BY and by, when we got up, we turned over the truck the gang had stole off of the wreck, and found boots, and blankets, and clothes, and all sorts of other things, and a lot of books, and a spyglass, and three boxes of seegars. —-
经过一段时间后,我们起床后翻了翻那群流氓偷来的卡车,发现了靴子、毯子、衣服还有各种各样的东西,还有很多书、望远镜和三盒雪茄。 —-

We hadn’t ever been this rich before in neither of our lives. The seegars was prime. —-
我们两个从来没有过这么多财富,这些雪茄是顶级的。 —-

We laid off all the afternoon in the woods talking, and me reading the books, and having a general good time. —-
我们整个下午都在树林里休息,聊天,我读书,过得很开心。 —-

I told Jim all about what happened inside the wreck and at the ferryboat, and I said these kinds of things was adventures; —-
我把在沉船和渡船上发生的事情都告诉了吉姆,我说这些事情都是冒险。 —-

but he said he didn’t want no more adventures. —-
但他说他不想再经历冒险了。 —-

He said that when I went in the texas and he crawled back to get on the raft and found her gone he nearly died, because he judged it was all up with HIM anyway it could be fixed; —-
他告诉我,当我进入船舱时,他爬回去上木筏,却发现她不见了,他差点死掉,因为不管怎样都无法解决问题; —-

for if he didn’t get saved he would get drownded; —-
因为如果他没被救,他会被淹死; —-

and if he did get saved, whoever saved him would send him back home so as to get the reward, and then Miss Watson would sell him South, sure. —-
如果他被救了,谁救了他会把他送回家,以获得奖励,然后沃森小姐肯定会把他卖到南方去。 —-

Well, he was right; he was most always right; —-
嗯,他是对的;他几乎总是对的; —-

he had an uncommon level head for a nigger.
他的思维非常冷静,对于一个黑人来说很不寻常。

I read considerable to Jim about kings and dukes and earls and such, and how gaudy they dressed, and how much style they put on, and called each other your majesty, and your grace, and your lordship, and so on, ‘stead of mister; —-
我给吉姆讲了很多关于国王、公爵和伯爵等的事情,还有他们穿着多么华丽,多么讲究风格,彼此称呼”陛下”、”殿下”、”阁下”之类的,而不是先生; —-

and Jim’s eyes bugged out, and he was interested. He says:
吉姆的眼睛瞪大了,他很感兴趣。他说:

“I didn’ know dey was so many un um. I hain’t hearn ‘bout none un um, skasely, but ole King Sollermun, onless you counts dem kings dat’s in a pack er k’yards. —-
“我不知道有这么多国王呢。我几乎没有听说过他们,除了老所罗门王,或许你可以算上那副扑克牌里的国王们。 —-

How much do a king git?”
一个国王能拿到多少钱?”

“Get?” I says; “why, they get a thousand dollars a month if they want it; —-
“拿到?”我说,“如果他们想要的话,他们每个月可以拿到一千美元。” —-

they can have just as much as they want; —-
他们可以拥有他们想要的一切; —-

everything belongs to them.”
一切都属于他们。

“AIN’ dat gay? En what dey got to do, Huck?”
“那不是同性恋吗?那对于哈克有什么关系?”

“THEY don’t do nothing! Why, how you talk! They just set around.”
“他们什么也不做!你怎么这样说!他们就只是闲散地待着。”

“No; is dat so?”
“真的吗?”

“Of course it is. They just set around — except, maybe, when there’s a war; —-
“当然是。他们就只是闲散地待着,除非有战争的时候; —-

then they go to the war. But other times they just lazy around; —-
那时他们就去参战。但是其他时间他们就只是懒散地待着; —-

or go hawking — just hawking and sp — Sh! —-
或者出去捕鸟 —— 只是捕鸟还有嘘 —— —-

— d’ you hear a noise?”
—— 你听到声音了吗?”

We skipped out and looked; but it warn’t nothing but the flutter of a steamboat’s wheel away down, coming around the point; so we come back.
我们匆忙地跑出去看了看,但只是远处一艘轮船的轮子发出的声音;所以我们又回来了。

“Yes,” says I, “and other times, when things is dull, they fuss with the parlyment; —-
“是的,”我说,“其他时候,当事情很无聊的时候,他们就和议会争吵; —-

and if everybody don’t go just so he whacks their heads off. —-
如果每个人不都按照他们的意思做,他们就会砍下他们的脑袋。 —-

But mostly they hang round the harem.”
但大多数时候他们都在后宫闲逛。”

“Roun’ de which?”
“在哪里闲逛?”

“Harem.”
“后宫。”

“What’s de harem?”
“后宫是什么?”

“The place where he keeps his wives. Don’t you know about the harem? —-
“他的妻子们住的地方。你不知道后宫吗? —-

Solomon had one; he had about a million wives.”
所罗门有一个,大约有一百万妻子。”

“Why, yes, dat’s so; I — I’d done forgot it. A harem’s a bo’d’n-house, I reck’n. —-
“是的,没错,我—我都忘了。后宫就是一家寄宿处,我想。 —-

Mos’ likely dey has rackety times in de nussery. En I reck’n de wives quarrels considable; —-
很可能他们在保姆室里很吵闹。我猜妻子们常常争吵; —-

en dat ‘crease de racket. Yit dey say Sollermun de wises’ man dat ever live’. —-
这样会增加噪音。然而人们说所罗门是有史以来最聪明的人。 —-

I doan’ take no stock in dat. Bekase why: —-
我对此可不买账。为什么呢: —-

would a wise man want to live in de mids’ er sich a blim-blammin’ all de time? —-
一个聪明人为什么要住在这样一个喧嚣不停的地方呢? —-

No — ‘deed he wouldn’t. A wise man ‘ud take en buil’ a biler-factry; —-
不—的确不会。一个聪明人会建一个锅炉工厂; —-

en den he could shet DOWN de biler-factry when he want to res’.”
然后他可以在想休息时关闭锅炉工厂。”

“Well, but he WAS the wisest man, anyway; because the widow she told me so, her own self.”
“嗯,但他是最聪明的人,无论如何;因为寡妇亲自告诉我。”

“I doan k’yer what de widder say, he WARN’T no wise man nuther. —-
“我不在乎寡妇说什么,他也不是个聪明人。 —-

He had some er de dad-fetchedes’ ways I ever see. —-
他有一些我见过的最古怪的做法。 —-

Does you know ‘bout dat chile dat he ‘uz gwyne to chop in two?”
你知道他打算把一个孩子砍成两半的事吗?”

“Yes, the widow told me all about it.”
“是的,寡妇亲自告诉我了。”

“WELL, den! Warn’ dat de beatenes’ notion in de worl’? You jes’ take en look at it a minute. —-
“怎么说呢!那难道不是世间最美妙的观念吗?你只需要稍微看一眼就明白了。” —-

Dah’s de stump, dah — dat’s one er de women; heah’s you — dat’s de yuther one; I’s Sollermun; —-
“那是树桩,那个是一个女人;这是你,那个是另一个;我是所罗门; —-

en dish yer dollar bill’s de chile. Bofe un you claims it. What does I do? —-
“而这张一美元的纸币就是孩子。你们两个都声称是你的。那么我应该怎么办呢? —-

Does I shin aroun’ mongs’ de neighbors en fine out which un you de bill DO b’long to, en han’ it over to de right one, all safe en soun’, de way dat anybody dat had any gumption would? —-
“我应该四处打听一下,搞清楚这个纸币属于哪一个人,然后把它安全无恙地交给那个人,这是有点头脑的人会做的吗? —-

No; I take en whack de bill in TWO, en give half un it to you, en de yuther half to de yuther woman. Dat’s de way Sollermun was gwyne to do wid de chile. —-
“不!我把纸币打成两半,一半给你,一半给另一个女人。所罗门就打算这样对待这个孩子。 —-

Now I want to ast you: what’s de use er dat half a bill? — can’t buy noth’n wid it. —-
“现在我想问你们:那半张纸币有什么用呢?什么东西都买不了。 —-

En what use is a half a chile? I wouldn’ give a dern for a million un um.”
“那半个孩子又有什么用呢?我一个百万都不愿意为它付出一分钱。”

“But hang it, Jim, you’ve clean missed the point — blame it, you’ve missed it a thousand mile.”
“但该死,吉姆,你完全错过了重点——该死,你错过了一千里。”

“Who? Me? Go ‘long. Doan’ talk to me ‘bout yo’ pints. I reck’n I knows sense when I sees it; —-
“谁?我?少来了。别跟我扯你的观点。我想我看到它时就知道是对是错; —-

en dey ain’ no sense in sich doin’s as dat. —-
并且这种行为毫无道理可言。 —-

De ‘spute warn’t ‘bout a half a chile, de ‘spute was ‘bout a whole chile; —-
争论不是关于一半的孩子,而是关于一个完整的孩子; —-

en de man dat think he kin settle a ‘spute ‘bout a whole chile wid a half a chile doan’ know enough to come in out’n de rain. —-
而那个认为用一半的孩子来解决关于一个完整孩子的争论的人,并不足以躲避雨水。 —-

Doan’ talk to me ‘bout Sollermun, Huck, I knows him by de back.”
不要对我说所罗门,Huck,我凭肉眼就能认出他。

“But I tell you you don’t get the point.”
但我告诉你,你没有抓住要点。

“Blame de point! I reck’n I knows what I knows. —-
别去管什么要点!我知道自己知道什么。 —-

En mine you, de REAL pint is down furder — it’s down deeper. —-
你可要注意,真正的要点还在更深处 – 它在更深的地方。 —-

It lays in de way Sollermun was raised. You take a man dat’s got on’y one or two chillen; —-
这在所罗门的成长方式中融入了。你拿一个只有一两个孩子的人来说; —-

is dat man gwyne to be waseful o’ chillen? No, he ain’t; he can’t ‘ford it. —-
那个人会对孩子浪费吗?不会,他付不起。 —-

HE know how to value ‘em. But you take a man dat’s got ‘bout five million chillen runnin’ roun’ de house, en it’s diffunt. —-
他知道如何珍惜他们。但是如果一个人家里有大约五百万个孩子跑来跑去,情况就不一样了。 —-

HE as soon chop a chile in two as a cat. Dey’s plenty mo’. —-
他宁可把孩子砍成两半,也不愿意杀猫。还有很多呢。 —-

A chile er two, mo’ er less, warn’t no consekens to Sollermun, dad fatch him!”
对所罗门来说,多一个或少一个孩子都无所谓。

I never see such a nigger. If he got a notion in his head once, there warn’t no getting it out again. He was the most down on Solomon of any nigger I ever see. —-
我从来没见过这样的黑人。他一旦有了想法,就无法改变。他对所罗门最不满意了,比我见过的任何一个黑人都不喜欢他。 —-

So I went to talking about other kings, and let Solomon slide. —-
所以我开始谈论其他国王,而不提所罗门。 —-

I told about Louis Sixteenth that got his head cut off in France long time ago; —-
我讲述了很久以前在法国被砍掉头的路易十六, —-

and about his little boy the dolphin, that would a been a king, but they took and shut him up in jail, and some say he died there.
还有他的小儿子德尔芬,他本来可能成为国王,但他们把他关进监狱,有人说他就在那儿死了。

“Po’ little chap.”
“可怜的小家伙。”

“But some says he got out and got away, and come to America.”
“但有人说他逃出来了,来到了美国。”

“Dat’s good! But he’ll be pooty lonesome — dey ain’ no kings here, is dey, Huck?”
“太好了!但是他会很孤单吗?这儿没有国王,对吧,Huck?”

“No.”
“没有。”

“Den he cain’t git no situation. What he gwyne to do?”
“那么他就找不到工作了。他该怎么办?”

“Well, I don’t know. Some of them gets on the police, and some of them learns people how to talk French.”
“哦,我不知道。有些人加入了警察局,有些人教人们如何说法语。”

“Why, Huck, doan’ de French people talk de same way we does?”
“为什么,哈克,法国人不会像我们一样说话吗?”

“NO, Jim; you couldn’t understand a word they said — not a single word.”
“不,吉姆;你听不懂他们说的一句话——一句话都听不懂。”

“Well, now, I be ding-busted! How do dat come?”
“哦,我要吃大便!这怎么回事?”

“I don’t know; but it’s so. I got some of their jabber out of a book. —-
“我不知道;但是事实就是这样。我在一本书里找到了一些他们的胡言乱语。” —-

S’pose a man was to come to you and say Polly-voo-franzy — what would you think?”
“假设一个人走到你面前说Polly-voo-franzy——你会怎么想?”

“I wouldn’ think nuff’n; I’d take en bust him over de head — dat is, if he warn’t white. —-
“我什么都不会想;我会把他打晕——当然,如果他不是白人的话。我是不会让任何黑人这样称呼我的。” —-

I wouldn’t ‘low no nigger to call me dat.”
“嘿,这不是在称呼你。只是在问,你会说法语吗?”

“Shucks, it ain’t calling you anything. It’s only saying, do you know how to talk French?”
“额,这样也不行。他为什么不直接说呢?”

“Well, den, why couldn’t he SAY it?”
“呃,他就是在说啊。这是法国人说话的方式。”

“Why, he IS a-saying it. That’s a Frenchman’s WAY of saying it.”
“嗯,这种方式太荒谬了,不想听这个了。”

“Well, it’s a blame ridicklous way, en I doan’ want to hear no mo’ ‘bout it. —-
“这不合情理。” —-

Dey ain’ no sense in it.”
“听着,吉姆,猫会像我们一样说话吗?”

“Looky here, Jim; does a cat talk like we do?”
“不,猫不会。”

“No, a cat don’t.”
“No, a cat don’t.”

“Well, does a cow?”
“嗯,牛会说话吗?”

“No, a cow don’t, nuther.”
“不,牛不会,也不会别的动物。”

“Does a cat talk like a cow, or a cow talk like a cat?”
“猫会像牛一样说话,还是牛会像猫一样说话?”

“No, dey don’t.”
“不会。”

“It’s natural and right for ‘em to talk different from each other, ain’t it?”
“它们之间的说话方式不一样,这是自然而然的,对吧?”

“Course.”
“当然。”

“And ain’t it natural and right for a cat and a cow to talk different from US?”
“那么,猫和牛与我们说话方式不同,这也是自然而然的和正确的,对吧?”

“Why, mos’ sholy it is.”
“是的,当然是。”

“Well, then, why ain’t it natural and right for a FRENCHMAN to talk different from us? —-
“那么,法国人和我们说话方式不同,为什么就不是自然而然和正确的呢? —-

You answer me that.”
你回答我这个。”

“Is a cat a man, Huck?”
“一只猫是人吗,Huck?”

“No.”
“不,不是。”

“Well, den, dey ain’t no sense in a cat talkin’ like a man. Is a cow a man? — er is a cow a cat?”
“那么,猫就没有理由说话像人。一只牛是人吗?还是一头牛是一只猫?”

“No, she ain’t either of them.”
“不,她不是它们中的任何一个。”

“Well, den, she ain’t got no business to talk like either one er the yuther of ‘em. —-
“那么,她就没有理由说话像其中的任何一个。 —-

Is a Frenchman a man?”
“法国人是一个人吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

“WELL, den! Dad blame it, why doan’ he TALK like a man? You answer me DAT!”
“那么好!真该死,为什么他不像个男人一样说话?你回答我!”

I see it warn’t no use wasting words — you can’t learn a nigger to argue. So I quit.
“看来白费口舌了——你教不会黑人争论。所以我退了。”