About twelve o’clock that night was born the Catherine you saw at Wuthering Heights:
大约在那天晚上十二点钟,出生了你在呼啸山庄见到的凯瑟琳: —

a puny, seven-months’ child;
一个虚弱的、出生七个月的孩子; —

and two hours after the mother died, having never recovered sufficient consciousness to miss Heathcliff, or know Edgar. The latter’s distraction at his bereavement is a subject too painful to be dwelt on;
两个小时后,她的母亲去世了,她从未恢复到有意识地想念希斯克利夫或者认识爱德加。爱德加在丧子之痛上的痛苦实在是一个让人难以言说的主题; —

its after-effects showed how deep the sorrow sunk.
而他的悲伤也显示出了它有多么深入他的内心。 —

A great addition, in my eyes, was his being left without an heir.
对我来说,他没有继承人是个巨大的遗憾; —

I bemoaned that, as I gazed on the feeble orphan;
当我看着这个虚弱的孤儿时,我为此感到悲叹, —

and I mentally abused old Linton for (what was only natural partiality) the securing his estate to his own daughter, instead of his son’s.
并在心里诅咒老林顿(虽然这只是正常的偏爱),他将财产留给了自己的女儿,而不是儿子; —

An unwelcomed infant it was, poor thing!
这是个不受欢迎的婴儿,可怜的东西! —

It might have wailed out of life, and nobody cared a morsel, during those first hours of existence.
在那个生命的最初几个小时里,它可能已经嚎啕大哭,但没有人会在乎的; —

We redeemed the neglect afterwards;
我们后来弥补了疏忽, —

but its beginning was as friendless as its end is likely to be.
但它的开始像它的结局一样无望。

Next morning—bright and cheerful out of doors—stole softened in through the blinds of the silent room, and suffused the couch and its occupant with a mellow, tender glow.
第二天早晨,在外面明亮愉悦的天空透过窗帘洒进寂静的房间,在沙发和躺在上面的人身上散发出柔和、温柔的光芒。 —

Edgar Linton had his head laid on the pillow, and his eyes shut.
埃德加·林顿把头放在枕头上,闭上了眼睛。 —

His young and fair features were almost as deathlike as those of the form beside him, and almost as fixed:
他年轻美丽的面容几乎和旁边的人一样死一般苍白,几乎一动不动: —

but his was the hush of exhausted anguish, and hers of perfect peace.
但是他的安静是因为痛苦的精疲力竭,而她的安宁则是完美无暇的。 —

Her brow smooth, her lids closed, her lips wearing the expression of a smile;
她的额头光滑,眼睑紧闭,嘴唇带着微笑的表情; —

no angel in heaven could be more beautiful than she appeared.
天堂中的任何天使都不会比她更美丽。 —

And I partook of the infinite calm in which she lay:
我分享了她躺着时无穷的宁静: —

my mind was never in a holier frame than while I gazed on that untroubled image of Divine rest.
当我凝视着那个没有烦恼的神圣休息的形象时,我的心灵从未如此神圣。 —

I instinctively echoed the words she had uttered a few hours before:
我本能地回想起她几个小时前说过的话:“无与伦比地超越我们所有人!不管她现在仍在尘世还是已经进入天堂, —

“Incomparably beyond and above us all!
她的灵魂已经回到了上帝的家!” —

Whether still on earth or now in heaven, her spirit is at home with God!”
无需额外解释,她的思想与原文不谋而合。

I don’t know if it be a peculiarity in me, but I am seldom otherwise than happy while watching in the chamber of death, should no frenzied or despairing mourner share the duty with me.
我不知道这是否是我的古怪之处,但在死亡之室中,只要没有狂乱或绝望的悲伤者与我同分此责,我很少不快乐。 —

I see a repose that neither earth nor hell can break, and I feel an assurance of the endless and shadowless hereafter—the Eternity they have entered—where life is boundless in its duration, and love in its sympathy, and joy in its fulness.
我看到了一种安宁,既无法被地狱也不能被打破,我感到了一个无尽和无影的来世的确信——他们进入的永恒,那里生命无边无际,爱充满同情,快乐充满满足。 —

I noticed on that occasion how much selfishness there is even in a love like Mr. Linton’s, when he so regretted Catherine’s blessed release!
我在那个场合注意到,即使是像林顿先生这样的爱,其中也充满了自私,他那么后悔凯瑟琳的解脱! —

To be sure, one might have doubted, after the wayward and impatient existence she had led, whether she merited a haven of peace at last.
当然,在她过去的任性和急躁的生活之后,一个人可能会怀疑她是否配得上最后的平安港。 —

One might doubt in seasons of cold reflection;
或许在冷静思考的时候会有疑问, —

but not then, in the presence of her corpse.
但在她的尸体面前不会。 —

It asserted its own tranquillity, which seemed a pledge of equal quiet to its former inhabitant.
它宣示着它自己的宁静,似乎是对其以前的居民平静的承诺。

Do you believe such people are happy in the other world, sir? I’d give a great deal to know.
您认为这样的人在另一个世界里是快乐的吗,先生?我很想知道。

I declined answering Mrs. Dean’s question, which struck me as something heterodox.
我拒绝回答琼夫人的问题,因为我觉得这有些异端邪说。 —

She proceeded:
她继续说:

Retracing the course of Catherine Linton, I fear we have no right to think she is;
回顾凯瑟琳·林顿的一生,恐怕我们没有权利认为她是快乐的; —

but we’ll leave her with her Maker.
但我们将她交给她的造物主。

The master looked asleep, and I ventured soon after sunrise to quit the room and steal out to the pure refreshing air.
主人看起来像是睡着了,于是我决定在日出后不久离开房间,到清新的空气中去。 —

The servants thought me gone to shake off the drowsiness of my protracted watch;
仆人们以为我离开是为了摆脱持续了很久的守夜的昏倦;而实际上, —

in reality, my chief motive was seeing Mr. Heathcliff.
我主要是为了见到希斯克利夫先生。 —

If he had remained among the larches all night, he would have heard nothing of the stir at the Grange;
如果他整夜都待在落叶松中,他就不会听到庄园里的喧闹声; —

unless, perhaps, he might catch the gallop of the messenger going to Gimmerton.
除非,也许他能听到去吉默顿的信使的奔驰声。 —

If he had come nearer, he would probably be aware, from the lights flitting to and fro, and the opening and shutting of the outer doors, that all was not right within.
如果他再靠近一些,他可能会从光线的闪烁、门的打开和关闭中意识到内部的情况不对劲。 —

I wished, yet feared, to find him.
我希望却又害怕找到他。 —

I felt the terrible news must be told, and I longed to get it over;
我觉得这个可怕的消息必须告诉他,我渴望把它告诉他, —

but how to do it I did not know.
但是我不知道该如何做。 —

He was there—at least, a few yards further in the park;
他在那里,至少在公园里更靠里几码的地方; —

leant against an old ash-tree, his hat off, and his hair soaked with the dew that had gathered on the budded branches, and fell pattering round him.
他靠在一棵古老的欧楂树上,帽子没戴,头发沾满了露水,从那些新长的枝条上滴落下来。 —

He had been standing a long time in that position, for I saw a pair of ousels passing and repassing scarcely three feet from him, busy in building their nest, and regarding his proximity no more than that of a piece of timber.
他一直站在那个姿势,因为我看到有一对黑鸟来回飞,离他几乎只有三英尺远,忙着筑巢,对他的接近视为一块木料而已。 —

They flew off at my approach, and he raised his eyes and spoke:—“She’s dead!
它们在我靠近时飞走了,他抬起眼睛说:“她死了! —

” he said; “I’ve not waited for you to learn that.
我没有等你来才知道这一点。 —

Put your handkerchief away—don’t snivel before me.
把你的手帕收起来,别在我面前呜咽。该死的, —

Damn you all!
你们都该死! —

she wants none of your tears!”
她不需要你们的眼泪!”

I was weeping as much for him as her:
我为他和她都在哭泣:有时候, —

we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
我们会同情那些既不为自己也不为他人感到悲伤的生物。 —

When I first looked into his face, I perceived that he had got intelligence of the catastrophe;
当我第一次看着他的脸时,我感觉到他已经得到了灾难的消息; —

and a foolish notion struck me that his heart was quelled and he prayed, because his lips moved and his gaze was bent on the ground.
我产生了一个愚蠢的想法,认为他的心被压制住了,他在祈祷,因为他的嘴唇在动,目光垂向地面。

“Yes, she’s dead!” I answered, checking my sobs and drying my cheeks.
“是的,她死了!”我回答道,制止住泪水,擦干脸颊。 —

“Gone to heaven, I hope;
“希望她去了天堂; —

where we may, every one, join her, if we take due warning and leave our evil ways to follow good!”
在那里,只要我们听到警告,摒弃邪恶行径而选择善良,我们每个人都可以加入她!”

“Did she take due warning, then?
“那她听到警告了吗? —

” asked Heathcliff, attempting a sneer.
”希斯克利夫问道,试图嘲笑。 —

“Did she die like a saint? Come, give me a true history of the event.
“她像圣人一样去世了吗?来吧,给我讲讲事件的真实经过。 —

How did—?”
她是怎么——?”

He endeavoured to pronounce the name, but could not manage it;
他试图念出名字,但却没能成功; —

and compressing his mouth he held a silent combat with his inward agony, defying, meanwhile, my sympathy with an unflinching, ferocious stare.
他嘴紧闭,面对内心的痛苦,他用坚定而凶狠的眼神挑战着我的同情。 —

“How did she die?” he resumed, at last—fain, notwithstanding his hardihood, to have a support behind him;
“她是怎么死的?”他最终又继续问道,尽管他的勇气坚强,但仍然希望有一个支持他的后盾。 —

for, after the struggle, he trembled, in spite of himself, to his very finger-ends.
经过斗争后,他不由自主地发抖,一直到指尖。

“Poor wretch!” I thought;
“可怜的可怜虫!”我想, —

“you have a heart and nerves the same as your brother men! Why should you be anxious to conceal them?
“你有着和其他人一样的心和神经!你为什么要隐藏它们呢? —

Your pride cannot blind God!
你的骄傲无法蒙蔽上帝! —

You tempt him to wring them, till he forces a cry of humiliation.”
你引诱他来扭曲它们,直到他逼出屈辱的呐喊。”

“Quietly as a lamb!” I answered, aloud.
“像只小羔羊一样安静!”我大声回答。 —

“She drew a sigh, and stretched herself, like a child reviving, and sinking again to sleep;
“她叹了口气,伸直了身子,像一个恢复生机和再次沉入睡眠的孩子; —

and five minutes after I felt one little pulse at her heart, and nothing more!”
五分钟后,我感到她心脏有一次微弱的跳动,然后再没有了!”

“And—did she ever mention me?” he asked, hesitating, as if he dreaded the answer to his question would introduce details that he could not bear to hear.
“她曾经提起过我吗?”他犹豫地问道,仿佛他害怕对他的这个问题的回答会引入他无法承受的细节。

“Her senses never returned:
“她的意识从你离开她的那一刻开始就没有恢复过: —

she recognised nobody from the time you left her, ” I said. “She lies with a sweet smile on her face;
她认不出任何人。”我说。“她躺着脸上带着甜美的微笑; —

and her latest ideas wandered back to pleasant early days.
她最后的思绪流连于美好的早日。 —

Her life closed in a gentle dream—may she wake as kindly in the other world!”
她的生命在一个温柔的梦中结束了——愿她在另一个世界中也能如此亲切地醒来!”

“May she wake in torment!” he cried, with frightful vehemence, stamping his foot, and groaning in a sudden paroxysm of ungovernable passion.
“愿她在痛苦中醒来!”他大声叫道,带着可怕的狂热,一脚踩地,突然间悲鸣,情绪无法控制地发作。 —

“Why, she’s a liar to the end! Where is she?
“为什么,她一直到最后都在撒谎!她在哪里? —

Not there—not in heaven—not perished—where? Oh!
不在那儿——不在天堂——没有死去——在哪里?哦! —

you said you cared nothing for my sufferings!
你说你一点都不在乎我的痛苦! —

And I pray one prayer—I repeat it till my tongue stiffens—Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living;
我祈祷一个祈祷——我重复着,直到我的舌头僵硬——凯瑟琳·恩肖,只要我还活着,愿你永远无法安息; —

you said I killed you—haunt me, then!
你说我杀了你——那么你就鬼魂缠身吧! —

The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe.
我相信被谋杀的人会缠绕着他们的凶手。 —

I know that ghosts have wandered on earth.
我知道鬼魂曾经在地上徘徊。 —

Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad!
永远和我在一起——以任何形式出现——把我逼疯! —

only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!
只是别抛下我在这个深渊中,我找不到你!哦, —

Oh, God!
上帝! —

it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!”
这无法形容!我不能没有我的生命而活!我不能没有我的灵魂而活!”

He dashed his head against the knotted trunk; and, lifting up his eyes, howled, not like a man, but like a savage beast being goaded to death with knives and spears.
他把脑袋猛撞在那粗糙的树干上;抬起眼睛,嚎叫起来,不像一个人,而像一头被刀刃和矛戳死的野兽。 —

I observed several splashes of blood about the bark of the tree, and his hand and forehead were both stained;
我看到树皮上有几处血迹,他的手和额头都被染红了; —

probably the scene I witnessed was a repetition of others acted during the night.
我看到的场景可能是夜间发生过的一个重复,它几乎没有引起我的同情, —

It hardly moved my compassion—it appalled me:
而是让我感到震惊; —

still, I felt reluctant to quit him so.
尽管如此,我还是不舍得离开他。 —

But the moment he recollected himself enough to notice me watching, he thundered a command for me to go, and I obeyed.
但是他稍微恢复了一些意识,注意到我在看着他,于是他大声命令我离开,我就服从了他的命令; —

He was beyond my skill to quiet or console!
他已经超出了我平常安抚和安慰的能力范围!

Mrs. Linton’s funeral was appointed to take place on the Friday following her decease;
林顿夫人的葬礼定于她去世后的星期五举行; —

and till then her coffin remained uncovered, and strewn with flowers and scented leaves, in the great drawing-room.
在那之前,她的棺材还没有盖上,里面铺满了花朵和香叶,在大客厅里摆放着; —

Linton spent his days and nights there, a sleepless guardian;
林顿整天整夜都呆在那里,守卫着这里; —

and—a circumstance concealed from all but me—Heathcliff spent his nights, at least, outside, equally a stranger to repose.
而—这是对所有人隐瞒的—希斯克利夫至少在晚上也在外面,完全没有休息; —

I held no communication with him; still, I was conscious of his design to enter, if he could;
我与他没有任何联系,但我知道他想尽办法进来; —

and on the Tuesday, a little after dark, when my master, from sheer fatigue, had been compelled to retire a couple of hours, I went and opened one of the windows;
星期二的晚上,天刚黑下来,我的主人因为过度疲惫已经不得不早早休息了几个小时,我走到窗户前打开了一扇窗子; —

moved by his perseverance to give him a chance of bestowing on the faded image of his idol one final adieu.
被他坚持不懈的精神所感动,我给了他一个机会,让他能够最后一次向他的偶像献上最后的告别。 —

He did not omit to avail himself of the opportunity, cautiously and briefly; too cautiously to betray his presence by the slightest noise.
他并没有错过这个机会,谨慎而又短暂地;足够小心以至于不会发出任何声音来泄露他的存在。 —

Indeed, I shouldn’t have discovered that he had been there, except for the disarrangement of the drapery about the corpse’s face, and for observing on the floor a curl of light hair, fastened with a silver thread;
事实上,如果不是因为尸体脸上的褶皱和地板上的一缕束发现的话,我不会发现他曾经在那里过; —

which, on examination, I ascertained to have been taken from a locket hung round Catherine’s neck.
我仔细检查后发现,那是从凯瑟琳的项链上取下来的一缕金发,用一根银丝固定住的; —

Heathcliff had opened the trinket and cast out its contents, replacing them by a black lock of his own.
希斯克利夫打开了这个饰物,替换掉了里面的东西,用自己的黑发代替。 —

I twisted the two, and enclosed them together.
我把两者扭在一起,贴在一起。

Mr. Earnshaw was, of course, invited to attend the remains of his sister to the grave; he sent no excuse, but he never came;
当然,恩肖先生应该被邀请参加他姐姐的葬礼,但他没有发送任何借口,也没有来; —

so that, besides her husband, the mourners were wholly composed of tenants and servants.
因此,除了她的丈夫之外,哀悼者完全由租户和仆人组成。 —

Isabella was not asked.
伊莎贝拉没有被邀请。

The place of Catherine’s interment, to the surprise of the villagers, was neither in the chapel under the carved monument of the Lintons, nor yet by the tombs of her own relations, outside.
出乎村民的意料,凯瑟琳的安葬地不在林顿家族雕刻的纪念碑下的教堂里,也不在她自己亲属的墓地外。 —

It was dug on a green slope in a corner of the kirkyard, where the wall is so low that heath and bilberry-plants have climbed over it from the moor;
在教堂墓地的一个绿斜坡上挖掘,墙低到足够低,以至于从荒野上爬过来的石南和越橘几乎将其掩埋。 —

and peat-mould almost buries it.
她的丈夫现在就躺在同样的地方; —

Her husband lies in the same spot now;

and they have each a simple headstone above, and a plain grey block at their feet, to mark the graves.
他们的墓地上方各有一个简单的墓碑,脚下放着一块朴素的灰色石头,用以标记墓地。