Pinocchio reaches the Island of the Busy Bees and finds the Fairy once more.
木偶皮诺曹到达了忙碌蜜蜂岛,再次找到了仙女。

Pinocchio, spurred on by the hope of finding his father and of being in time to save him, swam all night long.
皮诺曹怀揣着找到他的父亲并及时将他救出的希望,整夜游泳。

And what a horrible night it was! It poured rain, it hailed, it thundered, and the lightning was so bright that it turned the night into day.
那是多么可怕的一夜啊!雨倾盆而下,冰雹纷飞,雷声轰鸣,闪电亮得可以把黑夜变成白昼。

At dawn, he saw, not far away from him, a long stretch of sand.
黎明时分,他发现离他不远处有一片长长的沙滩。 —

It was an island in the middle of the sea.
那是一个海中的岛屿。

Pinocchio tried his best to get there, but he couldn’t. The waves played with him and tossed him about as if he were a twig or a bit of straw.
皮诺曹竭尽全力想要游过去,但他无法做到。浪花把他当作树枝或稻草一样,任意地抛来抛去着。 —

At last, and luckily for him, a tremendous wave tossed him to the very spot where he wanted to be.
最后,幸运地有一股猛浪把他抛到了他想去的地方。 —

The blow from the wave was so strong that, as he fell to the ground, his joints cracked and almost broke.
浪花的冲击非常强烈,当他摔倒在地时,关节都快要断裂了。 —

But, nothing daunted, he jumped to his feet and cried:
但是,他毫不气馁,跳起来大喊:“我又一次逃过了一劫!”

“Once more I have escaped with my life!”
天空逐渐放晴,阳光充满辉煌,大海变得平静如湖泊。

Little by little the sky cleared.
慢慢地,天空变得清朗起来。 —

The sun came out in full splendor and the sea became as calm as a lake.
太阳光芒四溢,大海平静如镜。

Then the Marionette took off his clothes and laid them on the sand to dry.
然后,活木偶脱掉衣服,把它们放在沙滩上晾干。 —

He looked over the waters to see whether he might catch sight of a boat with a little man in it.
他环顾四周的水域,看看是否能看到一只小人在船上。 —

He searched and he searched, but he saw nothing except sea and sky and far away a few sails, so small that they might have been birds.
他寻找了好久,除了海和天空,远处只有几只小小的帆船,它们如此之小,几乎可以被当作鸟只。

“If only I knew the name of this island!
“如果我知道这个岛的名字就好了! —

” he said to himself.
”他对自己说道。 —

“If I even knew what kind of people I would find here!
“如果我知道在这里会遇到什么样的人就好了! —

But whom shall I ask?
但我应该向谁询问呢? —

There is no one here.”
这里没有人。”

The idea of finding himself in so lonesome a spot made him so sad that he was about to cry, but just then he saw a big Fish swimming near-by, with his head far out of the water.
想到自己身处如此荒凉的地方,他感到非常悲伤,几乎要哭了,但就在这时,他看到一条大鱼在附近游泳,鱼头高高伸出水面。

Not knowing what to call him, the Marionette said to him:
不知道该怎么称呼它,活木偶对它说道:

“Hey there, Mr. Fish, may I have a word with you?”
“喂,鱼先生,能和你说几句话吗?”

“Even two, if you want,” answered the fish, who happened to be a very polite Dolphin.
“如果你愿意的话,就说两句。”这只鱼恰好是一只非常有礼貌的海豚回答道。

“Will you please tell me if, on this island, there are places where one may eat without necessarily being eaten?”
“请问,在这个岛上有没有可以吃东西而不会被吃的地方?”

“Surely, there are,” answered the Dolphin.
“当然有,”海豚回答道。“事实上, —

“In fact you’ll find one not far from this spot.”
离这个地方不远就会找到一个。”

“And how shall I get there?”
“我该怎么去呢?”

“Take that path on your left and follow your nose.
“走左边的那条路,顺着你的嗅觉走。 —

You can’t go wrong.”
你不会走错的。”

“Tell me another thing.
“告诉我另一件事。 —

You who travel day and night through the sea, did you not perhaps meet a little boat with my father in it?”
你这个整天在海里旅行的海豚,你难道没有遇到一个有我爸爸的小船吗?”

“And who is you father?”
“你爸爸是谁?”

“He is the best father in the world, even as I am the worst son that can be found.”
“他是世界上最好的爸爸,就像我是最坏的儿子一样。”

“In the storm of last night, ” answered the Dolphin, “the little boat must have been swamped.”
“在昨天晚上的风暴中,那艘小船一定被淹没了。”

“And my father?”
“那我爸爸呢?”

“By this time, he must have been swallowed by the Terrible Shark, which, for the last few days, has been bringing terror to these waters.”
“此时此刻,他应该已经被可怕的鲨鱼吞下去了,最近几天它一直在这片海域散播恐怖。”

“Is this Shark very big?” asked Pinocchio, who was beginning to tremble with fright.
“这只鲨鱼很大吗?”皮诺曹开始害怕地颤抖起来。

“Is he big?” replied the Dolphin.
“他很大吗?”海豚回答道。 —

“Just to give you an idea of his size, let me tell you that he is larger than a five story building and that he has a mouth so big and so deep, that a whole train and engine could easily get into it.”
“为了给你一个他的大小概念,我告诉你他比一座五层楼高的建筑还要大,并且他有一个如此巨大而深邃的嘴巴,整个火车和机车都能轻松进入其中。”

“Mother mine!” cried the Marionette, scared to death; and dressing himself as fast as he could, he turned to the Dolphin and said:
“我的妈呀!”木偶惊恐地大喊着,然后穿上衣服,尽快离开,他转身对着海豚说:

“Farewell, Mr. Fish. Pardon the bother, and many thanks for your kindness.”
“再见了,渔夫先生。不好意思打扰你,非常感谢你的好意。”

This said, he took the path at so swift a gait that he seemed to fly, and at every small sound he heard, he turned in fear to see whether the Terrible Shark, five stories high and with a train in his mouth, was following him.
说完这句话,他以迅疾的速度走上了路,仿佛在飞行,每次听到一丁点声音,他都害怕地转身观察,生怕那只五层楼高、嘴里还塞着火车的可怕的鲨鱼在跟踪他。

After walking a half hour, he came to a small country called the Land of the Busy Bees. The streets were filled with people running to and fro about their tasks.
走了半个小时后,他来到了一个被称为“忙碌蜜蜂之地”的小村庄。街道上人们忙碌地来回奔走着。 —

Everyone worked, everyone had something to do.
每个人都在工作,每个人都有事情要做。 —

Even if one were to search with a lantern, not one idle man or one tramp could have been found.
即使拿着灯笼去搜寻,也找不到一个无所事事的人或一个游民。

“I understand,” said Pinocchio at once wearily, “this is no place for me!
“我明白了,”皮诺曹疲惫地说道,“这对我来说不是一个适合我的地方! —

I was not born for work.”
我生来不为劳动。”

But in the meantime, he began to feel hungry, for it was twenty-four hours since he had eaten.
但与此同时,他开始感到饥饿,因为已经有二十四小时他没有吃东西了。

What was to be done?
该怎么办呢?

There were only two means left to him in order to get a bite to eat.
他只剩下两种办法来找些吃的。他要么去工作, —

He had either to work or to beg.
要么去乞讨。

He was ashamed to beg, because his father had always preached to him that begging should be done only by the sick or the old.
他不好意思乞讨,因为他的父亲经常对他说过,乞讨只应该由病人或者老人来做。 —

He had said that the real poor in this world, deserving of our pity and help, were only those who, either through age or sickness, had lost the means of earning their bread with their own hands.
他曾说过,在这个世界上,真正值得我们怜悯和帮助的穷人只有那些因年纪或疾病而失去了用自己的双手谋生的能力的人。 —

All others should work, and if they didn’t, and went hungry, so much the worse for them.
其他人应该工作,如果他们不工作而挨饿,那就是他们自己的不幸。

Just then a man passed by, worn out and wet with perspiration, pulling, with difficulty, two heavy carts filled with coal.
正在这时,一个汗流浃背、满脸沉重的男人走过来,费力地拉着两辆装满煤炭的重车。

Pinocchio looked at him and, judging him by his looks to be a kind man, said to him with eyes downcast in shame:
皮诺曹看着他,判断他是一个好心肠的人,羞愧地低头对他说道:

“Will you be so good as to give me a penny, for I am faint with hunger?”
“你能给我一分钱吗?我饿得发慌了。”

“Not only one penny, ” answered the Coal Man. “I’ll give you four if you will help me pull these two wagons.”
“不仅一分钱,”煤炭工人回答说。“如果你帮我拉这两辆车,我会给你四分钱。”

“I am surprised!” answered the Marionette, very much offended.
“我很惊讶!”木偶回答说,非常生气。 —

“I wish you to know that I never have been a donkey, nor have I ever pulled a wagon.”
“我希望你知道,我从来不是一头驴,也从来没有拉过车。”

“So much the better for you!
“那对你来说更好! —

” answered the Coal Man. “Then, my boy, if you are really faint with hunger, eat two slices of your pride;
”煤炭工人回答说。“那么,我的孩子,如果你真的因为饥饿而虚弱,请吃下你的骄傲的两片面包吧; —

and I hope they don’t give you indigestion.”
希望它们不会给你消化不良。”

A few minutes after, a Bricklayer passed by, carrying a pail full of plaster on his shoulder.
几分钟后,一个砌砖工人经过,肩上扛着一个桶装满灰泥。

“Good man, will you be kind enough to give a penny to a poor boy who is yawning from hunger?”
“善良的人,你能给一个饥肠辘辘的小男孩一分钱吗?”

“Gladly,” answered the Bricklayer.
“当然可以,”砌砖工人回答说。 —

“Come with me and carry some plaster, and instead of one penny, I’ll give you five.”
“跟我来帮忙搬运灰泥,不但给你一分钱,我会给你五分。”

“But the plaster is heavy, ” answered Pinocchio, “and the work too hard for me.”
“但是灰泥很重,”皮诺曹回答说,“对我来说工作太辛苦。”

“If the work is too hard for you, my boy, enjoy your yawns and may they bring you luck!”
“如果工作对你来说太难了,我的孩子,那就好好打个哈欠,愿它们带给你好运!”

In less than a half hour, at least twenty people passed and Pinocchio begged of each one, but they all answered:
不到半个小时,至少有二十个人经过,皮诺曹向每个人乞求,但他们都回答说:

“Aren’t you ashamed?
“你不觉得羞耻吗? —

Instead of being a beggar in the streets, why don’t you look for work and earn your own bread?”
你为什么不找份工作,自力更生呢,而非成为街头乞丐?”

Finally a little woman went by carrying two water jugs.
最后,一个小女人经过,她提着两个水罐。

“Good woman, will you allow me to have a drink from one of your jugs?
“好心的女士,你能让我喝点水吗? —

” asked Pinocchio, who was burning up with thirst.
” 皮诺曹问道,他口渴得发疯。

“With pleasure, my boy!” she answered, setting the two jugs on the ground before him.
“当然可以,孩子!”她回答道,将两个水罐放在他面前的地上。

When Pinocchio had had his fill, he grumbled, as he wiped his mouth:
皮诺曹喝饱后,擦了擦嘴巴,嘟囔道:

“My thirst is gone.
“我不渴了。 —

If I could only as easily get rid of my hunger!”
要是我能像解渴那样轻易地解饥渴就好了!”

On hearing these words, the good little woman immediately said:
听到这些话,好心的小女人立即说道:

“If you help me to carry these jugs home, I’ll give you a slice of bread.”
“如果你帮我把这两个水罐搬回家,我会给你一片面包。”

Pinocchio looked at the jug and said neither yes nor no.
皮诺曹看着水罐,没有回答是也不是。

“And with the bread, I’ll give you a nice dish of cauliflower with white sauce on it.”
“还有面包,我会给你一道带白酱的花菜。”

Pinocchio gave the jug another look and said neither yes nor no.
皮诺曹又看了酒罐一眼,既没答应也没拒绝。

“And after the cauliflower, some cake and jam.”
“花菜之后,还有蛋糕和果酱。”

At this last bribery, Pinocchio could no longer resist and said firmly:
在这最后的贿赂之下,皮诺曹再也无法抵挡,坚定地说道:

“Very well. I’ll take the jug home for you.”
“好吧,我会把酒罐带回家给你。”

The jug was very heavy, and the Marionette, not being strong enough to carry it with his hands, had to put it on his head.
酒罐非常沉重,皮诺曹没有足够的力气用手拿,只能将其放在头上。

When they arrived home, the little woman made Pinocchio sit down at a small table and placed before him the bread, the cauliflower, and the cake.
他们到家后,小妇人让皮诺曹坐在一张小桌子前,放上面包、花菜和蛋糕。 —

Pinocchio did not eat; he devoured.
皮诺曹没有吃,他狼吞虎咽。 —

His stomach seemed a bottomless pit.
他的胃像是一个无底洞。

His hunger finally appeased, he raised his head to thank his kind benefactress.
饥饿终于得到满足,他抬起头来感谢他的慷慨恩人。 —

But he had not looked at her long when he gave a cry of surprise and sat there with his eyes wide open, his fork in the air, and his mouth filled with bread and cauliflower.
但他看了她一会儿后,惊叫起来,目瞪口呆地坐在那里,叉子举在空中,嘴里塞满了面包和花菜。

“Why all this surprise?
“为什么这么惊讶? —

” asked the good woman, laughing.
”好女人问道,笑了起来。

“Because–” answered Pinocchio, stammering and stuttering, “because–you look like–you remind me of–yes, yes, the same voice, the same eyes, the same hair–yes, yes, yes, you also have the same azure hair she had–Oh, my little Fairy, my little Fairy!
“因为——”皮诺曹结巴地回答,“因为——你看起来像——让我想起她——是的,是的,同样的声音,同样的眼睛,同样的头发——是的,是的,是的,你也有她那一头湛蓝色的头发——哦,我的小仙女,我的小仙女! —

Tell me that it is you!
告诉我是你! —

Don’t make me cry any longer!
不要再让我哭了!你要知道我有多么伤心! —

If you only knew!

I have cried so much, I have suffered so!”
我哭了那么多,受了那么多苦!

And Pinocchio threw himself on the floor and clasped the knees of the mysterious little woman.
皮诺曹扑倒在地上,抱住了这个神秘小女人的膝盖。