Pinocchio promises the Fairy to be good and to study, as he is growing tired of being a Marionette, and wishes to become a real boy.
皮诺曹答应仙子要做个好孩子,好好学习,因为他已经厌倦了做木偶,希望能成为一个真正的男孩。

If Pinocchio cried much longer, the little woman thought he would melt away, so she finally admitted that she was the little Fairy with Azure Hair.
如果皮诺曹再哭下去,那个小女人想他可能会融化掉,所以她终于承认自己就是那个有蓝色头发的小仙女。

“You rascal of a Marionette!
“你这个无赖的木偶! —

How did you know it was I?
你怎么知道是我? —

” she asked, laughing.
”她问道,笑着。

“My love for you told me who you were.”
“是我对你的爱告诉我你是谁。”

“Do you remember? You left me when I was a little girl and now you find me a grown woman.
“你还记得吗?当我还是个小女孩的时候你离开了我,现在你找到了我已经是一个大人了。 —

I am so old, I could almost be your mother!”
我已经老了,几乎可以当你的妈妈了!”

“I am very glad of that, for then I can call you mother instead of sister.
“我为此非常高兴,这样我可以称你为妈妈而不是姐姐。” —

For a long time I have wanted a mother, just like other boys.
我很长时间想要一个妈妈,就像其他孩子一样。 —

But how did you grow so quickly?”
但是你为什么长得这么快呢?”

“That’s a secret!”
“这是一个秘密!”

“Tell it to me. I also want to grow a little.
“告诉我吧。我也想长大一点。 —

Look at me! I have never grown higher than a penny’s worth of cheese.”
看着我!我从未长高过一便士的奶酪。”

“But you can’t grow,” answered the Fairy.
“但是你不能长高,”仙子回答道。

“Why not?”
“为什么不行呢?”

“Because Marionettes never grow.
“因为木偶从不长大。 —

They are born Marionettes, they live Marionettes, and they die Marionettes.”
他们以木偶的形态来到世上,一生都是木偶,最后也将以木偶的形态离开。”

“Oh, I’m tired of always being a Marionette!
“噢,我受够了一直作为木偶! —

” cried Pinocchio disgustedly.
”皮诺曹厌恶地喊道。 —

“It’s about time for me to grow into a man as everyone else does.”
“是时候像其他人一样长大成人了。”

“And you will if you deserve it–”
“如果你值得的话,你会实现这个愿望的。”

“Really? What can I do to deserve it?”
“真的吗?我该怎么做才能值得呢?”

“It’s a very simple matter.
“这个很简单。 —

Try to act like a well-behaved child.”
试着表现得像个乖巧的孩子。”

“Don’t you think I do?”
“你不认为我已经这么做了吗?”

“Far from it! Good boys are obedient, and you, on the contrary–”
“远非如此!好孩子都是听话的,而你,恰恰相反–”

“And I never obey.”
“而且我从不听从命令。”

“Good boys love study and work, but you–”
“好孩子喜欢学习和工作,而你–”

“And I, on the contrary, am a lazy fellow and a tramp all year round.”
“而我,相反地,整年都是个懒散的无业游民。”

“Good boys always tell the truth.”
“好孩子总是说实话。”

“And I always tell lies.”
“而我总是说谎话。”

“Good boys go gladly to school.”
“好孩子愿意去学校。”

“And I get sick if I go to school.
“而我如果去学校就会生病。 —

From now on I’ll be different.”
从现在开始我会改变的。”

“Do you promise?”
“你保证吗?”

“I promise. I want to become a good boy and be a comfort to my father.
“我保证。我想要成为一个好孩子,给我的父亲带来安慰。 —

Where is my poor father now?”
我的可怜父亲现在在哪里?”

“I do not know.”
“我不知道。”

“Will I ever be lucky enough to find him and embrace him once more?”
“我会有幸再次找到他,拥抱他吗?”

“I think so. Indeed, I am sure of it.”
“我想是的。确实,我很确定。”

At this answer, Pinocchio’s happiness was very great.
听到这个答案,皮诺曹非常高兴。 —

He grasped the Fairy’s hands and kissed them so hard that it looked as if he had lost his head.
他抓住仙女的手,亲了亲,好像他失去了理智。 —

Then lifting his face, he looked at her lovingly and asked: “Tell me, little Mother, it isn’t true that you are dead, is it?”
然后抬起脸,充满爱意地看着她,问道:“告诉我,小母亲,您并没有死,对吗?”

“It doesn’t seem so, ” answered the Fairy, smiling.
“好像不是呢。”仙女微笑着回答。

“If you only knew how I suffered and how I wept when I read ‘Here lies–’”
“如果您能知道我有多么痛苦,多么伤心地读到‘这里躺着-’”

“I know it, and for that I have forgiven you.
“我知道,我已经原谅了你。 —

The depth of your sorrow made me see that you have a kind heart.
你深深的悲伤让我看到了你有一颗善良的心。 —

There is always hope for boys with hearts such as yours, though they may often be very mischievous.
对于像你这样有善良心的孩子,总是有希望的,尽管他们经常非常调皮。” —

This is the reason why I have come so far to look for you.
这就是我为什么远远来找你的原因。 —

From now on, I’ll be your own little mother.”
从现在开始,我将成为你的小妈妈。

“Oh! How lovely!” cried Pinocchio, jumping with joy.
“哦!太可爱了!”皮诺曹高兴地跳了起来。

“You will obey me always and do as I wish?”
“你会永远听我的话,按照我的意愿行事吗?”

“Gladly, very gladly, more than gladly!”
“欣然,非常欣然,非常非常欣然!”

“Beginning tomorrow,” said the Fairy, “you’ll go to school every day.”
“从明天开始,”仙女说,“你每天去上学。”

Pinocchio’s face fell a little.
皮诺曹有点沮丧。

“Then you will choose the trade you like best.”
“然后你会选择你最喜欢的职业。”

Pinocchio became more serious.
皮诺曹变得更认真了。

“What are you mumbling to yourself?
“你在自言自语什么? —

” asked the Fairy.
”仙女问。

“I was just saying, ” whined the Marionette in a whisper, “that it seems too late for me to go to school now.”
“我只是说,”木偶小声抱怨道,“现在去上学好像太晚了。”

“No, indeed. Remember it is never too late to learn.”
“不,确实不会太晚学习。”

“But I don’t want either trade or profession.”
“但是我不想要任何职业。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because work wearies me!”
“因为工作让我感到疲倦!”

“My dear boy,” said the Fairy, “people who speak as you do usually end their days either in a prison or in a hospital.
“亲爱的孩子,”仙女说,“像你这样说话的人通常要么在监狱里度过余生,要么在医院里度过余生。” —

A man, remember, whether rich or poor, should do something in this world.
一个人,不管贫富,都应该在这个世界上做点事情。 —

No one can find happiness without work.
没有工作,谁也无法找到幸福。 —

Woe betide the lazy fellow!
懒汉可不得了! —

Laziness is a serious illness and one must cure it immediately;
懒惰是一种严重的疾病,必须立即治愈; —

yes, even from early childhood. If not, it will kill you in the end.”
是的,甚至从幼年时期就要这样。否则,最终会害了你。”

These words touched Pinocchio’s heart.
这些话触动了匹诺曹的心。 —

He lifted his eyes to his Fairy and said seriously:
他抬眼看着仙女,认真地说:“我会工作, —

“I’ll work; I’ll study;
我会学习, —

I’ll do all you tell me.
我会按你说的做。 —

After all, the life of a Marionette has grown very tiresome to me and I want to become a boy, no matter how hard it is.
毕竟,木偶的生活对我来说已经变得非常乏味,我想成为一个男孩,无论多么艰难。 —

You promise that, do you not?”
你答应我了,对吗?”

“Yes, I promise, and now it is up to you.”
“是的,我答应了,现在轮到你了。”