Pinocchio is caught by a Farmer, who uses him as a watchdog for his chicken coop.
Pinocchio被一个农夫抓住了,并被用作看守鸡窝的狗。

Pinocchio, as you may well imagine, began to scream and weep and beg;
正如你可能想象的那样,Pinocchio开始尖叫、哭泣和乞求; —

but all was of no use, for no houses were to be seen and not a soul passed by on the road.
但是一切都是徒劳的,因为在路上既看不到房子,也没有人经过。

Night came on.
夜幕降临。

A little because of the sharp pain in his legs, a little because of fright at finding himself alone in the darkness of the field, the Marionette was about to faint, when he saw a tiny Glowworm flickering by.
一方面是因为腿上的剧痛,一方面是因为在黑暗的田野中独自一人感到恐惧,木偶差点昏倒,但这时他看到一个微小的萤火虫闪烁而过。 —

He called to her and said:
他呼唤着说:

“Dear little Glowworm, will you set me free?”
“亲爱的小萤火虫,你能把我释放出去吗?”

“Poor little fellow!” replied the Glowworm, stopping to look at him with pity.
“可怜的小家伙!”萤火虫停下来悲怜地看着他说, —

“How came you to be caught in this trap?”
“你是怎么被困在这陷阱里的?”

“I stepped into this lonely field to take a few grapes and–”
“我踏进这片寂寞的田野采了几颗葡萄,然后……”

“Are the grapes yours?”
“葡萄是你的吗?”

“No.”
“不是的。”

“Who has taught you to take things that do not belong to you?”
“是谁教你拿属于别人的东西?”

“I was hungry.”
“我饿了。”

“Hunger, my boy, is no reason for taking something which belongs to another.”
“孩子,饥饿并不是拿别人东西的理由。”

“It’s true, it’s true!
“真的,真的! —

” cried Pinocchio in tears.
”皮诺曹抽泣着说道。 —

“I won’t do it again.”
“我不会再做了。”

Just then, the conversation was interrupted by approaching footsteps.
就在这时,脚步声传了过来,打断了他们的对话。 —

It was the owner of the field, who was coming on tiptoes to see if, by chance, he had caught the Weasels which had been eating his chickens.
原来是地主,他正在踮着脚尖过来看看是否抓到了一直吃他鸡的黄鼠狼。

Great was his surprise when, on holding up his lantern, he saw that, instead of a Weasel, he had caught a boy!
当他举起灯笼的时候,发现自己捉到的不是黄鼠狼,而是一个小男孩,他非常惊讶。

“Ah, you little thief!
“啊,你个小偷! —

” said the Farmer in an angry voice.
”地主生气地说道。 —

“So you are the one who steals my chickens!”
“原来你就是偷我鸡的人!”

“Not I! No, no!” cried Pinocchio, sobbing bitterly. “I came here only to take a very few grapes.”
“不是我!不,不!”皮诺曹伤心地大声哭喊。“我只是过来摘一些葡萄而已。”

“He who steals grapes may very easily steal chickens also.
“偷葡萄的人也很容易偷鸡。 —

Take my word for it, I’ll give you a lesson that you’ll remember for a long while.”
相信我的话,我会给你一个你会记住很久的教训。”

He opened the trap, grabbed the Marionette by the collar, and carried him to the house as if he were a puppy.
他打开捕鼠器,抓住了木偶的领子,像带小狗一样把他带回了屋子里。 —

When he reached the yard in front of the house, he flung him to the ground, put a foot on his neck, and said to him roughly:
当他走到房子前院时,他将他摔倒在地,用一只脚踩住他的脖子,粗暴地对他说: —

“It is late now and it’s time for bed.
“现在已经很晚了,该睡觉了。 —

Tomorrow we’ll settle matters.
明天我们会解决问题。 —

In the meantime, since my watchdog died today, you may take his place and guard my henhouse.”
与此同时,由于我的看门狗今天死了,你可以代替他守护我的鸡舍。”

No sooner said than done.
话音刚落, —

He slipped a dog collar around Pinocchio’s neck and tightened it so that it would not come off.
他就给皮诺曹戴上了一只狗项圈,并扎紧以防脱落。 —

A long iron chain was tied to the collar.
一根长长的铁链被系在项圈上, —

The other end of the chain was nailed to the wall.
链子的另一端被钉在墙上。

“If tonight it should happen to rain, ” said the Farmer, “you can sleep in that little doghouse near-by, where you will find plenty of straw for a soft bed.
“如果今晚下雨了,”农夫说,“你可以睡在旁边的小狗窝里,那里有足够多的稻草作为柔软的床铺。 —

It has been Melampo’s bed for three years, and it will be good enough for you.
这个窝是梅兰波睡了三年的,对你来说也足够好了。” —

And if, by any chance, any thieves should come, be sure to bark!”
“如果偶然有贼来了,一定要叫!”

After this last warning, the Farmer went into the house and closed the door and barred it.
在最后的警告之后,农夫走进了房子,关上门并上了门闩。

Poor Pinocchio huddled close to the doghouse more dead than alive from cold, hunger, and fright.
可怜的匹诺曹紧紧蜷缩在狗窝旁,饥寒交迫、生死悬在一线。 —

Now and again he pulled and tugged at the collar which nearly choked him and cried out in a weak voice:
偶尔,他拼命扯动勒得几乎勒死他的项圈,并用微弱的声音呼喊道:

“I deserve it! Yes, I deserve it!
“我罪有应得!是的,我罪有应得! —

I have been nothing but a truant and a vagabond.
我一直是个逃学和流浪的坏孩子。 —

I have never obeyed anyone and I have always done as I pleased.
我从来不听从任何人的话,总是随心所欲。” —

If I were only like so many others and had studied and worked and stayed with my poor old father, I should not find myself here now, in this field and in the darkness, taking the place of a farmer’s watchdog.
“如果我像其他许多人一样,努力学习、工作,并陪伴着可怜的老父亲,我现在就不会发现自己在这里,躺在这片田地的黑暗中,顶替着一只农场的看门狗。” —

Oh, if I could start all over again!
“哦,要是我能重新开始! —

But what is done can’t be undone, and I must be patient!”
可是已经发生了的事是无法改变的,我必须耐心等待!”

After this little sermon to himself, which came from the very depths of his heart, Pinocchio went into the doghouse and fell asleep.
在这个发自内心的自言自语之后,匹诺曹走进狗窝,睡着了。