It was after dinner, and we were talking about adventures and accidents which happened while out shooting.
正是在晚饭过后,我们正在谈论在外打猎时发生的冒险和事故。

An old friend, known to all of us, M. Boniface, a great sportsman and a connoisseur of wine, a man of wonderful physique, witty and gay, and endowed with an ironical and resigned philosophy, which manifested itself in caustic humor, and never in melancholy, suddenly exclaimed:
一个我们都熟知的老朋友,M. Boniface,一个出色的运动员和美酒鉴赏家,一个身材魁梧、机智而愉快的人,他具备一种挖苦幽默的讽刺式和顺从的哲学,从不表现出悲伤,突然喊道:

“I know a story, or rather a tragedy, which is somewhat peculiar.
“我知道一个相当特别的故事,或者说是一出悲剧。 —

It is not at all like those which one hears of usually, and I have never told it, thinking that it would interest no one.
它与通常所听到的故事完全不同,我从未讲述过,因为我以为没有人会感兴趣。

“It is not at all sympathetic. I mean by that, that it does not arouse the kind of interest which pleases or which moves one agreeably.
“它一点也不让人有共鸣。我的意思是,它不会引起那种让人愉悦或感动的兴趣。

“Here is the story:
“以下就是故事:

“I was then about thirty-five years of age, and a most enthusiastic sportsman.
“当时我大约三十五岁,是一个最狂热的猎人。

“In those days I owned a lonely bit of property in the neighborhood of Jumieges, surrounded by forests and abounding in hares and rabbits.
“那些日子里,我拥有一块周围是森林,充满野兔和兔子的孤独财产,位于朱米耶日附近。 —

I was accustomed to spending four or five days alone there each year, there not being room enough to allow of my bringing a friend with me.
我习惯了每年在那里独自度过四五天的时间,因为没有足够的空间可以带一个朋友一起去。

“I had placed there as gamekeeper, an old retired gendarme, a good man, hot-tempered, a severe disciplinarian, a terror to poachers and fearing nothing.
“我雇佣了一位退休的老警察,在那里当游园看守,他是个好人,脾气火爆,严厉约束犯罪,对偷猎者是一种威胁,什么都不怕。 —

He lived all alone, far from the village, in a little house, or rather hut, consisting of two rooms downstairs, with kitchen and store-room, and two upstairs.
他独自一人生活在离村庄很远的地方,住在一间小房子里,或者更准确地说是一间小屋子,楼下有两间房间,有厨房和储藏室,楼上也有两间房间。 —

One of them, a kind of box just large enough to accommodate a bed, a cupboard and a chair, was reserved for my use.
其中一间房间,只够放一张床、一个橱柜和一把椅子,是为我准备的。

“Old man Cavalier lived in the other one.
“卡瓦利尔老人住在另一间房子里。 —

When I said that he was alone in this place, I was wrong.
当我说他在这个地方独自一人时,是不正确的。 —

He had taken his nephew with him, a young scamp about fourteen years old, who used to go to the village and run errands for the old man.
他带着他的侄子,一个年约十四岁的小淘气,和他一起来的。这个小淘气常常去村子里为老人办事。

“This young scapegrace was long and lanky, with yellow hair, so light that it resembled the fluff of a plucked chicken, so thin that he seemed bald.
“这个小淘气瘦长得像根麻花,头发金黄,浅得像刚拔过鸡毛那样,瘦得看上去光秃秃的。 —

Besides this, he had enormous feet and the hands of a giant.
除此之外,他有着巨大的脚和如巨人一般的手。

“He was cross-eyed, and never looked at anyone.
“他斜视着,从来不看任何人。 —

He struck me as being in the same relation to the human race as ill-smelling beasts are to the animal race.
他给我一种感觉,就像臭气熏天的野兽与动物界的关系一样。 —

He reminded me of a polecat.
他让我想起臭鼬。

“He slept in a kind of hole at the top of the stairs which led to the two rooms.
“他在通往两个房间的楼梯顶部睡在一个类似洞穴的地方。

“But during my short sojourns at the Pavilion—so I called the hut —Marius would give up his nook to an old woman from Ecorcheville, called Celeste, who used to come and cook for me, as old man Cavalier’s stews were not sufficient for my healthy appetite.
“但在我在这个小屋里短暂逗留的时候——我称之为亭子——Marius会把他的地方让给一个来自埃科尔纯的老妇人,叫做Celeste,她来为我做饭,因为Cavalier老人做的炖菜还不足以满足我健康的胃口。

“You now know the characters and the locality.
“现在你们已经认识了这些人物和地点。 —

Here is the story:
下面是故事的开始:

“It was on the fifteenth of October, 1854—I shall remember that date as long as I live.
“那是1854年10月15日,我将永远记得那个日期。

“I left Rouen on horseback, followed by my dog Bock, a big Dalmatian hound from Poitou, full-chested and with a heavy jaw, which could retrieve among the bushes like a Pont-Andemer spaniel.
“我骑着马离开鲁昂,后面跟着我的狗Bock,一只大型的普瓦图戴尔马提安猎犬,胸腔宽阔,下颌沉重,能在灌木丛中像波尔汉德梅尔猎犬一样搜寻。”

“I was carrying my satchel slung across my back and my gun diagonally across my chest.
“我背着我的背包,枪斜斜地横跨在我的胸前。 —

It was a cold, windy, gloomy day, with clouds scurrying across the sky.
那是一个冷风阴郁的日子,云朵在天空中飞快地移动着。

“As I went up the hill at Canteleu, I looked over the broad valley of the Seine, the river winding in and out along its course as far as the eye could see.
“当我走上坎特洛山时,我俯瞰着塞纳河的广阔山谷,河流蜿蜒曲折,眼睛能看到的程度。 —

To the right the towers of Rouen stood out against the sky, and to the left the landscape was bounded by the distant slopes covered with trees.
右侧的鲁昂塔楼映衬着天空,左侧的景色被远处覆盖着树木的山坡所界定。 —

Then I crossed the forest of Roumare and, toward five o’clock, reached the Pavilion, where Cavalier and Celeste were expecting me.
然后我穿过鲁马尔森林,大约在五点钟的时候,到达了亭子,在那里卡瓦利尔和塞莱斯特正在等着我。

“For ten years I had appeared there at the same time, in the same manner; and for ten years the same faces had greeted me with the same words:
“十年来,我每年都以同样的方式,在同样的时间出现在这里;十年来,同样的面孔以同样的话语欢迎我:

“’Welcome, master! We hope your health is good.’
“’欢迎,主人!希望您身体健康。

“Cavalier had hardly changed.
“卡瓦利尔几乎没有变化。 —

He withstood time like an old tree; but Celeste, especially in the past four years, had become unrecognizable.
他像一棵古老的树一样经受住了时间的考验;但是塞莱斯特,特别是过去四年里,变得面目全非。

“She was bent almost double, and, although still active, when she walked her body was almost at right angles to her legs.
“她几乎弯成了对折,尽管仍然活动着,但她走路时身体几乎与腿成直角。

“The old woman, who was very devoted to me, always seemed affected at seeing me again, and each time, as I left, she would say:
“这位对我非常忠心的老妇人,每次见到我都似乎感动不已,每次我离去时她都会说:

“’This may be the last time, master.’
“‘这可能是最后一次了,主人。’

“The sad, timid farewell of this old servant, this hopeless resignation to the inevitable fate which was not far off for her, moved me strangely each year.
“这位老仆人悲伤而胆小的告别,对即将到来的无可避免的命运毫无希望的顺从,每年都使我感到深深的触动。

“I dismounted, and while Cavalier, whom I had greeted, was leading my horse to the little shed which served as a stable, I entered the kitchen, which also served as dining-room, followed by Celeste.
“我下了马,而我已经打过招呼的卡瓦利尔正在带我的马到用作马厩的小棚子里,我跟着塞莱斯特进了厨房,这里也兼作餐厅。

“Here the gamekeeper joined us.
“这时,看门人加入了我们。 —

I saw at first glance that something was the matter.
我一眼就看出有些事情不对劲。 —

He seemed preoccupied, ill at ease, worried.
他似乎心事重重,不安和烦恼。

“I said to him:
“我对他说:

“’Well, Cavalier, is everything all right?’
“‘卡瓦利尔,一切都好吗?’

“He muttered:
“他喃喃自语:

“’Yes and no. There are things I don’t like.’
“‘是和不是。有些事情我不喜欢。’

“I asked:
“我问:

“’What? Tell me about it.’
“‘什么事?告诉我吧。’

“But he shook his head.
“但他摇了摇头。”

“’No, not yet, monsieur.
“不,先生,还没有。 —

I do not wish to bother you with my little troubles so soon after your arrival.’
我不希望在您到达后不久就为我的小麻烦打扰您。”

“I insisted, but he absolutely refused to give me any information before dinner.
“我坚持要他在晚餐前给我一些信息,但他坚决拒绝了。” —

From his expression, I could tell that it was something very serious.
从他的表情中,我能感觉到这是一件非常严重的事情。

“Not knowing what to say to him, I asked:
“不知道该对他说什么,我问道:

“’How about game? Much of it this year?’
“今年有很多猎物吗?”

“’Oh, yes! You’ll find all you want.
“‘哦,是的!您会找到您需要的一切。 —

Thank heaven, I looked out for that.’
感谢上帝,我已经为此准备好了。’

“He said this with so much seriousness, with such sad solemnity, that it was really almost funny.
“他说这话非常认真、非常悲伤地说,实在是有点滑稽。 —

His big gray mustache seemed almost ready to drop from his lips.
他那浓密的灰色胡须似乎随时都会从嘴唇上掉下来。

“Suddenly I remembered that I had not yet seen his nephew.
“突然间,我想起我还没有见过他的侄子。

“’Where is Marius? Why does he not show himself?’
“‘马留斯在哪里?他为什么不露面?’

“The gamekeeper started, looking me suddenly in the face:
“看守人猛地一愣,突然看着我:

“Well, monsieur, I had rather tell you the whole business right away;
“‘嗯,先生,我宁愿马上把整个事情告诉您; —

it’s on account of him that I am worrying.’
这是因为他我才担心的。’

“’Ah! Well, where is he?’
“‘啊!那他在哪里?’

“’Over in the stable, monsieur.
“‘在马厩里,先生。 —

I was waiting for the right time to bring him out.’
我在等合适的时机把他带出来。’

“’What has he done?’
“’他做了什么?’

“’Well, monsieur——’
“’嗯,先生——’

“The gamekeeper, however, hesitated, his voice altered and shaky, his face suddenly furrowed by the deep lines of an old man.
“然而,看守却犹豫了,他的声音变了,颤抖了,他的脸上突然出现了一道老人深深的皱纹。

“He continued slowly:
“他慢慢地继续说道:

“’Well, I found out, last winter, that someone was poaching in the woods of Roseraies, but I couldn’t seem to catch the man.
“’嗯,去年冬天,我发现有人在罗斯拉伊的树林里偷猎,可是我似乎抓不住那个人。 —

I spent night after night on the lookout for him. In vain.
我度过了一个又一个夜晚保持警惕,但是毫无结果。 —

During that time they began poaching over by Ecorcheville.
同时,他们开始在埃科切维尔附近偷猎。 —

I was growing thin from vexation.
我为此困扰得瘦了下来。 —

But as for catching the trespasser, impossible!
但是要抓到那个侵入者,简直是不可能的! —

One might have thought that the rascal was forewarned of my plans.
这家伙好像提前知道了我的计划。

“’But one day, while I was brushing Marius’ Sunday trousers, I found forty cents in his pocket.
“’但是有一天,我给马里乌斯的礼拜天裤子刷洗时,在他的口袋里发现了四十分钱。 —

Where did he get it?
他是哪里来的?

“’I thought the matter over for about a week, and I noticed that he used to go out;
“’我思考了大约一个星期,发现他经常外出; —

he would leave the house just as I was coming home to go to bed—yes, monsieur.
每次我刚回家准备上床睡觉时,他却离家出走——是的,先生。

“’Then I started to watch him, without the slightest suspicion of the real facts.
“’于是我开始监视他,完全没有怀疑到真正的事实。 —

One morning, just after I had gone to bed before him, I got right up again, and followed him.
一天早晨,我刚躺下不久,又重新起身,跟着他去了。在追踪一个人方面, —

For shadowing a man, there is nobody like me, monsieur.
没有人能比得上我,先生。

“’And I caught him, Marius, poaching on your land, monsieur; he my nephew, I your keeper!
“‘我发现他,马吕斯,偷猎了你的地盘,先生;他是我的侄子,我是你的看守人!

“’The blood rushed to my head, and I almost killed him on the spot, I hit him so hard. Oh! yes, I thrashed him all right.
“‘我头上涌起的血几乎把我冲昏了头,我狠狠打了他一下。哦!是的,我痛揍了他。 —

And I promised him that he would get another beating from my hand, in your presence, as an example.
“‘而且我答应过他,他将会在你的面前再次被我殴打,作为一个榜样。

“’There! I have grown thin from sorrow.
“‘你知道吗,为此我操心得瘦了下来。 —

You know how it is when one is worried like that.
你知道当一个人这么担心的时候会是什么样子。 —

But tell me, what would you have done?
但告诉我,你觉得我该怎么办? —

The boy has no father or mother, and I am the last one of his blood;
‘这个孩子没有父母了,我是他的至亲。 —

I kept him, I couldn’t drive him out, could I?
‘我留下了他,我无法把他赶走,不是吗?

“’I told him that if it happened again I would have no more pity for him, all would be over. There!
“‘我告诉他,如果再发生一次,我就不再心慈手软了,一切都结束了。你看, —

Did I do right, monsieur?’
我做对了,先生吗?

“I answered, holding out my hand:
“我伸出手回答道:

“’You did well, Cavalier; you are an honest man.’
“‘你做得好,卡瓦利尔;你是个诚实的人。

“He rose.
“他站了起来。

“’Thank you, monsieur. Now I am going to fetch him.
“谢谢您,先生。现在我去找他。 —

I must give him his thrashing, as an example.’
我必须给他一顿暴打,以示警戒。”

“I knew that it was hopeless to try and turn the old man from his idea.
“我知道试图让那位老人改变主意是徒劳的。 —

I therefore let him have his own way.
因此我让他按照他的方式行事。”

“He got the rascal and brought him back by the ear.
“他抓住那个恶棍并扯着他的耳朵把他带回来。”

“I was seated on a cane chair, with the solemn expression of a judge.
“我坐在一把藤椅上,面容庄重,像一个法官一样。”

“Marius seemed to have grown;
“马里斯似乎长大了; —

he was homelier even than the year before, with his evil, sneaking expression.
他比去年还要丑陋,带着恶毒、狡猾的表情。”

“His big hands seemed gigantic.
“他的大手看上去巨大无比。”

“His uncle pushed him up to me, and, in his soldierly voice, said:
“他的叔叔把他推到我跟前,用他那像军人一样的嗓音说道:

“’Beg the gentleman’s pardon.’
“‘向这位先生道歉吧。’

“The boy didn’t say a word.
“这个男孩一句话也没说。”

“Then putting one arm round him, the former gendarme lifted him right off the ground, and began to whack him with such force that I rose to stop the blows.
“然后,这个前宪兵用一只手臂搂住他,把他整个人提了起来,开始狠狠地打他,打得我站起来阻止这些打击。”

“The boy was now howling: ‘Mercy!
“这个男孩现在大声哭喊着:‘求求您! —

mercy! mercy! I promise——’
饶了我吧!我保证——’”

“Cavalier put him back on the ground and forced him to his knees:
“卡瓦利耶把他放回地上,迫使他跪下:

“’Beg for pardon,’ he said.
“‘请求原谅,’他说。

“With eyes lowered, the scamp murmured:
“恶棍低着头,嘀咕道:

“’I ask for pardon!’
“‘我请求原谅!’

“Then his uncle lifted him to his feet, and dismissed him with a cuff which almost knocked him down again.
然后他的叔叔把他扶起来,并用一巴掌就差点又把他打倒了。

“He made his escape, and I did not see him again that evening.
他逃走了,那天晚上我再也没有见到他。

“Cavalier appeared overwhelmed.’
骑士显得不知所措。

“’He is a bad egg,’ he said.
“他是个坏蛋,”他说。

“And throughout the whole dinner, he kept repeating:
整个晚餐期间,他一直重复着:

“’Oh! that worries me, monsieur, that worries me.’
“哦!这让我烦恼,先生,这让我烦恼。

“I tried to comfort him, but in vain.
我试图安慰他,但无济于事。

“I went to bed early, so that I might start out at daybreak.
我早早上床睡觉,以便在天亮时出发。

“My dog was already asleep on the floor, at the foot of my bed, when I put out the light.
当我熄灭灯时,我的狗已经在床脚的地板上睡着了。

“I was awakened toward midnight by the furious barking of my dog Bock. I immediately noticed that my room was full of smoke.
我在午夜被我的狗波克的狂吠声惊醒。我立刻注意到我的房间充满了烟雾。 —

I jumped out of bed, struck a light, ran to the door and opened it.
我跳下床,点亮了灯,跑到门口打开了它。 —

A cloud of flames burst in. The house was on fire.
一团火焰爆发了进来。房子着火了。

“I quickly closed the heavy oak door and, drawing on my trousers, I first lowered the dog through the window, by means of a rope made of my sheets;
我迅速关上沉重的橡木门,并穿上裤子,首先用我的床单绳子把狗放下窗户。 —

then, having thrown out the rest of my clothes, my game-bag and my gun, I in turn escaped the same way.
接着,我把剩下的衣服、狩猎包和枪全部扔了出去,我也用同样的方式逃脱了。

“I began to shout with all my might:
“我开始尽全力大喊:‘骑士! —

‘Cavalier! Cavalier! Cavalier!’
骑士!骑士!’

“But the gamekeeper did not wake up.
“但是看护人却没有醒来。 —

He slept soundly like an old gendarme.
他像一名老警察一样熟睡着。

“However, I could see through the lower windows that the whole ground-floor was nothing but a roaring furnace;
“然而,我通过下方的窗户看到整个一楼都是一片熊熊大火; —

I also noticed that it had been filled with straw to make it burn readily.
我还注意到里面堆满了干草,以便更容易燃烧。

“Somebody must purposely have set fire to the place!
“肯定有人故意纵火!

“I continued shrieking wildly: ‘Cavalier!’
“我继续疯狂地尖叫:‘骑士!’

“Then the thought struck me that the smoke might be suffocating him.
“然后我突然想到烟雾可能让他窒息。 —

An idea came to me.
我有了一个主意。 —

I slipped two cartridges into my gun, and shot straight at his window.
我往枪里装入两发子弹,然后直接朝他的窗户开枪。

“The six panes of glass shattered into the room in a cloud of glass.
“六块玻璃窗玻璃破碎,飞散进屋里。 —

This time the old man had heard me, and he appeared, dazed, in his nightshirt, bewildered by the glare which illumined the whole front of his ‘house.
这次老人听到了我,他穿着睡袍出现,被照亮了整个房子前面的强光所迷惑。

“I cried to him:
“我对他喊道:

“’Your house is on fire!
“你的房子着火了! —

Escape through the window!
从窗户逃生!快! —

Quick! Quick!’
快!”

“The flames were coming out through all the cracks downstairs, were licking along the wall, were creeping toward him and going to surround him.
“火焰从楼下的所有缝隙中冒出来,舔着墙壁,向他爬来,将要将他围困起来。” —

He jumped and landed on his feet, like a cat.
他像一只猫一样跳下来,稳稳地落在脚下。

“It was none too soon. The thatched roof cracked in the middle, right over the staircase, which formed a kind of flue for the fire downstairs;
“来得正好。草顶从中间破裂,正好在楼梯口上方,形成了一个通风口,将楼下的火引上来; —

and an immense red jet jumped up into the air, spreading like a stream of water and sprinkling a shower of sparks around the hut.
一股巨大的红色喷射向空中,像水流一样扩散,并在小屋周围洒下火花的阵阵星光。 —

In a few seconds it was nothing but a pool of flames.
几秒钟后只剩下一片熊熊燃烧的火海。

“Cavalier, thunderstruck, asked:
“震惊的骑士问道:

“’How did the fire start?’
“‘火是怎么起来的?’

“I answered:
“我回答道:

“’Somebody lit it in the kitchen.’
“‘有人在厨房里点燃了它。’

“He muttered:
“他咕哝道:

“’Who could have started the fire?’
“‘是谁可能点燃了火?’

“And I, suddenly guessing, answered:
“我灵机一动,回答道:

“’Marius!’
“‘马里乌斯!’

“The old man understood. He stammered:
“老人明白了。他结结巴巴地说道:

“’Good God! That is why he didn’t return.’
“哎呀天啊!这就是他为什么没有回来的原因。”

“A terrible thought flashed through my mind. I cried:
“一个可怕的念头闪过我的脑海。我大喊道:

“’And Celeste! Celeste!’
“而赛勒斯特!赛勒斯特!”

“He did not answer. The house caved in before us, forming only an enormous, bright, blinding brazier, an awe-inspiring funeral-pile, where the poor woman could no longer be anything but a glowing ember, a glowing ember of human flesh.
“他没有回答。房子在我们面前塌陷,只形成了一个巨大、明亮、刺眼的火盆,一个令人敬畏的大火葬,而可怜的女人再也不可能成为别的,只是一团发红的燃烧着的血肉的余烬。

“We had not heard a single cry.
“我们没有听到任何哭声。

“As the fire crept toward the shed, I suddenly bethought me of my horse, and Cavalier ran to free it.
“当火逐渐蔓延到小棚子时,我突然想起了我的马,骑士前去放它。

“Hardly had he opened the door of the stable, when a supple, nimble body darted between his legs, and threw him on his face.
“他刚打开马厩的门,就有一个敏捷、灵活的身体从他的腿中间闪过,把他摔倒在地。 —

It was Marius, running for all he was worth.
“那是马留斯,他全力奔跑着。

“The man was up in a second.
“第二个人立刻就站了起来。 —

He tried to run after the wretch, but, seeing that he could not catch him, and maddened by an irresistible anger, yielding to one of those thoughtless impulses which we cannot foresee or prevent, he picked up my gun, which was lying on the ground.
他试图追赶那个恶棍,但见追不上,由于一种无法预测也无法阻止的无理的愤怒,他拿起了地上的我的枪。 —

near him, put it to his shoulder, and, before I could make a motion, he pulled the trigger without even noticing whether or not the weapon was loaded.
在他身边,把它放到他的肩膀上,还没等我做出动作,他就扣动了扳机,甚至没有注意武器是否装有子弹。

“One of the cartridges which I had put in to announce the fire was still intact, and the charge caught the fugitive right in the back, —throwing him forward on the ground, bleeding profusely.
“我放进去的其中一颗子弹还完好无损,子弹正中了逃犯的背部,他一头栽倒在地上,鲜血直流。 —

He immediately began to claw the earth with his hands and with his knees, as though trying to run on all fours like a rabbit who has been mortally wounded, and sees the hunter approaching.
他立刻开始用双手和双膝抓着地面,仿佛想像一只受到致命伤的兔子一样,爬行着逃离即将临近的猎人。

“I rushed forward to the boy, but I could already hear the death-rattle.
“我向那个男孩冲过去,但我已经能听到他嗓子里发出的哀嚎声。 —

He passed away before the fire was extinguished, without having said a word.
他在火灭之前就离世了,一言不发。

“Cavalier, still in his shirt, his legs bare, was standing near us, motionless, dazed.
“骑士还穿着衬衫,双腿赤裸,一动不动地站在我们附近,目瞪口呆。

“When the people from the village arrived, my gamekeeper was taken away, like an insane man.
“村子里的人们到达时,我的看守员被带走了,就像一个疯子一样。

“I appeared at the trial as witness, and related the facts in detail, without changing a thing.
“我作为证人参加了审判,并详细叙述了事实,一字不改。 —

Cavalier was acquitted. He disappeared that very day, leaving the country.
骑士被宣判无罪。他在当天就消失了,离开了这个国家。

“I have never seen him since.
“自那以后我再也没有见过他。

“There, gentlemen, that is my story.”
“各位,那就是我的故事。”