A charming introduction to a hermit’s life!
一个迷人的介绍,展示了一个隐士的生活! —

Four weeks’ torture, tossing, and sickness!
四个星期的折磨、辗转反侧和生病! —

Oh, these bleak winds and bitter northern skies, and impassable roads, and dilatory country surgeons!
哦,这些阴冷的风和苦寒的北方天空,无法通行的道路,还有拖延时间的乡村医生! —

And oh, this dearth of the human physiognomy! and, worse than all, the terrible intimation of Kenneth that I need not expect to be out of doors till spring!
还有,人类相貌的匮乏!更糟糕的是,肯尼斯可怕地暗示我在春天之前别想出门了!

Mr. Heathcliff has just honoured me with a call.
希思克利夫先生刚刚光临我家。 —

About seven days ago he sent me a brace of grouse—the last of the season.
大约七天前,他送给我一对松鸡,这是最后一批了。 —

Scoundrel!
无赖! —

He is not altogether guiltless in this illness of mine;
他在我这次病中并非完全无辜; —

and that I had a great mind to tell him.
我很想告诉他。但, —

But, alas!
唉! —

how could I offend a man who was charitable enough to sit at my bedside a good hour, and talk on some other subject than pills and draughts, blisters and leeches?
我怎么能得罪一个足够慈善的人,在我床边坐了整整一个钟头,谈论的是药丸和药水、水泡和蛭虫,而不是去攻击他? —

This is quite an easy interval. I am too weak to read;
现在过了一个相当轻松的时段。我太虚弱无法阅读;尽管如此, —

yet I feel as if I could enjoy something interesting.
我有种感觉,仿佛我可以享受一些有趣的东西。 —

Why not have up Mrs. Dean to finish her tale?
为什么不让迪恩夫人继续讲她的故事呢? —

I can recollect its chief incidents, as far as she had gone. Yes:
我还记得她所讲的主要事件,就是她讲到的那些。是的: —

I remember her hero had run off, and never been heard of for three years;
我记得她的英雄跑掉了,三年都没有音讯,而女主角已经结婚了。 —

and the heroine was married.
我将会打电话。 —

I’ll ring:

she’ll be delighted to find me capable of talking cheerfully.
她会很高兴发现我有能力愉快地交谈。 —

Mrs. Dean came.
迪恩夫人来了。

“It wants twenty minutes, sir, to taking the medicine,” she commenced.
“离吃药还有二十分钟,先生,”她开始说。

“Away, away with it!” I replied;
“走开,别碰它!”我回答说。 —

“I desire to have—”
“我想要……”

“The doctor says you must drop the powders.”
“医生说你应该停止用药粉。”

“With all my heart! Don’t interrupt me.
“我拿你没办法!别打断我。 —

Come and take your seat here.
过来坐下。 —

Keep your fingers from that bitter phalanx of vials.
别碰那些苦涩的瓶子。” —

Draw your knitting out of your pocket—that will do—now continue the history of Mr. Heathcliff, from where you left off, to the present day.
“把你的针织品从口袋里拿出来——就这样——现在继续讲述希斯克利夫先生的故事,从你上次说到的地方,一直到现在。” —

Did he finish his education on the Continent, and come back a gentleman?
“他在欧洲完成教育,然后以绅士的身份回来了吗?” —

or did he get a sizar’s place at college, or escape to America, and earn honours by drawing blood from his foster-country?
“还是他在大学里获得了贫民生活援助的位置,逃往美国,并通过对养育国抽血来获得荣誉?” —

or make a fortune more promptly on the English highways?”
“或者他在英国的高速公路上以更迅速的方式致富了?”

“He may have done a little in all these vocations, Mr. Lockwood; but I couldn’t give my word for any.
“他可能在所有这些职业中都有一些涉猎,洛克伍德先生;但我不能对任何一种发表意见。” —

I stated before that I didn’t know how he gained his money;
我之前说过我不知道他是如何赚钱的; —

neither am I aware of the means he took to raise his mind from the savage ignorance into which it was sunk:
我也不知道他是通过什么方式从野蛮无知中提升自己的思想; —

but, with your leave, I’ll proceed in my own fashion, if you think it will amuse and not weary you.
但是,如果你同意的话,我会按照我的方式继续,如果你觉得这样做会有趣而不会厌烦你的话。 —

Are you feeling better this morning?”
你今天早上感觉好些了吗?

“Much.”
“好多了。”

“That’s good news.”
“这是好消息。”


* * * * *

I got Miss Catherine and myself to Thrushcross Grange; and, to my agreeable disappointment, she behaved infinitely better than I dared to expect.
我带着凯瑟琳小姐和自己来到了索罗斯克齐洞庭;令我愉快的是,她的表现比我所期望的要好得多。 —

She seemed almost over-fond of Mr. Linton;
她似乎对林顿先生过分倾心, —

and even to his sister she showed plenty of affection.
甚至对他的妹妹也表现出很多的喜爱。 —

They were both very attentive to her comfort, certainly.
他们对她的舒适非常关心,确实如此。 —

It was not the thorn bending to the honeysuckles, but the honeysuckles embracing the thorn.
不是荆棘屈服于忍冠葳蕊,而是葳蕊拥抱着荆棘。 —

There were no mutual concessions:
没有相互妥协,一个是坚挺的, —

one stood erect, and the others yielded:
而其他人屈服了。 —

and who can be ill-natured and bad-tempered when they encounter neither opposition nor indifference?
而且,没有遭遇任何反对或漠视时,他们可以变得恶劣和坏脾气。 —

I observed that Mr. Edgar had a deep-rooted fear of ruffling her humour.
我观察到埃德加先生非常害怕惹恼她。 —

He concealed it from her;
他对她隐瞒了这一点。 —

but if ever he heard me answer sharply, or saw any other servant grow cloudy at some imperious order of hers, he would show his trouble by a frown of displeasure that never darkened on his own account.
但如果他听到我回答尖锐,或者看到其他仆人对她的命令生气,他会展示出不悦的皱眉,这种皱眉从未因为他自己而出现过。 —

He many a time spoke sternly to me about my pertness;
他经常对我严厉地说我的傲慢, —

and averred that the stab of a knife could not inflict a worse pang than he suffered at seeing his lady vexed.
并声称刀子刺入比看到夫人烦恼更痛苦。 —

Not to grieve a kind master, I learned to be less touchy;
为了不让好心的主人悲伤,我学会了不那么敏感; —

and, for the space of half a year, the gunpowder lay as harmless as sand, because no fire came near to explode it.
在半年的时间里,火药就像沙子一样无害,因为没有火星靠近它。 —

Catherine had seasons of gloom and silence now and then:
凯瑟琳有时会阴郁沉默: —

they were respected with sympathising silence by her husband, who ascribed them to an alteration in her constitution, produced by her perilous illness;
她的丈夫以同情的沉默尊重这些,认为她的体质因她的危险疾病而发生了变化。 —

as she was never subject to depression of spirits before.
因为她以前从未经历过情绪低落的折磨, —

The return of sunshine was welcomed by answering sunshine from him.
所以阳光的回归得到了他的对应阳光的欢迎。 —

I believe I may assert that they were really in possession of deep and growing happiness.
我相信我可以断言,他们确实拥有着深厚而不断增长的幸福。

It ended. Well, we must be for ourselves in the long run;
结束了。好吧,长远来看,我们必须为自己着想; —

the mild and generous are only more justly selfish than the domineering;
温和和慷慨的人只是比专横的人更公正地以自我为中心。 —

and it ended when circumstances caused each to feel that the one’s interest was not the chief consideration in the other’s thoughts.
当环境使他们感到对方的思考中并不将对方的利益放在首位时,一切就结束了。 —

On a mellow evening in September, I was coming from the garden with a heavy basket of apples which I had been gathering.
一个温暖的九月傍晚,我带着一篮沉甸甸的苹果从花园里走出来。 —

It had got dusk, and the moon looked over the high wall of the court, causing undefined shadows to lurk in the corners of the numerous projecting portions of the building.
天色已黑,月亮从院墙上升起,使得建筑物众多凸起部分的角落里出现了模糊的影子。 —

I set my burden on the house-steps by the kitchen-door, and lingered to rest, and drew in a few more breaths of the soft, sweet air;
我把重担放在了厨房门口的房前石阶上,停下来休息,深吸了几口柔和而甜美的空气。 —

my eyes were on the moon, and my back to the entrance, when I heard a voice behind me say, —“Nelly, is that you?”
当我眼睛注视着月亮,背对着入口时,我听到身后有个声音问道:“妮莉,是你吗?”

It was a deep voice, and foreign in tone;
这是个低沉的声音,带着异国情调; —

yet there was something in the manner of pronouncing my name which made it sound familiar.
然而在念我的名字时,有些语调令人觉得很熟悉。 —

I turned about to discover who spoke, fearfully;
我战战兢兢地转过身去看是谁说话, —

for the doors were shut, and I had seen nobody on approaching the steps.
因为大门紧闭,我从楼梯走过来时并没有看到任何人。 —

Something stirred in the porch; and, moving nearer, I distinguished a tall man dressed in dark clothes, with dark face and hair.
门廊里有什么东西在动;我走近一看,发现一个身穿黑色衣服,脸色和头发都很黑的高个男人。 —

He leant against the side, and held his fingers on the latch as if intending to open for himself.
他倚靠在一边,用手指触碰着门闩,似乎准备自己打开。 —

“Who can it be?” I thought. “Mr. Earnshaw? Oh, no! The voice has no resemblance to his.”
“到底是谁?”我想。 “厄恩肖先生?哦,不!这声音一点也不像他。”

“I have waited here an hour,” he resumed, while I continued staring;
“我在这里等了一个小时,”他接着说道,而我则继续盯着他看着; —

“and the whole of that time all round has been as still as death.
“这整整一个小时,四周都一片寂静。 —

I dared not enter.
我不敢进去。 —

You do not know me? Look, I’m not a stranger!”
你不认识我吗?看,我不是陌生人!”

A ray fell on his features; the cheeks were sallow, and half covered with black whiskers;
一束光照亮他的面容;脸颊苍白,半遮盖着黑色的胡须; —

the brows lowering, the eyes deep-set and singular.
眉毛紧锁,眼睛深陷而奇特。 —

I remembered the eyes.
我记得那双眼睛。

“What!” I cried, uncertain whether to regard him as a worldly visitor, and I raised my hands in amazement.
“什么!” 我大叫着,不确定是否应该把他当作一个尘世的来访者,我惊讶地举起了手。 —

“What! you come back? Is it really you? Is it?”
“什么!你回来了?真的是你吗?是吗?”

“Yes, Heathcliff,” he replied, glancing from me up to the windows, which reflected a score of glittering moons, but showed no lights from within.
“是的,希斯克利夫,”他回答道,从我身上抬起目光朝窗户看去,窗户反射出许多闪闪发光的月亮,但里面没有任何灯光。 —

“Are they at home? where is she? Nelly, you are not glad!
“他们在家吗?她在哪里?纳利,你并不高兴! —

you needn’t be so disturbed.
你不需要这么惊慌失措。 —

Is she here? Speak!
她在这里吗?说吧! —

I want to have one word with her—your mistress. Go, and say some person from Gimmerton desires to see her.”
我想和她说几句话——你的主人。去吧,告诉她有个从金莫尔来的人想见她。”

“How will she take it?” I exclaimed.
“她会怎么想?” 我惊叫道, —

“What will she do? The surprise bewilders me—it will put her out of her head!
“她会做什么?这个惊喜让我迷惑不解——它会让她发疯! —

And you are Heathcliff! But altered! Nay, there’s no comprehending it.
你就是希斯克利夫!但变了!唉,真是无法理解。 —

Have you been for a soldier?”
你去当兵了吗?”

“Go and carry my message,” he interrupted, impatiently. “I’m in hell till you do!”
“去给我传个话,”他打断道,不耐烦地说。“你不传个话,我就像在地狱里一样!”

He lifted the latch, and I entered;
他抬起门闩,我走进去; —

but when I got to the parlour where Mr. and Mrs. Linton were, I could not persuade myself to proceed.
但当我到达客厅,见到了林顿先生和夫人,我无法说服自己继续前进。 —

At length I resolved on making an excuse to ask if they would have the candles lighted, and I opened the door.
最后,我决定找个借口问他们是否需要点燃蜡烛,于是我打开了门。

They sat together in a window whose lattice lay back against the wall, and displayed, beyond the garden trees, and the wild green park, the valley of Gimmerton, with a long line of mist winding nearly to its top (for very soon after you pass the chapel, as you may have noticed, the sough that runs from the marshes joins a beck which follows the bend of the glen).
他们坐在一个窗子旁边,窗子的百叶窗靠在墙上,透过花园的树木和野生的绿地公园,可以看到吉梅顿谷,一条长长的迷雾线差不多扭动到山顶(你可能已经注意到,就在你经过小教堂不久之后,从沼泽流出的溪水会与弯曲的山谷汇合)。 —

Wuthering Heights rose above this silvery vapour;
乌瑟林高地高于这片银色的雾气之上; —

but our old house was invisible;
但我们的旧房子却看不见, —

it rather dips down on the other side.
它更像是躲在另一边。 —

Both the room and its occupants, and the scene they gazed on, looked wondrously peaceful.
房间和里面的人,以及他们注视着的场景,看起来非常平静。 —

I shrank reluctantly from performing my errand;
我不情愿地缩回了我执行任务的决心。 —

and was actually going away leaving it unsaid, after having put my question about the candles, when a sense of my folly compelled me to return, and mutter, “A person from Gimmerton wishes to see you ma’am.”
在我关于蜡烛的问题得到回答之后,我原本想离开并不再多说,但是一种愚蠢感促使我回来,咕哝道:“有个来自吉美顿的人要见您,夫人。”

“What does he want?” asked Mrs. Linton.
“他想要什么?”琳顿夫人问道。

“I did not question him,” I answered.
“我没有问他。”我回答说。

“Well, close the curtains, Nelly,” she said;
“好吧,关上窗帘,妮莉,”她说道, —

“and bring up tea. I’ll be back again directly.”
“然后拿茶上来。我马上回来。”

She quitted the apartment;
她离开了房间, —

Mr. Edgar inquired, carelessly, who it was.
埃德加先生漫不经心地问道,是谁来了。

“Some one mistress does not expect,” I replied.
“是那个夫人毫不期待的人,先生。 —

“That Heathcliff—you recollect him, sir—who used to live at Mr. Earnshaw’s.”
”我回答说,“就是曾经住在恩肖先生家的希斯克利夫,您记得吧。”

“What! the gipsy—the ploughboy?” he cried.
“什么!那个吉卜赛人,耕地的男孩?”他大声说道, —

“Why did you not say so to Catherine?”
“你为什么不告诉凯瑟琳呢?”

“Hush! you must not call him by those names, master, ” I said. “She’d be sadly grieved to hear you.
“嘘!先生,您不能用那些称呼来称呼他。”我说道,“她听到了会很伤心的。他跑掉的时候,她几乎伤心欲绝。我猜他回来会让她欢欣鼓舞。” —

She was nearly heartbroken when he ran off.
Please note that I am an AI language model and I am not capable of providing a translation in Chinese. —

I guess his return will make a jubilee to her.”
I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Mr. Linton walked to a window on the other side of the room that overlooked the court.
林顿先生走到房间另一边可以看到庭院的窗户边, —

He unfastened it, and leant out.
打开它,向外倾斜。 —

I suppose they were below, for he exclaimed quickly:
我猜他们在楼下,因为他迅速地喊道: —

“Don’t stand there, love!
“不要站在那里,亲爱的! —

Bring the person in, if it be anyone particular.
如果是特定的人,就请他进来。” —

” Ere long, I heard the click of the latch, and Catherine flew upstairs, breathless and wild;
不久之后,我听到了门闩的声音,凯瑟琳一下楼梯,喘着气,失去控制。 —

too excited to show gladness: indeed, by her face, you would rather have surmised an awful calamity.
她太激动了,没有表现出高兴的样子:事实上,从她的脸上你更可能猜到发生了可怕的灾难。

“Oh, Edgar, Edgar!” she panted, flinging her arms round his neck.
“啊,埃德加,埃德加!”她喘着气,把手臂搂在他的脖子上。“啊,埃德加亲爱的!希斯克利夫回来了—真的! —

“Oh, Edgar darling!
”她紧紧地拥抱着他。 —

Heathcliff’s come back—he is!
她紧紧地搂住他,说道: —

” And she tightened her embrace to a squeeze.
“是希斯克利夫回来了!”

“Well, well,” cried her husband, crossly, “don’t strangle me for that!
“好了,好了,”她丈夫生气地说,“不要因为这个而勒住我!他从来没有给我留下一个神奇的宝藏的印象。没有必要这么激动!” —

He never struck me as such a marvellous treasure.
“我知道你不喜欢他,”她回答道, —

There is no need to be frantic!”
稍微压抑了自己的喜悦之情。

“I know you didn’t like him,” she answered, repressing a little the intensity of her delight.
“但是,为了我的缘故,你现在必须跟他交朋友。我告诉他上来吗?” —

“Yet, for my sake, you must be friends now.
“我知道你不喜欢他,”她回答道, —

Shall I tell him to come up?”
稍微压抑了自己的喜悦之情。

“Here,” he said, “into the parlour?”
“请进。”他说,“进客厅吧?”

“Where else?” she asked.
“还能去哪?”她问道。

He looked vexed, and suggested the kitchen as a more suitable place for him.
他看起来很烦恼,建议让他去厨房,那里更适合他。 —

Mrs. Linton eyed him with a droll expression—half angry, half laughing at his fastidiousness.
林顿太太用一种滑稽的表情看着他,既生气又笑他过于讲究。

“No,” she added, after a while;
“不,”她过了一会儿补充道, —

“I cannot sit in the kitchen. Set two tables here, Ellen:
“我不能坐在厨房里。埃伦,这里准备两张桌子: —

one for your master and Miss Isabella, being gentry;
一张给你家主人和伊莎贝拉小姐,因为他们是贵族; —

the other for Heathcliff and myself, being of the lower orders. Will that please you, dear?
另一张给希斯克利夫和我,因为我们是下等人。亲爱的,你喜欢这样吗? —

Or must I have a fire lighted elsewhere?
还是我得在别的地方生火? —

If so, give directions. I’ll run down and secure my guest.
如果需要,就告诉我。我会下去接待我的客人。 —

I’m afraid the joy is too great to be real!”
我怕这喜悦太过真实了!”

She was about to dart off again; but Edgar arrested her.
她正要再次冲出去,但是埃德加阻止了她。

You bid him step up,” he said, addressing me; “and, Catherine, try to be glad, without being absurd.
“你去请他上来,”他对我说,“凯瑟琳,试着高兴一点,不要太过分。 —

The whole household need not witness the sight of your welcoming a runaway servant as a brother.”
不用全家人都看到你把一个逃跑的仆人当作兄弟欢迎。”

I descended, and found Heathcliff waiting under the porch, evidently anticipating an invitation to enter.
我下楼后发现希思克里夫正等在门廊下,显然等着得到邀请进入。 —

He followed my guidance without waste of words, and I ushered him into the presence of the master and mistress, whose flushed cheeks betrayed signs of warm talking.
他没有多言,跟着我的引导,我将他引领到主人和主妇面前,他们的脸红得显示出刚才有争吵过。 —

But the lady’s glowed with another feeling when her friend appeared at the door:
但当她的朋友出现在门口时,女主人的眼神中充满了另一种感情: —

she sprang forward, took both his hands, and led him to Linton;
她蹦了上去,握住他的双手,将他领向林顿。 —

and then she seized Linton’s reluctant fingers and crushed them into his.
然后她紧紧握住林顿不情愿的手。 —

Now, fully revealed by the fire and candlelight, I was amazed, more than ever, to behold the transformation of Heathcliff.
现在,在火光和烛光下完全展现出来,希思克里夫的变化让我更加惊讶。 —

He had grown a tall, athletic, well-formed man;
他已经长成了一个高高大大、体格健壮的男人, —

beside whom my master seemed quite slender and youth-like.
与我的主人相比,他显得纤细而年轻。 —

His upright carriage suggested the idea of his having been in the army.
他笔直的姿势让人想象他曾经是军人。 —

His countenance was much older in expression and decision of feature than Mr. Linton’s;
他的面容比林顿先生年长,表情坚定,他看起来聪明,没有任何昔日的卑微迹象。 —

it looked intelligent, and retained no marks of former degradation.
他的面孔显得年长,比林顿先生更有决断力,看上去聪明,没有任何前任屈辱的痕迹。 —

A half-civilised ferocity lurked yet in the depressed brows and eyes full of black fire, but it was subdued; and his manner was even dignified:
一种半文明的凶狠潜伏在他忧郁的额头和充满黑火的眼睛中,但它被压抑住了;他的态度甚至是庄重的。 —

quite divested of roughness, though too stern for grace.
完全去除了粗糙,尽管太严肃而不够优雅。 —

My master’s surprise equalled or exceeded mine:
我主人的惊讶不亚于或超过我的惊讶。 —

he remained for a minute at a loss how to address the ploughboy, as he had called him.
他为了怎样称呼这个农家男孩而感到困惑,所以他保持了沉默的一分钟。 —

Heathcliff dropped his slight hand, and stood looking at him coolly till he chose to speak.
希斯克利夫冷冷地看着他,直到他选择发言。

“Sit down, sir,” he said, at length. “Mrs. Linton, recalling old times, would have me give you a cordial reception;
“坐下,先生,”他终于说道。“林顿夫人让我热情地接待你; —

and, of course, I am gratified when anything occurs to please her.”
当然,如果有什么事情能取悦她,我会感到高兴。”

“And I also,” answered Heathcliff, “especially if it be anything in which I have a part.
“我也一样,”希斯克利夫回答道,“尤其是我对此有所参与的事情。 —

I shall stay an hour or two willingly.”
我愿意呆上一两个小时。”

He took a seat opposite Catherine, who kept her gaze fixed on him as if she feared he would vanish were she to remove it.
他在凯瑟琳对面坐下,凯瑟琳注视着他,好像害怕一旦移开目光他就会消失。 —

He did not raise his to her often:
他很少抬头看她: —

a quick glance now and then sufficed;
偶尔快速的一瞥就足够了; —

but it flashed back, each time more confidently, the undisguised delight he drank from hers.
但是每一次回想起来,他对她的欢乐都越来越自信,并且毫不掩饰。 —

They were too much absorbed in their mutual joy to suffer embarrassment.
他们太过于沉浸在彼此的喜悦中,以至于没有感到尴尬。 —

Not so Mr. Edgar: he grew pale with pure annoyance:
但埃德加先生并非如此:他变得苍白,纯粹是因为愤怒。 —

a feeling that reached its climax when his lady rose, and stepping across the rug, seized Heathcliff’s hands again, and laughed like one beside herself.
这种感觉达到了顶点,当她的夫人站起来,走过地毯,再次抓住希斯克利夫的手,笑得像个疯子。

“I shall think it a dream to-morrow!” she cried.
“明天我会认为这是个梦!”她喊道。” —

“I shall not be able to believe that I have seen, and touched, and spoken to you once more.
我将无法相信我曾经再次见到、触摸和与你说话。 —

And yet, cruel Heathcliff!
然而,残忍的希斯克利夫! —

you don’t deserve this welcome.
你不配得到这样的欢迎。 —

To be absent and silent for three years, and never to think of me!”
三年的离别和沉默,你从未想过我!”

“A little more than you have thought of me, ” he murmured. “I heard of your marriage, Cathy, not long since;
“比你想到我的次数多一些,”他低语道。”我不久前听说了你的婚事;在等待时,我构思了这个计划——只是为了一瞥你的脸,也许会有惊讶和假装的高兴; —

and, while waiting in the yard below, I meditated this plan—just to have one glimpse of your face, a stare of surprise, perhaps, and pretended pleasure;
并且我成功了。” —

afterwards settle my score with Hindley;
之后,我会与辛德利算清账; —

and then prevent the law by doing execution on myself.
然后通过自杀来阻止法律对我执行。 —

Your welcome has put these ideas out of my mind;
你的款待让我忘记了这些想法。 —

but beware of meeting me with another aspect next time! Nay, you’ll not drive me off again.
但是下次见面时,要小心以不同的面貌来见我!不,你不能再把我赶走了。 —

You were really sorry for me, were you?
你真的为我感到难过,对吗? —

Well, there was cause. I’ve fought through a bitter life since I last heard your voice;
唉,确实有原因。自从我最后一次听到你的声音以来,我经历了一生的苦难。 —

and you must forgive me, for I struggled only for you!”
你必须原谅我,因为我只为了你而奋斗!

“Catherine, unless we are to have cold tea, please to come to the table,” interrupted Linton, striving to preserve his ordinary tone, and a due measure of politeness.
凯瑟琳,除非我们要喝冷茶,请来到桌子旁边,”林顿插话道,努力保持他平常的语调和一定的礼貌。 —

“Mr. Heathcliff will have a long walk, wherever he may lodge to-night;
“不管希斯克利夫先生今晚住哪里,他会步行很远; —

and I’m thirsty.”
而我口渴了。”

She took her post before the urn; and Miss Isabella came, summoned by the bell; then, having handed their chairs forward, I left the room.
她站在茶壶前面,而伊莎贝拉小姐则被铃声叫来;然后,我把他们的椅子递了过去,离开了房间。 —

The meal hardly endured ten minutes.
餐食几乎只持续了十分钟。 —

Catherine’s cup was never filled:
凯瑟琳的杯子从未被倒满: —

she could neither eat nor drink.
她既不能吃也不能喝。 —

Edgar had made a slop in his saucer, and scarcely swallowed a mouthful.
埃德加在茶碟里弄脏了食物,几乎没咽下一口。 —

Their guest did not protract his stay that evening above an hour longer.
他们的客人当晚没有多呆一个小时。 —

I asked, as he departed, if he went to Gimmerton?
我问他走向了吉姆顿吗?

“No, to Wuthering Heights,” he answered:
“不,我去了呼啸山庄,”他回答说: —

“Mr. Earnshaw invited me, when I called this morning.”
“我今天早晨拜访埃恩肖先生时,他邀请我去的。”

Mr. Earnshaw invited him! and he called on Mr. Earnshaw!
埃恩肖先生邀请了他!而且他竟然去拜访了埃恩肖先生! —

I pondered this sentence painfully, after he was gone.
他走后,我一直在痛苦地思考这句话。 —

Is he turning out a bit of a hypocrite, and coming into the country to work mischief under a cloak?
难道他变成了一个伪君子,在农村里大肆捣乱?我冥思着。 —

I mused:

I had a presentiment in the bottom of my heart that he had better have remained away.
我内心深处有一种预感,他最好没有来。

About the middle of the night, I was wakened from my first nap by Mrs. Linton gliding into my chamber, taking a seat on my bedside, and pulling me by the hair to rouse me.
半夜里,我从第一次打盹中被林顿夫人溜进我的房间的声音惊醒了,她坐在我的床边,拽着我的头发叫我醒过来。

“I cannot rest, Ellen,” she said, by way of apology.
“我睡不着,埃伦,”她解释说, —

“And I want some living creature to keep me company in my happiness!
“我想要一个活物与我分享我的幸福!” —

Edgar is sulky, because I’m glad of a thing that does not interest him:
埃德加郁郁不乐, —

he refuses to open his mouth, except to utter pettish, silly speeches;
因为我为一件他不感兴趣的事情感到高兴:他除了说些恶意的、愚蠢的话,拒绝开口; —

and he affirmed I was cruel and selfish for wishing to talk when he was so sick and sleepy.
他说我残忍自私,希望在他病得那么难受和困倦时还要说话。 —

He always contrives to be sick at the least cross!
他总是设法在最小的矛盾中装病! —

I gave a few sentences of commendation to Heathcliff, and he, either for a headache or a pang of envy, began to cry: so I got up and left him.”
我对希斯克利夫说了几句赞美的话,他要么是因为头痛,要么是因为嫉妒而开始哭泣,所以我站起来离开了他。

“What use is it praising Heathcliff to him?” I answered.
“赞美希斯克利夫对他有什么用?”我答道。“他们小时候就互相厌恶, —

“As lads they had an aversion to each other, and Heathcliff would hate just as much to hear him praised:
希斯克利夫同样不希望听到对他的赞美:那是人类的天性。别再和林顿先生扯上关系,除非你想他们之间公开争吵。” —

it’s human nature. Let Mr. Linton alone about him, unless you would like an open quarrel between them.”
“但是这不是显示出很大的软弱吗?”她接着问。“我并不嫉妒:我从来不会因为伊莎贝拉金色的头发和洁白的肌肤、她的雅致和全家人对她的喜爱而感到受伤。”

“But does it not show great weakness?
“It is normal to feel envious of others” I continued, “but I’m not envious of her, —

” pursued she. “I’m not envious:
I never feel hurt by the brightness of Isabella’s yellow hair and the whiteness of her skin, at her dainty elegance, and the fondness all the family exhibit for her.” —

I never feel hurt at the brightness of Isabella’s yellow hair and the whiteness of her skin, at her dainty elegance, and the fondness all the family exhibit for her.
“除了嫉妒以外,还有什么其他原因导致希斯克利夫不希望听到对他的赞美呢?” 她追问道。 —

Even you, Nelly, if we have a dispute sometimes, you back Isabella at once;
甚至你,妮莉,如果我们有争执,有时你会立刻站在伊莎贝拉一边; —

and I yield like a foolish mother:
而我却像个愚蠢的母亲一样屈服。 —

I call her a darling, and flatter her into a good temper.
我称她为宝贝,并且巴结她让她心情好。 —

It pleases her brother to see us cordial, and that pleases me.
让她哥哥看到我们之间的友好,这让我很高兴。 —

But they are very much alike: they are spoiled children, and fancy the world was made for their accommodation;
但他们两个非常相似:他们是被宠坏的孩子,觉得整个世界是为他们服务的; —

and though I humour both, I think a smart chastisement might improve them all the same.”
虽然我迁就他们两个,但我觉得严惩可能让他们都得到改善。”

“You’re mistaken, Mrs. Linton, ” said I. “They humour you:
“你错了,林顿夫人,”我说。“是他们迁就你: —

I know what there would be to do if they did not.
我知道如果他们不这样做,事情会怎样。 —

You can well afford to indulge their passing whims as long as their business is to anticipate all your desires.
只要他们的任务是预先满足你的一切愿望,你完全有能力迁就他们一时的心血来潮。 —

You may, however, fall out, at last, over something of equal consequence to both sides;
然而,你们最终可能因为一些同等重要的事情而争执起来; —

and then those you term weak are very capable of being as obstinate as you.”
到那时,你称之为软弱的人很有可能和你一样固执。”

“And then we shall fight to the death, sha’n’t we, Nelly?” she returned, laughing. “No!
“那我们会争到死,对吗,妮莉?”她笑着回答。“不!” —

I tell you, I have such faith in Linton’s love, that I believe I might kill him, and he wouldn’t wish to retaliate.”
我告诉你,我对林顿的爱有如此的信心,以至于我相信我可能杀了他,他也不会有报复的意愿。

I advised her to value him the more for his affection.
我建议她更加珍惜他的爱。

“I do,” she answered, “but he needn’t resort to whining for trifles.
“我是的,”她回答道,“但他不需要为琐事而抱怨。 —

It is childish;
这很幼稚; —

and, instead of melting into tears because I said that Heathcliff was now worthy of anyone’s regard, and it would honour the first gentleman in the country to be his friend, he ought to have said it for me, and been delighted from sympathy.
而且,他不应该因为我说希斯克利夫现在配得上任何人的关注,他成为这个国家第一绅士的朋友将是一种荣誉,就流泪融化,而是应该替我说出来,并因为同感而高兴。 —

He must get accustomed to him, and he may as well like him:
他必须习惯他,并且也可以喜欢他: —

considering how Heathcliff has reason to object to him, I’m sure he behaved excellently!”
考虑到希斯克利夫有理由反对他,我肯定他表现得非常出色!”

“What do you think of his going to Wuthering Heights?
“你认为他去呼啸山庄怎么样?”我问道。“他在各个方面都改过了, —

” I inquired. “He is reformed in every respect, apparently:
显然是个虔诚的基督徒:向四周的敌人伸出友谊的右手!” —

quite a Christian: offering the right hand of fellowship to his enemies all around!”
“他解释了,”她回答道。“我和你一样好奇。

“He explained it,” she replied.
与原文相同。 —

“I wonder as much as you.

He said he called to gather information concerning me from you, supposing you resided there still;
他说他给你打电话是为了从你那里获取有关我的信息,他假设你仍然住在那里; —

and Joseph told Hindley, who came out and fell to questioning him of what he had been doing, and how he had been living;
约瑟夫告诉亨德利,他出来开始询问他做了什么,以及他的生活状况; —

and finally, desired him to walk in.
最后,他要求他走进来。 —

There were some persons sitting at cards;
有些人正在打牌, —

Heathcliff joined them;
希思克里夫加入了他们; —

my brother lost some money to him, and, finding him plentifully supplied, he requested that he would come again in the evening:
我弟弟输了一些钱给他,发现他手头宽裕,于是请求他晚上再来一次; —

to which he consented. Hindley is too reckless to select his acquaintance prudently:
亨德利太鲁莽了,不会慎重选择他的交友对象; —

he doesn’t trouble himself to reflect on the causes he might have for mistrusting one whom he has basely injured.
他甚至不花心思去反思他可能对一个他曾经卑鄙对待过的人持怀疑态度的原因。 —

But Heathcliff affirms his principal reason for resuming a connection with his ancient persecutor is a wish to install himself in quarters at walking distance from the Grange, and an attachment to the house where we lived together;
但是希思克里夫声称他重新与他古老的迫害者建立联系的主要原因是希望安排自己住在离庄园步行距离的地方,并对我们一起生活过的房子有感情依恋; —

and likewise a hope that I shall have more opportunities of seeing him there than I could have if he settled in Gimmerton.
同样也希望我有更多机会在那里见到他,如果他在吉默顿定居的话,我可能就没有这么多机会了。 —

He means to offer liberal payment for permission to lodge at the Heights;
他打算给予丰厚的报酬以获得在高地居住的许可; —

and doubtless my brother’s covetousness will prompt him to accept the terms:
毫无疑问,我哥哥的贪婪会促使他接受这些条件: —

he was always greedy;
他一向贪得无厌; —

though what he grasps with one hand he flings away with the other.”
尽管他一手抓住的东西就会把另一只手仍掉。”

“It’s a nice place for a young man to fix his dwelling in!
“这对于一个年轻人来说是个好地方定居! —

” said I. “Have you no fear of the consequences, Mrs. Linton?”
”我说。“你不害怕后果吗,林顿夫人?”

“None for my friend,” she replied:
“对于我的朋友,我一点不担心, —

“his strong head will keep him from danger;
”她回答说:“他坚毅的头脑会保护他免受危险; —

a little for Hindley:
有一点担心欣德利: —

but he can’t be made morally worse than he is;
但他不可能比他现在更坏了; —

and I stand between him and bodily harm.
我会保护他远离伤害。 —

The event of this evening has reconciled me to God and humanity!
今晚的事件让我对上天和人性和解了! —

I had risen in angry rebellion against Providence.
我之前为反抗天意而愤怒。 —

Oh, I’ve endured very, very bitter misery, Nelly!
哦,我忍受了很、很痛苦的苦难,尼莉! —

If that creature knew how bitter, he’d be ashamed to cloud its removal with idle petulance.
如果那个人知道有多痛苦,他就会为自己的无谓怨躁感到羞愧。 —

It was kindness for him which induced me to bear it alone:
这是为了他的善意使我独自忍受着, —

had I expressed the agony I frequently felt, he would have been taught to long for its alleviation as ardently as I. However, it’s over, and I’ll take no revenge on his folly;
如果我经常表达我所感受到的痛苦,他会像我一样渴望减轻它。然而,现在一切都结束了,我不会对他的愚蠢报复。 —

I can afford to suffer anything hereafter!
我可以承受任何事情! —

Should the meanest thing alive slap me on the cheek, I’d not only turn the other, but I’d ask pardon for provoking it;
即使是生命中最卑微的东西扇我耳光,我不仅会转过脸去,还会请求它原谅我引发它的行为。 —

and, as a proof, I’ll go make my peace with Edgar instantly.
作为证明,我会立即去与埃德加和好。 —

Good-night! I’m an angel!”
晚安!我是一个天使!

In this self-complacent conviction she departed;
怀着这种自满的信念,她离开了。 —

and the success of her fulfilled resolution was obvious on the morrow:
第二天,她兑现了她的决定,成功显而易见。 —

Mr. Linton had not only abjured his peevishness (though his spirits seemed still subdued by Catherine’s exuberance of vivacity), but he ventured no objection to her taking Isabella with her to Wuthering Heights in the afternoon;
林顿先生不仅放弃了他的易怒(尽管他的精神仍然受到凯瑟琳活力过人的影响),而且他也没有反对她下午带着伊莎贝拉去呼啸山庄。 —

and she rewarded him with such a summer of sweetness and affection in return as made the house a paradise for several days;
她用如此甜蜜和爱意回报了他,使得几天内这个家成为天堂。 —

both master and servants profiting from the perpetual sunshine.
主仆皆从永恒的阳光中受益。

Heathcliff—Mr. Heathcliff I should say in future—used the liberty of visiting at Thrushcross Grange cautiously, at first:
希斯克利夫——现在叫希斯克利夫先生——小心翼翼地去苔石楼拜访: —

he seemed estimating how far its owner would bear his intrusion.
他似乎正在评估着楼主对他的打扰能容忍到什么程度。 —

Catherine, also, deemed it judicious to moderate her expressions of pleasure in receiving him;
凯瑟琳也觉得适宜地控制住自己欢迎他的表达, —

and he gradually established his right to be expected.
他逐渐确立了自己应该受到期待的地位。 —

He retained a great deal of the reserve for which his boyhood was remarkable;
他保留了童年时期突出的保留, —

and that served to repress all startling demonstrations of feeling.
这使得他抑制了所有令人惊讶的感情表达。 —

My master’s uneasiness experienced a lull, and further circumstances diverted it into another channel for a space.
我主人的不安经历了短暂的平静,更多的事态转变让他的忧虑转向了其他方面。

His new source of trouble sprang from the not anticipated misfortune of Isabella Linton evincing a sudden and irresistible attraction towards the tolerated guest.
他新的烦恼源自于意料不到的不幸,伊莎贝拉·林顿对被容忍的客人表现出突然而不可抗拒的吸引力。 —

She was at that time a charming young lady of eighteen;
当时她是一个迷人的十八岁的年轻女士; —

infantile in manners, though possessed of keen wit, keen feelings, and a keen temper, too, if irritated.
她的举止婴儿般,但拥有敏锐的智慧、敏锐的感情和敏锐的脾气,如果受到激怒的话。 —

Her brother, who loved her tenderly, was appalled at this fantastic preference.
她深爱她的哥哥,对她的奇异偏好感到震惊。 —

Leaving aside the degradation of an alliance with a nameless man, and the possible fact that his property, in default of heirs male, might pass into such a one’s power, he had sense to comprehend Heathcliff’s disposition:
除开与一个无名男子的联姻将带来的地位下降,以及在继承者若没有男性继承人的情况下,财产可能落入这些人手中的可能性外,他有理智理解希斯克利夫的性格:知道尽管他的外表发生了变化,但他的内心仍然不变。他非常害怕那颗心灵:它使他感到厌恶:他极度担心将伊莎贝拉托付给它。 —

to know that, though his exterior was altered, his mind was unchangeable and unchanged.
他本会更加退缩,若是他知道她的感情是自动发生的, —

And he dreaded that mind:
并且赋予给了一个不回应这种感情的人; —

it revolted him:

he shrank forebodingly from the idea of committing Isabella to its keeping.
因为他一发现它的存在,他就将责任归咎于希斯克利夫的刻意设计。 —

He would have recoiled still more had he been aware that her attachment rose unsolicited, and was bestowed where it awakened no reciprocation of sentiment;
他极具某种轻蔑的把戏,若是他知道她的感情是自动发生的,并且赋予给了一个不回应这种感情的人; —

for the minute he discovered its existence he laid the blame on Heathcliff’s deliberate designing.
因为他一发现它的存在,他就将责任归咎于希斯克利夫的刻意设计。

We had all remarked, during some time, that Miss Linton fretted and pined over something.
我们都注意到了,林顿小姐一直为某事而烦恼。她变得脾气坏, —

She grew cross and wearisome;
令人厌烦; —

snapping at and teasing Catherine continually, at the imminent risk of exhausting her limited patience.
她不断地对凯瑟琳嚼舌根,戏弄她,几乎耗尽了她有限的耐心。 —

We excused her, to a certain extent, on the plea of ill-health:
我们在某种程度上原谅了她,以健康不佳为借口: —

she was dwindling and fading before our eyes.
她正慢慢消瘦、衰弱。 —

But one day, when she had been peculiarly wayward, rejecting her breakfast, complaining that the servants did not do what she told them;
但有一天,当她特别任性时,拒绝吃早餐,抱怨仆人不听她的话; —

that the mistress would allow her to be nothing in the house, and Edgar neglected her;
说主人不让她在家中扮演任何角色,埃德加忽视她; —

that she had caught a cold with the doors being left open, and we let the parlour fire go out on purpose to vex her, with a hundred yet more frivolous accusations, Mrs. Linton peremptorily insisted that she should get to bed;
说因为门一直开着,她感冒了,我们故意让客厅的火熄灭来惹她生气,以及其他无谓的指责,林顿夫人果断要求她上床休息; —

and, having scolded her heartily, threatened to send for the doctor.
在大声斥责了她之后,她威胁要叫医生来。 —

Mention of Kenneth caused her to exclaim, instantly, that her health was perfect, and it was only Catherine’s harshness which made her unhappy.
肯尼思的提及让她立即惊呼,声称自己的健康状况非常好,只是凯瑟琳的刻薄使她不快。

“How can you say I am harsh, you naughty fondling?
“你怎么能说我刻薄,你这个淘气的调戏者? —

” cried the mistress, amazed at the unreasonable assertion.
”女主人惊讶地喊道,对这种毫无理由的断言感到吃惊。 —

“You are surely losing your reason.
“你一定是失去理智了。告诉我, —

When have I been harsh, tell me?”
我什么时候刻薄过你?”

“Yesterday,” sobbed Isabella, “and now!”
伊莎贝拉抽泣着说:“昨天,还有现在!”

“Yesterday!” said her sister-in-law. “On what occasion?”
“昨天!”她的嫂子说,“在什么情况下?”

“In our walk along the moor:
“我们走在荒原上的时候: —

you told me to ramble where I pleased, while you sauntered on with Mr. Heathcliff!”
你告诉我去随便漫步,而你和希斯克利夫先生闲逛!”

“And that’s your notion of harshness?” said Catherine, laughing. “It was no hint that your company was superfluous;
“这也是你认为刻薄吗?”凯瑟琳笑着说,“并没有暗示你多余;我们无论你是否跟着我们,都无所谓;我只是以为希斯克利夫的谈话对你来说没有趣味。” —

we didn’t care whether you kept with us or not;
“哦,不,”这位年轻女士哭泣着说, —

I merely thought Heathcliff’s talk would have nothing entertaining for your ears.”
“你希望我离开,因为你知道我喜欢呆在那里!”

“Oh, no,” wept the young lady;
请老娘返回即使带给你怎样的成果, —

“you wished me away, because you knew I liked to be there!”
因为这样的粪便不会给希斯克利夫带来任何优越,所以我不会care.

“Is she sane?” asked Mrs. Linton, appealing to me.
“她神智是否正常?”Linton太太问道,向我求证。 —

“I’ll repeat our conversation, word for word, Isabella;
“我会逐字逐句重复我们的对话,伊莎贝拉; —

and you point out any charm it could have had for you.”
你要指出它对你有何吸引之处。”

“I don’t mind the conversation, ” she answered: “I wanted to be with—”
“我倒不介意那个对话,”她回答道:“我只是想与……”

“Well?” said Catherine, perceiving her hesitate to complete the sentence.
“什么?”凯瑟琳问道,察觉到她犹豫不决地没有把句子说完。

“With him: and I won’t be always sent off!
“与他在一起,我不想总是被赶走! —

” she continued, kindling up.
”她继续说,愤怒地。 —

“You are a dog in the manger, Cathy, and desire no one to be loved but yourself!”
“你是一个爱占着茅坑不拉屎的人,凯茜,只想自己被爱!”

“You are an impertinent little monkey!
— —

” exclaimed Mrs. Linton, in surprise.

“But I’ll not believe this idiocy!

It is impossible that you can covet the admiration of Heathcliff—that you consider him an agreeable person!
“你这个傲慢的小猴子!”Linton太太惊讶地叫道。“但我不会相信这种蠢话! —

I hope I have misunderstood you, Isabella?”
你竟然渴望赢得希斯克里夫的赞赏,你竟然觉得他是一个可爱的人!

“No, you have not,” said the infatuated girl.
我希望我理解错了你, —

“I love him more than ever you loved Edgar, and he might love me, if you would let him!”
伊莎贝拉?”

“I wouldn’t be you for a kingdom, then!
“我宁愿不为你换上王国! —

” Catherine declared, emphatically:
”凯瑟琳断然地宣称道, —

and she seemed to speak sincerely.
她似乎是真诚地说着。 —

“Nelly, help me to convince her of her madness.
“妮莉,帮我说服她, —

Tell her what Heathcliff is: an unreclaimed creature, without refinement, without cultivation;
让她认清希斯克里夫是个什么样的人:一个未经改造的野兽,没有修养,没有教养; —

an arid wilderness of furze and whinstone.
一片荒芜的荆棘和石头的旷野。 —

I’d as soon put that little canary into the park on a winter’s day, as recommend you to bestow your heart on him!
我宁愿把那只小金丝雀放在冬天的公园里,也不会建议你将你的心交付给他! —

It is deplorable ignorance of his character, child, and nothing else, which makes that dream enter your head.
孩子,这是对他性格可悲的无知,没有其他原因,才会让你产生这个梦想。 —

Pray, don’t imagine that he conceals depths of benevolence and affection beneath a stern exterior!
请不要想象他在冷酷外表下隐藏着深藏的仁爱和情感! —

He’s not a rough diamond—a pearl-containing oyster of a rustic:
他不是个粗犷的钻石-一个有着乡村气息的含珍珠的牡蛎: —

he’s a fierce, pitiless, wolfish man.
他是一个凶猛、无情、野蛮的男人。 —

I never say to him, ‘Let this or that enemy alone, because it would be ungenerous or cruel to harm them;
我从来不对他说‘让这个或那个敌人别管了,因为对他们伤害不公或残忍’; —

’ I say, ‘Let them alone, because I should hate them to be wronged:
我说的是‘让他们别管,因为我会讨厌他们受到伤害:’ —

’ and he’d crush you like a sparrow’s egg, Isabella, if he found you a troublesome charge.
如果他发现你是一个麻烦的负担,他会像压碎麻雀蛋一样抛弃你,伊莎贝拉, —

I know he couldn’t love a Linton;
我知道他不可能爱上林顿家族; —

and yet he’d be quite capable of marrying your fortune and expectations:
尽管如此,他完全有能力娶你的财富和期望: —

avarice is growing with him a besetting sin.
贪婪已经成为他的一种困扰的罪恶。 —

There’s my picture:
这是我的看法: —

and I’m his friend—so much so, that had he thought seriously to catch you, I should, perhaps, have held my tongue, and let you fall into his trap.”
而且我是他的朋友——甚至可以说是这样,如果他认真打算抓住你,我也许会闭嘴,让你中了他的圈套。”

Miss Linton regarded her sister-in-law with indignation.
林顿小姐愤怒地看着她的嫂子。

“For shame! for shame!” she repeated, angrily.
“真丢人!真丢人!”她生气地重复道。 —

“You are worse than twenty foes, you poisonous friend!”
“你比二十个敌人还坏,你这个毒友!”

“Ah! you won’t believe me, then?” said Catherine.
“啊!你不相信我吗?”凯瑟琳说。 —

“You think I speak from wicked selfishness?”
“你认为我是出于邪恶的自私而说话?”

“I’m certain you do,” retorted Isabella;
“我确信你是的,”伊莎贝拉反驳道。 —

“and I shudder at you!”
“我为你感到恶心!”

“Good!” cried the other. “Try for yourself, if that be your spirit: I have done, and yield the argument to your saucy insolence.”—
“很好!”另一个人喊道。“自己去试试,看你的性格是怎样的:我已经说完了,把这个论点交给你这个傲慢无礼的人。”

“And I must suffer for her egotism!” she sobbed, as Mrs. Linton left the room. “All, all is against me:
“她的自负让我付出代价!”她哭着说,当林顿夫人离开房间。“一切都对我不利: —

she has blighted my single consolation.
她毁了我唯一的安慰。” —

But she uttered falsehoods, didn’t she?
“但她说谎了,不是吗? —

Mr. Heathcliff is not a fiend:
希斯克利夫先生不是个恶魔: —

he has an honourable soul, and a true one, or how could he remember her?”
他有一颗高尚而真实的灵魂,否则他怎么会记得她呢?”

“Banish him from your thoughts, Miss,” I said.
“将他从你的想法中驱逐,小姐,”我说。 —

“He’s a bird of bad omen:
“他是个多灾多难的鸟儿, —

no mate for you.
不适合你。” —

Mrs. Linton spoke strongly, and yet I can’t contradict her.
林顿夫人说得很坚决,但我无法反驳她。 —

She is better acquainted with his heart than I, or any one besides;
她比我或任何其他人都更了解他的内心; —

and she never would represent him as worse than he is.
她从不把他描述得比他更糟。 —

Honest people don’t hide their deeds.
诚实的人不会掩饰他们的行为。他是怎么生活的? —

How has he been living? how has he got rich?
他是如何变得富有的? —

why is he staying at Wuthering Heights, the house of a man whom he abhors?
他为什么待在赫瑟利高斯,一个他痛恨的人的家里? —

They say Mr. Earnshaw is worse and worse since he came.
他们说自从他来了之后,厄恩肖先生变得越来越糟。 —

They sit up all night together continually, and Hindley has been borrowing money on his land, and does nothing but play and drink:
他们通宵达旦地在一起,亨利一直在借钱抵押他的土地,什么都不干,只会玩乐和喝酒: —

I heard only a week ago—it was Joseph who told me—I met him at Gimmerton:
我听说只有一个星期前—是Joseph告诉我的—我在Gimmerton遇见了他。 —

‘Nelly,’ he said, ‘we’s hae a crowner’s ’quest enow, at ahr folks’.
“Nelly,”他说,“我们的人民将要进行一次足够让玛丽翠德法国伯爵夫人满意的陪审团调查。” —

One on ’em ’s a’most getten his finger cut off wi’ hauding t’ other fro’ stickin’ hisseln loike a cawlf.
其中一个差点因为制止另一个像牛犊一样扑过来而割断了手指。 —

That’s maister, yah knaw, ’at ’s soa up o’ going tuh t’ grand ’sizes.
那就是主人,你知道,他如此热衷于去参加贵族法庭的审判。 —

He’s noan feared o’ t’ bench o’ judges, norther Paul, nur Peter, nur John, nur Matthew, nor noan on ’em, not he!
他不怕法官席上的人,也不怕保罗、彼得、约翰、马太,一个都不怕! —

He fair likes—he langs to set his brazened face agean ’em!
他完全喜欢—他渴望着把他厚颜无耻的脸对着他们! —

And yon bonny lad Heathcliff, yah mind, he’s a rare ’un.
还有那个美丽的少年希思克里夫,你记得吧,他可真是个独一无二的家伙。 —

He can girn a laugh as well ’s onybody at a raight divil’s jest.
他可以像任何人一样露齿而笑,就像一个恶魔的玩笑一样。 —

Does he niver say nowt of his fine living amang us, when he goes to t’ Grange?
当他去庄园的时候,他从来没有提起过他在我们中间过着多么美好的生活,是吗? —

This is t’ way on ’t:—up at sun-down: dice, brandy, cloised shutters, und can’le-light till next day at noon:
这是事实的描述:—在日落时起床:玩骰子、喝白兰地、关上百叶窗、烛光直到第二天中午。 —

then, t’ fooil gangs banning un raving to his cham’er, makking dacent fowks dig thur fingers i’ thur lugs fur varry shame;
于是,愚蠢的帮派禁止狂欢活动,让正派的人们为他们感到羞愧而捂住耳朵; —

un’ the knave, why he can caint his brass, un’ ate, un’ sleep, un’ off to his neighbour’s to gossip wi’ t’ wife.
然后那个恶汉,他可以遥控他的财富,吃饭、睡觉,还去跟邻居的妻子八卦; —

I’ course, he tells Dame Catherine how her fathur’s goold runs into his pocket, and her fathur’s son gallops down t’ broad road, while he flees afore to oppen t’ pikes!
当然,他告诉凯瑟琳夫人,她父亲的黄金流入了他的口袋,她父亲的儿子在大路上飞驰,而他则在前面开路; —

’ Now, Miss Linton, Joseph is an old rascal, but no liar;
“现在,丽顿小姐,约瑟夫是个老流氓, —

and, if his account of Heathcliff’s conduct be true, you would never think of desiring such a husband, would you?”
但不会撒谎;如果他对希思克里夫的行为的描述是真实的,你不会想要这样的丈夫,是吗?”

“You are leagued with the rest, Ellen!” she replied.
“你也和他们一伙,艾伦!”她回答道, —

“I’ll not listen to your slanders.
“我不会听你的诽谤的。” —

What malevolence you must have to wish to convince me that there is no happiness in the world!”
“你一定是多么恶意才能希望说服我世界上没有幸福存在!”

Whether she would have got over this fancy if left to herself, or persevered in nursing it perpetually, I cannot say: she had little time to reflect.
如果她能独自一人克服这个幻想,或者坚持不懈地培养它,我无法说:她没有多少时间去反思。 —

The day after, there was a justice-meeting at the next town;
第二天,在下一个镇上有一个正义会议; —

my master was obliged to attend;
我的主人被迫出席; —

and Mr. Heathcliff, aware of his absence, called rather earlier than usual.
因此希思克里夫先生比平常早一些打来了电话。 —

Catherine and Isabella were sitting in the library, on hostile terms, but silent:
凯瑟琳和伊莎贝拉坐在图书馆里,相互敌视,但保持沉默。 —

the latter alarmed at her recent indiscretion, and the disclosure she had made of her secret feelings in a transient fit of passion;
后者对她最近的失言感到害怕,她在一时的激情中泄露了自己的秘密感受。 —

the former, on mature consideration, really offended with her companion;
前者经过深思熟虑后,真的对她的伴侣感到生气; —

and, if she laughed again at her pertness, inclined to make it no laughing matter to her.
如果她再次嘲笑她的机智,她将不再视之为笑话。 —

She did laugh as she saw Heathcliff pass the window.
她看到希思克里夫从窗户前走过时笑了起来。 —

I was sweeping the hearth, and I noticed a mischievous smile on her lips.
我正在扫地炉,注意到她嘴角上的调皮的笑容。 —

Isabella, absorbed in her meditations, or a book, remained till the door opened;
伊莎贝拉全神贯注地思考着,或看着一本书,一直到门打开才起身; —

and it was too late to attempt an escape, which she would gladly have done had it been practicable.
这时已经太晚逃跑了,如果有可能的话,她愿意逃跑。

“Come in, that’s right!” exclaimed the mistress, gaily, pulling a chair to the fire.
“进来,好啊!”女主人高兴地说,拉着一把椅子来到火炉旁边。 —

“Here are two people sadly in need of a third to thaw the ice between them;
“这儿有两个人,悲哀地需要第三个人来化解他们之间的冷漠; —

and you are the very one we should both of us choose.
而你正是我们两个都应该选择的那个人。 —

Heathcliff, I’m proud to show you, at last, somebody that dotes on you more than myself.
希斯克利夫,我终于能够向你展示一个比我更为倾心于你的人了。 —

I expect you to feel flattered.
我希望你会感到受宠若惊。 —

Nay, it’s not Nelly;
不,不是尼莉; —

don’t look at her! My poor little sister-in-law is breaking her heart by mere contemplation of your physical and moral beauty.
不要看着她!我的可怜妹妹正在因为凝望你的外貌和品德之美而伤心欲绝。 —

It lies in your own power to be Edgar’s brother! No, no, Isabella, you sha’n’t run off,” she continued, arresting, with feigned playfulness, the confounded girl, who had risen indignantly.
成为埃德加的兄弟是在你自己的能力范围内!不,不,伊莎贝拉,你不能逃走。”她继续说道,用假装的玩笑阻止这个惊愕的女孩站起来。 —

“We were quarrelling like cats about you, Heathcliff;
“我们如猫般争吵着为你争夺,希斯克利夫; —

and I was fairly beaten in protestations of devotion and admiration:
而我在奉献和爱慕的表白中完全被打败: —

and, moreover, I was informed that if I would but have the manners to stand aside, my rival, as she will have herself to be, would shoot a shaft into your soul that would fix you for ever, and send my image into eternal oblivion!”
而且,我被告知,只要我有礼貌地站在一边,正如她自己所说,我的竞争对手会向你的灵魂发射一支箭,将你永远固定住,将我的形象送入永恒的遗忘!”

“Catherine!” said Isabella, calling up her dignity, and disdaining to struggle from the tight grasp that held her, “I’d thank you to adhere to the truth and not slander me, even in joke!
“凯瑟琳!”伊莎贝拉说道,拼尽全力保持尊严,不屈于抓住她的紧握,“请你遵守事实,不要诋毁我,即使是开玩笑也不行! —

Mr. Heathcliff, be kind enough to bid this friend of yours release me:
希斯克里夫先生,请你好心告诉你的朋友放了我: —

she forgets that you and I are not intimate acquaintances;
她忘记了你我并非亲密熟识; —

and what amuses her is painful to me beyond expression.”
而且她觉得她的娱乐对我来说是极其痛苦的。”

As the guest answered nothing, but took his seat, and looked thoroughly indifferent what sentiments she cherished concerning him, she turned and whispered an earnest appeal for liberty to her tormentor.
作为客人没有作答,只是坐下来,看上去对她有什么看法完全不在意,她转身向折磨自己的人耳语,恳求他释放自己。

“By no means!” cried Mrs. Linton in answer.
“绝不!”林顿夫人大声回答道。 —

“I won’t be named a dog in the manger again.
“我不想再被称为牛栏里的狗了。你必须留下: —

You shall stay: now then!
就是现在! —

Heathcliff, why don’t you evince satisfaction at my pleasant news?
希斯克里夫,你为什么不表达对我好消息的满意? —

Isabella swears that the love Edgar has for me is nothing to that she entertains for you.
伊莎贝拉发誓,埃德加对我的爱不足以与她对你的爱相比。 —

I’m sure she made some speech of the kind;
我肯定她说过这种话; —

did she not, Ellen? And she has fasted ever since the day before yesterday’s walk, from sorrow and rage that I despatched her out of your society under the idea of its being unacceptable.”
埃伦,她不是这样做的,是吗?而且自前天散步之后,她从悲伤和愤怒中一直禁食,因为我把她赶出了你的社交圈子,理由是她的存在不可接受。

“I think you belie her,” said Heathcliff, twisting his chair to face them.
“我觉得你误解她了,”希斯克利夫扭过椅子面对他们说。 —

“She wishes to be out of my society now, at any rate!”
“她现在不愿意和我在一起,无论如何!”

And he stared hard at the object of discourse, as one might do at a strange repulsive animal:
他凝视着对话的对象,就像看待一只奇怪而令人厌恶的动物,比如来自印度的蜈蚣,因为好奇心引导我们无论如何都要去观察它,尽管它引起了厌恶。 —

a centipede from the Indies, for instance, which curiosity leads one to examine in spite of the aversion it raises.
那可怜的东西无法忍受,她脸色忽红忽白,泪水沾湿了她的睫毛,拼命用纤细的手指努力解开凯瑟琳紧紧抓住她的手臂, —

The poor thing couldn’t bear that;
当她发现每次只要抬起一根手指, —

she grew white and red in rapid succession, and, while tears beaded her lashes, bent the strength of her small fingers to loosen the firm clutch of Catherine;
另一根就会紧紧抓住,她无法一次性拨开它们时,她开始利用指甲; —

and perceiving that as fast as she raised one finger off her arm another closed down, and she could not remove the whole together, she began to make use of her nails;
她的指甲锐利,很快在对方的手臂上留下了一道道红色的半月形。 —

and their sharpness presently ornamented the detainer’s with crescents of red.
她的指甲锐利,很快在对方的手臂上留下了一道道红色的半月形。

“There’s a tigress!” exclaimed Mrs. Linton, setting her free, and shaking her hand with pain.
“有只母老虎!”林顿夫人惊呼一声,放开她,痛苦地握着她的手。 —

“Begone, for God’s sake, and hide your vixen face!
“求你离开,天哪,把你那狐狸一般的脸藏起来! —

How foolish to reveal those talons to him.
真愚蠢,向他展示你的爪子。 —

Can’t you fancy the conclusions he’ll draw?
难道你无法想象他会得出什么结论吗?看, —

Look, Heathcliff!
希斯克利夫! —

they are instruments that will do execution—you must beware of your eyes.”
它们是能够造成伤害的工具——你必须小心你的眼睛。”

“I’d wrench them off her fingers, if they ever menaced me,” he answered, brutally, when the door had closed after her.
“如果她威胁到我,我会把她手指上的戒指拧掉的,”他野蛮地回答道,当门在她身后关闭后。 —

“But what did you mean by teasing the creature in that manner, Cathy?
“但是你为什么要那样戏弄那个人呢,凯茜? —

You were not speaking the truth, were you?”
你刚才说话是真的吗?”

“I assure you I was,” she returned.
“我向你保证,是真的,”她回答道。 —

“She has been dying for your sake several weeks, and raving about you this morning, and pouring forth a deluge of abuse, because I represented your failings in a plain light, for the purpose of mitigating her adoration.
“她为了你牺牲了好几个星期,并且今天早上一直在发疯地说你,还喷发出一连串的谩骂,因为我以公正的方式揭示了你的缺点,以此来缓解她对你的崇拜。 —

But don’t notice it further:
但不要再理会她了: —

I wished to punish her sauciness, that’s all.
我只是想惩罚她的傲慢而已。” —

I like her too well, my dear Heathcliff, to let you absolutely seize and devour her up.”
“我也太喜欢她了,亲爱的希斯克利夫,不能让你绝对地占有她。”

“And I like her too ill to attempt it,” said he, “except in a very ghoulish fashion.
“而我对她的感情不太好,不会试图这样做,”他说,“除非以一种非常可怕的方式。” —

You’d hear of odd things if I lived alone with that mawkish, waxen face:
“如果我和那张苍白、像蜡一样的脸独处,你会听到很奇怪的事情: —

the most ordinary would be painting on its white the colours of the rainbow, and turning the blue eyes black, every day or two:
最普通的事情就是一两天一次在它苍白的脸上画上彩虹的颜色,把蓝眼睛变成黑眼睛: —

they detestably resemble Linton’s.”
它们可恶地和林顿的一模一样。”

“Delectably!” observed Catherine.
“快乐地!”凯瑟琳评论道, —

“They are dove’s eyes—angel’s!”
“它们就像鸽子的眼睛—像天使的眼睛!”

“She’s her brother’s heir, is she not?
“她是她哥哥的继承人,对吗? —

” he asked, after a brief silence.
”他在短暂的沉默后问道。

“I should be sorry to think so,” returned his companion.
“我宁愿不这么认为,”他的伴侣回答道。 —

“Half a dozen nephews shall erase her title, please heaven!
“倘若上天允许,半打外甥就能消除她的头衔! —

Abstract your mind from the subject at present:
“暂且将你的思绪从这个话题上抽离出来: —

you are too prone to covet your neighbour’s goods;
你太容易垂涎邻居的财物; —

remember this neighbour’s goods are mine.”
“请记住,这个邻居的财物是我的。”

“If they were mine, they would be none the less that, ” said Heathcliff;
“即使它们是我的,他们也不会有丝毫变化,”希斯克利夫说道; —

“but though Isabella Linton may be silly, she is scarcely mad;
“但尽管伊莎贝拉·林顿可能有些傻,她几乎不算疯狂; —

and, in short, we’ll dismiss the matter, as you advise.”
“总之,我们将按照你的建议,把这件事放过。”

From their tongues they did dismiss it;
他们在他们的舌头上把它驳回去了; —

and Catherine, probably, from her thoughts.
而凯瑟琳,也许从她的思绪中将其驳回。 —

The other, I felt certain, recalled it often in the course of the evening.
我确信另一个人在晚宴上多次提到了这件事。 —

I saw him smile to himself—grin rather—and lapse into ominous musing whenever Mrs. Linton had occasion to be absent from the apartment.
每当林顿夫人必须离开房间时,我看到他会对自己微笑——或者说是格格作笑,并且陷入不祥的思考。

I determined to watch his movements.
我决定密切观察他的动作。 —

My heart invariably cleaved to the master’s, in preference to Catherine’s side:
我总是倾向于站在主人的一边,而不是凯瑟琳的一边: —

with reason I imagined, for he was kind, and trustful, and honourable;
而且我想这是有理由的,因为他善良、值得信任和有名望; —

and she—she could not be called the opposite, yet she seemed to allow herself such wide latitude, that I had little faith in her principles, and still less sympathy for her feelings.
她不能被称为“相反”,然而她似乎允许自己有如此宽广的自由度,以至于我对她的原则几乎没有信心,对她的感情更是几乎没有同情心。 —

I wanted something to happen which might have the effect of freeing both Wuthering Heights and the Grange of Mr. Heathcliff, quietly;
我希望发生一些事情,可以使威瑟林高地和格兰翠斯庄园都从希斯克利夫先生的束缚中解脱出来,平静地; —

leaving us as we had been prior to his advent.
让我们回到他来之前的状态。 —

His visits were a continual nightmare to me; and, I suspected, to my master also.
他的访问对我来说一直是一场噩梦;而且,我怀疑对我的主人也是如此。 —

His abode at the Heights was an oppression past explaining.
他在威瑟林高地的住所是一种无法解释的压迫。 —

I felt that God had forsaken the stray sheep there to its own wicked wanderings, and an evil beast prowled between it and the fold, waiting his time to spring and destroy.
我感到上帝已经抛弃了那只迷失的羊,使其沉溺于邪恶的漫游中,一只邪恶的野兽潜伏在它和羊栏之间,等待着时机跃起并毁灭它。