He entered, vociferating oaths dreadful to hear;
他大声诅咒着进来,可怕的咒骂令人胆寒, —

and caught me in the act of stowing his son away in the kitchen cupboard.
然后他抓住我当时正把他的儿子藏在厨房橱柜里。 —

Hareton was impressed with a wholesome terror of encountering either his wild beast’s fondness or his madman’s rage;
哈里顿对与这个凶猛野兽般的亲情或疯狂的暴怒相遭遇非常畏惧; —

for in one he ran a chance of being squeezed and kissed to death, and in the other of being flung into the fire, or dashed against the wall;
因为在前者的情况下,他有可能被挤死和亲吻死,而在后者的情况下,他有可能被扔进火里或撞到墙上; —

and the poor thing remained perfectly quiet wherever I chose to put him.
可怜的小家伙无论我把他放在哪里都保持着完全的安静。

“There, I’ve found it out at last!” cried Hindley, pulling me back by the skin of my neck, like a dog.
“终于找到你们了!”辛德利用脖子的皮肤把我拉了回去,像拉狗一样。 —

“By heaven and hell, you’ve sworn between you to murder that child!
“见鬼,你们已经相互发誓要谋杀那个孩子了! —

I know how it is, now, that he is always out of my way.
我现在知道他为什么总是不在我身边了。 —

But, with the help of Satan, I shall make you swallow the carving-knife, Nelly! You needn’t laugh;
但我要在撒旦的帮助下让你吞下刻肉刀,奈莉!你不必笑; —

for I’ve just crammed Kenneth, head-downmost, in the Black-horse marsh;
因为我刚把肯尼斯头朝下地塞进了黑马沼泽; —

and two is the same as one—and I want to kill some of you:
两个就跟一个一样,我想杀掉你们中的一些: —

I shall have no rest till I do!”
我只有杀了你们才能得到安宁!”

“But I don’t like the carving-knife, Mr. Hindley, ” I answered; “it has been cutting red herrings.
“但是,亨德利先生,我不喜欢那把刻肉刀,它一直在切红鲱鱼。如果可以的话, —

I’d rather be shot, if you please.”
我宁愿被枪击。”

“You’d rather be damned!
“你宁愿被诅咒!”他说, —

” he said; “and so you shall.
“那就是你的命运。 —

No law in England can hinder a man from keeping his house decent, and mine’s abominable!
英国法律不能阻止一个人使他的房子保持整洁,而我的简直是令人发指! —

Open your mouth.”
张开嘴。”

He held the knife in his hand, and pushed its point between my teeth:
他手里拿着刀,把刀尖塞进了我的牙缝里: —

but, for my part, I was never much afraid of his vagaries.
但是我对他的古怪从来不害怕。我把它吐了出来, —

I spat out, and affirmed it tasted detestably—I would not take it on any account.
并且坚称它尝起来令人厌恶,我绝不会接受它。

“Oh!” said he, releasing me, “I see that hideous little villain is not Hareton:
“哦!”他说,松开我,“我看出那个可怕的小家伙不是哈里顿: —

I beg your pardon, Nell. If it be, he deserves flaying alive for not running to welcome me, and for screaming as if I were a goblin.
抱歉,尼尔。如果是他的话,他应该被活活剥皮,因为他没有跑过来欢迎我,而是尖叫得好像我是一个鬼怪。 —

Unnatural cub, come hither!
不亲生的杂种,过来! —

I’ll teach thee to impose on a good-hearted, deluded father. Now, don’t you think the lad would be handsomer cropped?
我要教训你,骗了一颗善良迷信的父亲。你们不认为修剪掉这小子的头发会更好看吗? —

It makes a dog fiercer, and I love something fierce—get me a scissors—something fierce and trim!
它会让狗更凶猛,而我就是喜欢凶猛的东西——给我一把剪刀——凶猛地修剪! —

Besides, it’s infernal affectation—devilish conceit it is, to cherish our ears—we’re asses enough without them.
而且,保护我们的耳朵实在是傲慢至极——我们已经够蠢了,不需要它们。嘘, —

Hush, child, hush!
孩子,嘘! —

Well then, it is my darling! wisht, dry thy eyes—there’s a joy; kiss me. What!
好了,它就是我的宝贝!别哭了,擦干眼泪——多么开心啊,亲我一口。什么! —

it won’t? Kiss me, Hareton!
你不愿意?亲我,哈瑞顿! —

Damn thee, kiss me!
见鬼,亲我! —

By God, as if I would rear such a monster!
天啊,我才不会抚养这种怪物!我发誓, —

As sure as I’m living, I’ll break the brat’s neck.”
只要我活着,我就要断掉这孩子的脖子。

Poor Hareton was squalling and kicking in his father’s arms with all his might, and redoubled his yells when he carried him upstairs and lifted him over the banister.
可怜的哈瑞顿在他父亲怀里使劲哭闹、踢打,当他抱着他上楼,越过栏杆时,他的哭声更加凶猛。 —

I cried out that he would frighten the child into fits, and ran to rescue him.
我大喊着他会把孩子吓得抽筋,跑过去救他。 —

As I reached them, Hindley leant forward on the rails to listen to a noise below;
当我走近他们时,亨德里越过栏杆向下听着一声响, —

almost forgetting what he had in his hands.
几乎忘记了手中拿着什么。 —

“Who is that?
“是谁? —

” he asked, hearing some one approaching the stairs’-foot.
“他问道,听到有人脚步声向楼梯靠近。” —

I leant forward also, for the purpose of signing to Heathcliff, whose step I recognised, not to come further;
为了示意希斯克利夫不要再往前走,我也向前倾身;我认出了他的脚步声。 —

and, at the instant when my eye quitted Hareton, he gave a sudden spring, delivered himself from the careless grasp that held him, and fell.
正当我的目光离开哈里顿的瞬间,他突然一跃而起,摆脱了抓住他的随意握紧,跌倒了。

There was scarcely time to experience a thrill of horror before we saw that the little wretch was safe.
在我们来不及感受到恐怖的刺激之前,我们看到这个小家伙安然无恙。 —

Heathcliff arrived underneath just at the critical moment;
希斯克利夫正好在关键时刻到达楼下; —

by a natural impulse he arrested his descent, and setting him on his feet, looked up to discover the author of the accident.
出于本能,他阻止了他的下坠,并把他放在了地上,抬头寻找事故的幕后主使。 —

A miser who has parted with a lucky lottery ticket for five shillings, and finds next day he has lost in the bargain five thousand pounds, could not show a blanker countenance than he did on beholding the figure of Mr. Earnshaw above.
朝思暮想着自己以五先令的价格卖掉了一张幸运的彩票,第二天发现自己在这次交易中损失了五千镑的一个吝啬鬼,看到厄恩肖先生的形象出现在眼前时,他无疑露出了一副茫然的表情。 —

It expressed, plainer than words could do, the intensest anguish at having made himself the instrument of thwarting his own revenge.
他无需用言语表达,他的表情已经清楚地表达出了自己对于成为自己复仇计划的策动者所感受到的极度痛苦。 —

Had it been dark, I daresay he would have tried to remedy the mistake by smashing Hareton’s skull on the steps;
如果天黑了,我敢说他可能会试图通过在台阶上击碎Hareton的头来弥补错误; —

but, we witnessed his salvation;
但我们目睹了他的救赎; —

and I was presently below with my precious charge pressed to my heart.
我立刻就在楼下,把我珍贵的责任紧贴在心上。 —

Hindley descended more leisurely, sobered and abashed.
Hindley下楼来得更慢,变得镇静而惭愧。

“It is your fault, Ellen,” he said;
“是你的错,艾伦,”他说, —

“you should have kept him out of sight:
“你本该把他藏起来的, —

you should have taken him from me!
你该把他从我身边带走! —

Is he injured anywhere?”
他有受伤吗?”

“Injured!” I cried angrily;
“受伤!”我愤怒地喊道, —

“if he is not killed, he’ll be an idiot! Oh!
“如果他没有被杀死,他将会变成一个白痴!哦! —

I wonder his mother does not rise from her grave to see how you use him.
我想他的母亲怎么不从坟墓里站起来看看你是怎么对待他的。 —

You’re worse than a heathen—treating your own flesh and blood in that manner!”
你比个异教徒还糟糕——以那种方式对待你自己的血肉之躯!”

He attempted to touch the child, who, on finding himself with me, sobbed off his terror directly.
他试图碰触这个孩子,但当发现他在我身边时,他立刻止住了害怕的哭泣。 —

At the first finger his father laid on him, however, he shrieked again louder than before, and struggled as if he would go into convulsions.
然而,他父亲第一次动手打他时,他尖叫得比以前更大声,并且挣扎得好像要抽搐。

“You shall not meddle with him!” I continued.
“你不可以碰他!”我继续说道。 —

“He hates you—they all hate you—that’s the truth!
“他恨你——他们都恨你——那是真的!” —

A happy family you have; and a pretty state you’re come to!”
你有个幸福的家庭,你可真是碰到了好事啊!

“I shall come to a prettier, yet, Nelly, ” laughed the misguided man, recovering his hardness.
“我以后还会碰到更好的事情,Nelly,”这个迷途的男人笑着恢复了冷漠。 —

“At present, convey yourself and him away.
“现在,你带他离开吧。” —

And hark you, Heathcliff!
“听着,Heathcliff! —

clear you too quite from my reach and hearing.
你也离我远一点,别让我听到你的声音。 —

I wouldn’t murder you to-night;
我今晚不会谋杀你; —

unless, perhaps, I set the house on fire:
除非,也许我点火烧房子: —

but that’s as my fancy goes.”
但这只是我的一时兴起。”

While saying this he took a pint bottle of brandy from the dresser, and poured some into a tumbler.
在说着这话时,他从餐桌上拿起了一个品脱的白兰地,倒了一些在一个玻璃杯里。

“Nay, don’t!” I entreated. “Mr. Hindley, do take warning. Have mercy on this unfortunate boy, if you care nothing for yourself!”
“不,别这样!”我恳求道。“Hindley先生,请警惕一下。如果你对自己毫不在乎,就对这个可怜的孩子怜悯一下!”

“Any one will do better for him than I shall, ” he answered.
“除了我,任何人都会对他更好。”他回答道。

“Have mercy on your own soul!” I said, endeavouring to snatch the glass from his hand.
“求你顾及自己的灵魂!”我说着,试图从他手中夺过杯子。

“Not I! On the contrary, I shall have great pleasure in sending it to perdition to punish its Maker, ” exclaimed the blasphemer.
“不,相反,我很愿意将它送入地狱来惩罚它的造物主。”渎神者咒骂着说。 —

“Here’s to its hearty damnation!”
“为它的彻底毁灭干杯!”

He drank the spirits and impatiently bade us go;
他喝完烈酒,不耐烦地催促我们离开; —

terminating his command with a sequel of horrid imprecations too bad to repeat or remember.
结束他的命令时,连续的可怕诅咒令人发指,不值得再重复或记住。

“It’s a pity he cannot kill himself with drink, ” observed Heathcliff, muttering an echo of curses back when the door was shut.
“唉,他不能用酒精自杀真是可惜。”希斯克利夫咕哝着,当门关上的时候回应着一连串的诅咒。 —

“He’s doing his very utmost;
“他已经竭尽全力了, —

but his constitution defies him.
但他的体质不屈服。” —

Mr. Kenneth says he would wager his mare that he’ll outlive any man on this side Gimmerton, and go to the grave a hoary sinner;
“肯尼斯先生说,他愿以自己的母马来打赌,他会比吉默顿这一边任何人都活得久,并且作为一个耄耋之罪人走向坟墓; —

unless some happy chance out of the common course befall him.”
除非有些不同寻常的机缘降临在他身上。”

I went into the kitchen, and sat down to lull my little lamb to sleep.
我走进厨房,坐下来哄睡我的小羔羊。 —

Heathcliff, as I thought, walked through to the barn.
我认为希斯克利夫走进了谷仓。 —

It turned out afterwards that he only got as far as the other side the settle, when he flung himself on a bench by the wall, removed from the fire, and remained silent.
事后证明,他只到了另一边的定居点,就向靠墙的长凳上一躺,离火源远一些,保持了沉默。

I was rocking Hareton on my knee, and humming a song that began,—
我抱着哈雷顿在膝上晃动着,哼着一首歌开始唱起来——

It was far in the night, and the bairnies grat, The mither beneath the mools heard that,
那是在深夜,孩子们嚎啕大哭,下面诅咒的母亲听到了那声音,

when Miss Cathy, who had listened to the hubbub from her room, put her head in, and whispered, —“Are you alone, Nelly?”
此时凯瑟琳小姐正听着这一片混乱的声音,在自己屋里探头问道:“尼尔,你一个人在吗?”

“Yes, Miss,” I replied.
“是的,小姐,”我回答道。

She entered and approached the hearth. I, supposing she was going to say something, looked up.
她走进来,走近壁炉。我以为她要说些什么,便抬起头。 —

The expression of her face seemed disturbed and anxious.
她的脸色看起来烦闷不安。嘴唇微张, —

Her lips were half asunder, as if she meant to speak, and she drew a breath;
似乎想要说话,却只是呼出一口气; —

but it escaped in a sigh instead of a sentence.
而那口气变成了一声叹息,而不是完整的句子。 —

I resumed my song;
我继续唱我的歌; —

not having forgotten her recent behaviour.
并没有忘记她刚才的行为。

“Where’s Heathcliff?” she said, interrupting me.
“希斯克利夫在哪里?”她打断我问道。

“About his work in the stable,” was my answer.
“在马棚忙着工作,”我回答道。

He did not contradict me; perhaps he had fallen into a doze.
他没有与我相互矛盾;也许他已经陷入了瞌睡中。 —

There followed another long pause, during which I perceived a drop or two trickle from Catherine’s cheek to the flags.
随之又来了一个漫长的停顿,我看到凯瑟琳的眼角滴下了几滴泪水。 —

Is she sorry for her shameful conduct?
她为她可耻的行为感到遗憾吗? —

—I asked myself. That will be a novelty:
——我自问自答。那可真是个新鲜事。 —

but she may come to the point as she will—I sha’n’t help her!
但她可能会找到问题的关键——我不会帮她的! —

No, she felt small trouble regarding any subject, save her own concerns.
不,她几乎不会为任何其他事情烦恼,只对自己的事情感到些许困扰。

“Oh, dear!” she cried at last. “I’m very unhappy!”
“哦,天啊!”她最后喊道。”我很不开心!”

“A pity,” observed I. “You’re hard to please;
“真可惜,”我观察到。”你真难以满足; —

so many friends and so few cares, and can’t make yourself content!”
有这么多朋友却没有什么烦恼,还不能让自己满足!”

“Nelly, will you keep a secret for me?” she pursued, kneeling down by me, and lifting her winsome eyes to my face with that sort of look which turns off bad temper, even when one has all the right in the world to indulge it.
“妮莉,你能为我保守一个秘密吗?” 她继续说,跪在我的身边,用那种能够解救壞脾气的眼神朝我看去,即使一个人完全有权利发泄壞脾气。

“Is it worth keeping?” I inquired, less sulkily.
“值得保守吗?”我不那么板着脸问道。

“Yes, and it worries me, and I must let it out!
“是的,它困扰着我,我必须告诉人! —

I want to know what I should do.
我想知道我应该怎么办。” —

To-day, Edgar Linton has asked me to marry him, and I’ve given him an answer.
今天,埃德加·林顿向我求婚了,我已经给了他答复。 —

Now, before I tell you whether it was a consent or denial, you tell me which it ought to have been.”
现在,在我告诉你是同意还是拒绝之前,你告诉我应该是哪种答案。”

“Really, Miss Catherine, how can I know?” I replied.
“真的,凯瑟琳小姐,我怎么知道呢?”我回答道。“当然, —

“To be sure, considering the exhibition you performed in his presence this afternoon, I might say it would be wise to refuse him:
在他面前你表现出来的那番场景,我可以说拒绝他会是明智的选择:既然他在那之后还向你求婚,他要么非常愚蠢,要么非常冒险。” —

since he asked you after that, he must either be hopelessly stupid or a venturesome fool.”
“如果你这么说,我就不告诉你了,”她恼怒地站起身来回答道。

“If you talk so, I won’t tell you any more, ” she returned, peevishly rising to her feet.
“我接受了他,妮莉。快告诉我我错了没有!” —

“I accepted him, Nelly. Be quick, and say whether I was wrong!”
“你接受了他!那还讨论有什么好处呢?你已经答应了,不能收回。”

“You accepted him! Then what good is it discussing the matter?
“但是说一下我是否应该这样做——快说! —

You have pledged your word, and cannot retract.”
”她愤怒地喊道,双手揉搓着,眉头紧锁。

“But say whether I should have done so—do!
“在回答这个问题之前, —

” she exclaimed in an irritated tone;
有很多事情需要考虑, —

chafing her hands together, and frowning.
”我庄重地说道。

“There are many things to be considered before that question can be answered properly, ” I said, sententiously.
“在回答这个问题之前,有很多事情需要考虑,”我庄重地说道。 —

“First and foremost, do you love Mr. Edgar?”
“首先,你爱爱德加先生吗?”

“Who can help it? Of course I do,” she answered.
“谁能不爱呢?当然爱。”她回答道。

Then I put her through the following catechism:
然后我向她提出了以下问题: —

for a girl of twenty-two it was not injudicious.
对于一个22岁的女孩来说是一个不错的选择。

“Why do you love him, Miss Cathy?”
“你为什么爱他,凯茜小姐?”

“Nonsense, I do—that’s sufficient.”
“胡说,我就是爱他—这就足够了。”

“By no means; you must say why?”
“绝对不行;你必须说出原因。”

“Well, because he is handsome, and pleasant to be with.”
“嗯,因为他很英俊,和他在一起很愉快。”

“Bad!” was my commentary.
“糟糕!”这是我的评语。

“And because he is young and cheerful.”
“还有因为他年轻和开朗。”

“Bad, still.”
“仍然不好。”

“And because he loves me.”
“还有因为他爱我。”

“Indifferent, coming there.”
“无所谓,接下来。”

“And he will be rich, and I shall like to be the greatest woman of the neighbourhood, and I shall be proud of having such a husband.”
“还有他将会很有钱,而我会喜欢成为邻里中最了不起的女人,我会为有这样的丈夫而感到骄傲。”

“Worst of all. And now, say how you love him?”
“最糟糕的。现在,请告诉我你如何爱他?”

“As everybody loves—You’re silly, Nelly.”
“如同每个人一样地爱——你傻。”

“Not at all—Answer.”
“毫不—回答。”

“I love the ground under his feet, and the air over his head, and everything he touches, and every word he says.
“我喜欢他脚下的土地,他头上的空气,他触碰过的一切,以及他说过的每个字。 —

I love all his looks, and all his actions, and him entirely and altogether.
“我喜欢他所有的神情和一举一动,我完完全全地喜欢他。 —

There now!”
就是现在!”

“And why?”
“为什么?”

“Nay; you are making a jest of it:
“你是在拿它开玩笑吗? —

it is exceedingly ill-natured!
太刻薄了! —

It’s no jest to me!
对我来说不是笑话! —

” said the young lady, scowling, and turning her face to the fire.
”说着,年轻的女士皱着眉头,把脸转向火炉。

“I’m very far from jesting, Miss Catherine,” I replied.
“我一点也不开玩笑,凯瑟琳小姐,”我回答道。 —

“You love Mr. Edgar because he is handsome, and young, and cheerful, and rich, and loves you.
“你喜欢爱德加先生,因为他英俊、年轻、开朗、富有,还有他爱你。然而, —

The last, however, goes for nothing:
最后一个因素无关紧要: —

you would love him without that, probably;
你即使没有这个也会爱他;而有了这个, —

and with it you wouldn’t, unless he possessed the four former attractions.”
除非他具备前面四个吸引因素,否则你也不会爱他。”

“No, to be sure not: I should only pity him—hate him, perhaps, if he were ugly, and a clown.”
“当然不会:我只会可怜他——也许恨他,如果他又丑又粗鲁的话。”

“But there are several other handsome, rich young men in the world:
“但世界上还有其他几个英俊、富有的年轻人: —

handsomer, possibly, and richer than he is.
或许比他更帅,更有钱。那么, —

What should hinder you from loving them?”
是什么阻止你去爱他们呢?”

“If there be any, they are out of my way:
“如果有任何人,他们都不在我的路上: —

I’ve seen none like Edgar.”
我从未见过像埃德加这样的人。”

“You may see some; and he won’t always be handsome, and young, and may not always be rich.”
“你可能会见到一些人;他不总是英俊、年轻,也不一定总是富有。”

“He is now; and I have only to do with the present. I wish you would speak rationally.”
“他现在是这样,我只关心当前。我希望你能理智地说话。”

“Well, that settles it:
“好吧,那就这样定了: —

if you have only to do with the present, marry Mr. Linton.”
如果你只关心当前,那就嫁给林顿先生吧。”

“I don’t want your permission for that—I shall marry him:
“我并不需要你的允许 - 我会嫁给他的。然而, —

and yet you have not told me whether I’m right.”
你还没有告诉我我是否正确。”

“Perfectly right; if people be right to marry only for the present.
“完全正确;如果人们只为了眼前而结婚,那就没错。 —

And now, let us hear what you are unhappy about. Your brother will be pleased;
现在,让我们听听你为什么不开心。你的兄弟会高兴的; —

the old lady and gentleman will not object, I think;
老太太和老先生应该不会反对, —

you will escape from a disorderly, comfortless home into a wealthy, respectable one;
我想;你将从一个混乱、不舒适的家庭逃离到一个富裕、体面的家庭; —

and you love Edgar, and Edgar loves you.
而且你爱着埃德加,埃德加也爱着你。 —

All seems smooth and easy:
一切看起来都很顺利和容易: —

where is the obstacle?”
哪里有阻碍呢?”

Here! and here!” replied Catherine, striking one hand on her forehead, and the other on her breast:
“就在这里!就在这里!” 凯瑟琳回答道,一只手敲击着额头,另一只手敲击着胸口。 —

“in whichever place the soul lives.
“灵魂居住在哪个地方就在哪里。 —

In my soul and in my heart, I’m convinced I’m wrong!”
在我的灵魂和我的心中,我确信我是错的!”

“That’s very strange! I cannot make it out.”
“这真的很奇怪!我无法弄明白。”

“It’s my secret. But if you will not mock at me, I’ll explain it: I can’t do it distinctly;
“这是我个人的秘密。但是如果你不嘲笑我,我会解释给你听:我不能清晰地解释, —

but I’ll give you a feeling of how I feel.”
但我会让你有一种我感受的感觉。”

She seated herself by me again:
她再次坐在我的身边: —

her countenance grew sadder and graver, and her clasped hands trembled.
她的面容变得更加悲伤和严肃,她紧握的双手颤抖着。

“Nelly, do you never dream queer dreams?” she said, suddenly, after some minutes’ reflection.
“Nelly,你从来没有做过奇怪的梦吗?”她突然说道,经过几分钟的沉思。

“Yes, now and then,” I answered.
“是的,偶尔会有,”我回答。

“And so do I. I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas:
“我也是。我一生中做过一些梦,这些梦一直留在我的记忆中,并改变了我的观念:它们穿透了每一个部分,像水中的酒一样在我内心中流淌,并改变了我思维的色彩。 —

they’ve gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.
“而这个梦就是其中之一:我打算告诉你——但请确保不要对其中任何部分嗤笑。” —

And this is one: I’m going to tell it—but take care not to smile at any part of it.”
“哦!不要,凯瑟琳小姐!”我喊道。“我们已经够凄凉了,不要再召唤鬼魂和幻象来使我们困惑了。”

“Oh! don’t, Miss Catherine!” I cried.
请务必保留原文中的“哦! —

“We’re dismal enough without conjuring up ghosts and visions to perplex us.
不要,凯瑟琳小姐!”这句话。 —

Come, come, be merry and like yourself!
来,来,快乐地像你自己一样! —

Look at little Hareton!
看看小哈里顿! —

he’s dreaming nothing dreary.
他在梦里没有什么可怕的事情。 —

How sweetly he smiles in his sleep!”
他睡觉时笑得多么甜美!

“Yes; and how sweetly his father curses in his solitude!
是的;可他父亲在孤独中诅咒得多么凶狠!你肯定还记得他, —

You remember him, I daresay, when he was just such another as that chubby thing:
当时他就像那个胖乎乎的孩子一样:几乎一样年轻和天真。然而,内莉,我要求你听着:不久而言,今晚我没法快乐起来。 —

nearly as young and innocent. However, Nelly, I shall oblige you to listen:
我不会听的,我不会听的!我匆忙地重复道。 —

it’s not long; and I’ve no power to be merry to-night.”
那时我对梦有迷信,现在也有;凯瑟琳的表情有一种不寻常的忧郁,让我害怕可能会发生什么事情,我可能会从中预言出一个可怕的灾难。

“I won’t hear it, I won’t hear it!” I repeated, hastily.
她很生气,但她没有继续说下去。显然又换了个话题,她不久之后重新开始说话。

I was superstitious about dreams then, and am still;
如果我在天堂, —

and Catherine had an unusual gloom in her aspect, that made me dread something from which I might shape a prophecy, and foresee a fearful catastrophe.
尼莉,我会非常痛苦。 —

She was vexed, but she did not proceed.
因为你不适合去那里, —

Apparently taking up another subject, she recommenced in a short time.
我回答道。“所有的罪人都会在天堂里痛苦。”

“If I were in heaven, Nelly, I should be extremely miserable.”
她被激怒了,但她没有继续说下去。显然又换了个话题,她不久之后重新开始说话。

“Because you are not fit to go there,” I answered.
如果我在天堂,尼莉, —

“All sinners would be miserable in heaven.”
我会非常痛苦。

“But it is not for that.
“但这不是为了那个。 —

I dreamt once that I was there.”
我曾经梦到过我在那里。”

“I tell you I won’t hearken to your dreams, Miss Catherine! I’ll go to bed, ” I interrupted again.
“告诉你,凯瑟琳小姐,我不会听你的梦话!我要去睡觉了。”我再次打断。

She laughed, and held me down;
她笑着按住我, —

for I made a motion to leave my chair.
因为我刚要离开我的椅子。

“This is nothing,” cried she:
“这没什么,”她喊道:“我只是想说天堂似乎不是我的家; —

“I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home;
而我为了回到地球而伤透了心,天使们非常愤怒,把我扔到了伍瑟林高地的中央; —

and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth;
在那里我醒来时欣喜地哭泣。 —

and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights;
这样解释我的秘密就够了,也能解释其他的秘密。 —

where I woke sobbing for joy.
我没什么理由嫁给埃德加·林顿, —

That will do to explain my secret, as well as the other.
就像我没有理由去天堂一样; —

I’ve no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven;
如果那个坏人没把希斯克利夫逼得如此低贱,我是不会考虑的。现在和希斯克利夫结婚会贬低我; —

and if the wicked man in there had not brought Heathcliff so low, I shouldn’t have thought of it.
所以他永远不会知道我有多么爱他:不是因为他英俊,妮莉, —

It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now;
而是因为他比我自己还要像我。 —

so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I am.
请把我爱他这个事实完整保留下来:不要加入任何解释或说明。 —

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same;
无论我们的灵魂是由什么构成的,他的灵魂与我的是相同的; —

and Linton’s is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.”
而林顿的灵魂则像月光与闪电,或霜与火一样不同。

Ere this speech ended I became sensible of Heathcliff’s presence.
在演讲结束之前,我意识到了希斯克利夫的存在。 —

Having noticed a slight movement, I turned my head, and saw him rise from the bench, and steal out noiselessly.
注意到他轻微的动作后,我转过头,看到他从长椅上悄悄站起来。 —

He had listened till he heard Catherine say it would degrade her to marry him, and then he stayed to hear no further.
他听到了凯瑟琳说她嫁给他会降低自己身份的话,于是不再停留继续听下去。 —

My companion, sitting on the ground, was prevented by the back of the settle from remarking his presence or departure;
我的伴侣坐在地上,被靠背挡住了,没注意到他的到来或离开。 —

but I started, and bade her hush!
但我惊起,嘱咐她静一静!

“Why?” she asked, gazing nervously round.
“为什么?”她紧张地四处张望着问道。

“Joseph is here,” I answered, catching opportunely the roll of his cartwheels up the road;
“约瑟夫在这里,”我回答道,正好听到他的车轮声从路上传来; —

“and Heathcliff will come in with him.
“而且希斯克利夫也会和他一起进来。 —

I’m not sure whether he were not at the door this moment.”
我不确定他是否此刻就在门口。”

“Oh, he couldn’t overhear me at the door!” said she.
“哦,他在门口听不到我说的话!”她说道。 —

“Give me Hareton, while you get the supper, and when it is ready ask me to sup with you.
“你给我哈里顿,你去准备晚餐,等好了请我一起吃。” —

I want to cheat my uncomfortable conscience, and be convinced that Heathcliff has no notion of these things.
我想要欺骗我那不安的良心,并确信希思克里夫对这些事毫不知情。 —

He has not, has he? He does not know what being in love is!”
他不知道吗?他不知道什么叫恋爱!”

“I see no reason that he should not know, as well as you,” I returned;
“我不明白他为什么不知道,就像你一样,”我回答说; —

“and if you are his choice, he’ll be the most unfortunate creature that ever was born!
“如果你是他的选择,他将是有史以来最不幸的人! —

As soon as you become Mrs. Linton, he loses friend, and love, and all!
一旦你成为林顿夫人,他将失去朋友、爱人和一切! —

Have you considered how you’ll bear the separation, and how he’ll bear to be quite deserted in the world?
你有没有考虑过你将如何忍受分离,以及他将如何忍受在这个世界上完全被遗弃? —

Because, Miss Catherine—”
因为,凯瑟琳小姐——”

“He quite deserted! we separated!” she exclaimed, with an accent of indignation. “Who is to separate us, pray? They’ll meet the fate of Milo!
“他完全被遗弃!我们分开!”她愤怒地叫道。“请问谁来分开我们?他们会遭到米洛的命运! —

Not as long as I live, Ellen: for no mortal creature.
只要我活着,艾伦, —

Every Linton on the face of the earth might melt into nothing before I could consent to forsake Heathcliff.
任何凡人都无法让我放弃希斯克利夫。 —

Oh, that’s not what I intend—that’s not what I mean!
哦,那不是我的意图,那不是我的意思! —

I shouldn’t be Mrs. Linton were such a price demanded!
我不会成为林顿夫人,如果要求付出这样的代价! —

He’ll be as much to me as he has been all his lifetime.
他对我来说将会一直是重要的。 —

Edgar must shake off his antipathy, and tolerate him, at least.
埃德加必须克服他的厌恶,至少要容忍他。 —

He will, when he learns my true feelings towards him.
当他了解到我对他的真实感情时,他会的。妮莉, —

Nelly, I see now you think me a selfish wretch;
我现在明白你认为我是个自私的恶徒; —

but did it never strike you that if Heathcliff and I married, we should be beggars?
但你从未想过,如果希斯克利夫和我结婚,我们将会成为乞丐吗? —

whereas, if I marry Linton I can aid Heathcliff to rise, and place him out of my brother’s power.”
然而,如果我嫁给林顿,我可以帮助希斯克利夫崭露头角,并使他摆脱我兄弟的掌控。

“With your husband’s money, Miss Catherine?” I asked.
“用你丈夫的钱,凯瑟琳小姐?”我问道。 —

“You’ll find him not so pliable as you calculate upon:
“你会发现,他不会像你所预计的那样顺从: —

and, though I’m hardly a judge, I think that’s the worst motive you’ve given yet for being the wife of young Linton.”
虽然我几乎不是个评判者,我认为这是你为成为林顿年轻妻子给出的最差的动机。”

“It is not,” retorted she; “it is the best!
她反驳道:“不,它不是最好的! —

The others were the satisfaction of my whims:
其他的只是满足我的私心, —

and for Edgar’s sake, too, to satisfy him.
也是为了满足埃德加。 —

This is for the sake of one who comprehends in his person my feelings to Edgar and myself.
这是为了一个能够理解我的对埃德加和我自己的感情的人而存在的。 —

I cannot express it;
我无法表达。 —

but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you.
但是你们大家肯定会有一个观念,你们的存在应该在你们之外。 —

What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here?
如果我完全只存在于此,那我的创造有什么用途? —

My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff’s miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning:
我在这个世界上所遭受的巨大痛苦是希思克里夫的痛苦,我从一开始就看到并感受到了每一个痛苦。 —

my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be;
我生活中的最大念头就是他。如果其他一切消失了,而他还在,我仍然会存在; —

and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger:
如果其他一切都还在,而他被抹去了,这个世界会变成一个陌生的存在: —

I should not seem a part of it.
我将不再似乎是其中的一部分。 —

My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods:
我对林顿的爱就像森林中的叶子:我很清楚, —

time will change it, I’m well aware, as winter changes the trees.
时间会改变它,就像冬天改变了树木一样。 —

My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath:
我对Heathcliff的爱就像永恒的岩石, —

a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff!
虽然看不到很多快乐,但却是必要的。Nelly,我就是Heathcliff! —

He’s always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.
他一直在我的脑海中,不是作为一种快乐,也不比我对自己的相思更多,而是作为我自己的存在。 —

So don’t talk of our separation again:
所以不要再谈我们的分离了: —

it is impracticable; and—”
这是行不通的;并且——”

She paused, and hid her face in the folds of my gown;
她停下来,把脸埋在我的裙摆里; —

but I jerked it forcibly away.
但是我用力拽了一下。 —

I was out of patience with her folly!
我对她的愚蠢耐心已经耗尽了!

“If I can make any sense of your nonsense, Miss, ” I said, “it only goes to convince me that you are ignorant of the duties you undertake in marrying;
“如果我能理解你的胡言乱语,小姐,”我说,“它只会让我相信你对结婚所承担的责任一无所知, —

or else that you are a wicked, unprincipled girl.
或者说你是一个邪恶、无原则的女孩。 —

But trouble me with no more secrets:
但是别再向我透露任何秘密: —

I’ll not promise to keep them.”
我保证不会保守它们。”

“You’ll keep that?” she asked, eagerly.
“你会保守住这个秘密吗?”她急切地问道。

“No, I’ll not promise,” I repeated.
“不,我不会保证。”我重复道。

She was about to insist, when the entrance of Joseph finished our conversation;
正当她要坚持时,Joseph的出现结束了我们的对话。 —

and Catherine removed her seat to a corner, and nursed Hareton, while I made the supper.
凯瑟琳把她的座位移到了一个角落,照顾着海顿,而我则准备晚餐。 —

After it was cooked, my fellow-servant and I began to quarrel who should carry some to Mr. Hindley;
煮好后,我和我的同事开始争吵,谁应该把一些拿给亨德利先生; —

and we didn’t settle it till all was nearly cold.
直到都差不多冷了,我们才解决了这个问题。 —

Then we came to the agreement that we would let him ask, if he wanted any;
然后我们决定让他自己问,如果他想要的话; —

for we feared particularly to go into his presence when he had been some time alone.
因为我们特别害怕在他独自待了一段时间后去见他。

“And how isn’t that nowt comed in fro’ th’ field, be this time? What is he about?
“他怎么到现在还没从田里回来?他干嘛去了? —

girt idle seeght!” demanded the old man, looking round for Heathcliff.
懒得厉害!”老人询问道,四处打量希斯克利夫。

“I’ll call him,” I replied.
我回答说:“我去叫他。 —

“He’s in the barn, I’ve no doubt.”
我毫不怀疑他在谷仓里。”

I went and called, but got no answer. On returning, I whispered to Catherine that he had heard a good part of what she said, I was sure;
我去叫了,但没有回答。回来后,我向凯瑟琳耳语,我确定他听到了她说的大部分内容; —

and told how I saw him quit the kitchen just as she complained of her brother’s conduct regarding him.
并告诉她我看到他在她抱怨她哥哥对待他的行为时刚离开厨房。 —

She jumped up in a fine fright, flung Hareton on to the settle, and ran to seek for her friend herself;
她吓得跳了起来,把哈里顿推到长凳上,自己跑去寻找她的朋友; —

not taking leisure to consider why she was so flurried, or how her talk would have affected him.
她没有闲暇考虑自己为何如此慌乱,以及她的话语会对他产生怎样的影响。 —

She was absent such a while that Joseph proposed we should wait no longer.
她离开了好一会儿,约瑟夫提议我们不要再等下去了。 —

He cunningly conjectured they were staying away in order to avoid hearing his protracted blessing.
他狡猾地猜想他们一直不回来是为了避免听他拖沓的祝福。 —

They were “ill eneugh for ony fahl manners, ” he affirmed.
他断言“他们对任何的坏举止都够了”。 —

And on their behalf he added that night a special prayer to the usual quarter-of-an-hour’s supplication before meat, and would have tacked another to the end of the grace, had not his young mistress broken in upon him with a hurried command that he must run down the road, and, wherever Heathcliff had rambled, find and make him re-enter directly!
并且代表他们向晚餐前的寻常15分钟的祈祷加上了一次给予他们的特殊祈祷,如果不是他的年轻女主人急急忙忙打断他,命令他必须跑下路去,不管希斯克利夫跑到哪里,一定要找到他并让他马上回来!

“I want to speak to him, and I must, before I go upstairs,” she said.
“我必须在我上楼之前与他说话”,她说。 —

“And the gate is open:
“而且大门是开着的: —

he is somewhere out of hearing; for he would not reply, though I shouted at the top of the fold as loud as I could.”
他在听不见的地方,因为尽管我用尽全力高声喊叫,他也不会回答。

Joseph objected at first;
约瑟夫起初反对, —

she was too much in earnest, however, to suffer contradiction;
但她太认真了,不能容忍反驳。 —

and at last he placed his hat on his head, and walked grumbling forth.
最后他戴上帽子,嘟哝着走了出去。 —

Meantime, Catherine paced up and down the floor, exclaiming—“I wonder where he is—I wonder where he can be!
与此同时,凯瑟琳在房间里踱来踱去,喊道:“我想知道他在哪里,我想知道他能在哪里!我说了什么,妮莉?我忘了。是他因为我今天下午的坏脾气而生气吗?亲爱的!告诉我我说了什么让他伤心的话? —

What did I say, Nelly?
我真希望他能来。我真希望他会来!” —

I’ve forgotten. Was he vexed at my bad humour this afternoon? Dear!
“这么大的动静,没什么大不了的!”我喊道,虽然我自己也有点不安。“一个小事情能吓到你!希斯克里夫在荒原上散步,甚至躺在干草堆里没有说话,这当然不会引起太大的警觉。我敢肯定他就藏在那里。看我找不到他!” —

tell me what I’ve said to grieve him?
妈呀,纯属杞人忧天!”我喊道,虽然我自己也有点不安。“一个小事情能吓到你!希斯克里夫在荒原上散步, —

I do wish he’d come. I do wish he would!”
甚至躺在干草堆里没有说话,这当然不会引起太大的警觉。我敢肯定他就藏在那里。看我不扒出他来!”

“What a noise for nothing!” I cried, though rather uneasy myself.
“一个小事情能吓到你!”我喊道,虽然我自己也有点不安。“希斯克里夫在荒原上散步,甚至在草房里不肯跟我们说话,这又能成为大惊小怪的原因吗? —

“What a trifle scares you!
我敢打赌他就在那里。看我不把他揪出来!” —

It’s surely no great cause of alarm that Heathcliff should take a moonlight saunter on the moors, or even lie too sulky to speak to us in the hay-loft.
“一个小事情能吓到你!”我喊道,虽然我自己也有点不安。“希斯克里夫在荒原上散步,甚至在干草堆里不肯跟我们说话,这又能成为大惊小怪的原因吗?我敢打赌他就在那里。看我不把他逼出来!” —

I’ll engage he’s lurking there.
“一个小事情能吓到你!”我喊道,虽然我自己也有点不安。“希斯克里夫在荒原上散步, —

See if I don’t ferret him out!”
甚至在干草堆里不肯跟我们说话,这又能成为大惊小怪的原因吗?我敢打赌他就在那里。看我不把他揪出来!”

I departed to renew my search;
我离开重新开始搜寻, —

its result was disappointment, and Joseph’s quest ended in the same.
但结果令人失望,约瑟夫的追寻也以同样的结果告终。

“Yon lad gets war und war!” observed he on re-entering.
“那个小家伙越来越调皮了! —

“He’s left th’ gate at t’ full swing, and Miss’s pony has trodden dahn two rigs o’ corn, and plottered through, raight o’er into t’ meadow!
”他重新进来时评论道,“他将大门敞开,小姐的马踩过两块玉米地,闯进了草地!” —

Hahsomdiver, t’ maister ’ull play t’ devil to-morn, and he’ll do weel.
一定,主人会发作的。他会做得很好。 —

He’s patience itsseln wi’ sich careless, offald craters—patience itsseln he is!
他跟那些粗心草包一样有耐心,他就是有耐心! —

Bud he’ll not be soa allus—yah’s see, all on ye!
但他不会一直这样的,你们都会看到! —

Yah mun’n’t drive him out of his heead for nowt!”
你们可别把他逼疯了,没事!

“Have you found Heathcliff, you ass?
“你这蠢货,你找到希斯克利夫了吗? —

” interrupted Catherine.
” 凯瑟琳打断道, —

“Have you been looking for him, as I ordered?”
“你按照我吩咐的去找他了吗?”

“I sud more likker look for th’ horse, ” he replied. “It ’ud be to more sense.
“我更该找马,”他回答道,“那样更有意义。” —

Bud I can look for norther horse nur man of a neeght loike this—as black as t’ chimbley!
但是在这样黑得像烟囱一样的夜晚,我找不到马也找不到人! —

und Heathcliff’s noan t’ chap to coom at my whistle—happen he’ll be less hard o’ hearing wi’ ye!”
“听好了,希斯克利夫不是听闻我的吹哨声就会过来,也许如果是你吹,他会听得更清楚!”

It was a very dark evening for summer:
夏天的夜晚非常黑暗: —

the clouds appeared inclined to thunder, and I said we had better all sit down;
云层似乎要打雷了,我说我们最好都坐下来; —

the approaching rain would be certain to bring him home without further trouble.
开始下雨了,毫无疑问,这会让他毫不费劲地回家。 —

However, Catherine would not be persuaded into tranquillity.
然而,凯瑟琳无法被劝服平静下来。 —

She kept wandering to and fro, from the gate to the door, in a state of agitation which permitted no repose;
她一直在门和大门之间来回踱步,处于无法安宁的状态; —

and at length took up a permanent situation on one side of the wall, near the road:
最终她坐在一堵墙的一侧,靠近马路: —

where, heedless of my expostulations and the growling thunder, and the great drops that began to plash around her, she remained, calling at intervals, and then listening, and then crying outright.
不顾我的劝阻、咆哮的雷声以及开始扑通扑通下起的大雨,她仍然待在那里,不时地大喊,然后听着,然后大声哭泣。 —

She beat Hareton, or any child, at a good passionate fit of crying.
她在大哭的时候能赢过哈里顿,甚至所有的孩子。

About midnight, while we still sat up, the storm came rattling over the Heights in full fury.
午夜时分,我们仍然没有睡,暴风雨猛烈地吹袭着高地。 —

There was a violent wind, as well as thunder, and either one or the other split a tree off at the corner of the building:
突然刮起了一阵狂风,还有雷声,这两者之一将一棵树刮倒在建筑物的角落处。 —

a huge bough fell across the roof, and knocked down a portion of the east chimney-stack, sending a clatter of stones and soot into the kitchen-fire.
一根巨大的树枝掉在屋顶上,把东面的烟囱砸倒了一部分,石块和煤灰咣当一声掉进了厨房的火炉里。 —

We thought a bolt had fallen in the middle of us;
我们以为是一道闪电劈到了我们当中, —

and Joseph swung on to his knees, beseeching the Lord to remember the patriarchs Noah and Lot, and, as in former times, spare the righteous, though he smote the ungodly.
约瑟夫跪下来恳求上帝记念挪亚和罗得这样的圣人,并像从前一样,惩罚恶人但保护义人。 —

I felt some sentiment that it must be a judgment on us also. The Jonah, in my mind, was Mr. Earnshaw;
我心中充满了使我们也要受到惩罚的感受。我心目中的约拿就是厄恩肖先生。 —

and I shook the handle of his den that I might ascertain if he were yet living.
我拧动了一下他房间的门把手,想弄清他是否还活着。 —

He replied audibly enough, in a fashion which made my companion vociferate, more clamorously than before, that a wide distinction might be drawn between saints like himself and sinners like his master.
他用足够响亮的声音回答了,这种回答使我的伙伴比以前更大声地喊叫起来,即使圣人像他那样的人也和主人那样的罪人之间可以划清界限。 —

But the uproar passed away in twenty minutes, leaving us all unharmed;
但是噪音在二十分钟内平息了,我们都毫发无伤。 —

excepting Cathy, who got thoroughly drenched for her obstinacy in refusing to take shelter, and standing bonnetless and shawlless to catch as much water as she could with her hair and clothes.
除了Cathy之外,其他人都为了她拒绝避雨而被彻底淋湿,她站在那里没有帽子和披肩,用头发和衣服尽力接水。 —

She came in and lay down on the settle, all soaked as she was, turning her face to the back, and putting her hands before it.
她走进来,浑身湿透,躺在长凳上,把脸转向后面,双手放在脸前。

“Well, Miss!” I exclaimed, touching her shoulder;
“嗯,小姐!”我拍了拍她的肩膀, —

“you are not bent on getting your death, are you?
“你不想送命吧? —

Do you know what o’clock it is?
你知道现在几点了吗? —

Half-past twelve. Come, come to bed!
已经过了十二点半。来吧,快上床! —

there’s no use waiting any longer on that foolish boy:
再等那个愚蠢的男孩也没有意义了: —

he’ll be gone to Gimmerton, and he’ll stay there now.
他会去吉默顿,现在他会一直呆在那里。 —

He guesses we shouldn’t wait for him till this late hour:
他猜我们不会等到这么晚: —

at least, he guesses that only Mr. Hindley would be up;
至少,他猜只有Hindley先生会起来; —

and he’d rather avoid having the door opened by the master.”
他宁愿避免让主人来开门。”

“Nay, nay, he’s noan at Gimmerton,” said Joseph.
“不,不,他不在吉默顿,”Joseph说。 —

“I’s niver wonder but he’s at t’ bothom of a bog-hoile.
“我不会惊讶他在一个泥塘的底部。” —

This visitation worn’t for nowt, and I wod hev’ ye to look out, Miss—yah muh be t’ next.
这次的访问可不是白来的,我要你小心,小姐,你可能是下一个。 —

Thank Hivin for all!
感谢上天! —

All warks togither for gooid to them as is chozzen, and piked out fro’ th’ rubbidge!
一切都为被选中的人而运作,从废墟中挑选出来的人啊! —

Yah knaw whet t’ Scripture ses.
你们都知道经上怎么说的。 —

” And he began quoting several texts, referring us to chapters and verses where we might find them.
“然后他开始引用几个经文,告诉我们可以在哪些章节和节中找到它们。

I, having vainly begged the wilful girl to rise and remove her wet things, left him preaching and her shivering, and betook myself to bed with little Hareton, who slept as fast as if everyone had been sleeping round him.
我曾经徒劳地请求这个任性的女孩起来脱掉湿衣服,然后我就离开了,让他继续说教,她在那里冷得发抖,我带着小哈里顿一起上床睡觉,他睡得像个死人一样。 —

I heard Joseph read on a while afterwards;
后来我听到约瑟夫还在读, —

then I distinguished his slow step on the ladder, and then I dropped asleep.
然后我听到他缓慢的脚步声爬上梯子,然后我就睡着了。

Coming down somewhat later than usual, I saw, by the sunbeams piercing the chinks of the shutters, Miss Catherine still seated near the fireplace.
出来的时候比平常晚一些,透过百叶窗的缝隙,我看到凯瑟琳小姐仍然坐在壁炉旁。 —

The house-door was ajar, too;
房门也开了一条缝, —

light entered from its unclosed windows;
光线从未关上的窗户里透了进来。 —

Hindley had come out, and stood on the kitchen hearth, haggard and drowsy.
哈德利走出来,站在厨房的炉边,憔悴而昏昏欲睡。

“What ails you, Cathy?” he was saying when I entered:
“凯西,你怎么了?”他说着当我进来时: —

“you look as dismal as a drowned whelp.
“你看起来如此沮丧,像只弄湿的小狗。 —

Why are you so damp and pale, child?”
你为什么这么潮湿和苍白,孩子?”

“I’ve been wet,” she answered reluctantly, “and I’m cold, that’s all.”
“我弄湿了,”她勉强回答道,“我冷,就这些。”

“Oh, she is naughty!” I cried, perceiving the master to be tolerably sober.
“哦,她真淘气!”我喊道,看到主人还算清醒。 —

“She got steeped in the shower of yesterday evening, and there she has sat the night through, and I couldn’t prevail on her to stir.”
“她在昨天晚上的雨淋了个透,结果她整夜都坐在那里,我劝不动她起来。”

Mr. Earnshaw stared at us in surprise.
Earnshaw先生惊讶地盯着我们。 —

“The night through,” he repeated.
“整夜?”他重复道, —

“What kept her up?
“她是怎么熬过来的? —

not fear of the thunder, surely?
不会是害怕雷声吧? —

That was over hours since.”
那早就结束了好几个小时了。”

Neither of us wished to mention Heathcliff’s absence, as long as we could conceal it;
我们俩都不想提起希斯克利夫不在的事,只要我们能隐瞒就隐瞒。 —

so I replied, I didn’t know how she took it into her head to sit up;
所以我回答说,我不知道她怎么想起来熬夜, —

and she said nothing. The morning was fresh and cool;
她什么都没说。早晨清新凉爽; —

I threw back the lattice, and presently the room filled with sweet scents from the garden;
我拉开窗格,房间里很快充满了花园里的香气; —

but Catherine called peevishly to me, “Ellen, shut the window. I’m starving!
但是凯瑟琳生气地对我喊道:“埃伦,关上窗户。我饿死了! —

” And her teeth chattered as she shrank closer to the almost extinguished embers.
“她生病了,”亨德利说着,握住她的手腕,“我想这就是她不肯上床的原因。该死!

“She’s ill,” said Hindley, taking her wrist;
“我不想在这里再被麻烦到生病了。 —

“I suppose that’s the reason she would not go to bed.
你为什么要冒雨出去? —

Damn it!
” —

I don’t want to be troubled with more sickness here.
“像往常一样,追着那些小伙子跑!”约瑟夫嘶哑着说道, —

What took you into the rain?”
趁我们犹豫之际插上他那邪恶的舌头。

“Running after t’ lads, as usuald!” croaked Joseph, catching an opportunity from our hesitation to thrust in his evil tongue.
“如果我是您,先生,我就用木板狠狠地关上他们所有人的脸,不分贵贱! —

“If I war yah, maister, I’d just slam t’ boards i’ their faces all on ’em, gentle and simple!
你从不一天不来,而那只林顿家的猫总是会悄悄溜过来;还有尼莉小姐,她是个好姑娘! —

Never a day ut yah’re off, but yon cat o’ Linton comes sneaking hither;
她坐在厨房里等着您进来,您刚进一扇门, —

and Miss Nelly, shoo’s a fine lass!
他就出另一扇门。 —

shoo sits watching for ye i’ t’ kitchen;
“坏蛋!”亨德利低声咆哮着, —

and as yah’re in at one door, he’s out at t’other;
“他拿着那些布手帕,拿走了半个已经冷却的罐头。” —

and, then, wer grand lady goes a-courting of her side!
然后大娘们儿去追求她那一方! —

It’s bonny behaviour, lurking amang t’ fields, after twelve o’ t’ night, wi’ that fahl, flaysome divil of a gipsy, Heathcliff!
在夜晚十二点后,在那个可怕的吉普赛人希斯克里夫的陪同下,在田野间潜伏,这是漂亮的行为! —

They think I’m blind;
他们以为我瞎了,但我不是: —

but I’m noan: nowt ut t’ soart!
我可不是那样子的人! —

—I seed young Linton boath coming and going, and I seed yah” (directing his discourse to me), “yah gooid fur nowt, slattenly witch!
我看到了年轻的林顿来来往往,我还看见你这个无用的、邋遢的女巫! —

nip up and bolt into th’ house, t’ minute yah heard t’ maister’s horse-fit clatter up t’ road.”
听到主人的马儿嘈杂地跑上大路,你立刻溜进屋里。

“Silence, eavesdropper!” cried Catherine;
“闭嘴,偷听者!”凯瑟琳喊道, —

“none of your insolence before me!
“在我面前不准你嚣张! —

Edgar Linton came yesterday by chance, Hindley;
埃德加林顿昨天碰巧来了,辛德利; —

and it was I who told him to be off:
我是让他离开的, —

because I knew you would not like to have met him as you were.”
因为我知道你不愿意在你这样的情况下见到他。”

“You lie, Cathy, no doubt,” answered her brother, “and you are a confounded simpleton!
“你撒谎,凯茜,毫无疑问。”她的兄弟回答道,“你真是个蠢货! —

But never mind Linton at present:
不过暂且不说林顿: —

tell me, were you not with Heathcliff last night?
请告诉我,你昨晚不是和希斯克里夫在一起吗? —

Speak the truth, now. You need not be afraid of harming him:
说实话吧。你不用担心伤害他。 —

though I hate him as much as ever, he did me a good turn a short time since that will make my conscience tender of breaking his neck.
尽管我仍然非常讨厌他,但他最近对我做了一件好事,这让我良心不忍心打断他的脖子。 —

To prevent it, I shall send him about his business this very morning;
为了防止这种情况发生,我将在今天早上派他离开; —

and after he’s gone, I’d advise you all to look sharp:
之后,我建议你们都要保持警惕: —

I shall only have the more humour for you.”
我只会更加挑剔你们。

“I never saw Heathcliff last night,” answered Catherine, beginning to sob bitterly:
“我昨晚没见到希斯克利夫,”凯瑟琳回答道,开始伤心地抽泣, —

“and if you do turn him out of doors, I’ll go with him.
“如果你要把他赶出去,我会跟他一起走的。 —

But, perhaps, you’ll never have an opportunity:
但是,也许你永远都没有机会了: —

perhaps, he’s gone.
也许他已经走了。 —

” Here she burst into uncontrollable grief, and the remainder of her words were inarticulate.
”她突然失控地哭泣起来,剩下的几句话都无法表达出来。

Hindley lavished on her a torrent of scornful abuse, and bade her get to her room immediately, or she shouldn’t cry for nothing!
韩德利对她倾泻出一连串嘲笑的谩骂,并命令她立刻回房间,否则她哭也不会有好处! —

I obliged her to obey; and I shall never forget what a scene she acted when we reached her chamber:
我强迫她服从,我永远不会忘记当我们到达她的房间时她所表现出的场景: —

it terrified me.
它吓到了我。 —

I thought she was going mad, and I begged Joseph to run for the doctor.
我以为她要发疯了,于是恳求约瑟夫去请医生。 —

It proved the commencement of delirium:
这证明了她开始出现神智不清的症状。 —

Mr. Kenneth, as soon as he saw her, pronounced her dangerously ill;
肯尼斯先生一看到她,就说她病得很重, —

she had a fever.
发烧了。 —

He bled her, and he told me to let her live on whey and water-gruel, and take care she did not throw herself downstairs or out of the window;
他给她放血,并告诉我让她靠喝乳清和水糊养着,还得小心她不要跳楼或者从窗户跳下去。 —

and then he left: for he had enough to do in the parish, where two or three miles was the ordinary distance between cottage and cottage.
然后他就走了,因为他在教区里忙得不可开交,那里的小屋之间常常隔着两三英里。

Though I cannot say I made a gentle nurse, and Joseph and the master were no better, and though our patient was as wearisome and headstrong as a patient could be, she weathered it through.
虽然我不能说自己是个温柔的护士,约瑟夫和主人也不行,而我们的病人又固执又令人疲倦,但她还是恢复了过来。 —

Old Mrs. Linton paid us several visits, to be sure, and set things to rights, and scolded and ordered us all;
老林顿太太多次来看望我们,确保一切都好,并且责骂和命令我们所有人。 —

and when Catherine was convalescent, she insisted on conveying her to Thrushcross Grange:
当凯瑟琳康复后,她坚持要将她送到撞鸟谷庄, —

for which deliverance we were very grateful.
对于这样的解救我们非常感激。 —

But the poor dame had reason to repent of her kindness:
但这位可怜的女人后悔了她的善良: —

she and her husband both took the fever, and died within a few days of each other.
她和丈夫都感染了热病,不久后相继去世了。

Our young lady returned to us saucier and more passionate, and haughtier than ever.
我们的年轻女士回来时更加放肆和激情,比以往更加傲慢。 —

Heathcliff had never been heard of since the evening of the thunder-storm;
自从那次雷雨之夜以来,希斯克利夫再也没有音讯。 —

and, one day, I had the misfortune, when she had provoked me exceedingly, to lay the blame of his disappearance on her:
并且有一天,不幸的是,在她极度激怒我时,我把他失踪的责任归咎于她。 —

where indeed it belonged, as she well knew.
而事实正是如此,她心知肚明。 —

From that period, for several months, she ceased to hold any communication with me, save in the relation of a mere servant.
从那时起,几个月里,她除了作为一名普通的仆人与我保持沟通外,再也没有别的交流了。 —

Joseph fell under a ban also: he would speak his mind, and lecture her all the same as if she were a little girl;
约瑟夫也遭到了谴责:他总是直言不讳地训斥她,好像她还是个小女孩; —

and she esteemed herself a woman, and our mistress, and thought that her recent illness gave her a claim to be treated with consideration.
而她视自己为一个女人,视我们为她的主人,并认为她最近的病情给了她受到尊重的权利。 —

Then the doctor had said that she would not bear crossing much;
那时医生说她不能太过受到打搅; —

she ought to have her own way;
她应该得到自己想要的方式; —

and it was nothing less than murder in her eyes for any one to presume to stand up and contradict her.
在她眼里,任何人若敢站出来反驳她,那就绝对是谋杀。 —

From Mr. Earnshaw and his companions she kept aloof;
她与Earnshaw先生和他的同伴保持距离; —

and tutored by Kenneth, and serious threats of a fit that often attended her rages, her brother allowed her whatever she pleased to demand, and generally avoided aggravating her fiery temper.
在Kenneth的教导和经常伴随她的暴怒发作的严重威胁下,她的兄弟准许她无论要求什么,通常避免激怒她的火爆脾气。 —

He was rather too indulgent in humouring her caprices; not from affection, but from pride:
他在纵容她的奇想方面实在太过于宽容了;不是出于爱,而是出于自豪: —

he wished earnestly to see her bring honour to the family by an alliance with the Lintons, and as long as she let him alone she might trample on us like slaves, for aught he cared!
他真诚地希望她能通过与林顿家族结盟给家族带来荣誉,只要她不去打扰他,不管她如何践踏我们像奴隶一样,他都不在乎! —

Edgar Linton, as multitudes have been before and will be after him, was infatuated:
就像许多人在他之前和之后一样,埃德加·林顿也糊涂了; —

and believed himself the happiest man alive on the day he led her to Gimmerton Chapel, three years subsequent to his father’s death.
他相信自己是最幸福的人,因为他带着她步入吉默顿礼拜堂的那一天,距离他父亲去世已经过去了三年。

Much against my inclination, I was persuaded to leave Wuthering Heights and accompany her here.
虽然我非常不情愿,但还是被说服离开了呜呼亭,跟她一起来到这里。 —

Little Hareton was nearly five years old, and I had just begun to teach him his letters.
小Hareton将近五岁了,我刚开始教他字母。我们分别的时候很伤心; —

We made a sad parting;

but Catherine’s tears were more powerful than ours.
但是凯瑟琳的眼泪比我们的更加有力。 —

When I refused to go, and when she found her entreaties did not move me, she went lamenting to her husband and brother.
当我拒绝离开时,当她发现她的乞求不能动摇我时,她去哭诉给她的丈夫和兄弟。 —

The former offered me munificent wages;
前者给了我丰厚的工资; —

the latter ordered me to pack up:
后者命令我收拾行李: —

he wanted no women in the house, he said, now that there was no mistress;
他说,既然没有女主人了,他家不需要女人; —

and as to Hareton, the curate should take him in hand, by-and-by. And so I had but one choice left:
至于Hareton,牧师会慢慢教他的。所以我只有一个选择: —

to do as I was ordered.
按照命令去做。 —

I told the master he got rid of all decent people only to run to ruin a little faster;
我告诉主人他只是为了更快地走向毁灭而摆脱了所有体面的人; —

I kissed Hareton, said good-by;
我吻了Hareton,说了再见; —

and since then he has been a stranger:
从那以后,他就成了陌生人: —

and it’s very queer to think it, but I’ve no doubt he has completely forgotten all about Ellen Dean, and that he was ever more than all the world to her and she to him!
很奇怪,但是我毫不怀疑他完全忘记了Ellen Dean,以及他对她的一切和她对他的一切!


* * * * *

At this point of the housekeeper’s story she chanced to glance towards the time-piece over the chimney;
在讲述服务员的故事时,她偶然间瞥向壁炉上的时钟, —

and was in amazement on seeing the minute-hand measure half-past one.
发现指针已经指到了半过一点钟。 —

She would not hear of staying a second longer:
她不想再待一分钟了。 —

in truth, I felt rather disposed to defer the sequel of her narrative myself.
实际上,我自己也有些不愿意听她的故事继续下去。 —

And now that she is vanished to her rest, and I have meditated for another hour or two, I shall summon courage to go also, in spite of aching laziness of head and limbs.
现在她已经消失入睡,而我又思考了另外一两个小时,我将鼓起勇气离开,尽管头脑和四肢都感到疲倦。