Yesterday was bright, calm, and frosty.
昨天是一个明亮、宁静且寒冷的日子。 —

I went to the Heights as I proposed:
如我所提议,我去了海斯特庄园。 —

my housekeeper entreated me to bear a little note from her to her young lady, and I did not refuse, for the worthy woman was not conscious of anything odd in her request.
我的女佣衷心请求我替她带封小纸条给她的小姐,我没有拒绝,因为这位值得尊敬的女士并不认为这个请求有什么奇怪之处。 —

The front door stood open, but the jealous gate was fastened, as at my last visit;
前门敞开着,但是那道小心的大门却紧锁着,和上次我来时一样; —

I knocked and invoked Earnshaw from among the garden-beds;
我敲门并喊出恩舍先生的名字,他从花园的花坛中走过来。 —

he unchained it, and I entered.
他解开了门闩,我进去了。 —

The fellow is as handsome a rustic as need be seen.
这个伙计是一个标准的英俊农村人。 —

I took particular notice of him this time;
这次我特别留意了他;但与此同时, —

but then he does his best apparently to make the least of his advantages.
他似乎尽力避免过份利用自己的优点。

I asked if Mr. Heathcliff were at home? He answered, No; but he would be in at dinner-time.
我问他希斯克利夫先生在不在家?他回答说不在,但会在晚饭时间回来。 —

It was eleven o’clock, and I announced my intention of going in and waiting for him;
那时已经是十一点了,我宣布了我打算进去等他的意图; —

at which he immediately flung down his tools and accompanied me, in the office of watchdog, not as a substitute for the host.
他立刻放下手中的工具,跟着我进去,充当起了看门狗的角色,而非主人的替代品。

We entered together; Catherine was there, making herself useful in preparing some vegetables for the approaching meal;
我们一起进入了房间;凯瑟琳正在那里,为即将到来的餐食准备一些蔬菜; —

she looked more sulky and less spirited than when I had seen her first.
她看起来比我第一次见她时更为阴郁,精神也不如之前那么昂扬。 —

She hardly raised her eyes to notice me, and continued her employment with the same disregard to common forms of politeness as before;
她几乎没有抬头注意到我,继续做着她的工作,对常规的礼貌形式一概不理会; —

never returning my bow and good-morning by the slightest acknowledgment.
甚至连最微小的回应,都没有回答我鞠躬和早上好的问候。

“She does not seem so amiable,” I thought, “as Mrs. Dean would persuade me to believe.
“她似乎并不像迪恩夫人所说的那样和蔼可亲,”我想道, —

She’s a beauty, it is true;
“她的确很美, —

but not an angel.”
但不是天使。”

Earnshaw surlily bid her remove her things to the kitchen.
阿恩肖尔粗暴地命令她把东西移到厨房。“你自己动手吧,”她说着, —

“Remove them yourself,” she said, pushing them from her as soon as she had done;
一旦完成就把东西推开,然后退到窗边的凳子上,在她的膝盖上用萝卜皮雕刻出鸟和兽的形象。 —

and retiring to a stool by the window, where she began to carve figures of birds and beasts out of the turnip-parings in her lap.
我走近她,假装想要看看花园; —

I approached her, pretending to desire a view of the garden;
我走近她,假装想要看看花园; —

and, as I fancied, adroitly dropped Mrs. Dean’s note on to her knee, unnoticed by Hareton—but she asked aloud, “What is that?” And chucked it off.
同样也像我所想的那样,我巧妙地把迪安夫人的便笺放在她膝盖上,没有哈里顿注意到,但她大声问道:“那是什么?”然后把它扔掉了。

“A letter from your old acquaintance, the housekeeper at the Grange, ” I answered;
“这是你在格兰奇的老熟人,那个女管家写的信”,我回答道; —

annoyed at her exposing my kind deed, and fearful lest it should be imagined a missive of my own.
她暴露了我的善意行为,我感到恼火,担心别人以为这是我自己写的信。 —

She would gladly have gathered it up at this information, but Hareton beat her;
这个消息让她很想捡起来,但是哈里顿抢先了; —

he seized and put it in his waistcoat, saying Mr. Heathcliff should look at it first.
他抓住它放进背心口袋里,说应该让希思克里夫先看看。 —

Thereat, Catherine silently turned her face from us, and, very stealthily, drew out her pocket-handkerchief and applied it to her eyes;
卡瑟琳默默地把脸从我们身上转开,很隐秘地拿出手帕擦了擦眼睛; —

and her cousin, after struggling awhile to keep down his softer feelings, pulled out the letter and flung it on the floor beside her, as ungraciously as he could.
她的堂兄在挣扎着压制着自己柔软的情感,拿出信并不礼貌地扔在她旁边的地板上。 —

Catherine caught and perused it eagerly;
卡瑟琳急切地接过信并仔细阅读了一遍; —

then she put a few questions to me concerning the inmates, rational and irrational, of her former home;
然后她向我提了几个问题,询问她以前家里的合理和非合理的居民。 —

and gazing towards the hills, murmured in soliloquy:
目光望向山丘,自言自语道:

“I should like to be riding Minny down there!
“我想骑着明妮下去! —

I should like to be climbing up there! Oh!
我想爬上那里!哦! —

I’m tired—I’m stalled, Hareton!
我累了 - 我被困住了,哈雷顿! —

” And she leant her pretty head back against the sill, with half a yawn and half a sigh, and lapsed into an aspect of abstracted sadness:
”她将可爱的头仰靠在窗台上,半张着嘴打着哈欠,半叹了口气,渐渐陷入一种忧伤的思绪: —

neither caring nor knowing whether we remarked her.
不管我们是否注意到她,她既不在意也不知晓。

“Mrs. Heathcliff,” I said, after sitting some time mute, “you are not aware that I am an acquaintance of yours?
“希斯克利夫夫人,”我坐了一会儿静默后说,“你并不知道我是你的熟人吗? —

so intimate that I think it strange you won’t come and speak to me.
我们的交情非常密切,以至于我觉得你不来和我交谈很奇怪。 —

My housekeeper never wearies of talking about and praising you;
我的管家对谈论和赞美你永不厌倦; —

and she’ll be greatly disappointed if I return with no news of or from you, except that you received her letter and said nothing!”
如果我带着你的消息或信件除了你收到她的信并没有回应以外,她会非常失望的!”

She appeared to wonder at this speech, and asked,—
她似乎对这番话感到惊讶,并问道,

“Does Ellen like you?”
“埃琳喜欢你吗?”

“Yes, very well,” I replied, hesitatingly.
“是的,很喜欢,”我迟疑地回答。

“You must tell her,” she continued, “that I would answer her letter, but I have no materials for writing:
“你必须告诉她,”她接着说,“我会回信给她,但我没有写信的材料: —

not even a book from which I might tear a leaf.”
甚至没有一本书,我可以从中撕下一页。”

“No books!” I exclaimed.
“没有书?”我惊叫道。 —

“How do you contrive to live here without them?
“你们是怎样在这里生活的? —

if I may take the liberty to inquire.
请允许我打听。” —

Though provided with a large library, I’m frequently very dull at the Grange;
虽然有一大堆书在格兰治庄园里,但我经常感到非常无聊; —

take my books away, and I should be desperate!”
把我的书拿走,我会绝望的!”

“I was always reading, when I had them,” said Catherine;
“我有书的时候总是在看,”凯瑟琳说, —

“and Mr. Heathcliff never reads;
“而希斯克利夫从不读书; —

so he took it into his head to destroy my books.
所以他突然决定摧毁我的书。 —

I have not had a glimpse of one for weeks. Only once, I searched through Joseph’s store of theology, to his great irritation;
我已经几个星期没看到书了。只有一次,我在约瑟夫的神学书堆里找过,这让他非常烦躁。” —

and once, Hareton, I came upon a secret stock in your room—some Latin and Greek, and some tales and poetry:
有一次,Hareton,我在你的房间里发现了一个秘密藏书——一些拉丁文、希腊文、故事和诗歌:都是老朋友。 —

all old friends.

I brought the last here—and you gathered them, as a magpie gathers silver spoons, for the mere love of stealing!
我把最后一个带到这里——而你却像鹊鸟收集银勺子一样,纯粹是为了偷窃! —

They are of no use to you;
它们对你没有任何用处; —

or else you concealed them in the bad spirit that, as you cannot enjoy them, nobody else shall.
要不然你就是出于恶意才把它们隐藏起来,因为既然你无法享受它们,就不让别人享受。 —

Perhaps your envy counselled Mr. Heathcliff to rob me of my treasures?
也许是你嫉妒的劝告促使希斯克利夫先生偷走了我的宝藏? —

But I’ve most of them written on my brain and printed in my heart, and you cannot deprive me of those!”
但是我大部分都写在脑海中,印在心里,你无法剥夺我这些!”

Earnshaw blushed crimson when his cousin made this revelation of his private literary accumulations, and stammered an indignant denial of her accusations.
Earnshaw听到他表妹对他私下收藏的文学作品做出这样的披露时,脸涨得通红,结结巴巴地愤怒否认了她的指责。

“Mr. Hareton is desirous of increasing his amount of knowledge, ” I said, coming to his rescue.
“Hareton先生渴望增加自己的知识量,”我说,帮他解围。 —

“He is not envious, but emulous of your attainments.
“他并不嫉妒,而是对你的成就心生羡慕。 —

He’ll be a clever scholar in a few years.”
几年后他会成为一个聪明的学者。”

“And he wants me to sink into a dunce, meantime,” answered Catherine.
“他希望我在这期间变成一个蠢人,”凯瑟琳回答道。 —

“Yes, I hear him trying to spell and read to himself, and pretty blunders he makes!
“是的,我听到他试着自己拼写和阅读,他犯了许多错误! —

I wish you would repeat Chevy Chase as you did yesterday:
我希望你能像昨天那样再念一遍《切维·茶斯》: —

it was extremely funny. I heard you;
”那真是太有趣了。 —

and I heard you turning over the dictionary to seek out the hard words, and then cursing because you couldn’t read their explanations!”
我听到你在查字典寻找难懂的单词,然后又因为无法读懂它们的解释而咒骂!”

The young man evidently thought it too bad that he should be laughed at for his ignorance, and then laughed at for trying to remove it.
这个年轻人显然认为自己的无知被嘲笑是太过分了,然后又因为试图克服无知而被嘲笑。 —

I had a similar notion; and, remembering Mrs. Dean’s anecdote of his first attempt at enlightening the darkness in which he had been reared, I observed,—“But, Mrs. Heathcliff, we have each had a commencement, and each stumbled and tottered on the threshold;
我也有类似的想法;想起了希斯克利夫夫人讲述他初次试图驱除自己沉浸其中的黑暗时的故事,我说道,“但是,希斯克利夫夫人,我们每个人都有一个开始,每个人都在门槛上跌跌撞撞; —

had our teachers scorned instead of aiding us, we should stumble and totter yet.”
如果我们的老师嘲笑而不是帮助我们,我们现在可能还会跌跌撞撞。”

“Oh!” she replied, “I don’t wish to limit his acquirements:
“哦!”她回答道,“我不想限制他的学问: —

still, he has no right to appropriate what is mine, and make it ridiculous to me with his vile mistakes and mispronunciations!
然而,他没有权利占为己有我所有的东西,并用他可恶的错误和发音错误让我觉得荒谬! —

Those books, both prose and verse, are consecrated to me by other associations;
那些书,无论散文还是诗歌,都是通过其他的联想来贤哲我的, —

and I hate to have them debased and profaned in his mouth!
我讨厌听到他用口中亵渎和玷污它们! —

Besides, of all, he has selected my favourite pieces that I love the most to repeat, as if out of deliberate malice.”
而且,他居然选了我最喜欢的那些作品来背诵,简直像是故意刁难我。”

Hareton’s chest heaved in silence a minute:
哈里顿沉默了一分钟,胸膛起伏不定: —

he laboured under a severe sense of mortification and wrath, which it was no easy task to suppress.
他正在努力压抑着自己的屈辱和愤怒,这不是一件容易的事情。 —

I rose, and, from a gentlemanly idea of relieving his embarrassment, took up my station in the doorway, surveying the external prospect as I stood.
我起身站在门口,从一个绅士的角度来说,是为了帮他解围,同时观察着外面的景象。 —

He followed my example, and left the room;
他效仿我的样子,离开了房间, —

but presently reappeared, bearing half a dozen volumes in his hands, which he threw into Catherine’s lap, exclaiming,—“Take them!
但随即又出现,手中拿着六本书,扔到凯瑟琳的膝上,大声说道:“拿去吧! —

I never want to hear, or read, or think of them again!”
“我再也不想听、读或者想到他们了!”

“I won’t have them now,” she answered.
“现在我将它们与你联系起来, —

“I shall connect them with you, and hate them.”
并憎恨它们。”

She opened one that had obviously been often turned over, and read a portion in the drawling tone of a beginner;
她打开一本明显被反复翻阅过的书,用初学者的拖沓语调读了一部分。 —

then laughed, and threw it from her. “And listen, ” she continued, provokingly, commencing a verse of an old ballad in the same fashion.
然后她笑了起来,将书扔了出去。“再听听,”她继续挑衅地用同样的方式开始了一首古老的歌谣的诗节。

But his self-love would endure no further torment: I heard, and not altogether disapprovingly, a manual check given to her saucy tongue.
但是他的自尊心承受不了更多的折磨:我听到他毫不掩饰地打断了她放肆的话语,而我并不完全反对。 —

The little wretch had done her utmost to hurt her cousin’s sensitive though uncultivated feelings, and a physical argument was the only mode he had of balancing the account, and repaying its effects on the inflictor.
这个小鬼尽其所能地伤害着她表亲敏感却未受教育的感情,而身体冲突正是他找到平衡帐户并报复伤害者的唯一方式。 —

He afterwards gathered the books and hurled them on the fire. I read in his countenance what anguish it was to offer that sacrifice to spleen.
他随后收集起那些书,将它们投入火中。我从他的表情中读出了他为了发泄愤怒而做出这种牺牲的痛苦。 —

I fancied that as they consumed, he recalled the pleasure they had already imparted, and the triumph and ever-increasing pleasure he had anticipated from them;
我想象着,随着他们的消耗,他回想起它们已经带给他的快乐,以及他所期待的胜利和越来越多的快乐; —

and I fancied I guessed the incitement to his secret studies also.
我猜想他进行秘密研究的动机也是如此; —

He had been content with daily labour and rough animal enjoyments, till Catherine crossed his path.
在凯瑟琳出现之前,他满足于日常工作和粗糙的动物享受; —

Shame at her scorn, and hope of her approval, were his first prompters to higher pursuits;
对她的蔑视感到羞耻,对她的赞许感到希望,这是他追求更高目标的第一动力; —

and instead of guarding him from one and winning him to the other, his endeavours to raise himself had produced just the contrary result.
他努力提升自己的努力不是保护他免受一种并使他倾向于另一种,相反,却产生了完全相反的结果;

“Yes, that’s all the good that such a brute as you can get from them!
“是的,这是你这种畜生从中得到的全部好处! —

” cried Catherine, sucking her damaged lip, and watching the conflagration with indignant eyes.
”凯瑟琳大声说,咬着受伤的嘴唇,愤怒地注视着大火;

“You’d better hold your tongue, now,” he answered fiercely.
“你最好现在闭嘴,”他猛烈回答道;

And his agitation precluded further speech;
他的激动使他无法继续说下去, —

he advanced hastily to the entrance, where I made way for him to pass.
他匆忙走向入口处,我给他让出了路。 —

But ere he had crossed the door-stones, Mr. Heathcliff, coming up the causeway, encountered him, and laying hold of his shoulder asked, —“What’s to do now, my lad?”
但是在他跨过门槛之前,希斯克利夫先生从堤岸上走过来,抓住他的肩膀问道:“现在怎么回事,小伙子?”

“Naught, naught,” he said, and broke away to enjoy his grief and anger in solitude.
“没什么,没什么,”他说着,挣脱开来,独自一人享受他的悲痛和愤怒。

Heathcliff gazed after him, and sighed.
希斯克利夫望着他的背影,叹了口气。

“It will be odd if I thwart myself,” he muttered, unconscious that I was behind him.
“如果我阻挠自己,那就太奇怪了,”他嘀咕着,没有意识到我在他后面。 —

“But when I look for his father in his face, I find her every day more!
“但是当我在他脸上寻找他父亲时,我发现她每天都越来越像! —

How the devil is he so like?
他到底是怎么跟她那么像? —

I can hardly bear to see him.”
我几乎无法忍受看到他。”

He bent his eyes to the ground, and walked moodily in.
他的眼睛垂下,阴郁地走了进来。 —

There was a restless, anxious expression in his countenance, I had never remarked there before;
在他脸上我从未见过如此不安的表情; —

and he looked sparer in person. His daughter-in-law, on perceiving him through the window, immediately escaped to the kitchen, so that I remained alone.
他的身材变得更加消瘦。他的儿媳妇看见他透过窗户,立刻逃到了厨房里,所以我独自一人。

“I’m glad to see you out of doors again, Mr. Lockwood, ” he said, in reply to my greeting;
“很高兴再次看到你出门了,洛克伍德先生,”他回答着我的问候, —

“from selfish motives partly:
“部分出于自私的动机: —

I don’t think I could readily supply your loss in this desolation.
我觉得我无法在这片荒凉中给予你失去的安慰。 —

I’ve wondered more than once what brought you here.”
我曾经不止一次想知道是什么把你带到这里。

“An idle whim, I fear, sir,” was my answer;
“恐怕是一时的冲动,先生,”我回答道, —

“or else an idle whim is going to spirit me away.
“或者说是一时的冲动将带领我远离这里。 —

I shall set out for London next week;
下周我将动身前往伦敦; —

and I must give you warning that I feel no disposition to retain Thrushcross Grange beyond the twelve months I agreed to rent it.
我必须提前通知你,我对留住苍鸦冢庄园没有任何意愿,超出我租赁的十二个月。 —

I believe I shall not live there any more.”
我相信我将不再住在那里。”

“Oh, indeed; you’re tired of being banished from the world, are you?” he said.
“哦,确实啊,你已经厌倦了被世界放逐,是吗?”他说。 —

“But if you be coming to plead off paying for a place you won’t occupy, your journey is useless:
“但是如果你来请求免除你不会居住的地方的费用,你的旅程是没有用的: —

I never relent in exacting my due from any one.”
我从任何人那里都不退让,要求他们支付应该支付的款项。”

“I’m coming to plead off nothing about it, ” I exclaimed, considerably irritated.
“我来这里并不是为了请求任何事情。”我愤怒地说。 —

“Should you wish it, I’ll settle with you now, ” and I drew my note-book from my pocket.
“如果你愿意的话,我现在就跟你结算。”我从口袋里掏出笔记本。

“No, no,” he replied, coolly;
“不,不,”他冷静地回答道, —

“you’ll leave sufficient behind to cover your debts, if you fail to return: I’m not in such a hurry.
“如果你不返回,你把足够的钱留下来偿还你的债务:我不急着要。” —

Sit down and take your dinner with us;
“坐下来和我们一起吃饭吧; —

a guest that is safe from repeating his visit can generally be made welcome.
一个不会重复光顾的客人通常都会受到欢迎。” —

Catherine! bring the things in: where are you?”
“凯瑟琳!东西拿进来,你在哪里?”

Catherine reappeared, bearing a tray of knives and forks.
凯瑟琳重新出现,拿着一盘刀叉。

“You may get your dinner with Joseph, ” muttered Heathcliff, aside, “and remain in the kitchen till he is gone.”
“你可以和约瑟夫一起吃饭,”希斯克利夫低声说,“等他走了再留在厨房。”

She obeyed his directions very punctually:
她非常准时地遵循他的指示, —

perhaps she had no temptation to transgress.
也许她没有违背的诱惑。 —

Living among clowns and misanthropists, she probably cannot appreciate a better class of people when she meets them.
与小丑和厌世者们生活在一起,当她遇到更好的人时,她可能会无法欣赏他们。

With Mr. Heathcliff, grim and saturnine, on the one hand, and Hareton, absolutely dumb, on the other, I made a somewhat cheerless meal, and bade adieu early.
与希斯克利夫先生冷酷而严峻的一方,以及哈利顿完全无言的另一方,我度过了一个相当多愁善感的晚餐,并且早早告别。 —

I would have departed by the back way, to get a last glimpse of Catherine and annoy old Joseph;
我本想通过后门离开,以最后一眼看看凯瑟琳并惹老约瑟夫生气; —

but Hareton received orders to lead up my horse, and my host himself escorted me to the door, so I could not fulfil my wish.
然而哈里顿收到命令牵引我的马,而我的主人亲自护送我到门口,所以我无法满足我的愿望。

“How dreary life gets over in that house!
“骑着马沿着路上行驶时, —

” I reflected, while riding down the road.
我反思着那个房子里的生活是多么枯燥无味!” —

“What a realisation of something more romantic than a fairy tale it would have been for Mrs. Linton Heathcliff, had she and I struck up an attachment, as her good nurse desired, and migrated together into the stirring atmosphere of the town!”
“如果我和林顿·希斯克利夫夫人真的建立了感情,就像她好的护理人员所期望的那样,并一起迁移到繁华的城市氛围中,那将是一个比童话故事更浪漫的实现!”