The hotel guests slowly entered the dining-room and took their places.
客人们缓慢地走进餐厅并就座。 —

The waiters did not hurry themselves, in order to give the late comers a chance and thus avoid the trouble of bringing in the dishes a second time.
为了给迟到的人一个机会,餐厅的服务员没有急着服务,以免不得不再次端来菜肴。 —

The old bathers, the habitues, whose season was almost over, glanced, gazed toward the door whenever it opened, to see what new faces might appear.
那些季节即将结束的老泳客们总是在每次餐厅门打开时往那边瞥一眼,看看会出现什么新面孔。

This is the principal distraction of watering places.
这就是旅游胜地的主要娱乐活动。 —

People look forward to the dinner hour in order to inspect each day’s new arrivals, to find out who they are, what they do, and what they think.
人们期待着晚餐时间,以便每天可以瞧瞧新来的客人,了解他们是谁,从事什么工作,以及他们的想法。 —

We always have a vague desire to meet pleasant people, to make agreeable acquaintances, perhaps to meet with a love adventure.
我们总是有种模糊的渴望,想要遇到愉快的人,结识愉快的朋友,甚至可能遇到一段爱情故事。 —

In this life of elbowings, unknown strangers assume an extreme importance.
在这个相互推挤的生活中,陌生人的重要性变得极高。 —

Curiosity is aroused, sympathy is ready to exhibit itself, and sociability is the order of the day.
引起好奇心,即刻展现出同情心,社交成了每天必须进行的活动。

We cherish antipathies for a week and friendships for a month;
我们对某人存有一周的厌恶,对朋友则长达一个月。 —

we see people with different eyes, when we view them through the medium of acquaintanceship at watering places.
当我们通过在水疗场所结识相识的方式看待他人时,我们会以不同的眼光看待他们。 —

We discover in men suddenly, after an hour’s chat, in the evening after dinner, under the trees in the park where the healing spring bubbles up, a high intelligence and astonishing merits, and a month afterward we have completely forgotten these new friends, who were so fascinating when we first met them.
我们在晚饭后、在公园的树下、在起泡的治愈温泉旁边聊上一小时后,突然发现这些新朋友竟然都拥有高超的智慧和惊人的优点。然而,一个月后我们已经完全忘记了这些一开始让人着迷的朋友们。

Permanent and serious ties are also formed here sooner than anywhere else.
在这里,人们也会比在其他地方更快地建立起持久而严肃的联系。他们每天都见面;他们很快地认识彼此, —

People see each other every day;
而且他们之间的感情带有长期亲密交往的甜蜜和放松。 —

they become acquainted very quickly, and their affection is tinged with the sweetness and unrestraint of long-standing intimacies.
他们之间形成的这种关系比其他地方更快,而且具有长期亲密交往的甜蜜和无拘束的特点。 —

We cherish in after years the dear and tender memories of those first hours of friendship, the memory of those first conversations in which a soul was unveiled, of those first glances which interrogate and respond to questions and secret thoughts which the mouth has not as yet uttered, the memory of that first cordial confidence, the memory of that delightful sensation of opening our hearts to those who seem to open theirs to us in return.
我们珍视着友情初生的那些小时中亲爱而温柔的回忆,回忆起那些初次交谈时灵魂彼此展露的事情,那些初次的目光相互质询和回应问题以及未开口的秘密思想,回忆起那初次亲切的信任,回忆起那种愉快的感受,将我们的心敞开给那些似乎也对我们敞开心扉的人。

And the melancholy of watering places, the monotony of days that are all alike, proves hourly an incentive to this heart expansion.
逗留地的忧郁和日复一日的单调,不断激发心灵的舒展。

Well, this evening, as on every other evening, we awaited the appearance of strange faces.
好吧,今晚和每个晚上一样,我们等待着陌生面孔的出现。

Only two appeared, but they were very remarkable, a man and a woman —father and daughter.
只有两个人出现了,但他们非常引人注目,是一个父亲和一个女儿。 —

They immediately reminded me of some of Edgar Poe’s characters;
他们立刻让我想起爱伦·坡的一些角色; —

and yet there was about them a charm, the charm associated with misfortune.
然而他们身上有一种与不幸有关的魅力。 —

I looked upon them as the victims of fate.
我将他们视为命运的受害者。 —

The man was very tall and thin, rather stooped, with perfectly white hair, too white for his comparatively youthful physiognomy;
那个男人非常高而瘦,有些驼背,有着纯白的头发,过于白皙以至于与他相对年轻的面容格格不入。 —

and there was in his bearing and in his person that austerity peculiar to Protestants.
他的举止和仪表流露出一种特有的禁欲主义,这与新教徒特有的风格不谋而合。 —

The daughter, who was probably twenty-four or twenty-five, was small in stature, and was also very thin, very pale, and she had the air of one who was worn out with utter lassitude.
女儿可能是二十四或二十五岁,身材娇小,也非常消瘦,看起来疲惫不堪。 —

We meet people like this from time to time, who seem too weak for the tasks and the needs of daily life, too weak to move about, to walk, to do all that we do every day.
我们时不时会遇到此类人,他们似乎过于虚弱应付日常生活的任务和需求,连行走都显得力不从心,无法完成我们每天所做的一切。 —

She was rather pretty; with a transparent, spiritual beauty.
她相当漂亮,带有一种透明而灵动的美。 —

And she ate with extreme slowness, as if she were almost incapable of moving her arms.
她吃饭的速度极慢,仿佛她几乎无法动弹自己的手臂。

It must have been she, assuredly, who had come to take the waters.
毫无疑问,一定是她前来沐浴疗程。

They sat facing me, on the opposite side of the table;
他们坐在我对面的桌子上, —

and I at once noticed that the father had a very singular, nervous twitching.
我立刻注意到父亲有着一种非常奇特的神经抽搐。

Every time he wanted to reach an object, his hand described a sort of zigzag before it succeeded in reaching what it was in search of, and after a little while this movement annoyed me so that I turned aside my head in order not to see it.
每次他想够到一个物体时,他的手总是以一种蜿蜒曲折的动作,才能成功够到他所寻找的东西,而不久后这种动作开始让我感到厌烦,以至于我转过头去不看它。

I noticed, too, that the young girl, during meals, wore a glove on her left hand.
我还注意到,这位年轻女孩在用餐时左手戴着手套。

After dinner I went for a stroll in the park of the bathing establishment.
晚饭后,我在浴场的公园里散步。 —

This led toward the little Auvergnese station of Chatel-Guyon, hidden in a gorge at the foot of the high mountain, from which flowed so many boiling springs, arising from the deep bed of extinct volcanoes.
这条路通向隐藏在高山脚下的夏泰盖伊昂小奥弗涅车站,这里有许多沸腾的温泉,涌出于已经消逝的火山深处。 —

Over yonder, above our heads, the domes of extinct craters lifted their ragged peaks above the rest in the long mountain chain.
在我们头顶上方,熄灭的火山口之丘呈现出其中最为崎岖的山峰。 —

For Chatel-Guyon is situated at the entrance to the land of mountain domes.
因为夏泰盖伊昂位于山峰之国的入口处。

Beyond it stretches out the region of peaks, and, farther on again the region of precipitous summits.
在它的后方延伸了峰峦之域,再远处则是陡峭之巅区域。

The “Puy de Dome” is the highest of the domes, the Peak of Sancy is the loftiest of the peaks, and Cantal is the most precipitous of these mountain heights.
“普伊德多姆山”是这些山峰中最高的圆顶山,桑西峰是最高的峰顶,而坎塔尔山是这些山峰中最陡峭的。

It was a very warm evening, and I was walking up and down a shady path, listening to the opening, strains of the Casino band, which was playing on an elevation overlooking the park.
那是一个非常温暖的夜晚,我正在一条阴凉的小道上来回走动,听着位于公园上方一个高处演奏着的赌场乐队的音乐。

And I saw the father and the daughter advancing slowly in my direction.
我看到父亲和女儿朝我这边慢慢走来。 —

I bowed as one bows to one’s hotel companions at a watering place;
我像在度假胜地向酒店同伴鞠了个躬。 —

and the man, coming to a sudden halt, said to me:
那个男人突然停下来对我说:“先生,请问您可以告诉我们一条漂亮、不陡峭的短途步行路线吗?请原谅我打扰您。”

“Could you not, monsieur, tell us of a nice walk to take, short, pretty, and not steep;
我提议向他们指引一条通过小河流经的峡谷的路线,这个深谷在两座高大嶙峋的树木丛生的山坡间形成。 —

and pardon my troubling you?”

I offered to show them the way toward the valley through which the little river flowed, a deep valley forming a gorge between two tall, craggy, wooded slopes.
他们很高兴地接受了我的提议。

They gladly accepted my offer.
我们自然而然地谈论起这些泉水的功效。

And we talked, naturally, about the virtue of the waters.
请允许我向您展示通向山谷的路,那里有一条小河流过,整个峡谷形成了一个深谷,两侧是高大的崎岖的山坡。

“Oh,” he said, “my daughter has a strange malady, the seat of which is unknown.
“哦,”他说,“我的女儿患有一种奇怪的疾病,其病源未知。 —

She suffers from incomprehensible nervous attacks.
她经常遭受难以理解的神经症发作。 —

At one time the doctors think she has an attack of heart disease, at another time they imagine it is some affection of the liver, and at another they declare it to be a disease of the spine.
有时医生们认为她是心脏病发作了,有时他们想象是肝脏的某种问题,还有时他们断定是脊椎疾病。 —

To-day this protean malady, that assumes a thousand forms and a thousand modes of attack, is attributed to the stomach, which is the great caldron and regulator of the body.
而如今这种万变不离其宗的疾病,却被归于胃,胃是身体的大锅,也是调节器。 —

This is why we have come here. For my part, I am rather inclined to think it is the nerves.
这就是我们来这里的原因。我个人而言,我倒是倾向于认为是神经有问题。 —

In any case it is very sad.”
无论如何,这真是很悲哀。”

Immediately the remembrance of the violent spasmodic movement of his hand came back to my mind, and I asked him:
我脑海中立刻浮现出他手的剧烈痉挛动作的记忆,于是我问他:

“But is this not the result of heredity?
“但这不是遗传结果吗? —

Are not your own nerves somewhat affected?”
你的神经难道没有受到影响吗?”

He replied calmly:
他平静地回答道:

“Mine? Oh, no-my nerves have always been very steady.”
“我的?哦,不,我的神经一直很稳定。”

Then, suddenly, after a pause, he went on:
然后,突然间,停顿了一下之后,他说道:

“Ah! You were alluding to the jerking movement of my hand every time I try to reach for anything?
“啊!你是在指我的手每次试图拿东西时晃动的动作吗? —

This arises from a terrible experience which I had.
这源于我曾经有过一次可怕的经历。 —

Just imagine, this daughter of mine was actually buried alive!”
想象一下,我的女儿竟然被活埋了!”

I could only utter, “Ah!
我只能说,“啊! —

” so great were my astonishment and emotion.
”我的惊讶和情感太大了。

He continued:
他继续说:

“Here is the story. It is simple.
“故事很简单。 —

Juliette had been subject for some time to serious attacks of the heart.
朱丽叶的心脏病发作了一段时间。 —

We believed that she had disease of that organ, and were prepared for the worst.
我们认为她有心脏病,做好了最坏的准备。

“One day she was carried into the house cold, lifeless, dead. She had fallen down unconscious in the garden.
“有一天,她无意识地倒在花园里,被人抬进了屋子里,冷冰冰的,死掉了。 —

The doctor certified that life was extinct.
医生证明她已经死亡。 —

I watched by her side for a day and two nights.
我在她身边守了一天两夜。 —

I laid her with my own hands in the coffin, which I accompanied to the cemetery, where she was deposited in the family vault.
我亲手把她放进棺材里,陪同着棺材到了墓地,把她葬在了家族墓地中。 —

It is situated in the very heart of Lorraine.
这个墓地位于洛林地区的中心。”

“I wished to have her interred with her jewels, bracelets, necklaces, rings, all presents which she had received from me, and wearing her first ball dress.
“我希望她入葬时带上她的珠宝,手镯、项链、戒指,还有我送她的所有礼物,穿着她第一次舞会的礼服。

“You may easily imagine my state of mind when I re-entered our home.
“当我重新回到我们的家时,你可以想象我当时的心情。 —

She was the only one I had, for my wife had been dead for many years.
她是我唯一的亲人,因为我的妻子已经去世多年了。 —

I found my way to my own apartment in a half-distracted condition, utterly exhausted, and sank into my easy-chair, without the capacity to think or the strength to move.
我在半疯狂的状态下找到了自己的房间,筋疲力尽地坐在舒适的椅子上,没有思考的能力,也没有移动的力气。 —

I was nothing better now than a suffering, vibrating machine, a human being who had, as it were, been flayed alive;
“此刻的我什么都不是,只是一个受苦、颤抖的机器,一个被剥皮的活人; —

my soul was like an open wound.
我的灵魂就像一道敞开的伤口。

“My old valet, Prosper, who had assisted me in placing Juliette in her coffin, and aided me in preparing her for her last sleep, entered the room noiselessly, and asked:
“我的老佣人普罗斯珀,他帮助我把朱丽叶放入她的棺材,并帮助我准备她最后的安息,无声无息地走进房间,问道:

“’Does monsieur want anything?’
“’先生需要什么吗?’

“I merely shook my head in reply.
“我只是摇了摇头以示回应。

“’Monsieur is wrong,’ he urged.
“’先生错了,’他劝我说。’ —

‘He will injure his health.
这会损害先生的健康。 —

Would monsieur like me to put him to bed?’
先生想要我帮他上床吗?”

“I answered: ‘No, let me alone!’
“我回答:‘不,让我一个人呆着!’

“And he left the room.
“然后他离开了房间。

“I know not how many hours slipped away. Oh, what a night, what a night! It was cold.
“我不知道多少个小时过去了。哦,多么漫长的一夜!天很冷。 —

My fire had died out in the huge grate;
巨大的壁炉里已经没有了火; —

and the wind, the winter wind, an icy wind, a winter hurricane, blew with a regular, sinister noise against the windows.
寒风,冬风,一阵冰冷的风,冬季的飓风,带着恶魔般的声响不断地吹打着窗户。

“How many hours slipped away?
“多少个小时过去了? —

There I was without sleeping, powerless, crushed, my eyes wide open, my legs stretched out, my body limp, inanimate, and my mind torpid with despair.
我在那儿,没有睡着,无助,被压垮,睁着眼睛,伸直腿,身体无力,思维麻木于绝望之中。 —

Suddenly the great doorbell, the great bell of the vestibule, rang out.
突然,大门的门铃,庭院的大钟,响了起来。

“I started so that my chair cracked under me. The solemn, ponderous sound vibrated through the empty country house as through a vault.
“我惊得椅子裂开了。郑重而沉重的声音在空荡的乡间别墅中回荡,宛如在一个墓穴中。 —

I turned round to see what the hour was by the clock.
我转身看了看钟表知道是凌晨两点。 —

It was just two in the morning.

Who could be coming at such an hour?
谁会在这样的时候来?

“And, abruptly, the bell again rang twice.
“突然,门铃又响了两声。 —

The servants, without doubt, were afraid to get up.
无疑是仆人们害怕起床了。 —

I took a wax candle and descended the stairs.
我拿着一支蜡烛下了楼。 —

I was on the point of asking:
我正要问:“谁在那里? —

‘Who is there?’

“Then I felt ashamed of my weakness, and I slowly drew back the heavy bolts.
“然后我为自己的软弱感到羞愧,慢慢地拉开沉重的门闩。 —

My heart was throbbing wildly.
我的心狂跳不止。 —

I was frightened.
我感到害怕。 —

I opened the door brusquely, and in the darkness I distinguished a white figure, standing erect, something that resembled an apparition.
我突然急切地打开门,在黑暗中我看清了一个直立的白色身影,像是一个鬼魂。

“I recoiled petrified with horror, faltering:
被吓得惊呆了,我结结巴巴地说道:

“’Who-who-who are you?’
“你-你-你是谁?”

“A voice replied:
有个声音回答道:

“’It is I, father.’
“是我,爸爸。”

“It was my daughter.
那是我的女儿。

“I really thought I must be mad, and I retreated backward before this advancing spectre.
我真以为自己疯了,我在这个正在走过来的幽灵面前后退。 —

I kept moving away, making a sign with my hand,’ as if to drive the phantom away, that gesture which you have noticed—that gesture which has remained with me ever since.
我不停地后退,用手做一个手势,仿佛要把这个幻影驱散,你注意到的那个手势,从那时起一直伴随着我。

“’Do not be afraid, papa,’ said the apparition. ‘I was not dead.
“不要害怕,爸爸,”幽灵说,“我没有死。 —

Somebody tried to steal my rings and cut one of my fingers;
有人试图偷我的戒指,割伤了我的一根手指, —

the blood began to flow, and that restored me to life.’
血流了出来,这样我恢复了生机。”

“And, in fact, I could see that her hand was covered with blood.
“事实上,我看到她的手上沾满了鲜血。

“I fell on my knees, choking with sobs and with a rattling in my throat.
“我跪了下来,哽咽着,喉咙里发出嘎嘎的声音。

“Then, when I had somewhat collected my thoughts, though I was still so bewildered that I scarcely realized the awesome happiness that had befallen me, I made her go up to my room and sit dawn in my easy-chair;
“然后,当我稍微冷静下来,虽然我还是头晕目眩,几乎没有意识到已经降临在我身上的巨大幸福,我让她上我的房间,坐在我的椅子上。 —

then I rang excitedly for Prosper to get him to rekindle the fire and to bring some wine, and to summon assistance.
“然后我兴奋地按响了铃,叫求好去重新点燃火,拿些酒,同时召唤援助。

“The man entered, stared at my daughter, opened his mouth with a gasp of alarm and stupefaction, and then fell back dead.
“这个人走了进来,看着我的女儿,惊讶地瞪大了眼睛,然后晕倒在地,死去了。

“It was he who had opened the vault, who had mutilated and then abandoned my daughter;
“正是他打开了地窖,肢解了然后抛弃了我的女儿; —

for he could not efface the traces of the theft.
因为他无法抹去盗窃的痕迹。 —

He had not even taken the trouble to put back the coffin into its place, feeling sure, besides, that he would not be suspected by me, as I trusted him absolutely.
“他甚至都没有费神将棺材放回原位,因为他确信我不会怀疑他,由于我对他的绝对信任。

“You see, monsieur, that we are very unfortunate people.”
“你看,先生,我们真是非常不幸的人。

He was silent.
他保持沉默。

The night had fallen, casting its shadows over the desolate, mournful vale, and a sort of mysterious fear possessed me at finding myself by the side of those strange beings, of this young girl who had come back from the tomb, and this father with his uncanny spasm.
夜幕降临,投下一片阴影在荒凉、悲凉的山谷上,我被一种神秘的恐惧所包围,因为我发现自己与这些奇怪的存在站在一起,与那个从坟墓中回来的年轻女孩,以及这个带着诡异痉挛的父亲。

I found it impossible to make any comment on this dreadful story.
我发现我无法对这可怕的故事做出任何评论。 —

I only murmured:
我只是轻声说道:

“What a horrible thing!”
“真是可怕的事情!”

Then, after a minute’s silence, I added:
然后,经过一分钟的沉默,我补充说道:

“Let us go indoors. I think it is growing cool.”
“让我们回到室内吧,我觉得渐渐开始凉了。”

And we made our way back to the hotel.
然后我们返回旅馆。