Fire Eater sneezes and forgives Pinocchio, who saves his friend, Harlequin, from death.
火食者打喷嚏并原谅了匹诺曹,匹诺曹救了他的朋友哈利奎因免于死亡。

In the theater, great excitement reigned.
在剧院里,充满了巨大的兴奋。

Fire Eater (this was really his name) was very ugly, but he was far from being as bad as he looked.
火食者(这确实是他的名字)非常丑陋,但他并不像他看起来那么坏。 —

Proof of this is that, when he saw the poor Marionette being brought in to him, struggling with fear and crying, “I don’t want to die!
证明这一点的是,当他看到可怜的木偶被带到他面前,恐惧地挣扎着喊道:“我不想死! —

I don’t want to die!
我不想死! —

” he felt sorry for him and began first to waver and then to weaken.
”他为他感到难过,开始动摇,然后变得软弱。 —

Finally, he could control himself no longer and gave a loud sneeze.
最后,他再也无法控制自己,打了一个响亮的喷嚏。

At that sneeze, Harlequin, who until then had been as sad as a weeping willow, smiled happily and leaning toward the Marionette, whispered to him:
在那个喷嚏声中,一直像一个柳树那样悲伤的哈利奎因开心地微笑着,向匹诺曹倾斜着身体,对他耳语道:

“Good news, brother mine!
“好消息呀,亲爱的兄弟! —

Fire Eater has sneezed and this is a sign that he feels sorry for you.
火食者打了喷嚏,这意味着他为你感到难过。 —

You are saved!”
你得救了!”

For be it known, that, while other people, when sad and sorrowful, weep and wipe their eyes, Fire Eater, on the other hand, had the strange habit of sneezing each time he felt unhappy.
因为众所周知,当其他人感到悲伤和忧伤时,会流泪擦拭他们的眼睛,而火食者却有一个奇怪的习惯,每当他感到不快时就会打喷嚏。 —

The way was just as good as any other to show the kindness of his heart.
这种方式与其他方式一样能展示他善良的心。

After sneezing, Fire Eater, ugly as ever, cried to Pinocchio:
打了个喷嚏后,火食人魔依旧丑陋,对皮诺曹喊道:

“Stop crying! Your wails give me a funny feeling down here in my stomach and–E–tchee!
“别哭了!你的哭声让我肚子里有一种奇怪的感觉,还有,哈啾! —

–E–tchee!” Two loud sneezes finished his speech.
哈啾!”他说完就连连打着喷嚏。

“God bless you!” said Pinocchio.
“上帝保佑你!”皮诺曹说。

“Thanks! Are your father and mother still living?
“谢谢!你的父亲和母亲还在吗? —

” demanded Fire Eater.
”火食人魔追问道。

“My father, yes. My mother I have never known.”
“我的父亲还在,母亲我从未见过。”

“Your poor father would suffer terribly if I were to use you as firewood.
“如果我用你当柴火,你的可怜父亲将会非常痛苦。可怜的老人! —

Poor old man! I feel sorry for him!
我为他感到难过! —

E–tchee! E–tchee! E–tchee!
“哈啾!哈啾!哈啾! —

” Three more sneezes sounded, louder than ever.
”火食人魔又打了三个喷嚏,声音比之前还要响亮。

“God bless you!” said Pinocchio.
“神保佑你!”皮诺曹说。

“Thanks! However, I ought to be sorry for myself, too, just now. My good dinner is spoiled.
“谢谢!但是,现在我也该为自己感到难过。我好吃的晚餐被搞糟了。 —

I have no more wood for the fire, and the lamb is only half cooked.
我没有更多的柴火,羊肉只煮了一半。没关系! —

Never mind!

In your place I’ll burn some other Marionette.
在你的位置上,我会烧其他的木偶。 —

Hey there! Officers!”
喂!警官们!”

At the call, two wooden officers appeared, long and thin as a yard of rope, with queer hats on their heads and swords in their hands.
电话响了,两个木偶警察出现了,长得细长如同一块绳子,头上戴着奇异的帽子,手里拿着剑。

Fire Eater yelled at them in a hoarse voice:
火食人用嘶哑的声音对他们大喊道:

“Take Harlequin, tie him, and throw him on the fire.
“把哈利奎恩抓住,捆起来,扔进火里。 —

I want my lamb well done!”
我要把我的小羔羊烤熟!”

Think how poor Harlequin felt!
哈利奎恩感到无比惊恐, —

He was so scared that his legs doubled up under him and he fell to the floor.
双腿抖得像绞在一起,瘫倒在地上。

Pinocchio, at that heartbreaking sight, threw himself at the feet of Fire Eater and, weeping bitterly, asked in a pitiful voice which could scarcely be heard:
皮诺曹看到这令人心碎的一幕,扑到火食人的脚下,哭得伤心欲绝,凄厉的声音几乎难以听清地求道:

“Have pity, I beg of you, signore!”
“请您怜悯,我请求您!”

“There are no signori here!”
“这里没有爷们儿!”

“Have pity, kind sir!”
“请您怜悯,善良的先生!”

“There are no sirs here!”
“这里没有先生!”

“Have pity, your Excellency!”
“请您怜悯,阁下!”

On hearing himself addressed as your Excellency, the Director of the Marionette Theater sat up very straight in his chair, stroked his long beard, and becoming suddenly kind and compassionate, smiled proudly as he said to Pinocchio:
听到自己被称为阁下,木偶剧院导演坐直了身子,抚摸着长胡须,突然变得亲切而富有同情心,自豪地笑着对皮诺曹说:

“Well, what do you want from me now, Marionette?”
“好吧,你现在想跟我要什么,木偶?”

“I beg for mercy for my poor friend, Harlequin, who has never done the least harm in his life.”
“我为我可怜的朋友哈雷奎因恳求宽恕,他一生从未做过任何伤害。”

“There is no mercy here, Pinocchio.
“这里没有宽恕,匹诺曹。 —

I have spared you. Harlequin must burn in your place.
我已经饶了你一次。哈雷奎因必须替你付出代价。 —

I am hungry and my dinner must be cooked.”
我饿了,我的晚餐必须被烹饪。”

“In that case,” said Pinocchio proudly, as he stood up and flung away his cap of dough, “in that case, my duty is clear.
“既然如此,”匹诺曹自豪地说道,他站起身,扔掉了他的面团帽子,“那我的职责就很明确了。来吧, —

Come, officers!
警官们! —

Tie me up and throw me on those flames. No, it is not fair for poor Harlequin, the best friend that I have in the world, to die in my place!”
捆绑我,把我推到那些火焰之中。不,可怜的哈雷奎因不能替我死去,他是我在世界上最好的朋友!”

These brave words, said in a piercing voice, made all the other Marionettes cry.
这些勇敢的话语以尖锐的声音说出来,让其他的木偶们都哭了起来。 —

Even the officers, who were made of wood also, cried like two babies.
甚至那些也是木头制成的警官们也哭得像两个婴儿一样。

Fire Eater at first remained hard and cold as a piece of ice;
开初,火食者像一块冰一样冷酷无情。 —

but then, little by little, he softened and began to sneeze.
但是,渐渐地,他软化了,开始打喷嚏。 —

And after four or five sneezes, he opened wide his arms and said to Pinocchio:
说了四五个喷嚏之后,他张开双臂对匹诺曹说道:

“You are a brave boy!
“你是一个勇敢的孩子! —

Come to my arms and kiss me!”
来吧,拥抱我并亲吻我吧!”

Pinocchio ran to him and scurrying like a squirrel up the long black beard, he gave Fire Eater a loving kiss on the tip of his nose.
皮诺曹飞奔向他,像松鼠一样匆忙地爬上那长长的黑胡子,他亲热地吻了一下火食人的鼻尖。

“Has pardon been granted to me?
“我被赦免了吗? —

” asked poor Harlequin with a voice that was hardly a breath.
”可怜的哈里欠几乎没有声音地问道。

“Pardon is yours!” answered Fire Eater;
“你被赦免了!”火食人回答道, —

and sighing and wagging his head, he added:
他叹了口气,摇摇头,接着说道: —

“Well, tonight I shall have to eat my lamb only half cooked, but beware the next time, Marionettes.”
“好吧,今晚我得以半生的方式吃了我的羊羔,但下次小木偶们要小心。”

At the news that pardon had been given, the Marionettes ran to the stage and, turning on all the lights, they danced and sang till dawn.
听到赦免的消息,小木偶们跑到舞台上,打开所有的灯光,直到天亮他们跳舞唱歌。