Pinocchio finally ceases to be a Marionette and becomes a boy
匹诺曹最终不再是一个木偶,成为了一个男孩。

“My dear Father, we are saved!
“亲爱的父亲,我们获救了! —

” cried the Marionette.
”木偶喊道, —

“All we have to do now is to get to the shore, and that is easy.”
“现在我们只需要到达岸边,那很容易。”

Without another word, he swam swiftly away in an effort to reach land as soon as possible.
他没有再说一句话,迅速地划着水,努力尽快到达陆地。 —

All at once he noticed that Geppetto was shivering and shaking as if with a high fever.
突然,他注意到乔佩托在发抖,仿佛有高烧一样。

Was he shivering from fear or from cold?
他是因为害怕还是因为寒冷发抖? —

Who knows? Perhaps a little of both.
谁知道呢?也许两者都有一点。 —

But Pinocchio, thinking his father was frightened, tried to comfort him by saying:
但是匹诺曹以为父亲害怕了,试图通过说:

“Courage, Father! In a few moments we shall be safe on land.”
“勇敢一点,爸爸!我们马上就能安全上岸。”来安慰他。

“But where is that blessed shore?
“但是那个该死的岸在哪儿? —

” asked the little old man, more and more worried as he tried to pierce the faraway shadows.
”小老头越来越担心,试图看穿远方的阴影。 —

“Here I am searching on all sides and I see nothing but sea and sky.”
“我在四面八方搜索了,却什么都没有看到,只有海和天空。”

“I see the shore,” said the Marionette.
“我看见岸了,”木偶说, —

“Remember, Father, that I am like a cat.
“父亲,请记住我像只猫, —

I see better at night than by day.”
夜晚看得比白天好。”

Poor Pinocchio pretended to be peaceful and contented, but he was far from that.
可怜的皮诺曹似乎在假装平静和满足,但实际上远非如此。 —

He was beginning to feel discouraged, his strength was leaving him, and his breathing was becoming more and more labored.
他开始感到灰心丧气,力量转移得无影无踪,呼吸也越来越困难。 —

He felt he could not go on much longer, and the shore was still far away.
他感觉自己不能再坚持多久,而岸边还很遥远。

He swam a few more strokes.
他再划了几下水。 —

Then he turned to Geppetto and cried out weakly:
然后他转向乔佩托,虚弱地喊道:

“Help me, Father! Help, for I am dying!”
“爸爸,救救我!我快死了!”

Father and son were really about to drown when they heard a voice like a guitar out of tune call from the sea:
父子俩真的快要淹死时,他们听到了海上像琴弦走调的声音问道:

“What is the trouble?”
“出了什么事?”

“It is I and my poor father.”
“是我和我可怜的父亲。”

“I know the voice. You are Pinocchio.”
“我认识这个声音。你就是皮诺曹。”

“Exactly. And you?”
“没错。那你呢?”

“I am the Tunny, your companion in the Shark’s stomach.”
“我是金枪鱼,曾在鲨鱼的肚子里作伴。”

“And how did you escape?”
“你是怎么逃出来的?”

“I imitated your example.
“我效仿你的榜样。 —

You are the one who showed me the way and after you went, I followed.”
你是向我指示了路线,你走后,我就跟随着。”

“Tunny, you arrived at the right moment!
“金枪鱼,你来得正是时候! —

I implore you, for the love you bear your children, the little Tunnies, to help us, or we are lost!”
我恳求你,出于你对你的孩子的疼爱,帮助我们,否则我们就完了!”

“With great pleasure indeed. Hang onto my tail, both of you, and let me lead you.
“非常高兴。抓住我的尾巴,你们两个,让我带领你们。眨眼间, —

In a twinkling you will be safe on land.”
你们就会安全上岸。”

Geppetto and Pinocchio, as you can easily imagine, did not refuse the invitation;
吉佩托和匹诺曹,正如你们可以想象的那样,没有拒绝邀请; —

indeed, instead of hanging onto the tail, they thought it better to climb on the Tunny’s back.
事实上,他们没有抓住尾巴,而是觉得最好爬上金枪鱼的背上。

“Are we too heavy?” asked Pinocchio.
“我们太重吗?”匹诺曹问道。

“Heavy? Not in the least.
“一点也不重。 —

You are as light as sea-shells, ” answered the Tunny, who was as large as a two-year-old horse.
你们像贝壳一样轻”,金枪鱼回答道,它像一匹两岁大的马那么大。

As soon as they reached the shore, Pinocchio was the first to jump to the ground to help his old father.
当他们到达岸边,匹诺曹第一个跳到地上去帮助他那年迈的父亲。 —

Then he turned to the fish and said to him:
然后他转向鱼说:

“Dear friend, you have saved my father, and I have not enough words with which to thank you!
“亲爱的朋友,你救了我的父亲,我没有足够的话来感谢你! —

Allow me to embrace you as a sign of my eternal gratitude.”
请允许我拥抱你,作为我永恒的感激之情。”

The Tunny stuck his nose out of the water and Pinocchio knelt on the sand and kissed him most affectionately on his cheek.
金枪鱼把它的鼻子伸出水面,匹诺曹跪在沙滩上,亲吻他的脸颊表达深深的感激之情。 —

At this warm greeting, the poor Tunny, who was not used to such tenderness, wept like a child.
这个热情的问候让可怜的Tunny感动得像个孩子一样流泪了。 —

He felt so embarrassed and ashamed that he turned quickly, plunged into the sea, and disappeared.
他感到非常尴尬和羞耻,连忙转身跳入海中,消失了。

In the meantime day had dawned.
与此同时,天已经大亮了。

Pinocchio offered his arm to Geppetto, who was so weak he could hardly stand, and said to him:
Pinocchio搀扶着虚弱得几乎站不稳的Geppetto,对他说道:

“Lean on my arm, dear Father, and let us go.
“亲爱的爸爸,扶着我的胳膊,让我们走吧。 —

We will walk very, very slowly, and if we feel tired we can rest by the wayside.”
我们会走得很慢很慢,如果感到累了,可以在路边休息一下。”

“And where are we going?” asked Geppetto.
“我们要去哪里?”Geppetto问道。

“To look for a house or a hut, where they will be kind enough to give us a bite of bread and a bit of straw to sleep on.”
“去找一个房子或棚屋,在那里他们会很慷慨地给我们一口面包和一点干草睡觉。”

They had not taken a hundred steps when they saw two rough-looking individuals sitting on a stone begging for alms.
他们走了不到一百步,就看到两个样子很粗野的人坐在石头上行乞。

It was the Fox and the Cat, but one could hardly recognize them, they looked so miserable.
那是狐狸和猫,但他们几乎认不出来了,看上去非常悲惨。 —

The Cat, after pretending to be blind for so many years had really lost the sight of both eyes.
那只猫假装盲眼了那么多年后,真的失去了双眼的视力。 —

And the Fox, old, thin, and almost hairless, had even lost his tail.
而那只狐狸,又老又瘦,几乎没有毛,尾巴还断了。 —

That sly thief had fallen into deepest poverty, and one day he had been forced to sell his beautiful tail for a bite to eat.
那个狡猾的贼已经陷入了最深的贫困之中,有一天,他被迫卖掉了自己美丽的尾巴来填饱肚子。

“Oh, Pinocchio,” he cried in a tearful voice.
“哦,皮诺曹,”他用眼泪梨花带雨的声音喊道, —

“Give us some alms, we beg of you!
“施舍点儿吧,我们求求你! —

We are old, tired, and sick.”
我们又老又累,还有病。”

“Sick!” repeated the Cat.
“病!”猫重复道。

“Addio, false friends!
“再见了,虚伪的朋友! —

” answered the Marionette.
”木偶回答道, —

“You cheated me once, but you will never catch me again.”
“你们曾经骗过我,但你们永远也不会再抓住我了。”

“Believe us! Today we are truly poor and starving.”
“相信我们!今天我们真的又穷又饿。”

“Starving!” repeated the Cat.
“饿!”猫重复道。

“If you are poor; you deserve it!
“如果你们穷,那是活该! —

Remember the old proverb which says:
记住古老的谚语: —

‘Stolen money never bears fruit.
‘偷来的钱永远不会结出果实。’再见了, —

’ Addio, false friends.”
虚伪的朋友。”

“Have mercy on us!”
“饶了我们吧!”

“On us.”
“饶了我们。”

“Addio, false friends.
“再见了,虚伪的朋友。 —

Remember the old proverb which says:
记住古老的谚语: —

‘Bad wheat always makes poor bread!’”
‘坏面粉总是做出糟糕的面包!’”

“Do not abandon us.”
“不要抛弃我们。”

“Abandon us,” repeated the Cat.
“抛弃我们。”猫重复道。

“Addio, false friends. Remember the old proverb:
“再见了,虚伪的朋友。记住古老的谚语: —

‘Whoever steals his neighbor’s shirt, usually dies without his own.’”
‘偷邻居的衬衣的人,通常死时没有自己的衬衣。”

Waving good-by to them, Pinocchio and Geppetto calmly went on their way.
向他们挥手道别后,皮诺曹和杰佩托平静地继续他们的路程。 —

After a few more steps, they saw, at the end of a long road near a clump of trees, a tiny cottage built of straw.
再走几步后,在一片树丛附近的尽头,他们看到了一个用稻草搭成的小屋。

“Someone must live in that little hut, ” said Pinocchio. “Let us see for ourselves.”
“一定有人住在那个小屋里,”皮诺曹说道,“我们亲自去看看吧。”

They went and knocked at the door.
他们走过去敲了敲门。

“Who is it?” said a little voice from within.
“是谁?”从屋内传来一个小声音。

“A poor father and a poorer son, without food and with no roof to cover them, ” answered the Marionette.
“一个贫困的父亲和更贫穷的儿子,没有食物,也没有屋顶可盖。”皮诺曹回答道。

“Turn the key and the door will open, ” said the same little voice.
“转动钥匙,门就会打开,”同样的小声音说道。

Pinocchio turned the key and the door opened.
皮诺曹转动了钥匙,门打开了。 —

As soon as they went in, they looked here and there and everywhere but saw no one.
他们一进去,到处看了看,却没有看到任何人。

“Oh–ho, where is the owner of the hut?
“哦,哦,这个小屋的主人在哪里? —

” cried Pinocchio, very much surprised.
”皮诺曹惊讶地说道。

“Here I am, up here!”
“在这里,我在这里!”

Father and son looked up to the ceiling, and there on a beam sat the Talking Cricket.
父亲和儿子抬头看着天花板,那里坐着一只会说话的蟋蟀。

“Oh, my dear Cricket, ” said Pinocchio, bowing politely.
“哦,我亲爱的蟋蟀,”皮诺曹客气地鞠躬说道。

“Oh, now you call me your dear Cricket, but do you remember when you threw your hammer at me to kill me?”
“哦,现在你称我为你亲爱的Cricket了,但是你还记得当初你扔锤子想杀死我吗?”

“You are right, dear Cricket.
“你说得对,亲爱的Cricket。 —

Throw a hammer at me now. I deserve it!
现在扔把锤子打我吧。我应该受罚! —

But spare my poor old father.”
但是饶了我可怜的老父亲。”

“I am going to spare both the father and the son. I have only wanted to remind you of the trick you long ago played upon me, to teach you that in this world of ours we must be kind and courteous to others, if we want to find kindness and courtesy in our own days of trouble.”
“我将饶恕父子两人。我只是想提醒你们,我们在这个世界上必须对他人友善有礼,如果我们希望在自己遇到困难时得到友善与礼貌。”

“You are right, little Cricket, you are more than right, and I shall remember the lesson you have taught me.
“你说得对,小Cricket,你绝对正确,我将会记住你给予我的教训。” —

But will you tell how you succeeded in buying this pretty little cottage?”
“但是你能告诉我你是如何成功买下这座漂亮的小屋的吗?”

“This cottage was given to me yesterday by a little Goat with blue hair.”
“这座小屋昨天是由一只有蓝色毛发的小山羊送给我的。”

“And where did the Goat go?” asked Pinocchio.
“那这只山羊去哪儿了?”皮诺曹问道。

“I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

“And when will she come back?”
“她什么时候会回来?”

“She will never come back.
“她永远不会回来了。 —

Yesterday she went away bleating sadly, and it seemed to me she said:
昨天她悲伤地咩咩叫着离开,我好像听见她说: —

‘Poor Pinocchio, I shall never see him again. .
“可怜的匹诺曹,我再也见不到他了。 —

.the Shark must have eaten him by this time.’”
……这时候鲨鱼肯定已经把他吃掉了。”

“Were those her real words?
“那是她说的真正的话吗? —

Then it was she–it was–my dear little Fairy, ” cried out Pinocchio, sobbing bitterly.
那就是她——那就是——我亲爱的小仙女,”匹诺曹哭得大声喊道。 —

After he had cried a long time, he wiped his eyes and then he made a bed of straw for old Geppetto.
哭了很长时间之后,他擦干眼泪,然后为老乔培托做了一张稻草床。 —

He laid him on it and said to the Talking Cricket:
他把他放在上面,对着说话的小蟋蟀说道:

“Tell me, little Cricket, where shall I find a glass of milk for my poor Father?”
“告诉我,小蟋蟀,我要去哪里给我可怜的爸爸找一杯牛奶?”

“Three fields away from here lives Farmer John. He has some cows.
“离这里有三块田地的地方住着农民约翰。他有一些奶牛。 —

Go there and he will give you what you want.”
去那里,他会给你想要的东西。”

Pinocchio ran all the way to Farmer John’s house.
匹诺曹一路跑到了农民约翰的房子。 —

The Farmer said to him:
农民对他说:

“How much milk do you want?”
“你要多少牛奶?”

“I want a full glass.”
“我要一杯满满的。”

“A full glass costs a penny.
“一杯满满的要一便士。 —

First give me the penny.”
先给我那一便士。”

“I have no penny,” answered Pinocchio, sad and ashamed.
“我没有便士,”匹诺曹难过而又惭愧地回答道。

“Very bad, my Marionette, ” answered the Farmer, “very bad.
“非常糟糕,我的木偶,非常糟糕。如果你没有便士, —

If you have no penny, I have no milk.”
我就没有牛奶。”

“Too bad,” said Pinocchio and started to go.
“太糟糕了。”匹诺曹说着开始离开。

“Wait a moment,” said Farmer John. “Perhaps we can come to terms.
“等一下,”农夫约翰说。“也许我们可以达成协议。 —

Do you know how to draw water from a well?”
你知道如何从井里打水吗?”

“I can try.”
“我可以试试。”

“Then go to that well you see yonder and draw one hundred bucketfuls of water.”
“那么去那边看到的井里打一百桶水。”

“Very well.”
“好的。”

“After you have finished, I shall give you a glass of warm sweet milk.”
“你完成后,我会给你一杯温暖甜美的牛奶。”

“I am satisfied.”
“我满意了。”

Farmer John took the Marionette to the well and showed him how to draw the water.
约翰农夫带着木偶去了井边,并向他展示如何打水。 —

Pinocchio set to work as well as he knew how, but long before he had pulled up the one hundred buckets, he was tired out and dripping with perspiration.
皮诺曹尽力而为,但在他提起一百桶水之前,他已经筋疲力尽,浑身大汗淋漓。 —

He had never worked so hard in his life.
他从未如此辛苦地工作过。

“Until today,” said the Farmer, “my donkey has drawn the water for me, but now that poor animal is dying.”
“直到今天,”农夫说,“我的驴为我打水,但现在那只可怜的动物快死了。”

“Will you take me to see him?” said Pinocchio.
“你带我去看看它吧?”皮诺曹说。

“Gladly.”
“愿意。”

As soon as Pinocchio went into the stable, he spied a little Donkey lying on a bed of straw in the corner of the stable.
皮诺曹一走进马厩,就看到一只小毛驴躺在稻草上的角落里。 —

He was worn out from hunger and too much work.
他因饥饿和过度劳累而筋疲力尽。 —

After looking at him a long time, he said to himself:
长时间盯着他看后,他对自己说道: —

“I know that Donkey! I have seen him before.”
“我认识这匹驴子!我以前见过它。”

And bending low over him, he asked: “Who are you?”
弯下腰,他问道:” 你是谁?”

At this question, the Donkey opened weary, dying eyes and answered in the same tongue:
听到这个问题,驴子疲惫至极的眼睛睁开了,用同样的语言回答道:” —

“I am Lamp-Wick.”
我是电灯泡。”

Then he closed his eyes and died.
然后他闭上眼睛,死去了。

“Oh, my poor Lamp-Wick, ” said Pinocchio in a faint voice, as he wiped his eyes with some straw he had picked up from the ground.
“哦,我可怜的电灯泡啊。” 皮诺曹用一把从地上拾起的稻草擦着眼睛,轻声说道。

“Do you feel so sorry for a little donkey that has cost you nothing?
“你对一个没有给你带来任何好处的小驴子感到这么难过?” —

” said the Farmer.
农夫说道。 —

“What should I do–I, who have paid my good money for him?”
“那我应该怎么办呢-我已经花了好钱买下它了。”

“But, you see, he was my friend.”
“但你知道,它是我的朋友。”

“Your friend?”
“你的朋友?”

“A classmate of mine.”
“是我同班同学。”

“What,” shouted Farmer John, bursting out laughing. “What!
“什么,”约翰农夫大声喊道,放声大笑起来。”什么! —

You had donkeys in your school?
你的学校里还有驴子? —

How you must have studied!”
你一定很用功啊!”

The Marionette, ashamed and hurt by those words, did not answer, but taking his glass of milk returned to his father.
这个木偶因这些话感到羞愧和受伤,没有回答,只是拿起他的牛奶杯回到他父亲身边。

From that day on, for more than five months, Pinocchio got up every morning just as dawn was breaking and went to the farm to draw water.
从那天起,五个多月来,每天黎明时分,匹诺曹都会起床去农场打水。 —

And every day he was given a glass of warm milk for his poor old father, who grew stronger and better day by day.
每天他都会为他那可怜的老爸倒一杯温牛奶,父亲日渐康复,越来越好。 —

But he was not satisfied with this.
但他对此还不满意。 —

He learned to make baskets of reeds and sold them.
他学会了用芦苇编篮子并卖出去。 —

With the money he received, he and his father were able to keep from starving.
凭借所得的钱,他和父亲能够免于饥饿。

Among other things, he built a rolling chair, strong and comfortable, to take his old father out for an airing on bright, sunny days.
除此之外,他还建了一把牢固舒适的轮椅,可以在明亮的晴天带他那年迈的父亲出去晒太阳。

In the evening the Marionette studied by lamplight. With some of the money he had earned, he bought himself a secondhand volume that had a few pages missing, and with that he learned to read in a very short time.
晚上,木偶在灯光下学习。他用自己挣的一些钱买了一本有几页破损的二手书,通过它,他很快学会了阅读。 —

As far as writing was concerned, he used a long stick at one end of which he had whittled a long, fine point.
至于写作,他用一根长棍,一头细磨尖。他没有墨水,所以用黑莓或樱桃的汁液代替。他的勤奋终于得到了回报。 —

Ink he had none, so he used the juice of blackberries or cherries.
他用自己所学的知识为他的老爸写信。父亲也用黑莓或樱桃的汁液回信给他。 —

Little by little his diligence was rewarded.
他们通过这种方式保持联系。 —

He succeeded, not only in his studies, but also in his work, and a day came when he put enough money together to keep his old father comfortable and happy.
他不仅在学业上取得了成功,而且在工作上也有所成就。有一天,他积攒了足够的钱让他的老父亲过上舒适幸福的生活。 —

Besides this, he was able to save the great amount of fifty pennies.
此外,他还能够存下50个便士。 —

With it he wanted to buy himself a new suit.
他打算用它买一套新衣服。

One day he said to his father:
一天,他对他父亲说:

“I am going to the market place to buy myself a coat, a cap, and a pair of shoes.
“我打算去市场上买一件外套,一顶帽子和一双鞋子。 —

When I come back I’ll be so dressed up, you will think I am a rich man.”
当我回来时,我会打扮得像个富人,你会这样认为的。”

He ran out of the house and up the road to the village, laughing and singing.
他从屋子里跑出去,沿着小路向村子跑去,笑着唱着。 —

Suddenly he heard his name called, and looking around to see whence the voice came, he noticed a large snail crawling out of some bushes.
突然,他听到有人叫他的名字,他环顾四周找声音来源,发现一只大蜗牛从灌木丛中爬出来。

“Don’t you recognize me?” said the Snail.
“你认出我了吗?”蜗牛说。

“Yes and no.”
“是又不是。”

“Do you remember the Snail that lived with the Fairy with Azure Hair?
“你还记得和有蓝发的仙女一起生活的蜗牛吗? —

Do you not remember how she opened the door for you one night and gave you something to eat?”
难道你不记得她有一天晚上为你打开门给你吃东西吗?”

“I remember everything,” cried Pinocchio.
“记得清清楚楚,”皮诺曹喊道, —

“Answer me quickly, pretty Snail, where have you left my Fairy?
“快回答我,漂亮的蜗牛,我的仙女在哪呢? —

What is she doing?
她在做什么? —

Has she forgiven me? Does she remember me? Does she still love me?
她原谅我了吗?她还记得我吗?她还爱我吗? —

Is she very far away from here? May I see her?”
她离这里很远吗?我可以见她吗?”

At all these questions, tumbling out one after another, the Snail answered, calm as ever:
在这一连串的问题中,蜗牛一如既往地镇定地回答道:

“My dear Pinocchio, the Fairy is lying ill in a hospital.”
“亲爱的皮诺曹,仙女在医院里生病。”

“In a hospital?”
“在医院里?”

“Yes, indeed. She has been stricken with trouble and illness, and she hasn’t a penny left with which to buy a bite of bread.”
“对,确实是这样。她遭受了病痛的折磨,已经没有一分钱买一块面包。”

“Really? Oh, how sorry I am! My poor, dear little Fairy! If I had a million I should run to her with it!
“真的吗?哦,我多么难过!我可怜的,亲爱的小仙女!如果我有一百万,我会立刻给她!但是我只有五十分。这里拿去, —

But I have only fifty pennies.
小蜗牛,给我的好仙女。” —

Here they are. I was just going to buy some clothes.
“新衣服呢? —

Here, take them, little Snail, and give them to my good Fairy.”

“What about the new clothes?”
“那又怎样?我愿意卖掉身上的这些破布来更多地帮助她。去吧,快去。”

“What does that matter?
“Good Mayor, it has been such a great pleasure to meet you and have the opportunity to discuss the various issues facing the community. —

I should like to sell these rags I have on to help her more.
I was highly impressed by your commitment and dedication to improving the lives of the citizens. Your vision for a brighter future is truly inspiring. I would be honored to support your campaign and contribute to your efforts in any way possible. Please let me know how I can be of assistance. —

Go, and hurry.
Thank you again for your time and for the important work you are doing for our community.” —

Come back here within a couple of days and I hope to have more money for you!
过几天再回来,我希望能给你更多的钱!直到今天, —

Until today I have worked for my father.
我一直为父亲工作。 —

Now I shall have to work for my mother also.
现在我还得为母亲工作。再见, —

Good-by, and I hope to see you soon.”
希望很快能见到你。

The Snail, much against her usual habit, began to run like a lizard under a summer sun.
蜗牛,违背她平时的习惯,开始像夏日阳光下的蜥蜴一样快速跑动起来。

When Pinocchio returned home, his father asked him:
当匹诺曹回到家时,他的父亲问他:

“And where is the new suit?”
“新的衣服呢?”

“I couldn’t find one to fit me.
“我找不到适合我的。 —

I shall have to look again some other day.”
我得再找其他日子了。”

That night, Pinocchio, instead of going to bed at ten o’clock waited until midnight, and instead of making eight baskets, he made sixteen.
那天晚上,匹诺曹不是在十点钟就上床睡觉,而是等到了午夜,并且不是制作了八个篮子,而是制作了十六个。

After that he went to bed and fell asleep.
之后他上床睡着了。当他睡着时, —

As he slept, he dreamed of his Fairy, beautiful, smiling, and happy, who kissed him and said to him, “Bravo, Pinocchio!
他梦到了他的仙女,美丽、微笑、快乐,她亲吻他并对他说:“太棒了,皮诺曹! —

In reward for your kind heart, I forgive you for all your old mischief.
为了回报你的善良,我原谅你以前的恶作剧。 —

Boys who love and take good care of their parents when they are old and sick, deserve praise even though they may not be held up as models of obedience and good behavior.
孝敬和照顾年迈生病的父母的孩子,即使他们不被视为服从和行为好的典范,也应该受到赞扬。 —

Keep on doing so well, and you will be happy.”
继续这样做,你将会幸福。

At that very moment, Pinocchio awoke and opened wide his eyes.
就在那一刻,皮诺曹醒了过来,睁大了眼睛。

What was his surprise and his joy when, on looking himself over, he saw that he was no longer a Marionette, but that he had become a real live boy!
当他检查自己时,他惊奇地发现自己不再是个木偶,而是一个活生生的孩子! —

He looked all about him and instead of the usual walls of straw, he found himself in a beautifully furnished little room, the prettiest he had ever seen.
他四处看着,发现自己不是像往常一样有草墙,而是一个装饰精美的小房间,是他见过最漂亮的房间。 —

In a twinkling, he jumped down from his bed to look on the chair standing near.
他瞬间从床上跳下来,走到附近的椅子上看。 —

There, he found a new suit, a new hat, and a pair of shoes.
在那里,他找到了一套新衣服,一顶新帽子和一双新鞋子。

As soon as he was dressed, he put his hands in his pockets and pulled out a little leather purse on which were written the following words:
一穿好衣服,他就把手放进口袋里,拿出一个写有以下字样的小皮钱袋:

The Fairy with Azure Hair returns fifty pennies to her dear Pinocchio with many thanks for his kind heart.
蓝发仙女带走了五十文钱,她衷心感谢了善良的匹诺曹。

The Marionette opened the purse to find the money, and behold–there were fifty gold coins!
匹诺曹打开钱袋,发现里面有五十枚金币!

Pinocchio ran to the mirror.
匹诺曹跑到镜子前, —

He hardly recognized himself.
他几乎认不出自己了。 —

The bright face of a tall boy looked at him with wide-awake blue eyes, dark brown hair and happy, smiling lips.
一个长得鼻子高高的男孩瞪大了蓝色的眼睛、深棕色的头发和快乐的微笑。

Surrounded by so much splendor, the Marionette hardly knew what he was doing.
被如此辉煌所包围,木偶差点忘了自己在做什么。 —

He rubbed his eyes two or three times, wondering if he were still asleep or awake and decided he must be awake.
他揉了揉眼睛,不知道自己是在睡觉还是清醒,最后他确定自己肯定是清醒的。

“And where is Father?” he cried suddenly.
“爸爸在哪里?”他突然大叫一声, —

He ran into the next room, and there stood Geppetto, grown years younger overnight, spick and span in his new clothes and gay as a lark in the morning.
跑进了隔壁的房间,格佩托在那里,一夜之间变得年轻了许多,身穿一身新衣服,像清晨的云雀一样开心。 —

He was once more Mastro Geppetto, the wood carver, hard at work on a lovely picture frame, decorating it with flowers and leaves, and heads of animals.
他再次成为了木匠盖比托,正在辛勤工作,为一幅可爱的相框装饰花朵、叶子和动物的头部。

“Father, Father, what has happened?
“父亲,父亲,发生了什么? —

Tell me if you can,” cried Pinocchio, as he ran and jumped on his Father’s neck.
如果你能告诉我的话,告诉我吧。”品诺奇喊着,跑过去扑向父亲的脖子。

“This sudden change in our house is all your doing, my dear Pinocchio,” answered Geppetto.
“这个突然发生在我们家的变化,全是你做的,我亲爱的品诺奇。”盖比托回答道。

“What have I to do with it?”
“我和它有什么关系?”

“Just this. When bad boys become good and kind, they have the power of making their homes gay and new with happiness.”
“就是这样。当坏孩子变得善良友好时,他们就有了用幸福让家庭变得快乐和崭新的力量。”

“I wonder where the old Pinocchio of wood has hidden himself?”
“我不知道木头品诺奇躲到哪里去了?”

“There he is,” answered Geppetto.
“他在那里,”盖比托回答道。 —

And he pointed to a large Marionette leaning against a chair, head turned to one side, arms hanging limp, and legs twisted under him.
他指着一只大型的木偶,斜倚在一把椅子上,头向一边转,手臂垂下,双腿扭曲。

After a long, long look, Pinocchio said to himself with great content:
长时间地注视着后,品诺奇心满意足地自言自语道:

“How ridiculous I was as a Marionette!
“当木偶时,我真可笑! —

And how happy I am, now that I have become a real boy!”
现在我成了一个真正的男孩,我多么幸福!”