While Miss Linton moped about the park and garden, always silent, and almost always in tears;
当林顿小姐黯然神伤地在公园和花园闲逛时,总是沉默寡言,几乎总是泪流满面; —

and her brother shut himself up among books that he never opened—wearying, I guessed, with a continual vague expectation that Catherine, repenting her conduct, would come of her own accord to ask pardon, and seek a reconciliation—and she fasted pertinaciously, under the idea, probably, that at every meal Edgar was ready to choke for her absence, and pride alone held him from running to cast himself at her feet;
而她的弟弟闭门不出,沉迷于他从未打开过的书籍,我猜他已厌倦了持续的模糊期望,即凯瑟琳会悔过自新地主动前来道歉,寻求和解,而她顽固地继续禁食,可能是因为她认为每顿饭时埃德加都因为她的缺席而窒息,只有骄傲使他不至于跑去跪在她脚前; —

I went about my household duties, convinced that the Grange had but one sensible soul in its walls, and that lodged in my body.
我忙碌于家务事务之中,深信这个庄园里只有一个理智的灵魂,就是寄托在我的身上; —

I wasted no condolences on Miss, nor any expostulations on my mistress;
我对小姐既不浪费同情,也不向女主人责备; —

nor did I pay much attention to the sighs of my master, who yearned to hear his lady’s name, since he might not hear her voice.
我也没有太在意我主人的叹息,他渴望听到夫人的名字,因为他无法听到她的声音。 —

I determined they should come about as they pleased for me;
我决定,他们应该随心所欲地来找我; —

and though it was a tiresomely slow process, I began to rejoice at length in a faint dawn of its progress:
尽管这是一个令人厌烦的缓慢过程,我开始喜悦地注意到它的进展: —

as I thought at first.
至少我最开始是这么想的。

Mrs. Linton, on the third day, unbarred her door, and having finished the water in her pitcher and decanter, desired a renewed supply, and a basin of gruel, for she believed she was dying.
第三天,林顿夫人打开了门,喝完了壶和瓶子里的水后,她要求再来一些水,一碗稀粥,因为她觉得自己快要死了。 —

That I set down as a speech meant for Edgar’s ears;
我把这一番话归结为写给爱德格听的, —

I believed no such thing, so I kept it to myself and brought her some tea and dry toast.
虽然我并不相信她真的这么想,所以我把它留在心里,给她泡了杯茶和烤了片干面包。 —

She ate and drank eagerly, and sank back on her pillow again, clenching her hands and groaning.
她狼吞虎咽地吃喝着,又沉到枕头上,紧紧地握着双手,呻吟着。 —

“Oh, I will die,” she exclaimed, “since no one cares anything about me.
“哦,我要死了,”她呼喊道,“因为没有人在乎我。 —

I wish I had not taken that.
我真希望当初没有这么做。” —

” Then a good while after I heard her murmur, “No, I’ll not die—he’d be glad—he does not love me at all—he would never miss me!”
然后好久以后我听到她低声说,“不,我不会死——他会感到高兴——他根本不爱我——他永远不会想念我!”

“Did you want anything, ma’am?” I inquired, still preserving my external composure, in spite of her ghastly countenance and strange, exaggerated manner.
“您有什么需要吗,夫人?”我询问道,尽管她那可怕的面容和奇怪夸张的举止,我仍然保持着外表的冷静。

“What is that apathetic being doing?” she demanded, pushing the thick entangled locks from her wasted face.
“那个冷漠的人在干什么?”她要求道,将密集而凌乱的发丝从消瘦的脸上拨开。 —

“Has he fallen into a lethargy, or is he dead?”
“他是陷入了昏睡还是已经死了?”

“Neither,” replied I; “if you mean Mr. Linton.
“都不是,”我回答道,“如果您指的是林顿先生的话。 —

He’s tolerably well, I think, though his studies occupy him rather more than they ought:
我想他还过得去,尽管他的学业占据了他太多的时间:他总是待在书堆中,因为他没有其他的社交。 —

he is continually among his books, since he has no other society.”
“我如果知道她真正的状况,就不会说出这样的话。但我无法摆脱这样的想法,认为她在模仿她的疾病。”

I should not have spoken so if I had known her true condition, but I could not get rid of the notion that she acted a part of her disorder.
“待在书堆中!”她惊讶地喊道。“而我却濒临死亡!我的上帝!他是否知道我变得如此不同?

“Among his books!” she cried, confounded.
“接着她盯着悬在对面墙上的镜子里的自己的倒影说道: —

“And I dying! I on the brink of the grave!
“那是凯瑟琳·林顿吗? —

My God! does he know how I’m altered?

” continued she, staring at her reflection in a mirror hanging against the opposite wall.
“Neither,” replied I; “if you mean Mr. Linton. He’s tolerably well, I think, though his studies occupy him rather more than they ought:he is continually among his books, —

“Is that Catherine Linton?
since he has no other society.” —

He imagines me in a pet—in play, perhaps.
他把我想象成一个宠物,也许只是玩耍而已。 —

Cannot you inform him that it is frightful earnest?
你能不能告诉他这是非常严肃的事情? —

Nelly, if it be not too late, as soon as I learn how he feels, I’ll choose between these two:
妮莉,如果还不算太晚,一旦我了解到他的感受,我就会在这两者之间做出选择: —

either to starve at once—that would be no punishment unless he had a heart—or to recover, and leave the country.
要么立即饿死——这对他来说并不是一种惩罚,除非他有一颗心,要么康复并离开这个国家。 —

Are you speaking the truth about him now? Take care.
你现在说的是真的吗?小心点。 —

Is he actually so utterly indifferent for my life?”
他对我生命真的那么漠不关心吗?

“Why, ma’am,” I answered, “the master has no idea of your being deranged;
“嗯,夫人,”我回答道,“主人完全没有意识到您发疯了; —

and of course he does not fear that you will let yourself die of hunger.”
当然他也不担心您会饿死。”

“You think not? Cannot you tell him I will?
“你觉得不会?你不能告诉他我会! —

” she returned. “Persuade him!
”她回答道。“说服他! —

speak of your own mind: say you are certain I will!”
表达你自己的想法:告诉他你确信我会的!”

“No, you forget, Mrs. Linton,” I suggested, “that you have eaten some food with a relish this evening, and to-morrow you will perceive its good effects.”
“不,你忘了,林顿夫人,”我提醒道,“您今晚已经吃了一些食物,并且明天您会感受到它的好处。”

“If I were only sure it would kill him, ” she interrupted, “I’d kill myself directly!
“如果我能确信那会杀了他,”她打断道,“我会立刻自杀!” —

These three awful nights I’ve never closed my lids—and oh, I’ve been tormented! I’ve been haunted, Nelly!
在这三个可怕的夜晚里,我从未合上双眼 —— 哦,我被折磨了!我被困扰着,Nelly! —

But I begin to fancy you don’t like me. How strange!
但我开始觉得你不喜欢我。多么奇怪! —

I thought, though everybody hated and despised each other, they could not avoid loving me.
我以为,尽管每个人都互相憎恨和鄙视,但他们无法避免爱上我。 —

And they have all turned to enemies in a few hours.
而他们都在几小时内变成了敌人。 —

They have, I’m positive;
他们,我肯定; —

the people here.
这里的人。 —

How dreary to meet death, surrounded by their cold faces!
在他们冷漠的脸庞围绕中迎接死亡是多么阴郁啊! —

Isabella, terrified and repelled, afraid to enter the room, it would be so dreadful to watch Catherine go.
伊莎贝拉,害怕而排斥,害怕走进房间,那样可怕地看着凯瑟琳去世。 —

And Edgar standing solemnly by to see it over;
而爱德加则垂肃地站在一旁,等待一切结束; —

then offering prayers of thanks to God for restoring peace to his house, and going back to his books!
然后向上帝祈祷感谢,感谢他恢复了他的家庭和平,然后回到他的书本中! —

What in the name of all that feels has he to do with books, when I am dying?”
当我快要死去时,他有什么关系和书本呢?

She could not bear the notion which I had put into her head of Mr. Linton’s philosophical resignation.
她无法忍受我灌输给她的林顿先生哲学上的顺从。 —

Tossing about, she increased her feverish bewilderment to madness, and tore the pillow with her teeth;
她翻来覆去,由于发热的困扰变得发疯,并用牙齿撕裂枕头。 —

then raising herself up all burning, desired that I would open the window.
她自己燃烧着站起来后,渴望我打开窗户。 —

We were in the middle of winter, the wind blew strong from the north-east, and I objected.
我们正值冬季,北东方的风劲吹得很厉害,我表示反对。 —

Both the expressions flitting over her face, and the changes of her moods, began to alarm me terribly;
她脸上闪现的表情和情绪的变化开始让我非常担忧; —

and brought to my recollection her former illness, and the doctor’s injunction that she should not be crossed.
这让我想起了她以前的病情和医生交代不要惹她生气。 —

A minute previously she was violent;
刚才她非常暴躁; —

now, supported on one arm, and not noticing my refusal to obey her, she seemed to find childish diversion in pulling the feathers from the rents she had just made, and ranging them on the sheet according to their different species:
现在,靠着一只胳膊支撑着,不理会我拒绝她的要求,她似乎在撕下刚才制造的破洞处的羽毛,并按照它们的品种在床单上排列,好像是对孩子般的娱乐: —

her mind had strayed to other associations.
她的思绪已经飘向其他联想。

“That’s a turkey’s,” she murmured to herself;
“这是火鸡的,”她自言自语着;” —

“and this is a wild duck’s;
这是野鸭的; —

and this is a pigeon’s.
这是鸽子的。 —

Ah, they put pigeons’ feathers in the pillows—no wonder I couldn’t die!
啊,他们在枕头里放鸽子的羽毛——难怪我无法去世! —

Let me take care to throw it on the floor when I lie down.
我要记得躺下时把它扔在地板上。 —

And here is a moor-cock’s;
这是一只毛骨悚然的草原鸟; —

and this—I should know it among a thousand—it’s a lapwing’s.
我能在千万只鸟中辨认出它——它是一只卷羽鸻。 —

Bonny bird;
漂亮的小鸟; —

wheeling over our heads in the middle of the moor.
在荒野中飞舞在我们头顶上空。 —

It wanted to get to its nest, for the clouds had touched the swells, and it felt rain coming.
它想飞回巢里,因为云朵触碰到山丘,它感到雨水即将降临。 —

This feather was picked up from the heath, the bird was not shot: we saw its nest in the winter, full of little skeletons.
这根羽毛是从荒地拾起来的,鸟儿并未被射杀:冬天我们在它的巢中发现了一些小骸骨。 —

Heathcliff set a trap over it, and the old ones dared not come.
希斯克利夫在上面设了个陷阱,老鸟们不敢靠近。 —

I made him promise he’d never shoot a lapwing after that, and he didn’t. Yes, here are more!
我让他保证以后再也不要射杀卷羽鸟了,他答应了。是的,这里还有更多! —

Did he shoot my lapwings, Nelly?
他是不是射杀了我的卷羽鸟,奈莉? —

Are they red, any of them?
它们中间有没有红色的? —

Let me look.”
让我看看。

“Give over with that baby-work!” I interrupted, dragging the pillow away, and turning the holes towards the mattress, for she was removing its contents by handfuls.
别再整那些婴儿的玩意儿了!我打断她,一把抢过枕头,把洞口朝向床垫,因为她一把一把地取出里面的东西。 —

“Lie down and shut your eyes:
躺下闭上眼睛: —

you’re wandering. There’s a mess!
你胡思乱想了。真是一团糟! —

The down is flying about like snow.”
绒毛像雪花一样飞舞。

I went here and there collecting it.
我到处捡拾着。

“I see in you, Nelly,” she continued dreamily, “an aged woman: you have grey hair and bent shoulders.
“我看到你身上,奈莉,”她梦幻般地继续说道,“一个年迈的女人:你有一头灰发和弯曲的肩膀。 —

This bed is the fairy cave under Penistone Crags, and you are gathering elf-bolts to hurt our heifers;
这张床就是佩尼斯顿峭壁下的仙女洞穴,而你正在收集那些用来伤害我们小母牛的精灵箭; —

pretending, while I am near, that they are only locks of wool.
假装,当我在附近时,它们只是些羊毛。 —

That’s what you’ll come to fifty years hence:
那是你五十年后的样子: —

I know you are not so now.
我知道你现在不是这样。 —

I’m not wandering: you’re mistaken, or else I should believe you really were that withered hag, and I should think I was under Penistone Crags;
我并没有漫游:你错了,要不然我会认为你真的是那个干瘪的老婆婆,而我会认为我正处在佩尼斯顿峭壁下; —

and I’m conscious it’s night, and there are two candles on the table making the black press shine like jet.”
而且我明白现在是晚上,桌子上有两支蜡烛,使黑色的抽屉闪闪发光。”

“The black press? where is that?” I asked.
“黑色的抽屉?那在哪儿? —

“You are talking in your sleep!”
”我问道,“你在梦呓!”

“It’s against the wall, as it always is,” she replied.
“它就靠着墙,就像一直以来一样,”她回答道, —

“It does appear odd—I see a face in it!”
“这确实很奇怪——我在里面看到了一张脸!”

“There’s no press in the room, and never was,” said I, resuming my seat, and looping up the curtain that I might watch her.
“房间里没有抽屉,从来没有,”我说着重新坐下,拉起帘子,以便观察她。

“Don’t you see that face?
“你难道没看到那张脸吗? —

” she inquired, gazing earnestly at the mirror.
”她询问道,目不转睛地望着镜子。

And say what I could, I was incapable of making her comprehend it to be her own;
无论我怎么说,她都无法理解那是她自己的脸;所以我站起来, —

so I rose and covered it with a shawl.
用一块披肩盖住了镜子。

“It’s behind there still!” she pursued, anxiously. “And it stirred. Who is it?
“它还在那里!”她焦虑地接着说道,“而且它动了一下。是谁? —

I hope it will not come out when you are gone!
我希望你离开后它不要跑出来!哦! —

Oh! Nelly, the room is haunted!
尼莉,这个房间闹鬼! —

I’m afraid of being alone!”

I took her hand in mine, and bid her be composed;

for a succession of shudders convulsed her frame, and she would keep straining her gaze towards the glass.
我害怕一个人在这里!”

“There’s nobody here!” I insisted.
我握住她的手,告诉她要镇定下来; —

“It was yourself, Mrs. Linton:
因为她的身体连续颤抖着, —

you knew it a while since.”
而她总是不断地望向镜子。

“Myself!” she gasped, “and the clock is striking twelve!
“这里没有人!”我坚持道。“刚才是你自己, —

It’s true, then! that’s dreadful!”
林顿太太:你之前明明知道。”

Her fingers clutched the clothes, and gathered them over her eyes.
“是我自己!”她喘着气说道,“而且时钟正敲打着十二点!那是真的!太可怕了!” —

I attempted to steal to the door with an intention of calling her husband;
她的手指抓住了床单,把它们盖在眼睛上。 —

but I was summoned back by a piercing shriek—the shawl had dropped from the frame.
我试图悄悄走到门口打算叫她的丈夫;

“Why, what is the matter?
“为什么,出了什么事? —

” cried I. “Who is coward now?
”我叫道。“现在谁是胆小鬼了? —

Wake up!
醒醒吧! —

That is the glass—the mirror, Mrs. Linton;
这是玻璃——镜子,林顿夫人; —

and you see yourself in it, and there am I too by your side.”
你可以在其中看到自己,而我也站在你身旁。

Trembling and bewildered, she held me fast, but the horror gradually passed from her countenance;
她颤抖着困惑地紧紧抓住我,但恐惧逐渐从她的脸上消失; —

its paleness gave place to a glow of shame.
苍白被羞愧的红晕所取代。

“Oh, dear! I thought I was at home,” she sighed.
“哦,天啊!我以为我在家里。”她叹了口气。 —

“I thought I was lying in my chamber at Wuthering Heights.
“我以为我躺在吾野垅的房间里。 —

Because I’m weak, my brain got confused, and I screamed unconsciously.
因为我很虚弱,我的大脑混乱了,我无意识地尖叫。 —

Don’t say anything;
什么都别说; —

but stay with me. I dread sleeping: my dreams appal me.”
只是陪着我。我害怕入睡:我的梦吓坏了我。”

“A sound sleep would do you good, ma’am,” I answered:
“一觉好好睡一下,夫人,会对你有好处的, —

“and I hope this suffering will prevent your trying starving again.”
”我回答道:“我希望这种痛苦能阻止你再试图挨饿。”

“Oh, if I were but in my own bed in the old house!
“哦,如果我能在自己的床上,在那个老房子里! —

” she went on bitterly, wringing her hands.
”她痛苦地说着,绞着双手。 —

“And that wind sounding in the firs by the lattice.
“还有那风从百叶窗外的杉树中传来的声音。 —

Do let me feel it—it comes straight down the moor—do let me have one breath!”
让我感受一下吧——它直接吹过荒原——让我呼吸一次!”

To pacify her I held the casement ajar a few seconds.
为了安抚她,我将窗户微微开了几秒钟。 —

A cold blast rushed through; I closed it, and returned to my post.
一阵冷风涌进来,我关上了窗户,回到了我的位置。 —

She lay still now, her face bathed in tears.
她现在躺在那里,面庞被泪水浸湿。体力的疲惫完全压制了她的精神: —

Exhaustion of body had entirely subdued her spirit:
我们那个火爆的凯瑟琳变得像一个哭泣的孩子。 —

our fiery Catherine was no better than a wailing child.
“我关在这里有多久了?”她突然恢复了精神,问道。

“How long is it since I shut myself in here?
“是周一晚上,”我回答说,“现在已经是周四晚上, —

” she asked, suddenly reviving.
或者说是现在是周五凌晨。”

“It was Monday evening,” I replied, “and this is Thursday night, or rather Friday morning, at present.”
“什么!只有这么短的时间?”她惊呼道。

“What! of the same week?
“足够让我靠冷水和坏脾气度过的长时间, —

” she exclaimed. “Only that brief time?”
”我观察到。

“Long enough to live on nothing but cold water and ill-temper, ” observed I.
“嗯,看起来是漫长而无聊的几个小时,”她犹豫地嘀咕道,“一定比这更长。”

“Well, it seems a weary number of hours, ” she muttered doubtfully:
我记得他们吵架后我在客厅,埃德加非常刺激人, —

“it must be more.
我绝望地跑进了这个房间。 —

I remember being in the parlour after they had quarrelled, and Edgar being cruelly provoking, and me running into this room desperate.
我一关上门,就被一片黑暗所吞没,摔倒在地上。 —

As soon as ever I had barred the door, utter blackness overwhelmed me, and I fell on the floor.
“就在现在,埃德加非常刺激我,我绝望地跑进了这个房间。” —

I couldn’t explain to Edgar how certain I felt of having a fit, or going raging mad, if he persisted in teasing me!
我无法向埃德加解释我有多么确定自己要发作,或者要发疯,如果他继续取笑我! —

I had no command of tongue, or brain, and he did not guess my agony, perhaps:
我无法控制舌头和大脑,他也无法猜到我所经历的痛苦: —

it barely left me sense to try to escape from him and his voice.
这几乎使我失去了感觉,只剩下试图逃离他和他的声音。 —

Before I recovered sufficiently to see and hear, it began to be dawn, and, Nelly, I’ll tell you what I thought, and what has kept recurring and recurring till I feared for my reason.
在我足够恢复过来能够看见和听见之前,天开始亮了,娜丽,我告诉你我在想什么,一直反复出现直到我担心自己的理智。 —

I thought as I lay there, with my head against that table leg, and my eyes dimly discerning the grey square of the window, that I was enclosed in the oak-panelled bed at home;
当我躺在那里,头靠在桌子腿上,模糊地看到窗户的灰色方块时,我以为自己被困在家里的镶木板床里; —

and my heart ached with some great grief which, just waking, I could not recollect.
我的心因为某种无法回忆起的巨大悲痛而痛苦。 —

I pondered, and worried myself to discover what it could be, and, most strangely, the whole last seven years of my life grew a blank!
我思考着,苦恼着试图发现那到底是什么,最奇怪的是,我过去七年的生活变成了一片空白! —

I did not recall that they had been at all. I was a child;
我没有记得他们曾经在那里。当时我还只是个孩子; —

my father was just buried, and my misery arose from the separation that Hindley had ordered between me and Heathcliff.
我父亲刚刚埋葬,我与希斯克利夫之间因欣德利的分离命令而产生了痛苦。 —

I was laid alone, for the first time; and, rousing from a dismal doze after a night of weeping, I lifted my hand to push the panels aside:
我第一次独自躺着,醒过来后,我伸手推开门板: —

it struck the table-top! I swept it along the carpet, and then memory burst in:
它撞到了桌面!我把它在地毯上扫过,然后记忆突然涌入: —

my late anguish was swallowed in a paroxysm of despair.
我最近的痛苦在绝望的痉挛中消失了。 —

I cannot say why I felt so wildly wretched:
我不知道为什么会感到如此痛苦: —

it must have been temporary derangement;
这必定是暂时的错乱; —

for there is scarcely cause.
几乎没有原因。 —

But, supposing at twelve years old I had been wrenched from the Heights, and every early association, and my all in all, as Heathcliff was at that time, and been converted at a stroke into Mrs. Linton, the lady of Thrushcross Grange, and the wife of a stranger:
但是,假设在我十二岁的时候,我被从高地上拽下来,被从我所有的地方和所有的一切中隔离开来,就像当时的希斯克利夫一样,并且一下子变成了林顿太太,成了卧龙栖木荒庄的女主人和一个陌生人的妻子: —

an exile, and outcast, thenceforth, from what had been my world.
从那时起,成了一个流亡者、被抛弃者,不再是我曾经的世界。 —

You may fancy a glimpse of the abyss where I grovelled!
你可以想象一瞥我所苦苦挣扎着的深渊! —

Shake your head as you will, Nelly, you have helped to unsettle me!
纳利,无论你怎样摇头,你真的让我心神不宁! —

You should have spoken to Edgar, indeed you should, and compelled him to leave me quiet! Oh, I’m burning! I wish I were out of doors!
你本应该和埃德加说话的,确实是应该的,强迫他让我安宁!哦,我燃烧了!我希望我能在户外! —

I wish I were a girl again, half savage and hardy, and free;
我希望我再次成为一个女孩,半野蛮而坚强、自由自在的女孩, —

and laughing at injuries, not maddening under them!
嘲笑伤害,而不是在其中变得疯狂! —

Why am I so changed?
我为什么变得如此改变? —

why does my blood rush into a hell of tumult at a few words?
为什么几句话就让我的血涌入一片动荡的地狱? —

I’m sure I should be myself were I once among the heather on those hills.
我确定如果我再一次身处那些山上的石楠花丛中,我会变回我自己。 —

Open the window again wide: fasten it open!
再次把窗户打开,打开它!快, —

Quick, why don’t you move?”
为什么你不动呢?

“Because I won’t give you your death of cold, ” I answered.
“因为我不想让你冻死。”我回答道。

“You won’t give me a chance of life, you mean, ” she said sullenly. “However, I’m not helpless yet; I’ll open it myself.”
“你的意思是不给我生存的机会”,她愠怒地说道。“无论如何,我还没有无助;我自己会打开的。”

And sliding from the bed before I could hinder her, she crossed the room, walking very uncertainly, threw it back, and bent out, careless of the frosty air that cut about her shoulders as keen as a knife.
在我还来不及阻止她之前,她从床上滑下来,走得很不稳定,打开了窗户,毫不在乎刺骨的冷风在她的肩上刻如刀割。 —

I entreated, and finally attempted to force her to retire.
我恳求她离开,最后试图强迫她退去。但我很快发现, —

But I soon found her delirious strength much surpassed mine (she was delirious, I became convinced by her subsequent actions and ravings).
她的狂乱力量远远超过了我的(她当时是发狂的,我通过她后来的行动和胡言乱语确信了这一点)。 —

There was no moon, and everything beneath lay in misty darkness:
没有月亮,一切都笼罩在朦胧的黑暗中: —

not a light gleamed from any house, far or near;
远近的房屋都没有一丝灯光闪烁; —

all had been extinguished long ago:
所有的灯火早已熄灭: —

and those at Wuthering Heights were never visible—still she asserted she caught their shining.
而在呼啸山庄,从来看不见任何闪耀——可她却坚称她看到了它们的光亮。

“Look!” she cried eagerly, “that’s my room with the candle in it, and the trees swaying before it;
“看!”她兴奋地喊道,“那是我的房间,里面有蜡烛,树木在它前面摇曳; —

and the other candle is in Joseph’s garret.
另一支蜡烛是在约瑟夫的阁楼上。 —

Joseph sits up late, doesn’t he?
约瑟夫经常熬夜,对吧? —

He’s waiting till I come home that he may lock the gate.
他一直在等我回家,这样他就可以锁上大门。 —

Well, he’ll wait a while yet. It’s a rough journey, and a sad heart to travel it;
好吧,他还得等一会儿。这是一段崎岖的旅程,需要一个悲伤的心来走; —

and we must pass by Gimmerton Kirk to go that journey!
我们必须经过吉默顿教堂去那个地方! —

We’ve braved its ghosts often together, and dared each other to stand among the graves and ask them to come.
我们经常一起勇闯那些幽灵,并互相挑衅站在坟墓间,请求它们过来。 —

But, Heathcliff, if I dare you now, will you venture?
但是,希斯克利夫,如果我挑战你,你会冒险吗? —

If you do, I’ll keep you.
如果你愿意,我会留着你。 —

I’ll not lie there by myself:
我不会一个人躺在那里。 —

they may bury me twelve feet deep, and throw the church down over me, but I won’t rest till you are with me.
他们可能把我埋葬12英尺深,把教堂倒在我身上,但是在你和我在一起之前,我不会安息的。 —

I never will!”
我永远都不会!

She paused, and resumed with a strange smile.
她停顿了一下,带着奇怪的微笑继续说道: —

“He’s considering—he’d rather I’d come to him!
“他在考虑——他宁愿我去找他! —

Find a way, then! not through that kirkyard.
找一条路,不要穿过那个教堂墓地。 —

You are slow! Be content, you always followed me!”
你真慢!满足吧,你总是跟着我!

Perceiving it vain to argue against her insanity, I was planning how I could reach something to wrap about her, without quitting my hold of herself (for I could not trust her alone by the gaping lattice), when, to my consternation, I heard the rattle of the door-handle, and Mr. Linton entered.
察觉到与她的疯狂争论无济于事,我正在计划如何在不放开她的情况下找到一些东西包裹她(因为我不能让她一个人靠近那个洞开着的窗),就在我惊恐不安时,我听到门把手格格作响,林顿先生走了进来。 —

He had only then come from the library; and, in passing through the lobby, had noticed our talking and been attracted by curiosity, or fear, to examine what it signified, at that late hour.
他当时刚从图书馆出来,在穿过大厅时注意到我们在谈话,并因好奇或害怕而被吸引,想看看它在这么晚意味着什么。

“Oh, sir!” I cried, checking the exclamation risen to his lips at the sight which met him, and the bleak atmosphere of the chamber.
“哦,先生!”我大声喊道,看到他嘴唇上突然涌起的惊愕,以及房间里冷飕飕的氛围。 —

“My poor mistress is ill, and she quite masters me:
“我的可怜女主人生病了,她完全掌控着我: —

I cannot manage her at all;
我无法控制她; —

pray, come and persuade her to go to bed. Forget your anger, for she’s hard to guide any way but her own.”
请你过来说服她上床休息。暂时忘记你的愤怒,因为她很难按照别人的方式行事。”

“Catherine ill?” he said, hastening to us.
“凯瑟琳生病了?”他急忙走向我们。 —

“Shut the window, Ellen!
“埃伦,关上窗户!凯瑟琳! —

Catherine! why—”
为什么——”

He was silent. The haggardness of Mrs. Linton’s appearance smote him speechless, and he could only glance from her to me in horrified astonishment.
他沉默了。林顿夫人苍白的面容让他惊讶得无法开口,他只能惊恐地从她看向我。

“She’s been fretting here,” I continued, “and eating scarcely anything, and never complaining:
“她一直在这里烦恼,”我继续说,“几乎什么都不吃,也从未抱怨过: —

she would admit none of us till this evening, and so we couldn’t inform you of her state, as we were not aware of it ourselves; but it is nothing.”
直到今晚我们才被她接纳,所以我们之前不知道她的状况,无法通知您;但没什么大问题。”

I felt I uttered my explanations awkwardly;
我感觉自己解释得很笨拙;主人皱起了眉。 —

the master frowned. “It is nothing, is it, Ellen Dean?” he said sternly.
“没什么问题,对吧,埃伦·迪恩?”他严厉地说道。 —

“You shall account more clearly for keeping me ignorant of this!
“你应该为使我对此蒙在鼓里负责任明确一些! —

” And he took his wife in his arms, and looked at her with anguish.
“他将妻子拥入怀中,满怀痛苦地望着她。

At first she gave him no glance of recognition:
起初,她没有对他投以任何辨认的目光: —

he was invisible to her abstracted gaze.
他对她心神不守, —

The delirium was not fixed, however;
仿佛无形。 —

having weaned her eyes from contemplating the outer darkness, by degrees she centred her attention on him, and discovered who it was that held her.
然而,她的发狂并未定格下来;

“Ah! you are come, are you, Edgar Linton?
她渐渐将目光从注视着外面黑暗的景象上移开, —

” she said, with angry animation.
集中在他身上,才发现抱着她的人是谁。 —

“You are one of those things that are ever found when least wanted, and when you are wanted, never!
“啊!你终于来了,Edgar Linton?”她愤怒而活泼地说道。 —

I suppose we shall have plenty of lamentations now—I see we shall—but they can’t keep me from my narrow home out yonder:
“你就像那些无论什么时候都能找到的东西,可当你真的需要的时候,却永远不在! —

my resting-place, where I’m bound before spring is over!
我想现在我们将会有很多悲痛的呼哭了—I see我们肯定会有—但是他们不能阻挡我去外边的寂静家园: —

There it is:

not among the Lintons, mind, under the chapel-roof, but in the open air, with a head-stone;
我的归所,在春天过去之前,我必须回来!它就在那里: —

and you may please yourself whether you go to them or come to me!”
不在Lintons中,请注意,而是在教堂屋顶下,而是在户外,有一个立着的墓碑;

“Catherine, what have you done?” commenced the master.
“凯瑟琳,你做了什么?”主人开始说。“对你来说, —

“Am I nothing to you any more?
我已经不再重要了吗? —

Do you love that wretch Heath—”
你爱上了那个恶棍希斯——”

“Hush!” cried Mrs. Linton. “Hush, this moment!
“嘘!”林顿太太喊道。“立刻住嘴! —

You mention that name and I end the matter instantly by a spring from the window!
你再提那个名字,我就跳出窗外了!” —

What you touch at present you may have;
“你现在能够拥有你所触及的一切; —

but my soul will be on that hill-top before you lay hands on me again.
但在你再次碰我之前,我的灵魂将在那座山丘上。 —

I don’t want you, Edgar:
我不需要你了,埃德加。 —

I’m past wanting you. Return to your books.
我对你不再有所期望。回到你的书本里去吧。 —

I’m glad you possess a consolation, for all you had in me is gone.”
我为你找到了安慰,因为在我身上你所拥有的一切已经消失。”

“Her mind wanders, sir,” I interposed.
“她的心智已经失常,先生,”我插话说。 —

“She has been talking nonsense the whole evening;
“整个晚上她一直在胡说八道; —

but let her have quiet, and proper attendance, and she’ll rally.
但只要给她安静和适当的照料,她会好起来的。 —

Hereafter, we must be cautious how we vex her.”
以后我们必须小心不要惹她生气。”

“I desire no further advice from you, ” answered Mr. Linton. “You knew your mistress’s nature, and you encouraged me to harass her.
“我不需要你再给我建议了,”林顿先生回答说。“你了解你的女主人的本性,你鼓励我去困扰她。 —

And not to give me one hint of how she has been these three days!
而你却一点都不提她这三天来的情况! —

It was heartless!
真是没心肝! —

Months of sickness could not cause such a change!”
数月的疾病不可能引起这样的变化!

I began to defend myself, thinking it too bad to be blamed for another’s wicked waywardness.
我开始为自己辩护,认为被怪罪于别人的恶性任性太不公平了。 —

“I knew Mrs. Linton’s nature to be headstrong and domineering, ” cried I: “but I didn’t know that you wished to foster her fierce temper!
“我知道林顿夫人的性格倔强而专横,”我喊道:“但我不知道您想要纵容她的凶狠脾气! —

I didn’t know that, to humour her, I should wink at Mr. Heathcliff.
我不知道为了迎合她,我应该对希斯克利夫眨眼。 —

I performed the duty of a faithful servant in telling you, and I have got a faithful servant’s wages!
我做了一个忠实仆人的责任,告诉了您,而我得到了一个忠实仆人应得的报酬! —

Well, it will teach me to be careful next time.
嗯,下次我会小心的。 —

Next time you may gather intelligence for yourself!”
下次你可以自己收集情报!”

“The next time you bring a tale to me you shall quit my service, Ellen Dean,” he replied.
“下次你把一个故事带给我,你就必须离开我的服务,埃伦·迪恩,”他回答道。

“You’d rather hear nothing about it, I suppose, then, Mr. Linton?
“那么,你大概不想听任何关于它的事情了,林顿先生? —

” said I. “Heathcliff has your permission to come a-courting to Miss, and to drop in at every opportunity your absence offers, on purpose to poison the mistress against you?”
“是的,”我说。“希斯克利夫有您的允许来追求小姐,并在每个你不在的机会下蹭饭,专门来中伤您的妻子?”

Confused as Catherine was, her wits were alert at applying our conversation.
虽然凯瑟琳感到困惑,但她的机智在对我们的对话上保持了警觉。

“Ah! Nelly has played traitor,” she exclaimed, passionately. “Nelly is my hidden enemy.
“啊!奈莉变成了叛徒,”她激动地喊道,” 奈莉是我隐藏的敌人。你个巫婆! —

You witch!

So you do seek elf-bolts to hurt us!
“所以你是在寻找用来伤害我们的精灵箭? —

Let me go, and I’ll make her rue!
放开我,我会让她后悔! —

I’ll make her howl a recantation!”
“我会让她怎么哀嚎陈述的!”

A maniac’s fury kindled under her brows;
狂人一样的愤怒在她的眉间燃起, —

she struggled desperately to disengage herself from Linton’s arms.
她拼命挣脱林顿的怀抱。 —

I felt no inclination to tarry the event; and, resolving to seek medical aid on my own responsibility, I quitted the chamber.
我毫不犹豫地决定离开这个房间自己去寻求医疗救助。

In passing the garden to reach the road, at a place where a bridle hook is driven into the wall, I saw something white moved irregularly, evidently by another agent than the wind.
在穿过花园到达路边的时候,在一处墙上插着一个缰绳钩的地方,我看到有一些白色的东西在不规则地移动,显然不是被风所致。 —

Notwithstanding my hurry, I stayed to examine it, lest ever after I should have the conviction impressed on my imagination that it was a creature of the other world.
尽管我很匆忙,但我停下来仔细观察,以免以后我会一直相信这是另一个世界的生物。 —

My surprise and perplexity were great on discovering, by touch more than vision, Miss Isabella’s springer, Fanny, suspended by a handkerchief, and nearly at its last gasp.
当我发现伊莎贝拉小姐的跳猎犬范妮被一个手帕所吊着并且濒临死亡时,我感到非常惊讶和困惑。 —

I quickly released the animal, and lifted it into the garden.
我迅速放开动物,并将它抬到花园里。 —

I had seen it follow its mistress upstairs when she went to bed;
我曾看到它跟着主人上楼去睡觉; —

and wondered much how it could have got out there, and what mischievous person had treated it so.
我非常想知道它是怎么跑到那里的,以及是谁对它做了这样的恶作剧。 —

While untying the knot round the hook, it seemed to me that I repeatedly caught the beat of horses’ feet galloping at some distance;
当我解开挂钩上的结时,似乎我反复听到马蹄声在远处奔驰; —

but there were such a number of things to occupy my reflections that I hardly gave the circumstance a thought:
但是有那么多事情让我思考,我几乎没有在意这个情况; —

though it was a strange sound, in that place, at two o’clock in the morning.
虽然在凌晨两点钟,这是一个奇怪的声音在那个地方。

Mr. Kenneth was fortunately just issuing from his house to see a patient in the village as I came up the street;
幸运的是,当我走在街上时,肯尼斯先生刚好从他的房子出来去村里看一个病人; —

and my account of Catherine Linton’s malady induced him to accompany me back immediately.
我对凯瑟琳·林顿的病情给他讲述后,他立刻陪我回去。 —

He was a plain rough man;
他是一个直率粗犷的人; —

and he made no scruple to speak his doubts of her surviving this second attack;
他毫不犹豫地表示对她能否在第二次袭击中幸存下来的怀疑; —

unless she were more submissive to his directions than she had shown herself before.
除非她在他的指导下更加顺从,否则他不会手软。

“Nelly Dean,” said he, “I can’t help fancying there’s an extra cause for this.
“尼莉·迪恩,”他说,“我禁不住想,这次发生的原因肯定更多。 —

What has there been to do at the Grange?
在庄园里发生了什么事? —

We’ve odd reports up here. A stout, hearty lass like Catherine does not fall ill for a trifle;
我们这里有些奇怪的传闻。像凯瑟琳这样强壮、健康的女孩不会为了小事生病; —

and that sort of people should not either.
而这种人也不应该。 —

It’s hard work bringing them through fevers, and such things. How did it begin?”
让她们度过发烧和其他疾病可是很辛苦的。这是怎么开始的?”

“The master will inform you,” I answered;
“主人会告诉你的,”我回答, —

“but you are acquainted with the Earnshaws’ violent dispositions, and Mrs. Linton caps them all.
“但你熟悉欧肯肖一家的凶暴脾性,而林顿夫人则更甚。 —

I may say this; it commenced in a quarrel.
我可以这样说;它起因于一次争吵。 —

She was struck during a tempest of passion with a kind of fit.
在愤怒的风暴中,她受到了一种发作的打击。 —

That’s her account, at least:
至少这是她的说法: —

for she flew off in the height of it, and locked herself up.
因为她在风暴的高潮中突然发狂,并将自己锁在房里。 —

Afterwards, she refused to eat, and now she alternately raves and remains in a half dream;
之后,她拒绝进食,现在她时而狂言乱语,时而半梦半醒。 —

knowing those about her, but having her mind filled with all sorts of strange ideas and illusions.”
知道那些关于她的事情,但她的头脑里充满了各种奇怪的想法和幻觉。

“Mr. Linton will be sorry?
“林顿先生会伤心吗? —

” observed Kenneth, interrogatively.
”肯尼斯疑惑地问道。

“Sorry? he’ll break his heart should anything happen!
“伤心?如果发生了什么事,他会伤透心的! —

” I replied. “Don’t alarm him more than necessary.”
”我回答道。“不要给他造成过多的担忧。”

“Well, I told him to beware,” said my companion;
“嗯,我告诉过他要小心,”我的同伴说道。 —

“and he must bide the consequences of neglecting my warning!
“他必须承担忽略我的警告带来的后果!” —

Hasn’t he been intimate with Mr. Heathcliff lately?”
他最近和希斯克利夫先生交往密切吗?

“Heathcliff frequently visits at the Grange, ” answered I, “though more on the strength of the mistress having known him when a boy, than because the master likes his company.
“希斯克利夫经常去庄园拜访,”我回答道,“尽管更多是因为女主人小时候认识他,而不是因为男主人喜欢和他在一起。” —

At present he’s discharged from the trouble of calling;
目前他不再需要打电话过去了。 —

owing to some presumptuous aspirations after Miss Linton which he manifested.
因为他对林顿小姐有一些冒失的追求。 —

I hardly think he’ll be taken in again.”
我几乎不认为他会再次上当受骗。

“And does Miss Linton turn a cold shoulder on him?” was the doctor’s next question.
“那林顿小姐对他不理不睬吗?”医生的下一个问题是。

“I’m not in her confidence,” returned I, reluctant to continue the subject.
“我不知道她的内情,”我回答道,不愿继续这个话题。

“No, she’s a sly one,” he remarked, shaking his head.
“不,她是个狡猾的人,”他摇了摇头说。 —

“She keeps her own counsel!
“她保守秘密! —

But she’s a real little fool.
但她真是个小傻瓜。 —

I have it from good authority that last night (and a pretty night it was!
我从可靠的消息来源那里得知,昨晚(真是一个美好的夜晚! —

) she and Heathcliff were walking in the plantation at the back of your house above two hours;
)她和希斯克利夫在你家后面的种植园里走了两个多小时; —

and he pressed her not to go in again, but just mount his horse and away with him!
并且他极力劝她不要再回去,而是要和他一起骑上他的马走! —

My informant said she could only put him off by pledging her word of honour to be prepared on their first meeting after that:
我的消息来源说,她只能通过诺言在第一次见面后做好准备才能暂时拒绝他: —

when it was to be he didn’t hear;
具体是什么时候他没有听到; —

but you urge Mr. Linton to look sharp!”
但你要敦促林顿先生要快点!”

This news filled me with fresh fears; I outstripped Kenneth, and ran most of the way back.
这个消息让我充满了新的恐惧; 我超过了肯尼斯,一路奔跑回去。 —

The little dog was yelping in the garden yet.
小狗还在花园里尖叫着。 —

I spared a minute to open the gate for it, but instead of going to the house door, it coursed up and down snuffing the grass, and would have escaped to the road, had I not seized it and conveyed it in with me.
我花了一分钟为它开门,但它没有走向房门,而是在草地上腻了腻,如果我没有抓住它并带进我家,它可能逃到路上去了。 —

On ascending to Isabella’s room, my suspicions were confirmed:
当我上到伊莎贝拉的房间时,我的怀疑得到了证实: —

it was empty.
房间是空的。 —

Had I been a few hours sooner Mrs. Linton’s illness might have arrested her rash step.
如果我早几个小时的话,林顿太太的病情可能会阻止她冒险行动。 —

But what could be done now?
但现在还能做什么呢? —

There was a bare possibility of overtaking them if pursued instantly.
如果立即追赶的话,还有很小的可能赶上他们。 —

I could not pursue them, however;
然而我不能追赶他们; —

and I dared not rouse the family, and fill the place with confusion;
我不能惊动家人,让整个地方变得混乱; —

still less unfold the business to my master, absorbed as he was in his present calamity, and having no heart to spare for a second grief!
更不用说向我的主人透露这个事情了,他正沉浸在现在的灾难中,没有多余的心思去承受第二次的悲伤! —

I saw nothing for it but to hold my tongue, and suffer matters to take their course;
我看到唯一的办法就是保持沉默,让事情自己发展; —

and Kenneth being arrived, I went with a badly composed countenance to announce him.
肯尼斯已经到了,我带着一个心烦意乱的表情去通知他。 —

Catherine lay in a troubled sleep:
凯瑟琳正在苦闷的睡眠中: —

her husband had succeeded in soothing the excess of frenzy;
她丈夫成功地平息了她的狂怒, —

he now hung over her pillow, watching every shade and every change of her painfully expressive features.
现在他低头看着她的枕头,观察着她痛苦表情的每一个细微变化。

The doctor, on examining the case for himself, spoke hopefully to him of its having a favourable termination, if we could only preserve around her perfect and constant tranquillity.
医生亲自检查了病例后,满怀希望地对他说,只要能让她保持完美而持久的宁静,病情将会有良好的发展。 —

To me, he signified the threatening danger was not so much death, as permanent alienation of intellect.
医生告诉我,威胁并不是死亡,而是智力的永久性失去。

I did not close my eyes that night, nor did Mr. Linton: indeed, we never went to bed;
那晚我没有闭上眼睛,连林顿先生也是如此,实际上我们都没有上床睡觉。 —

and the servants were all up long before the usual hour, moving through the house with stealthy tread, and exchanging whispers as they encountered each other in their vocations.
仆人们都在平常时间很久之前就起了床,踮着脚尖在房子里走动,互相遇到时也会低声交谈。 —

Every one was active but Miss Isabella;
每个人都很忙碌,只有伊莎贝拉没有动静; —

and they began to remark how sound she slept:
他们开始注意到她睡得多么熟。 —

her brother, too, asked if she had risen, and seemed impatient for her presence, and hurt that she showed so little anxiety for her sister-in-law.
她的兄弟也问她是否起床了,似乎对她缺乏对嫂子的关心而感到不悦。 —

I trembled lest he should send me to call her;
我担心他会叫我去叫她, —

but I was spared the pain of being the first proclaimant of her flight.
但我幸免于成为她逃走的第一个告知人。 —

One of the maids, a thoughtless girl, who had been on an early errand to Gimmerton, came panting upstairs, open-mouthed, and dashed into the chamber, crying:
一个糊涂的女仆,在早上去吉默顿办事时气喘吁吁地爬上楼梯,张大嘴巴冲进房间,大声喊道: —

“Oh, dear, dear! What mun we have next?
“哦,亲爱的,亲爱的!我们接下来要遇到什么事情? —

Master, master, our young lady—”
主人,主人,我们的小姐——”

“Hold your noise!” cried I hastily, enraged at her clamorous manner.
“闭嘴!”我生气地急忙喊道。

“Speak lower, Mary—What is the matter?
“小声点,玛丽 - 发生了什么事? —

” said Mr. Linton. “What ails your young lady?”
”林顿先生问道。“你的小姐怎么了?”

“She’s gone, she’s gone!
“她走了,她走了! —

Yon’ Heathcliff’s run off wi’ her!
那个希斯克利夫带她跑了! —

” gasped the girl.
”女孩喘着气说道。

“That is not true!” exclaimed Linton, rising in agitation. “It cannot be:
“不可能!”林顿惊慌地站起来说。“这不是真的: —

how has the idea entered your head?
你怎么会有这种想法? —

Ellen Dean, go and seek her.
埃伦·迪恩,去找她。 —

It is incredible: it cannot be.”
这难以置信:不可能。”

As he spoke he took the servant to the door, and then repeated his demand to know her reasons for such an assertion.
他说着把女仆带到门口,然后再次要求她解释为什么会有这种说法。

“Why, I met on the road a lad that fetches milk here, ” she stammered, “and he asked whether we weren’t in trouble at the Grange.
“为什么,我在路上遇到一个送牛奶来这里的小伙子,”她结结巴巴地说,“他问我们在格兰治庄园是否有麻烦。” —

I thought he meant for missis’s sickness, so I answered, yes. Then says he, ‘There’s somebody gone after ’em, I guess?’ I stared.
我以为他是指为了太太的病,所以我回答了“是”。接着他说:“有人跟在他们后面,我猜是吧?”我瞪大了眼睛。 —

He saw I knew nought about it, and he told how a gentleman and lady had stopped to have a horse’s shoe fastened at a blacksmith’s shop, two miles out of Gimmerton, not very long after midnight!
他看出我对此一无所知,于是他讲述了一位绅士和一位女士在午夜过后不久,在金密顿外的一个铁匠铺停下来修一只马蹄铁的事情。 —

and how the blacksmith’s lass had got up to spy who they were:
以及铁匠的女孩如何站起来偷窥他们是谁: —

she knew them both directly.
她立刻就认出了他们两个。 —

And she noticed the man—Heathcliff it was, she felt certain:
她注意到了那个男人——就是希斯克利夫,她敢肯定:没有人会把他认错,此外——他给了她父亲一枚英镑作为付款。那位女士的脸上蒙着一件斗篷; —

nob’dy could mistake him, besides—put a sovereign in her father’s hand for payment.
但在她喝水时她放松了, —

The lady had a cloak about her face;
她看得很清楚。 —

but having desired a sup of water, while she drank it fell back, and she saw her very plain.
希斯克利夫一边骑马,一边牵着两匹马,他们背向着村庄朝前走,以路况所允许的最快速度前进。 —

Heathcliff held both bridles as they rode on, and they set their faces from the village, and went as fast as the rough roads would let them.
这个女孩对她父亲什么都没说,但今天早上她把这件事告诉了整个金密顿。 —

The lass said nothing to her father, but she told it all over Gimmerton this morning.”

I ran and peeped, for form’s sake, into Isabella’s room;
我跑过去偷偷瞄了一眼, —

confirming, when I returned, the servant’s statement.
为了形式上的缘故,确认了仆人的话。 —

Mr. Linton had resumed his seat by the bed;
林顿先生重新坐回了床边, —

on my re-entrance, he raised his eyes, read the meaning of my blank aspect, and dropped them without giving an order, or uttering a word.
在我进来的时候,他抬起眼睛,看出了我茫然的表情,没有下令或者说一句话就把眼睛放下了。

“Are we to try any measures for overtaking and bringing her back, ” I inquired. “How should we do?”
“我们要采取措施追赶她并把她带回来吗?”我问道。“我们该怎么办?”

“She went of her own accord,” answered the master;
“她是自愿离开的,”主人回答道。 —

“she had a right to go if she pleased.
“她愿意走就走了。 —

Trouble me no more about her.
别再给我添麻烦了。 —

Hereafter she is only my sister in name:
以后她只是我名义上的妹妹, —

not because I disown her, but because she has disowned me.”
不是因为我不承认她,而是因为她不承认我。”

And that was all he said on the subject:
至于这件事,他就只说了这些, —

he did not make a single inquiry further, or mention her in any way, except directing me to send what property she had in the house to her fresh home, wherever it was, when I knew it.
之后再没有进一步的询问,也没有以任何方式提起她,除了让我把她在房子里的财产送到她的新家,无论那在哪儿,只要我知道就行。