的堂兄弟。

“Come in,” said I, taking Cathy by the arm and half forcing her to re-enter;
“进来吧。”我说着,一边拉着凯茜的胳膊,一边把她半逼着重新进入; —

for she lingered, viewing with troubled eyes the features of the speaker, too stern to express his inward deceit.
她徘徊不去,眼神忧虑地凝视着发言者的面容,这个面容过于严肃,无法表达他内心的欺骗。

He pushed his horse close, and, bending down, observed—
他驱马靠近,弯下身来观察.

“Miss Catherine, I’ll own to you that I have little patience with Linton;
“凯瑟琳小姐,我得向你承认,我对林顿没有多少耐心; —

and Hareton and Joseph have less.
哈里顿和约瑟夫对他更没耐心。 —

I’ll own that he’s with a harsh set.
我承认他交往的人不好。 —

He pines for kindness, as well as love;
他渴望得到善良和爱, —

and a kind word from you would be his best medicine.
你一句善言对他来说是最好的良药。 —

Don’t mind Mrs. Dean’s cruel cautions;
不要在意迪恩夫人残酷的警告; —

but be generous, and contrive to see him.
要慷慨一点,设法去见他。 —

He dreams of you day and night, and cannot be persuaded that you don’t hate him, since you neither write nor call.”
他日夜梦见你,无法被说服你不讨厌他,因为你既不写信也不去看望他。”

I closed the door, and rolled a stone to assist the loosened lock in holding it;
我关上门,并放置一块石头帮助松脱的锁更牢固地固定住它; —

and spreading my umbrella, I drew my charge underneath:
我打开伞,把我的保护对象遮住: —

for the rain began to drive through the moaning branches of the trees, and warned us to avoid delay.
因为雨开始从嚎叫的树枝间淋漓下来,警告我们不要耽搁。 —

Our hurry prevented any comment on the encounter with Heathcliff, as we stretched towards home;
我们匆忙赶路,没有时间对与希思克里夫的那次邂逅进行评论; —

but I divined instinctively that Catherine’s heart was clouded now in double darkness.
但我本能地感到凯瑟琳的心已经被双重的黑暗笼罩。 —

Her features were so sad, they did not seem hers:
她的表情如此悲伤,看起来不像她自己: —

she evidently regarded what she had heard as every syllable true.
显然她把所听到的每个音节都当作了事实。

The master had retired to rest before we came in.
主人在我们进来之前已经去休息了。 —

Cathy stole to his room to inquire how he was;
凯瑟琳悄悄走到他的房间问他身体怎么样, —

he had fallen asleep.
他已经入睡了。 —

She returned, and asked me to sit with her in the library.
她回来后,邀请我在图书馆里与她坐在一起。 —

We took our tea together;
我们一起喝茶; —

and afterwards she lay down on the rug, and told me not to talk, for she was weary.
之后她躺在地毯上,告诉我不要说话,因为她很疲倦。 —

I got a book, and pretended to read.
我拿了一本书,假装在看。 —

As soon as she supposed me absorbed in my occupation, she recommenced her silent weeping: it appeared, at present, her favourite diversion.
当她以为我专心于我的事情时,她又开始默默地哭泣: 目前这似乎是她最喜欢的消遣。 —

I suffered her to enjoy it a while; then I expostulated:
我让她享受了一会儿; 然后我反驳道: —

deriding and ridiculing all Mr. Heathcliff’s assertions about his son, as if I were certain she would coincide.
嘲笑和嘲弄希斯克利夫先生关于他儿子的所有说法,仿佛我确信她会赞同一样。 —

Alas! I hadn’t skill to counteract the effect his account had produced:
哎呀!我没有能力来抵消他的陈述所产生的影响: —

it was just what he intended.
那正是他想要的。

“You may be right, Ellen,” she answered;
“艾伦,你可能是对的,”她回答道, —

“but I shall never feel at ease till I know.
“但是除非我知道真相,否则我永远不会感到安心。” —

And I must tell Linton it is not my fault that I don’t write, and convince him that I shall not change.”
“我必须告诉林顿,不写信不是我的错,并且让他相信我不会改变。”

What use were anger and protestations against her silly credulity?
愤怒和抗议对她的愚蠢轻信又有什么用呢? —

We parted that night—hostile;
我们当晚分开了,带着敌意; —

but next day beheld me on the road to Wuthering Heights, by the side of my wilful young mistress’s pony.
但第二天,我却站在我任性的小姐骏马的旁边,上路去呼啸山庄。 —

I couldn’t bear to witness her sorrow:
我无法忍受看到她的悲伤: —

to see her pale, dejected countenance, and heavy eyes:
看到她苍白、颓废的面容和沉重的眼神。 —

and I yielded, in the faint hope that Linton himself might prove, by his reception of us, how little of the tale was founded on fact.
我抱着微弱的希望,希望林顿亲自接待我们,以此证明这个故事基本上没有事实根据。