For two months the fugitives remained absent;
两个月里,逃犯们一直没有露面; —

in those two months, Mrs. Linton encountered and conquered the worst shock of what was denominated a brain fever.
在这两个月里,林顿夫人经历了被称为脑热的最严重打击,并战胜了它。 —

No mother could have nursed an only child more devotedly than Edgar tended her.
没有母亲能比埃德加更全心全意地照顾她。 —

Day and night he was watching, and patiently enduring all the annoyances that irritable nerves and a shaken reason could inflict;
昼夜他都在观察,并耐心忍受易怒的神经和不稳定的理性所带来的一切烦恼; —

and, though Kenneth remarked that what he saved from the grave would only recompense his care by forming the source of constant future anxiety—in fact, that his health and strength were being sacrificed to preserve a mere ruin of humanity—he knew no limits in gratitude and joy when Catherine’s life was declared out of danger;
尽管肯尼斯说他从坟墓中解救出来的只能以不断的焦虑代替他的关心(实际上,他的健康和力量正在为保存一个残破的人类而牺牲),当凯瑟琳的生命被宣布无忧时,他对感激和喜悦没有任何限制; —

and hour after hour he would sit beside her, tracing the gradual return to bodily health, and flattering his too sanguine hopes with the illusion that her mind would settle back to its right balance also, and she would soon be entirely her former self.
每个小时,他都会坐在她身边,追踪她身体健康的逐渐恢复,并用幻想来满足他太过乐观的希望,希望她的思维也会重新回到正常状态,她很快会恢复到原来的样子。

The first time she left her chamber was at the commencement of the following March. Mr. Linton had put on her pillow, in the morning, a handful of golden crocuses;
她第一次离开自己的房间是在随后的三月初。 —

her eye, long stranger to any gleam of pleasure, caught them in waking, and shone delighted as she gathered them eagerly together.
她的眼睛已经很久没有见到任何喜悦的闪光了,但当她醒来时,看到了那把金黄色的水仙花,她高兴地把它们一把捧在手中。

“These are the earliest flowers at the Heights, ” she exclaimed.
“这是希兹的第一朵鲜花,”她兴奋地说道。 —

“They remind me of soft thaw winds, and warm sunshine, and nearly melted snow.
“它们让我想起了温暖的南风,和熔化的雪。 —

Edgar, is there not a south wind, and is not the snow almost gone?”
埃德加,现在是不是有南风吹,雪几乎都融化了?”

“The snow is quite gone down here, darling, ” replied her husband; “and I only see two white spots on the whole range of moors:
“亲爱的,这里的雪已经完全融化了。”她丈夫回答说,“我只看到了整个荒原上的两个白点: —

the sky is blue, and the larks are singing, and the becks and brooks are all brim full.
天空是蓝色的,云雀在唱歌,小溪都满满的。 —

Catherine, last spring at this time, I was longing to have you under this roof;
凯瑟琳,去年的这个时候,我很想让你住在这个屋顶下; —

now, I wish you were a mile or two up those hills:
现在,我希望你在那些山上走上一两英里: —

the air blows so sweetly, I feel that it would cure you.”
空气是如此清新,我相信它会治愈你的。”

“I shall never be there but once more, ” said the invalid; “and then you’ll leave me, and I shall remain for ever.
“我再也不会来这里了,”病人说,“然后你会离开我,我将永远留在这里。” —

Next spring you’ll long again to have me under this roof, and you’ll look back and think you were happy to-day.”
“明年春天你又会渴望我在这个屋顶下,而你会回望今天,觉得自己很幸福。”

Linton lavished on her the kindest caresses, and tried to cheer her by the fondest words;
林顿给她最温柔的抚慰,并试图用最亲切的言辞来安慰她; —

but, vaguely regarding the flowers, she let the tears collect on her lashes and stream down her cheeks unheeding.
但她茫然地看着花朵,眼泪在她的眼睫上积聚,不顾地流下脸颊。 —

We knew she was really better, and, therefore, decided that long confinement to a single place produced much of this despondency, and it might be partially removed by a change of scene.
我们知道她真的好转了,因此决定长时间困在一个地方会产生很多绝望,而通过改变环境可能部分减轻。 —

The master told me to light a fire in the many-weeks’ deserted parlour, and to set an easy-chair in the sunshine by the window;
主人让我在这个几个星期荒废的客厅里点上一堆火,并在阳光下摆放一把舒适的椅子; —

and then he brought her down, and she sat a long while enjoying the genial heat, and, as we expected, revived by the objects round her:
然后他把她带下来,她坐了很久享受着温暖的热量,并如我们所料由周围的景物中恢复过来。 —

which, though familiar, were free from the dreary associations investing her hated sick chamber.
尽管熟悉,但它们与她憎恶的病床没有令人厌倦的联系。到了晚上, —

By evening she seemed greatly exhausted;
她似乎非常疲惫; —

yet no arguments could persuade her to return to that apartment, and I had to arrange the parlour sofa for her bed, till another room could be prepared.
然而,没有任何争论能说服她返回那个房间,我不得不把客厅的沙发安排成她的床,直到另一个房间可以准备好为止。 —

To obviate the fatigue of mounting and descending the stairs, we fitted up this, where you lie at present—on the same floor with the parlour;
为了避免上下楼梯的疲劳,我们在这里装饰了这个房间,你现在就躺在与客厅同一层楼上的房间里; —

and she was soon strong enough to move from one to the other, leaning on Edgar’s arm.
她很快就足够强壮,可以倚靠着爱德加的手臂从一个房间走到另一个房间。 —

Ah, I thought myself, she might recover, so waited on as she was.
啊,我想,她可能会康复的,就像她现在这样被照顾着。 —

And there was double cause to desire it, for on her existence depended that of another:
而且有双重原因渴望这一点,因为另一个人的存在取决于她的存在:我们怀抱着希望,不久之后林顿先生的心会变得高兴,他的土地会免受陌生人的控制,因为他将有一个继承人的诞生。 —

we cherished the hope that in a little while Mr. Linton’s heart would be gladdened, and his lands secured from a stranger’s gripe, by the birth of an heir.
我们怀抱着希望,不久之后林顿先生的心会变得高兴,他的土地会免受陌生人的控制,因为他将有一个继承人的诞生。

I should mention that Isabella sent to her brother, some six weeks from her departure, a short note, announcing her marriage with Heathcliff.
我应该提一下,伊莎贝拉在离开了六周后,给她的弟弟发了一封简短的便条,宣布她与希斯克里夫结婚了。 —

It appeared dry and cold;
便条上看起来干燥冷淡, —

but at the bottom was dotted in with pencil an obscure apology, and an entreaty for kind remembrance and reconciliation, if her proceeding had offended him:
但在底部用铅笔隐约地写着一句道歉和请求,希望她的行动没有冒犯到他,请求他的宽恕与和解。 —

asserting that she could not help it then, and being done, she had now no power to repeal it.
她声称当时她无法控制自己,而事情既然已经发生,她现在也无力去撤销。 —

Linton did not reply to this, I believe;
我相信林顿并没有回复这封信。 —

and, in a fortnight more, I got a long letter, which I considered odd, coming from the pen of a bride just out of the honeymoon.
过了两周,我收到了一封长信,我觉得很奇怪,因为这封信是一名刚度过蜜月的新娘写的。 —

I’ll read it: for I keep it yet.
我会读给你听,因为我一直都保留着。 —

Any relic of the dead is precious, if they were valued living.
逝者的任何遗物都是珍贵的,尤其是在他们还活着时受到重视。


* * * * *

DEAR ELLEN, it begins,—I came last night to Wuthering Heights, and heard, for the first time, that Catherine has been, and is yet, very ill.
亲爱的艾伦,信的开头写道,昨晚我来到了呼啸山庄,第一次听说凯瑟琳病得很重。 —

I must not write to her, I suppose, and my brother is either too angry or too distressed to answer what I sent him.
我想我不能给她写信,而我的弟弟要么太生气了,要么太心痛以至于没有回复我发给他的信。 —

Still, I must write to somebody, and the only choice left me is you.
不过,我还是必须给某人写信,而现在唯一的选择就是你。

Inform Edgar that I’d give the world to see his face again—that my heart returned to Thrushcross Grange in twenty-four hours after I left it, and is there at this moment, full of warm feelings for him, and Catherine!
告诉埃德加,我愿意为了再次见到他愿意付出一切——我离开茨鲁斯克兰奇后的24小时内,我的心就回到了那里,此刻充满了对他和凯瑟琳的温暖情感! —

I can’t follow it though—(these words are underlined)—they need not expect me, and they may draw what conclusions they please;
不过我无法跟随——(这些话被划了线)——他们不需要期望我,他们可以得出任何他们想要的结论; —

taking care, however, to lay nothing at the door of my weak will or deficient affection.
然而请注意,不要将我薄弱的意志或不足的感情归咎于我。

The remainder of the letter is for yourself alone.
信的其余部分只有给你一个人看。 —

I want to ask you two questions:
我有两个问题要问你: —

the first is,—How did you contrive to preserve the common sympathies of human nature when you resided here?
第一个问题是——你在这里居住时是如何保持与人类一般的共情的? —

I cannot recognise any sentiment which those around share with me.
我无法认同身边的人与我分享的任何情感。

The second question I have great interest in;
我对第二个问题非常感兴趣; —

it is this—Is Mr. Heathcliff a man? If so, is he mad? And if not, is he a devil?
就是这个——希斯克里夫先生是人吗?如果是,他疯了吗?如果不是,他是个魔鬼吗? —

I sha’n’t tell my reasons for making this inquiry;
我不打算告诉你为什么要进行这个询问;但我恳求你, —

but I beseech you to explain, if you can, what I have married:
如果你能的话,请解释一下我所嫁的是什么。 —

that is, when you call to see me;
也就是说,当你来看我时; —

and you must call, Ellen, very soon.
你必须来,艾伦,非常快。 —

Don’t write, but come, and bring me something from Edgar.
不要写信,而是来看我,并给我带些埃德加的东西。

Now, you shall hear how I have been received in my new home, as I am led to imagine the Heights will be.
现在,你将听到我在新家里的接待情况,我认为“荒原”也将是这样。 —

It is to amuse myself that I dwell on such subjects as the lack of external comforts:
我只是为了自娱自乐而谈论这些缺乏外在舒适的事情: —

they never occupy my thoughts, except at the moment when I miss them.
除了在我错过它们的那一刻,它们从不占据我的思绪。 —

I should laugh and dance for joy, if I found their absence was the total of my miseries, and the rest was an unnatural dream!
如果我发现它们的缺席就是我的全部不幸,并且其余的只是一场不自然的梦,我会笑着欢舞!

The sun set behind the Grange as we turned on to the moors;
当我们转入荒原时,太阳在庄园后方下山; —

by that, I judged it to be six o’clock;
根据那个时刻,我判断是六点钟; —

and my companion halted half an hour, to inspect the park, and the gardens, and, probably, the place itself, as well as he could;
我的伴侣停了半个小时,来检查公园、花园,可能也会尽其所能地查看这个地方本身; —

so it was dark when we dismounted in the paved yard of the farmhouse, and your old fellow-servant, Joseph, issued out to receive us by the light of a dip candle.
所以当我们下马进入农舍铺就的院子时,天已经黑了,你的老仆人约瑟夫拿着一支蜡烛出来迎接我们。 —

He did it with a courtesy that redounded to his credit.
他非常客气,这使他的品行得到了体现。 —

His first act was to elevate his torch to a level with my face, squint malignantly, project his under-lip, and turn away.
他首先将火炬举到我的脸前,恶狠狠地斜眼看着我,突出下唇后就转身离开了。 —

Then he took the two horses, and led them into the stables;
然后他带走了两匹马,把它们领进了马厩; —

reappearing for the purpose of locking the outer gate, as if we lived in an ancient castle.
然后又重新出现,将外门锁上,好像我们住在一座古堡里一样。

Heathcliff stayed to speak to him, and I entered the kitchen—a dingy, untidy hole;
希斯克里夫留下与他交谈,而我走进了厨房——一个肮脏、凌乱的地方; —

I daresay you would not know it, it is so changed since it was in your charge.
我猜你现在可能认不出来,因为它与你负责时相比已经发生了很大的改变。 —

By the fire stood a ruffianly child, strong in limb and dirty in garb, with a look of Catherine in his eyes and about his mouth.
火炉旁站着一个粗暴的孩子,肢体强壮、衣着肮脏,眼睛和嘴角带着凯瑟琳的样子。

“This is Edgar’s legal nephew, ” I reflected—“mine in a manner;
“这是埃德加的合法侄子,”我想,“在某种程度上也是我的; —

I must shake hands, and—yes—I must kiss him.
我必须与他握手,而且,是的,我必须亲他一下。 —

It is right to establish a good understanding at the beginning.”
从一开始就建立良好的理解关系是正确的。”

I approached, and, attempting to take his chubby fist, said—“How do you do, my dear?”
我走上前去,试图抓住他胖胖的拳头,说道:“亲爱的,你好吗?”

He replied in a jargon I did not comprehend.
他用我听不懂的行话回答我。

“Shall you and I be friends, Hareton?
“哈里顿,你愿意和我做朋友吗? —

” was my next essay at conversation.
” 这是我接下来的尝试交谈。

An oath, and a threat to set Throttler on me if I did not “frame off” rewarded my perseverance.
因为我坚持不懈,我得到了一声誓言,并威胁要让Throttler扑向我。

“Hey, Throttler, lad!” whispered the little wretch, rousing a half-bred bull-dog from its lair in a corner.
“嘿,小家伙!” 恶作剧的小家伙在角落里叫醒了一只杂种牛狗。 —

“Now, wilt thou be ganging?” he asked authoritatively.
“现在,你要走吗?” 他以命令的口吻问道。

Love for my life urged a compliance;
对生命的热爱促使我同意。 —

I stepped over the threshold to wait till the others should enter.
我跨进门槛等待其他人进入。 —

Mr. Heathcliff was nowhere visible;
希斯克里夫先生不见了。 —

and Joseph, whom I followed to the stables, and requested to accompany me in, after staring and muttering to himself, screwed up his nose and replied—“Mim!
我跟随约瑟夫走进了马厩,并请求他跟我一起进去,他一边盯着我嘀咕着,一边皱着鼻子回答道:“嗯!嗯!嗯! 有哪个基督徒听过这样的话?矫揉造作的口吃!” —

mim! mim! Did iver Christian body hear aught like it?
“我怎么能知道你在说什么? —

Mincing un’ munching!
” —

How can I tell whet ye say?”
我只好求助别人和我一起进去。

“I say, I wish you to come with me into the house!
“我说,我希望你跟我进屋!”我喊道, —

” I cried, thinking him deaf, yet highly disgusted at his rudeness.
觉得他耳背,但对他的粗鲁行为感到非常恶心。

“None o’ me! I getten summut else to do, ” he answered, and continued his work;
“一边儿去!我还有其他事情要做。”他回答道,继续他的工作; —

moving his lantern jaws meanwhile, and surveying my dress and countenance (the former a great deal too fine, but the latter, I’m sure, as sad as he could desire) with sovereign contempt.
与此同时,他移动着衰退的下颌,以至于傲慢地审视着我的衣着和表情(前者过于华丽,但我敢肯定后者一定很悲伤)。

I walked round the yard, and through a wicket, to another door, at which I took the liberty of knocking, in hopes some more civil servant might show himself.
我绕着院子走了一圈,通过一个小门,来到另一扇门前,我也毫不客气地敲了敲,希望能见到更有礼貌的仆人。 —

After a short suspense, it was opened by a tall, gaunt man, without neckerchief, and otherwise extremely slovenly;
经过短暂的等待,门被一位高大而懒散的男人打开了,他没有系围巾,整个人都非常邋遢; —

his features were lost in masses of shaggy hair that hung on his shoulders;
他的面容被一头长发遮住了,长发垂在他的肩膀上; —

and his eyes, too, were like a ghostly Catherine’s with all their beauty annihilated.
他的眼睛也像一个幽灵般的凯瑟琳那样,所有的美丽都消失了。

“What’s your business here?
“你在这儿有什么事?”他问道, —

” he demanded, grimly. “Who are you?”
冷漠地说道。“你是谁?”

“My name was Isabella Linton,” I replied.
“我原来的名字是伊莎贝拉·林顿,”我回答道。 —

“You’ve seen me before, sir.
“先生,您以前见过我。 —

I’m lately married to Mr. Heathcliff, and he has brought me here—I suppose by your permission.”
最近嫁给了希斯克利夫先生,他带我来到这里—我猜是经过您的允许。”

“Is he come back, then?
他回来了吗?”隐士问道, —

” asked the hermit, glaring like a hungry wolf.
像一只饥饿的狼一样瞪着眼睛。

“Yes—we came just now,” I said;
是的—我们刚才到的,”我说。 —

“but he left me by the kitchen door;
“但是他把我留在厨房门口; —

and when I would have gone in, your little boy played sentinel over the place, and frightened me off by the help of a bull-dog.”
我想进去时,你们的小孩子守在那里,还有一条斗牛犬吓走了我。”

“It’s well the hellish villain has kept his word!
这该死的恶棍果然守信了! —

” growled my future host, searching the darkness beyond me in expectation of discovering Heathcliff;
”我的未来主人咆哮着,期望着在我身后的黑暗中发现希斯克利夫; —

and then he indulged in a soliloquy of execrations, and threats of what he would have done had the “fiend” deceived him.
后他自言自语地咒骂着,并威胁着如果“恶魔”欺骗了他,他会怎样对付他。

I repented having tried this second entrance, and was almost inclined to slip away before he finished cursing, but ere I could execute that intention, he ordered me in, and shut and re-fastened the door.
后悔尝试这第二个入口,几乎有些想溜走,但是还没来得及执行那个打算,他命令我进去,并关闭并重新锁上了门。 —

There was a great fire, and that was all the light in the huge apartment, whose floor had grown a uniform grey;
这间巨大的公寓里只有烈火闪烁着,成了独特的光亮,整个地板已经变成了一片灰色; —

and the once brilliant pewter-dishes, which used to attract my gaze when I was a girl, partook of a similar obscurity, created by tarnish and dust.
曾经耀眼的锡器,当我还是个女孩时总能吸引我的目光,如今也变得昏暗不堪,被污垢和尘土覆盖着。 —

I inquired whether I might call the maid, and be conducted to a bedroom!
我询问是否可以叫女仆,带我去卧室! —

Mr. Earnshaw vouchsafed no answer.
尤尔夫先生没有给予任何回答。 —

He walked up and down, with his hands in his pockets, apparently quite forgetting my presence;
他双手插兜地来回走动,显然完全忘记了我的存在; —

and his abstraction was evidently so deep, and his whole aspect so misanthropical, that I shrank from disturbing him again.
他的心思显然相当深沉,整个人都透着厌世的气息,我不敢再打扰他了。

You’ll not be surprised, Ellen, at my feeling particularly cheerless, seated in worse than solitude on that inhospitable hearth, and remembering that four miles distant lay my delightful home, containing the only people I loved on earth;
艾伦,你肯定不会觉得奇怪,我感到格外寂寞,独自坐在这个不友好的壁炉旁,想着我离这里四英里的美好家园,那里有我在这世上唯一所爱的人; —

and there might as well be the Atlantic to part us, instead of those four miles:
这四英里对我们来说就像大西洋一样,无法逾越! —

I could not overpass them!

I questioned with myself—where must I turn for comfort?
我与自己对话——我必须转向哪里寻求安慰呢? —

and—mind you don’t tell Edgar, or Catherine—above every sorrow beside, this rose pre-eminent:
注意,不要告诉埃德加或者凯瑟琳——除去所有的悲伤之外,这个问题非常突出: —

despair at finding nobody who could or would be my ally against Heathcliff!
我绝望地发现没有人能够或者愿意成为我反对希斯克利夫的伙伴! —

I had sought shelter at Wuthering Heights, almost gladly, because I was secured by that arrangement from living alone with him;
我几乎欣然寻求在呼啸山庄的庇护,因为这样一来我就不会独自与他相处了; —

but he knew the people we were coming amongst, and he did not fear their intermeddling.
但他了解我们即将面对的人们,并且他并不害怕他们的干涉。

I sat and thought a doleful time: the clock struck eight, and nine, and still my companion paced to and fro, his head bent on his breast, and perfectly silent, unless a groan or a bitter ejaculation forced itself out at intervals.
我坐着思考了很长一段时间:钟声敲响了八点,然后是九点,而我的伴侣依然来回踱步,低着头完全保持沉默,除非偶尔发出一声呻吟或者痛苦的感叹。 —

I listened to detect a woman’s voice in the house, and filled the interim with wild regrets and dismal anticipations, which, at last, spoke audibly in irrepressible sighing and weeping.
我倾听着,试图听到屋里的女声,而此时则充满了狂野的遗憾和可怕的预感,最后,在无法压抑的叹息和哭泣中,这些遗憾和预感得以清晰地表达出来。 —

I was not aware how openly I grieved, till Earnshaw halted opposite, in his measured walk, and gave me a stare of newly-awakened surprise.
我之前从没意识到我会如此公开地悲伤,直到恩肖走过来停下来,他的步伐有序地走动着,并给了我一个惊讶的凝视。 —

Taking advantage of his recovered attention, I exclaimed—“I’m tired with my journey, and I want to go to bed!
趁着他重新注意到我,我大声喊道:“我旅途劳累,想要去睡觉!请问女佣在哪儿?带我去找她,她似乎不愿意来找我!” —

Where is the maid-servant? Direct me to her, as she won’t come to me!”
“我们没有女佣,”他回答道,“你得自己动手!”

“We have none,” he answered;
“那我该在哪儿睡觉?”我哭诉道, —

“you must wait on yourself!”
我已经不再在意自尊,被疲惫和痛苦压垮。

“Where must I sleep, then?” I sobbed;
“约瑟夫会带你去希思克里夫的房间, —

I was beyond regarding self-respect, weighed down by fatigue and wretchedness.
”他说道,“打开那扇门——他在里面。”

“Joseph will show you Heathcliff’s chamber, ” said he; “open that door—he’s in there.”
我本来要听从他的话,但他突然拦住了我,并以一种奇怪的口吻补充道:“请你把门锁上,并拉上闩——不能遗漏!”

I was going to obey, but he suddenly arrested me, and added in the strangest tone—“Be so good as to turn your lock, and draw your bolt—don’t omit it!”
“Joseph will show you Heathcliff’s chamber,” he said. “Open that door – he’s in there.”

“Well!” I said. “But why, Mr. Earnshaw?
“嗯!”我说道。“但是,为什么, —

” I did not relish the notion of deliberately fastening myself in with Heathcliff.
尤尔河先生?”我并不喜欢与希斯克利夫故意关在一起的念头。

“Look here!” he replied, pulling from his waistcoat a curiously-constructed pistol, having a double-edged spring knife attached to the barrel.
“你瞧!”他回答道,从背心口袋里拿出一把构造特别奇特的手枪,枪管上附有一把双刃刀。 —

“That’s a great tempter to a desperate man, is it not?
“对一个绝望的人来说,这是个巨大的诱惑,不是吗? —

I cannot resist going up with this every night, and trying his door.
我每天晚上都忍不住拿着这个去试着打开他的门。 —

If once I find it open he’s done for; I do it invariably, even though the minute before I have been recalling a hundred reasons that should make me refrain:
一旦我发现门开着,他就完蛋了;我会毫不例外地那样做,尽管在那一刻之前我已经回想过一百个应该让我克制的理由: —

it is some devil that urges me to thwart my own schemes by killing him.
总有个恶魔在推动我通过杀死他来妨碍我自己的计划。 —

You fight against that devil for love as long as you may;
你可以尽可能地为了爱而与那个恶魔作斗争; —

when the time comes, not all the angels in heaven shall save him!”
但当时机到来时,天上所有的天使都无法拯救他!”

I surveyed the weapon inquisitively.
我好奇地审视着这个武器。 —

A hideous notion struck me:
一个可怕的念头涌上心头: —

how powerful I should be possessing such an instrument!
如果拥有这样的武器,我将变得多么强大! —

I took it from his hand, and touched the blade.
我从他手中接过,触摸了刀锋。 —

He looked astonished at the expression my face assumed during a brief second:
他对我脸上短暂的表情感到惊讶: —

it was not horror, it was covetousness.
这不是恐惧,而是贪婪。 —

He snatched the pistol back, jealously;
他妒忌地夺回了手枪; —

shut the knife, and returned it to its concealment.
合上刀子,将它藏回原处。

“I don’t care if you tell him,” said he.
“我不在乎你告诉他,”他说。 —

“Put him on his guard, and watch for him.
“让他保持警惕,留意他。 —

You know the terms we are on, I see:
我看出你和他保持着什么关系: —

his danger does not shock you.”
他的危险并没有震惊你。”

“What has Heathcliff done to you?” I asked.
“希斯克利夫对你做了什么?”我问。 —

“In what has he wronged you, to warrant this appalling hatred?
“他怎么冤枉了你,值得你如此可怕的仇恨?” —

Wouldn’t it be wiser to bid him quit the house?”
让他离开房子不是更明智吗?”

“No!” thundered Earnshaw;
“不!”恩肖怒吼道。 —

“should he offer to leave me, he’s a dead man:
“如果他敢离开我,他是个死人: —

persuade him to attempt it, and you are a murderess!
说服他试一试,你就是个杀人凶手! —

Am I to lose all, without a chance of retrieval?
我要失去一切,一点挽救的机会都没有吗? —

Is Hareton to be a beggar? Oh, damnation!
哈里顿要成了乞丐吗?哦,该死! —

I will have it back; and I’ll have his gold too;
我要把它拿回来;我还会拿走他的金子; —

and then his blood; and hell shall have his soul!
然后他的鲜血;地狱将会拥有他的灵魂! —

It will be ten times blacker with that guest than ever it was before!”
那个客人会比以前更加黑暗十倍!

You’ve acquainted me, Ellen, with your old master’s habits.
你告诉我了,艾伦,你老主人的习惯。 —

He is clearly on the verge of madness:
他显然快要发疯了: —

he was so last night at least.
至少昨晚他是这样的。 —

I shuddered to be near him, and thought on the servant’s ill-bred moroseness as comparatively agreeable.
我感到害怕待在他身边,觉得仆人的粗鲁和阴郁相比是相对可接受的。 —

He now recommenced his moody walk, and I raised the latch, and escaped into the kitchen.
他现在重新开始那种忧郁的步行,我推开门闩,逃到了厨房。 —

Joseph was bending over the fire, peering into a large pan that swung above it;
约瑟夫正在弯腰看着火,凝视着一个悬挂在上面的大平底锅; —

and a wooden bowl of oatmeal stood on the settle close by.
旁边靠近靠垫上有一个木碗装着燕麦片。 —

The contents of the pan began to boil, and he turned to plunge his hand into the bowl;
锅里的东西开始煮沸了,他转身准备伸手进碗里; —

I conjectured that this preparation was probably for our supper, and, being hungry, I resolved it should be eatable;
我猜想这准备可能是我们的晚餐,而且我饿了,我决定它应该能吃; —

so, crying out sharply, “I’ll make the porridge!
所以,尖声喊道,“我来煮粥! —

” I removed the vessel out of his reach, and proceeded to take off my hat and riding-habit.
”我把容器放在他够不到的地方,然后开始脱下我的帽子和骑行服装。 —

“Mr. Earnshaw,” I continued, “directs me to wait on myself:
“伊恩肖先生,”我继续说道,“要求我自己照料自己:我会照做。 —

I will.
” —

I’m not going to act the lady among you, for fear I should starve.”
“我不会在你们面前摆架子,因为我怕我会饿死。”

“Gooid Lord!” he muttered, sitting down, and stroking his ribbed stockings from the knee to the ankle.
“天哪!”他嘟囔着坐下来,用手从膝盖抚摸到脚脖子。 —

“If there’s to be fresh ortherings—just when I getten used to two maisters, if I mun hev’ a mistress set o’er my heead, it’s like time to be flitting.
“如果要来一个新的女主人——就在我刚刚适应了两个主人的时候,如果我必须在头上再加上一个女主人,那就该搬家了。 —

I niver did think to see t’ day that I mud lave th’ owld place—but I doubt it’s nigh at hand!”
“我从来没有想过有一天我会离开这个老地方——但我怀疑那一天已经近在眼前!”

This lamentation drew no notice from me:
我对他的悲伤毫不在意: —

I went briskly to work, sighing to remember a period when it would have been all merry fun;
我轻快地开始工作,叹息着回忆起过去那段都是快乐的时光; —

but compelled speedily to drive off the remembrance.
但我却迫不及待地将那段回忆赶走。 —

It racked me to recall past happiness and the greater peril there was of conjuring up its apparition, the quicker the thible ran round, and the faster the handfuls of meal fell into the water.
回忆过去的幸福折磨着我,而召唤它的幽灵的危险越大,纺车转得越快,面粉也越快地倒进水里。 —

Joseph beheld my style of cookery with growing indignation.
约瑟夫越来越愤怒地看着我烹饪的方式。

“Thear!” he ejaculated. “Hareton, thou willn’t sup thy porridge to-neeght;
“喂!”他喊道。“哈里顿,你今晚不需要吃你的粥了; —

they’ll be naught but lumps as big as my neive.
它们只会是我拳头那么大的一堆块。 —

Thear, agean!
去吧! —

I’d fling in bowl un’ all, if I wer ye! There, pale t’ guilp off, un’ then ye’ll hae done wi’t.
如果我是你,我就把碗也扔进去!这样,你就能把它吃完了。 —

Bang, bang. It’s a mercy t’ bothom isn’t deaved out!”
“砰,砰。”真是个奇迹底崩开了呢!”

It was rather a rough mess, I own, when poured into the basins;
我承认,当倒进碗里的时候,它确实有些粗糙; —

four had been provided, and a gallon pitcher of new milk was brought from the dairy, which Hareton seized and commenced drinking and spilling from the expansive lip.
提供了四个碗,还有一个加仑的新鲜牛奶瓶从奶牛场拿来,哈里顿拿过来喝,边喝边洒。 —

I expostulated, and desired that he should have his in a mug; affirming that I could not taste the liquid treated so dirtily.
我争辩着,要求他用杯子喝;我说这样弄脏的液体我无法品尝。 —

The old cynic chose to be vastly offended at this nicety;
这位老顽固选择极度生气; —

assuring me, repeatedly, that “the barn was every bit as good” as I, “and every bit as wollsome, ” and wondering how I could fashion to be so conceited.
一再地向我保证“谷仓一点也不比我差”,“一点也不比我好”,并惊讶地想知道我怎么能这么自大。 —

Meanwhile, the infant ruffian continued sucking;
与此同时,这个婴儿暴徒继续吮吸, —

and glowered up at me defyingly, as he slavered into the jug.
他凶恶地瞪着我,口水流入了罐子里。

“I shall have my supper in another room,” I said.
“我要在另一个房间里吃晚饭,”我说。 —

“Have you no place you call a parlour?”
“你们没有一个叫做客厅的地方吗?”

Parlour!” he echoed, sneeringly, “parlour! Nay, we’ve noa parlours.
“客厅!”他嘲笑地重复道,“客厅!不,我们没有客厅。” —

If yah dunnut loike wer company, there’s maister’s;
“如果你不喜欢我们的陪伴,可以去找主人, —

un’ if yah dunnut loike maister, there’s us.”
如果你不喜欢主人,可以找我们。”

“Then I shall go upstairs, ” I answered; “show me a chamber.”
“那么我就上楼了,”我回答道,“给我指一间房。”

I put my basin on a tray, and went myself to fetch some more milk.
我把碗放在托盘上,亲自去拿些牛奶。 —

With great grumblings, the fellow rose, and preceded me in my ascent:
人家带着不满,站起身来,引导着我上楼: —

we mounted to the garrets;
我们走到了阁楼; —

he opened a door, now and then, to look into the apartments we passed.
他间或打开一扇门,往里面看了看穿过的房间。

“Here’s a rahm,” he said, at last, flinging back a cranky board on hinges.
“这是一个房间,”他最后说着,把一个生锈的板门打了回去。 —

“It’s weel eneugh to ate a few porridge in.
“它完全足够吃几碗粥了。 —

There’s a pack o’ corn i’ t’ corner, thear, meeterly clane;
角落里有一袋玉米,那儿挺干净的。” —

if ye’re feared o’ muckying yer grand silk cloes, spread yer hankerchir o’ t’ top on’t.”
如果你怕弄脏了你的华丽丝绸衣服,就将手帕平铺在上面。

The “rahm” was a kind of lumber-hole smelling strong of malt and grain;
这个“rahm”是一种碗积木房间,闻起来浓重的麦芽和谷物味; —

various sacks of which articles were piled around, leaving a wide, bare space in the middle.
各种袋子里放着这些东西,空间中央宽阔而空旷。

“Why, man,” I exclaimed, facing him angrily, “this is not a place to sleep in.
“咦,人啊,”我生气地面对他说,“这不是一个睡觉的地方。 —

I wish to see my bed-room.”
我想看看我的卧室。”

Bed-rume!” he repeated, in a tone of mockery.
“卧室!”他嘲笑地重复道, —

“Yah’s see all t’ bed-rumes thear is—yon’s mine.”
“你们能看到所有的卧室——那边是我的。”

He pointed into the second garret, only differing from the first in being more naked about the walls, and having a large, low, curtainless bed, with an indigo-coloured quilt, at one end.
他指着第二个阁楼,只不过和第一个阁楼的不同之处在于墙壁更加光秃秃,床是一张大大的、没有帘子、有一床靛蓝色被子的床。

“What do I want with yours?” I retorted.
“我干嘛要你的卧室?”我反驳道。 —

“I suppose Mr. Heathcliff does not lodge at the top of the house, does he?”
“希斯克里夫先生不会住在楼顶的吧?”

“Oh! it’s Maister Hathecliff’s ye’re wanting?
“哦!原来你想找的是希斯克里夫先生? —

” cried he, as if making a new discovery.
”他喊道,仿佛发现了新大陆。 —

“Couldn’t ye ha’ said soa, at onst?
“你不能一开始就说吗?” —

un’ then, I mud ha’ telled ye, baht all this wark, that that’s just one ye cannut see—he allas keeps it locked, un’ nob’dy iver mells on’t but hisseln.”
“约瑟夫,我不得不告诉你一件事情,这些工作之外,还有一件你看不到的东西——他总是把它锁起来,除了他自己,没有人会触碰。”

“You’ve a nice house, Joseph, ” I could not refrain from observing, “and pleasant inmates;
“约瑟夫,你家真漂亮,住的人也很开心; —

and I think the concentrated essence of all the madness in the world took up its abode in my brain the day I linked my fate with theirs!
我觉得世界上所有的疯狂都在我与他们共度的那一天汇集在我的大脑里! —

However, that is not to the present purpose—there are other rooms.
然而,这不是现在的关键——还有其他房间。 —

For heaven’s sake be quick, and let me settle somewhere!”
求求你,快点让我找个地方安顿下来吧!”

He made no reply to this adjuration;
他对这个请求没有回答, —

only plodding doggedly down the wooden steps, and halting before an apartment which, from that halt and the superior quality of its furniture, I conjectured to be the best one.
只是顽强地沿着木梯一步步走下去,在一间根据他的停顿和家具的高质量推测是最好的房间前停下来。 —

There was a carpet—a good one, but the pattern was obliterated by dust;
这里有地毯——一块不错的地毯,但花纹已经因为灰尘而模糊不清; —

a fireplace hung with cut-paper, dropping to pieces;
壁炉上挂着剪纸,已经破碎。 —

a handsome oak-bedstead with ample crimson curtains of rather expensive material and modern make;
一个英俊的橡木床架,配有富丽堂皇的红色窗帘,材质相当昂贵,做工也十分现代; —

but they had evidently experienced rough usage:
但显然它们经历过粗暴的使用。 —

the vallances hung in festoons, wrenched from their rings, and the iron rod supporting them was bent in an arc on one side, causing the drapery to trail upon the floor.
窗帘披巾被从环上拽下,支撑它们的铁棒一侧呈弧形弯曲,导致窗帘拖在地板上。 —

The chairs were also damaged, many of them severely;
椅子也受损,其中许多严重受损, —

and deep indentations deformed the panels of the walls.
深深的凹痕在墙板上形成了破损。 —

I was endeavouring to gather resolution for entering and taking possession, when my fool of a guide announced, —“This here is t’ maister’s.
当我试图鼓起勇气进去并占据这个地方时,我的蠢货导游报告说:“这就是主人的房间。” —

” My supper by this time was cold, my appetite gone, and my patience exhausted.
此时我的晚餐已经冷掉了,我的胃口也没了,我也耐心已经耗尽。 —

I insisted on being provided instantly with a place of refuge, and means of repose.
我坚决要求立即提供我一个避难所和休息的地方。

“Whear the divil?” began the religious elder.
“到哪儿去呢?”宗教长老开始说。 —

“The Lord bless us! The Lord forgie us!
“上帝保佑我们!上帝原谅我们! —

Whear the hell wold ye gang?
你要去哪个‘地狱’?你弄坏了, —

ye marred, wearisome nowt!
烦人的东西! —

Ye’ve seen all but Hareton’s bit of a cham’er.
你已经看到了除了Hareton的房间之外的每一个地方。 —

There’s not another hoile to lig down in i’ th’ hahse!”
房子里没有其他的地方可以躺下了!

I was so vexed, I flung my tray and its contents on the ground;
我非常生气,我把托盘和里面的东西摔在了地上; —

and then seated myself at the stairs’-head, hid my face in my hands, and cried.
然后我坐在楼梯口,用双手捂着脸哭了起来。

“Ech! ech!” exclaimed Joseph. “Weel done, Miss Cathy!
约瑟夫惊呼道:“噢!噢!凯瑟琳小姐做得好!做得好!主人看到这些破碎的碗碟肯定会大发雷霆; —

weel done, Miss Cathy! Howsiver, t’ maister sall just tum’le o’er them brocken pots;
你这个无用的疯丫头!你应该因为这个而在圣诞节之前受罪,把上帝宝贵的礼物扔在地上发脾气!” —

un’ then we’s hear summut;
他继续数落着走回了他的巢穴, —

we’s hear how it’s to be.
带着蜡烛走了。 —

Gooid-for-naught madling!
而我却留在了黑暗中。 —

ye desarve pining fro’ this to Churstmas, flinging t’ precious gifts uh God under fooit i’ yer flaysome rages!
你要是再表现得这样骄傲,我可保证希斯克利夫不会让你好过。我真希望他能抓到你的把柄,我真希望他能抓到。” —

But I’m mista’en if ye shew yer sperrit lang.
我看你不会保持这么高傲的态度多久。 —

Will Hathecliff bide sich bonny ways, think ye?
你觉得希斯克利夫会忍受你这样的美丽吗? —

I nobbut wish he may catch ye i’ that plisky.
我只是希望他能逮到你在那个笨拙的状态下。 —

I nobbut wish he may.”
我只是希望他能逮到。”

And so he went on scolding to his den beneath, taking the candle with him;
于是他继续责骂着回到了他的巢穴,带着蜡烛。 —

and I remained in the dark.
而我则留在黑暗中。 —

The period of reflection succeeding this silly action compelled me to admit the necessity of smothering my pride and choking my wrath, and bestirring myself to remove its effects.
在这个愚蠢行为后的反思期让我不得不承认扼杀自己的骄傲和控制自己的愤怒的必要性,让我努力消除其影响。 —

An unexpected aid presently appeared in the shape of Throttler, whom I now recognised as a son of our old Skulker:
意外的帮助以Throttler的形式出现,我认出它是我们旧Skulker的儿子。 —

it had spent its whelphood at the Grange, and was given by my father to Mr. Hindley.
它在Grange度过了幼年时期,并被我父亲送给了Hindley先生。 —

I fancy it knew me:
我想它认出了我。 —

it pushed its nose against mine by way of salute, and then hastened to devour the porridge;
它用鼻子轻轻碰了碰我的鼻子作为问候,然后迅速吃掉了粥。 —

while I groped from step to step, collecting the shattered earthenware, and drying the spatters of milk from the banister with my pocket-handkerchief.
而我则一步一步摸索着,收集着碎瓷器,用手帕把楼梯扶手上的牛奶污渍擦干。我们的劳动刚刚结束, —

Our labours were scarcely over when I heard Earnshaw’s tread in the passage;
我就听到了Earnshaw在走廊里的脚步声。 —

my assistant tucked in his tail, and pressed to the wall;
我的助手把尾巴夹了起来,靠在墙上; —

I stole into the nearest doorway.
我偷偷躲进最近的门口。 —

The dog’s endeavour to avoid him was unsuccessful;
狗避开他的努力是失败的。 —

as I guessed by a scutter downstairs, and a prolonged, piteous yelping. I had better luck: he passed on, entered his chamber, and shut the door.
正如我所猜测的,我听到了楼下蹑手蹑脚的声音和持久的悲鸣。我运气更好一些:他经过了,进了他的房间,然后关上了门。 —

Directly after Joseph came up with Hareton, to put him to bed.
紧接着,约瑟夫带着哈瑞顿上来,准备让他上床睡觉。 —

I had found shelter in Hareton’s room, and the old man, on seeing me, said,—“They’s rahm for boath ye un’ yer pride, now, I sud think i’ the hahse.
我在哈瑞顿的房间找到了庇护,当老人看到我时,他说:“这里能容下你和你的骄傲了,我想在这个房子里。 —

It’s empty; ye may hev’ it all to yerseln, un’ Him as allas maks a third, i’ sich ill company!”
这个房间是空的,你可以独自占用它,还有那个总是与我们共度的他,在这个糟糕的环境中!”

Gladly did I take advantage of this intimation;
我欣然接受了这个暗示, —

and the minute I flung myself into a chair, by the fire, I nodded, and slept.
一坐到火炉旁的椅子上,我点了点头,然后睡着了。 —

My slumber was deep and sweet, though over far too soon.
我的睡眠很深而甜美,尽管时间过得太快了。 —

Mr. Heathcliff awoke me;
希思克里夫先生把我叫醒了; —

he had just come in, and demanded, in his loving manner, what I was doing there?
他刚进来,以他充满爱意的方式问我在那里干什么? —

I told him the cause of my staying up so late—that he had the key of our room in his pocket.
我告诉他我熬夜的原因——因为他把我们房间的钥匙放在了口袋里。 —

The adjective our gave mortal offence.
形容词“我们的”引起了他的极大不满。 —

He swore it was not, nor ever should be, mine;
他发誓这并不是,也永远不会是我的, —

and he’d—but I’ll not repeat his language, nor describe his habitual conduct:
他…但是我不会重复他的措辞,也不会描述他的习性。 —

he is ingenious and unresting in seeking to gain my abhorrence!
他狡猾而不停地寻求让我憎恶他! —

I sometimes wonder at him with an intensity that deadens my fear:
有时候我都对他感到惊讶,以至于忘却了恐惧。 —

yet, I assure you, a tiger or a venomous serpent could not rouse terror in me equal to that which he wakens.
然而,我向你保证,没有老虎或者有毒的蛇可以唤起我与他相等的恐惧。 —

He told me of Catherine’s illness, and accused my brother of causing it;
他告诉我凯瑟琳的病情,并指责我兄弟是造成这一切的原因; —

promising that I should be Edgar’s proxy in suffering, till he could get hold of him.
他承诺我将代替埃德加承受痛苦,直到他找到机会对付他。

I do hate him—I am wretched—I have been a fool!
我真恨他!我太痛苦了!我真是个傻瓜! —

Beware of uttering one breath of this to any one at the Grange.
请别告诉任何人在荒地上的这一切。 —

I shall expect you every day—don’t disappoint me!
我每天都会期待你的到来,别让我失望! —

—ISABELLA.
—伊莎贝拉