Yesterday afternoon set in misty and cold.
昨天下午开始阴雨蒙蒙、寒冷。 —

I had half a mind to spend it by my study fire, instead of wading through heath and mud to Wuthering Heights.
我动了退而求其次宁愿待在书房火炉旁的想法,而不是跋涉在荒野和泥泞中去到呼啸山庄。 —

On coming up from dinner, however, (N.B.—I dine between twelve and one o’clock;
然而,在我吃完中饭后(备注:我午饭一点钟左右吃); —

the housekeeper, a matronly lady, taken as a fixture along with the house, could not, or would not, comprehend my request that I might be served at five)—on mounting the stairs with this lazy intention, and stepping into the room, I saw a servant-girl on her knees surrounded by brushes and coal-scuttles, and raising an infernal dust as she extinguished the flames with heaps of cinders.
管家,一个看上去与这座房子一样永远存在的成熟女士,不肯或不愿理解我要求五点钟时上餐的请求 -; —

This spectacle drove me back immediately; I took my hat, and, after a four-miles’ walk, arrived at Heathcliff’s garden-gate just in time to escape the first feathery flakes of a snow shower.
这个场景立刻让我退缩了;我带上帽子,行走了四英里,正好来到希斯克利夫的花园门口,逃脱了大雪开始飘落的第一缕雪花。

On that bleak hill top the earth was hard with a black frost, and the air made me shiver through every limb.
在那个荒凉的山顶上,大地被黑色的霜冻覆盖,空气让我每根肢体都颤抖不已。 —

Being unable to remove the chain, I jumped over, and, running up the flagged causeway bordered with straggling gooseberry-bushes, knocked vainly for admittance, till my knuckles tingled and the dogs howled.
无法解开链子,我跳了过去,在铺满石板的通道上跑着,两边是凌乱的醋栗丛,徒然敲门等待进入,直到我指节发麻而狗开始嚎叫。

“Wretched inmates!” I ejaculated, mentally, “you deserve perpetual isolation from your species for your churlish inhospitality.
“可恶的居民!”我在心里喊道,“你们应该永远与人类隔离,因为你们的粗鲁无礼。 —

At least, I would not keep my doors barred in the day-time.
至少,我不会在白天把门关上。我不在乎, —

I don’t care—I will get in!
我要进去! —

” So resolved, I grasped the latch and shook it vehemently.
“决定了,我抓住门闩,猛力摇晃着。 —

Vinegar-faced Joseph projected his head from a round window of the barn.
愁眉苦脸的约瑟夫从谷仓的一个圆窗口伸出头来。

“What are ye for?” he shouted.
“你们要干什么?”他大喊道, —

“T’ maister’s down i’ t’ fowld.
“主人在那边的牲口棚里。 —

Go round by th’ end o’ t’ laith, if ye went to spake to him.”
如果你们想找他说话,绕过谷槽的那边走去。”

“Is there nobody inside to open the door?
“里面没有人开门吗? —

” I hallooed, responsively.
”我回应着大声喊道。

“There’s nobbut t’ missis;
“里面只有女主人; —

and shoo’ll not oppen ’t an ye mak’ yer flaysome dins till neeght.”
你们吵到晚上她也不会开。”

“Why? Cannot you tell her whom I am, eh, Joseph?”
“为什么?你不能告诉她我是谁,对吧,约瑟夫?”

“Nor-ne me! I’ll hae no hend wi’t, ” muttered the head, vanishing.
“别碰我!我不会跟它们有任何联系的,”头说着,就消失了。

The snow began to drive thickly.
雪花开始密集地飘落。 —

I seized the handle to essay another trial;
我抓住把手,准备再试一次; —

when a young man without coat, and shouldering a pitchfork, appeared in the yard behind.
就在这时,一个没穿外套,肩上扛着一把草叉的年轻人出现在后院里。 —

He hailed me to follow him, and, after marching through a wash-house, and a paved area containing a coal-shed, pump, and pigeon-cot, we at length arrived in the huge, warm, cheerful apartment where I was formerly received.
他招呼我跟着他走,在穿过一个洗衣房和一个铺满煤炭、水泵和鸽子房的铺地区之后,我们终于来到了一个巨大、温暖、宜人的房间里,这是我以前从未想到过的存在。 —

It glowed delightfully in the radiance of an immense fire, compounded of coal, peat, and wood;
房间里散发着暖洋洋的光芒,那是巨大的火堆燃烧的光芒,由煤炭、泥煤和木材组成; —

and near the table, laid for a plentiful evening meal, I was pleased to observe the “missis, ” an individual whose existence I had never previously suspected.
在一张摆满丰盛晚餐的桌子旁边,我高兴地看到了“女主人”,一个我以前从未意识到的人。 —

I bowed and waited, thinking she would bid me take a seat.
我鞠了个躬,等着她让我坐下。 —

She looked at me, leaning back in her chair, and remained motionless and mute.
她看着我,靠在椅子上,一动不动,不发一言。

“Rough weather!” I remarked. “I’m afraid, Mrs. Heathcliff, the door must bear the consequence of your servants’ leisure attendance:
“天气真恶劣!”我说道。“希斯克里夫夫人,恐怕您的仆人们的悠闲态度将付出门的代价。” —

I had hard work to make them hear me.”
我费了很大劲才让他们听到我说话。

She never opened her mouth. I stared—she stared also:
她一句话都没说。我盯着她看,她也盯着我看: —

at any rate, she kept her eyes on me in a cool, regardless manner, exceedingly embarrassing and disagreeable.
不管怎样,她用一种冷漠无所谓的方式一直盯着我,让我感到非常尴尬和不愉快。

“Sit down,” said the young man, gruffly. “He’ll be in soon.”
“坐下,”那个年轻人粗声粗气地说道。“他马上就会来。”

I obeyed; and hemmed, and called the villain Juno, who deigned, at this second interview, to move the extreme tip of her tail, in token of owning my acquaintance.
我遵命坐下,并轻咳了一下,喊着小恶魔朱诺,这是我们的第二次碰面,她居然非常有礼貌地动了一下尾巴末端,表示认识我。

“A beautiful animal!” I commenced again.
“一只漂亮的动物!”我开始说道。 —

“Do you intend parting with the little ones, madam?”
“夫人,您打算与小动物们分开吗?”

“They are not mine,” said the amiable hostess, more repellingly than Heathcliff himself could have replied.
“它们不是我的,”这位和蔼可亲的女主人比希斯克里夫本人还要冷淡地回答道。

“Ah, your favourites are among these?” I continued, turning to an obscure cushion full of something like cats.
“啊,你的最爱都在这些里面?”我继续说着,转向一个装满像猫一样的奇怪的垫子。

“A strange choice of favourites!
“一个奇怪的选择! —

” she observed scornfully.
”她蔑视地观察到。

Unluckily, it was a heap of dead rabbits.
不幸的是,那堆是一堆死兔子。 —

I hemmed once more, and drew closer to the hearth, repeating my comment on the wildness of the evening.
我又吞了一口唾沫,靠近壁炉,重复了一遍对这个夜晚的野性的评论。

“You should not have come out,” she said, rising and reaching from the chimney-piece two of the painted canisters.
“你不应该出来的,”她说着,站起身从壁炉台拿了两个彩绘盒子。

Her position before was sheltered from the light; now, I had a distinct view of her whole figure and countenance.
她之前的位置被光线遮挡着;现在,我清楚地看到了她的整个身材和面容。 —

She was slender, and apparently scarcely past girlhood:
她身材苗条,看起来似乎还没有过了少女时代: —

an admirable form, and the most exquisite little face that I have ever had the pleasure of beholding;
一个非常出色的形体,和我曾经欣赏过的最精致的小脸; —

small features, very fair; flaxen ringlets, or rather golden, hanging loose on her delicate neck;
小巧的五官,非常白皙;金黄色的小卷发披散在她纤细的脖颈上; —

and eyes, had they been agreeable in expression, that would have been irresistible:
而眼睛,如果表情更为可爱的话,那将会是无法抵挡的: —

fortunately for my susceptible heart, the only sentiment they evinced hovered between scorn and a kind of desperation, singularly unnatural to be detected there.
幸运的是,对于我易感的心灵来说,他们所表露的情感只是嘲笑和绝望的一种,这在那里显得异常不自然。 —

The canisters were almost out of her reach;
罐子几乎够不着她的手。我动了动, —

I made a motion to aid her;
想帮助她。 —

she turned upon me as a miser might turn if any one attempted to assist him in counting his gold.
她转过身来冲我发火,就像一个守财奴如果有人试图帮他数钱时会转身发火一样。

“I don’t want your help,” she snapped;
“我不需要你的帮助,”她破口大骂, —

“I can get them for myself.”
“我可以自己拿到它们。”

“I beg your pardon!” I hastened to reply.
“请原谅!”我急忙回答道。

“Were you asked to tea?” she demanded, tying an apron over her neat black frock, and standing with a spoonful of the leaf poised over the pot.
“你被邀请来喝茶吗?”她问道,一面系上她整洁的黑色连衣裙上的围裙,一只托着一勺茶叶盛在壶里。

“I shall be glad to have a cup,” I answered.
“我很高兴喝一杯,”我回答道。

“Were you asked?” she repeated.
“你被邀请来了吗?”她重复着问。

“No,” I said, half smiling.
“没有,”我微笑着说道。 —

“You are the proper person to ask me.”
“你是适当的人来邀请我。”

She flung the tea back, spoon and all, and resumed her chair in a pet;
她把茶连同勺子一起扔了回去,并恼怒地回到了椅子上; —

her forehead corrugated, and her red under-lip pushed out, like a child’s ready to cry.
她的额头皱起,下嘴唇向外突出,像一个准备哭的孩子。

Meanwhile, the young man had slung on to his person a decidedly shabby upper garment, and, erecting himself before the blaze, looked down on me from the corner of his eyes, for all the world as if there were some mortal feud unavenged between us.
与此同时,年轻人穿着一件明显破旧的上衣,挺直身子站在火炉前,从眼角的余光里俯视着我,仿佛我们之间有一场未平的血海深仇。 —

I began to doubt whether he were a servant or not:
我开始怀疑他是否是个仆人: —

his dress and speech were both rude, entirely devoid of the superiority observable in Mr. and Mrs. Heathcliff;
他的衣着和言谈都很粗鲁,完全没有希思克里夫夫妇身上那种上等人的优越感。 —

his thick brown curls were rough and uncultivated, his whiskers encroached bearishly over his cheeks, and his hands were embrowned like those of a common labourer:
他浓密的棕色卷发看上去邋遢不修,胡须像野兽一样蔓延到他的脸颊上,双手也如同普通劳工的一样被晒得黝黑。 —

still his bearing was free, almost haughty, and he showed none of a domestic’s assiduity in attending on the lady of the house.
然而,他的举止却是自由而傲慢的,一点也没有家仆的勤奋态度来照顾女主人。 —

In the absence of clear proofs of his condition, I deemed it best to abstain from noticing his curious conduct;
鉴于没有确凿的证据来证明他的身份,我决定不去注意他奇怪的行为。 —

and, five minutes afterwards, the entrance of Heathcliff relieved me, in some measure, from my uncomfortable state.
五分钟后,希思克里夫的进来让我在某种程度上摆脱了不舒服的状态。

“You see, sir, I am come, according to promise!
“先生,您看,我已经来了,如约而至! —

” I exclaimed, assuming the cheerful;
”我欢快地说道; —

“and I fear I shall be weather-bound for half an hour, if you can afford me shelter during that space.”
“我担心我会被困在这里半个小时,是否可以在这段时间内提供庇护呢?”

“Half an hour?” he said, shaking the white flakes from his clothes;
“半个小时?”他说着,从衣服上拂去白雪, —

“I wonder you should select the thick of a snow-storm to ramble about in.
“我很奇怪你会选择在大雪纷飞的时候四处闲逛。 —

Do you know that you run a risk of being lost in the marshes?
你知道你冒着在沼泽中失踪的风险吗? —

People familiar with these moors often miss their road on such evenings;
熟悉这些荒野的人在这样的夜晚经常会迷路; —

and I can tell you there is no chance of a change at present.”
我可以告诉你,目前没有任何改变的机会。”

“Perhaps I can get a guide among your lads, and he might stay at the Grange till morning—could you spare me one?”
“也许我可以在你这些年轻人中找到一个向导,他可以在 Grange 住宿到早晨——你能允许我这样吗?”

“No, I could not.”
“不行,我不能。”

“Oh, indeed! Well, then, I must trust to my own sagacity.”
“哦,确实如此!那么,我必须依靠自己的眼力了。”

“Umph!”
“嗯!”

“Are you going to mak’ the tea?
“你要泡茶吗? —

” demanded he of the shabby coat, shifting his ferocious gaze from me to the young lady.
”那个衣衫褴褛的人要求着,将他凶狠的目光从我身上转向了那位年轻女士。

“Is he to have any?” she asked, appealing to Heathcliff.
“他要喝吗?”她询问希斯克利夫。

“Get it ready, will you?” was the answer, uttered so savagely that I started.
“准备好了吗?”那个回答如此凶狠,让我吓了一跳。 —

The tone in which the words were said revealed a genuine bad nature.
这些话的语气透露出一个真正的恶劣本性。 —

I no longer felt inclined to call Heathcliff a capital fellow.
我不再觉得希思克利夫是一个了不起的家伙。 —

When the preparations were finished, he invited me with—“Now, sir, bring forward your chair.
当准备工作完成后,他邀请我说:“现在,先生,请把你的椅子拿过来。” —

” And we all, including the rustic youth, drew round the table:
我们所有人都围着桌子坐下,包括那个乡村的年轻人。 —

an austere silence prevailing while we discussed our meal.
我们享用晚餐的时候,一片冷峻的寂静弥漫着。

I thought, if I had caused the cloud, it was my duty to make an effort to dispel it.
我想,如果是我引起了阴云,那么我有责任努力驱散它。 —

They could not every day sit so grim and taciturn;
他们不可能每天都如此阴沉和沉默寡言; —

and it was impossible, however ill-tempered they might be, that the universal scowl they wore was their every-day countenance.
而且他们可能有多暴躁,但他们每天都戴着愤怒的表情是不可能的。

“It is strange,” I began, in the interval of swallowing one cup of tea and receiving another—“it is strange how custom can mould our tastes and ideas:
“奇怪的是”,我在喝完一杯茶和拿到另一杯之间说道,“习惯可以塑造我们的品味和观念。” —

many could not imagine the existence of happiness in a life of such complete exile from the world as you spend, Mr. Heathcliff;
许多人无法想象在你这样完全被世界排斥的生活中存在幸福,希斯克利夫先生; —

yet, I’ll venture to say, that, surrounded by your family, and with your amiable lady as the presiding genius over your home and heart—”
然而,我敢说,在你的家人环绕下,有着你可爱的夫人作为家庭和心灵的导航——

“My amiable lady!” he interrupted, with an almost diabolical sneer on his face.
“我可爱的夫人!”他打断我,脸上带着近乎恶魔般的冷笑。 —

“Where is she—my amiable lady?”
“她在哪里——我可爱的夫人?”

“Mrs. Heathcliff, your wife, I mean.”
“希斯克利夫夫人,我是指她。”

“Well, yes—oh, you would intimate that her spirit has taken the post of ministering angel, and guards the fortunes of Wuthering Heights, even when her body is gone.
“哦,是的——你想暗示她的精神承担了守护呼啸山庄命运的天使职责,即使她的身体已经离世了。是这样吗? —

Is that it?”

Perceiving myself in a blunder, I attempted to correct it.
察觉到自己犯了个错误,我试图修正。 —

I might have seen there was too great a disparity between the ages of the parties to make it likely that they were man and wife.
我应该已经看出他们之间的年龄差距太大,不太可能是夫妻关系。 —

One was about forty: a period of mental vigour at which men seldom cherish the delusion of being married for love by girls:
其中一个大约四十岁:在这个精神充沛的阶段,男人很少会抱着被年轻女孩因爱而嫁的幻想: —

that dream is reserved for the solace of our declining years.
这个梦想是为我们衰老的岁月提供慰藉。 —

The other did not look seventeen.
另一个看起来不像十七岁。

Then it flashed upon me—“The clown at my elbow, who is drinking his tea out of a basin and eating his bread with unwashed hands, may be her husband:
突然我想到——“正在我身边喝茶用盆子,用脏手吃面包的小丑可能是她的丈夫。 —

Heathcliff junior, of course.
当然是Heathcliff的儿子。 —

Here is the consequence of being buried alive:
这就是被活埋的后果: —

she has thrown herself away upon that boor from sheer ignorance that better individuals existed!
她纯粹因为无知而嫁给了那个粗人! —

A sad pity—I must beware how I cause her to regret her choice.
这真是太可悲了——我必须小心,不让她后悔自己的选择。 —

” The last reflection may seem conceited;
”最后这种反思可能显得自负, —

it was not.
但并非如此。 —

My neighbour struck me as bordering on repulsive; I knew, through experience, that I was tolerably attractive.
我的邻居让我觉得有些令人厌恶;我知道,通过经验,我相当有吸引力。

“Mrs. Heathcliff is my daughter-in-law, ” said Heathcliff, corroborating my surmise. He turned, as he spoke, a peculiar look in her direction:
“Heathcliff太太是我的儿媳妇。” Heathcliff验证了我的猜测。他说话时转向她的方向,带着一种特殊的目光: —

a look of hatred; unless he has a most perverse set of facial muscles that will not, like those of other people, interpret the language of his soul.
一种仇恨的表情;除非他有一副非常另类的面部肌肉,无法像其他人一样解读他灵魂的语言。

“Ah, certainly—I see now:
“啊,确实——现在我明白了: —

you are the favoured possessor of the beneficent fairy,” I remarked, turning to my neighbour.
你是受到仁慈的仙女眷顾的幸运儿,”我转向我的邻居说道。

This was worse than before: the youth grew crimson, and clenched his fist, with every appearance of a meditated assault.
比以前更糟:那年轻人脸红了,紧握拳头,似乎打算发动攻击。 —

But he seemed to recollect himself presently, and smothered the storm in a brutal curse, muttered on my behalf:
但他似乎马上想起了自己,用一声野蛮的咒骂压制住了内心的愤怒,咒骂的对象是我。 —

which, however, I took care not to notice.
然而,我小心翼翼地不去注意。

“Unhappy in your conjectures, sir,” observed my host;
“先生,你的猜测可错了,”我的主人说道, —

“we neither of us have the privilege of owning your good fairy;
“我们中都没有幸事拥有你所言的善仙女; —

her mate is dead. I said she was my daughter-in-law:
她的配偶已经去世了。我说她是我儿媳妇: —

therefore, she must have married my son.”
因此,她必须嫁给了我的儿子。”

“And this young man is—”
“而这个年轻人是——”

“Not my son, assuredly.”
“肯定不是我的儿子。”

Heathcliff smiled again, as if it were rather too bold a jest to attribute the paternity of that bear to him.
希斯克利夫再次微笑,仿佛把那头熊的父亲归咎于他有些大胆的玩笑。

“My name is Hareton Earnshaw,” growled the other;
“我的名字是海顿·恩肖,”另一个人咆哮道, —

“and I’d counsel you to respect it!”
“我建议你尊重一下!”

“I’ve shown no disrespect,” was my reply, laughing internally at the dignity with which he announced himself.
“我没有表现出任何不尊重的意思,”我回答道,心里偷笑着他自称的庄严。

He fixed his eye on me longer than I cared to return the stare, for fear I might be tempted either to box his ears or render my hilarity audible.
他的目光停留在我身上的时间比我愿意回望的要长,因为我担心我会被诱惑要么揍他的耳光,要么让我发笑的声音变得可听。 —

I began to feel unmistakably out of place in that pleasant family circle.
我开始明显觉得自己在那个愉快的家庭圈子里格格不入。 —

The dismal spiritual atmosphere overcame, and more than neutralised, the glowing physical comforts round me;
令人沮丧的精神氛围压倒了周围美好的身体舒适; —

and I resolved to be cautious how I ventured under those rafters a third time.
我决定要小心谨慎地再次冒险走进那些横梁下面。

The business of eating being concluded, and no one uttering a word of sociable conversation, I approached a window to examine the weather.
吃完饭之后,没有人说出一个愉快的交谈的词,我走到窗前去看天气。 —

A sorrowful sight I saw: dark night coming down prematurely, and sky and hills mingled in one bitter whirl of wind and suffocating snow.
我看到了一个令人悲伤的景象:黑夜过早地降临,天空和山丘在一阵狂风和窒息的雪中混为一体。

“I don’t think it possible for me to get home now without a guide, ” I could not help exclaiming.
“我觉得现在没有导游的话,我不可能回家了,”我情不自禁地呼喊道。 —

“The roads will be buried already; and, if they were bare, I could scarcely distinguish a foot in advance.”
“道路已经被埋在白茫茫的雪中;即使路面是干净的,我也几乎看不到前方一英尺远。”

“Hareton, drive those dozen sheep into the barn porch.
“哈罗顿,把那十几只羊赶到谷仓门口。 —

They’ll be covered if left in the fold all night:
如果留在羊圈里过夜,它们会被雪覆盖的。” —

and put a plank before them,” said Heathcliff.
“并且在它们前面放上一块木板,”希斯克里夫说。

“How must I do?” I continued, with rising irritation.
“我该怎么做?”我越来越恼火地继续问道。

There was no reply to my question;
对于我的问题没有回答; —

and on looking round I saw only Joseph bringing in a pail of porridge for the dogs, and Mrs. Heathcliff leaning over the fire, diverting herself with burning a bundle of matches which had fallen from the chimney-piece as she restored the tea-canister to its place.
我四处看了看,只看到约瑟夫正在给狗端来一桶粥,而希斯克里夫夫人则伏在火炉上,一边把从壁炉灶台上掉下来的一捆火柴烧着,一边把茶罐放回原处,自娱自乐。 —

The former, when he had deposited his burden, took a critical survey of the room, and in cracked tones grated out—“Aw wonder how yah can faishion to stand thear i’ idleness un war, when all on ’ems goan out!
约瑟夫放下他的负担后,对这个房间进行了一次批判性的勘测,用破裂的声音嘶哑地说道:“我真不明白你们怎么能闲在那里,一动不动,当所有人都出去了!” —

Bud yah’re a nowt, and it’s no use talking—yah’ll niver mend o’yer ill ways, but goa raight to t’ divil, like yer mother afore ye!”
“可你是个无用之人,说什么也没用——你永远改不了你的坏习惯,只会像你母亲一样去见鬼!”

I imagined, for a moment, that this piece of eloquence was addressed to me;
我想象着,片刻间,这篇雄辩之词是对我说的; —

and, sufficiently enraged, stepped towards the aged rascal with an intention of kicking him out of the door.
而且,愤怒地向那个老流氓迈步,有意将他踢出门外。 —

Mrs. Heathcliff, however, checked me by her answer.
然而,希思克里夫夫人的回答制止了我。

“You scandalous old hypocrite!” she replied.
“你这个可耻的老伪君子! —

“Are you not afraid of being carried away bodily, whenever you mention the devil’s name?
”她回答道。“每次你提到魔鬼的名字,你不怕被带走吗? —

I warn you to refrain from provoking me, or I’ll ask your abduction as a special favour! Stop!
我警告你,别惹我生气,否则我会请求把你绑架走!停下来! —

look here, Joseph,” she continued, taking a long, dark book from a shelf; “I’ll show you how far I’ve progressed in the Black Art:
看这里,约瑟夫,”她接着说,从书架上拿出一本长长的黑书;“我会向你展示我在黑魔法上的进展: —

I shall soon be competent to make a clear house of it.
我很快就会有能力把这地方清理干净。 —

The red cow didn’t die by chance;
红母牛并非偶然死去; —

and your rheumatism can hardly be reckoned among providential visitations!”
而你的风湿病也很难算作是神意降临!”

“Oh, wicked, wicked!” gasped the elder;
“哦,邪恶,邪恶!”那个老人喘息着说, —

“may the Lord deliver us from evil!”
“愿主使我们远离邪恶!”

“No, reprobate! you are a castaway—be off, or I’ll hurt you seriously!
“不,恶棍!你是一个被抛弃的人—走开,否则我会严重伤害你! —

I’ll have you all modelled in wax and clay!
我会用蜡和泥把你们全都塑造起来! —

and the first who passes the limits I fix shall—I’ll not say what he shall be done to—but, you’ll see! Go, I’m looking at you!”
而第一个越过我设定的界限的人将——我不会说他会遭受什么待遇——但你会看到!走吧,我正在看着你!”

The little witch put a mock malignity into her beautiful eyes, and Joseph, trembling with sincere horror, hurried out, praying, and ejaculating “wicked” as he went.
小女巫在她美丽的眼睛里投射出一种嘲笑的邪恶之意,约瑟夫颤抖着充满真正恐惧,匆忙离开,祷告着并唾沫横飞地说着“邪恶”。 —

I thought her conduct must be prompted by a species of dreary fun;
我认为她的行为一定是出于一种沮丧的嬉戏; —

and, now that we were alone, I endeavoured to interest her in my distress.
既然我们现在独处,我努力让她对我的困境感兴趣。

“Mrs. Heathcliff,” I said earnestly, “you must excuse me for troubling you.
“希思克里夫夫人,”我认真地说,“你必须原谅我打扰你。 —

I presume, because, with that face, I’m sure you cannot help being good-hearted.
我想,因为有着那张脸,我敢肯定你一定是善良的。 —

Do point out some landmarks by which I may know my way home:
请指点一些可以让我认得回家路的地标: —

I have no more idea how to get there than you would have how to get to London!”
我对回家的路一点概念都没有,就像你对去伦敦的路一样!”

“Take the road you came,” she answered, ensconcing herself in a chair, with a candle, and the long book open before her.
“请走你来时的路。”她回答道,坐在一个椅子上,手里拿着一根蜡烛,长长的书展开在她面前。 —

“It is brief advice, but as sound as I can give.”
“这是简短的建议,但是我能给予的最恰当的。”

“Then, if you hear of me being discovered dead in a bog or a pit full of snow, your conscience won’t whisper that it is partly your fault?”
“那么,如果你听说我被发现死在沼泽或满是雪的坑里,你的良心不会低声说这在某种程度上是你的过错吗?”

“How so? I cannot escort you.
“为什么?我不能陪伴你。 —

They wouldn’t let me go to the end of the garden wall.”
他们不会让我走到花园墙的尽头。”

You! I should be sorry to ask you to cross the threshold, for my convenience, on such a night, ” I cried.
“你!我很抱歉要求你在这样一个夜晚为了我的方便跨越门槛。”我叫道。 —

“I want you to tell me my way, not to show it:
“我希望你告诉我路,而不是给我指路: —

or else to persuade Mr. Heathcliff to give me a guide.”
或者说服希斯克里夫先生给我一个导游。”

“Who? There is himself, Earnshaw, Zillah, Joseph and I. Which would you have?”
“谁?有他自己,欧恩肖、齐拉、约瑟夫和我。你要哪个?”

“Are there no boys at the farm?”
“农庄上没有男孩吗?”

“No; those are all.”
“没有,就这些了。”

“Then, it follows that I am compelled to stay.”
“那么,我被迫留下。”

“That you may settle with your host.
“这样你就能和你的主人安排好了。 —

I have nothing to do with it.”
这与我无关。”

“I hope it will be a lesson to you to make no more rash journeys on these hills, ” cried Heathcliff’s stern voice from the kitchen entrance.
“我希望这会成为你的教训,不再轻率地在这些山上旅行,”希斯克利夫严厉的声音从厨房入口处传来。 —

“As to staying here, I don’t keep accommodations for visitors:
“至于留在这里,我没有为游客提供住宿:你必须和哈雷顿或约瑟夫共用一张床,如果你愿意的话。” —

you must share a bed with Hareton or Joseph, if you do.”
“我可以在这个房间里的椅子上睡觉,”我回答道。

“I can sleep on a chair in this room,” I replied.
“不,不!无论他是富有还是贫穷,陌生人就是陌生人:在我没有防备的时候,我不会允许任何人在这个地方晃悠!”这个没礼貌的家伙说道。

“No, no! A stranger is a stranger, be he rich or poor:
被这句侮辱的话激怒了,我失去了耐心。 —

it will not suit me to permit any one the range of the place while I am off guard!
我表示厌恶,急忙推过他走进院子,不小心撞到了恩肖。 —

” said the unmannerly wretch.
天太黑,我看不到出口的地方;在四处闲逛时,我听到了他们之间的另一个示范性行为。

With this insult my patience was at an end.

I uttered an expression of disgust, and pushed past him into the yard, running against Earnshaw in my haste.
起初这个年轻人似乎要帮助我。 —

It was so dark that I could not see the means of exit; and, as I wandered round, I heard another specimen of their civil behaviour amongst each other.
“我会陪他一直到公园,”他说。 —

At first the young man appeared about to befriend me.
但很快他改变了主意。

“I’ll go with him as far as the park,” he said.
“我只是开玩笑的,老兄,”他大笑道。“我不会陪你去那里的,我打算回家了。”

“You’ll go with him to hell!” exclaimed his master, or whatever relation he bore.
“‘你跟他去地狱吧!’他的主人,或者说亲属,大声喊道。 —

“And who is to look after the horses, eh?”
‘然后谁来照看马呢?’”

“A man’s life is of more consequence than one evening’s neglect of the horses:
“‘人的生命比一晚上忽视马要重要:’”我预料之外,希斯克里夫太太喃喃道。 —

somebody must go,” murmured Mrs. Heathcliff, more kindly than I expected.
“‘有人必须去,’”她的回答比我预料的要温和。

“Not at your command!” retorted Hareton.
“‘我才不会按你的命令去!’”哈雷顿反驳道。 —

“If you set store on him, you’d better be quiet.”
“‘如果你看重他,最好保持安静。’”

“Then I hope his ghost will haunt you;
“‘那我希望他的鬼魂会缠绕着你; —

and I hope Mr. Heathcliff will never get another tenant till the Grange is a ruin, ” she answered, sharply.
我希望希斯克里夫先生不会再找到其他房客,直到这个庄园变成废墟,’”她冷冷地回答道。

“Hearken, hearken, shoo’s cursing on ’em!
“‘听着,听着,她在诅咒他们! —

” muttered Joseph, towards whom I had been steering.
’”我一直往约瑟夫方向走,他咕哝着说。

He sat within earshot, milking the cows by the light of a lantern, which I seized unceremoniously, and, calling out that I would send it back on the morrow, rushed to the nearest postern.
他坐在听得到的地方,用灯笼挤道的牛挤奶。我毫不客气地拿起灯笼,说我明天会把它送回去,然后冲向最近的小门。

“Maister, maister, he’s staling t’ lanthern!
“‘主人,主人,他在偷灯笼! —

” shouted the ancient, pursuing my retreat.
’”年迈的约瑟夫追着我走。 —

“Hey, Gnasher! Hey, dog! Hey Wolf, holld him, holld him!”
“‘嘿,牙松!嘿,狗!嘿,狼,抓住他,抓住他!’”

On opening the little door, two hairy monsters flew at my throat, bearing me down, and extinguishing the light;
打开小门的时候,两只毛茸茸的怪物朝我喉咙飞扑过来,压倒了我,灭了灯光; —

while a mingled guffaw from Heathcliff and Hareton put the copestone on my rage and humiliation.
此时希斯克利夫和哈里顿一起发出的哄笑声使我愤怒和屈辱达到了顶点。 —

Fortunately, the beasts seemed more bent on stretching their paws, and yawning, and flourishing their tails, than devouring me alive;
幸运的是,这些野兽似乎更感兴趣于伸展它们的爪子,打呵欠,甩动尾巴,而不是活吞我; —

but they would suffer no resurrection, and I was forced to lie till their malignant masters pleased to deliver me:
但它们却不允许我复活,我被迫躺在那里,直到它们恶毒的主人们愿意释放我; —

then, hatless and trembling with wrath, I ordered the miscreants to let me out—on their peril to keep me one minute longer—with several incoherent threats of retaliation that, in their indefinite depth of virulency, smacked of King Lear.
然后,我光着头,颤抖着愤怒,命令这些恶棍给我打开——不敢再让我多待一分钟——威胁着要进行报复,这些威胁中充满了无尽的恶毒,有点像《李尔王》。

The vehemence of my agitation brought on a copious bleeding at the nose, and still Heathcliff laughed, and still I scolded.
我激动的程度导致我鼻子出血不止,希斯克利夫仍然在笑,而我仍然在责骂他。 —

I don’t know what would have concluded the scene, had there not been one person at hand rather more rational than myself, and more benevolent than my entertainer.
我不知道如果没有一个比我更理性、更善良的人在场,这一场景会怎样结束。 —

This was Zillah, the stout housewife;
这个人是吉拉,一个健壮的家庭主妇, —

who at length issued forth to inquire into the nature of the uproar.
最后走出来询问骚乱的性质。 —

She thought that some of them had been laying violent hands on me;
她认为他们中的一些人在对我进行暴力动手, —

and, not daring to attack her master, she turned her vocal artillery against the younger scoundrel.
而且,不敢对付她的主人,她把她的声音攻击转向了那个更年轻的恶棍。

“Well, Mr. Earnshaw,” she cried, “I wonder what you’ll have agait next?
“嗯,欧瑞先生,”她喊道,“我真不知道你接下来会干什么? —

Are we going to murder folk on our very door-stones?
我们是要在我们的门口谋杀人吗? —

I see this house will never do for me—look at t’ poor lad, he’s fair choking! Wisht, wisht;
我看这个家对我来说根本行不通——看看这个可怜的孩子,他快要窒息了!嘘,嘘; —

you mun’n’t go on so. Come in, and I’ll cure that: there now, hold ye still.”
你不能继续这样。进来吧,我会把你治好的:现在,安静下来。”

With these words she suddenly splashed a pint of icy water down my neck, and pulled me into the kitchen.
说着,她突然将一品脱冰水泼在我的脖子上,把我拉进了厨房。 —

Mr. Heathcliff followed, his accidental merriment expiring quickly in his habitual moroseness.
希斯克利夫先生跟着进来,他的意外的愉快很快在他习惯的脾气暴躁中消失。

I was sick exceedingly, and dizzy, and faint;
我病得很厉害,头晕目眩,虚弱得不得了; —

and thus compelled perforce to accept lodgings under his roof.
因此无奈之下只能勉强住进他的房子里。 —

He told Zillah to give me a glass of brandy, and then passed on to the inner room;
他告诉希拉给我倒了一杯白兰地,然后走进内屋; —

while she condoled with me on my sorry predicament, and having obeyed his orders, whereby I was somewhat revived, ushered me to bed.
她在我可怜的困境中表示同情,并服从他的命令为我办理了事,这样我略微恢复了一些精神,之后引导我上床睡觉。