At the close of three weeks I was able to quit my chamber and move about the house.
三周后,我终于可以离开房间,在屋子里行动自如了。 —

And on the first occasion of my sitting up in the evening I asked Catherine to read to me, because my eyes were weak.
第一次晚上坐起来时,我因为眼睛不太好,所以请凯瑟琳给我读书。 —

We were in the library, the master having gone to bed:
我们在图书馆里,主人已经上床睡觉了: —

she consented, rather unwillingly, I fancied;
她勉强同意了,我觉得她好像并不情愿。 —

and imagining my sort of books did not suit her, I bid her please herself in the choice of what she perused.
我想她可能不喜欢我读的那种书,所以我告诉她,她可以随意选择自己喜欢的阅读材料。 —

She selected one of her own favourites, and got forward steadily about an hour;
她选择了其中一本她自己的最爱,读了大约一个小时。 —

then came frequent questions.
接下来,她频繁地问问题。

“Ellen, are not you tired?
“埃伦,你累了吗? —

Hadn’t you better lie down now?
你最好现在躺下来。你这样一直保持身体不舒服, —

You’ll be sick, keeping up so long, Ellen.”
可能会生病的,埃伦。”

“No, no, dear, I’m not tired, ” I returned, continually.
“不,不,亲爱的,我不累。”我不停地回答。

Perceiving me immovable, she essayed another method of showing her disrelish for her occupation.
看到我始终不动,她试图用另一种方式表达她对这个活动的厌恶。 —

It changed to yawning, and stretching, and—
她开始打哈欠,伸个懒腰…

“Ellen, I’m tired.”
“埃伦,我累了。”

“Give over then and talk,” I answered.
“那就停下来说话吧,”我回答道。

That was worse: she fretted and sighed, and looked at her watch till eight, and finally went to her room, completely overdone with sleep;
那真是糟糕:她不停地焦虑叹息,总是看着手表等到八点,最后走进了她的房间,疲惫不堪地陷入了睡眠; —

judging by her peevish, heavy look, and the constant rubbing she inflicted on her eyes.
根据她恼怒且沉重的神色,和她经常揉眼睛的样子, —

The following night she seemed more impatient still;
情况变得更加不耐烦; —

and on the third from recovering my company she complained of a headache, and left me. I thought her conduct odd;
第三天她恢复与我在一起后,她抱怨头疼然后离开了我。我觉得她的行为很奇怪; —

and having remained alone a long while, I resolved on going and inquiring whether she were better, and asking her to come and lie on the sofa, instead of upstairs in the dark.
在一个很长时间独自待着后,我决定去询问她是否好些了,并请她来躺在沙发上,而不是楼上的黑暗里; —

No Catherine could I discover upstairs, and none below.
楼上我找不到凯瑟琳,楼下也没有人。 —

The servants affirmed they had not seen her.
仆人们都说他们没有见过她。我在埃德加先生的门口听了一会儿, —

I listened at Mr. Edgar’s door;
一片寂静; —

all was silence. I returned to her apartment, extinguished my candle, and seated myself in the window.
我回到她的房间,吹灭了蜡烛,坐在窗边。

The moon shone bright; a sprinkling of snow covered the ground, and I reflected that she might, possibly, have taken it into her head to walk about the garden, for refreshment.
月光明媚;地面洒满了雪花,我想她可能突然想在花园里散散步,以迎接新鲜空气。 —

I did detect a figure creeping along the inner fence of the park;
我确实看到有个人影沿着公园内的围墙悄悄移动, —

but it was not my young mistress:
但那并不是我的年轻女主人。 —

on its emerging into the light, I recognised one of the grooms.
当它出现在亮光中时,我认出那是其中一个马夫。 —

He stood a considerable period, viewing the carriage-road through the grounds;
他站了相当长的一段时间,透过园中的车道观察着。 —

then started off at a brisk pace, as if he had detected something, and reappeared presently, leading Miss’s pony;
然后他快步离开,好像他发现了什么,一会儿又回来了,牵着小姐的马。 —

and there she was, just dismounted, and walking by its side.
她刚刚下马,走在马旁边。 —

The man took his charge stealthily across the grass towards the stable.
那人悄悄地带着马穿过草地朝马厩走去。 —

Cathy entered by the casement-window of the drawing-room, and glided noiselessly up to where I awaited her.
凯茜从客厅的门窗进入,悄无声息地滑到我等待她的地方。 —

She put the door gently to, slipped off her snowy shoes, untied her hat, and was proceeding, unconscious of my espionage, to lay aside her mantle, when I suddenly rose and revealed myself.
她轻轻地关上门,脱下覆盖在雪地上的鞋子,解开帽子,正要脱掉披肩。这时,我突然站起来,让她看见了我。 —

The surprise petrified her an instant:
这突如其来的惊吓瞬间让她吓呆了: —

she uttered an inarticulate exclamation, and stood fixed.
她发出一个含糊的感叹声,站在那里一动不动。

“My dear Miss Catherine,” I began, too vividly impressed by her recent kindness to break into a scold, “where have you been riding out at this hour?
“亲爱的凯瑟琳小姐,”我开始说道,由于她最近的好意给予我太深刻的印象,我不忍心对她发火,“你这个时候出去骑马去哪儿了? —

And why should you try to deceive me by telling a tale?
为什么你要试图通过编一个故事来欺骗我? —

Where have you been? Speak!”
你去哪儿了?说吧!”

“To the bottom of the park, ” she stammered. “I didn’t tell a tale.”
“去了公园的尽头,”她结结巴巴地说道,“我没说谎。”

“And nowhere else?” I demanded.
“就只去那里吗?”我追问道。

“No,” was the muttered reply.
“是的,”她低声回答。

“Oh, Catherine!” I cried, sorrowfully.
“哦,凯瑟琳!”我伤心地喊道。 —

“You know you have been doing wrong, or you wouldn’t be driven to uttering an untruth to me.
“你知道你做错了,否则你就不会对我撒这样一种蓄意的谎言。 —

That does grieve me. I’d rather be three months ill, than hear you frame a deliberate lie.”
这让我感到痛心。与其听到你编造一个有意的谎言,我宁可生病三个月。”

She sprang forward, and bursting into tears, threw her arms round my neck.
她向前扑过来,泪水涌出,抱住了我的脖子。

“Well, Ellen, I’m so afraid of you being angry, ” she said. “Promise not to be angry, and you shall know the very truth:
“唉,埃伦,我好怕你生气,”她说道。“答应不生气,你就会知道真相: —

I hate to hide it.”
我不想隐藏它。”

We sat down in the window-seat;
我们坐在窗边的座位上; —

I assured her I would not scold, whatever her secret might be, and I guessed it, of course;
我向她保证,无论她的秘密是什么,我都不会责怪她,我当然猜到了她的秘密; —

so she commenced—
于是她开始说——

“I’ve been to Wuthering Heights, Ellen, and I’ve never missed going a day since you fell ill;
“自从你病倒以来,我每天都去过呼啸山庄;除了三次在你离开房间之前和两次在你离开房间之后。我每天晚上都给迈克尔准备书籍和图片,让它放回马厩里;你也不要责备他,记住。我通常在六点半左右到达山庄,一般会待到八点半,然后飞奔回家。 —

except thrice before, and twice after you left your room.
我去不是为了消遣自己, —

I gave Michael books and pictures to prepare Minny every evening, and to put her back in the stable:
有时候我一直都很痛苦。偶尔我会感到快乐,也许每周一次。 —

you mustn’t scold him either, mind.
起初,我以为你很难让我兑现给林顿的承诺, —

I was at the Heights by half-past six, and generally stayed till half-past eight, and then galloped home.
我们离开他那天我答应了第二天再去拜访他;但是,因为你第二天呆在楼上,我省去了那个麻烦。 —

It was not to amuse myself that I went:
有时候我是快乐的, —

I was often wretched all the time.
但并不是为了自娱自乐; —

Now and then I was happy:
也许每周一次。 —

once in a week perhaps.

At first, I expected there would be sad work persuading you to let me keep my word to Linton:
我走以前曾期望你会很难说服,让我兑现对林顿的承诺; —

for I had engaged to call again next day, when we quitted him; but, as you stayed upstairs on the morrow, I escaped that trouble.
因为我们离开那天我承诺第二天再去,当你留在楼上时,我省去了那个麻烦。 —

While Michael was refastening the lock of the park door in the afternoon, I got possession of the key, and told him how my cousin wished me to visit him, because he was sick, and couldn’t come to the Grange;
在下午迈克尔重新锁门的时候,我拿到了钥匙,并告诉他我的表兄想让我去看他,因为他生病了,不能来到格兰治庄园; —

and how papa would object to my going:
并且我爸爸会反对我去; —

and then I negotiated with him about the pony.
然后我就和他谈判关于小马的事情。 —

He is fond of reading, and he thinks of leaving soon to get married;
他喜欢阅读,他打算很快就要结婚了; —

so he offered, if I would lend him books out of the library, to do what I wished:
所以他提出,如果我愿意从图书馆借给他书,他就可以做我想做的事情: —

but I preferred giving him my own, and that satisfied him better.
但我更愿意给他我的书,这样他更满意。

“On my second visit Linton seemed in lively spirits;
“第二次去拜访林顿时,他的精神看起来很好; —

and Zillah (that is their housekeeper) made us a clean room and a good fire, and told us that, as Joseph was out at a prayer-meeting and Hareton Earnshaw was off with his dogs—robbing our woods of pheasants, as I heard afterwards—we might do what we liked.
而且吉拉(就是他们的管家)给我们准备了一个干净的房间和一个热火旺盛的火炉,并告诉我们,因为约瑟夫出去参加祷告会,哈里顿·恩肖带着他的狗出去了——后来听说是在我们的树林里偷猎濠鸡——我们可以做任何我们喜欢的事情。 —

She brought me some warm wine and gingerbread, and appeared exceedingly good-natured;
她给我端来了一些热葡萄酒和姜饼,并显得非常好心; —

and Linton sat in the arm-chair, and I in the little rocking chair on the hearth-stone, and we laughed and talked so merrily, and found so much to say:
我和林顿坐在扶手椅上,而我则坐在炉边的小摇椅上,我们笑着聊着,如此欢乐,话也说不完。 —

we planned where we would go, and what we would do in summer.
我们计划着夏天要去哪里,要做些什么。 —

I needn’t repeat that, because you would call it silly.
我不需要重复那个,因为你会觉得那是无聊的。

“One time, however, we were near quarrelling.
“有一次,我们差点吵架。 —

He said the pleasantest manner of spending a hot July day was lying from morning till evening on a bank of heath in the middle of the moors, with the bees humming dreamily about among the bloom, and the larks singing high up overhead, and the blue sky and bright sun shining steadily and cloudlessly.
他说最愉快的度过一个炎热的七月天是从早到晚躺在荒野中的一片石南花丛上,蜜蜂在花丛间梦幻般地嗡嗡作响,云雀在高空高唱,蓝天和明亮的阳光稳定而无云地照耀着。 —

That was his most perfect idea of heaven’s happiness:
那是他对天堂幸福的最完美构想: —

mine was rocking in a rustling green tree, with a west wind blowing, and bright white clouds flitting rapidly above;
而我则是坐在绿树上,随着西风的吹拂而摇曳,明亮的白云飞快地飘过; —

and not only larks, but throstles, and blackbirds, and linnets, and cuckoos pouring out music on every side, and the moors seen at a distance, broken into cool dusky dells;
不仅有云雀,还有画眉、乌鸫、云雀和杜鹃在四面八方奏出美妙的音乐,而远处的荒野则被分割成凉爽的幽暗山谷。 —

but close by great swells of long grass undulating in waves to the breeze;
但是附近是一片起伏的长草,随着微风波动。 —

and woods and sounding water, and the whole world awake and wild with joy.
还有树木和悦耳的流水声,整个世界都醒来了,充满了欢乐。 —

He wanted all to lie in an ecstasy of peace;
他希望一切都能在宁静的狂喜中沉浸; —

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee.
我希望一切都能在辉煌的欢庆中充满活力。 —

I said his heaven would be only half alive;
我说他的天堂只有一半的生机; —

and he said mine would be drunk:
他说我的天堂会让人陶醉: —

I said I should fall asleep in his;
我说我会在他的天堂里睡着; —

and he said he could not breathe in mine, and began to grow very snappish.
他说他在我的天堂里无法呼吸,开始变得很暴躁。 —

At last, we agreed to try both, as soon as the right weather came;
最后,我们约定等合适的天气来临时试试两种天堂; —

and then we kissed each other and were friends.
然后我们亲吻对方,成为朋友。

“After sitting still an hour, I looked at the great room with its smooth uncarpeted floor, and thought how nice it would be to play in, if we removed the table;
“坐了一个小时之后,我看着这个巨大的房间,光滑的未铺地板,想象着如果我们把桌子搬走,玩起来会多么美妙; —

and I asked Linton to call Zillah in to help us, and we’d have a game at blindman’s-buff;
我让林顿叫希拉来帮助我们,我们可以玩一局蒙眼捉迷藏;她可以试着抓我们:你以前经常这么做,你知道的,埃伦。他不愿意: —

she should try to catch us:
他说这没有乐趣;但他同意和我玩球。 —

you used to, you know, Ellen. He wouldn’t:
最后, —

there was no pleasure in it, he said;
我们同意了等到合适的天气后同时尝试两种方式; —

but he consented to play at ball with me.

We found two in a cupboard, among a heap of old toys, tops, and hoops, and battledores and shuttlecocks.
我们在一个杂乱的玩具堆中的橱柜里发现了两个,其中有陀螺、轮子、球拍和羽毛球。 —

One was marked C., and the other H.;
其中一个标记着C.,另一个标记着H.; —

I wished to have the C., because that stood for Catherine, and the H. might be for Heathcliff, his name;
我希望拿到标有C.的,因为那代表凯瑟琳,而H.可能代表希斯克利夫,他的名字; —

but the bran came out of H., and Linton didn’t like it.
但H.里的麸皮掉了出来,林顿不喜欢它。 —

I beat him constantly; and he got cross again, and coughed, and returned to his chair.
我一直打败他;他再次变得生气,咳嗽着回到椅子上; —

That night, though, he easily recovered his good humour:
但那天晚上,他很快就恢复了好心情: —

he was charmed with two or three pretty songs—your songs, Ellen;
他被两首或三首漂亮的歌曲迷住了——你的歌曲,艾伦; —

and when I was obliged to go, he begged and entreated me to come the following evening;
当我不得不离开时,他坚持并恳求我第二天晚上再来; —

and I promised.
我答应了; —

Minny and I went flying home as light as air;
米妮和我回家时轻盈得像空气一样; —

and I dreamt of Wuthering Heights and my sweet, darling cousin, till morning.
我梦见呼啸山庄和我亲爱的表弟,直到早晨;

“On the morrow I was sad; partly because you were poorly, and partly that I wished my father knew, and approved of my excursions:
“第二天我很悲伤;一部分是因为你生病了,一部分是因为我希望我父亲知道并且同意我的冒险行动; —

but it was beautiful moonlight after tea; and, as I rode on, the gloom cleared. I shall have another happy evening, I thought to myself;
但是茶后月光如此美丽,当我骑着马继续前行时,阴霾逐渐散去。我想,我将度过另一个快乐的晚上; —

and what delights me more, my pretty Linton will.
更让我高兴的是,漂亮的林顿也会在那里。 —

I trotted up their garden, and was turning round to the back, when that fellow Earnshaw met me, took my bridle, and bid me go in by the front entrance.
我慢慢走进他们的花园,正准备绕到后面去时,那个伙计恩肖拦住了我,拉住了我的马勒,叫我从前门进去。 —

He patted Minny’s neck, and said she was a bonny beast, and appeared as if he wanted me to speak to him.
他轻拍着明妮的脖子,说她是一匹漂亮的马,看起来好像他想和我说话。 —

I only told him to leave my horse alone, or else it would kick him.
我只告诉他不要碰我的马,否则它会踢他。 —

He answered in his vulgar accent, ‘It wouldn’t do mitch hurt if it did;
他用一种粗俗的口音回答说:“踢我也没什么大不了的;” —

’ and surveyed its legs with a smile.
然后他笑着打量着它的腿。 —

I was half inclined to make it try;
我有点想让它试一试; —

however, he moved off to open the door, and, as he raised the latch, he looked up to the inscription above, and said, with a stupid mixture of awkwardness and elation:
然而,他走到门前准备打开门时,他抬起头看着门上的铭文,愚蠢而骄傲地说道: —

‘Miss Catherine! I can read yon, now.’
“凯瑟琳小姐!我现在会读了。”

“‘Wonderful,’ I exclaimed.
“太神奇了!”我惊叫道。 —

‘Pray let us hear you—you are grown clever!’
“请让我们听听你读——你真聪明!”

“He spelt, and drawled over by syllables, the name—‘Hareton Earnshaw.’
“他拼写着、分开音节地喃喃念出这个名字——‘海尔顿·恩肖’。”

“‘And the figures?’ I cried, encouragingly, perceiving that he came to a dead halt.
“‘然后数字呢?’我鼓励地喊道,意识到他停顿了。”

“‘I cannot tell them yet,’ he answered.
“‘我还不能告诉你们,’他回答道。”

“‘Oh, you dunce!’ I said, laughing heartily at his failure.
“‘哦,你这蠢货!’我笑着嘲笑他的失败。”

“The fool stared, with a grin hovering about his lips, and a scowl gathering over his eyes, as if uncertain whether he might not join in my mirth:
“傻瓜盯着我,嘴角上扬,眼睛上挤满了怒意,仿佛犹豫着他是否加入我的欢笑。” —

whether it were not pleasant familiarity, or what it really was, contempt.
“是亲近的熟悉感,还是真正的蔑视,他似乎不确定。” —

I settled his doubts, by suddenly retrieving my gravity and desiring him to walk away, for I came to see Linton, not him.
“我通过突然收敛了笑容并告诉他离开,让他走开,因为我来见林顿,不是他。” —

He reddened—I saw that by the moonlight—dropped his hand from the latch, and skulked off, a picture of mortified vanity.
“他变得脸红——我在月光下看到了——从门闩处放开手,气愤自尊的画面溜走了。” —

He imagined himself to be as accomplished as Linton, I suppose, because he could spell his own name;
“他可能认为自己和林顿一样有才华,因为他会拼写自己的名字;” —

and was marvellously discomfited that I didn’t think the same.”
“他非常挫败,我不认同他的想法。”

“Stop, Miss Catherine, dear!” I interrupted.
“停下来,亲爱的凯瑟琳!”我打断她说道。 —

“I shall not scold, but I don’t like your conduct there.
“我不打算责备你,但是我不喜欢你在那里的行为。 —

If you had remembered that Hareton was your cousin as much as Master Heathcliff, you would have felt how improper it was to behave in that way.
如果你记得哈雷顿和希斯克利夫先生一样是你的表亲,你就会意识到你的行为是多么不合适。 —

At least, it was praiseworthy ambition for him to desire to be as accomplished as Linton;
至少,他渴望像林顿那样有才华是可称赞的; —

and probably he did not learn merely to show off:
他的学习可能不仅仅是为了炫耀: —

you had made him ashamed of his ignorance before, I have no doubt; and he wished to remedy it and please you.
我毫不怀疑你之前已经让他为自己的无知感到羞愧,他希望弥补这一点并取悦你。 —

To sneer at his imperfect attempt was very bad breeding.
嘲笑他不完美的尝试是非常没有教养的。 —

Had you been brought up in his circumstances, would you be less rude?
如果你在他的环境中长大,你会更加粗鲁吗? —

He was as quick and as intelligent a child as ever you were;
他和你一样聪明机敏; —

and I’m hurt that he should be despised now, because that base Heathcliff has treated him so unjustly.”
我感到受伤的是,他因为那个卑鄙的希斯克利夫对待他不公而受到鄙视。”

“Well, Ellen, you won’t cry about it, will you?
“嗯,艾伦,你不会因此而哭泣, —

” she exclaimed, surprised at my earnestness.
对吗?”她惊讶地说。 —

“But wait, and you shall hear if he conned his A B C to please me;
“但是等等,你还会听到他是否为了取悦我而背默了他的A B C; —

and if it were worth while being civil to the brute.
如果值得与该野蛮人保持礼貌的话,我走了进去; —

I entered;

Linton was lying on the settle, and half got up to welcome me.
林顿躺在长椅上,半站起来欢迎我;

“‘I’m ill to-night, Catherine, love,’ he said;
“‘亲爱的凯瑟琳,今晚我不舒服, —

‘and you must have all the talk, and let me listen. Come, and sit by me.
你要多说些话,让我听着。来,坐在我旁边。 —

I was sure you wouldn’t break your word, and I’ll make you promise again, before you go.’
我确定你不会食言,你走之前我要你再保证一次。”

“I knew now that I mustn’t tease him, as he was ill;
“我现在知道不能惹他生气,因为他生病了; —

and I spoke softly and put no questions, and avoided irritating him in any way.
我轻声说话,并且不问问题,避免以任何方式刺激他。 —

I had brought some of my nicest books for him:
我给他带来了一些我最好的书: —

he asked me to read a little of one, and I was about to comply, when Earnshaw burst the door open:
他要我读一点,我正要答应,恩肖突然推开门: —

having gathered venom with reflection.
经过深思熟虑酝酿了毒意。 —

He advanced direct to us, seized Linton by the arm, and swung him off the seat.
他径直向我们走来,抓住林顿的胳膊,把他从座位上摔了下来。

“‘Get to thy own room!’ he said, in a voice almost inarticulate with passion;
“‘回你自己的房间去!” 他愤怒地语气几乎无法表达, —

and his face looked swelled and furious.
并且脸色肿胀、愤怒。 —

‘Take her there if she comes to see thee:
‘如果她来看你,就带她到那里去: —

thou shalln’t keep me out of this.
你不能把我拒之门外。快走! —

Begone wi’ ye both!’
你们俩滚开!’

“He swore at us, and left Linton no time to answer, nearly throwing him into the kitchen;
“他骂我们,并且没有给林顿回答的时间,几乎把他摔向了厨房; —

and he clenched his fist as I followed, seemingly longing to knock me down.
当我跟随他时,他握紧了拳头,似乎渴望将我击倒。 —

I was afraid for a moment, and I let one volume fall;
我一时间感到害怕,不小心让一本书掉落; —

he kicked it after me, and shut us out. I heard a malignant, crackly laugh by the fire, and turning, beheld that odious Joseph standing rubbing his bony hands, and quivering.
他朝我踢去书,然后把我们关在外面。我听到火炉边传来恶毒的、刺耳的笑声,转过身看到了那个可恶的约瑟夫站在那里,揉着他那根瘦骨嶙峋的手,颤抖着。

“‘I wer sure he’d sarve ye out! He’s a grand lad!
“‘我就知道他会对待你们!他是个棒小伙! —

He’s getten t’ raight sperrit in him!
他有着正直的精神! —

He knaws—ay, he knaws, as weel as I do, who sud be t’ maister yonder—Ech, ech, ech!
知道,是的,他知道,就像我一样清楚,那个应该在那边成为主人的是谁—这,这,这! —

He made ye skift properly! Ech, ech, ech!’
他让你们好好受罪!这,这,这!’

“‘Where must we go?’ I asked of my cousin, disregarding the old wretch’s mockery.
“‘我们到哪里去?’我问我的表弟,无视那个老家伙的嘲笑。

“Linton was white and trembling.
“林顿脸色苍白,颤抖不已。 —

He was not pretty then, Ellen: oh, no!
那时他并不好看,埃伦:哦,不! —

he looked frightful;
他看起来可怕无比; —

for his thin face and large eyes were wrought into an expression of frantic, powerless fury.
因为他那瘦削的脸和大眼睛上写满了狂怒而无能为力的表情。 —

He grasped the handle of the door, and shook it: it was fastened inside.
他抓住门把手,摇晃着:门内被锁上了。”

“‘If you don’t let me in, I’ll kill you!
“‘如果你不让我进去,我就杀了你! —

—If you don’t let me in, I’ll kill you!
——如果你不让我进去,我就杀了你!’” —

’ he rather shrieked than said. ‘Devil! devil!
“’他几乎是尖叫着而不是说着。‘恶魔!恶魔! —

—I’ll kill you—I’ll kill you!’
——我要杀了你——我要杀了你!’”

“Joseph uttered his croaking laugh again.
“约瑟夫又发出了他那阴森的笑声。”

“‘Thear, that’s t’ father!
“‘看,那就是父亲!’他喊道。 —

’ he cried. ‘That’s father!
‘那就是父亲!’” —

We’ve allas summut o’ either side in us. Niver heed, Hareton, lad—dunnut be ’feard—he cannot get at thee!’
“我们每个人内心深处都有两面。不要害怕,哈里顿,不要害怕——他靠不近你!”

“I took hold of Linton’s hands, and tried to pull him away;
“我抓住林顿的手,试图把他拉开, —

but he shrieked so shockingly that I dared not proceed.
但他尖叫得如此可怕,我不敢继续。” —

At last his cries were choked by a dreadful fit of coughing;
最后他的尖叫声被可怕的咳嗽声所阻塞; —

blood gushed from his mouth, and he fell on the ground.
鲜血从他的嘴中涌出,他倒在地上。 —

I ran into the yard, sick with terror;
我吓得跑进院子里,喊着齐拉的名字, —

and called for Zillah, as loud as I could.
声音尽可能大。 —

She soon heard me:
她很快听到了: —

she was milking the cows in a shed behind the barn, and hurrying from her work, she inquired what there was to do?
她正在牲口棚后面给牛挤奶,她放下手中的工作,匆忙赶来问发生了什么事? —

I hadn’t breath to explain;
我没办法解释; —

dragging her in, I looked about for Linton.
我抓住她,环顾四周寻找林顿。 —

Earnshaw had come out to examine the mischief he had caused, and he was then conveying the poor thing upstairs.
厄恩肖出来检查他造成的麻烦,然后他把那可怜的孩子带上楼去。 —

Zillah and I ascended after him;
Zillah和我跟着他上楼, —

but he stopped me at the top of the steps, and said I shouldn’t go in:
但他拦住我在楼梯顶上说我不该进去,我必须回家。 —

I must go home.

I exclaimed that he had killed Linton, and I would enter.
我大声喊道他杀了林顿,我一定要进去。 —

Joseph locked the door, and declared I should do ‘no sich stuff, ’ and asked me whether I were ‘bahn to be as mad as him.
约瑟夫锁上门,宣称我不会做这样的事,还问我是否像他一样疯狂。 —

’ I stood crying till the housekeeper reappeared.
我站在那里哭泣,直到女管家重新出现。 —

She affirmed he would be better in a bit, but he couldn’t do with that shrieking and din;
她说他一会儿就会好起来,但他受不了尖叫声和喧嚣声。 —

and she took me, and nearly carried me into the house.
她带着我,几乎把我带进了屋子里。

“Ellen, I was ready to tear my hair off my head!
“埃琳,我都准备要把头发撕掉! —

I sobbed and wept so that my eyes were almost blind;
我哭泣得眼睛几乎失明。 —

and the ruffian you have such sympathy with stood opposite:
而那个你同情的恶棍站在对面, —

presuming every now and then to bid me ‘wisht, ’ and denying that it was his fault;
不时地命令我安静,否认这是他的错。 —

and, finally, frightened by my assertions that I would tell papa, and that he should be put in prison and hanged, he commenced blubbering himself, and hurried out to hide his cowardly agitation.
最后,由于我的断言使他害怕,我说我会告诉爸爸,还说他应该被投进监狱并上绞架,他开始啜泣起来,匆忙跑出去藏起他懦弱的情绪。 —

Still, I was not rid of him:
然而,他还是离不开我: —

when at length they compelled me to depart, and I had got some hundred yards off the premises, he suddenly issued from the shadow of the road-side, and checked Minny and took hold of me.
最后他们迫使我离开了,我已经离开他们的房地院有几百码远时,他突然从路边的阴影中走出来,拦住了米妮,拉住了我。

“‘Miss Catherine, I’m ill grieved, ’ he began, ‘but it’s rayther too bad—’
“‘凯瑟琳小姐,我很伤心,’他开始说,‘但这太过分了—’

“I gave him a cut with my whip, thinking perhaps he would murder me.
我用鞭子抽了他一下,想着也许他会杀了我。 —

He let go, thundering one of his horrid curses, and I galloped home more than half out of my senses.
他放开了,发出了可怕的咒骂声,我狂奔回家,差点失去了理智。

“I didn’t bid you good-night that evening, and I didn’t go to Wuthering Heights the next:
“那天晚上我没有对你说晚安,第二天也没有去过呼啸山庄: —

I wished to go exceedingly;
我非常想去; —

but I was strangely excited, and dreaded to hear that Linton was dead, sometimes;
但我感到非常兴奋,有时担心林顿已经死了, —

and sometimes shuddered at the thought of encountering Hareton.
有时又恐惧着与哈里顿相遇的想法。 —

On the third day I took courage: at least, I couldn’t bear longer suspense, and stole off once more.
第三天,我鼓起勇气:我再也无法忍受悬念,偷偷离开了。 —

I went at five o’clock, and walked;
我五点钟出发,开始走着, —

fancying I might manage to creep into the house, and up to Linton’s room, unobserved. However, the dogs gave notice of my approach.
想着我也许能够悄悄地溜进房子里,爬到林顿的房间,不被人注意到。然而,狗开始警告我的到来。 —

Zillah received me, and saying ‘the lad was mending nicely,’ showed me into a small, tidy, carpeted apartment, where, to my inexpressible joy, I beheld Linton laid on a little sofa, reading one of my books.
兹拉接待了我,并说“小伙子恢复得很好”,把我带到了一个小而整洁、铺着地毯的房间。在那里,我欣喜若狂地看到林顿躺在一张小沙发上,正在读我的一本书。 —

But he would neither speak to me nor look at me, through a whole hour, Ellen:
但他整整一个小时都不肯和我说话,也不看我一眼,埃伦: —

he has such an unhappy temper.
他脾气真糟糕。 —

And what quite confounded me, when he did open his mouth, it was to utter the falsehood that I had occasioned the uproar, and Hareton was not to blame!
更让我感到困惑的是,当他开口时,却说我引起了喧闹,哈里顿没有责任! —

Unable to reply, except passionately, I got up and walked from the room.
我无法回应,除了激动地起身走出房间。 —

He sent after me a faint ‘Catherine!
他向我喊了声“凯瑟琳!” —

’ He did not reckon on being answered so:
他没料到我会回答他, —

but I wouldn’t turn back;
但我不会回头。 —

and the morrow was the second day on which I stayed at home, nearly determined to visit him no more.
第二天,我决定不再去拜访他,留在家里。 —

But it was so miserable going to bed and getting up, and never hearing anything about him, that my resolution melted into air before it was properly formed.
但是上床睡觉和起床都感到非常痛苦,从来没有听到有关他的任何消息,我的决心在形成之前就融化了。 —

It had appeared wrong to take the journey once;
当时去旅行似乎是不对的, —

now it seemed wrong to refrain.
现在不去似乎也是不对的。 —

Michael came to ask if he must saddle Minny;
迈克尔来问我是否要骑骏马。 —

I said ‘Yes,’ and considered myself doing a duty as she bore me over the hills.
我说“是”,认为骑着她越过山丘是在履行义务。 —

I was forced to pass the front windows to get to the court:
我被迫经过前面的窗户去到庭院, —

it was no use trying to conceal my presence.
试图掩饰我的存在是没有用的。

“‘Young master is in the house,’ said Zillah, as she saw me making for the parlour.
“‘小主人在屋里,”吉拉看见我走向客厅时说。我进去了。 —

I went in;

Earnshaw was there also, but he quitted the room directly.
恩肖也在那里,但他马上离开了房间。 —

Linton sat in the great arm-chair half asleep;
林顿半睡半醒地坐在大扶手椅上; —

walking up to the fire, I began in a serious tone, partly meaning it to be true—
走到壁炉前,我以一种认真的口吻开始说话,部分是真心实意的-

“‘As you don’t like me, Linton, and as you think I come on purpose to hurt you, and pretend that I do so every time, this is our last meeting:
“‘既然你不喜欢我,林顿,既然你认为我特意来伤害你,并且假装每次都这么做,那么这就是我们最后一次见面了: —

let us say good-bye; and tell Mr. Heathcliff that you have no wish to see me, and that he mustn’t invent any more falsehoods on the subject.’
我们说声再见吧;告诉希斯克里夫先生,你不想见我,他也不应该再捏造关于这个问题的谎言。’

“‘Sit down and take your hat off, Catherine, ’ he answered. ‘You are so much happier than I am, you ought to be better.
“‘坐下,脱下帽子,凯瑟琳,’他回答道。‘你比我快乐得多,你应该更好一些。 —

Papa talks enough of my defects, and shows enough scorn of me, to make it natural I should doubt myself.
爸爸已经够多地说了我有缺点,并且表现出足够的轻蔑,这让我对自己产生怀疑是很自然的。 —

I doubt whether I am not altogether as worthless as he calls me, frequently; and then I feel so cross and bitter, I hate everybody!
我怀疑我是否完全像他经常说的那样一无是处;然后我感到非常愤怒和苦涩,讨厌每个人! —

I am worthless, and bad in temper, and bad in spirit, almost always; and, if you choose, you may say good-bye: you’ll get rid of an annoyance.
我真的一无是处,在脾气上和精神上都很糟糕,几乎总是这样;如果你愿意,你可以说声再见:你会摆脱一个烦恼。 —

Only, Catherine, do me this justice:
只是,凯瑟琳,请给我这个公道: —

believe that if I might be as sweet, and as kind, and as good as you are, I would be;
相信如果我可以像你一样甜蜜、善良、优秀,我会的; —

as willingly, and more so, than as happy and as healthy.
我愿意,甚至更加愿意,与其说是幸福和健康, —

And believe that your kindness has made me love you deeper than if I deserved your love:
不如说是你的善良让我对你的爱更加深沉,超过了我本应得到的爱。 —

and though I couldn’t, and cannot help showing my nature to you, I regret it and repent it;
虽然我无法控制自己的本性向你展示,但我后悔并悔过。 —

and shall regret and repent it till I die!’
直到我离世,我都会后悔并悔过!

“I felt he spoke the truth; and I felt I must forgive him:
我感觉他说的是实话,我感觉我必须原谅他: —

and, though we should quarrel the next moment, I must forgive him again.
即使我们下一刻又争吵起来,我也必须再次原谅他。 —

We were reconciled; but we cried, both of us, the whole time I stayed: not entirely for sorrow;
我们和好了,但我们一直哭泣,整个我待在那里的时间都是如此:不完全是为了悲伤; —

yet I was sorry Linton had that distorted nature.
但我为林顿那扭曲的本性感到遗憾。 —

He’ll never let his friends be at ease, and he’ll never be at ease himself!
他永远不会让他的朋友感到安心,而他自己也永远不会安宁! —

I have always gone to his little parlour, since that night; because his father returned the day after.
自那天晚上开始,我一直去他的小客厅;因为他的父亲在第二天回来了。

“About three times, I think, we have been merry and hopeful, as we were the first evening;
我想,大约有三次我们像第一个晚上那样愉快和充满希望;其余的访问都是忧郁和困扰: —

the rest of my visits were dreary and troubled:
有时是因为他的自私和恶毒,有时是因为他的痛苦: —

now with his selfishness and spite, and now with his sufferings:
目前一直到他的生命结束,我会一直后悔和悔过! —

but I’ve learned to endure the former with nearly as little resentment as the latter.
不过我已经学会忍受前者了,对后者也没有太多的怨恨。 —

Mr. Heathcliff purposely avoids me:
希斯克里夫先生有意避开我: —

I have hardly seen him at all. Last Sunday, indeed, coming earlier than usual, I heard him abusing poor Linton cruelly for his conduct of the night before.
我几乎看不到他。上个星期天,他比平常早来了,我听到他对林顿前一晚的行为残酷地责骂他。 —

I can’t tell how he knew of it, unless he listened.
我不知道他是怎么知道的,除非他偷听了。 —

Linton had certainly behaved provokingly:
不过,林顿的确是行为让人恼怒: —

however, it was the business of nobody but me, and I interrupted Mr. Heathcliff’s lecture by entering and telling him so.
然而,这只关乎我一个人的事,我进去打断了希斯克里夫先生的训斥,告诉他这一点。 —

He burst into a laugh, and went away, saying he was glad I took that view of the matter.
他爆笑起来,走开了,说他很高兴我对此事持有这样的看法。 —

Since then, I’ve told Linton he must whisper his bitter things.
此后,我告诉林顿他必须小声说出自己的恶毒话。现在, —

Now, Ellen, you have heard all.
埃伦,你都听到了。 —

I can’t be prevented from going to Wuthering Heights, except by inflicting misery on two people;
我不会放任两个人承受痛苦而不去呼啸山庄的,除非必须如此; —

whereas, if you’ll only not tell papa, my going need disturb the tranquillity of none.
然而,只要你不告诉爸爸,我去了不会打扰任何人的平静。 —

You’ll not tell, will you?
你不会告诉,对吧? —

It will be very heartless, if you do.”
如果你告诉,那就太无情了。

“I’ll make up my mind on that point by to-morrow, Miss Catherine,” I replied.
“我会在明天之前对此事下定决心,凯瑟琳小姐,”我回答道。 —

“It requires some study;
“这需要一些研究, —

and so I’ll leave you to your rest, and go think it over.”
所以我会留给你休息,去好好考虑一下。”

I thought it over aloud, in my master’s presence;
我在主人的面前大声地思考了这个问题; —

walking straight from her room to his, and relating the whole story:
从她的房间直接走到他的房间,把整个故事讲给他听: —

with the exception of her conversations with her cousin, and any mention of Hareton.
除了她与表兄的对话,以及对赫顿的任何提及。 —

Mr. Linton was alarmed and distressed, more than he would acknowledge to me.
林顿先生比他向我承认的还要担心和烦恼。 —

In the morning, Catherine learnt my betrayal of her confidence, and she learnt also that her secret visits were to end.
早上,凯瑟琳得知了我背叛了她的信任,她也知道她秘密访问的日子要结束了。 —

In vain she wept and writhed against the interdict, and implored her father to have pity on Linton:
她徒劳地哭泣和扭动,反对这个禁令,哀求她的父亲怜悯林顿: —

all she got to comfort her was a promise that he would write and give him leave to come to the Grange when he pleased;
她唯一得到的安慰是他答应会写信,允许林顿随时来到庄园; —

but explaining that he must no longer expect to see Catherine at Wuthering Heights.
但是解释说他不能再期待看到凯瑟琳在呼啸山庄了。 —

Perhaps, had he been aware of his nephew’s disposition and state of health, he would have seen fit to withhold even that slight consolation.
或许,如果他了解他侄子的性情和健康状况,他可能会认为连那一点点慰藉也不合适。