“These things happened last winter, sir, ” said Mrs. Dean; “hardly more than a year ago.
“这些事情发生在去年冬天,先生,”迪恩夫人说,“几乎只有一年前。” —

Last winter, I did not think, at another twelve months’ end, I should be amusing a stranger to the family with relating them!
去年冬天,我没有想到,在另一年的末尾,我会给一个陌生人讲述这些事情,让他对这个家庭感兴趣! —

Yet, who knows how long you’ll be a stranger?
然而,谁知道你会是陌生人的时间有多久? —

You’re too young to rest always contented, living by yourself;
你还年轻,不可能总是满足于独自生活; —

and I some way fancy no one could see Catherine Linton and not love her.
并且我有点想象不出有人能见到凯瑟琳·林顿而不爱她。 —

You smile;
你在笑; —

but why do you look so lively and interested when I talk about her?
但是当我谈论她的时候,你为什么看起来这么活泼和感兴趣? —

and why have you asked me to hang her picture over your fireplace?
并且你为什么让我把她的画挂在你的壁炉上?而为什么——? —

and why—?”

“Stop, my good friend!” I cried.
“好了,我的朋友!”我喊道。 —

“It may be very possible that I should love her;
“我很有可能会爱上她; —

but would she love me?
但是她会爱上我吗? —

I doubt it too much to venture my tranquillity by running into temptation:
我非常怀疑,不敢冒险让自己陷入诱惑之中以损害我的平静。 —

and then my home is not here.
而且我的家不在这儿。 —

I’m of the busy world, and to its arms I must return. Go on.
我是忙碌的世界的一员,我必须回到那个地方去。继续说下去。 —

Was Catherine obedient to her father’s commands?”
凯瑟琳听从她父亲的命令吗?”

“She was,” continued the housekeeper.
“她确实是这样的,”管家继续说道。 —

“Her affection for him was still the chief sentiment in her heart;
“她对他的深情仍然是她内心的主要情感; —

and he spoke without anger:
他没有生气地说道: —

he spoke in the deep tenderness of one about to leave his treasure amid perils and foes, where his remembered words would be the only aid that he could bequeath to guide her.
他用深情告诉我,他即将把她留在危险和敌人中,他留下的话是他唯一能够遗留下来引导她的帮助。 —

He said to me, a few days afterwards, ‘I wish my nephew would write, Ellen, or call.
他在几天后对我说,‘我希望我侄子能给我写信,艾伦,或者来拜访。 —

Tell me, sincerely, what you think of him:
真诚地告诉我,你对他有何看法: —

is he changed for the better, or is there a prospect of improvement, as he grows a man?’
他是否有所改变,是否有可能在长大时有所进步?’

“‘He’s very delicate, sir,’ I replied;
‘他身体不好,先生,’我回答道; —

‘and scarcely likely to reach manhood:
‘很可能他不会长大成人: —

but this I can say, he does not resemble his father;
但我可以说,他并不像他的父亲; —

and if Miss Catherine had the misfortune to marry him, he would not be beyond her control:
如果凯瑟琳小姐不幸嫁给他,他将不会超出她的掌控范围: —

unless she were extremely and foolishly indulgent.
除非她非常愚蠢地纵容他。 —

However, master, you’ll have plenty of time to get acquainted with him and see whether he would suit her:
不过,主人,你会有足够的时间与他熟悉,并看看他是否适合她: —

it wants four years and more to his being of age.’”
“等他过了四年岁数并且成年了。”

Edgar sighed; and, walking to the window, looked out towards Gimmerton Kirk. It was a misty afternoon, but the February sun shone dimly, and we could just distinguish the two fir-trees in the yard, and the sparely-scattered gravestones.
埃德加叹了口气,走到窗前,朝着吉默顿教堂望去。这是一个雾蒙蒙的下午,但二月的阳光黯淡地照着,我们只能隐约看到院子里的两棵杉树和稀稀拉拉的墓碑。

“I’ve prayed often,” he half soliloquised, “for the approach of what is coming;
“我经常祈祷,为即将到来的事情,现在我开始退缩, —

and now I begin to shrink, and fear it.
害怕起来。” —

I thought the memory of the hour I came down that glen a bridegroom would be less sweet than the anticipation that I was soon, in a few months, or, possibly, weeks, to be carried up, and laid in its lonely hollow!
我以为我曾经下山峡谷时的那个时刻的记忆不会像我即将在几个月甚至几周内被抬起并躺在孤独的墓穴里那样甜蜜! —

Ellen, I’ve been very happy with my little Cathy:
埃伦,我和我的小凯茜在一起非常快乐: —

through winter nights and summer days she was a living hope at my side.
在冬夜和夏日,她一直是我身边的活生生的希望。 —

But I’ve been as happy musing by myself among those stones, under that old church:
但我在那些墓石之间,那座古老的教堂下,独自沉思的时候也很快乐。 —

lying, through the long June evenings, on the green mound of her mother’s grave, and wishing—yearning for the time when I might lie beneath it.
在母亲坟墓的绿丘上,我躺着,穿越着漫长的六月夜晚,渴望着——渴望着有一天也能在那里休憩。 —

What can I do for Cathy? How must I quit her?
我该怎么为凯瑟琳做些什么呢? —

I’d not care one moment for Linton being Heathcliff’s son;
我该如何放弃她?我并不在乎林顿是希斯克里夫的儿子; —

nor for his taking her from me, if he could console her for my loss.
也不在乎他把她从我身边夺走,只要他能安慰她,弥补我失去的。 —

I’d not care that Heathcliff gained his ends, and triumphed in robbing me of my last blessing!
我并不在乎希斯克里夫达到他的目的,在夺走我最后的幸福上取得胜利! —

But should Linton be unworthy—only a feeble tool to his father—I cannot abandon her to him!
但是如果林顿不值得,只是他父亲的一个软弱工具,我不能把她交给他! —

And, hard though it be to crush her buoyant spirit, I must persevere in making her sad while I live, and leaving her solitary when I die.
尽管要让她的充满活力的精神受到打击很难,我必须坚持让她在我活着的时候不开心,并在我去世后让她孤独。 —

Darling! I’d rather resign her to God, and lay her in the earth before me.”
亲爱的!我宁愿把她交给上帝,让她在我面前长眠于大地。”

“Resign her to God as it is, sir,” I answered, “and if we should lose you—which may He forbid—under His providence, I’ll stand her friend and counsellor to the last.
“即使是把她归还给上帝,先生,”我回答道,“如果我们失去了您——愿上帝不容许——在上帝的安排下,我将一直是她的朋友和顾问,直到最后。 —

Miss Catherine is a good girl:
凯瑟琳小姐是个好女孩: —

I don’t fear that she will go wilfully wrong;
我不担心她会故意做错事; —

and people who do their duty are always finally rewarded.”
而那些尽职尽责的人最终总是会得到回报。

Spring advanced; yet my master gathered no real strength, though he resumed his walks in the grounds with his daughter.
春天来临了,然而我的主人并没有真正恢复力量,尽管他重新开始和女儿一起在庭院散步。 —

To her inexperienced notions, this itself was a sign of convalescence;
对于她这个经验不足的想法来说,这本身就是康复的一个迹象; —

and then his cheek was often flushed, and his eyes were bright;
而且他的脸颊常常发红,眼睛闪亮; —

she felt sure of his recovering.
她确信他会康复的。 —

On her seventeenth birthday, he did not visit the churchyard:
在她十七岁生日那天,他没有去教堂; —

it was raining, and I observed—
当时正在下雨,我注意到——

“You’ll surely not go out to-night, sir?”
“先生,您肯定今晚不会出去吧?”

He answered,—“No, I’ll defer it this year a little longer.”
他回答说:“不,我今年再推迟一下。”

He wrote again to Linton, expressing his great desire to see him;
他又给林顿写信,表达了他非常渴望见到他的愿望; —

and, had the invalid been presentable, I’ve no doubt his father would have permitted him to come.
如果那个病人有面子的话,我毫不怀疑他的父亲会允许他来。 —

As it was, being instructed, he returned an answer, intimating that Mr. Heathcliff objected to his calling at the Grange;
事实上,得到了指示后,他回覆了一封回信,表示希斯克利夫先生反对他去葛兰吉庄园拜访; —

but his uncle’s kind remembrance delighted him, and he hoped to meet him sometimes in his rambles, and personally to petition that his cousin and he might not remain long so utterly divided.
然而,他那位叔叔慈爱的问候让他感到高兴,他希望有时候能在游荡中遇到他,并个人请求他们的表亲不要分隔太久。

That part of his letter was simple, and probably his own.
他思考后觉得, —

Heathcliff knew he could plead eloquently for Catherine’s company, then.
他也许可以为凯瑟琳争取到与他在一起的机会。

“I do not ask,” he said, “that she may visit here;
他说:“我并不要求她来这里, —

but am I never to see her, because my father forbids me to go to her home, and you forbid her to come to mine?
但是我永远见不到她吗?因为我父亲禁止我去她的家,你也禁止她来我的家?” —

Do, now and then, ride with her towards the Heights;
请你带她去荒原经过这里, —

and let us exchange a few words, in your presence!
我们可以在你的面前交流几句话! —

We have done nothing to deserve this separation;
我们并没有做什么应该导致我们分离的事情; —

and you are not angry with me:
而且你也没有生我气: —

you have no reason to dislike me, you allow, yourself. Dear uncle!
你承认,你自己并没有理由讨厌我。亲爱的叔叔! —

send me a kind note to-morrow, and leave to join you anywhere you please, except at Thrushcross Grange.
明天给我写一封亲切的便条,告诉我在任何地方,除了Thrushcross Grange,我可以去和你见面。 —

I believe an interview would convince you that my father’s character is not mine:
我相信一次会面会让你明白,我父亲的品质并不代表我的: —

he affirms I am more your nephew than his son;
他声称我更像你的侄子而不是他的儿子。 —

and though I have faults which render me unworthy of Catherine, she has excused them, and for her sake, you should also.
“尽管我有缺点使我不配得到凯瑟琳,但她原谅了我,为了她的缘故,你也应该原谅。” —

You inquire after my health—it is better;
“你关心我的健康,我好多了; —

but while I remain cut off from all hope, and doomed to solitude, or the society of those who never did and never will like me, how can I be cheerful and well?”
但是当我被剥夺了一切希望,注定要孤独,或者与那些从来不喜欢我、永远不会喜欢我的人在一起时,我怎么能快乐和健康呢?”

Edgar, though he felt for the boy, could not consent to grant his request;
“埃德加虽然对那个孩子心存同情,但不能同意他的请求, —

because he could not accompany Catherine.
因为他不能陪伴着凯瑟琳。” —

He said, in summer, perhaps, they might meet: meantime, he wished him to continue writing at intervals, and engaged to give him what advice and comfort he was able by letter;
“他说,也许夏天的时候我们可以见面;与此同时,他希望你继续间断地写信,他答应会以信件的方式给予你尽可能的建议和安慰; —

being well aware of his hard position in his family.
“他深知你在家庭中的艰难处境。 —

Linton complied;
林顿依言照办; —

and had he been unrestrained, would probably have spoiled all by filling his epistles with complaints and lamentations:
“如果他没有受到限制,可能会在信中抱怨和哀叹一切: —

but his father kept a sharp watch over him; and, of course, insisted on every line that my master sent being shown;
“但是他的父亲对他进行了严格的监视;当然,他坚持要展示我主人所写的每一行。” —

so, instead of penning his peculiar personal sufferings and distresses, the themes constantly uppermost in his thoughts, he harped on the cruel obligation of being held asunder from his friend and love;
因此,他没有写下他个人的奇怪痛苦和苦恼,而是一直强调被分离于他的朋友和爱人的残酷义务; —

and gently intimated that Mr. Linton must allow an interview soon, or he should fear he was purposely deceiving him with empty promises.
并委婉地暗示林顿先生,他必须很快允许一次会面,否则他会怀疑他是故意用空洞的承诺来欺骗他。

Cathy was a powerful ally at home;
凯茜在家里是一个有力的盟友; —

and between them they at length persuaded my master to acquiesce in their having a ride or a walk together about once a week, under my guardianship, and on the moors nearest the Grange:
他们最终说服了我的主人同意他们每周约一次在我监护下一起骑马或散步,到最靠近大宅的荒地上; —

for June found him still declining.
因为到了六月, —

Though he had set aside yearly a portion of his income for my young lady’s fortune, he had a natural desire that she might retain—or at least return in a short time to—the house of her ancestors;
他的身体仍然在衰退。虽然他每年都留下一部分收入作为我小姐的嫁妆,但他自然地希望她能保留,或者至少在短期内返回到她祖先的家中; —

and he considered her only prospect of doing that was by a union with his heir;
他认为她能够实现这一目标的唯一希望就是与他的继承人结合; —

he had no idea that the latter was failing almost as fast as himself;
他根本不知道后者的状况几乎和他自己一样糟糕; —

nor had any one, I believe: no doctor visited the Heights, and no one saw Master Heathcliff to make report of his condition among us.
没有任何人,我相信:没有医生前来探望在荒原上的希斯克利夫,也没有人看见他的情况回报给我们。 —

I, for my part, began to fancy my forebodings were false, and that he must be actually rallying, when he mentioned riding and walking on the moors, and seemed so earnest in pursuing his object.
就我个人而言,当他提到在沼地上骑马和散步,并且在追求他的目标时显得如此真诚,我开始觉得自己的预感是错误的,他一定正在复苏。 —

I could not picture a father treating a dying child as tyrannically and wickedly as I afterwards learned Heathcliff had treated him, to compel this apparent eagerness:
我无法想象一个父亲以如此暴虐和邪恶的方式对待一个垂危的孩子,就像我后来了解到希斯克利夫是如何对待他那样,他这种明显的渴望是被死亡威胁的他贪婪和无情计划的失败所催发的。 —

his efforts redoubling the more imminently his avaricious and unfeeling plans were threatened with defeat by death.
他的努力加倍,因为他贪婪而无情的计划被死亡的威胁所击败。