On the morning of a fine June day my first bonny little nursling, and the last of the ancient Earnshaw stock, was born.
一个美好的六月早晨,我养的第一个可爱小婴儿出生了,也是古老Earnshaw家族的最后一代后裔。 —

We were busy with the hay in a far-away field, when the girl that usually brought our breakfasts came running an hour too soon across the meadow and up the lane, calling me as she ran.
我们正在远离的田野里忙着干草,这时通常为我们送早餐的女孩在时辰太早的情况下跑过来,在草地上跑过来又沿着小径叫着我的名字。

“Oh, such a grand bairn!” she panted out.
“哦,多么了不起的孩子!”她气喘吁吁地说, —

“The finest lad that ever breathed!
“这是一个健康的男孩! —

But the doctor says missis must go:
但医生说夫人必须走: —

he says she’s been in a consumption these many months.
他说她已经得了肺病好几个月了。 —

I heard him tell Mr. Hindley:
我听他告诉了Hindley先生: —

and now she has nothing to keep her, and she’ll be dead before winter.
而且现在她没有什么可以让她继续活下去的了,她会在冬天到来之前死去。 —

You must come home directly.
你必须立即回家。 —

You’re to nurse it, Nelly:
你要照顾它,Nelly: —

to feed it with sugar and milk, and take care of it day and night.
喂它糖和牛奶,日夜兼顾。 —

I wish I were you, because it will be all yours when there is no missis!”
如果我是你的话,我会很高兴,因为当夫人不在的时候,这个孩子将全由你照顾!”

“But is she very ill?” I asked, flinging down my rake and tying my bonnet.
“但她病得很重吗?”我放下耙子,系上帽子问道。

“I guess she is; yet she looks bravely, ” replied the girl, “and she talks as if she thought of living to see it grow a man.
“我猜她是的;不过她看起来很勇敢,”女孩回答道,“她说话的口气回味她似乎想活着看到它长大成人。 —

She’s out of her head for joy, it’s such a beauty!
她因为高兴而发疯了,这太美了! —

If I were her I’m certain I should not die:
如果我是她,我肯定不会死: —

I should get better at the bare sight of it, in spite of Kenneth. I was fairly mad at him.
我会因此变得更好,尽管肯尼斯那个人。我对他简直发狂了。 —

Dame Archer brought the cherub down to master, in the house, and his face just began to light up, when the old croaker steps forward, and says he—‘Earnshaw, it’s a blessing your wife has been spared to leave you this son.
亚历的夫人把这个小天使带到了主人面前,在房子里,他的脸刚开始亮起来,这时这个老嘀咕者上前说道:“恩肖,你的妻子活着离开了你这个儿子,真是个福气。 —

When she came, I felt convinced we shouldn’t keep her long; and now, I must tell you, the winter will probably finish her.
她来的时候,我就知道我们不能把她留得太久了;现在,我必须告诉你,冬天可能会结束她的生命。 —

Don’t take on, and fret about it too much:
别为此事伤心难过太多: —

it can’t be helped.
这是没办法的事。 —

And besides, you should have known better than to choose such a rush of a lass!’”
而且,你本该明白不该选择这么个毛头妹!”

“And what did the master answer?” I inquired.
“那主人是怎么回答的?”我问道。

“I think he swore: but I didn’t mind him, I was straining to see the bairn, ” and she began again to describe it rapturously.
“我想他骂了一句脏话:但我没有在意他,我一直竭力想看见那孩子。”她又陶醉地重新开始描述。 —

I, as zealous as herself, hurried eagerly home to admire, on my part; though I was very sad for Hindley’s sake.
我和她一样热情,急切地回家去欣赏;尽管我为亨德利感到非常难过。 —

He had room in his heart only for two idols—his wife and himself:
他的内心只容得下两个偶像——他的妻子和他自己:他迷恋他们两个,崇拜一个,我无法想象他将如何忍受失去一个。 —

he doted on both, and adored one, and I couldn’t conceive how he would bear the loss.
当我们到达呼啸山庄时,他站在前门口;当我走进去的时候,我问:“孩子怎么样了?”

When we got to Wuthering Heights, there he stood at the front door; and, as I passed in, I asked, “how was the baby?”
“尼尔,几乎准备好跑了!”他回答,露出了一个开心的微笑。

“Nearly ready to run about, Nell!
“夫人呢?”我冒昧地问道, —

” he replied, putting on a cheerful smile.
“医生说她——”

“And the mistress?” I ventured to inquire;
“让医生见鬼去吧!”他打断了我,脸红了。“弗朗西斯是对的: —

“the doctor says she’s—”
到下周这个时候,她会完全康复的。

“Damn the doctor!” he interrupted, reddening.
你要上楼吗?你能告诉她, —

“Frances is quite right:
如果她答应不说话的话, —

she’ll be perfectly well by this time next week.
我会过去。 —

Are you going upstairs? will you tell her that I’ll come, if she’ll promise not to talk.

I left her because she would not hold her tongue;
我离开她是因为她不肯闭嘴, —

and she must—tell her Mr. Kenneth says she must be quiet.”
而她必须-告诉她肯尼斯先生要她保持安静。

I delivered this message to Mrs. Earnshaw;
我将这个消息给了欧恩肖夫人, —

she seemed in flighty spirits, and replied merrily, “I hardly spoke a word, Ellen, and there he has gone out twice, crying.
她似乎情绪激动,开心地回答道:“艾伦,我几乎没说几句话,他却哭了两次。” —

Well, say I promise I won’t speak:
好吧,我答应我不会说话: —

but that does not bind me not to laugh at him!”
但这并不意味着我不能笑他一笑!

Poor soul! Till within a week of her death that gay heart never failed her;
可怜的灵魂!直到她去世前一周,这颗快乐的心从未离开她; —

and her husband persisted doggedly, nay, furiously, in affirming her health improved every day.
而她的丈夫坚定地,甚至疯狂地宣称她的健康每天都在好转。 —

When Kenneth warned him that his medicines were useless at that stage of the malady, and he needn’t put him to further expense by attending her, he retorted, “I know you need not—she’s well—she does not want any more attendance from you!
当肯尼斯警告他,在这种疾病的这个阶段,他的药物是无效的,他不需要继续为她提供医疗费用时,他回答道:“我知道你不必-她好着呢-她不需要你再来看她了!” —

She never was in a consumption.
她从未患过结核病,那只是一场发热而已, —

It was a fever; and it is gone:
现在已经好了; —

her pulse is as slow as mine now, and her cheek as cool.”
她的脉搏现在和我的一样缓慢,她的脸颊也凉凉的。

He told his wife the same story, and she seemed to believe him;
他告诉他的妻子同样的故事,她似乎相信他; —

but one night, while leaning on his shoulder, in the act of saying she thought she should be able to get up to-morrow, a fit of coughing took her—a very slight one—he raised her in his arms;
但是有一天晚上,她靠在他的肩膀上,正说她明天应该能够起床,突然咳嗽起来——只是轻微的一次——他把她抱在怀里; —

she put her two hands about his neck, her face changed, and she was dead.
她把两只手搭在他的脖子上,她的脸变了,她就死了。

As the girl had anticipated, the child Hareton fell wholly into my hands.
就像女孩预料的那样,孩子哈里顿完全落到了我的手中。 —

Mr. Earnshaw, provided he saw him healthy and never heard him cry, was contented, as far as regarded him.
只要埃恩肖先生看到他健康,从来没听到他哭,他对此很满意。至于他自己, —

For himself, he grew desperate:
他变得绝望: —

his sorrow was of that kind that will not lament.
他的悲痛是那种不会哀悼的。 —

He neither wept nor prayed;
他既不哭泣也不祈祷; —

he cursed and defied:
他咒骂和反抗: —

execrated God and man, and gave himself up to reckless dissipation.
诅咒上帝和人类,并沉溺于放纵。 —

The servants could not bear his tyrannical and evil conduct long:
仆人们无法忍受他的暴虐和邪恶行为太久: —

Joseph and I were the only two that would stay.
约瑟夫和我是唯一留下的两个人。 —

I had not the heart to leave my charge;
我没有离开我的职责之心; —

and besides, you know, I had been his foster-sister, and excused his behaviour more readily than a stranger would.
并且,你知道,我曾经是他的养育姐妹,比陌生人更容易原谅他的行为。 —

Joseph remained to hector over tenants and labourers;
约瑟夫继续对佃农和劳工们进行斥责; —

and because it was his vocation to be where he had plenty of wickedness to reprove.
因为他的职责就是在那些有许多邪恶需要指责的地方。

The master’s bad ways and bad companions formed a pretty example for Catherine and Heathcliff.
主人的品行不良和坏朋友对凯瑟琳和希斯克立夫来说确实是一个糟糕的榜样。 —

His treatment of the latter was enough to make a fiend of a saint.
他对后者的对待足以让圣徒变成恶魔。 —

And, truly, it appeared as if the lad were possessed of something diabolical at that period.
真的,那个时期的那个男孩似乎被某种魔鬼附身了。 —

He delighted to witness Hindley degrading himself past redemption;
他喜欢看到汉德利堕落到无法挽回的地步; —

and became daily more notable for savage sullenness and ferocity.
并且他变得越来越以野蛮和凶残而闻名。 —

I could not half tell what an infernal house we had.
我无法完全告诉你我们住的是一个多么可怕的房子。 —

The curate dropped calling, and nobody decent came near us, at last;
教区牧师不再来了,最后也没有人正派的靠近我们; —

unless Edgar Linton’s visits to Miss Cathy might be an exception.
除非是埃德加·林顿探望凯蒂小姐可能是个例外。 —

At fifteen she was the queen of the country-side;
十五岁时,她是乡间的女王; —

she had no peer;
她没有对手; —

and she did turn out a haughty, headstrong creature!
她的确变成了一个傲慢、任性的人! —

I own I did not like her, after infancy was past;
承认在婴儿期之后,我不喜欢她。 —

and I vexed her frequently by trying to bring down her arrogance:
我常常通过试图击垮她的傲慢来激怒她: —

she never took an aversion to me, though.
然而她从未对我产生反感。 —

She had a wondrous constancy to old attachments:
她对旧情感有着令人惊奇的坚定不移: —

even Heathcliff kept his hold on her affections unalterably;
甚至希斯克利夫也始终占据着她的感情。 —

and young Linton, with all his superiority, found it difficult to make an equally deep impression.
而年轻的林顿尽管卓越不凡,却难以产生同样深刻的印象。 —

He was my late master:
他是我过去的主人: —

that is his portrait over the fireplace.
就是他的肖像挂在壁炉上。 —

It used to hang on one side, and his wife’s on the other;
它曾经挂在壁炉的一侧,他妻子的肖像则在另一侧; —

but hers has been removed, or else you might see something of what she was.
但她的肖像已经被移走了,否则你可能会看到一些她的样子。 —

Can you make that out?
你能看清楚吗?

Mrs. Dean raised the candle, and I discerned a soft-featured face, exceedingly resembling the young lady at the Heights, but more pensive and amiable in expression.
迪恩夫人举起蜡烛,我看出一个轮廓柔和的面孔,非常像高地上的那位年轻女士,但表情更加忧郁和和蔼可亲。 —

It formed a sweet picture.
它构成了一幅温柔的画面。 —

The long light hair curled slightly on the temples;
长长的金发在太阳穴上轻轻卷曲; —

the eyes were large and serious;
眼睛大而认真; —

the figure almost too graceful.
身材几乎过于优雅。 —

I did not marvel how Catherine Earnshaw could forget her first friend for such an individual.
我不奇怪凯瑟琳·恩肖怎么会为这样一个人忘记她的初恋朋友。 —

I marvelled much how he, with a mind to correspond with his person, could fancy my idea of Catherine Earnshaw.
我明白不了他如何能相信我对凯瑟琳·恩肖的想法,以与他的个性相符合。

“A very agreeable portrait, ” I observed to the house-keeper.
“一幅非常令人愉快的画像,”我对管家说道, —

“Is it like?”
“很像吗?”

“Yes,” she answered; “but he looked better when he was animated;
“是的,”她回答道,“但当他兴奋时,他看起来更好; —

that is his everyday countenance:
这是他每天的表情: —

he wanted spirit in general.”
他通常缺乏精神。”

Catherine had kept up her acquaintance with the Lintons since her five-weeks’ residence among them;
凯瑟琳一直和林顿一家保持着交往,从她在他们家居住的五个星期开始; —

and as she had no temptation to show her rough side in their company, and had the sense to be ashamed of being rude where she experienced such invariable courtesy, she imposed unwittingly on the old lady and gentleman by her ingenious cordiality;
因为她在他们的陪伴下没有展示她粗鲁的一面的动机,而且她有足够的理智在遇到那么恒久以来都彬彬有礼的人时感到羞愧,她无意中通过她巧妙的热情欺骗了那位老太太和那位老先生; —

gained the admiration of Isabella, and the heart and soul of her brother:
赢得了伊莎贝拉的钦佩,以及她的兄弟的心和灵魂: —

acquisitions that flattered her from the first—for she was full of ambition—and led her to adopt a double character without exactly intending to deceive any one.
这些成就从一开始就让她觉得受宠若惊——因为她充满了野心——并导致她采取了一种双重性格,虽然并没有真正打算欺骗任何人。 —

In the place where she heard Heathcliff termed a “vulgar young ruffian, ” and “worse than a brute, ” she took care not to act like him;
在她听到有人称希斯克里夫为“粗鲁的小流氓”和“比畜生还差劲”的地方,她小心翼翼地不去像他一样行事; —

but at home she had small inclination to practise politeness that would only be laughed at, and restrain an unruly nature when it would bring her neither credit nor praise.
但在家里,她对于只会被嘲笑的礼貌敷衍和对于不会给她带来荣誉和赞扬的粗暴本性都没有什么兴趣。

Mr. Edgar seldom mustered courage to visit Wuthering Heights openly.
埃德加先生很少敢公开去拜访呼啸山庄。 —

He had a terror of Earnshaw’s reputation, and shrunk from encountering him;
他对恩肖的名声感到害怕,对遇到他则感到畏缩; —

and yet he was always received with our best attempts at civility:
然而他总是被我们最好的礼节方式接待: —

the master himself avoided offending him, knowing why he came;
出于对他来访目的的了解,庄主本人避免冒犯他; —

and if he could not be gracious, kept out of the way.
如果他不能友好相待,就躲开他的视线。 —

I rather think his appearance there was distasteful to Catherine;
我倒觉得凯瑟琳对他在那里出现感到厌恶; —

she was not artful, never played the coquette, and had evidently an objection to her two friends meeting at all;
她不会耍手腕,从不做风骚之事,显然她不希望她的两个朋友有任何交集; —

for when Heathcliff expressed contempt of Linton in his presence, she could not half coincide, as she did in his absence;
因为当希斯克里夫在她面前表达对林顿的蔑视时,她不能像在他不在场时一样完全赞同。 —

and when Linton evinced disgust and antipathy to Heathcliff, she dared not treat his sentiments with indifference, as if depreciation of her playmate were of scarcely any consequence to her.
当林顿表现出对希斯克里夫的厌恶和反感时,她不敢对待他的情绪漠不关心,好像轻视她的玩伴对她来说几乎毫无意义。 —

I’ve had many a laugh at her perplexities and untold troubles, which she vainly strove to hide from my mockery.
我常常嘲笑她的困惑和难以言传的麻烦,她徒劳地试图将其隐藏起来, —

That sounds ill-natured:
但这听起来是不友善的。 —

but she was so proud, it became really impossible to pity her distresses, till she should be chastened into more humility.
但她是如此自豪,以至于我真的无法同情她的困境,直到她被磨炼得更加谦卑为止。 —

She did bring herself, finally, to confess, and to confide in me:
最后,她确实敢于坦白并向我倾诉: —

there was not a soul else that she might fashion into an adviser.
没有其他人可以成为她的顾问。

Mr. Hindley had gone from home one afternoon, and Heathcliff presumed to give himself a holiday on the strength of it.
那天下午,Hindley先生不在家,希斯克里夫自以为可以放假了。 —

He had reached the age of sixteen then, I think, and without having bad features, or being deficient in intellect, he contrived to convey an impression of inward and outward repulsiveness that his present aspect retains no traces of.
那时他已经十六岁了,我想,虽然他没有糟糕的容貌,也不缺乏才智,但他设法给人一种内外都令人厌恶的印象,而他现在的外貌已经没有留下任何痕迹。 —

In the first place, he had by that time lost the benefit of his early education:
首先,到那个时候,他早已失去了早期教育的好处: —

continual hard work, begun soon and concluded late, had extinguished any curiosity he once possessed in pursuit of knowledge, and any love for books or learning.
持续不断的辛勤工作,从早到晚,已经熄灭了他曾经对追求知识的好奇心,以及对书籍或学习的爱。 —

His childhood’s sense of superiority, instilled into him by the favours of old Mr. Earnshaw, was faded away.
他小时候受到老先生埃恩肖的恩惠,培养了他的优越感,但这种感觉已经褪去。 —

He struggled long to keep up an equality with Catherine in her studies, and yielded with poignant though silent regret:
他努力与凯瑟琳在学业上保持平等,并默默地感到痛苦的屈服了, —

but he yielded completely;
但他完全屈服了; —

and there was no prevailing on him to take a step in the way of moving upward, when he found he must, necessarily, sink beneath his former level.
当他发现自己必然会降低到以前的水平时,就无法说服他采取向上发展的步骤。 —

Then personal appearance sympathised with mental deterioration:
然后,个人外貌与精神衰退相一致: —

he acquired a slouching gait and ignoble look;
他养成了一种低头走路、卑贱的样子; —

his naturally reserved disposition was exaggerated into an almost idiotic excess of unsociable moroseness;
他天性中的保守倾向被夸大成近乎白痴的过分不合群的脾气; —

and he took a grim pleasure, apparently, in exciting the aversion rather than the esteem of his few acquaintance.
显然,他对他极少的熟人产生反感而非尊敬,这让他感到快意。

Catherine and he were constant companions still at his seasons of respite from labour;
在他不工作的时候,凯瑟琳和他仍然是亲密的伙伴。 —

but he had ceased to express his fondness for her in words, and recoiled with angry suspicion from her girlish caresses, as if conscious there could be no gratification in lavishing such marks of affection on him.
但他已经停止用言辞表达对她的喜爱,对她女孩般的亲昵甚至愤怒地回避,似乎意识到在他身上奉献这样的爱意不会有满足感。 —

On the before-named occasion he came into the house to announce his intention of doing nothing, while I was assisting Miss Cathy to arrange her dress:
在之前提到的情况下,当我正在帮助凯瑟琳整理衣服时,他走进屋子宣布自己不干任何事情。 —

she had not reckoned on his taking it into his head to be idle;
她没有预料到他会突然发作,决定闲着。 —

and imagining she would have the whole place to herself, she managed, by some means, to inform Mr. Edgar of her brother’s absence, and was then preparing to receive him.
她原以为自己会独占整个地方,于是通过某种方式通知了爱德格尔她兄弟的离开,并开始准备好迎接他。

“Cathy, are you busy this afternoon?
“凯西,你今天下午有事吗? —

” asked Heathcliff. “Are you going anywhere?”
”希斯克利夫问道,“你要去哪里吗?”

“No, it is raining,” she answered.
“不,下雨了,”她回答道。

“Why have you that silk frock on, then?
“为什么你穿着那件丝质连衣裙? —

” he said. “Nobody coming here, I hope?”
”他问道。“希望没有人要来这里吧?”

“Not that I know of,” stammered Miss:
“没有我知道的人要来,”姑娘结结巴巴地说道: —

“but you should be in the field now, Heathcliff.
“但是现在你应该在田里,海斯克利夫。 —

It is an hour past dinner time; I thought you were gone.”
现在已经过了午饭时间一个小时了,我还以为你走了呢。”

“Hindley does not often free us from his accursed presence,” observed the boy.
“欣德利很少让我们摆脱他那该死的存在,”男孩说道。 —

“I’ll not work any more to-day:
“我今天不想再工作了: —

I’ll stay with you.”
我要陪你。”

“Oh, but Joseph will tell, ” she suggested; “you’d better go!”
“哦,但是约瑟夫会说出来的,”她建议道。“你最好还是走吧!”

“Joseph is loading lime on the further side of Penistone Crags;
“约瑟夫正在彭尼斯通峭壁的另一边装载石灰; —

it will take him till dark, and he’ll never know.”
那会到天黑的时候,他永远不会知道的。”

So saying, he lounged to the fire, and sat down.
说着,他慢悠悠地走到火炉旁坐下。 —

Catherine reflected an instant, with knitted brows—she found it needful to smooth the way for an intrusion.
凯瑟琳沉思片刻,皱着眉头——她发现有必要为侵入做些铺垫。 —

“Isabella and Edgar Linton talked of calling this afternoon, ” she said, at the conclusion of a minute’s silence.
“伊莎贝拉和埃德加·林顿说过今天下午要来,”她在一分钟的沉默后说道。 —

“As it rains, I hardly expect them; but they may come, and if they do, you run the risk of being scolded for no good.”
“因为下雨,我几乎不指望他们会来;但是他们可能会来,如果他们来了,你就有被责备的风险,没有什么好处。”

“Order Ellen to say you are engaged, Cathy,” he persisted;
“让埃伦说你们订婚了,凯茜,”他坚持说; —

“don’t turn me out for those pitiful, silly friends of yours!
“不要因为你那些可怜、愚蠢的朋友把我赶出去! —

I’m on the point, sometimes, of complaining that they—but I’ll not—”
有时我忍不住要抱怨他们,但是我不会——”

“That they what?” cried Catherine, gazing at him with a troubled countenance.
“他们做了什么?”凯瑟琳惊讶地看着他,“哦, —

“Oh, Nelly!
尼尔! —

” she added petulantly, jerking her head away from my hands, “you’ve combed my hair quite out of curl!
”她发脾气地甩开我的手,加了一句,“你把我的头发梳直了! —

That’s enough; let me alone.
够了,别碰我。 —

What are you on the point of complaining about, Heathcliff?”
你要抱怨什么,希斯克利夫?”

“Nothing—only look at the almanack on that wall;
“没什么,只是看看挂在那扇窗边的墙上的日历。 —

” he pointed to a framed sheet hanging near the window, and continued, “The crosses are for the evenings you have spent with the Lintons, the dots for those spent with me.
”他指着窗边悬挂的一张装裱的纸片,接着说道,“十字代表你和林顿一家度过的晚上,点代表和我度过的日子。 —

Do you see? I’ve marked every day.”
看到了吗?我每天都做了标记。”

“Yes—very foolish: as if I took notice!
“嗯,非常愚蠢:就好像我会在意一样! —

” replied Catherine, in a peevish tone.
”凯瑟琳撅起嘴,发脾气地回答说。 —

“And where is the sense of that?”
“那有什么意义呢?”

“To show that I do take notice,” said Heathcliff.
“为了显示我确实在意,”希斯克利夫说道。

“And should I always be sitting with you?” she demanded, growing more irritated. “What good do I get?
“那我总是要跟你坐在一起吗?”她生气地问道。“我得到什么好处? —

What do you talk about?
你们在谈些什么?” —

You might be dumb, or a baby, for anything you say to amuse me, or for anything you do, either!”
你可能是笨蛋,或者是婴儿,不管你说什么来逗我笑,或者你做的任何事情!”

“You never told me before that I talked too little, or that you disliked my company, Cathy!
“你之前从没告诉过我我说话太少,或者你不喜欢我的陪伴,凯瑟琳! —

” exclaimed Heathcliff, in much agitation.
”希斯克利夫焦急地说道。

“It’s no company at all, when people know nothing and say nothing, ” she muttered.
“当人们什么都不懂也不说话的时候,这根本不算陪伴,”她嘟囔道。

Her companion rose up, but he hadn’t time to express his feelings further, for a horse’s feet were heard on the flags, and having knocked gently, young Linton entered, his face brilliant with delight at the unexpected summons he had received.
她的伴侣站了起来,但他没时间再表达他的感受,因为听到了一匹马蹄声在石板上响起,随后年轻的林顿进来了,他的脸上洋溢着因收到意外召唤而产生的喜悦。 —

Doubtless Catherine marked the difference between her friends, as one came in and the other went out.
毫无疑问,凯瑟琳注意到了她的两个朋友之间的区别,一个进来一个出去的情景。 —

The contrast resembled what you see in exchanging a bleak, hilly, coal country for a beautiful fertile valley;
这个对比就像是从一个荒凉、多山的煤炭区换成一个美丽肥沃的山谷一样; —

and his voice and greeting were as opposite as his aspect.
他的声音和问候方式与他的外表完全相反。 —

He had a sweet, low manner of speaking, and pronounced his words as you do:
他有着甜美低沉的说话方式,发音和我们这里说话的方式截然不同,更加温和。 —

that’s less gruff than we talk here, and softer.
这比我们这里的说话方式更加温和、不那么粗鲁。

“I’m not come too soon, am I?
“我来得不算太早吧?” —

” he said, casting a look at me:
他朝我投去一瞥。 —

I had begun to wipe the plate, and tidy some drawers at the far end in the dresser.
我开始擦盘子,整理梳妆台那边的抽屉。

“No,” answered Catherine.
“不,” 凯瑟琳回答道。 —

“What are you doing there, Nelly?”
“你在那里干什么,妮莉?”

“My work, Miss,” I replied.
“我的工作,小姐,”我回答说。 —

(Mr. Hindley had given me directions to make a third party in any private visits Linton chose to pay.)
(汉德利先生曾交给我指导,如果林顿选择来做私人拜访的话,我要在场作为第三方。)

She stepped behind me and whispered crossly, “Take yourself and your dusters off;
她走到我后面生气地低声说:“你和你的抹布走开吧; —

when company are in the house, servants don’t commence scouring and cleaning in the room where they are!”
当有客人在屋子里的时候,仆人不能在他们所在的房间开始擦洗和清理!”

“It’s a good opportunity, now that master is away, ” I answered aloud:
“现在是个好机会,主人不在家,” 我大声回答说: —

“he hates me to be fidgeting over these things in his presence.
“他不喜欢我在他的面前东奔西走。 —

I’m sure Mr. Edgar will excuse me.”
“我相信埃德加先生会原谅我的。”

“I hate you to be fidgeting in my presence, ” exclaimed the young lady imperiously, not allowing her guest time to speak:
“我讨厌你在“我的”面前坐立不安,”年轻女士傲慢地宣称,不给她的客人说话的时间: —

she had failed to recover her equanimity since the little dispute with Heathcliff.
自从与希斯克里夫的小争执后,她一直没有恢复平静。

“I’m sorry for it, Miss Catherine,” was my response;
“对不起,凯瑟琳小姐,”我回答道, —

and I proceeded assiduously with my occupation.
并专心地继续我的工作。

She, supposing Edgar could not see her, snatched the cloth from my hand, and pinched me, with a prolonged wrench, very spitefully on the arm.
她以为埃德加看不见她,夺过我手中的布,恶意地用力在我的手臂上狠狠地掐了一下。 —

I’ve said I did not love her, and rather relished mortifying her vanity now and then:
我说过我不爱她,有时会故意羞辱她的虚荣心:此外, —

besides, she hurt me extremely;
她伤害我很厉害; —

so I started up from my knees, and screamed out, “Oh, Miss, that’s a nasty trick!
所以我从地上跳起来,尖叫道:“哦,小姐,那是个恶心的把戏! —

You have no right to nip me, and I’m not going to bear it.”
你无权掐我,我不会忍受的。”

“I didn’t touch you, you lying creature!” cried she, her fingers tingling to repeat the act, and her ears red with rage.
“我没有碰过你,你这个撒谎的东西!”她大喊起来,她的手指蠢蠢欲动,想再来一次,她的耳朵因愤怒而变红。 —

She never had power to conceal her passion, it always set her whole complexion in a blaze.
她从来没有掩饰过她的愤怒,它总是让她的整个脸色发红。

“What’s that, then?” I retorted, showing a decided purple witness to refute her.
“那是什么?然后?”我反驳道,拿出一个明显紫色的证人来反驳她。

She stamped her foot, wavered a moment, and then, irresistibly impelled by the naughty spirit within her, slapped me on the cheek:
她跺了跺脚,犹豫了一会,然后受到内心淘气精灵的驱使,朝我脸颊上打了一巴掌: —

a stinging blow that filled both eyes with water.
这一记刺痛的打击使我双眼充满了泪水。

“Catherine, love! Catherine!” interposed Linton, greatly shocked at the double fault of falsehood and violence which his idol had committed.
“凯瑟琳,亲爱的!凯瑟琳!”林顿插话道,对他偶像犯下的虚假和暴力的双重错误感到非常震惊。

“Leave the room, Ellen!
“离开房间,埃伦! —

” she repeated, trembling all over.
”她重复着,浑身颤抖。

Little Hareton, who followed me everywhere, and was sitting near me on the floor, at seeing my tears commenced crying himself, and sobbed out complaints against “wicked aunt Cathy, ” which drew her fury on to his unlucky head:
小哈里顿跟着我到处走,坐在离我很近的地板上,看到我流泪后也开始哭泣,抱怨“邪恶的凯茜姨妈”,这引起了她的愤怒: —

she seized his shoulders, and shook him till the poor child waxed livid, and Edgar thoughtlessly laid hold of her hands to deliver him.
她抓住他的肩膀,摇晃着他,可怜的孩子脸色发青,而爱德加没有经过思考地抓住她的手去解救他。 —

In an instant one was wrung free, and the astonished young man felt it applied over his own ear in a way that could not be mistaken for jest.
一瞬间,一个手开始脱离了她的掌握,这个年轻人大吃一惊,感到她用力甩过来,打在自己的耳朵上,这种方式不会被误认为是玩笑。 —

He drew back in consternation. I lifted Hareton in my arms, and walked off to the kitchen with him, leaving the door of communication open, for I was curious to watch how they would settle their disagreement.
他惊恐地退后了。我抱起哈里顿,带着他走向厨房,留下通往客厅的门敞开着,因为我很好奇他们会怎么解决他们的争执。 —

The insulted visitor moved to the spot where he had laid his hat, pale and with a quivering lip.
受到侮辱的访客走到他放帽子的地方,脸色苍白,嘴唇颤抖。

“That’s right!” I said to myself.
“很好!”我自言自语道。 —

“Take warning and begone!
“好好观察一下她真正的本性吧! —

It’s a kindness to let you have a glimpse of her genuine disposition.”
离开吧!这是我的善意。”

“Where are you going?” demanded Catherine, advancing to the door.
“你要去哪儿?”凯瑟琳问道,走向门口。

He swerved aside, and attempted to pass.
他转身避开,试图经过。

“You must not go!” she exclaimed, energetically.
“你不能走!”她大声说道。

“I must and shall!” he replied in a subdued voice.
“我必须走!”他低声回答。

“No,” she persisted, grasping the handle;
“不,”她坚持,抓住门把手。“埃德加·林顿, —

“not yet, Edgar Linton:
你还不能走; —

sit down;
坐下。” —

you shall not leave me in that temper.
“你不能打过我后还让我留下来吧? —

I should be miserable all night, and I won’t be miserable for you!”
”林顿问道。

“Can I stay after you have struck me?” asked Linton.
凯瑟琳保持沉默。

Catherine was mute.
凯瑟琳保持沉默。

“You’ve made me afraid and ashamed of you, ” he continued; “I’ll not come here again!”
“你让我感到害怕和为你感到羞耻”,他继续说道,“我不会再来这里了!”

Her eyes began to glisten and her lids to twinkle.
她的眼睛开始发亮,眼皮开始眨动。

“And you told a deliberate untruth!” he said.
“你明知故犯地说了一个谎言!”他说道。

“I didn’t!” she cried, recovering her speech; “I did nothing deliberately.
“我没有!”她喊道,恢复了语言,“我什么都没有故意做。 —

Well, go, if you please—get away!
好了,走吧,如果你愿意就离开吧! —

And now I’ll cry—I’ll cry myself sick!”
现在我要哭,我要哭得病倒!”

She dropped down on her knees by a chair, and set to weeping in serious earnest.
她跪在椅子旁边,开始认真地哭泣。 —

Edgar persevered in his resolution as far as the court;
埃德加坚持着他的决定一直到法庭; —

there he lingered. I resolved to encourage him.
在那里他逗留了下来。我决定鼓励他。

“Miss is dreadfully wayward, sir, ” I called out. “As bad as any marred child:
“小姐非常任性,先生”,我大声说,“像个固执的孩子一样: —

you’d better be riding home, or else she will be sick, only to grieve us.”
你最好骑回家,否则她会生病的,只为了让我们担心。”

The soft thing looked askance through the window:
温柔的东西斜视着窗外:他有能力离开, —

he possessed the power to depart as much as a cat possesses the power to leave a mouse half killed, or a bird half eaten.
就像猫有能力离开半死不活的老鼠,或者鸟有能力离开半吃掉的虫子。 —

Ah, I thought, there will be no saving him:
啊,我想,他将无法挽救:他注定要失败, —

he’s doomed, and flies to his fate!
飞向他的命运! —

And so it was:
事实就是这样: —

he turned abruptly, hastened into the house again, shut the door behind him;
他突然转身,匆忙地再次走进屋子,关上了门; —

and when I went in a while after to inform them that Earnshaw had come home rabid drunk, ready to pull the whole place about our ears (his ordinary frame of mind in that condition), I saw the quarrel had merely effected a closer intimacy—had broken the outworks of youthful timidity, and enabled them to forsake the disguise of friendship, and confess themselves lovers.
后来当我过了一会儿去告诉他们Earnshaw回家时狂饮过度,准备把整个地方都闹个底朝天(这是他在那种状态下经常表现出来的)的时候,我发现他们之间的争吵只是加深了亲密感——打破了年轻人的胆怯,让他们放下友谊的伪装,坦白承认彼此是情侣关系。

Intelligence of Mr. Hindley’s arrival drove Linton speedily to his horse, and Catherine to her chamber.
得知Hindley先生回来了,Lintin立刻赶去找他的马,而Catherine则赶去了她的房间。 —

I went to hide little Hareton, and to take the shot out of the master’s fowling-piece, which he was fond of playing with in his insane excitement, to the hazard of the lives of any who provoked, or even attracted his notice too much;
我去躲藏小Hareton,并把主人常常玩弄的火锅枪弹拿走,因为他在疯狂的兴奋状态下会对任何惹怒他甚至引起他太多注意的人的生命构成威胁; —

and I had hit upon the plan of removing it, that he might do less mischief if he did go the length of firing the gun.
我想到了将它拿走的计划,这样,即使他真的开枪,也不至于造成太大的危害。