Pinocchio’s ears become like those of a Donkey.
皮诺曹的耳朵变得像驴子一样。 —

In a little while he changes into a real Donkey and begins to bray.
不久他变成了一只真正的驴子,并开始嘶鸣。

Everyone, at one time or another, has found some surprise awaiting him.
每个人都会有一次或另一次遭遇到一些惊喜。 —

Of the kind which Pinocchio had on that eventful morning of his life, there are but few.
在皮诺曹一生中那个充满事件的早晨,只有很少有人知道。

What was it? I will tell you, my dear little readers. On awakening, Pinocchio put his hand up to his head and there he found–
那是什么?我会告诉你,亲爱的小读者们。醒来时,皮诺曹将手放在头上,发现那里……

Guess!
猜猜看!

He found that, during the night, his ears had grown at least ten full inches!
他发现在夜里,他的耳朵至少增长了十英寸!

You must know that the Marionette, even from his birth, had very small ears, so small indeed that to the naked eye they could hardly be seen.
你必须知道,这个木偶,甚至从出生以来,就有非常小的耳朵,以至于肉眼几乎看不到。 —

Fancy how he felt when he noticed that overnight those two dainty organs had become as long as shoe brushes!
想象一下他发现自己过夜后那两只精致器官变得像鞋刷一样长的感觉!

He went in search of a mirror, but not finding any, he just filled a basin with water and looked at himself.
他开始寻找镜子,但没有找到,他只是拿一个水盆,端详着自己。 —

There he saw what he never could have wished to see.
在那里,他看到了他自己从来没有想过看到的东西。 —

His manly figure was adorned and enriched by a beautiful pair of donkey’s ears.
他英勇的身姿被一对漂亮的驴耳所装饰和丰富着。

I leave you to think of the terrible grief, the shame, the despair of the poor Marionette.
我让你想象一下可怕的悲伤、羞辱和绝望对可怜的玛丽奥内特带来的影响。

He began to cry, to scream, to knock his head against the wall, but the more he shrieked, the longer and the more hairy grew his ears.
他开始哭泣、尖叫,把头撞在墙上,但他尖叫得越厉害,他的耳朵就越长、越毛茸茸。

At those piercing shrieks, a Dormouse came into the room, a fat little Dormouse, who lived upstairs.
听到那些刺耳的尖叫声,一只睡鼠进了房间,一只胖胖的睡鼠,住在楼上。 —

Seeing Pinocchio so grief-stricken, she asked him anxiously:
看到皮诺曹如此伤心,她焦虑地问他:

“What is the matter, dear little neighbor?”
“怎么了,亲爱的邻居?”

“I am sick, my little Dormouse, very, very sick–and from an illness which frightens me! Do you understand how to feel the pulse?”
“我生病了,我的小睡鼠,非常、非常的生病 - 而且是一种吓坏我的病!你懂得怎样触摸脉搏吗?”

“A little.”
“懂一点。”

“Feel mine then and tell me if I have a fever.”
“那就给我检查一下,告诉我我是否发烧。”

The Dormouse took Pinocchio’s wrist between her paws and, after a few minutes, looked up at him sorrowfully and said:
睡鼠用爪子握住皮诺曹的腕部,过了几分钟后,悲伤地抬头看着他说道: —

“My friend, I am sorry, but I must give you some very sad news.”
“朋友,很抱歉,但我必须告诉你一些非常悲伤的消息。”

“What is it?”
“是什么?”

“You have a very bad fever.”
“你得了一种很严重的发烧。”

“But what fever is it?”
“但是是什么发烧?”

“The donkey fever.”
“驴儿发烧。”

“I don’t know anything about that fever, ” answered the Marionette, beginning to understand even too well what was happening to him.
“我对那种发烧一无所知。”木偶回答道,他开始明白发生在他身上的事情。

“Then I will tell you all about it, ” said the Dormouse. “Know then that, within two or three hours, you will no longer be a Marionette, nor a boy.”
“那我将告诉你一切,”啮齿动物说道,“那么你就知道,两三个小时后,你将不再是一个木偶,也不再是一个男孩。”

“What shall I be?”
“那我将变成什么呢?”

“Within two or three hours you will become a real donkey, just like the ones that pull the fruit carts to market.”
“两三个小时后,你将成为一头真正的驴子,就像拉着水果车去市场的那些驴子一样。”

“Oh, what have I done? What have I done?
“哦,我做了什么?我做了什么? —

” cried Pinocchio, grasping his two long ears in his hands and pulling and tugging at them angrily, just as if they belonged to another.
”皮诺曹大叫着,愤怒地用双手抓住自己的两只长耳朵,猛力拉扯,仿佛它们属于别人一样。

“My dear boy,” answered the Dormouse to cheer him up a bit, “why worry now? What is done cannot be undone, you know.
“亲爱的孩子,”啮齿动物回答,稍微安慰他一些,“为什么现在担心呢?你知道,过去的事情是无法改变的。” —

Fate has decreed that all lazy boys who come to hate books and schools and teachers and spend all their days with toys and games must sooner or later turn into donkeys.”
“命运决定了,所有厌恶书籍、学校和老师,整天只和玩具和游戏为伴的懒散男孩,迟早会变成驴子。”

“But is it really so?
“但是这真的是这样吗? —

” asked the Marionette, sobbing bitterly.
”木偶哽咽着问道。

“I am sorry to say it is.
“很抱歉说这个是事实。 —

And tears now are useless.
现在的眼泪是毫无用处的。 —

You should have thought of all this before.”
在此之前,你应该考虑清楚。”

“But the fault is not mine. Believe me, little Dormouse, the fault is all Lamp-Wick’s.”
“但这不是我的错。相信我,小榛睡鼠,这全都是兰普威克的错。”

“And who is this Lamp-Wick?”
“那么兰普威克是谁?”

“A classmate of mine.
“他是我的同学。 —

I wanted to return home.
我本想回家。 —

I wanted to be obedient.
我本想听话。 —

I wanted to study and to succeed in school, but Lamp-Wick said to me, ‘Why do you want to waste your time studying?
“我本想好好学习,取得成功,但兰普威克对我说:‘你为什么要浪费时间去学习? —

Why do you want to go to school?
“你为什么要去上学? —

Come with me to the Land of Toys. There we’ll never study again.
跟我一起去玩具之地吧。在那里我们永远不用学习。 —

There we can enjoy ourselves and be happy from morn till night.’”
“在那里我们可以享受,并从早到晚都快乐。”

“And why did you follow the advice of that false friend?”
“那你为什么听从了那个假朋友的建议?”

“Why? Because, my dear little Dormouse, I am a heedless Marionette–heedless and heartless. Oh!
“为什么?因为,亲爱的小榛睡鼠,我是一个粗心的木偶——粗心且无情。哦! —

If I had only had a bit of heart, I should never have abandoned that good Fairy, who loved me so well and who has been so kind to me!
“如果我有一点点心,我就永远不会抛弃那个爱我如亲人的善良仙女!她对我那么好!” —

And by this time, I should no longer be a Marionette.
到那时,我将不再是一个木偶。 —

I should have become a real boy, like all these friends of mine!
我应该变成一个真正的男孩,像我所有的朋友一样! —

Oh, if I meet Lamp-Wick I am going to tell him what I think of him–and more, too!”
哦,如果我遇到小灯泡,我要告诉他我对他的看法-还有更多!”

After this long speech, Pinocchio walked to the door of the room.
在漫长的讲话之后,匹诺曹走到了房间的门口。 —

But when he reached it, remembering his donkey ears, he felt ashamed to show them to the public and turned back.
但当他到达门口时,想起自己的驴耳朵,他感到不好意思向公众展示它们,于是就转身回去了。 —

He took a large cotton bag from a shelf, put it on his head, and pulled it far down to his very nose.
他从一个架子上拿出一个大棉袋,戴在头上,将它拉到鼻子上。

Thus adorned, he went out.
这样装扮着,他出去了。 —

He looked for Lamp-Wick everywhere, along the streets, in the squares, inside the theatres, everywhere;
他到处寻找小灯泡,沿着街道,在广场上,在剧院里,到处都找过; —

but he was not to be found.
但是他找不到他。 —

He asked everyone whom he met about him, but no one had seen him.
他问遇到的每个人都有关他的事,但没人见过他。 —

In desperation, he returned home and knocked at the door.
绝望之际,他回到家,敲门。

“Who is it?” asked Lamp-Wick from within.
里面的小灯泡问:“是谁?”

“It is I!” answered the Marionette.
“是我!”木偶回答道。

“Wait a minute.”
“等一会儿。”

After a full half hour the door opened.
过了半个多小时,门开了。 —

Another surprise awaited Pinocchio!
匹诺曹又惊又喜! —

There in the room stood his friend, with a large cotton bag on his head, pulled far down to his very nose.
在房间里,他的朋友站着,头上戴着一个大棉袋,被拉得非常低,几乎到了鼻子。

At the sight of that bag, Pinocchio felt slightly happier and thought to himself:
看到那个袋子,皮诺曹感到稍微开心一些,心里想着:

“My friend must be suffering from the same sickness that I am!
“我的朋友一定也患了和我一样的病! —

I wonder if he, too, has donkey fever?”
我不知道他是不是也得了驴疯病?”

But pretending he had seen nothing, he asked with a smile:
但是假装什么也没看到,他带着微笑问道:

“How are you, my dear Lamp-Wick?”
“你好,我亲爱的光线维克?”

“Very well. Like a mouse in a Parmesan cheese.”
“很好。像一只在巴尔马干酪中的老鼠。”

“Is that really true?”
“真的吗?”

“Why should I lie to you?”
“我为什么要对你说谎呢?”

“I beg your pardon, my friend, but why then are you wearing that cotton bag over your ears?”
“不好意思,我的朋友,那你为什么戴着棉帽?”

“The doctor has ordered it because one of my knees hurts.
“医生让我戴着,因为我的膝盖疼。 —

And you, dear Marionette, why are you wearing that cotton bag down to your nose?”
那你呢,亲爱的小木偶,为什么戴着棉帽遮住鼻子?”

“The doctor has ordered it because I have bruised my foot.”
“医生让我戴着,因为我脚受伤了。”

“Oh, my poor Pinocchio!”
“哦,我的可怜皮诺曹!”

“Oh, my poor Lamp-Wick!”
“哦,我的可怜光线维克!”

An embarrassingly long silence followed these words, during which time the two friends looked at each other in a mocking way.
在这些话后面,尴尬的沉默持续了很长时间,这段时间里,两个朋友用嘲弄的眼神看着对方。

Finally the Marionette, in a voice sweet as honey and soft as a flute, said to his companion:
“终于,蜡人以蜜糖般甜美、长笛般柔和的声音对他的伙伴说道:

“Tell me, Lamp-Wick, dear friend, have you ever suffered from an earache?”
“告诉我,亮灯,亲爱的朋友,你有没有耳痛过?”

“Never! And you?”
“从来没有!你呢?”

“Never! Still, since this morning my ear has been torturing me.”
“我也从来没有!但今天早上起我的耳朵一直在痛。”

“So has mine.”
“我的也是。”

“Yours, too? And which ear is it?”
“你的也是?那是哪只耳朵?”

“Both of them. And yours?”
“都痛。你呢?”

“Both of them, too.
“也都痛。 —

I wonder if it could be the same sickness.”
我在想会不会是同一种病。”

“I’m afraid it is.”
“我怕是。”

“Will you do me a favor, Lamp-Wick?”
“亮灯,能帮我一个忙吗?”

“Gladly! With my whole heart.”
“非常愿意!全心全意地帮。”

“Will you let me see your ears?”
“能让我看看你的耳朵吗?”

“Why not? But before I show you mine, I want to see yours, dear Pinocchio.”
“为什么不呢?但在我展示我的之前,我想要先看看你的,亲爱的皮诺曹。”

“No. You must show yours first.”
“不行。你必须先展示你的。”

“No, my dear! Yours first, then mine.”
“不,亲爱的!你先,然后是我。”

“Well, then,” said the Marionette, “let us make a contract.”
“那好吧,”木偶说,“我们签订合同吧。”

“Let’s hear the contract!”
“让我们听听合同内容!”

“Let us take off our caps together.
“我们一起脱下帽子, —

All right?”
好吗?”

“All right.”
“好的。”

“Ready then!”
“准备好了!”

Pinocchio began to count, “One! Two! Three!”
Pinnochio开始数数,“一!二!三!”

At the word “Three!
在“三”的时候, —

” the two boys pulled off their caps and threw them high in air.
两个孩子扯下了帽子,把它们向空中扔去。

And then a scene took place which is hard to believe, but it is all too true.
然后发生了一幕难以置信但又实实在在的场景。 —

The Marionette and his friend, Lamp-Wick, when they saw each other both stricken by the same misfortune, instead of feeling sorrowful and ashamed, began to poke fun at each other, and after much nonsense, they ended by bursting out into hearty laughter.
当看到彼此都遭遇同样的不幸时,木偶和他的朋友灯霓虽然应该感到悲伤和羞愧,却开始互相取笑,经过一番废话之后,他们最后欢笑出声。

They laughed and laughed, and laughed again–laughed till they ached–laughed till they cried.
他们笑个不停,笑得肚子疼,笑得哭了出来。

But all of a sudden Lamp-Wick stopped laughing.
但是突然间灯霓停止了笑声。 —

He tottered and almost fell.
他摇摇晃晃差点摔倒。 —

Pale as a ghost, he turned to Pinocchio and said:
脸色苍白如鬼,他转向皮诺曹说:

“Help, help, Pinocchio!”
“救命,救命,皮诺曹!”

“What is the matter?”
“怎么了?”

“Oh, help me! I can no longer stand up.”
“噢,救救我!我站不起来了。”

“I can’t either,” cried Pinocchio;
“我也不能。”皮诺曹哭了起来, —

and his laughter turned to tears as he stumbled about helplessly.
他的笑声转为泪水,他无助地跌跌撞撞地走着。

They had hardly finished speaking, when both of them fell on all fours and began running and jumping around the room.
他们刚说完,两人就四肢着地,开始在房间里奔跑和跳跃。 —

As they ran, their arms turned into legs, their faces lengthened into snouts and their backs became covered with long gray hairs.
当他们奔跑时,他们的手臂变成了腿,脸变长成了长吻,后背上长满了长长的灰毛。

This was humiliation enough, but the most horrible moment was the one in which the two poor creatures felt their tails appear.
这已经够丢脸了,但最可怕的时刻是当这两个可怜的生物感觉到尾巴的出现。 —

Overcome with shame and grief, they tried to cry and bemoan their fate.
被耻辱和悲伤压倒,他们试图哭泣和埋怨自己的命运。

But what is done can’t be undone!
但是, —

Instead of moans and cries, they burst forth into loud donkey brays, which sounded very much like, “Haw! Haw! Haw!”
过去的事情不能撤销!他们爆发出大声的驴鸣声,听起来非常像“嘿!嘿!嘿!”

At that moment, a loud knocking was heard at the door and a voice called to them:
正在这时,门外传来一阵大声的敲门声,一个声音喊道:

“Open! I am the Little Man, the driver of the wagon which brought you here.
“开门!我是小人,是把你们带到这里的马车夫。开门, —

Open, I say, or beware!”
否则小心!”