Pinocchio finds the Fox and the Cat again, and goes with them to sow the gold pieces in the Field of Wonders.
小木偶皮诺曹重新找到了狐狸和猫,随他们一起到奇迹之地种植金币。

Crying as if his heart would break, the Marionette mourned for hours over the length of his nose.
小木偶伤心地哭泣,就像要伤透心一样,为自己那长长的鼻子而悲伤了几个小时。 —

No matter how he tried, it would not go through the door.
无论他如何努力,它都无法通过门。 —

The Fairy showed no pity toward him, as she was trying to teach him a good lesson, so that he would stop telling lies, the worst habit any boy may acquire.
仙女对他毫不怜悯,因为她想教训他一个好教训,让他戒掉说谎,这是任何孩子都可能养成的最坏习惯。 —

But when she saw him, pale with fright and with his eyes half out of his head from terror, she began to feel sorry for him and clapped her hands together.
但当她看到他吓得脸色苍白,眼睛因恐惧而几乎凸出眼眶时,她开始为他感到遗憾,一拍手。 —

A thousand woodpeckers flew in through the window and settled themselves on Pinocchio’s nose.
一千只啄木鸟飞窗而入,停在皮诺曹的鼻子上。 —

They pecked and pecked so hard at that enormous nose that in a few moments, it was the same size as before.
它们狠狠地啄击着那巨大的鼻子,短短几分钟内,鼻子的大小恢复到了原来的样子。

“How good you are, my Fairy,” said Pinocchio, drying his eyes, “and how much I love you!”
“你真好,我的仙女,”皮诺曹擦干眼泪说,“我是多么爱你!”

“I love you, too,” answered the Fairy, “and if you wish to stay with me, you may be my little brother and I’ll be your good little sister.”
“我也爱你,”仙女回答道,“如果你愿意和我在一起,你可以成为我的小弟弟,我会成为你的好妹妹。”

“I should like to stay–but what about my poor father?”
“我很想留下来,但是我的可怜父亲呢?”

“I have thought of everything.
“我已经想好了一切。 —

Your father has been sent for and before night he will be here.”
你父亲已经被派来了,在夜晚之前他就会到这里。”

“Really?” cried Pinocchio joyfully. “Then, my good Fairy, if you are willing, I should like to go to meet him.
“真的吗?”皮诺曹高兴地喊道,“那么,亲爱的仙女,如果你愿意,我想去迎接他。” —

I cannot wait to kiss that dear old man, who has suffered so much for my sake.”
“我迫不及待地想亲吻那个为了我付出了那么多的可爱老人。”

“Surely; go ahead, but be careful not to lose your way.
“当然可以;走吧,但是要小心不要迷路。 —

Take the wood path and you’ll surely meet him.”
走木头小路,你肯定能遇到他。”

Pinocchio set out, and as soon as he found himself in the wood, he ran like a hare.
皮诺曹出发了,一到进入树林,他就像兔子一样狂奔。 —

When he reached the giant oak tree he stopped, for he thought he heard a rustle in the brush.
当他到达巨大的橡树时,他停了下来,因为他觉得听到了灌木丛里的窸窣声。 —

He was right.
他没错。 —

There stood the Fox and the Cat, the two traveling companions with whom he had eaten at the Inn of the Red Lobster.
狐狸和猫站在那里,他们是他在红龙虾酒店一起吃饭的旅行伙伴。

“Here comes our dear Pinocchio!
“我们亲爱的匹诺曹来了! —

” cried the Fox, hugging and kissing him.
”狐狸兴奋地喊道,一边紧紧拥抱着他,一边亲吻他。 —

“How did you happen here?”
“你怎么会来这里的?”

“How did you happen here?” repeated the Cat.
“你怎么会来这里的?”猫跟着重复道。

“It is a long story, ” said the Marionette.
“这是个很长的故事,”木偶说。 —

“Let me tell it to you.
“让我给你们讲讲。 —

The other night, when you left me alone at the Inn, I met the Assassins on the road–”
那天晚上,在旅店里你们把我一个人留下时,我在路上遇到了凶手——”

“The Assassins? Oh, my poor friend!
“凶手?哦,我的可怜朋友! —

And what did they want?”
他们想干什么?”

“They wanted my gold pieces.”
“他们想要我的金币。”

“Rascals!” said the Fox.
“恶棍!”狐狸骂道。

“The worst sort of rascals!” added the Cat.
“最坏的恶棍!”猫接着说。

“But I began to run, ” continued the Marionette, “and they after me, until they overtook me and hanged me to the limb of that oak.”
“但是我开始逃跑,”木偶继续说道,“他们追着我,直到追上了我,然后把我吊在那棵橡树的树枝上。”

Pinocchio pointed to the giant oak near by.
匹诺曹指着附近的那棵巨大的橡树说。

“Could anything be worse?” said the Fox.
“还有比这更糟糕的事吗?”狐狸说道。

“What an awful world to live in!
“这是个多么可怕的世界啊! —

Where shall we find a safe place for gentlemen like ourselves?”
我们这样的绅士应该在哪里找到安全的地方呢?”

As the Fox talked thus, Pinocchio noticed that the Cat carried his right paw in a sling.
就在狐狸这样说话的时候,匹诺曹注意到猫的右爪上缠着绷带。

“What happened to your paw?” he asked.
“你的爪子怎么了?”他问。

The Cat tried to answer, but he became so terribly twisted in his speech that the Fox had to help him out.
猫试图回答,但他的言谈变得如此扭曲,以至于狐狸不得不帮他解围。

“My friend is too modest to answer.
“我的朋友太谦虚了,不好意思回答。 —

I’ll answer for him. About an hour ago, we met an old wolf on the road.
大约一个小时前,我们在路上遇到一只老狼。 —

He was half starved and begged for help.
它半饿地乞求帮助。 —

Having nothing to give him, what do you think my friend did out of the kindness of his heart?
由于没有什么可以给它的,你认为我的朋友出于善心做了什么? —

With his teeth, he bit off the paw of his front foot and threw it at that poor beast, so that he might have something to eat.”
他用牙齿咬断了自己的前脚爪,并将其扔给可怜的野兽,这样它就有东西可以吃了。”

As he spoke, the Fox wiped off a tear.
狐狸说着,擦去了一滴眼泪。

Pinocchio, almost in tears himself, whispered in the Cat’s ear:
皮诺曹几乎要哭了,低声对猫说道:

“If all the cats were like you, how lucky the mice would be!”
“如果所有的猫都像你一样,老鼠们就有多幸运!”

“And what are you doing here?
“你在这里做什么?” —

” the Fox asked the Marionette.
狐狸问木偶

“I am waiting for my father, who will be here at any moment now.”
“我在等我爸爸,他随时会到这里来。”

“And your gold pieces?”
“你的金币呢?”

“I still have them in my pocket, except one which I spent at the Inn of the Red Lobster.”
“我还把它们放在口袋里,除了在红龙虾酒店花掉的那一枚。”

“To think that those four gold pieces might become two thousand tomorrow.
“想想明天这四枚金币可能变成两千枚。 —

Why don’t you listen to me?
你为什么不听我说呢? —

Why don’t you sow them in the Field of Wonders?”
你为什么不将它们种在奇迹之地呢?

“Today it is impossible.
“今天不行, —

I’ll go with you some other time.”
我以后会和你一起去。”

“Another day will be too late,” said the Fox.
狐狸说:“再晚一天就太晚了。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because that field has been bought by a very rich man, and today is the last day that it will be open to the public.”
“因为那块地被一个非常富有的人买走了,今天是最后一天对公众开放。”

“How far is this Field of Wonders?”
“奇迹之地离这里有多远?”

“Only two miles away. Will you come with us?
“只有两英里远。你愿意和我们一起去吗? —

We’ll be there in half an hour.
半小时之内我们就能到。” —

You can sow the money, and, after a few minutes, you will gather your two thousand coins and return home rich.
你可以将钱播种,几分钟后就能收获你的两千个硬币,然后带着财富回家。 —

Are you coming?”
你愿意来吗?”

Pinocchio hesitated a moment before answering, for he remembered the good Fairy, old Geppetto, and the advice of the Talking Cricket.
匹诺曹犹豫了一下再回答,因为他记得那位好仙女、老捷仿和跳蟋蟀的忠告。 —

Then he ended by doing what all boys do, when they have no heart and little brain.
然后他最终做了所有没有心脏和头脑的孩子们所做的事情。 —

He shrugged his shoulders and said to the Fox and the Cat:
他耸了耸肩膀对狐狸和猫说:“让我们走吧! —

“Let us go! I am with you.”
我跟你们一起去。”

And they went.
然后他们走了。

They walked and walked for a half a day at least and at last they came to the town called the City of Simple Simons.
他们走了至少半天,终于来到了一个名叫”简单西蒙斯之城”的小镇。 —

As soon as they entered the town, Pinocchio noticed that all the streets were filled with hairless dogs, yawning from hunger;
一进城,皮诺曹就注意到所有的街道上都是一群群饥饿的秃狗,它们因饥饿而打呵欠。 —

with sheared sheep, trembling with cold;
这里还有一群剪掉毛的绵羊, —

with combless chickens, begging for a grain of wheat;
因寒冷而颤抖;一群没梳理的鸡,乞求一粒麦粒。 —

with large butterflies, unable to use their wings because they had sold all their lovely colors;
这里还有一群无法展翅的大蝴蝶,因为它们已经卖光了所有漂亮的颜色; —

with tailless peacocks, ashamed to show themselves;
还有一群无尾孔雀,因为它们羞于示人。 —

and with bedraggled pheasants, scuttling away hurriedly, grieving for their bright feathers of gold and silver, lost to them forever.
还有一群凄惨的野鸡,匆匆离开,为它们永远失去的金银亮丽羽毛而悲伤。

Through this crowd of paupers and beggars, a beautiful coach passed now and again.
在这一群乞丐和乞讨者中,时不时地有一辆美丽的马车经过。 —

Within it sat either a Fox, a Hawk, or a Vulture.
车里坐着狐狸、鹰或秃鹫。

“Where is the Field of Wonders?
“奇迹田园在哪里?” —

” asked Pinocchio, growing tired of waiting.
皮诺曹问道,对等待感到厌烦。

“Be patient. It is only a few more steps away.”
“耐心等一下,离这儿只有几步之遥了。”

They passed through the city and, just outside the walls, they stepped into a lonely field, which looked more or less like any other field.
他们穿过城市,在城墙外面走进一个荒凉的田地,看起来和其他田地差不多。

“Here we are,” said the Fox to the Marionette.
狐狸对木偶说:“我们到了。 —

“Dig a hole here and put the gold pieces into it.”
在这里挖个洞,把金币放进去。”

The Marionette obeyed. He dug the hole, put the four gold pieces into it, and covered them up very carefully.
木偶照做了。他挖了个洞,把四个金币放进去,然后小心地盖好。 —

“Now,” said the Fox, “go to that near-by brook, bring back a pail full of water, and sprinkle it over the spot.”
狐狸说:“现在,去附近的小溪,取一桶水,洒在那个地方。”

Pinocchio followed the directions closely, but, as he had no pail, he pulled off his shoe, filled it with water, and sprinkled the earth which covered the gold.
皮诺曹如指示般去做,但是他没有水桶,只好脱下鞋子,装满水,洒在盖着金币的土地上。 —

Then he asked:
然后他问道:

“Anything else?”
“还有其他事情吗?”

“Nothing else,” answered the Fox. “Now we can go.
狐狸回答:“没有了。现在我们可以走了。 —

Return here within twenty minutes and you will find the vine grown and the branches filled with gold pieces.”
二十分钟后回到这里,你会看到藤蔓长出来,枝上挂满金币。”

Pinocchio, beside himself with joy, thanked the Fox and the Cat many times and promised them each a beautiful gift.
皮诺曹兴高采烈地感谢了狐狸和猫许多次,并答应送给他们各自一份漂亮的礼物。

“We don’t want any of your gifts, ” answered the two rogues.
“我们不需要你的礼物。”两个骗子回答道。 —

“It is enough for us that we have helped you to become rich with little or no trouble.
“对我们来说,能帮助你轻松变得富有已足够。 —

For this we are as happy as kings.”
因此,我们像国王一样快乐。”

They said good-by to Pinocchio and, wishing him good luck, went on their way.
他们向匹诺曹道别,并祝他好运,然后继续他们的道路。