“Cuts and wounds which caused death.
“造成死亡的划痕和伤口。 —

” Such was the charge upon which Leopold Renard, upholsterer, was summoned before the Court of Assizes.
”这是装潢工雷奥波德·勒纳尔在巡回法庭面前被传唤的指控。

Round him were the principal witnesses, Madame Flameche, widow of the victim, and Louis Ladureau, cabinetmaker, and Jean Durdent, plumber.
他周围的主要证人有受害者的寡妇弗拉梅什夫人,还有家具制造商路易斯·拉迪欧和水暖工让·杜尔当。

Near the criminal was his wife, dressed in black, an ugly little woman, who looked like a monkey dressed as a lady.
罪犯旁边是他的妻子,穿着黑色,一位长相像猴子的丑陋女人,看起来像是一个装扮成淑女的猴子。

This is how Renard (Leopold) recounted the drama.
这就是勒纳尔(雷奥波德)叙述这场悲剧的方式。

“Good heavens, it is a misfortune of which I was the prime victim all the time, and with which my will has nothing to do.
“天哪,这是一场我始终是主要受害者的不幸,与我意愿无关。 —

The facts are their own commentary, Monsieur le President.
事实就是最好的评论,法官先生。 —

I am an honest man, a hard-working man, an upholsterer, living in the same street for the last sixteen years, known, liked, respected and esteemed by all, as my neighbors can testify, even the porter’s wife, who is not amiable every day.
我是一个诚实的人,一个勤奋的人,一个装潢工,过去十六年一直住在同一条街上,被所有人所认识、喜欢、尊重和尊敬,就连门卫的妻子也能作证,她并不是每天都那么友善。 —

I am fond of work, I am fond of saving, I like honest men and respectable amusements.
我喜欢工作,喜欢节约,喜欢诚实的人和值得尊敬的娱乐活动。 —

That is what has ruined me, so much the worse for me;
这就是毁掉了我,对我来说越糟糕, —

but as my will had nothing to do with it, I continue to respect myself.
但由于我的意愿与此无关,我继续尊重自己。

“Every Sunday for the last five years my wife and I have spent the day at Passy. We get fresh air, and, besides, we are fond of fishing. Oh!
“过去五年的每个星期天,我和妻子都会在帕西度过一天。我们得到了新鲜空气,而且我们喜欢钓鱼。哦! —

we are as fond of it as we are of little onions.
我们对此就像对小洋葱一样热爱。 —

Melie inspired me with that enthusiasm, the jade, and she is more enthusiastic than I am, the scold, seeing that all the mischief in this business is her fault, as you will see immediately.
梅丽让我充满了热情,这个狡猾的女人,她比我还热情,这件事的一切麻烦都是她的错,你马上就会看到。

“I am strong and mild tempered, without a pennyworth of malice in me. But she! oh! la! la!
“我强壮而性情温和,一点恶意都没有。但她!哦!啦啦! —

she looks like nothing; she is short and thin.
她看起来什么也不是;她又矮又瘦。 —

Very well, she does more mischief than a weasel.
很好,她比黄鼠狼还要淘气。 —

I do not deny that she has some good qualities;
我不否认她有些优点; —

she has some, and very important ones for a man in business.
她有一些,对于一个从事商业的人来说,这些优点非常重要。 —

But her character!
但她的性格! —

Just ask about it in the neighborhood, and even the porter’s wife, who has just sent me about my business—she will tell you something about it.
去问问附近的人,甚至刚刚把我赶走的门卫的妻子,她会告诉你一些事情。

“Every day she used to find fault with my mild temper:
“每天她都会对我温和的脾气挑剔:’ —

‘I would not put up with this!
我可受不了! —

I would not put up with that.’ If I had listened to her, Monsieur le President, I should have had at least three hand-to-hand fights a month….”
我可受不了那个!’”“如果我听她的,总统先生,我每个月至少要有三次亲身搏斗…”

Madame Renard interrupted him:
鲁坦先生被雷纳德夫人打断: —

“And for good reasons, too;
“有道理, —

they laugh best who laugh last.”
最后笑的才笑得最好。”

He turned toward her frankly: “Well, I can’t blame you, since you were not the cause of it.”
他坦率地转向她:“好吧,我不能责怪你,因为你并不是这个原因。”

Then, facing the President again, he said:
然后,他再次面对总统说:

“I will continue. We used to go to Passy every Saturday evening, so as to begin fishing at daybreak the next morning.
“我会继续说。我们每个星期六晚上都会去帕西,这样第二天早上天不亮就开始钓鱼。” —

It is a habit which has become second nature with us, as the saying is. Three years ago this summer I discovered a place, oh! such a spot.
“这已经成为我们的习惯,就像俗话说的。三年前的夏天,我发现了一个地方,噢!那是一个多么好的地方。” —

Oh, dear, dear! In the shade, eight feet of water at least and perhaps ten, a hole with cavities under the bank, a regular nest for fish and a paradise for the fisherman.
“噢,亲爱的!在阴凉处,水至少有八英尺,也许十英尺,河岸下有洞穴,是鱼儿的巢穴,对于钓鱼者来说是天堂。” —

I might look upon that fishing hole as my property, Monsieur le President, as I was its Christopher Columbus.
作为这个渔场的克里斯托弗·哥伦布,我可能把它视为我的财产,总统先生。 —

Everybody in the neighborhood knew it, without making any opposition.
附近的每个人都知道这一点,没有任何异议。他们会说: —

They would say: ‘That is Renard’s place’;
“那是雷纳德的地方”。 —

and nobody would have gone there, not even Monsieur Plumeau, who is well known, be it said without any offense, for poaching on other people’s preserves.
没有人会去那里,甚至就连著名的普卢莫也不会去侵犯别人的产业。

“Well, I returned to this place of which I felt certain, just as if I had owned it.
“嗯,我回到了这个我觉得肯定属于我的地方,就像我拥有它一样。 —

I had scarcely got there on Saturday, when I got into Delila, with my wife.
刚到周六,我就和妻子一起上了Delila号船。 —

Delila is my Norwegian boat, which I had built by Fournaire, and which is light and safe.
Delila是我由Fournaire建造的挪威船,它轻巧而安全。 —

Well, as I said, we got into the boat and we were going to set bait, and for setting bait there is none to be compared with me, and they all know it.
嗯,就像我说的,我们上了船,准备放饵。在放饵方面,没有人能比得上我,大家都知道这一点。 —

You want to know with what I bait?
你想知道我用什么诱饵? —

I cannot answer that question;
我不能回答那个问题; —

it has nothing to do with the accident.
那与事故无关。我不能回答; —

I cannot answer; that is my secret.
那是我的秘密。 —

There are more than three hundred people who have asked me;
已经有三百多人问过我了; —

I have been offered glasses of brandy and liqueur, fried fish, matelotes, to make me tell.
他们给我提供白兰地和利口酒、炸鱼、杂烩菜等东西,想要我说出来。但是去试试看, —

But just go and try whether the chub will come.
看看鲥鱼会不会上钩。 —

Ah! they have tempted my stomach to get at my secret, my recipe.
啊!他们引诱我的胃来获取我的秘密,我的配方。 —

Only my wife knows, and she will not tell it any more than I will.
只有我妻子知道,她不会说出来,就像我一样。 —

Is not that so, Melie?”
对吗,Melie?”

The president of the court interrupted him.
法庭主席打断他。

“Just get to the facts as soon as you can, ” and the accused continued:
“尽快说到事实上来”,被告继续说道: —

“I am getting to them, I am getting to them.
“我正在说到,我正在说到。 —

Well, on Saturday, July 8, we left by the twenty-five past five train and before dinner we went to set bait as usual.
好吧,7月8日星期六,我们乘坐五点二十五分的火车离开,在晚饭前我们像往常一样去垂钓。 —

The weather promised to keep fine and I said to Melie:
天气预报说天气会保持晴朗,我对Melie说: —

‘All right for tomorrow.’ And she replied: ‘If looks like it,’ We never talk more than that together.
“明天没问题。”她回答说:“看起来是这样。”我们从来不会多说几句。

“And then we returned to dinner. I was happy and thirsty, and that was the cause of everything.
“然后我们回到了晚餐。我心情愉快又渴,这就是一切发生的原因。 —

I said to Melie:
我对梅莉说: —

‘Look here, Melie, it is fine weather, suppose I drink a bottle of ‘Casque a meche’.’ That is a weak white wine which we have christened so, because if you drink too much of it it prevents you from sleeping and takes the place of a nightcap.
“瞧这里,梅莉,天气很好,要不我喝一瓶‘火头盔’吧。”“火头盔”是一种清淡的白葡萄酒,我们给它取了这个名字,因为如果你喝太多它,会让你失眠,替代了一顶帽子。 —

Do you understand me?
你明白我的意思吗?

“She replied: ‘You can do as you please, but you will be ill again and will not be able to get up tomorrow.’ That was true, sensible and prudent, clear-sighted, I must confess.
“她回答道:“你随意,但你会再次生病,明天起不了床。”那是真实、明智、谨慎的,明察秋毫,我必须承认。 —

Nevertheless I could not resist, and I drank my bottle. It all came from that.
然而我无法抵挡,我喝了我的瓶子。一切都起源于此。

“Well, I could not sleep. By Jove!
“嗯,我无法入睡。天啊! —

it kept me awake till two o’clock in the morning, and then I went to sleep so soundly that I should not have heard the angel sounding his trump at the last judgment.
它让我一直清醒到凌晨两点,然后我睡得那样香,就连最后审判时的天使吹号声我都没有听见。”

“In short, my wife woke me at six o’clock and I jumped out of bed, hastily put on my trousers and jersey, washed my face and jumped on board Delila.
“简而言之,我妻子在六点钟叫醒了我,我从床上跳起来,匆忙穿上裤子和毛衣,洗了脸,然后跳上了德莱拉号船。 —

But it was too late, for when I arrived at my hole it was already occupied!
但为时已晚,因为当我到达我的洞穴时,它已经被占据了! —

Such a thing had never happened to me in three years, and it made me feel as if I were being robbed under my own eyes.
这种事情在我三年的生活中从未发生过,让我觉得自己就像在我眼皮底下被抢劫一样。 —

I said to myself:
我对自己说: —

‘Confound it all! confound it!’ And then my wife began to nag at me. ‘Eh!
“该死!该死!”然后我妻子开始责备我。“嗯! —

what about your ‘Casque a meche’?
你的‘头盔’呢?走开, —

Get along, you drunkard!
你这个酒鬼! —

Are you satisfied, you great fool?’ I could say nothing, because it was all true, but I landed all the same near the spot and tried to profit by what was left.
你满意了吗,你这个大傻瓜?”我什么也说不出来,因为这全都是真的,但我仍然在附近着陆,并试图利用剩下的时间。 —

Perhaps after all the fellow might catch nothing and go away.
也许那个家伙最终可能什么也没钓到,然后离开。

“He was a little thin man in white linen coat and waistcoat and a large straw hat, and his wife, a fat woman, doing embroidery, sat behind him.
“他是一个穿着白色亚麻外衣和背心,戴着宽檐草帽的瘦小男子,而他的妻子,一个胖女人,正在做刺绣,坐在他的后面。”

“When she saw us take up our position close to them she murmured:
“当她看到我们在他们附近占据位置时,她咕哝道:’ —

‘Are there no other places on the river?’ My wife, who was furious, replied:
河边没有其他地方吗?’ 我愤怒的妻子回答道: —

‘People who have any manners make inquiries about the habits of the neighborhood before occupying reserved spots.’
“有礼貌的人在占据保留地之前会了解一下周边的习惯。”

“As I did not want a fuss, I said to her:
“我不想引起麻烦,所以对她说:’ —

‘Hold your tongue, Melie. Let them alone, let them alone; we shall see.’
闭嘴,梅莉。 让他们自己待着,我们等着瞧。”

“Well, we fastened Delila under the willows and had landed and were fishing side by side, Melie and I, close to the two others.
“好吧,我们把德莱拉(船)系在柳树下,我们俩下船并且在旁边一起钓鱼,梅莉和我,靠近那两个人。 —

But here, monsieur, I must enter into details.
但是,先生,我必须详细说明。

“We had only been there about five minutes when our neighbor’s line began to jerk twice, thrice; and then he pulled out a chub as thick as my thigh;
“我们只在那里待了约五分钟,我们邻居的鱼线突然抖动了两次,三次;然后他拉出了一条像我大腿一样粗壮的鲫鱼; —

rather less, perhaps, but nearly as big! My heart beat, the perspiration stood on my forehead and Melie said to me:
也许稍微小点,但几乎一样大!我的心怦怦直跳,汗水涔涔而下,梅莉对我说: —

‘Well, you sot, did you see that?’
“喂,你这个酒囊饭袋,你看见了吗?”

“Just then Monsieur Bru, the grocer of Poissy, who is fond of gudgeon fishing, passed in a boat and called out to me:
“就在那时,波西的杂货商布鲁先生,他喜欢钓鳜鱼,划着船经过并对我大喊道: —

‘So somebody has taken your usual place, Monsieur Renard?’ And I replied:
‘所以有人取了你以往的位置,伦纳先生?’我回答道: —

‘Yes, Monsieur Bru, there are some people in this world who do not know the rules of common politeness.’
‘是的,布鲁先生,这个世界上有些人不懂得公共礼貌的规则。’

“The little man in linen pretended not to hear, nor his fat lump of a wife, either.”
“穿亚麻布的小个子假装没听见,他那胖胖的妻子也是一样。”

Here the president interrupted him a second time:
主席在此时再次打断他:” —

“Take care, you are insulting the widow, Madame Flameche, who is present.”
小心点,你侮辱了出席的寡妇弗拉梅修夫人。”

Renard made his excuses: “I beg your pardon, I beg your pardon; my anger carried me away.
伦纳纳立即道歉:”对不起,对不起,我的愤怒冲昏了头脑。” —

Well, not a quarter of an hour had passed when the little man caught another chub, and another almost immediately, and another five minutes later.
好吧,还不到一刻钟的时间,小个子捉到了另一条鲫鱼,然后又马上捉到了另一条,又过了五分钟捉到了另一条。

“Tears were in my eyes, and I knew that Madame Renard was boiling with rage, for she kept on nagging at me:
“我的眼泪都快掉下来了,我知道伦纳纳太太早已怒不可遏,因为她一直唠叨着我:’哎呀, —

‘Oh, how horrid!
真可恶! —

Don’t you see that he is robbing you of your fish?
难道你看不出他在偷你的鱼吗? —

Do you think that you will catch anything?
你以为你会钓到什么? —

Not even a frog, nothing whatever. Why, my hands are tingling, just to think of it.’
连只青蛙都钓不到,什么也没有。啊,光想着就让我手发麻。’

“But I said to myself: ‘Let us wait until twelve o’clock.
“但是我对自己说:“让我们等到十二点钟。 —

Then this poacher will go to lunch and I shall get my place again.
然后这个偷猎者会去吃午饭,我就能重新占领我的位置。” —

As for me, Monsieur le President, I lunch on that spot every Sunday.
至于我,总统先生,每个星期天我都在那个地方吃午餐。 —

We bring our provisions in Delila.
我们把食物带来放在 Delila 里。 —

But there!
但是! —

At noon the wretch produced a chicken in a newspaper, and while he was eating, he actually caught another chub!
中午这个坏蛋拿出一只鸡,用报纸包着吃,而且他居然还钓到了一条鲈鱼!

“Melie and I had a morsel also, just a bite, a mere nothing, for our heart was not in it.
我和 Melie 也吃了一点点,只是一小口,微不足道的,因为我们的心思不在吃上。

“Then I took up my newspaper to aid my digestion.
“然后我拿起报纸来助消化。 —

Every Sunday I read the Gil Blas in the shade by the side of the water.
每个星期天我都在水边的阴凉处读《吉尔·布拉斯》。 —

It is Columbine’s day, you know; Columbine, who writes the articles in the Gil Blas. I generally put Madame Renard into a rage by pretending to know this Columbine.
这是Columbine的日子,你知道吗;Columbine,在《吉尔·布拉斯》上写文章的人。我经常装作认识这个Columbine,以激怒Renard夫人。 —

It is not true, for I do not know her and have never seen her, but that does not matter.
这是不真实的,因为我不认识她,也没见过她,但这无关紧要。 —

She writes very well, and then she says things that are pretty plain for a woman.
她写得很好,而且她说的话对一个女人来说是相当坦率的。 —

She suits me and there are not many of her sort.
她适合我,这样的人不多。

“Well, I began to tease my wife, but she got angry immediately, and very angry, so I held my tongue.
“嗯,我开始戏弄我的妻子,但是她立刻生气了,非常生气,所以我闭上嘴。 —

At that moment our two witnesses who are present here, Monsieur Ladureau and Monsieur Durdent, appeared on the other side of the river.
就在那时,我们的两位见证人拉杜罗先生和杜尔登先生出现在河对岸。 —

We knew each other by sight.
我们认识对方的面孔。 —

The little man began to fish again and he caught so many that I trembled with vexation and his wife said:
这个小人又开始钓鱼,他钓了那么多,我为此感到非常恼火,他的妻子说: —

‘It is an uncommonly good spot, and we will come here always, Desire.’ As for me, a cold shiver ran down my back, and Madame Renard kept repeating:
“这是一个非常好的地方,我们将永远来这里,迪泽尔。”至于我,一阵寒气从我的背上传来,鸡胆色女人不断重复着: —

‘You are not a man; you have the blood of a chicken in your veins’;
“你不是个男人;你的血管里流着鸡的血。”突然间, —

and suddenly I said to her:
我对她说: —

‘Look here, I would rather go away or I shall be doing something foolish.’
“听着,我宁愿离开,否则我会做傻事。”

“And she whispered to me, as if she had put a red-hot iron under my nose:
她小声对我说,好像把烙铁放在我的鼻子底下: —

‘You are not a man.
“你不是个男人。 —

Now you are going to run away and surrender your place!
现在你要逃走,放弃你的位置!去吧, —

Go, then, Bazaine!’
巴赞!”

“I felt hurt, but yet I did not move, while the other fellow pulled out a bream: Oh, I never saw such a large one before, never!
“我感到受伤,但我却没有移动,而那个家伙却拿出了一条银鲳鱼:哦,我从来没见过这么大的鱼,从没见过呢!” —

And then my wife began to talk aloud, as if she were thinking, and you can see her tricks.
然后我的妻子开始大声说话,好像她在思考一样,你可以看出她的把戏。 —

She said:
她说: —

‘That is what one might call stolen fish, seeing that we set the bait ourselves.
“那可以说是偷来的鱼,因为我们自己设下了诱饵。” —

At any rate, they ought to give us back the money we have spent on bait.’
总之,他们应该把我们花在饵料上的钱退还给我们。”

“Then the fat woman in the cotton dress said in her turn:
“然后那个穿着棉质连衣裙的胖女人轮到她说话了: —

‘Do you mean to call us thieves, madame?’ Explanations followed and compliments began to fly. Oh, Lord! those creatures know some good ones.
“你是指我们偷窃吗,夫人?”接着就解释起来,并开始互相赞美。哦,天啊!这些家伙都懂得一些好笑的。 —

They shouted so loud that our two witnesses, who were on the other bank, began to call out by way of a joke:
他们大声喊叫,以致我们在对岸的两个证人开玩笑地大声喊道: —

‘Less noise over there; you will interfere with your husbands’ fishing.’
“那边少点噪音吧,你会干扰到你们丈夫的钓鱼。”

“The fact is that neither the little man nor I moved any more than if we had been two tree stumps.
“事实上,我和那个小个子一动不动,就像两根树桩一样。” —

We remained there, with our eyes fixed on the water, as if we had heard nothing; but, by Jove!
我们留在那儿,眼睛盯着水,好像什么都没听到;但是,天哪! —

we heard all the same. ‘You are a thief!
我们确实什么都听到了。“你是个小偷! —

You are nothing better than a tramp!
你什么都不如,就是个流浪汉! —

You are a regular jade!’ and so on and so on. A sailor could not have said more.
你算个什么东西!”等等等等。一个水手也说不出更难听的话了。

“Suddenly I heard a noise behind me and turned round.
“突然间我听到背后有声音,我转过头去。 —

It was the other one, the fat woman, who had attacked my wife with her parasol.
是那个另一个,那个胖女人,用她的雨伞袭击我妻子。 —

Whack, whack!
啪啪!” —

Melie got two of them. But she was furious, and she hits hard when she is in a rage.
梅莉打中了其中两个。但她很愤怒,愤怒时她打得很狠。 —

She caught the fat woman by the hair and then thump! thump!
她揪住那个胖女人的头发,然后啪啪!” —

slaps in the face rained down like ripe plums.
一记记耳光如同成熟的李子一样打了下来。 —

I should have let them fight it out: women together, men together. It does not do to mix the blows.
我本该让她们打个痛快:女人在一起,男人在一起。不要掺和在一起打起来。 —

But the little man in the linen jacket jumped up like a devil and was going to rush at my wife.
但穿亚麻夹克的那个小个子像个魔鬼一样跳起来,要冲着我妻子过去。 —

Ah! no, no, not that, my friend!
啊!不,不,朋友! —

I caught the gentleman with the end of my fist, and crash!
我用拳头的顶端抓住那位先生,嘭!嘭! —

crash! One on the nose, the other in the stomach.
一个打在鼻子上,另一个打在肚子上。 —

He threw up his arms and legs and fell on his back into the river, just into the hole.
他挥舞着手脚,摔倒在河中,正好落入那个洞里。

“I should have fished him out most certainly, Monsieur le President, if I had had time.
“如果我有时间的话,我肯定能把他拉出来,总统先生。 —

But, to make matters worse, the fat woman had the upper hand and was pounding Melie for all she was worth.
更糟糕的是,胖女人占了上风,对梅丽拼命地打。 —

I know I ought not to have interfered while the man was in the water, but I never thought that he would drown and said to myself:
我知道我不应该在那个人还在水中时干预,但我从没想过他会淹死,心想着:’算了, —

‘Bah, it will cool him.’
这会冷静他一下。’

“I therefore ran up to the women to separate them and all I received was scratches and bites.
所以我跑过去把那两个女人分开,结果只被抓了一身伤。天哪, —

Good Lord, what creatures!
这些生物是什么东西! —

Well, it took me five minutes, and perhaps ten, to separate those two viragos.
嗯,分开那两个吵架的女人花了我五分钟,也许是十分钟。 —

When I turned round there was nothing to be seen.
当我回过头来的时候,什么也看不见了。

“The water was as smooth as a lake and the others yonder kept shouting:
水面平静得像湖一样,那边的人们还在喊:“把他捞起来! —

‘Fish him out! fish him out!’ It was all very well to say that, but I cannot swim and still less dive.
把他捞起来!’ 那说得容易,我不会游泳更不会潜水。

“At last the man from the dam came and two gentlemen with boathooks, but over a quarter of an hour had passed.
最后,水坝那边的人过来了,还有两个带着撬棍的绅士,但已经过去了一刻钟。 —

He was found at the bottom of the hole, in eight feet of water, as I have said.
如我所说,他是在八尺深的水底被发现的。 —

There he was, the poor little man, in his linen suit!
在那里,可怜的小人就站在那里,穿着他的亚麻套装! —

Those are the facts such as I have sworn to.
这些都是我宣誓后所说的事实。 —

I am innocent, on my honor.”
我发誓,我是无辜的。

The witnesses having given testimony to the same effect, the accused was acquitted.
鉴于证人们提供了相同的证词,被告被判无罪。