We had sad work with little Cathy that day:
当天我们与小凯茜的工作感到难过: —

she rose in high glee, eager to join her cousin, and such passionate tears and lamentations followed the news of his departure that Edgar himself was obliged to soothe her, by affirming he should come back soon:
她兴高采烈地起床,迫不及待地想要和表哥在一起,得知他要离开后她悲伤地痛哭流涕,艾德加本人不得不安抚她,保证他很快就会回来。 —

he added, however, “if I can get him”;
然而,他补充说,“如果我能找到他的话”, —

and there were no hopes of that.
可是这令人没有希望。 —

This promise poorly pacified her;
这个承诺并没有很好地安抚她, —

but time was more potent;
不过时间更有力量。 —

and though still at intervals she inquired of her father when Linton would return, before she did see him again his features had waxed so dim in her memory that she did not recognise him.
尽管她时不时地向父亲询问林顿何时会回来,在她再次见到他之前,她的记忆中他的容貌已经变得模糊,她没有认出他来。

When I chanced to encounter the housekeeper of Wuthering Heights, in paying business visits to Gimmerton, I used to ask how the young master got on;
当我偶然遇到威瑟林草堂的管家,去吉默顿办公时,我常常问年轻主人过得如何; —

for he lived almost as secluded as Catherine herself, and was never to be seen.
因为他几乎和凯瑟琳一样隐居,从未露面。 —

I could gather from her that he continued in weak health, and was a tiresome inmate.
我能从她那里得知他的健康状况依然虚弱,是一个令人厌烦的居民。 —

She said Mr. Heathcliff seemed to dislike him ever longer and worse, though he took some trouble to conceal it:
她说希斯克里夫先生似乎对他越来越厌恶,尽管他努力隐藏起来。 —

he had an antipathy to the sound of his voice, and could not do at all with his sitting in the same room with him many minutes together.
他对他的声音有一种厌恶感,不能忍受他在同一个房间里坐很多分钟。 —

There seldom passed much talk between them:
他们之间很少有很多谈话: —

Linton learnt his lessons and spent his evenings in a small apartment they called the parlour:
林顿在一个他们称为客厅的小房间里学习功课并度过晚上。 —

or else lay in bed all day:
否则就整天躺在床上: —

for he was constantly getting coughs, and colds, and aches, and pains of some sort.
因为他经常咳嗽、感冒,或者有某种疼痛。

“And I never knew such a faint-hearted creature, ” added the woman; “nor one so careful of hisseln.
“而且我从来没见过这么胆小的人,”那个女人补充道,“也没有一个这么关心自己的人。” —

He will go on, if I leave the window open a bit late in the evening.
如果我晚上把窗户开得太迟,他就会继续去。哦! —

Oh! it’s killing, a breath of night air!
夜晚的空气真是致命! —

And he must have a fire in the middle of summer;
即使在夏天也必须有火; —

and Joseph’s bacca-pipe is poison;
乔瑟夫的烟斗就是毒草。 —

and he must always have sweets and dainties, and always milk, milk for ever—heeding naught how the rest of us are pinched in winter;
他必须时刻有甜点和点心,并且永远有牛奶,冬天他才不会理会我们其他人受冻; —

and there he’ll sit, wrapped in his furred cloak in his chair by the fire, with some toast and water or other slop on the hob to sip at;
然后他会坐在火炉边的椅子上,裹着毛皮斗篷,桌子上会有一些烤面包和水或其他东西供他啜饮; —

and if Hareton, for pity, comes to amuse him—Hareton is not bad-natured, though he’s rough—they’re sure to part, one swearing and the other crying.
如果Hareton出于同情来逗他玩,尽管Hareton虽然粗鲁但并不恶意,他们肯定会分开,一个人发誓,另一个人哭泣; —

I believe the master would relish Earnshaw’s thrashing him to a mummy, if he were not his son;
我相信主人会喜欢Earnshaw把他打成千疮百孔,如果他不是他的儿子; —

and I’m certain he would be fit to turn him out of doors, if he knew half the nursing he gives hisseln.
我肯定他会把他赶出门去,如果他知道他对自己照顾的一半; —

But then he won’t go into danger of temptation:
但是他不会冒险去受引诱: —

he never enters the parlour, and should Linton show those ways in the house where he is, he sends him upstairs directly.”
他从不进入客厅,如果Linton在他所在的房子里表现出那些习性,他会立即把他送上楼去。

I divined, from this account, that utter lack of sympathy had rendered young Heathcliff selfish and disagreeable, if he were not so originally;
从这个描述中,我推测出完全缺乏同情心使得年轻的Heathcliff变得自私和难以相处,如果他本来不是的话。 —

and my interest in him, consequently, decayed:
他对我失去了兴趣,因此我的情感也逐渐消退: —

though still I was moved with a sense of grief at his lot, and a wish that he had been left with us.
尽管我仍然对他的命运感到悲伤,希望他能留在我们身边。 —

Mr. Edgar encouraged me to gain information:
这位埃德加先生鼓励我收集信息: —

he thought a great deal about him, I fancy, and would have run some risk to see him;
他对他想得很多,我想他甚至愿意冒些风险去见他; —

and he told me once to ask the housekeeper whether he ever came into the village?
他曾经告诉我去问女管家他是否曾经来过村子? —

She said he had only been twice, on horseback, accompanying his father;
她说他只来过两次,骑着马陪同他父亲; —

and both times he pretended to be quite knocked up for three or four days afterwards.
而且每次他都假装累垮了,接下来的三四天都无法正常活动。 —

That housekeeper left, if I recollect rightly, two years after he came;
如果我记得正确的话,那个女管家在他来两年后离开了; —

and another, whom I did not know, was her successor; she lives there still.
现在还住在哪的是另一个我不认识的女管家,她一直住在那里。

Time wore on at the Grange in its former pleasant way till Miss Cathy reached sixteen.
时间在这个庄园里以原来愉快的方式流逝,直到凯茜小姐十六岁。 —

On the anniversary of her birth we never manifested any signs of rejoicing, because it was also the anniversary of my late mistress’s death.
在她生日这天,我们从未表现出任何喜悦的迹象,因为这也是我已故女主人去世的纪念日。 —

Her father invariably spent that day alone in the library;
她父亲通常会在图书馆里独自度过这一天; —

and walked, at dusk, as far as Gimmerton kirkyard, where he would frequently prolong his stay beyond midnight.
在黄昏时分,他常常走到吉默顿教堂附近,经常会在半夜之后才返回。 —

Therefore Catherine was thrown on her own resources for amusement.
因此,凯瑟琳只能依靠自己的娱乐资源。 —

This twentieth of March was a beautiful spring day, and when her father had retired, my young lady came down dressed for going out, and said she asked to have a ramble on the edge of the moor with me:
这是三月二十日,一个美丽的春日。当她父亲退下后,我的小姐准备好出门,她说要和我一起在荒野的边缘漫步一下。 —

Mr. Linton had given her leave, if we went only a short distance and were back within the hour.
林顿先生同意了,只要我们走的距离不远,并在一个小时之内返回。

“So make haste, Ellen!” she cried.
“所以,快点,埃伦!”她喊道。 —

“I know where I wish to go;
“我知道我想去哪里; —

where a colony of moor-game are settled:
那里有一群荒野游戏鸟落脚: —

I want to see whether they have made their nests yet.”
我想看看它们是否已经筑巢。”

“That must be a good distance up,” I answered;
“那一定离这很远,”我回答道, —

“they don’t breed on the edge of the moor.”
“它们不在荒野边缘筑巢。”

“No, it’s not,” she said.
“不,不远,”她说。 —

“I’ve gone very near with papa.”
“我和爸爸走过很近的。”

I put on my bonnet and sallied out, thinking nothing more of the matter.
我戴上帽子,出发了,没有再多想。 —

She bounded before me, and returned to my side, and was off again like a young greyhound;
她在我面前跳跃,在我身边回转,像一只年轻的灰狗一样迅捷; —

and, at first, I found plenty of entertainment in listening to the larks singing far and near, and enjoying the sweet, warm sunshine;
起初,我在倾听遥远处的云雀歌唱声中找到了充足的娱乐,并享受着温暖阳光的照耀; —

and watching her, my pet and my delight, with her golden ringlets flying loose behind, and her bright cheek, as soft and pure in its bloom as a wild rose, and her eyes radiant with cloudless pleasure.
看着她,我的宠物和快乐之源,她金色的鬈发在身后飞舞,她柔美纯净的脸颊如同野玫瑰一般绽放,她的眼睛充满着无尽的欢愉; —

She was a happy creature, and an angel, in those days.
在那些日子里,她是一个快乐的生灵, —

It’s a pity she could not be content.
一个天使。可惜她无法满足。

“Well,” said I, “where are your moor-game, Miss Cathy?
“嗯,”我说,“凯蒂小姐,你的荒野猎物在哪里? —

We should be at them: the Grange park-fence is a great way off now.”
我们应该开始追逐了:去Grange公园围墙还有一段距离。”

“Oh, a little further—only a little further, Ellen,” was her answer, continually.
“哦,再往前一点—只要再往前一点,艾伦,”她一直这样回答。 —

“Climb to that hillock, pass that bank, and by the time you reach the other side I shall have raised the birds.”
“爬到那个小山包上,越过那个土堆,当你到达另一边时,我会赶起那些鸟来。”

But there were so many hillocks and banks to climb and pass, that, at length, I began to be weary, and told her we must halt, and retrace our steps.
但是有很多丘陵和河岸需要爬过,最后我开始感到疲倦,告诉她我们必须停下来,回头。 —

I shouted to her, as she had outstripped me a long way;
我对她大喊,因为她已经超过我很远了; —

she either did not hear or did not regard, for she still sprang on, and I was compelled to follow.
她要么没听到,要么没有在意,因为她仍然跳跃着前进,我被迫跟随。 —

Finally, she dived into a hollow;
最后,她跳进一个洼地; —

and before I came in sight of her again, she was two miles nearer Wuthering Heights than her own home;
在我再次看到她之前,她离呼啸山庄比她自己的家还要近两英里; —

and I beheld a couple of persons arrest her, one of whom I felt convinced was Mr. Heathcliff himself.
我看见了两个人拦住她,其中一个人我确信是希斯克利夫先生。

Cathy had been caught in the fact of plundering, or, at least, hunting out the nests of the grouse.
卡茜被抓到了窃取,或者至少是挖出松鸡的窝的事实。 —

The Heights were Heathcliff’s land, and he was reproving the poacher.
呼啸山庄是希斯克利夫的土地,他正在责备这个偷猎者。

“I’ve neither taken any nor found any,” she said, as I toiled to them, expanding her hands in corroboration of the statement.
“我既没有拿走也没有找到任何东西,”她说,我在努力走向他们时,举起手来证实这个说法。 —

“I didn’t mean to take them;
“我本来不想拿它们的; —

but papa told me there were quantities up here, and I wished to see the eggs.”
但爸爸告诉我这里有很多,我想看一下那些蛋。”

Heathcliff glanced at me with an ill-meaning smile, expressing his acquaintance with the party, and, consequently, his malevolence towards it, and demanded who “papa” was?
希斯克利夫露出一个恶意的笑容看着我,表达出他对派对的了解,因此,他对它怀有恶意,并问我“爸爸”是谁?

“Mr. Linton of Thrushcross Grange,” she replied.
“莱顿先生来自特拉什克罗斯农舍, —

“I thought you did not know me, or you wouldn’t have spoken in that way.”
”她回答道。“我以为你不认识我,否则你就不会那样说话了。”

“You suppose papa is highly esteemed and respected, then?” he said, sarcastically.
“那么你认为爸爸备受尊敬和重视?”他讽刺地说。

“And what are you?” inquired Catherine, gazing curiously on the speaker.
“那你是谁?”凯瑟琳好奇地问道,目不转睛地盯着说话的人。 —

“That man I’ve seen before.
“我之前见过那个人。 —

Is he your son?”
他是你的儿子吗?”

She pointed to Hareton, the other individual, who had gained nothing but increased bulk and strength by the addition of two years to his age:
她指着哈里顿,另一个人,除了增加了两年的年龄外,一无所获,只变得更加臃肿和强壮: —

he seemed as awkward and rough as ever.
他看起来一如既往的笨拙和粗鲁。

“Miss Cathy,” I interrupted, “it will be three hours instead of one that we are out, presently. We really must go back.”
“凯西小姐,”我打断道,“现在我们在外面待的时间将会变成三个小时而不是一个小时。我们真的必须回去了。”

“No, that man is not my son,” answered Heathcliff, pushing me aside. “But I have one, and you have seen him before too;
“不,那个人不是我的儿子,”希斯克利夫推开我回答道。“但我有一个儿子,你之前也见过他; —

and, though your nurse is in a hurry, I think both you and she would be the better for a little rest.
尽管您的护士很匆忙,但我认为您和她都需要一点休息。 —

Will you just turn this nab of heath, and walk into my house?
你能转过这块荒地,走进我的房子吗? —

You’ll get home earlier for the ease;
为了方便你回家,你会更早回去; —

and you shall receive a kind welcome.”
你将会受到热情的欢迎。

I whispered Catherine that she mustn’t, on any account, accede to the proposal: it was entirely out of the question.
我小声告诉凯瑟琳,无论如何都不能答应这个提议:这完全不可能。

“Why?” she asked, aloud. “I’m tired of running, and the ground is dewy: I can’t sit here.
她大声问道:“为什么?” “我厌倦了奔跑,地面湿漉漉的:我不能坐在这里。 —

Let us go, Ellen. Besides, he says I have seen his son.
— —

He’s mistaken, I think;

but I guess where he lives:

at the farmhouse I visited in coming from Penistone Crags. Don’t you?”
让我们走吧,艾伦。此外,他说我见过他儿子。我想他弄错了;但我猜到他住在哪里:在我从佩尼斯通峭壁回来时参观过的农舍。你明白吗?

“I do. Come, Nelly, hold your tongue—it will be a treat for her to look in on us.
我明白。来吧,奈莉,闭嘴吧——对她来说看望我们将会是一次享受。 —

Hareton, get forwards with the lass.
哈雷顿,快点,带上那个女孩。 —

You shall walk with me, Nelly.”
你和我一起走,奈莉。

“No, she’s not going to any such place,” I cried, struggling to release my arm, which he had seized:
不,她不会去那个地方,我大声喊道,努力挣脱他抓住的我的胳膊。 —

but she was almost at the door-stones already, scampering round the brow at full speed.
但她已经快到门前了,全速绕过山坡。 —

Her appointed companion did not pretend to escort her:
她指定的同伴并没有假装护送她: —

he shied off by the road-side, and vanished.
他躲在路边,然后消失了。

“Mr. Heathcliff, it’s very wrong, ” I continued: “you know you mean no good.
“希斯克利夫先生,这样做是很不对的,”我接着说,“你知道你没有好意。 —

And there she’ll see Linton, and all will be told as soon as ever we return;
她会在那里见到林顿,我们一回来就会把一切都告诉她; —

and I shall have the blame.”
然后我会被指责。”

“I want her to see Linton,” he answered;
“我想让她去见林顿,”他回答道, —

“he’s looking better these few days;
“这几天他看起来好些了; —

it’s not often he’s fit to be seen.
他很少有机会出来露面。 —

And we’ll soon persuade her to keep the visit secret:
而且我们很快就能说服她保守这个秘密; —

where is the harm of it?”
有什么不对的呢?”

“The harm of it is, that her father would hate me if he found I suffered her to enter your house;
“问题是,如果她进了你的房子,她父亲会恨我; —

and I am convinced you have a bad design in encouraging her to do so, ” I replied.
并且我相信你故意鼓励她这样做。”我回答道。

“My design is as honest as possible.
“我的目的非常正当。 —

I’ll inform you of its whole scope,” he said.
我会把全部计划告诉你。”他说。 —

“That the two cousins may fall in love, and get married.
“我希望这两个表亲相爱,并且结婚。 —

I’m acting generously to your master:
我对你的主人非常慷慨: —

his young chit has no expectations, and should she second my wishes she’ll be provided for at once as joint successor with Linton.”
他年轻的女孩没有什么指望,如果她支持我的愿望,她会立即作为林顿的联合继承人得到提供。

“If Linton died,” I answered, “and his life is quite uncertain, Catherine would be the heir.”
“如果林顿去世了,”我回答道,“他的生命非常不确定,那么凯瑟琳将成为继承人。”

“No, she would not,” he said.
“不,她不会。”他说。 —

“There is no clause in the will to secure it so:
“遗嘱里没有条款保证这一点: —

his property would go to me;
他的财产会归属于我; —

but, to prevent disputes, I desire their union, and am resolved to bring it about.”
但是为了避免争议,我希望他们结合,我决心实现这一点。”

“And I’m resolved she shall never approach your house with me again, ” I returned, as we reached the gate, where Miss Cathy waited our coming.
“我决心她再也不会跟我一起进你的房子,”我们走到大门时,我回答道,凯蒂小姐等待着我们的到来。

Heathcliff bade me be quiet; and, preceding us up the path, hastened to open the door.
希思克里夫吩咐我安静,并在我们前面匆忙打开了门。 —

My young lady gave him several looks, as if she could not exactly make up her mind what to think of him;
我的小姐用若干眼神看着他,似乎无法确定对他的看法。 —

but now he smiled when he met her eye, and softened his voice in addressing her;
但现在当他看见她的眼神时微笑了起来,并在对她说话时声音变得温柔。 —

and I was foolish enough to imagine the memory of her mother might disarm him from desiring her injury.
而我愚蠢地认为她母亲的记忆会阻止他想伤害她。 —

Linton stood on the hearth.
林顿站在壁炉前。 —

He had been out walking in the fields, for his cap was on, and he was calling to Joseph to bring him dry shoes.
他刚刚在田野里散步回来,因为戴着帽子,并在叫约瑟夫带他干鞋。 —

He had grown tall of his age, still wanting some months of sixteen.
他已经长得相当高,虽然还差几个月才满十六岁。 —

His features were pretty yet, and his eye and complexion brighter than I remembered them, though with merely temporary lustre borrowed from the salubrious air and genial sun.
他的面容还是很漂亮的,眼睛和皮肤比我记得的时候更明亮,尽管这只是从空气清新和和煦的阳光中借来的暂时光彩。

“Now, who is that?” asked Mr. Heathcliff, turning to Cathy. “Can you tell?”
“现在,那是谁?”希思克里夫先生转向凯茜问道。“你能告诉我吗?”

“Your son?” she said, having doubtfully surveyed, first one and then the other.
“你的儿子?”她犹豫地观察了一番之后说道,先是看了林顿一眼,然后又看了希思克里夫一眼。

“Yes, yes,” answered he:
“是的,是的,”他回答道: —

“but is this the only time you have beheld him?
“但这是你唯一一次见过他吗?想一想! —

Think! Ah! you have a short memory.
啊!你的记忆力真差。 —

Linton, don’t you recall your cousin, that you used to tease us so with wishing to see?”
林顿,你不记得你的表兄弟了吗?你曾经总是拿他取笑我们,希望见到他。

“What, Linton!” cried Cathy, kindling into joyful surprise at the name.
“什么,林顿!” 凯瑟琳惊喜地喊道。” —

“Is that little Linton?
那就是小林顿吗? —

He’s taller than I am!
他比我高! —

Are you Linton?”
你是林顿吗?

The youth stepped forward, and acknowledged himself:
年轻人向前走了一步,承认是他。 —

she kissed him fervently, and they gazed with wonder at the change time had wrought in the appearance of each.
她热情地亲了他一口,他们惊讶地看着时间对他们的外貌所带来的变化。 —

Catherine had reached her full height;
凯瑟琳已经长到了自己的身高; —

her figure was both plump and slender, elastic as steel, and her whole aspect sparkling with health and spirits.
她的身材既丰满又苗条,像弹簧一样有弹性,整个人都闪闪发光,充满健康和活力。 —

Linton’s looks and movements were very languid, and his form extremely slight;
林顿的外貌和动作非常懒散,身材非常纤细; —

but there was a grace in his manner that mitigated these defects, and rendered him not unpleasing.
但他的举止中有一种优雅,减轻了这些缺点,使他不算不讨人喜欢。 —

After exchanging numerous marks of fondness with him, his cousin went to Mr. Heathcliff, who lingered by the door, dividing his attention between the objects inside and those that lay without:
在与他进行了许多深情交换后,他的堂兄去找留在门边的希斯克利夫先生,他的注意力分别在屋内和屋外的物品之间分散着。 —

pretending, that is, to observe the latter, and really noting the former alone.
这就是说,假装关注后者,实际上只关注前者。

“And you are my uncle, then!” she cried, reaching up to salute him.
“那么你就是我的叔叔!”她喊道,伸手向他致敬。 —

“I thought I liked you, though you were cross at first.
“我本来就喜欢你,尽管一开始你很生气。 —

Why don’t you visit at the Grange with Linton?
为什么你不跟林顿一起去恩格瑞奇庄园做客呢? —

To live all these years such close neighbours, and never see us, is odd:
这么多年来,作为如此亲近的邻居,从未见过我们,真奇怪:你到底做了什么? —

what have you done so for?”
“在你出生之前,我去过那里一两次太频繁了,”他回答。“嗯——该死!

“I visited it once or twice too often before you were born, ” he answered. “There—damn it!
如果你有多余的吻要给林顿,请留着它们:我对这些浪费不感兴趣。” —

If you have any kisses to spare, give them to Linton: they are thrown away on me.”
如果你不介意,我会直接进屋,而不是等着大家互相亲吻。”

“Naughty Ellen!” exclaimed Catherine, flying to attack me next with her lavish caresses.
“淘气的艾伦!”凯瑟琳大叫道,飞快地扑过来给我奢华的拥抱。 —

“Wicked Ellen! to try to hinder me from entering.
“邪恶的艾伦!竟然试图阻止我进入。” —

But I’ll take this walk every morning in future:
“但是我将来每天早上都会去散步:我可以, —

may I, uncle?
叔叔吗? —

and sometimes bring papa. Won’t you be glad to see us?”
有时候还会带爸爸来。你会很高兴见到我们吗?

“Of course,” replied the uncle, with a hardly suppressed grimace, resulting from his deep aversion to both the proposed visitors.
“当然,”叔叔回答道,勉强压制住内心的厌恶,这厌恶源自他对提到的两位访客的深深反感。 —

“But stay,” he continued, turning towards the young lady. “Now I think of it, I’d better tell you. Mr. Linton has a prejudice against me:
“但是等等,”他继续说道,转向那位年轻女士。“现在我想起来了,我最好告诉你。林顿先生对我有偏见: —

we quarrelled at one time of our lives, with unchristian ferocity;
我们曾经在生活的某个时刻激烈地争吵过; —

and, if you mention coming here to him, he’ll put a veto on your visits altogether.
如果你向他提到来这里,他会完全否决你的访问。 —

Therefore, you must not mention it, unless you be careless of seeing your cousin hereafter:
所以,除非你不介意以后再也见不到你的表兄,你就不要提起来。 —

you may come, if you will, but you must not mention it.”
你可以来,如果你愿意,但是不要提起来。”

“Why did you quarrel?” asked Catherine, considerably crestfallen.
“你们为什么争吵?”凯瑟琳问道,心情相当沮丧。

“He thought me too poor to wed his sister, ” answered Heathcliff, “and was grieved that I got her:
“他认为我太穷了,不能娶他妹妹,”希斯克利夫回答道,“他为此感到痛苦,他永远都不会原谅。” —

his pride was hurt, and he’ll never forgive it.”
“这是错误的!”年轻女士说:“有一天我会告诉他这个事实。”

“That’s wrong!” said the young lady:
“但林顿和我与你们之间的争执无关。 —

“some time I’ll tell him so.
我不会再来这里, —

But Linton and I have no share in your quarrel. I’ll not come here, then;
他应该来庄园。” —

he shall come to the Grange.”
“对我来说太远了,”她的表兄轻声说道:“走四英里会把我累死。”

“It will be too far for me,” murmured her cousin:
“不,凯瑟琳小姐,你可以偶尔来这里, —

“to walk four miles would kill me.
不是每天早上,而是每周一两次。” —

No, come here, Miss Catherine, now and then:
“每天早上太困难了, —

not every morning, but once or twice a week.”
”她补充说。

The father launched towards his son a glance of bitter contempt.
父亲对儿子投以了一瞥充满了痛恨和蔑视的眼神。

“I am afraid, Nelly, I shall lose my labour, ” he muttered to me.
“恐怕,奈莉,我的努力将会白费,” 他对我嘟囔着说。 —

“Miss Catherine, as the ninny calls her, will discover his value, and send him to the devil. Now, if it had been Hareton!
“凯瑟琳小姐,就像那个傻瓜称呼的那样,会发现他的价值,把他赶到地狱里去。要是换成是哈里顿就好了! —

—Do you know that, twenty times a day, I covet Hareton, with all his degradation?
你知道吗,我每天都羡慕哈里顿,尽管他被贬低了无数次。 —

I’d have loved the lad had he been some one else.
要是他是别人的儿子,我会爱他的。 —

But I think he’s safe from her love.
但是我觉得他对她的爱是安全的。 —

I’ll pit him against that paltry creature, unless it bestir itself briskly.
我要把他和那个无足轻重的家伙相提并论,除非她能迅速行动起来。 —

We calculate it will scarcely last till it is eighteen.
我们估计那份爱几乎撑不到他十八岁。 —

Oh, confound the vapid thing!
哎呀,可恶的东西! —

He’s absorbed in drying his feet, and never looks at her.—Linton!”
他专心地擦干脚,从不看她一眼。林顿!

“Yes, father,” answered the boy.
“是的,父亲,”男孩回答道。

“Have you nothing to show your cousin anywhere about, not even a rabbit or a weasel’s nest?
“你有没有可以给你表妹看的东西,比如兔子或者鼬鼠的巢穴? —

Take her into the garden, before you change your shoes;
在换鞋子之前带她去花园里, —

and into the stable to see your horse.”
还有马厩看你的马。”

“Wouldn’t you rather sit here?” asked Linton, addressing Cathy in a tone which expressed reluctance to move again.
“你宁愿坐在这里吗?”林顿问道,语气中透露出不愿再移动的意愿。

“I don’t know,” she replied, casting a longing look to the door, and evidently eager to be active.
“不知道,”她回答道,望向门口,显然渴望活动。

He kept his seat, and shrank closer to the fire.
他保持着坐姿,靠近火炉。 —

Heathcliff rose, and went into the kitchen, and from thence to the yard, calling out for Hareton.
希斯克利夫站起身,走进厨房,然后去院子里,喊着哈里顿的名字。 —

Hareton responded, and presently the two re-entered.
哈里顿回应了,并立刻回来。 —

The young man had been washing himself, as was visible by the glow on his cheeks and his wetted hair.
从他的红润的脸颊和湿漉漉的头发可见,这个年轻人曾洗过澡。

“Oh, I’ll ask you, uncle,” cried Miss Cathy, recollecting the housekeeper’s assertion.
“哦,我问问你,叔叔,”凯瑟琳大声说道,想起管家的说法。 —

“That is not my cousin, is he?”
“他并不是我的表亲,对吧?”

“Yes,” he replied, “your mother’s nephew.
“是的,”他回答道,“是你妈妈的侄子。 —

Don’t you like him?”
你不喜欢他吗?”

Catherine looked queer.
凯瑟琳一脸神秘的表情。

“Is he not a handsome lad?” he continued.
“他不是个英俊的小伙子吗?”他继续问道。

The uncivil little thing stood on tiptoe, and whispered a sentence in Heathcliff’s ear.
这个粗鲁的小家伙踮起脚尖,低声在希斯克利夫的耳边说了句话。他笑了起来, —

He laughed; Hareton darkened:
哈里顿脸色阴沉。 —

I perceived he was very sensitive to suspected slights, and had obviously a dim notion of his inferiority.
我感觉他对怀疑中的冒犯非常敏感,并明显意识到自己的低人一等。 —

But his master or guardian chased the frown by exclaiming—
但他的主人或者监护人就闪过了他的不悦,大声喊道—

“You’ll be the favourite among us, Hareton!
“Hareton,你会成为我们中的宠儿! —

She says you are a—What was it? Well, something very flattering. Here!
她说你是一个——什么来着?嗯,是一些非常奉承的话。来, —

you go with her round the farm.
你跟她一起在农场里转转吧。 —

And behave like a gentleman, mind!
表现得像个绅士一样, —

Don’t use any bad words;
注意不要说脏话; —

and don’t stare when the young lady is not looking at you, and be ready to hide your face when she is;
在那位小姐看不见你的时候不要盯着她看,当她看着你时准备好遮住脸; —

and, when you speak, say your words slowly, and keep your hands out of your pockets.
当你说话的时候说得慢一些,别把手放在口袋里。 —

Be off, and entertain her as nicely as you can.”
走吧,尽量好好招待她。”

He watched the couple walking past the window.
他通过窗户观察着那对走过的夫妇。 —

Earnshaw had his countenance completely averted from his companion.
Earnshaw完全没有看向他的伴侣。 —

He seemed studying the familiar landscape with a stranger’s and an artist’s interest.
他似乎以一个陌生人和艺术家的兴趣研究着熟悉的风景。 —

Catherine took a sly look at him, expressing small admiration.
Catherine偷偷瞥了他一眼,表达出一点点的赞赏。 —

She then turned her attention to seeking out objects of amusement for herself, and tripped merrily on, lilting a tune to supply the lack of conversation.
然后她将注意力转向寻找自己的娱乐对象,欢快地跳跃着,哼起一首曲调来弥补缺乏对话的空白。

“I’ve tied his tongue,” observed Heathcliff.
“我把他的舌头拴住了,”希斯克利夫观察道。 —

“He’ll not venture a single syllable all the time!
“他不会说一个字的话了!” —

Nelly, you recollect me at his age—nay, some years younger.
奈莉,你还记得我那个年纪的时候吗?不,我比他年轻几岁。 —

Did I ever look so stupid:
我看起来是这么愚蠢, —

so ‘gaumless,’ as Joseph calls it?”
就像约瑟夫说的那样:“傻呆”。

“Worse,” I replied, “because more sullen with it.”
“更糟糕,”我回答道,”因为他更沉闷。”

“I’ve a pleasure in him,” he continued, reflecting aloud. “He has satisfied my expectations.
“我对他很满意,”他继续自言自语。 “他达到了我的期望。 —

If he were a born fool I should not enjoy it half so much.
如果他是一个生来的傻瓜,我不会那么喜欢。 —

But he’s no fool; and I can sympathise with all his feelings, having felt them myself.
但他不傻,我能够理解他的所有感受,因为我也曾有过。 —

I know what he suffers now, for instance, exactly:
我知道他现在受苦了,比如说, —

it is merely a beginning of what he shall suffer, though.
这只是他将要受的苦的开始。 —

And he’ll never be able to emerge from his bathos of coarseness and ignorance.
而且他将永远无法从他的粗鲁和无知的浅薄中解脱出来。 —

I’ve got him faster than his scoundrel of a father secured me, and lower; for he takes a pride in his brutishness.
我比他那个恶棍父亲把我拴住的速度更快,而且比他还卑劣;因为他以他的野蛮为荣。 —

I’ve taught him to scorn everything extra-animal as silly and weak.
我教他鄙视一切除动物之外的东西,认为它们都是愚蠢和软弱的。 —

Don’t you think Hindley would be proud of his son, if he could see him?
你不觉得亨德利如果能看到他的儿子会自豪吗? —

almost as proud as I am of mine.
几乎和我自己的傲慢一样。 —

But there’s this difference;
但有这个区别; —

one is gold put to the use of paving-stones, and the other is tin polished to ape a service of silver. Mine has nothing valuable about it;
其中一个是金子被当作铺路石使用,另一个是锡子磨光仿制成银器。我的没有任何有价值的东西; —

yet I shall have the merit of making it go as far as such poor stuff can go.
然而我将使它发挥到这种贫瘠物品所能达到的极限。 —

His had first-rate qualities, and they are lost:
他的有一流的品质,却被浪费: —

rendered worse than unavailing. I have nothing to regret;
比无济于事还要糟糕。我没有什么可遗憾的; —

he would have more than any, but I, are aware of.
他比任何人都会遗憾,但我知道。 —

And the best of it is, Hareton is damnably fond of me!
最好的是,哈里顿非常喜欢我! —

You’ll own that I’ve outmatched Hindley there.
你会承认我在亨德利那里胜过他。 —

If the dead villain could rise from his grave to abuse me for his offspring’s wrongs, I should have the fun of seeing the said offspring fight him back again, indignant that he should dare to rail at the one friend he has in the world!”
如果这个死去的恶棍能从坟墓中回来谩骂我,责备他的后代所做的错事,我会很开心地看到这个后代再次与他争吵,愤怒地反驳他竟然敢责骂他唯一的朋友!

Heathcliff chuckled a fiendish laugh at the idea.
希斯克利夫对这个想法发出邪恶的笑声。 —

I made no reply, because I saw that he expected none.
我没有回答,因为我看到他并不期望得到回应。 —

Meantime, our young companion, who sat too removed from us to hear what was said, began to evince symptoms of uneasiness, probably repenting that he had denied himself the treat of Catherine’s society for fear of a little fatigue.
同时,我们的年轻伙伴坐得离我们太远,听不到我们说的话,开始表现出不安的症状,可能后悔因为一点疲倦而拒绝享受凯瑟琳的陪伴。 —

His father remarked the restless glances wandering to the window, and the hand irresolutely extended towards his cap.
他的父亲注意到他若有所思的目光飘向窗外,并且无决断地伸出手去拿他的帽子。

“Get up, you idle boy!” he exclaimed, with assumed heartiness. “Away after them!
“起来,你这个懒散的孩子!”他假装热情地喊道。“赶紧去追他们! —

they are just at the corner, by the stand of hives.”
他们就在拐角处,旁边就是蜂箱。”

Linton gathered his energies, and left the hearth.
林顿集中精力,离开了壁炉。 —

The lattice was open, and, as he stepped out, I heard Cathy inquiring of her unsociable attendant what was that inscription over the door?
栅格门敞开着,当他走出去时,我听到凯茜问她那个不善交际的随从,门上写的是什么题字? —

Hareton stared up, and scratched his head like a true clown.
哈里顿仰望着,像一个真正的小丑一样抓着脑袋。

“It’s some damnable writing, ” he answered. “I cannot read it.”
“这是一些该死的字迹,”他回答说,“我看不懂。”

“Can’t read it?” cried Catherine; “I can read it:
“看不懂?” 凯瑟琳喊道,“我能看懂: —

it’s English. But I want to know why it is there.”
这是英文。但我想知道为什么写在那儿。”

Linton giggled: the first appearance of mirth he had exhibited.
林顿吃吃地笑了,这是他第一次展示出的快乐的样子。

“He does not know his letters,” he said to his cousin.
“他不知道字母,”他对表妹说。 —

“Could you believe in the existence of such a colossal dunce?”
“你能相信有这么一个巨大的笨蛋的存在吗?”

“Is he all as he should be?” asked Miss Cathy, seriously; “or is he simple: not right?
“他是不是正常?” 凯茜认真地问道,“或者他是精神简单:不正常吗? —

I’ve questioned him twice now, and each time he looked so stupid I think he does not understand me.
我问了他两次了,每次他看上去那么愚蠢,我觉得他不明白我在说什么。 —

I can hardly understand him, I’m sure!”
我几乎听不懂他,我敢肯定!

Linton repeated his laugh, and glanced at Hareton tauntingly;
林顿再次笑起来,戏弄地瞥了哈里顿一眼, —

who certainly did not seem quite clear of comprehension at that moment.
此刻的哈里顿显然有些不理解。

“There’s nothing the matter but laziness; is there, Earnshaw?” he said. “My cousin fancies you are an idiot.
“除了懒惰没有别的问题,对吧,恩肖?”他说。“我表弟觉得你是个白痴。 —

There you experience the consequence of scorning ‘book-larning, ’ as you would say.
这就是你轻视‘读书学习’的结果,正如你所说的。 —

Have you noticed, Catherine, his frightful Yorkshire pronunciation?”
你有没有注意到,凯瑟琳,他那可怕的约克郡口音?”

“Why, where the devil is the use on’t?
“那玩意有什么用? —

” growled Hareton, more ready in answering his daily companion.
”哈里顿咕哝着回答他的每天伴侣。 —

He was about to enlarge further, but the two youngsters broke into a noisy fit of merriment:
他想要再多说些,但这两个年轻人却笑成了一片嘈杂声: —

my giddy miss being delighted to discover that she might turn his strange talk to matter of amusement.
我的浮躁小姐发现她可以把他奇怪的谈话变成娱乐的内容,她非常高兴。

“Where is the use of the devil in that sentence?
“在那个句子里,‘魔鬼’有什么用? —

” tittered Linton.
”林顿嘻嘻笑着说。 —

“Papa told you not to say any bad words, and you can’t open your mouth without one.
“爸爸告诉你不要说坏话,可你一开口就是一个。” —

Do try to behave like a gentleman, now do!”
请试着像一个绅士一样表现,好吗?现在就试试!

“If thou weren’t more a lass than a lad, I’d fell thee this minute, I would;
“如果你不是个女孩而是个男孩,我就立刻把你打倒, —

pitiful lath of a crater!
真是个可怜的小畜生!” —

” retorted the angry boor, retreating, while his face burnt with mingled rage and mortification;
怒火中烧的农夫嚷道,退后一步,脸上满是愤怒和尴尬。 —

for he was conscious of being insulted, and embarrassed how to resent it.
他感到受到了侮辱,为如何报复感到尴尬。

Mr. Heathcliff having overheard the conversation, as well as I, smiled when he saw him go;
赫斯克利夫先生和我都听到了他们的对话,当他看到那个农夫离开的时候他微笑了。 —

but immediately afterwards cast a look of singular aversion on the flippant pair, who remained chattering in the doorway:
但随后,他对那两个闲聊的人投以了一瞥充满厌恶的目光,他们仍然在门口碎碎念。 —

the boy finding animation enough while discussing Hareton’s faults and deficiencies, and relating anecdotes of his goings on;
这个男孩在谈论赫顿的过错和不足时找到了足够的激情,并讲述他的一些事迹; —

and the girl relishing his pert and spiteful sayings, without considering the ill-nature they evinced.
而这个女孩则喜欢他说话时的尖刻和恶意,而不考虑他们表现出来的刻薄。 —

I began to dislike, more than to compassionate Linton, and to excuse his father in some measure for holding him cheap.
我开始厌恶林顿,对他的父亲在某种程度上不重视他也有些理解了。

We stayed till afternoon:
我们一直待到下午才离开, —

I could not tear Miss Cathy away sooner;
我没有办法早点把凯茜小姐带走。 —

but happily my master had not quitted his apartment, and remained ignorant of our prolonged absence.
但是很庆幸,我的主人仍然没有离开公寓,对于我们的长时间离去一无所知。 —

As we walked home, I would fain have enlightened my charge on the characters of the people we had quitted:
在我们回家的路上,我本想向她解释我们离开的那些人的性格特点: —

but she got it into her head that I was prejudiced against them.
但她脑子里想着我对他们有偏见。

“Aha!” she cried, “you take papa’s side, Ellen: you are partial I know;
她喊道:“啊哈!”你站在爸爸这边,埃伦:我知道你有偏见; —

or else you wouldn’t have cheated me so many years into the notion that Linton lived a long way from here.
否则你不会多年欺骗我认为林顿住得离这里很远。 —

I’m really extremely angry;
我真的非常生气; —

only I’m so pleased I can’t show it!
只是我太高兴了他不能表现出来! —

But you must hold your tongue about my uncle;
但你得对我叔叔保密; —

he’s my uncle, remember;
他是我的叔叔,记住; —

and I’ll scold papa for quarrelling with him.”
我会责备爸爸和他吵架的。

And so she ran on, till I relinquished the endeavour to convince her of her mistake.
她这样说着,直到我放弃了说服她错误的尝试。 —

She did not mention the visit that night, because she did not see Mr. Linton.
那个晚上她没有提到那次拜访,因为她没有见到林顿先生。 —

Next day it all came out, sadly to my chagrin;
第二天一切都揭晓了,让我非常失望; —

and still I was not altogether sorry:
尽管如此,我并不完全感到抱歉: —

I thought the burden of directing and warning would be more efficiently borne by him than me.
我认为由他来担任指导和警告的负担会比我更有效。 —

But he was too timid in giving satisfactory reasons for his wish that she should shun connection with the household of the Heights, and Catherine liked good reasons for every restraint that harassed her petted will.
但是他在给出他希望她远离Wuthering Heights家族的理由时太过胆怯了,而凯瑟琳对于每一个限制她娇惯的意愿的理由都很满意。

“Papa!” she exclaimed, after the morning’s salutations, “guess whom I saw yesterday, in my walk on the moors. Ah, papa, you started!
“爸爸!”她在早晨的问候后大声喊道,“猜猜昨天在荒原上散步时我看到了谁。啊,爸爸,你吃惊了! —

you’ve not done right, have you, now?
你没有做对,对吗?我看到了——但是听我说, —

I saw—but listen, and you shall hear how I found you out;
你会听到我是如何找到你的; —

and Ellen, who is in league with you, and yet pretended to pity me so, when I kept hoping, and was always disappointed about Linton’s coming back!”
以及与你勾结的埃伦,尽管在我一直期待并且一直对林顿的回来感到失望时还假装同情我!”

She gave a faithful account of her excursion and its consequences;
她忠实地描述了她的出行和其结果; —

and my master, though he cast more than one reproachful look at me, said nothing till she had concluded.
尽管我主人不止一次责怪地瞪着我,但他在她结束之前什么也没说。 —

Then he drew her to him, and asked if she knew why he had concealed Linton’s near neighbourhood from her?
接着他把她拉过来,问她是否知道他为什么对她隐瞒了林顿的近在咫尺。 —

Could she think it was to deny her a pleasure that she might harmlessly enjoy?
她觉得这是为了否定她可能无害地享受的快乐吗?

“It was because you disliked Mr. Heathcliff, ” she answered.
她回答:“因为你讨厌希斯克利夫先生。”

“Then you believe I care more for my own feelings than yours, Cathy?” he said.
他说:“那么你认为我更关心自己的感受,而不是你的感受,凯茜?” —

“No, it was not because I disliked Mr. Heathcliff, but because Mr. Heathcliff dislikes me;
“不是因为我讨厌希斯克利夫先生,而是因为希斯克利夫先生讨厌我;他是一个非常邪恶的人,乐于伤害和毁灭那些他讨厌的人,只要给他机会就行。” —

and is a most diabolical man, delighting to wrong and ruin those he hates, if they give him the slightest opportunity.
我知道你不能与你的堂弟保持交往而不与他接触; —

I knew that you could not keep up an acquaintance with your cousin without being brought into contact with him;
我知道他会因为我而憎恨你;所以出于你的利益,而且只是出于你的利益,我采取了措施,让你不再见到林顿。 —

and I knew he would detest you on my account;
我本来打算在你长大后解释这些, —

so for your own good, and nothing else, I took precautions that you should not see Linton again.
我很抱歉我延迟了。 —

I meant to explain this some time as you grew older, and I’m sorry I delayed it.”

“But Mr. Heathcliff was quite cordial, papa, ” observed Catherine, not at all convinced;
“但是希斯克利夫先生非常和蔼可亲,爸爸,”凯瑟琳观察到,并不完全相信,“而且他并不反对我们见面:他说我随时可以去他的房子, —

“and he didn’t object to our seeing each other:
只是我不可以告诉你,因为你和他吵架了,不会原谅他娶了伊莎贝拉姑姑。” —

he said I might come to his house when I pleased;
“而且你是要被指责的: —

only I must not tell you, because you had quarrelled with him, and would not forgive him for marrying aunt Isabella.
他愿意让我们成为朋友,至少是林顿和我;而你不愿意。” —

And you won’t. You are the one to be blamed:
我的主人察觉到她不会相信他对她的姑父的邪恶行为的话, —

he is willing to let us be friends, at least;
就草率地给伊莎贝拉概略地描述了他的行为以及吴瑟灵高地如何成为他的财产的方式。 —

Linton and I; and you are not.”
他无法长时间地谈论这个话题;因为尽管他很少谈论它,但他仍然对自从林顿夫人去世以来占据他心头的古老敌人感到同样的恐惧和厌恶。

My master, perceiving that she would not take his word for her uncle-in-law’s evil disposition, gave a hasty sketch of his conduct to Isabella, and the manner in which Wuthering Heights became his property.
“But Mr. Heathcliff was quite cordial, papa,” observed Catherine, not at all convinced; “and he didn’t object to our seeing each other: he said I might come to his house when I pleased; only I must not tell you, because you had quarrelled with him, and would not forgive him for marrying aunt Isabella.” —

He could not bear to discourse long upon the topic;
“And you won’t. —

for though he spoke little of it, he still felt the same horror and detestation of his ancient enemy that had occupied his heart ever since Mrs. Linton’s death.
You are the one to be blamed: he is willing to let us be friends, at least; Linton and I; and you are not.” —

“She might have been living yet, if it had not been for him!
“如果不是他的话,她可能还活着! —

” was his constant bitter reflection; and, in his eyes, Heathcliff seemed a murderer.
”他不停地痛苦地反思着;在他眼中,希思克里夫仿佛是个杀人凶手。 —

Miss Cathy—conversant with no bad deeds except her own slight acts of disobedience, injustice, and passion, arising from hot temper and thoughtlessness, and repented of on the day they were committed—was amazed at the blackness of spirit that could brood on and cover revenge for years, and deliberately prosecute its plans without a visitation of remorse.
凯茜小姐——除了自己轻微的违抗、不公和激情之外,对恶行一无所知;这些恶行来源于她发怒和冲动时的火爆脾气和考虑不周,她在犯下这些罪行的那一天就已经忏悔——对于这样一个能沉思和固守多年复仇的黑暗内心,毫不后悔地实施计划,她感到非常吃惊。 —

She appeared so deeply impressed and shocked at this new view of human nature—excluded from all her studies and all her ideas till now—that Mr. Edgar deemed it unnecessary to pursue the subject.
她对这种人性的新认识感到非常深刻和震惊——在此之前,她的学习和思想中一直没有这种观点——因此埃德加先生认为没有必要继续讨论这个话题。 —

He merely added: “You will know hereafter, darling, why I wish you to avoid his house and family;
他只是补充道:“亲爱的,以后你会明白我为什么希望你避开他的家庭和他的房子; —

now return to your old employments and amusements, and think no more about them.”
现在回到你以前的工作和娱乐中,不再想他们。”

Catherine kissed her father, and sat down quietly to her lessons for a couple of hours, according to custom;
凯瑟琳亲了她的父亲,然后安静地坐下来学习了几个小时,按照惯例; —

then she accompanied him into the grounds, and the whole day passed as usual:
然后她陪父亲走进庭院,整天都过得和往常一样; —

but in the evening, when she had retired to her room, and I went to help her to undress, I found her crying, on her knees by the bedside.
但是晚上,当她退到自己的房间时,我去帮她脱衣服时,发现她跪在床边哭泣;

“Oh, fie, silly child!” I exclaimed.
“哎呀,傻孩子!”我叫道, —

“If you had any real griefs you’d be ashamed to waste a tear on this little contrariety.
“如果你有真正的悲伤,你会为这点小恼怒而流泪而感到羞耻。 —

You never had one shadow of substantial sorrow, Miss Catherine.
凯瑟琳小姐,你从来没有遇到过一点实质性的悲伤。 —

Suppose, for a minute, that master and I were dead, and you were by yourself in the world:
假设一分钟,如果主人和我死了,你独自一人在这个世界上, —

how would you feel, then?
你会有什么感觉? —

Compare the present occasion with such an affliction as that, and be thankful for the friends you have, instead of coveting more.”
把现在的场合与那样一个痛苦相比较,感谢你拥有的朋友,而不是贪婪的要求更多。”

“I’m not crying for myself, Ellen, ” she answered, “it’s for him.
“我不是为自己哭泣,埃伦,”她回答,“是为他。 —

He expected to see me again to-morrow, and there he’ll be so disappointed:
他期待明天再见到我,而他将会如此失望: —

and he’ll wait for me, and I sha’n’t come!”
他会等我,而我却不会来!”

“Nonsense!” said I, “do you imagine he has thought as much of you as you have of him?
“胡说八道!”我说,“你以为他对你的想法和你对他的想法一样多吗? —

Hasn’t he Hareton for a companion?
难道他没有哈雷顿作伴吗? —

Not one in a hundred would weep at losing a relation they had just seen twice, for two afternoons.
百人之中不会有一个人会因为失去一个他刚两次见面,只有两个下午的亲戚而流泪。 —

Linton will conjecture how it is, and trouble himself no further about you.”
林顿会猜测为什么这样,然后就不再为你烦恼了。”

“But may I not write a note to tell him why I cannot come?
“但是我不能写个便条告诉他我为什么不能来吗? —

” she asked, rising to her feet.
”她站了起来。 —

“And just send those books I promised to lend him?
“然后寄那些我答应借给他的书? —

His books are not as nice as mine, and he wanted to have them extremely, when I told him how interesting they were.
他的书没有我的好,我告诉他有多有趣,他很想要。艾伦,我不能这样吗? —

May I not, Ellen?”

“No, indeed! no, indeed!” replied I with decision.
“不,真的不行!”我坚定地回答。 —

“Then he would write to you, and there’d never be an end of it.
“那么他会写信给你,就永远没有个了断。 —

No, Miss Catherine, the acquaintance must be dropped entirely:
不,凯瑟琳小姐,这个交往必须完全中断: —

so papa expects, and I shall see that it is done.”
爸爸是这样期望的,而我会确保这样做。”

“But how can one little note—?
“但是一张小便条怎么办呢? —

” she recommenced, putting on an imploring countenance.
”她又开始求情的表情。

“Silence!” I interrupted.
“闭嘴!”我打断道。 —

“We’ll not begin with your little notes.
“我们不会从你的小纸条开始。 —

Get into bed.”
上床。”

She threw at me a very naughty look, so naughty that I would not kiss her good-night at first:
她投给我一个很淘气的眼神,如此淘气以至于我一开始不愿意吻她晚安: —

I covered her up, and shut her door, in great displeasure;
我把她盖好,并生气地关上了门,但是, —

but, repenting half-way, I returned softly, and lo!
在半路上悔过,我悄悄地回来了,哦! —

there was Miss standing at the table with a bit of blank paper before her and a pencil in her hand, which she guiltily slipped out of sight on my entrance.
那是小姐站在桌子前,面前放着一张空白纸和一支铅笔,她赶紧把它藏起来,走进来时,我看到了这一幕,她有罪地做了这样的动作。

“You’ll get nobody to take that, Catherine,” I said, “if you write it; and at present I shall put out your candle.”
“如果你写那个,凯瑟琳,你是不会找到任何人愿意帮你的,而且现在我会吹灭你的蜡烛。”

I set the extinguisher on the flame, receiving as I did so a slap on my hand and a petulant “cross thing!
我把灭火器放在火焰上,这时我被她拍了一下我的手,她发脾气地说:“坏蛋!” —

” I then quitted her again, and she drew the bolt in one of her worst, most peevish humours.
我再次离开她,她生气地拉上门闩,处于她最坏、最发脾气的状态。 —

The letter was finished and forwarded to its destination by a milk-fetcher who came from the village;
信已经写好,并由一个来自村子里的挑奶工人转交到目的地。 —

but that I didn’t learn till some time afterwards.
但那是我在一段时间之后才知道的。 —

Weeks passed on, and Cathy recovered her temper;
几个星期过去了,凯西恢复了她的脾气; —

though she grew wondrous fond of stealing off to corners by herself;
尽管她变得非常喜欢偷偷溜到角落里去; —

and often, if I came near her suddenly while reading, she would start and bend over the book, evidently desirous to hide it;
如果我突然靠近她看书的时候,她会惊起并弯下身子,显然是想把书藏起来; —

and I detected edges of loose paper sticking out beyond the leaves.
我看到一些松散的纸质边角从书页外伸出来。 —

She also got a trick of coming down early in the morning and lingering about the kitchen, as if she were expecting the arrival of something;
她还养成了早上早早下来在厨房周围逗留的习惯,仿佛她在期待某个东西的到来; —

and she had a small drawer in a cabinet in the library, which she would trifle over for hours, and whose key she took special care to remove when she left it.
她在图书馆的一个柜子里有一个小抽屉,她会花上几个小时来玩弄它,每次离开时都特别注意拿走钥匙。

One day, as she inspected this drawer, I observed that the playthings and trinkets which recently formed its contents were transmuted into bits of folded paper.
有一天,当她检查这个抽屉的时候,我观察到最近存放在里面的玩具和小饰品都变成了折叠的纸片。 —

My curiosity and suspicions were roused;
我的好奇心和怀疑心被激起; —

I determined to take a peep at her mysterious treasures;
我决定偷看她的神秘宝藏。 —

so, at night, as soon as she and my master were safe upstairs, I searched, and readily found among my house keys one that would fit the lock.
所以,晚上,她和我的主人上楼后,我立刻搜索,在我的钥匙中很快找到了一个合适的钥匙插入锁孔。 —

Having opened, I emptied the whole contents into my apron, and took them with me to examine at leisure in my own chamber.
打开后,我把全部内容倒入围裙中,带到自己的房间里慢慢研究。 —

Though I could not but suspect, I was still surprised to discover that they were a mass of correspondence—daily almost, it must have been—from Linton Heathcliff:
尽管我不禁怀疑,但还是吃惊地发现,这些连续不断的信件几乎每天都是来自林顿·希斯克利夫的: —

answers to documents forwarded by her.
是对她转交的文件的回复。 —

The earlier dated were embarrassed and short;
早期的回信显得尴尬而简短; —

gradually, however, they expanded into copious love-letters, foolish, as the age of the writer rendered natural, yet with touches here and there which I thought were borrowed from a more experienced source.
但逐渐地,它们变成了丰富的情书,因为写信人的年龄自然而然地变得愚蠢,但有些地方的描写让我觉得是从一个更富有经验的来源借鉴而来。 —

Some of them struck me as singularly odd compounds of ardour and flatness;
其中一些信令我感到奇怪,似乎是热情和平庸的奇怪混合; —

commencing in strong feeling, and concluding in the affected, wordy style that a schoolboy might use to a fancied, incorporeal sweetheart.
它们以强烈的情感开始,以做作、语言浮夸的风格结束,就像一个学生对着他想象中的无形恋人说话一样。 —

Whether they satisfied Cathy I don’t know;
我不知道他们是否令凯西满意; —

but they appeared very worthless trash to me.
但对我来说,它们看起来非常无价值。 —

After turning over as many as I thought proper, I tied them in a handkerchief and set them aside, relocking the vacant drawer.
翻过了我认为合适的数量后,我把它们捆在手帕里放在一边,重新锁好空着的抽屉。

Following her habit, my young lady descended early, and visited the kitchen: I watched her go to the door, on the arrival of a certain little boy;
按照她的习惯,我的小姐很早就下楼去厨房了:我看着她在某个小男孩到来时走向门口; —

and, while the dairymaid filled his can, she tucked something into his jacket pocket, and plucked something out.
并且,在奶工倒牛奶时,她把什么东西塞进他的夹克口袋里,又拔出了什么东西。 —

I went round by the garden, and laid wait for the messenger;
我绕过花园,等待那个送信人; —

who fought valorously to defend his trust, and we spilt the milk between us;
他奋勇地保卫他的任务,我们两个人都弄洒了牛奶; —

but I succeeded in abstracting the epistle; and, threatening serious consequences if he did not look sharp home, I remained under the wall and perused Miss Cathy’s affectionate composition.
但我成功地偷走了信件;并威胁他如果不赶紧回家就会有严重后果,我站在墙下阅读了凯西小姐深情的信。 —

It was more simple and more eloquent than her cousin’s:
它比她表弟的信更简单,更动人:很漂亮, —

very pretty and very silly. I shook my head, and went meditating into the house.
但很愚蠢。我摇了摇头,沉思着走进了屋子。 —

The day being wet, she could not divert herself with rambling about the park;
由于天气潮湿,她无法通过在公园里游荡来消遣自己; —

so, at the conclusion of her morning studies, she resorted to the solace of the drawer.
所以,在上午学习结束后,她转而求助于抽屉的安慰。 —

Her father sat reading at the table;
她父亲坐在桌子旁看书; —

and I, on purpose, had sought a bit of work in some unripped fringes of the window-curtain, keeping my eye steadily fixed on her proceedings.
而我故意在窗帘的未剪开的褶皱处找了些工作,一直凝视着她的动作。 —

Never did any bird flying back to a plundered nest, which it had left brimful of chirping young ones, express more complete despair, in its anguished cries and flutterings, than she by her single “Oh!
任何一只飞回被掠走的窝巢,里面本该有满满的鸟雏在吱吱喳喳,都不会比她现在的单一的“噢!”和她脸上发生的变化更加显出完全的绝望。林顿先生抬头看了看。 —

” and the change that transfigured her late happy countenance.
“怎么了,亲爱的?你受伤了吗? —

Mr. Linton looked up.
”他说。

“What is the matter, love?
他的语调和神情让她确信他并非发现这个隐藏处。 —

Have you hurt yourself?” he said.

His tone and look assured her he had not been the discoverer of the hoard.
他的语调和神情让她确信他并非发现这个藏匿的东西。

“No, papa!” she gasped. “Ellen! Ellen!
“不,爸爸!”她喘着气说道。“埃伦!埃伦! —

come upstairs—I’m sick!”
上楼来——我病了!”

I obeyed her summons, and accompanied her out.
我听从她的召唤,陪着她出去。

“Oh, Ellen! you have got them, ” she commenced immediately, dropping on her knees, when we were enclosed alone.
“哦,埃伦!你找到它们了。”她一进来就立刻跪下,我们俩人独处时。 —

“Oh, give them to me, and I’ll never, never do so again!
“哦,给我吧,我再也不会做这样的事了! —

Don’t tell papa. You have not told papa, Ellen?
不要告诉爸爸。你没有告诉爸爸,埃伦? —

say you have not? I’ve been exceedingly naughty, but I won’t do it any more!”
请你告诉我没有告诉爸爸?我真的很调皮但以后不会再这样了!”

With a grave severity in my manner I bade her stand up.
我庄重严肃地让她站起来。

“So,” I exclaimed, “Miss Catherine, you are tolerably far on, it seems:
“这样,”我喊道,“凯瑟琳小姐,看起来你已经很远了, —

you may well be ashamed of them!
你肯定会为这个感到羞愧的! —

A fine bundle of trash you study in your leisure hours, to be sure: why, it’s good enough to be printed!
你在闲暇时间里学习的这一堆垃圾,简直够好以供印刷了! —

And what do you suppose the master will think when I display it before him?
你以为主人看到它会有什么想法? —

I hav’n’t shown it yet, but you needn’t imagine I shall keep your ridiculous secrets.
我还没有给他看,但你不要以为我会保守你的可笑秘密。真可耻! —

For shame!

and you must have led the way in writing such absurdities:
“你一定是在写这种荒谬之事时带头的: —

he would not have thought of beginning, I’m certain.”
我肯定他自己从不会想到开始的,一点也不会。”

“I didn’t! I didn’t!” sobbed Cathy, fit to break her heart. “I didn’t once think of loving him till—”
“我没有!我没有!” 凯瑟琳哭着说,伤心得要命。 “我直到……才开始想要爱他的。”

Loving!” cried I, as scornfully as I could utter the word.
!” 我愤然地大声说道。 “! —

Loving! Did anybody ever hear the like!
有人曾经听过这种话吗! —

I might just as well talk of loving the miller who comes once a year to buy our corn.
我宁愿说我喜欢的是那个每年来买我们庄稼的磨坊主。 —

Pretty loving, indeed!
多么可笑的所谓的爱! —

and both times together you have seen Linton hardly four hours in your life!
你只见过林顿不到四个小时的时间! —

Now here is the babyish trash.
现在就是这种幼稚的废话。 —

I’m going with it to the library;
我要带这些信件去图书馆, —

and we’ll see what your father says to such loving.”
我们看看你父亲对这种所谓的“爱”有何言论。

She sprang at her precious epistles, but I held them above my head;
她扑向珍贵的信件,但我把它们举过头顶。 —

and then she poured out further frantic entreaties that I would burn them—do anything rather than show them.
然后她继续不停地恳求我烧掉它们,做任何事情都好,只是不要展示给别人看。 —

And being really fully as much inclined to laugh as scold—for I esteemed it all girlish vanity—I at length relented in a measure, and asked,—“If I consent to burn them, will you promise faithfully neither to send nor receive a letter again, nor a book (for I perceive you have sent him books), nor locks of hair, nor rings, nor playthings?”
作为一个倾向于笑而不是责骂的人——因为我认为这只是女孩子的虚荣——最终我在某种程度上妥协了,问道:“如果我同意把它们烧掉,你能保证再也不会寄送或收到信件,书籍(我看到你给他寄过书),头发、戒指或玩具了吗?”

“We don’t send playthings, ” cried Catherine, her pride overcoming her shame.
“我们不寄送玩具”,凯瑟琳大声说道,她的骄傲战胜了她的羞愧。

“Nor anything at all, then, my lady?
“那什么都不寄送了,我的女士? —

” I said. “Unless you will, here I go.”
”我说。“除非你愿意,我就开始了。”

“I promise, Ellen!” she cried, catching my dress.
“我保证,埃伦!”她大声喊道,一把抓住我的衣服。 —

“Oh, put them in the fire, do, do!”
“哦,把它们扔进火里吧,求求你!”

But when I proceeded to open a place with the poker the sacrifice was too painful to be borne.
但当我准备用火钳打开一处地方时,这个牺牲实在是太痛苦了,无法忍受。 —

She earnestly supplicated that I would spare her one or two.
她恳求我至少给她留下一两个。

“One or two, Ellen, to keep for Linton’s sake!”
“埃伦,给利顿的缘故,留下一个或两个好吗?”

I unknotted the handkerchief, and commenced dropping them in from an angle, and the flame curled up the chimney.
我解开了手帕的结,从一个角度将它们逐个放进去,火焰从烟囱里升腾起来。

“I will have one, you cruel wretch!” she screamed, darting her hand into the fire, and drawing forth some half-consumed fragments, at the expense of her fingers.
“我要一个,你这个残忍的恶婆娘!”她尖叫着,伸手伸进火中,取出了一些半烧残片,却伤了她的手指。

“Very well—and I will have some to exhibit to papa!
“很好,我要把它们给爸爸看! —

” I answered, shaking back the rest into the bundle, and turning anew to the door.
”我回答道,将其余的东西抖散到一起,重新朝门走去。

She emptied her blackened pieces into the flames, and motioned me to finish the immolation.
她将黑乎乎的残片倒进火中,示意我完成祭祀。于是我完成了。 —

It was done;

I stirred up the ashes, and interred them under a shovelful of coals;
我搅动着灰烬,将它们埋葬在一铲煤下面。 —

and she mutely, and with a sense of intense injury, retired to her private apartment.
她默默无语,感到极度的委屈,退到了她的私人房间。 —

I descended to tell my master that the young lady’s qualm of sickness was almost gone, but I judged it best for her to lie down a while.
我下楼告诉主人小姐的不舒服已经差不多好了,但我认为她最好躺一会儿。 —

She wouldn’t dine; but she reappeared at tea, pale, and red about the eyes, and marvellously subdued in outward aspect.
她不想吃晚饭,但她出现在茶桌旁,苍白的脸庞和红肿的眼睛使她的外表显得异常沉静。 —

Next morning I answered the letter by a slip of paper, inscribed, “Master Heathcliff is requested to send no more notes to Miss Linton, as she will not receive them.
第二天早上,我用一张纸条回信道:“要求希斯克里夫先生不再给林顿小姐送任何纸条,因为她不会收到。” —

” And, thenceforth, the little boy came with vacant pockets.
从此以后,那个小男孩空着口袋来了。