A white-haired old man begged us for alms. My companion, Joseph Davranche, gave him five francs.
一个满头白发的老人向我们乞求施舍。我的伙伴约瑟夫·达夫朗什给了他五法郎。 —

Noticing my surprised look, he said:
看到我惊讶的表情,他说:

“That poor unfortunate reminds me of a story which I shall tell you, the memory of which continually pursues me.
“那个可怜的不幸者让我想起了一个故事,这个故事一直在我脑海中。 —

Here it is:
就是这个:

“My family, which came originally from Havre, was not rich. We just managed to make both ends meet.
“我家原本来自于勒阿弗尔,不富裕。我们仅仅勉强维持生计。 —

My father worked hard, came home late from the office, and earned very little. I had two sisters.
我父亲努力工作,从办公室晚归,收入很少。我有两个姐妹。

“My mother suffered a good deal from our reduced circumstances, and she often had harsh words for her husband, veiled and sly reproaches.
“我母亲对我们的降低生活状况感到很苦恼,她经常对我的父亲发腻味而不公开的责备。 —

The poor man then made a gesture which used to distress me.
那个可怜的男人然后会做出一个让我痛心的手势。 —

He would pass his open hand over his forehead, as if to wipe away perspiration which did not exist, and he would answer nothing.
他会把手掌伸向自己的额头,仿佛要擦去并不存在的汗水,他什么也不说。 —

I felt his helpless suffering. We economized on everything, and never would accept an invitation to dinner, so as not to have to return the courtesy.
我能感受到他无助的痛苦。我们在各个方面精打细算,从不接受晚宴邀请,以免回礼。 —

All our provisions were bought at bargain sales.
我们所有的供应品都是在特价销售中购得的。 —

My sisters made their own gowns, and long discussions would arise on the price of a piece of braid worth fifteen centimes a yard.
我的姐妹们自己做了自己的礼服,对一码15分的饰带的价格会引发长时间的讨论。 —

Our meals usually consisted of soup and beef, prepared with every kind of sauce.
我们的饭菜通常由各种种类的汤和牛肉配制而成,配有各种调味汁。

“They say it is wholesome and nourishing, but I should have preferred a change.
“他们说这是健康有营养的,但我宁愿换个口味。

“I used to go through terrible scenes on account of lost buttons and torn trousers.
“以前我经常因为脱扣子和破裤子而经历可怕的场面。

“Every Sunday, dressed in our best, we would take our walk along the breakwater.
“每个星期天,我们都打扮得漂漂亮亮,沿着防波堤散步。 —

My father, in a frock coat, high hat and kid gloves, would offer his arm to my mother, decked out and beribboned like a ship on a holiday.
我父亲穿着礼服、高顶礼帽和细手套,像节日里的一艘船一样,搀扶着我妈妈,打扮得像一艘装饰华丽的船只。 —

My sisters, who were always ready first, would await the signal for leaving;
我姐妹们总是最先准备好,等待出发的信号; —

but at the last minute some one always found a spot on my father’s frock coat, and it had to be wiped away quickly with a rag moistened with benzine.
但在最后一刻总有人发现我父亲的礼服上有个污点,就要用含苯的抹布迅速擦拭干净。

“My father, in his shirt sleeves, his silk hat on his head, would await the completion of the operation, while my mother, putting on her spectacles, and taking off her gloves in order not to spoil them, would make haste.
父亲穿着衬衫,头戴丝质礼帽,等待手术的完成,而母亲则戴上眼镜,脱掉手套以免弄脏它们,匆匆忙忙地准备好。

“Then we set out ceremoniously.
然后我们隆重地出发了。 —

My sisters marched on ahead, arm in arm.
我的姐姐们手臂挽着手臂走在前面。 —

They were of marriageable age and had to be displayed.
她们到了适婚年龄,需要展示一下。 —

I walked on the left of my mother and my father on her right.
我走在母亲的左侧,父亲则在她的右侧。 —

I remember the pompous air of my poor parents in these Sunday walks, their stern expression, their stiff walk.
我记得在这些周日散步中,我可怜的父母表现得很自夸,他们严肃的表情,挺拔的步态。 —

They moved slowly, with a serious expression, their bodies straight, their legs stiff, as if something of extreme importance depended upon their appearance.
他们行动缓慢,面色庄重,身体笔直,腿部僵硬,仿佛他们的形象与某种极其重要的事情有关。

“Every Sunday, when the big steamers were returning from unknown and distant countries, my father would invariably utter the same words:
每个星期天,当大型轮船从未知而遥远的国家返回时,父亲总会说出同样的话:

“’What a surprise it would be if Jules were on that one! Eh?’
“如果朱尔斯在那艘船上,那该有多么惊喜啊!嗯?”

“My Uncle Jules, my father’s brother, was the only hope of the family, after being its only fear.
我叔叔朱尔斯,我父亲的兄弟,是家庭的唯一希望,也是唯一的恐惧。 —

I had heard about him since childhood, and it seemed to me that I should recognize him immediately, knowing as much about him as I did.
我从小就听说过他,我觉得我应该能够立刻认出他,因为我对他的了解如此深入。 —

I knew every detail of his life up to the day of his departure for America, although this period of his life was spoken of only in hushed tones.
我知道他从出发去美国那天起的生活的每个细节,尽管这段时间的事情只能以低声耳语的方式提及。

“It seems that he had led a bad life, that is to say, he had squandered a little money, which action, in a poor family, is one of the greatest crimes.
“据说他过得很不好,也就是说,他挥霍了一些钱,而在贫穷的家庭中,这一行为是最大的罪行之一。 —

With rich people a man who amuses himself only sows his wild oats.
对于富人来说,只会玩乐的人只是播撒一下野种而已。 —

He is what is generally called a sport.
他们通常被称为“好玩的人”。 —

But among needy families a boy who forces his parents to break into the capital becomes a good-for-nothing, a rascal, a scamp.
但在贫困的家庭中,一个让父母不得不动用本金的孩子就成了一个废物,一个恶棍,一个无赖。 —

And this distinction is just, although the action be the same, for consequences alone determine the seriousness of the act.
这种区别是公正的,尽管行动是一样的,因为只有后果才能决定行为的严重性。

“Well, Uncle Jules had visibly diminished the inheritance on which my father had counted, after he had swallowed his own to the last penny.
嗯,显然,朱尔叔叔减少了我父亲指望的继承,之前他已经把自己的所有钱都花光了。 —

Then, according to the custom of the times, he had been shipped off to America on a freighter going from Havre to New York.
然后,按照当时的习俗,他被送上了一艘从阿维尔开往纽约的货船。

“Once there, my uncle began to sell something or other, and he soon wrote that he was making a little money and that he soon hoped to be able to indemnify my father for the harm he had done him.
“一到那里,我叔叔就开始卖点东西,他很快写信说他正在赚一些钱,很快希望能补偿一下我父亲受到的伤害。 —

This letter caused a profound emotion in the family. Jules, who up to that time had not been worth his salt, suddenly became a good man, a kind-hearted fellow, true and honest like all the Davranches.
这封信在家人中引起了深深的感动。尤尔斯在那之前毫无用处,突然变成了一个好人,一个像达夫兰什一家人一样善良、真诚、诚实的人。

“One of the captains told us that he had rented a large shop and was doing an important business.
“有一位船长告诉我们,他租了一间大店铺,正在做一笔重要的生意。

“Two years later a second letter came, saying:
“两年后,又来了第二封信,里面写道: —

‘My dear Philippe, I am writing to tell you not to worry about my health, which is excellent.
‘亲爱的菲利普,我写信告诉你不用担心我的健康,很好。 —

Business is good. I leave to-morrow for a long trip to South America.
生意很好,明天我要去南美洲长途旅行。 —

I may be away for several years without sending you any news.
或许几年内都不会给你寄信了。” —

If I shouldn’t write, don’t worry.
如果我不应该写信,别担心。 —

When my fortune is made I shall return to Havre. I hope that it will not be too long and that we shall all live happily together….’
等我挣了一大笔钱,我就会回到阿维尔。希望不要等太久,我们都可以幸福地生活在一起……

“This letter became the gospel of the family.
这封信成为了家庭的福音书。 —

It was read on the slightest provocation, and it was shown to everybody.
只要有一点借口,它就被朗读出来,还给每个人看。

“For ten years nothing was heard from Uncle Jules;
“十年来没有收到过 Uncle Jules 的消息, —

but as time went on my father’s hope grew, and my mother, also, often said:
但随着时间的推移,我父亲的希望越来越大,我母亲也经常说:

“’When that good Jules is here, our position will be different.
“’等那个好心肠的朱尔回来,我们的处境就会不同了。 —

There is one who knew how to get along!’
他知道如何安顿自己!’

“And every Sunday, while watching the big steamers approaching from the horizon, pouring out a stream of smoke, my father would repeat his eternal question:
“每个星期天,当我们看着从地平线上逐渐靠近的大型轮船,喷出一缕缕烟雾时,我父亲总会重复他永恒不变的问题:

“’What a surprise it would be if Jules were on that one! Eh?’
“’如果朱尔就在那一艘上,那可是个惊喜!对吧?’

“We almost expected to see him waving his handkerchief and crying:
“我们几乎期待着看到他挥舞着手绢,大声喊道:

“’Hey! Philippe!’
“’嘿!菲利普!’

“Thousands of schemes had been planned on the strength of this expected return;
“我们已经制定了无数计划,都建立在这个期待的返回之上; —

we were even to buy a little house with my uncle’s money—a little place in the country near Ingouville.
我们甚至可以用我叔叔的钱买一所小房子——一个靠近英古维尔的乡村小地方。 —

In fact, I wouldn’t swear that my father had not already begun negotiations.
事实上,我不能保证我父亲是否已经开始了谈判。

“The elder of my sisters was then twenty-eight, the other twenty-six. They were not yet married, and that was a great grief to every one.
“我的姐姐中较年长的当时二十八岁,另一个二十六岁。她们还没有结婚,这对每个人来说都是一大悲哀。

“At last a suitor presented himself for the younger one.
“终于有一个追求者出现在了年轻姐姐的面前。 —

He was a clerk, not rich, but honorable.
他是一个职员,不富有,但很正直。 —

I have always been morally certain that Uncle Jules’ letter, which was shown him one evening, had swept away the young man’s hesitation and definitely decided him.
我一直确信,当晚给他看的尤尔克叔叔的信,打消了这个年轻人的犹豫,最终决定了他。

“He was accepted eagerly, and it was decided that after the wedding the whole family should take a trip to Jersey.
“他被热烈接受了,决定在婚礼之后全家一起去泽西旅行。

“Jersey is the ideal trip for poor people. It is not far;
“对于穷人来说,泽西是理想的旅行地。它离得不远; —

one crosses a strip of sea in a steamer and lands on foreign soil, as this little island belongs to England.
人们可以乘坐轮船穿越一片海域,登上英国的领土——这个小岛属于英国。 —

Thus, a Frenchman, with a two hours’ sail, can observe a neighboring people at home and study their customs.
因此,一个法国人乘坐两个小时的航行,就能观察到邻国的风土人情,并研究他们的习俗。

“This trip to Jersey completely absorbed our ideas, was our sole anticipation, the constant thought of our minds.
“这次去泽西岛完全吸引住了我们的思想,成为了我们唯一的期盼,是我们不断思考的内容。

“At last we left. I see it as plainly as if it had happened yesterday.
“最后我们离开了。我如同昨天发生的事情一样清晰地看见了。 —

The boat was getting up steam against the quay at Granville;
船正在格兰维尔码头蓄势待发,正往锅炉加煤; —

my father, bewildered, was superintending the loading of our three pieces of baggage;
“我父亲有些迷茫地监督着我们的三件行李的装载; —

my mother, nervous, had taken the arm of my unmarried sister, who seemed lost since the departure of the other one, like the last chicken of a brood;
“我母亲紧张地牵着我未婚的姐姐的手臂,自从另一个姐姐离开后她就仿佛迷失了方向,犹如一窝小鸡中的最后一个; —

behind us came the bride and groom, who always stayed behind, a thing that often made me turn round.
“我们后面是新郎和新娘,总是落在后面,这经常让我回过头来看。

“The whistle sounded. We got on board, and the vessel, leaving the breakwater, forged ahead through a sea as flat as a marble table.
“汽笛响了。我们上了船,船离开了防浪堤,在一片平如大理石桌的海面上直前。 —

We watched the coast disappear in the distance, happy and proud, like all who do not travel much.
“我们看着海岸消失在远方,感到幸福和骄傲,就像那些不常旅行的人一样。

“My father was swelling out his chest in the breeze, beneath his frock coat, which had that morning been very carefully cleaned;
“我父亲在清风中挺了挺胸脯,那件早上刚刚打扫得非常干净的礼服外套下面; —

and he spread around him that odor of benzine which always made me recognize Sunday.
他周围弥漫着汽油气味,这总是让我认出是星期天的标志。 —

Suddenly he noticed two elegantly dressed ladies to whom two gentlemen were offering oysters.
突然,他注意到两个穿着优雅的女士,有两个先生正在给她们提供牡蛎。 —

An old, ragged sailor was opening them with his knife and passing them to the gentlemen, who would then offer them to the ladies.
一个衣衫褴褛的老水手用刀打开牡蛎,递给那些绅士们,然后他们再给女士们提供。 —

They ate them in a dainty manner, holding the shell on a fine handkerchief and advancing their mouths a little in order not to spot their dresses.
她们用优雅的方式吃着牡蛎,将贝壳放在细手帕上,微微向前倾着嘴,以免弄脏衣服。 —

Then they would drink the liquid with a rapid little motion and throw the shell overboard.
然后,她们迅速地喝掉液体,将贝壳扔进海里。

“My father was probably pleased with this delicate manner of eating oysters on a moving ship.
“我父亲可能对这种在动船上精致地吃牡蛎感到满意。 —

He considered it good form, refined, and, going up to my mother and sisters, he asked:
他认为这是高雅的作风,精致的。他走向我的母亲和姐妹们,问道:

“’Would you like me to offer you some oysters?’
“你们想我给你们提供一些牡蛎吗?”

“My mother hesitated on account of the expense, but my two sisters immediately accepted.
我的母亲因为费用而犹豫,但我两个姐妹立即接受了。 —

My mother said in a provoked manner:
我妈妈生气地说:

“’I am afraid that they will hurt my stomach.
“我担心吃了它们会伤害我的胃。 —

Offer the children some, but not too much, it would make them sick.’ Then, turning toward me, she added:
给孩子们一些,但不要太多,那会让他们生病的。”然后,她转向我,又补充道:

“’As for Joseph, he doesn’t need any.
“至于约瑟夫,他不需要吃。 —

Boys shouldn’t be spoiled.’
男孩不应该被宠坏。”

“However, I remained beside my mother, finding this discrimination unjust.
“然而,我仍然站在我母亲身边,觉得这种歧视是不公平的。 —

I watched my father as he pompously conducted my two sisters and his son-in-law toward the ragged old sailor.
我看着我父亲自大地领导着我的两个姐妹和女婿走向那个褴褛的老水手。

“The two ladies had just left, and my father showed my sisters how to eat them without spilling the liquor.
“两位女士刚走,我父亲给我姐妹们示范如何吃这些而不洒出酒液。 —

He even tried to give them an example, and seized an oyster.
他甚至试图给她们做个榜样,然后拿起了一只牡蛎。 —

He attempted to imitate the ladies, and immediately spilled all the liquid over his coat.
他试图模仿那两位女士,结果立刻把所有的液体都溅在了他的外套上。 —

I heard my mother mutter:
我听到我母亲低声嘟囔着:

“’He would do far better to keep quiet.’
“他最好闭嘴。”

“But, suddenly, my father appeared to be worried;
“但是,突然间,我父亲似乎很担心; —

he retreated a few steps, stared at his family gathered around the old shell opener, and quickly came toward us.
他退后几步,凝视着他的家人聚集在那位老搬运工周围,迅速走向我们。 —

He seemed very pale, with a peculiar look.
他看起来很苍白,眼神特别奇怪。 —

In a low voice he said to my mother:
他低声对我母亲说:

“’It’s extraordinary how that man opening the oysters looks like Jules.’
“这个人打开牡蛎的样子和朱尔斯太像了,真不可思议。”

“Astonished, my mother asked:
“我母亲惊讶地问道:

“’What Jules?’
“‘朱尔斯是哪个朱尔斯?’

“My father continued:
“我父亲接着说:

“’Why, my brother. If I did not know that he was well off in America, I should think it was he.’
“‘我弟弟啊。要是我不知道他在美国生活得很好,我都会以为是他了。’

“Bewildered, my mother stammered:
“我母亲迷惑地结结巴巴地说:

“’You are crazy! As long as you know that it is not he, why do you say such foolish things?’
“‘你疯了吧!既然你知道不是他,为什么说这样的傻话呢?’

“But my father insisted:
“但我父亲坚持道:

“’Go on over and see, Clarisse!
“‘去看看吧,克拉丽丝! —

I would rather have you see with your own eyes.’
我宁愿你亲眼看看。’

“She arose and walked to her daughters. I, too, was watching the man. He was old, dirty, wrinkled, and did not lift his eyes from his work.
“她站起身走向她的女儿们。我也一直在观察那个人。他又老又脏,皱纹满脸,一直没有抬起眼睛。

“My mother returned. I noticed that she was trembling.
“我母亲回来了。我注意到她在发抖。 —

She exclaimed quickly:
她迅速地喊道:

“’I believe that it is he. Why don’t you ask the captain?
“‘我相信是他了。你为什么不问问船长呢? —

But be very careful that we don’t have this rogue on our hands again!’
但一定要小心,我们可别再让这个流氓骗到手!’

“My father walked away, but I followed him. I felt strangely moved.
“我父亲走开了,我跟着他。我觉得自己很激动。

“The captain, a tall, thin man, with blond whiskers, was walking along the bridge with an important air as if he were commanding the Indian mail steamer.
“那个身材高瘦、长着金色胡须的船长,一副重要的姿态沿着甲板走着,仿佛他正在指挥着这艘印度邮轮。”

“My father addressed him ceremoniously, and questioned him about his profession, adding many compliments:
“我父亲郑重地向他打招呼,并询问他的职业,还夸奖了他很多。”

“’What might be the importance of Jersey?
“’泽西岛有什么重要性? —

What did it produce? What was the population?
它生产什么?人口多少?海关如何? —

The customs? The nature of the soil?’ etc., etc.
土壤性质如何?’等等。”

“’You have there an old shell opener who seems quite interesting.
“’那里有一个看起来很有趣的老开贝者。 —

Do you know anything about him?’
你知道他的事情吗?’”

“The captain, whom this conversation began to weary, answered dryly:
“船长对这个对话已经感到厌烦,干巴巴地回答道:”

“’He is some old French tramp whom I found last year in America, and I brought him back.
“’他是我去年在美国找到的一个法国流浪汉,我带他回来了。” —

It seems that he has some relatives in Havre, but that he doesn’t wish to return to them because he owes them money.
“看起来他在勒阿弗尔有一些亲戚,但他不想回去,因为他欠他们钱。” —

His name is Jules—Jules Darmanche or Darvanche or something like that.
“他叫Jules,Jules Darmanche或者Darvanche,诸如此类。” —

It seems that he was once rich over there, but you can see what’s left of him now.’
“似乎他以前在那里很富有,但你现在能看到他还剩下什么。”

“My father turned ashy pale and muttered, his throat contracted, his eyes haggard.
“我父亲变得灰白,低声嘟囔,喉咙收缩,眼神疲惫。

“’Ah! ah! very well, very well.
“’啊!啊!很好,很好。 —

I’m not in the least surprised.
我一点也不惊讶。 —

Thank you very much, captain.’
非常感谢,船长。’

“He went away, and the astonished sailor watched him disappear.
“他走了,那位惊讶的水手看着他消失了。 —

He returned to my mother so upset that she said to him:
他回到我母亲身边,心烦意乱地对她说:

“’Sit down; some one will notice that something is the matter.’
“’坐下吧,不要让别人发现是怎么回事。’

“He sank down on a bench and stammered:
“他坐在长椅上,结结巴巴地说:

“’It’s he! It’s he!’
“’就是他!就是他!’

“Then he asked:
“然后他问道:

“’What are we going to do?’
“’我们该怎么办?’

“She answered quickly:
“她迅速回答道:

“’We must get the children out of the way.
“’我们必须把孩子们安排好。 —

Since Joseph knows everything, he can go and get them.
既然约瑟夫知道一切,他可以去接他们。 —

We must take good care that our son-in-law doesn’t find out.’
我们一定要小心,别让女婿发现。’

“My father seemed absolutely bewildered. He murmured:
“我父亲似乎完全困惑了。他喃喃自语道:

“’What a catastrophe!’
“’真是一场灾难!’

“Suddenly growing furious, my mother exclaimed:
“突然愤怒起来,我母亲大声说道:

“’I always thought that that thief never would do anything, and that he would drop down on us again!
“’我一直认为那个小偷永远不会做任何事情,他还是会回到我们面前! —

As if one could expect anything from a Davranche!’
“仿佛从一个达芬奇家族可以期待什么似的!’

“My father passed his hand over his forehead, as he always did when his wife reproached him. She added:
“我父亲习惯性地将手放在额头上,当他的妻子责备他时,他总是这样做。她补充道:

“’Give Joseph some money so that he can pay for the oysters.
“‘给约瑟夫一些钱,这样他就可以付牡蛎的钱了。 —

All that it needed to cap the climax would be to be recognized by that beggar.
如果那个乞丐认出了我们,那就完了! —

That would be very pleasant!
那将会非常不愉快! —

Let’s get down to the other end of the boat, and take care that that man doesn’t come near us!’
我们到船的另一边去,小心那个人靠近我们!’

“They gave me five francs and walked away.
“他们给了我五法郎,走开了。

“Astonished, my sisters were awaiting their father.
“我姐姐们惊讶地等着他们的父亲。 —

I said that mamma had felt a sudden attack of sea-sickness, and I asked the shell opener:
我说妈妈突然感到晕船,然后问开蚌人:

“’How much do we owe you, monsieur?’
“‘先生,我们欠你多少钱?’

“I felt like laughing: he was my uncle! He answered:
“我觉得好笑:他是我的叔叔!他回答说:

“’Two francs fifty.’
“‘二法郎五十。’

“I held out my five francs and he returned the change.
“我递给他五法郎,他找零给了我。 —

I looked at his hand;
我看着他的手; —

it was a poor, wrinkled, sailor’s hand, and I looked at his face, an unhappy old face. I said to myself:
那是一只贫穷的,起皱的水手手,我看着他的脸,一张不幸的老脸。我对自己说:

“’That is my uncle, the brother of my father, my uncle!’
“‘那是我的叔叔,我父亲的兄弟,我的叔叔!’

“I gave him a ten-cent tip. He thanked me:
“我给了他一角小费。他谢谢我:

“’God bless you, my young sir!’
“‘上帝保佑你,我的年轻先生!’

“He spoke like a poor man receiving alms.
“他说话的语气像一个领取施舍的穷人。 —

I couldn’t help thinking that he must have begged over there!
我不禁想他一定是在那边讨饭了! —

My sisters looked at me, surprised at my generosity.
“我的姐妹们看着我,惊讶于我的慷慨。 —

When I returned the two francs to my father, my mother asked me in surprise:
当我把两法郎还给父亲时,母亲惊讶地问我:

“’Was there three francs’ worth? That is impossible.’
“’值得三法郎吗?那不可能。”

“I answered in a firm voice
“我坚定地回答道

“’I gave ten cents as a tip.’
“’我给了十分钱作为小费。’

“My mother started, and, staring at me, she exclaimed:
“母亲大吃一惊,盯着我看,惊呼道:

“’You must be crazy! Give ten cents to that man, to that vagabond—’
“’你一定疯了!把十分钱给那个人,给那个流浪汉——’

“She stopped at a look from my father, who was pointing at his son-in-law.
“她在我父亲的示意下停住了,我父亲正在指着他的女婿。接着, —

Then everybody was silent.
每个人都安静下来了。

“Before us, on the distant horizon, a purple shadow seemed to rise out of the sea.
“在我们面前,远处的地平线上,一个紫色的影子似乎从海上升起。 —

It was Jersey.
那是泽西岛。

“As we approached the breakwater a violent desire seized me once more to see my Uncle Jules, to be near him, to say to him something consoling, something tender.
“当我们接近防波堤时,我再次被一种强烈的渴望所占据,想要见到我的叔叔朱尔,与他靠近,对他说一些安慰的话,一些温柔的话。 —

But as no one was eating any more oysters, he had disappeared, having probably gone below to the dirty hold which was the home of the poor wretch.”
“但是由于没有人再吃牡蛎,他已经消失了,可能已经下到了肮脏的舱底,那是一个可怜人的家。”