The evening after the funeral, my young lady and I were seated in the library;
葬礼之后的晚上,我和我的年轻女士坐在图书馆里; —

now musing mournfully—one of us despairingly—on our loss, now venturing conjectures as to the gloomy future.
我们此刻正在悲痛地沉思,其中一人绝望地思考着我们的失去,另一人则勉强猜测着黯淡的未来。

We had just agreed the best destiny which could await Catherine would be a permission to continue resident at the Grange;
我们刚刚一致同意,凯瑟琳最好的命运就是被允许继续留在格兰治庄园; —

at least during Linton’s life:
至少在林顿还活着的时候: —

he being allowed to join her there, and I to remain as housekeeper.
他可以在那里和她团聚,我则继续留下来做管家。 —

That seemed rather too favourable an arrangement to be hoped for;
这似乎是太过理想的安排,难以期望; —

and yet I did hope, and began to cheer up under the prospect of retaining my home and my employment, and, above all, my beloved young mistress;
尽管如此,我还是抱着希望,并且开始在保留家园、继续工作,最重要的是留住我深爱的年轻女主人的前景下振作起来; —

when a servant—one of the discarded ones, not yet departed—rushed hastily in, and said “that devil Heathcliff” was coming through the court:
就在这时,一个仆人——其中一个被解雇但尚未离去的人——匆匆走进来,说“那个恶魔希斯克利夫”正穿过院子赶过来: —

should he fasten the door in his face?
我们是否应该把门反锁起来阻挡他?

If we had been mad enough to order that proceeding, we had not time. He made no ceremony of knocking or announcing his name:
如果我们足够疯狂地下令这样做,那我们现在来不及了。他没有礼貌地敲门或宣布他的名字。 —

he was master, and availed himself of the master’s privilege to walk straight in, without saying a word.
他是主人,利用主人的特权径直走了进来,一句话都没有说。 —

The sound of our informant’s voice directed him to the library;
告知者的声音指引着他来到了图书馆; —

he entered and motioning him out, shut the door.
他走了进去,示意他出去,并关上了门。

It was the same room into which he had been ushered, as a guest, eighteen years before:
这是他十八年前作为客人被引领进来的同一个房间:同一个月亮透过窗户照射进来; —

the same moon shone through the window;

and the same autumn landscape lay outside.
整个房间都可以看见, —

We had not yet lighted a candle, but all the apartment was visible, even to the portraits on the wall:
甚至墙上的肖像画也一清二楚:林顿夫人雄伟的头像和她丈夫优雅的面容; —

the splendid head of Mrs. Linton, and the graceful one of her husband.
希斯克利夫走向壁炉。 —

Heathcliff advanced to the hearth.
时间几乎没有改变他的外貌。 —

Time had little altered his person either.

There was the same man: his dark face rather sallower and more composed, his frame a stone or two heavier, perhaps, and no other difference.
他还是那个人:他的脸色稍微黯淡了一些,更加沉着,也许多了一两分石头的体重,别无其他不同。 —

Catherine had risen with an impulse to dash out, when she saw him.
当凯瑟琳看到他时,她突然起了强烈的冲动想逃走。

“Stop!” he said, arresting her by the arm.
“停!”他抓住她的胳膊制止了她。 —

“No more runnings away! Where would you go?
“不要再逃跑了!你想去哪里? —

I’m come to fetch you home;
我来接你回家; —

and I hope you’ll be a dutiful daughter and not encourage my son to further disobedience.
我希望你能成为一个听话的女儿,不要鼓励我的儿子更加不听话。 —

I was embarrassed how to punish him when I discovered his part in the business:
当我发现他参与了这件事时,我感到非常尴尬:他是如此软弱无力, —

he’s such a cobweb, a pinch would annihilate him;
一点点惩罚就能消灭他; —

but you’ll see by his look that he has received his due!
但从他的样子看,你会知道他受到了应得的惩罚! —

I brought him down one evening, the day before yesterday, and just set him in a chair, and never touched him afterwards.
前天晚上,我把他带了下来,只是把他放在一把椅子上,然后再也没有碰他。 —

I sent Hareton out, and we had the room to ourselves.
我让哈里顿出去,我们有了一个独处的房间。 —

In two hours, I called Joseph to carry him up again;
两个小时后,我叫约瑟夫再把他送上去; —

and since then my presence is as potent on his nerves as a ghost;
从那以后,我的存在对他的神经影响很大,就像一个鬼魂一样。 —

and I fancy he sees me often, though I am not near.
我想他经常看到我,尽管我并不在近处。 —

Hareton says he wakes and shrieks in the night by the hour together, and calls you to protect him from me;
哈里顿说他晚上醒来时会连续数小时尖叫,并呼唤你来保护他免受我伤害; —

and, whether you like your precious mate, or not, you must come:
无论你是否喜欢你那珍贵的伴侣,你都必须来。 —

he’s your concern now; I yield all my interest in him to you.”
现在他是你的问题了;我放弃了对他的一切兴趣,交给你了。

“Why not let Catherine continue here, ” I pleaded, “and send Master Linton to her?
“为什么不让凯瑟琳留在这里,”我请求道,“把林顿先生送给她吧?” —

As you hate them both, you’d not miss them:
既然你两个都讨厌,你不会错过他们的: —

they can only be a daily plague to your unnatural heart.”
他们只会每天惹你心里的创伤。

“I’m seeking a tenant for the Grange,” he answered;
“我正在寻找一个住户来管理庄园,”他回答道, —

“and I want my children about me, to be sure.
“我想让我的孩子们围绕在我身边,当然了。 —

Besides, that lass owes me her services for her bread.
而且,那个丫头欠我她的食物的服务。 —

I’m not going to nurture her in luxury and idleness after Linton is gone.
林顿离开以后,我不会让她过于奢侈和懒散。 —

Make haste and get ready, now;
快点准备好,现在; —

and don’t oblige me to compel you.”
不要逼我强迫你。”

“I shall,” said Catherine.
“我会的,”凯瑟琳说道, —

“Linton is all I have to love in the world, and though you have done what you could to make him hateful to me, and me to him, you cannot make us hate each other.
“林顿是我在世上唯一要爱的人,尽管你竭尽所能让我讨厌他,让他讨厌我,但你无法让我们互相憎恨。 —

And I defy you to hurt him when I am by, and I defy you to frighten me!”
我向你保证,在我在场时,你不能伤害他,我向你保证,你不能吓到我!”

“You are a boastful champion,” replied Heathcliff;
“你是个自吹自擂的英雄,”希斯克利夫回答道, —

“but I don’t like you well enough to hurt him:
“但是我不喜欢你到足以伤害他: —

you shall get the full benefit of the torment, as long as it lasts. It is not I who will make him hateful to you—it is his own sweet spirit.
只要它存在,你将充分享受折磨的全部好处。使他对你产生憎恨的并不是我——而是他自己的可爱精神。 —

He’s as bitter as gall at your desertion and its consequences:
你的离弃和其后果让他心如死灰, —

don’t expect thanks for this noble devotion.
不要指望对这种高尚奉献能得到感激。 —

I heard him draw a pleasant picture to Zillah of what he would do if he were as strong as I:
我听到他向芝拉描绘了一个美好的画面,如果他像我一样强壮,他会做些什么: —

the inclination is there, and his very weakness will sharpen his wits to find a substitute for strength.”
这种倾向是存在的,而他的弱点将磨砺他的智慧,为力量找到替代品。

“I know he has a bad nature,” said Catherine:
我知道他有一个坏脾气,”凯瑟琳说, —

“he’s your son. But I’m glad I’ve a better, to forgive it;
“他是你的儿子。但我庆幸我有一个更好的脾气来宽恕他; —

and I know he loves me, and for that reason I love him.
我知道他爱我,正因为如此我爱他。 —

Mr. Heathcliff, you have nobody to love you;
赫斯克利夫先生,你没有一个人爱你; —

and, however miserable you make us, we shall still have the revenge of thinking that your cruelty arises from your greater misery.
不管你使我们多么痛苦,我们仍然可以报复地认为你的残忍始于你的更大的苦难。 —

You are miserable, are you not? Lonely, like the devil, and envious like him?
你很痛苦,不是吗?孤独像魔鬼,嫉妒像他一样? —

Nobody loves you—nobody will cry for you when you die!
没有人爱你,当你死的时候没有人会为你哭泣! —

I wouldn’t be you!”
我宁愿不是你!”

Catherine spoke with a kind of dreary triumph:
凯瑟琳带着一种沉闷的胜利感说道: —

she seemed to have made up her mind to enter into the spirit of her future family, and draw pleasure from the griefs of her enemies.
她似乎已经下定决心要融入她未来的家庭,并从敌人的悲伤中获得快乐。

“You shall be sorry to be yourself presently, ” said her father-in-law, “if you stand there another minute.
“如果你再站在那儿多待一分钟,你会为自己感到后悔的,”她的岳父说道。 —

Begone, witch, and get your things!”
“滚开,巫婆,把你的东西带走!”

She scornfully withdrew. In her absence I began to beg for Zillah’s place at the Heights, offering to resign mine to her;
她轻蔑地离开了。我开始请求能在海茨庄园担任希拉的位置,主动让给她我的位置; —

but he would suffer it on no account. He bid me be silent;
但他绝不同意这个请求。他要我保持安静; —

and then, for the first time, allowed himself a glance round the room and a look at the pictures.
然后,他第一次环视了这个房间,看了看墙上的画作。 —

Having studied Mrs. Linton’s, he said—“I shall have that home.
看完了林顿太太的画作之后,他说:“这将成为我的家。 —

Not because I need it, but—” He turned abruptly to the fire, and continued, with what, for lack of a better word, I must call a smile—“I’ll tell you what I did yesterday!
不是因为我需要它,而是——”他突然转向火炉,继续说道,用我只能形容为微笑的表情,“我告诉你昨天我干了什么事! —

I got the sexton, who was digging Linton’s grave, to remove the earth off her coffin lid, and I opened it.
我让挖掘林顿的坟墓的牧师助手将棺材盖上的泥土清除,然后我打开了棺材。 —

I thought, once, I would have stayed there:
我曾经以为我会留在那里: —

when I saw her face again—it is hers yet!
当我再次看到她的脸时——它还是她的! —

—he had hard work to stir me;
——他费了好大劲才能把我动一下; —

but he said it would change if the air blew on it, and so I struck one side of the coffin loose, and covered it up: not Linton’s side, damn him!
但他说如果有风吹到上面的话,它会改变的,所以我把棺材的一边弄松了,然后盖上了:不是林顿的那边,该死的! —

I wish he’d been soldered in lead.
我希望他被铅焊死。 —

And I bribed the sexton to pull it away when I’m laid there, and slide mine out too;
我贿赂墓穴管理员在我下葬时把它拿走,并也把我的滑出来; —

I’ll have it made so: and then by the time Linton gets to us he’ll not know which is which!”
我会让它变成这样:等到林顿来找我们的时候他就不知道哪个是哪个了!

“You were very wicked, Mr. Heathcliff!” I exclaimed;
“你太邪恶了,希斯克利夫先生!”我惊呼道, —

“were you not ashamed to disturb the dead?”
“你不为你打扰死者感到羞耻吗?”

“I disturbed nobody, Nelly,” he replied;
“我没有打扰任何人,娜莉, —

“and I gave some ease to myself.
”他回答道,“我给了自己一些安慰。 —

I shall be a great deal more comfortable now;
现在我会更舒服一些; —

and you’ll have a better chance of keeping me underground, when I get there. Disturbed her? No!
而且等我到了地下,你就更有机会把我留在那里。打扰她?不! —

she has disturbed me, night and day, through eighteen years—incessantly—remorselessly—till yesternight;
她不停地打扰了我,日夜不停,整整十八年——无情地——直到昨天晚上; —

and yesternight I was tranquil.
昨天晚上我平静了。 —

I dreamt I was sleeping the last sleep by that sleeper, with my heart stopped and my cheek frozen against hers.”
“我梦见我正在睡那个人的最后一个长眠,我的心停止跳动,我的脸颊冻结在她的脸上。”

“And if she had been dissolved into earth, or worse, what would you have dreamt of then?” I said.
“如果她已经融化成土,或者更糟的话,你会梦见什么?”我说。

“Of dissolving with her, and being more happy still!
“和她一起融化,然后更加幸福! —

” he answered. “Do you suppose I dread any change of that sort?
”他回答道。“你以为我会害怕那样的变化吗? —

I expected such a transformation on raising the lid, but I’m better pleased that it should not commence till I share it.
我期望着在打开棺材盖时出现这样的变化,但我更高兴它是在我分享之后才开始。 —

Besides, unless I had received a distinct impression of her passionless features, that strange feeling would hardly have been removed.
此外,除非我得到她没有感情的面容的清晰印象,奇怪的感觉几乎不会消失。 —

It began oddly. You know I was wild after she died;
一切开始很奇怪。你知道,在她去世后, —

and eternally, from dawn to dawn, praying her to return to me her spirit!
我变得疯狂,从黎明到黎明,不停地祈求她的灵魂回到我身边! —

I have a strong faith in ghosts:
“我对鬼魂有强烈的信仰: —

I have a conviction that they can, and do, exist among us!
我相信它们可以存在于我们中间! —

The day she was buried, there came a fall of snow.
她下葬的那天下了一场雪。 —

In the evening I went to the churchyard.
傍晚时,我去了教堂。四周一片荒凉, —

It blew bleak as winter—all round was solitary.
风呼啸着,仿佛是冬天一样。 —

I didn’t fear that her fool of a husband would wander up the glen so late;
我并不担心她那个愚蠢的丈夫会在这么晚的时候走进山谷; —

and no one else had business to bring them there.
而且也没有别人的理由把他们带到这里来。 —

Being alone, and conscious two yards of loose earth was the sole barrier between us, I said to myself—‘I’ll have her in my arms again!
独自一人,意识到我们之间只有两码的松土,我对自己说:“我会再次拥抱她!” —

If she be cold, I’ll think it is this north wind that chills me;
如果她冷,我会觉得是这个北风让我寒冷; —

and if she be motionless, it is sleep.
如果她不动,那一定是在睡觉。 —

’ I got a spade from the tool-house, and began to delve with all my might—it scraped the coffin;
我从工具房拿了一把铁锨,全力挖掘——它刮到了棺材; —

I fell to work with my hands;
我用手努力挖掘; —

the wood commenced cracking about the screws;
木头在螺丝上开裂; —

I was on the point of attaining my object, when it seemed that I heard a sigh from some one above, close at the edge of the grave, and bending down.
我正在接近我的目标时,似乎从上方的坟墓边缘处听到了一声叹息,低下身去。 —

‘If I can only get this off,’ I muttered, ‘I wish they may shovel in the earth over us both!
“如果我能把它解开,”我嘟囔道,“愿他们把我们俩一起埋葬! —

’ and I wrenched at it more desperately still.
”我越发拼命地使劲拉扯。 —

There was another sigh, close at my ear.
在我耳边又传来一声叹息。 —

I appeared to feel the warm breath of it displacing the sleet-laden wind.
我似乎能感受到它温暖的气息在击打带有雨夹雪的风中。 —

I knew no living thing in flesh and blood was by; but, as certainly as you perceive the approach to some substantial body in the dark, though it cannot be discerned, so certainly I felt that Cathy was there:
我知道没有一种有血有肉的生物在我的身旁;但就像在黑暗中你能感知到接近某个实质性的物体一样,我就是那样确定地感觉到凯茜在那儿。 —

not under me, but on the earth.
不是在我下面,而是在地上。 —

A sudden sense of relief flowed from my heart through every limb.
我突然感到一阵轻松从心中涌出,扩散到身体的每个部分。 —

I relinquished my labour of agony, and turned consoled at once:
我放弃了我痛苦的努力,立刻感到安慰: —

unspeakably consoled. Her presence was with me:
无法言喻的安慰。她和我在一起。 —

it remained while I re-filled the grave, and led me home.
当我重新填满坟墓,带我回家的时候,它依然在那儿。 —

You may laugh, if you will;
你可以笑,若你愿意; —

but I was sure I should see her there.
但我确信我会在那儿见到她。 —

I was sure she was with me, and I could not help talking to her.
我确定她与我同在,我不禁和她说话。 —

Having reached the Heights, I rushed eagerly to the door.
到达高地后,我急切地冲向门口。 —

It was fastened;
门被锁着; —

and, I remember, that accursed Earnshaw and my wife opposed my entrance.
我记得那可恶的恩肖和我妻子反对我进去。 —

I remember stopping to kick the breath out of him, and then hurrying upstairs, to my room and hers.
我记得停下来揍了他一顿,然后匆忙上楼,到我的房间和她的房间。 —

I looked round impatiently—I felt her by me—I could almost see her, and yet I could not!
我不耐烦地四处张望-我感觉到她在我身边-我几乎可以看到她,却偏偏看不见! —

I ought to have sweat blood then, from the anguish of my yearning—from the fervour of my supplications to have but one glimpse!
那时的痛苦和渴望让我仿佛要冒汗出血-从我的哀求热情中尽诉心声-只求一瞥!可我一无所获。 —

I had not one.

She showed herself, as she often was in life, a devil to me!
她表现出了她在生活中经常对我表现出的魔鬼一面! —

And, since then, sometimes more and sometimes less, I’ve been the sport of that intolerable torture!
从那时起,有时多一点,有时少一点,我一直被那难以忍受的折磨所戏弄!地狱般的! —

Infernal!

keeping my nerves at such a stretch that, if they had not resembled catgut, they would long ago have relaxed to the feebleness of Linton’s.
我承受着紧张得像琴弦一样的神经,如果它们不像猫肠那样,早就松弛到林顿那样的软弱了。 —

When I sat in the house with Hareton, it seemed that on going out I should meet her;
当我和赫顿坐在屋子里时,仿佛外面遇到她;当我在荒原上散步时, —

when I walked on the moors I should meet her coming in.
仿佛会遇到她回来。 —

When I went from home I hastened to return;
当我离家时,我匆忙地回来; —

she must be somewhere at the Heights, I was certain!
她一定在高地的某个地方,我肯定! —

And when I slept in her chamber—I was beaten out of that.
— —

I couldn’t lie there;

for the moment I closed my eyes, she was either outside the window, or sliding back the panels, or entering the room, or even resting her darling head on the same pillow as she did when a child;
当我睡在她的卧室里时,我被赶了出来。我不能在那里躺着。 —

and I must open my lids to see.
一闭上眼睛,她要么在窗外, —

And so I opened and closed them a hundred times a night—to be always disappointed!
要么滑开门板,要么进入房间,甚至还要在和小时候一样的枕头上休息她可爱的头; —

It racked me!

I’ve often groaned aloud, till that old rascal Joseph no doubt believed that my conscience was playing the fiend inside of me.
我必须睁开眼睛去看。所以我一晚上睁开和闭上眼睛一百次,总是失望!它折磨着我! —

Now, since I’ve seen her, I’m pacified—a little.
现在,自从我见到她,我稍微平静了一些。 —

It was a strange way of killing:
这是一种奇怪的杀戮方式: —

not by inches, but by fractions of hairbreadths, to beguile me with the spectre of a hope through eighteen years!”
不是逐渐的,而是以微小到无法计量的程度,通过18年的时间欺骗着我,给我一线希望的幻影!

Mr. Heathcliff paused and wiped his forehead;
希思克里夫先生停下来擦了擦额头, —

his hair clung to it, wet with perspiration;
他的头发沾满了汗水; —

his eyes were fixed on the red embers of the fire, the brows not contracted, but raised next the temples;
他的眼睛盯着火颜红的余烬,眉毛略微向上,紧贴太阳穴; —

diminishing the grim aspect of his countenance, but imparting a peculiar look of trouble, and a painful appearance of mental tension towards one absorbing subject.
减轻了他脸色的严峻之感,却给他的容貌带来了一种烦恼的神情,以及一种对一个占据他全部思绪的话题的痛苦样子。 —

He only half addressed me, and I maintained silence.
他只是半公开地对我说话,而我则保持沉默。 —

I didn’t like to hear him talk!
我不想听他说话! —

After a short period he resumed his meditation on the picture, took it down and leant it against the sofa to contemplate it at better advantage;
过了一小段时间,他重新沉思着那幅画,取下它,靠在沙发上以更好地欣赏; —

and while so occupied Catherine entered, announcing that she was ready, when her pony should be saddled.
就在他这样忙碌的时候,凯瑟琳进来了,她宣布她已经准备好了,只要她的马匹上好鞍具就可以出发了。

“Send that over to-morrow,” said Heathcliff to me;
“明天把那个送过来,”希斯克利夫对我说;然后转向她,补充道:“你可以不带小马了: —

then turning to her, he added:
这是一个晴朗的晚上,在呼啸山庄你不需要马; —

“You may do without your pony:
你走的这些路程,你自己的双脚就足够了。走吧。” —

it is a fine evening, and you’ll need no ponies at Wuthering Heights;
“再见,艾伦!”我亲爱的小主人低声对我说。她亲吻我的时候,她的嘴唇冰凉。“来看我,艾伦;别忘了。” —

for what journeys you take, your own feet will serve you. Come along.”
“小心你可不要这么做,迪恩太太!”她的新父亲说道。

“Good-bye, Ellen!” whispered my dear little mistress.
“当我想跟你说话的时候, —

As she kissed me, her lips felt like ice.
我会来这里的。 —

“Come and see me, Ellen;
我不希望你在我的房子里窥探! —

don’t forget.”

“Take care you do no such thing, Mrs. Dean!” said her new father.
他示意她先走,并投以一刀见血的目光,她遵从了。我从窗户里看着他们走过花园。 —

“When I wish to speak to you I’ll come here.
希斯克利夫把凯瑟琳的手臂挽在自己的手臂下,虽然她一开始反对, —

I want none of your prying at my house!”
但他迅速地把她带进了树木掩映的小路里。

He signed her to precede him;
她眼睛扫视了一遍房间, —

and casting back a look that cut my heart, she obeyed.
然后又看向那张照片。画中的女人面色憔悴,但我认出了她, —

I watched them, from the window, walk down the garden.
那是年轻时的凯瑟琳。她的眼神充满哀伤和无助,让我心生怜悯。 —

Heathcliff fixed Catherine’s arm under his:
突然,她转过头,盯着我看了一会儿。 —

though she disputed the act at first evidently;
我感到一阵寒意袭来,仿佛她能看透我的内心。 —

and with rapid strides he hurried her into the alley, whose trees concealed them.
她转身走向门口,闭上了门。我心中一片空白,不知道接下来该怎么办。她的离开使我感到无比孤独和失落。