Fire Eater gives Pinocchio five gold pieces for his father, Geppetto; but the Marionette meets a Fox and a Cat and follows them.
火食者给匹诺曹五枚金币,以换取他父亲杰佩托的自由;但这个木偶遇到了一只狐狸和一只猫,跟随着它们。

The next day Fire Eater called Pinocchio aside and asked him:
第二天,火食者把匹诺曹叫到一边,问他:

“What is your father’s name?”
“你父亲叫什么名字?”

“Geppetto.”
“杰佩托。”

“And what is his trade?”
“他是做什么工作的?”

“He’s a wood carver.”
“他是木雕师。”

“Does he earn much?”
“他赚得多吗?”

“He earns so much that he never has a penny in his pockets.
“他赚得足够,但从不在口袋里留下一分钱。 —

Just think that, in order to buy me an A-B-C book for school, he had to sell the only coat he owned, a coat so full of darns and patches that it was a pity.”
想想看,为了给我买一本上学用的A-B-C读本,他不得不把他唯一的外套卖掉,那件外套充满了补丁和补钉,真是可怜。”

“Poor fellow! I feel sorry for him. Here, take these five gold pieces. Go, give them to him with my kindest regards.”
“可怜的家伙!我为他感到难过。拿去,把这五个金币给他,告诉他我亲切的问候。”

Pinocchio, as may easily be imagined, thanked him a thousand times.
匹诺曹,可以想象得到,感谢了他一千遍。 —

He kissed each Marionette in turn, even the officers, and, beside himself with joy, set out on his homeward journey.
他一个个地亲吻了每一个木偶,甚至是官员们,欣喜若狂地踏上了回家的旅程。

He had gone barely half a mile when he met a lame Fox and a blind Cat, walking together like two good friends.
他刚走了半英里,就遇到了一只瘸腿的狐狸和一只瞎眼的猫,它们像两个好朋友一样走在一起。 —

The lame Fox leaned on the Cat, and the blind Cat let the Fox lead him along.
耄脚的狐狸依靠着猫,而瞎眼的猫则任由狐狸带着他走。

“Good morning, Pinocchio, ” said the Fox, greeting him courteously.
“早上好,匹诺曹,”狐狸客气地向他问候道。

“How do you know my name?
“你怎么知道我的名字? —

” asked the Marionette.
”木偶问道。

“I know your father well.”
“我很了解你父亲。”

“Where have you seen him?”
“你在哪里见过他?”

“I saw him yesterday standing at the door of his house.”
“我昨天看见他站在他家门口。”

“And what was he doing?”
“他在做什么?”

“He was in his shirt sleeves trembling with cold.”
“他穿着汗衫,冷得发抖。”

“Poor Father! But, after today, God willing, he will suffer no longer.”
“可怜的父亲!但是,上帝保佑,从今天开始他不会再受苦了。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because I have become a rich man.”
“因为我变成了一个富翁。”

“You, a rich man?” said the Fox, and he began to laugh out loud.
“你,一个富翁?”狐狸说着开始大声笑起来。 —

The Cat was laughing also, but tried to hide it by stroking his long whiskers.
猫也在笑,但试图用梳理长须的方式掩饰。

“There is nothing to laugh at, ” cried Pinocchio angrily.
“没什么好笑的,”匹诺曹生气地喊道。 —

“I am very sorry to make your mouth water, but these, as you know, are five new gold pieces.”
“很抱歉让你垂涎,但这些,正如你所知,是五个新的金币。”

And he pulled out the gold pieces which Fire Eater had given him.
他掏出火烧跳马给他的那些金币。

At the cheerful tinkle of the gold, the Fox unconsciously held out his paw that was supposed to be lame, and the Cat opened wide his two eyes till they looked like live coals, but he closed them again so quickly that Pinocchio did not notice.
当金币愉快地叮当作响时,狐狸不经意地伸出了一只本该瘸着的爪子,而猫瞪大了两只眼睛,看起来活像红炭,但他又迅速闭上了眼睛,皮诺曹没有注意到。

“And may I ask,” inquired the Fox, “what you are going to do with all that money?”
“我可以问一下,”狐狸问道,“你打算用那笔钱做什么?”

“First of all,” answered the Marionette, “I want to buy a fine new coat for my father, a coat of gold and silver with diamond buttons;
“首先,”木偶回答道,“我要给我爸爸买一件漂亮的新外套,用金银丝做成,带有钻石纽扣; —

after that, I’ll buy an A-B-C book for myself.”
然后,我会给自己买一本ABC教材。”

“For yourself?”
“给你自己买?”

“For myself. I want to go to school and study hard.”
“给我自己买。我想去上学,努力学习。”

“Look at me,” said the Fox. “For the silly reason of wanting to study, I have lost a paw.”
“看看我,”狐狸说,“因为愚蠢地想要学习,我失去了一只爪子。”

“Look at me,” said the Cat. “For the same foolish reason, I have lost the sight of both eyes.”
“看着我”,猫说道。“出于同样愚蠢的原因,我失去了双眼的视力。”

At that moment, a Blackbird, perched on the fence along the road, called out sharp and clear:
就在那时,一只乌鸦栖息在路边的围栏上,清晰而尖利地叫了起来:

“Pinocchio, do not listen to bad advice.
“匹诺曹,不要听信坏建议。 —

If you do, you’ll be sorry!”
如果你这么做,你会后悔的!”

Poor little Blackbird!
可怜的小乌鸦! —

If he had only kept his words to himself!
如果它只能保守自己的话! —

In the twinkling of an eyelid, the Cat leaped on him, and ate him, feathers and all.
在眨眼之间,猫一跃而上,把它吃掉了,连羽毛都不剩下。

After eating the bird, he cleaned his whiskers, closed his eyes, and became blind once more.
吃完鸟之后,猫舔了舔胡须,闭上眼睛,又一次变得盲目了。

“Poor Blackbird!” said Pinocchio to the Cat. “Why did you kill him?”
“可怜的乌鸦!”匹诺曹对猫说。“你为什么要杀了它?”

“I killed him to teach him a lesson.
“我杀死它是为了教训它。 —

He talks too much. Next time he will keep his words to himself.”
它说得太多了。下次它会保守自己的话。”

By this time the three companions had walked a long distance.
此时,三位同伴已经走了很远的路。 —

Suddenly, the Fox stopped in his tracks and, turning to the Marionette, said to him:
突然,狐狸停下脚步,转向木偶,对他说:

“Do you want to double your gold pieces?”
“你想把你的金币翻倍吗?”

“What do you mean?”
“你是什么意思?”

“Do you want one hundred, a thousand, two thousand gold pieces for your miserable five?”
“你愿意用你那可怜的五个金币换取一百、一千、两千个金币吗?”

“Yes, but how?”
“是的,但是怎么做呢?”

“The way is very easy.
“方法很简单。 —

Instead of returning home, come with us.”
不回家,跟我们一起走。”

“And where will you take me?”
“你们要带我去哪里?”

“To the City of Simple Simons.”
“去简·西蒙斯城。”

Pinocchio thought a while and then said firmly:
品诺基奥想了一会儿,然后坚定地说:

“No, I don’t want to go. Home is near, and I’m going where Father is waiting for me.
“不,我不想走。家就在附近,我要去等父亲的地方。 —

How unhappy he must be that I have not yet returned!
他一定很不开心我还没回来! —

I have been a bad son, and the Talking Cricket was right when he said that a disobedient boy cannot be happy in this world.
我是个不孝的儿子,智慧蟋蟀说得对,一个不听话的孩子在这个世界上是不会幸福的。 —

I have learned this at my own expense.
我得花了很大的代价才学到这一点。 —

Even last night in the theater, when Fire Eater…
甚至昨晚在剧院,火焰吞噬者…哇!! —

Brrrr!!!!! .
!!” —

. . The shivers run up and down my back at the mere thought of it.”
.. .只要一想到这个,我背上就起了鸡皮疙瘩。”

“Well, then,” said the Fox, “if you really want to go home, go ahead, but you’ll be sorry.”
“那好吧,”狐狸说,“如果你真的想回家,就去吧,但是你会后悔的。”

“You’ll be sorry,” repeated the Cat.
“你会后悔的,”猫重复道。

“Think well, Pinocchio, you are turning your back on Dame Fortune.”
“想清楚,品诺基奥,你正在拒绝了幸运女神。”

“On Dame Fortune,” repeated the Cat.
“拒绝了幸运女神,”猫重复道。

“Tomorrow your five gold pieces will be two thousand!”
“明天你的五个金币会变成两千!

“Two thousand!” repeated the Cat.
“猫重复道:“两千!”

“But how can they possibly become so many?
“但是他们怎么可能变得这么多呢? —

” asked Pinocchio wonderingly.
”皮诺曹惊讶地问道。

“I’ll explain,” said the Fox. “You must know that, just outside the City of Simple Simons, there is a blessed field called the Field of Wonders.
“我来解释,”狐狸说。“你必须知道,在简单西蒙斯市的城外,有一片称为奇迹之地的神圣农田。 —

In this field you dig a hole and in the hole you bury a gold piece.
在这片农田里,你挖一个坑,然后在坑里埋一枚金币。 —

After covering up the hole with earth you water it well, sprinkle a bit of salt on it, and go to bed.
在用泥土覆盖坑后,你要好好浇水,撒上一点盐,然后上床睡觉。 —

During the night, the gold piece sprouts, grows, blossoms, and next morning you find a beautiful tree, that is loaded with gold pieces.”
夜间,金币会生长、开花,第二天早上,你会发现一棵长满金币的美丽树。”

“So that if I were to bury my five gold pieces, ” cried Pinocchio with growing wonder, “next morning I should find–how many?”
“那么如果我埋下我的五个金币,”皮诺曹越来越惊奇地喊道,“第二天早上我会找到——多少个呢?”

“It is very simple to figure out, ” answered the Fox. “Why, you can figure it on your fingers!
“很简单计算,”狐狸回答。“为什么,你可以用手指来计算! —

Granted that each piece gives you five hundred, multiply five hundred by five.
“假设每个金币给你五百,将五百乘以五。 —

Next morning you will find twenty-five hundred new, sparkling gold pieces.”
第二天早上,你会找到两千五百个闪亮新的金币。”

“Fine! Fine!” cried Pinocchio, dancing about with joy.
“太好了!太好了!” 皮诺曹高兴地跳着舞道,” —

“And as soon as I have them, I shall keep two thousand for myself and the other five hundred I’ll give to you two.”
一旦我得到它们,我会自留两千,另外五百给你们两个。”

“A gift for us?” cried the Fox, pretending to be insulted.
“给我们的礼物?” 狐狸假装被冒犯了,喊道,” —

“Why, of course not!”
哦,当然没有!”

“Of course not!” repeated the Cat.
“当然没有!”猫重复着说。

“We do not work for gain, ” answered the Fox. “We work only to enrich others.”
“我们不为了利益而工作,” 狐狸回答道,”我们只为别人致富。”

“To enrich others!” repeated the Cat.
“致富!”猫重复着说。

“What good people,” thought Pinocchio to himself.
“真是好心肠的人们,” —

And forgetting his father, the new coat, the A-B-C book, and all his good resolutions, he said to the Fox and to the Cat:
皮诺曹心里想。他忘记了他的父亲、新外套、A-B-C书和所有的良好决心,对狐狸和猫说道:

“Let us go. I am with you.”
“我们走吧。我跟你们走。”