Pinocchio eats sugar, but refuses to take medicine.
匹诺曹吃糖,但拒绝服药。 —

When the undertakers come for him, he drinks the medicine and feels better.
当殡仪馆来找他时,他喝下了药,感觉好多了。 —

Afterwards he tells a lie and, in punishment, his nose grows longer and longer.
之后他撒了一个谎,作为惩罚,他的鼻子越来越长。

As soon as the three doctors had left the room, the Fairy went to Pinocchio’s bed and, touching him on the forehead, noticed that he was burning with fever.
三位医生离开房间后,仙女走到匹诺曹的床边,碰了碰他的额头,发现他发着高烧。

She took a glass of water, put a white powder into it, and, handing it to the Marionette, said lovingly to him:
她拿了一杯水,放了些白色的粉末进去,然后把它递给木偶,亲切地对他说:

“Drink this, and in a few days you’ll be up and well.”
“喝了这个,几天后你就会好起来。”

Pinocchio looked at the glass, made a wry face, and asked in a whining voice:
匹诺曹看着玻璃杯,皱了皱眉头,用哭腔的声音问道: —

“Is it sweet or bitter?”
“是甜的还是苦的?”

“It is bitter, but it is good for you.”
“苦的,但对你有好处。”

“If it is bitter, I don’t want it.”
“如果是苦的,我不要。”

“Drink it!”
“喝掉它!”

“I don’t like anything bitter.”
“我不喜欢任何苦的东西。”

“Drink it and I’ll give you a lump of sugar to take the bitter taste from your mouth.”
“喝了它,我会给你一块糖,把苦味从你嘴里驱散。”

“Where’s the sugar?”
“糖在哪里?”

“Here it is,” said the Fairy, taking a lump from a golden sugar bowl.
“在这里,”仙女说着从一个金色的糖碗里拿了一块出来。

“I want the sugar first, then I’ll drink the bitter water.”
“我想先吃糖再喝苦水。”

“Do you promise?”
“你答应了吗?”

“Yes.”
“是的。”

The Fairy gave him the sugar and Pinocchio, after chewing and swallowing it in a twinkling, said, smacking his lips:
小仙女给了他糖果,皮诺曹咀嚼着立刻吞了下去,并舔着嘴唇说道:

“If only sugar were medicine!
“要是糖果是药, —

I should take it every day.”
我每天都会吃。”

“Now keep your promise and drink these few drops of water.
“现在要遵守你的诺言,喝这几滴水, —

They’ll be good for you.”
对你有好处。”

Pinocchio took the glass in both hands and stuck his nose into it.
皮诺曹双手拿着杯子,把鼻子顶进去。 —

He lifted it to his mouth and once more stuck his nose into it.
他把杯子提到嘴边,鼻子再次顶了进去。

“It is too bitter, much too bitter! I can’t drink it.”
“太苦了,太苦了!我不能喝。”

“How do you know, when you haven’t even tasted it?”
“你怎么知道,你连尝都没尝过?”

“I can imagine it. I smell it.
“我可以想象。我闻得出来。 —

I want another lump of sugar, then I’ll drink it.”
我需要再来一块糖,然后我会喝的。”

The Fairy, with all the patience of a good mother, gave him more sugar and again handed him the glass.
小仙女耐心地像个好妈妈一样给了他更多的糖果,又递给他杯子。

“I can’t drink it like that, ” the Marionette said, making more wry faces.
“我不能这样喝,”木偶说着还做了一些怪脸。

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because that feather pillow on my feet bothers me.”
“因为脚边的那个羽毛枕头让我感到不舒服。”

The Fairy took away the pillow.
小仙女拿走了枕头。

“It’s no use. I can’t drink it even now.”
“没用了。即使现在我也不能喝。”

“What’s the matter now?”
“又怎么了?”

“I don’t like the way that door looks.
“我不喜欢那道门的样子。 —

It’s half open.”
它只开了一半。”

The Fairy closed the door.
仙女关上了门。

“I won’t drink it,” cried Pinocchio, bursting out crying.
“我不会喝的,”皮诺曹哭着大叫。 —

“I won’t drink this awful water.
“我不会喝这可怕的水。我不会。 —

I won’t. I won’t! No, no, no, no!”
我不会!不,不,不,不!”

“My boy, you’ll be sorry.”
“我的孩子,你会后悔的。”

“I don’t care.”
“我才不在乎呢。”

“You are very sick.”
“你病得很重。”

“I don’t care.”
“我才不在乎呢。”

“In a few hours the fever will take you far away to another world.”
“几个小时后,发烧会把你带到另一个世界。”

“I don’t care.”
“我才不在乎呢。”

“Aren’t you afraid of death?”
“你不害怕死吗?”

“Not a bit. I’d rather die than drink that awful medicine.”
“一点都不。我宁愿死也不喝那可怕的药。”

At that moment, the door of the room flew open and in came four Rabbits as black as ink, carrying a small black coffin on their shoulders.
就在那时,房间的门突然被推开了,四只乌黑如墨的兔子扛着一口小黑棺材走了进来。

“What do you want from me?” asked Pinocchio.
“你们想要什么?”皮诺曹问道。

“We have come for you, ” said the largest Rabbit.
“我们来找你了,”最大的兔子说道。

“For me? But I’m not dead yet!”
“找我?但我还没有死呢!”

“No, not dead yet; but you will be in a few moments since you have refused to take the medicine which would have made you well.”
“是的,还没死。但是因为你拒绝服用能使你康复的药物,你将在几分钟之内死去。”

“Oh, Fairy, my Fairy, ” the Marionette cried out, “give me that glass! Quick, please!
“哦,仙女啊,我的仙女,”木偶大喊,“给我那个玻璃瓶!快点,拜托! —

I don’t want to die! No, no, not yet–not yet!”
我不想死!不,不,还不想死!”

And holding the glass with his two hands, he swallowed the medicine at one gulp.
他双手捧着玻璃瓶,一口气把药水喝下。

“Well,” said the four Rabbits, “this time we have made the trip for nothing.”
“好吧,”四只兔子说,“这次我们白过来了。”

And turning on their heels, they marched solemnly out of the room, carrying their little black coffin and muttering and grumbling between their teeth.
他们转过身,庄重地离开房间,拿着他们的小黑棺材,嘴里嘟囔着抱怨的话语。

In a twinkling, Pinocchio felt fine.
眨眼间,匹诺曹感觉好多了。 —

With one leap he was out of bed and into his clothes.
他一跃而起,穿上衣服。

The Fairy, seeing him run and jump around the room gay as a bird on wing, said to him:
仙女看到他在房间里欢快地跑来跳去,像一只又快又自由的小鸟,对他说道:

“My medicine was good for you, after all, wasn’t it?”
“看来我的药对你起了作用,是不是?”

“Good indeed! It has given me new life.”
“当然好!它给了我新生命。”

“Why, then, did I have to beg you so hard to make you drink it?”
“那你为什么非要我乞求你才肯喝呢?”

“I’m a boy, you see, and all boys hate medicine more than they do sickness.”
“因为我是一个男孩,所有的男孩都讨厌药物,就像他们讨厌疾病一样。”

“What a shame! Boys ought to know, after all, that medicine, taken in time, can save them from much pain and even from death.”
“真是可惜!男孩们应该知道,及时服用药物可以避免他们很多痛苦,甚至是死亡。”

“Next time I won’t have to be begged so hard.
“下次我就不需要乞求了。 —

I’ll remember those black Rabbits with the black coffin on their shoulders and I’ll take the glass and pouf!
我会记住那些背着黑色棺材的黑兔子,然后我会拿起杯子,咻!—一下就喝下去! —

–down it will go!”

“Come here now and tell me how it came about that you found yourself in the hands of the Assassins.”
“现在来告诉我,你是如何落入刺客手中的。”

“It happened that Fire Eater gave me five gold pieces to give to my Father, but on the way, I met a Fox and a Cat, who asked me, ‘Do you want the five pieces to become two thousand?
“碰巧,火魔掏出五枚金币让我给我爸爸,但在路上,我遇到了一只狐狸和一只猫,他们问我:‘你想把这五枚金币变成两千吗?’ —

’ And I said, ‘Yes.’ And they said, ‘Come with us to the Field of Wonders.
我说:‘是的。’他们说:‘跟我们去奇迹之地吧。 —

’ And I said, ‘Let’s go.
’我说:‘走吧。’ —

’ Then they said, ‘Let us stop at the Inn of the Red Lobster for dinner and after midnight we’ll set out again.
然后他们说:‘让我们在红龙虾酒店停下来吃晚饭,午夜后我们再继续行程。 —

’ We ate and went to sleep.
’我们吃饭后就去睡觉了。 —

When I awoke they were gone and I started out in the darkness all alone.
当我醒来时,他们已经走了,我孤身一人在黑暗中继续前行。 —

On the road I met two Assassins dressed in black coal sacks, who said to me, ‘Your money or your life!
路上我遇到了两个穿着黑色煤袋的刺客,他们对我说:‘你的钱还是你的命! —

’ and I said, ‘I haven’t any money’;
’我说:‘我没有钱’; —

for, you see, I had put the money under my tongue.
你看,我把钱藏在了舌头下面。 —

One of them tried to put his hand in my mouth and I bit it off and spat it out;
其中一个试图伸手进我的嘴里,我咬掉了他的手指并吐了出来。” —

but it wasn’t a hand, it was a cat’s paw.
但那不是一只手,而是一只猫的爪子。 —

And they ran after me and I ran and ran, till at last they caught me and tied my neck with a rope and hanged me to a tree, saying, ‘Tomorrow we’ll come back for you and you’ll be dead and your mouth will be open, and then we’ll take the gold pieces that you have hidden under your tongue.’”
它们追着我跑,我跑啊跑,直到它们最后抓住我,用绳子勒住我的脖子,把我吊在一棵树上,说:“明天我们会回来,你会死掉,嘴巴张开,然后我们会拿走你藏在舌头底下的金币。”

“Where are the gold pieces now?” the Fairy asked.
“金币现在在哪里?”仙女问道。

“I lost them,” answered Pinocchio, but he told a lie, for he had them in his pocket.
“我把它们丢了。”皮诺曹回答道,但他撒了个谎,因为他其实把金币放在了口袋里。

As he spoke, his nose, long though it was, became at least two inches longer.
他刚说完,他的鼻子,虽然已经很长,还变长了至少两英寸。

“And where did you lose them?”
“你在哪里丢的?”

“In the wood near by.”
“在附近的森林里。”

At this second lie, his nose grew a few more inches.
在这第二个谎言之后,他的鼻子又长了几英寸。

“If you lost them in the near-by wood, ” said the Fairy, “we’ll look for them and find them, for everything that is lost there is always found.”
“如果你在附近的森林里丢了,”仙女说,“我们会去找,一定会找到的,因为在那里丢失的东西总是能找到。”

“Ah, now I remember,” replied the Marionette, becoming more and more confused.
“啊,我现在记起来了。”玩偶回答道,越来越困惑。 —

“I did not lose the gold pieces, but I swallowed them when I drank the medicine.”
“我没有丢失金子,但是当我喝药的时候吞下了它们。”

At this third lie, his nose became longer than ever, so long that he could not even turn around.
在这第三个谎言上,他的鼻子变得比以往任何时候都要长,长到他甚至无法转身。 —

If he turned to the right, he knocked it against the bed or into the windowpanes;
如果他向右转,他的鼻子会撞到床上或窗户玻璃上; —

if he turned to the left, he struck the walls or the door;
如果他向左转,他会撞到墙壁或门上; —

if he raised it a bit, he almost put the Fairy’s eyes out.
如果他稍微抬起一点,他几乎会把仙女的眼睛戳瞎。

The Fairy sat looking at him and laughing.
仙女坐在那里看着他笑。

“Why do you laugh?” the Marionette asked her, worried now at the sight of his growing nose.
“你为什么笑?”木偶问她,现在看到他越来越长的鼻子开始担心起来。

“I am laughing at your lies.”
“我笑你的谎言。”

“How do you know I am lying?”
“你怎么知道我在说谎?”

“Lies, my boy, are known in a moment.
“孩子, —

There are two kinds of lies, lies with short legs and lies with long noses.
谎言一下子就能看出来。谎言有短腿和长鼻子两种。 —

Yours, just now, happen to have long noses.”
你的鼻子现在就变得很长。”

Pinocchio, not knowing where to hide his shame, tried to escape from the room, but his nose had become so long that he could not get it out of the door.
皮诺曹不知道该躲到哪里去遮掩自己的羞耻,试图离开房间,但他的鼻子变得如此之长,以至于无法从门口伸出。