Pinocchio, instead of becoming a boy, runs away to the Land of Toys with his friend, Lamp-Wick.
皮诺曹没有变成一个男孩,而是与他的朋友灯芯急忙逃到了木偶玩具的乐园。

Coming at last out of the surprise into which the Fairy’s words had thrown him, Pinocchio asked for permission to give out the invitations.
最终脱离了仙女话语所带来的惊奇之中,皮诺曹请求许可发出邀请。

“Indeed, you may invite your friends to tomorrow’s party.
”当然可以邀请你的朋友来参加明天的派对。 —

Only remember to return home before dark.
只是记得在天黑前回家。 —

Do you understand?”
明白了吗?”

“I’ll be back in one hour without fail, ” answered the Marionette.
“我一定会在一个小时内回来,不会有差错,”木偶回答说。

“Take care, Pinocchio!
“小心点,皮诺曹! —

Boys give promises very easily, but they as easily forget them.”
男孩子轻易地做出承诺,但他们也同样轻易地忘记这些承诺。”

“But I am not like those others.
“可是我不像其他人那样。 —

When I give my word I keep it.”
我发誓一定会履行诺言。”

“We shall see. In case you do disobey, you will be the one to suffer, not anyone else.”
“我们拭目以待吧。如果你违背诺言,你会受到苦果,而不是其他人。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because boys who do not listen to their elders always come to grief.”
“因为不听长辈话的孩子总会遭遇困境。”

“I certainly have,” said Pinocchio, “but from now on, I obey.”
“我确实有过这样的经历,”皮诺曹说,“但从现在开始,我会服从。”

“We shall see if you are telling the truth.”
“我们就看看你是否说实话。”

Without adding another word, the Marionette bade the good Fairy good-by, and singing and dancing, he left the house.
没有多言,这个木偶向仙女告别,唱着跳着离开了房屋。

In a little more than an hour, all his friends were invited.
不到一个小时,他的所有朋友都被邀请了。 —

Some accepted quickly and gladly.
有些人很快而欣然地接受了。 —

Others had to be coaxed, but when they heard that the toast was to be buttered on both sides, they all ended by accepting the invitation with the words, “We’ll come to please you.”
其他人则需要被劝说,但当他们听说这个toast两边都要涂黄油的时候,他们最终都接受了邀请,并说道:“我们会来取悦你。”

Now it must be known that, among all his friends, Pinocchio had one whom he loved most of all.
现在必须知道,在所有的朋友中,匹诺曹最喜欢的一个是他。 —

The boy’s real name was Romeo, but everyone called him Lamp-Wick, for he was long and thin and had a woebegone look about him.
那个男孩的真名是罗密欧,但大家都叫他灯芯,因为他又长又瘦,看起来很悲伤。

Lamp-Wick was the laziest boy in the school and the biggest mischief-maker, but Pinocchio loved him dearly.
灯芯是学校里最懒惰、最爱捣蛋的孩子,但匹诺曹却非常爱他。

That day, he went straight to his friend’s house to invite him to the party, but Lamp-Wick was not at home.
那天,匹诺曹径直去他朋友的家里邀请他参加聚会,但灯芯不在家。 —

He went a second time, and again a third, but still without success.
他第二次去,仍然没有成功,第三次去也一样。

Where could he be? Pinocchio searched here and there and everywhere, and finally discovered him hiding near a farmer’s wagon.
他到处寻找,最终发现他躲在一个农夫的车旁边。

“What are you doing there?
“你在那儿干什么? —

” asked Pinocchio, running up to him.
”匹诺曹跑到他面前问道。

“I am waiting for midnight to strike to go–”
“我正在等待午夜敲响的时候去——”

“Where?”
“去哪里?”

“Far, far away!”
“远离,远离!”

“And I have gone to your house three times to look for you!”
“我已经三次来你家找你了!”

“What did you want from me?”
“你想从我这里得到什么?”

“Haven’t you heard the news?
“你没听到消息吗? —

Don’t you know what good luck is mine?”
难道你不知道我得了多大的好运吗?”

“What is it?”
“是什么?”

“Tomorrow I end my days as a Marionette and become a boy, like you and all my other friends.”
“明天我将结束作为一个木偶的日子,成为像你和我们其他朋友一样的男孩。”

“May it bring you luck!”
“愿它给你带来好运!”

“Shall I see you at my party tomorrow?”
“明天在我的聚会上能见到你吗?”

“But I’m telling you that I go tonight.”
“但我告诉你我今晚就走。”

“At what time?”
“几点钟?”

“At midnight.”
“午夜。”

“And where are you going?”
“你要去哪里?”

“To a real country–the best in the world–a wonderful place!”
“去一个真正的国家——世界上最好的地方——一个美妙的地方!”

“What is it called?”
“它叫什么名字?”

“It is called the Land of Toys. Why don’t you come, too?”
“它叫做玩具之地。为什么不一起来呢?”

“I? Oh, no!”
“我?哦,不!”

“You are making a big mistake, Pinocchio.
“你正在犯个大错误,皮诺曹。 —

Believe me, if you don’t come, you’ll be sorry.
相信我,如果你不来,你会后悔的。” —

Where can you find a place that will agree better with you and me?
“还有哪里能找到一个更适合你我生活的地方呢?没有学校, —

No schools, no teachers, no books!
没有老师,没有书籍!” —

In that blessed place there is no such thing as study.
“在那个祝福之地根本没有学习这回事。 —

Here, it is only on Saturdays that we have no school.
在这里,只有在周六才不上学。” —

In the Land of Toys, every day, except Sunday, is a Saturday.
“在玩具之地,每天都是星期六,除了星期天。” —

Vacation begins on the first of January and ends on the last day of December.
“假期从一月一日开始,一直持续到十二月的最后一天。” —

That is the place for me!
“那就是适合我的地方! —

All countries should be like it!
所有国家都应该像它一样! —

How happy we should all be!”
我们都会多么幸福啊!”

“But how does one spend the day in the Land of Toys?”
“但是在玩具之地,人们怎么过日子呢?”

“Days are spent in play and enjoyment from morn till night.
“白天都用来玩耍和享受,从早到晚。” —

At night one goes to bed, and next morning, the good times begin all over again.
“晚上就睡觉,第二天早上,快乐又开始了。 —

What do you think of it?”
你觉得怎么样?”

“H’m–!” said Pinocchio, nodding his wooden head, as if to say, “It’s the kind of life which would agree with me perfectly.”
“嗯——!” 皮诺曹木头般点了点头,仿佛在说,“这种生活对我来说再合适不过了。”

“Do you want to go with me, then?
“那你要跟我走吗?是还是不是? —

Yes or no? You must make up your mind.”
你必须做出决定。”

“No, no, and again no!
“不,不,再来个不! —

I have promised my kind Fairy to become a good boy, and I want to keep my word. Just see:
我答应了我的仁慈仙女要做个好孩子,我要遵守诺言。瞧: —

The sun is setting and I must leave you and run.
太阳快要下山了,我必须离开你们跑路了。 —

Good-by and good luck to you!”
再见,祝你好运!”

“Where are you going in such a hurry?”
“你这么急着去哪儿?”

“Home. My good Fairy wants me to return home before night.”
“回家。我的仁慈仙女要我在天黑前回去。”

“Wait two minutes more.”
“再等两分钟。”

“It’s too late!”
“太晚了!”

“Only two minutes.”
“只要两分钟。”

“And if the Fairy scolds me?”
“如果仙女责骂我怎么办?”

“Let her scold. After she gets tired, she will stop,” said Lamp-Wick.
“她骂吧。她骂够了就会停下来的,”兰普维说。

“Are you going alone or with others?”
“你打算独自一人去还是跟其他人一起?”

“Alone? There will be more than a hundred of us!”
“独自一人?将会有一百多个人跟我们一起!”

“Will you walk?”
“你们打算走路吗?”

“At midnight the wagon passes here that is to take us within the boundaries of that marvelous country.”
“午夜时分马车会从这里经过,带我们进入那个奇妙的国家。”

“How I wish midnight would strike!”
“我多希望午夜能来临!”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“To see you all set out together.”
“想看你们一起出发。”

“Stay here a while longer and you will see us!”
“再在这里待一会儿,你就会看到我们了!”

“No, no. I want to return home.”
“不,不。我想回家。”

“Wait two more minutes.”
“再等两分钟。”

“I have waited too long as it is.
“我已经等得太久了。 —

The Fairy will be worried.”
小仙女会担心的。”

“Poor Fairy! Is she afraid the bats will eat you up?”
“可怜的小仙女!她担心蝙蝠会把你吃掉吗?”

“Listen, Lamp-Wick,” said the Marionette, “are you really sure that there are no schools in the Land of Toys?
“听着,灯烛,你真的确定乐园没有学校吗?” —

” “Not even the shadow of one.”
“连一个影子都没有。”

“Not even one teacher?”
“连一个老师都没有?”

“Not one.”
“一个都没有。”

“And one does not have to study?”
“而且不需要学习吗?”

“Never, never, never!”
“永远不需要,永远,永远!”

“What a great land!” said Pinocchio, feeling his mouth water.
“多么美妙的地方!”皮诺曹感到口水直流。 —

“What a beautiful land!
“多么美丽的地方! —

I have never been there, but I can well imagine it.”
我从来没去过那里,但我很能想象。”

“Why don’t you come, too?”
“你为什么不一起来呢?”

“It is useless for you to tempt me!
“你引诱我是无用的! —

I told you I promised my good Fairy to behave myself, and I am going to keep my word.”
我告诉你我答应了我的好仙女要守规矩,我会信守承诺。”

“Good-by, then, and remember me to the grammar schools, to the high schools, and even to the colleges if you meet them on the way.”
“再见了,记得代我问候语法学校,高中和大学,如果你在路上遇到他们。”

“Good-by, Lamp-Wick. Have a pleasant trip, enjoy yourself, and remember your friends once in a while.”
“再见了,木头玩偶。旅途愉快,开心享受,偶尔也要想起你的朋友们。”

With these words, the Marionette started on his way home.
说完这些话,木头玩偶开始回家的路。 —

Turning once more to his friend, he asked him:
他最后再次转向他的朋友,问他:

“But are you sure that, in that country, each week is composed of six Saturdays and one Sunday?”
“但是你确定,在那个国家,每周由六个星期六和一个星期日组成吗?”

“Very sure!”
“非常确定!”

“And that vacation begins on the first of January and ends on the thirty-first of December?”
“并且假期从一月一日开始,到十二月三十一日结束对吗?”

“Very, very sure!”
“非常、非常确定!”

“What a great country!
“多么美好的国家! —

” repeated Pinocchio, puzzled as to what to do.
”皮诺曹困惑地重复着,不知道该怎么办。

Then, in sudden determination, he said hurriedly:
然后,他突然下定决心,匆匆地说道:

“Good-by for the last time, and good luck.”
“最后再见了,祝你好运。”

“Good-by.”
“再见。”

“How soon will you go?”
“你什么时候走?”

“Within two hours.”
“两个小时之内。”

“What a pity! If it were only one hour, I might wait for you.”
“真可惜!只要再一个小时我可能会等你。”

“And the Fairy?”
“那仙女呢?”

“By this time I’m late, and one hour more or less makes very little difference.”
“我现在已经迟到了,一个小时多一点或少一点没什么大关系。”

“Poor Pinocchio! And if the Fairy scolds you?”
“可怜的皮诺曹!那仙女要是责骂你怎么办?”

“Oh, I’ll let her scold.
“哦,我就让她责骂吧。 —

After she gets tired, she will stop.”
等她累了,她就会停下来。”

In the meantime, the night became darker and darker.
与此同时,夜色变得越来越黑。 —

All at once in the distance a small light flickered.
突然在远处闪烁着一道微弱的光。 —

A queer sound could be heard, soft as a little bell, and faint and muffled like the buzz of a far-away mosquito.
一个奇怪的声音可以听到,像小铃铛一样柔和,微弱而沉闷,像远处蚊子的嗡嗡声。

“There it is!” cried Lamp-Wick, jumping to his feet.
“那就是它!”拉姆温克跳了起来。

“What?” whispered Pinocchio.
“什么?”皮诺曹低声问道。

“The wagon which is coming to get me.
“来接我的马车。 —

For the last time, are you coming or not?”
这是最后一次,你来不来?”

“But is it really true that in that country boys never have to study?”
“但是在那个国家里真的从不用上学吗?”

“Never, never, never!”
“真的,真的,真的从来不用!”

“What a wonderful, beautiful, marvelous country! Oh–h–h!!”
“多么美妙、美丽、奇妙的国家啊!哦—呃—呃!!”