I have paid a visit to the Heights, but I have not seen her since she left:
我曾经来过海斯,但自她离开以来我就再也没有见过她。 —

Joseph held the door in his hand when I called to ask after her, and wouldn’t let me pass.
当我打电话询问她的情况时,约瑟夫手里拿着门,不让我通过。 —

He said Mrs. Linton was “thrang, ” and the master was not in.
他说林顿太太”忙得不可开交”,主人不在家。 —

Zillah has told me something of the way they go on, otherwise I should hardly know who was dead and who living.
兹拉告诉我一些他们的处境,否则我几乎分不清谁已经去世,谁还活着。 —

She thinks Catherine haughty, and does not like her, I can guess by her talk.
她认为凯瑟琳傲慢,并且不喜欢她,我可以从她的谈话中猜到。 —

My young lady asked some aid of her when she first came;
我的小姐一开始来的时候向她请求帮助; —

but Mr. Heathcliff told her to follow her own business, and let his daughter-in-law look after herself;
但是希斯克利夫先生告诉她自己的事情,让她的儿媳自己照顾好自己; —

and Zillah willingly acquiesced, being a narrow-minded, selfish woman. Catherine evinced a child’s annoyance at this neglect;
而兹拉心甘情愿地同意了,因为她是一个心胸狭窄、自私的女人。凯瑟琳对此忍不住地生气起来; —

repaid it with contempt, and thus enlisted my informant among her enemies, as securely as if she had done her some great wrong.
她用蔑视来回报,并将我的朋友归为她的敌人,就像她做了很大的错事一样。 —

I had a long talk with Zillah about six weeks ago, a little before you came, one day when we foregathered on the moor;
六个星期前,也就是你来之前的一天,我和兹拉在荒原上碰了面,我们进行了一次长谈。 —

and this is what she told me.
这就是她告诉我的。

“The first thing Mrs. Linton did,” she said, “on her arrival at the Heights, was to run upstairs, without even wishing good-evening to me and Joseph;
“Mrs. Linton刚到咖啡园就冲上楼去了,甚至连跟我和Joseph道一声晚安的时间都没有; —

she shut herself into Linton’s room, and remained till morning.
她关上自己进了Linton的房间,直到早上都没有出来。 —

Then, while the master and Earnshaw were at breakfast, she entered the house, and asked all in a quiver if the doctor might be sent for?
然后,在主人和Earnshaw吃早饭的时候,她走进了屋子里,颤抖着问我们是否能请医生来? —

her cousin was very ill.
她的表弟病得很严重。

“‘We know that!’ answered Heathcliff;
“‘我们知道!’Heathcliff回答道, —

‘but his life is not worth a farthing, and I won’t spend a farthing on him.’
‘但是他的命不值得一文,我不会为他花一文钱。’

“‘But I cannot tell how to do,’ she said;
“‘可是我不知道该怎么办,’她说, —

‘and if nobody will help me, he’ll die!’
‘如果没有人帮我,他就会死!’

“‘Walk out of the room,’ cried the master, ‘and let me never hear a word more about him!
“‘走出这个房间,’主人大喊道,‘我再也不想听到他的消息了! —

None here care what becomes of him;
在这里没人关心他会怎样;如果你关心, —

if you do, act the nurse;
就去充当他的护士; —

if you do not, lock him up and leave him.’
如果你不关心,就把他关起来然后离开吧。

“Then she began to bother me, and I said I’d had enough plague with the tiresome thing;
然后她开始烦我,我说我已经受够了这个讨厌的东西。 —

we each had our tasks, and hers was to wait on Linton:
我们每个人都有自己的任务,她的任务是照顾林顿: —

Mr. Heathcliff bid me leave that labour to her.
赫思切夫先生让我把那份工作交给她。

“How they managed together, I can’t tell.
他们是如何一起度过的,我无法说清楚。我想他非常烦恼, —

I fancy he fretted a great deal, and moaned hisseln night and day;
整天整夜地呻吟,而她几乎没有休息:从她苍白的脸和沉重的眼睛可以猜想到。 —

and she had precious little rest:
有时候她会像疯了一样走进厨房,看起来很想求助; —

one could guess by her white face and heavy eyes.
但是我不打算违抗主人的命令: —

She sometimes came into the kitchen all wildered like, and looked as if she would fain beg assistance;
我从不敢违抗他,迪恩夫人; —

but I was not going to disobey the master:
虽然我觉得不叫肯尼斯来是不对的,但这不关我事, —

I never dare disobey him, Mrs. Dean;
我既不会劝告也不会抱怨,我总是拒绝干涉。 —

and, though I thought it wrong that Kenneth should not be sent for, it was no concern of mine either to advise or complain, and I always refused to meddle.
有一两次,我们已经上床睡觉之后,我碰巧又打开了门,看到她坐在楼梯顶上哭泣; —

Once or twice, after we had gone to bed, I’ve happened to open my door again and seen her sitting crying on the stairs’-top;
然后我立刻关上门,以免产生干涉的想法。 —

and then I’ve shut myself in quick, for fear of being moved to interfere.
我将自己关在房间里,因为害怕自己会被感动而干涉他人。 —

I did pity her then, I’m sure:
当时我真的是可怜她的,我确定: —

still I didn’t wish to lose my place, you know.
但我不想失去我的位置,你知道的。

“At last, one night she came boldly into my chamber, and frightened me out of my wits, by saying, ‘Tell Mr. Heathcliff that his son is dying—I’m sure he is, this time.
“终于,一天晚上她胆大地走进我的房间,吓得我魂不附体地说道’告诉希斯克利夫先生,他的儿子快不行了 - 我确定这次真的是这样。 —

Get up, instantly, and tell him.’
立刻起来,告诉他。

“Having uttered this speech, she vanished again.
“她说完这句话后,又消失了。 —

I lay a quarter of an hour listening and trembling.
我躺了15分钟,听着发抖。 —

Nothing stirred—the house was quiet.
没有任何声音 - 家里安静得可怕。

“She’s mistaken, I said to myself. He’s got over it.
“她肯定搞错了,我自言自语道。他已经恢复了。 —

I needn’t disturb them;
我不需要打扰他们; —

and I began to doze.
于是我开始打盹。 —

But my sleep was marred a second time by a sharp ringing of the bell—the only bell we have, put up on purpose for Linton;
但我的睡眠第二次被一声尖锐的铃声打断了 - 这是我们唯一的钟,特意为林顿而设; —

and the master called to me to see what was the matter, and inform them that he wouldn’t have that noise repeated.
并且主人对我大喊大叫,看看出了什么事,并告诉他们他不希望再听到那种声音。

“I delivered Catherine’s message. He cursed to himself, and in a few minutes came out with a lighted candle, and proceeded to their room.
我传达了凯瑟琳的消息。他自言自语骂了几句,几分钟后拿着一根点燃的蜡烛出来,朝他们的房间走去。 —

I followed. Mrs. Heathcliff was seated by the bedside, with her hands folded on her knees.
我明白了。希思克里夫夫人坐在床边,双手交叠放在膝盖上。 —

Her father-in-law went up, held the light to Linton’s face, looked at him, and touched him; afterwards he turned to her.
希思克里夫的岳父走上前,把灯光照在林顿的脸上,看了他一眼,然后转向她。

“‘Now—Catherine,’ he said, ‘how do you feel?’
“现在,凯瑟琳,”他说道,”你感觉怎么样?”

“She was dumb.
她一言不发。

“‘How do you feel, Catherine?’ he repeated.
“凯瑟琳,你感觉怎么样?”他重复道。

“‘He’s safe, and I’m free,’ she answered:
“他安全了,而我自由了,”她回答道,” —

‘I should feel well—but,’ she continued, with a bitterness she couldn’t conceal, ‘you have left me so long to struggle against death alone, that I feel and see only death!
我本应该感觉好,但是,”她继续说着,掩饰不住的痛苦,“你让我孤单地与死亡抗争了这么久,我只感觉到和看到死亡! —

I feel like death!’
我感觉像是死亡一样!”

“And she looked like it, too! I gave her a little wine.
她看起来也像是死亡!我给她喝了点酒。 —

Hareton and Joseph, who had been wakened by the ringing and the sound of feet, and heard our talk from outside, now entered.
哈顿和约瑟夫,在铃声和脚步声中被吵醒,从外面听到了我们的对话,于是进来了。 —

Joseph was fain, I believe, of the lad’s removal;
约瑟夫我相信是希望这个小伙子被带走;哈顿似乎有些困扰,虽然他更关注的是看着凯瑟琳, —

Hareton seemed a thought bothered:
而不是林顿。但是主人吩咐他再回去睡觉: —

though he was more taken up with staring at Catherine than thinking of Linton.
— —

But the master bid him get off to bed again:

we didn’t want his help.
我们不想要他的帮助。 —

He afterwards made Joseph remove the body to his chamber, and told me to return to mine, and Mrs. Heathcliff remained by herself.
后来他让约瑟夫把尸体移到他的房间,让我回到自己的房间,希斯克里夫夫人一个人留在那里。

“In the morning, he sent me to tell her she must come down to breakfast:
“早上,他让我告诉她她必须下楼吃早饭: —

she had undressed, and appeared going to sleep, and said she was ill;
她脱了衣服,看起来要睡觉了,她说她病了; —

at which I hardly wondered. I informed Mr. Heathcliff, and he replied,—‘Well, let her be till after the funeral;
我对此几乎不感到奇怪。我告诉了希斯克里夫先生,他回答道:‘好吧,让她待到葬礼之后; —

and go up now and then to get her what is needful; and, as soon as she seems better, tell me.’”
然后时不时上去给她拿些必需品;一旦她看起来好一些了,告诉我。’”

Cathy stayed upstairs a fortnight, according to Zillah;
卡西待在楼上两个星期,根据齐拉的说法; —

who visited her twice a day, and would have been rather more friendly, but her attempts at increasing kindness were proudly and promptly repelled.
她每天都去看望她两次,本来想对她更友好一些,但她试图增加友善的举动却被傲慢地迅速拒绝了。

Heathcliff went up once, to show her Linton’s will.
希斯克里夫曾经上去一次, —

He had bequeathed the whole of his, and what had been her, moveable property, to his father:
给她看林顿的遗嘱。林顿把他自己和她的所有移动财产都遗赠给了他的父亲: —

the poor creature was threatened, or coaxed, into that act during her week’s absence, when his uncle died.
那个可怜的人在她离开一周期间,被威胁或哄骗着完成了那个行动,当时他的叔叔去世了。 —

The lands, being a minor, he could not meddle with. However, Mr. Heathcliff has claimed and kept them in his wife’s right and his also:
这些领地因为他年幼,他不能干预。然而,希思克里夫先生声称并保持了他妻子的权利和他自己的权利: —

I suppose legally; at any rate, Catherine, destitute of cash and friends, cannot disturb his possession.
我想至少从法律上来说是这样的,在任何情况下,凯瑟琳既没有现金又没有朋友,不能干扰他的占有权。

“Nobody,” said Zillah, “ever approached her door, except that once, but I;
“没人,”齐拉说,“除了我之外,有人靠近她的门, —

and nobody asked anything about her.
而且也没人问过关于她的事情。” —

The first occasion of her coming down into the house was on a Sunday afternoon.
她第一次下到屋里是在一个星期天的下午。 —

She had cried out, when I carried up her dinner, that she couldn’t bear any longer being in the cold;
当我端她的晚餐上楼的时候,她大喊不能再忍受寒冷了; —

and I told her the master was going to Thrushcross Grange, and Earnshaw and I needn’t hinder her from descending;
我告诉她主人要去索罗斯克雷斯庄园,而恩肖和我不会阻止她下楼; —

so, as soon as she heard Heathcliff’s horse trot off, she made her appearance, donned in black, and her yellow curls combed back behind her ears as plain as a Quaker:
所以,一听到希思克里夫的马蹄声逐渐远去,她就出现了,穿着黑色衣服,黄色的卷发梳在耳后,一丝不苟,就像一个贵格会的人: —

she couldn’t comb them out.
她不能梳理出来。

“Joseph and I generally go to chapel on Sundays:
“约瑟夫和我通常在周日去教堂:”教堂, —

” the kirk, (you know, has no minister now, explained Mrs. Dean;
(你知道,现在没有牧师了,”迪安夫人解释道。 —

and they call the Methodists’ or Baptists’ place, I can’t say which it is, at Gimmerton, a chapel.
而他们称吉默顿的卫理公会或浸信会教堂为教堂。 —

) “Joseph had gone,” she continued, “but I thought proper to bide at home.
“约瑟夫已经走了,”她继续说,“但我觉得待在家里更合适。 —

Young folks are always the better for an elder’s over-looking;
年轻人总是需要长辈的监督; —

and Hareton, with all his bashfulness, isn’t a model of nice behaviour.
尽管哈里顿非常害羞,但他的行为并不是一个好榜样。 —

I let him know that his cousin would very likely sit with us, and she had been always used to see the Sabbath respected;
我让他知道他的表妹很可能会和我们一起坐,而她一直习惯尊重安息日; —

so he had as good leave his guns and bits of indoor work alone, while she stayed.
所以他最好放下他的枪支和室内工作,等她离开后再做。 —

He coloured up at the news, and cast his eyes over his hands and clothes.
他听到这个消息脸红了,抬起眼睛看了看自己的手和衣服。 —

The train-oil and gunpowder were shoved out of sight in a minute.
鱼油和火药立刻被藏起来了。 —

I saw he meant to give her his company; and I guessed, by his way, he wanted to be presentable;
我看到他打算陪她,而且通过他的方式,我猜他想打扮得体; —

so, laughing, as I durst not laugh when the master is by, I offered to help him, if he would, and joked at his confusion.
所以我笑着,当主人在场的时候我是不敢笑的,我主动提出帮助他,取笑他的困惑。 —

He grew sullen, and began to swear.
他变得愠怒,开始咒骂。

“Now, Mrs. Dean,” Zillah went on, seeing me not pleased by her manner, “you happen think your young lady too fine for Mr. Hareton;
“现在,迪恩夫人,”齐拉继续说道,看到我对她的态度不满意,“你恰好认为你的小姐对哈里顿太过傲慢; —

and happen you’re right:
你恰好是对的: —

but I own I should love well to bring her pride a peg lower.
但我承认我很乐意让她的傲慢降低几个档次。 —

And what will all her learning and her daintiness do for her, now? She’s as poor as you or I:
她的所有学问和娇气对她又有什么好处呢?她跟你我一样穷: —

poorer, I’ll be bound: you’re saving, and I’m doing my little all that road.”
我敢肯定她更穷:你在存钱,我在努力那条路。”

Hareton allowed Zillah to give him her aid;
哈里顿允许齐拉帮助他, —

and she flattered him into a good humour;
她用奉承语言让他心情好了一些; —

so, when Catherine came, half forgetting her former insults, he tried to make himself agreeable, by the housekeeper’s account.
所以,当凯瑟琳来的时候,半忘记了她以前的侮辱,他试图通过女管家的说法让自己变得讨人喜欢。

“Missis walked in,” she said, “as chill as an icicle, and as high as a princess.
“夫人走进来,”她说,“冷得像冰柱,高傲得像公主。 —

I got up and offered her my seat in the arm-chair.
我起身给她提供我的扶手椅。 —

No, she turned up her nose at my civility. Earnshaw rose, too, and bid her come to the settle, and sit close by the fire:
不,她嗤之以鼻地对待我的礼貌。恩肖也站起身,要她过来坐在长凳上,紧挨着火炉: —

he was sure she was starved.
他确定她是饿坏了。”

“‘I’ve been starved a month and more,’ she answered, resting on the word as scornful as she could.
“‘我已经挨饿一个多月了,’她回答道,声音中带着尽可能轻蔑的口气。

“And she got a chair for herself, and placed it at a distance from both of us.
“她给自己找了一把椅子,放在离我们两人都有一段距离的地方。 —

Having sat till she was warm, she began to look round, and discovered a number of books on the dresser;
她坐到暖和了之后,开始四处看了看,在厨房的柜台上发现了一堆书籍; —

she was instantly upon her feet again, stretching to reach them:
她马上站了起来,伸手试图够到它们, —

but they were too high up.
但是它们放得太高了。 —

Her cousin, after watching her endeavours a while, at last summoned courage to help her;
她的堂兄看了她一会儿努力后,终于鼓起勇气帮她; —

she held her frock, and he filled it with the first that came to hand.
她抓住她的裙子,他用手中的书填满它。

“That was a great advance for the lad.
“对这个小伙子来说,这是一次巨大的进步。 —

She didn’t thank him;
她没有道谢; —

still, he felt gratified that she had accepted his assistance, and ventured to stand behind as she examined them, and even to stoop and point out what struck his fancy in certain old pictures which they contained;
不过,他感到很高兴她接受了他的帮助,于是他冒险站在她后面,一起查看这些书,甚至还弯下腰指出其中某些古老的图片吸引了他的注意; —

nor was he daunted by the saucy style in which she jerked the page from his finger:
她的傲慢方式并没有使他气馁,她把纸张从他的手指上甩开了。” —

he contented himself with going a bit farther back and looking at her instead of the book.
他满足于稍微退后,看着她而不是书。她继续阅读, —

She continued reading, or seeking for something to read.
或者寻找一些可读的东西。 —

His attention became, by degrees, quite centred in the study of her thick silky curls:
渐渐地,他的注意力完全集中在研究她浓密柔软的卷发上。 —

her face he couldn’t see, and she couldn’t see him.
他看不见她的脸,她也看不见他。 —

And, perhaps, not quite awake to what he did, but attracted like a child to a candle, at last he proceeded from staring to touching;
也许他并没有完全意识到自己在做什么,但他像孩子被蜡烛吸引一样,最终他从凝视变成了触摸; —

he put out his hand and stroked one curl, as gently as if it were a bird.
他伸出手轻轻地抚摸着一缕卷发,就像抚摸一只小鸟一样温柔。 —

He might have stuck a knife into her neck, she started round in such a taking.
她吓得像被刀子刺到脖子上一样,突然转过身来。

“‘Get away this moment!
“立刻离开! —

How dare you touch me? Why are you stopping there?
你敢碰我?你为什么停在那里? —

’ she cried, in a tone of disgust.
”她厌恶地大声喊道。 —

‘I can’t endure you!
“我受不了你! —

I’ll go upstairs again, if you come near me.’
如果你再靠近我,我就上楼去!

“Mr. Hareton recoiled, looking as foolish as he could do:
“哈里顿先生退缩了,脸看起来尴尬极了: —

he sat down in the settle very quiet, and she continued turning over her volumes another half hour;
他在长椅上静静地坐下来,她继续翻阅她的书籍还有半个小时; —

finally, Earnshaw crossed over, and whispered to me.
最后,恩肖越过来,对我低声说了些什么。

“‘Will you ask her to read to us, Zillah?
“‘你会请她给我们读书吗,希拉? —

I’m stalled of doing naught;
我闲得没事可干; —

and I do like—I could like to hear her!
而我喜欢——我很想听她念! —

Dunnot say I wanted it, but ask of yourseln.’
别说是我要求的,请你亲自问一下。’

“‘Mr. Hareton wishes you would read to us, ma’am, ’ I said, immediately. ‘He’d take it very kind—he’d be much obliged.’
“‘赫顿先生希望您给我们读书,夫人,’我马上回答道。’他会非常感激的。’

“She frowned; and looking up, answered—
她皱了皱眉头,抬头回答说—

“‘Mr. Hareton, and the whole set of you, will be good enough to understand that I reject any pretence at kindness you have the hypocrisy to offer!
‘赫顿先生,以及你们所有人,都要明白,我拒绝你们虚伪地提供的任何善意的假装! —

I despise you, and will have nothing to say to any of you!
我鄙视你们,对你们谁都不想说一句话! —

When I would have given my life for one kind word, even to see one of your faces, you all kept off.
当我为了一个好字甚至想见到你们中的任何一个人付出了生命,你们都往外躲。 —

But I won’t complain to you!
但是我不会向你们抱怨! —

I’m driven down here by the cold;
我是被寒冷驱到这里来的; —

not either to amuse you or enjoy your society.’
既不是为了逗你们开心,也不是为了享受你们的陪伴。

“‘What could I ha’ done?
‘我能做什么呢? —

’ began Earnshaw. ‘How was I to blame?’
’恩肖开始说起来。‘我怎么会有错?’

“‘Oh! you are an exception, ’ answered Mrs. Heathcliff.
‘哦!你是个例外,’希斯克利夫夫人回答道。 —

‘I never missed such a concern as you.’
’我从来没有像你这样关心过一个人。’

“‘But I offered more than once, and asked,’ he said, kindling up at her pertness, ‘I asked Mr. Heathcliff to let me wake for you—’
“‘但我多次提出,问过了,’他生气地回答道,‘我曾经求过希思克里夫先生让我替你守夜–’

“‘Be silent! I’ll go out of doors, or anywhere, rather than have your disagreeable voice in my ear!
“‘闭嘴!我宁愿出去,宁愿跑到任何地方,也不愿听你这讨厌的声音! —

’ said my lady.
’夫人说道。

“Hareton muttered she might go to hell, for him!
“黑尔顿嘀咕着说她可以去地狱, —

and unslinging his gun, restrained himself from his Sunday occupations no longer.
他不再控制住自己,放下枪,不再继续周日的活动。 —

He talked now, freely enough;
现在他可以畅所欲言了; —

and she presently saw fit to retreat to her solitude:
她马上觉得直让他退隐到自己的孤独之中—— —

but the frost had set in, and, in spite of her pride, she was forced to condescend to our company, more and more.
但冰冻天气严寒无情,尽管她骄傲,被迫越来越多地与我们交往。 —

However, I took care there should be no further scorning at my good nature:
然而,我特意保证不再容许对我的好心轻视: —

ever since, I’ve been as stiff as herself;
从那时起,我对她一直很生硬; —

and she has no lover or liker among us:
她在我们中间没有爱慕者或喜欢她的人: —

and she does not deserve one;
她也不值得有一个; —

for, let them say the least word to her, and she’ll curl back without respect of any one.
因为只要有人话里有一点轻蔑之意,她就会嘴尖舌头毫不尊重地还击; —

She’ll snap at the master himself, and as good as dares him to thrash her;
她甚至会对主人吼叫,几乎是在挑衅他打她。” —

and the more hurt she gets, the more venomous she grows.”
“她受到的伤害越多,她变得越有毒。”

At first, on hearing this account from Zillah, I determined to leave my situation, take a cottage, and get Catherine to come and live with me:
刚开始听到Zillah的叙述后,我决定离开我的位置,租一间小屋,让Catherine跟我一起生活: —

but Mr. Heathcliff would as soon permit that as he would set up Hareton in an independent house;
“但是希斯克利夫先生宁可不让那样做,也不愿让Hareton住在独立的房子里;” —

and I can see no remedy, at present, unless she could marry again;
“而且我目前看不到解决办法,除非她能再次结婚;” —

and that scheme it does not come within my province to arrange.
“但这个计划不在我的职责范围内安排。”


* * * * *

Thus ended Mrs. Dean’s story.
于是,Mrs. Dean的故事就这样结束了。 —

Notwithstanding the doctor’s prophecy, I am rapidly recovering strength;
尽管医生预言,我正在迅速恢复体力; —

and though it be only the second week in January, I propose getting out on horseback in a day or two, and riding over to Wuthering Heights, to inform my landlord that I shall spend the next six months in London;
尽管现在才是一月份的第二个星期,我计划在两天内骑马去呼啸山庄,告知我的房东我将在接下来的六个月里在伦敦居住; —

and, if he likes, he may look out for another tenant to take the place after October.
如果他愿意的话,他可以找另一个租客在十月份之后接替我的位置。 —

I would not pass another winter here for much.
我决不会再为了这个冬天待在这里。