Geppetto makes Pinocchio a new pair of feet, and sells his coat to buy him an A-B-C book.
Geppetto给Pinocchio做了一双新脚,卖掉了自己的外套给他买了一本A-B-C的书。

The Marionette, as soon as his hunger was appeased, started to grumble and cry that he wanted a new pair of feet.
当木偶一旦解决了饥饿问题,就开始抱怨和哭泣,说他想要一双新脚。

But Mastro Geppetto, in order to punish him for his mischief, let him alone the whole morning.
但是为了惩罚他的淘气行为,Mastro Geppetto整个上午都不理他。午饭后, —

After dinner he said to him:
他对木偶说:

“Why should I make your feet over again?
“为什么我要重新给你做脚? —

To see you run away from home once more?”
只是为了看你再次离家出走?”

“I promise you,” answered the Marionette, sobbing, “that from now on I’ll be good–”
“我保证,”木偶抽泣着回答说,“从现在开始,我会听话–”

“Boys always promise that when they want something, ” said Geppetto.
“男孩们总是在想要某些东西的时候才做出这样的承诺,”Geppetto说。

“I promise to go to school every day, to study, and to succeed–”
“我保证每天去上学,学习,取得成功–”

“Boys always sing that song when they want their own will.”
“男孩们总是在想要自己的意愿时才唱这首歌。”

“But I am not like other boys!
“但是我不像其他男孩! —

I am better than all of them and I always tell the truth.
我比他们都好,而且我总是说实话。” —

I promise you, Father, that I’ll learn a trade, and I’ll be the comfort and staff of your old age.”
“爸爸,我向你保证我会学一门手艺,成为你年纪大了的安慰和支柱。”

Geppetto, though trying to look very stern, felt his eyes fill with tears and his heart soften when he saw Pinocchio so unhappy.
吉卜力当时试图看上去很严肃,但当他看到皮诺曹如此不快乐时,他的眼睛便充满了泪水,心也变得柔软。 —

He said no more, but taking his tools and two pieces of wood, he set to work diligently.
他没有再说什么,但是拿起他的工具和两块木头,勤奋地开始工作。

In less than an hour the feet were finished, two slender, nimble little feet, strong and quick, modeled as if by an artist’s hands.
不到一个小时,脚就完成了,两个纤细、灵活、坚固而快捷的小脚,仿佛是由艺术家的手雕刻出来的。

“Close your eyes and sleep!
“闭上你的眼睛,睡觉吧! —

” Geppetto then said to the Marionette.
”吉卜力对木偶说道。

Pinocchio closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep, while Geppetto stuck on the two feet with a bit of glue melted in an eggshell, doing his work so well that the joint could hardly be seen.
皮诺曹闭上眼睛,假装睡着了,而吉卜力则用一点在鸡蛋壳里熔化的胶水把两只脚粘上去,他的手艺如此之好,几乎看不出有接缝。

As soon as the Marionette felt his new feet, he gave one leap from the table and started to skip and jump around, as if he had lost his head from very joy.
刚感觉到自己的新脚,木偶就从桌子上跳了下来,开始欢快地跳跃和蹦跳,仿佛因为过于开心而失去了理智。

“To show you how grateful I am to you, Father, I’ll go to school now.
“为了向您表示我有多感激您,父亲,我现在就去上学。 —

But to go to school I need a suit of clothes.”
但是去上学我需要一套衣服。”

Geppetto did not have a penny in his pocket, so he made his son a little suit of flowered paper, a pair of shoes from the bark of a tree, and a tiny cap from a bit of dough.
乔佩托口袋里没有一分钱,所以他用花纸做了他儿子一套小礼服,用树皮做了一双鞋,用面团做了一顶小帽子。

Pinocchio ran to look at himself in a bowl of water, and he felt so happy that he said proudly:
皮诺曹跑去镜子前照了照自己,他感到非常开心,骄傲地说道:

“Now I look like a gentleman.”
“我看上去像一个绅士了。”

“Truly,” answered Geppetto.
“确实如此,”乔佩托回答说。 —

“But remember that fine clothes do not make the man unless they be neat and clean.”
“但要记住,衣冠楚楚并不能决定一个人,除非他们整洁干净。”

“Very true,” answered Pinocchio, “but, in order to go to school, I still need something very important.”
“说得对,”皮诺曹回答道,“但是,为了上学,我还需要一样非常重要的东西。”

“What is it?”
“是什么?”

“An A-B-C book.”
“一本A-B-C的书。”

“To be sure! But how shall we get it?”
“当然!但我们怎样去买呢?”

“That’s easy. We’ll go to a bookstore and buy it.”
“那很容易。我们可以去书店买。”

“And the money?”
“那钱呢?”

“I have none.”
“我没有。”

“Neither have I,” said the old man sadly.
“我也没有,”老人伤心地说道。

Pinocchio, although a happy boy always, became sad and downcast at these words.
皮诺曹虽然总是开心的孩子,但他听到这些话后变得悲伤和沮丧。 —

When poverty shows itself, even mischievous boys understand what it means.
当贫穷显露出来时,即使调皮的孩子也能理解其中的意义。

“What does it matter, after all?
“毕竟这有什么关系呢? —

” cried Geppetto all at once, as he jumped up from his chair.
”吉佩托突然从椅子上跳起来大喊道。 —

Putting on his old coat, full of darns and patches, he ran out of the house without another word.
他穿上旧衣服,布满了补丁,一言不发地跑出了家门。

After a while he returned.
过了一会儿,他回来了。 —

In his hands he had the A-B-C book for his son, but the old coat was gone.
他手里拿着儿子的A-B-C 书,但旧衣服不见了。 —

The poor fellow was in his shirt sleeves and the day was cold.
可怜的家伙光着袖子,天气却很冷。

“Where’s your coat, Father?”
“爸爸,你的外套呢?”

“I have sold it.”
“我卖了。”

“Why did you sell your coat?”
“为什么把外套卖了?”

“It was too warm.”
“太热了。”

Pinocchio understood the answer in a twinkling, and, unable to restrain his tears, he jumped on his father’s neck and kissed him over and over.
匹诺曹立刻明白了回答,情不自禁地扑到父亲的脖子上,一次又一次地亲吻他。