The story of Pinocchio and the Talking Cricket, in which one sees that bad children do not like to be corrected by those who know more than they do.
《匹诺曹和说话的蟋蟀》的故事告诉我们,坏孩子不喜欢被知识更多的人纠正。

Very little time did it take to get poor old Geppetto to prison.
用了很短的时间,没落到那可怜的乔凭亚也走进了监狱。 —

In the meantime that rascal, Pinocchio, free now from the clutches of the Carabineer, was running wildly across fields and meadows, taking one short cut after another toward home.
而那个淘气包匹诺曹,此刻已经摆脱了宪兵的追捕,在田野和草地上疯狂奔跑,一直走捷径回家。 —

In his wild flight, he leaped over brambles and bushes, and across brooks and ponds, as if he were a goat or a hare chased by hounds.
在他疯狂逃跑的过程中,他像山羊或被猎狗追赶的野兔一样飞跃过荆棘和灌木丛,越过溪流和池塘。

On reaching home, he found the house door half open.
回到家里,他发现房门半开着,他溜进房间, —

He slipped into the room, locked the door, and threw himself on the floor, happy at his escape.
锁上门,欢天喜地地扑倒在地上,对自己的逃脱感到幸福。

But his happiness lasted only a short time, for just then he heard someone saying:
但他的幸福只持续了很短的时间,因为就在那时他听到有人说:

“Cri-cri-cri!”
“哧-哧-哧!”

“Who is calling me?
“谁在叫我? —

” asked Pinocchio, greatly frightened.
”匹诺曹惊恐地问道。

“I am!”
“是我!”

Pinocchio turned and saw a large cricket crawling slowly up the wall.
匹诺曹转过身,看到一只大蟋蟀在墙上慢慢爬行。

“Tell me, Cricket, who are you?”
“告诉我,蟋蟀,你是谁?”

“I am the Talking Cricket and I have been living in this room for more than one hundred years.”
“我是蟋蟀说唱家,已经在这个房间里生活了一百多年了。”

“Today, however, this room is mine, ” said the Marionette, “and if you wish to do me a favor, get out now, and don’t turn around even once.”
“不过,今天这个房间是我的,”木偶说,“如果你想帮我一个忙,就现在离开,不要回头。”

“I refuse to leave this spot, ” answered the Cricket, “until I have told you a great truth.”
“在我告诉你一个伟大的真理之前,我拒绝离开这个地方。”蟋蟀回答道。

“Tell it, then, and hurry.”
“那就告诉吧,并且快点。”

“Woe to boys who refuse to obey their parents and run away from home!
“那些不听从父母,离家出走的孩子们,真是倒霉!”蟋蟀说,“他们在这个世界上永远不会幸福,当他们长大后,会非常后悔。” —

They will never be happy in this world, and when they are older they will be very sorry for it.”
“蟋蟀啊,你尽管唱吧。我知道的是,明天黎明时分,我将永远离开这个地方。

“Sing on, Cricket mine, as you please.
是我留在这里,和其他男孩女孩一样, —

What I know is, that tomorrow, at dawn, I leave this place forever.
同样的事情将发生在我身上。 —

If I stay here the same thing will happen to me which happens to all other boys and girls.
们被送去上学,不管他们愿不愿意,他们都必须学习。至于我,让我告诉你,我讨厌学习! —

They are sent to school, and whether they want to or not, they must study.
觉得追逐蝴蝶、爬树和偷窃鸟巢才更有趣。 —

As for me, let me tell you, I hate to study!
” —

It’s much more fun, I think, to chase after butterflies, climb trees, and steal birds’ nests.”
是我留在这里,和其他男孩女孩一样,同样的事情将发生在我身上。

“Poor little silly!
“可怜的小傻瓜! —

Don’t you know that if you go on like that, you will grow into a perfect donkey and that you’ll be the laughingstock of everyone?”
难道你不知道,如果你继续这样下去,你就会变成一头完美的驴子,成为所有人的笑柄吗?”

“Keep still, you ugly Cricket!
“安静点,你这只丑陋的蟋蟀! —

” cried Pinocchio.
”皮诺曹喊道。

But the Cricket, who was a wise old philosopher, instead of being offended at Pinocchio’s impudence, continued in the same tone:
但这只蟋蟀是个聪明的老哲学家,没有因为皮诺曹的粗鲁而生气,依旧用同样的语气回答道:

“If you do not like going to school, why don’t you at least learn a trade, so that you can earn an honest living?”
“如果你不喜欢上学,为什么不学一门手艺,这样你可以谋生呢?”

“Shall I tell you something?” asked Pinocchio, who was beginning to lose patience.
“我要告诉你一个事实,好吗?”皮诺曹问道,开始失去耐心。 —

“Of all the trades in the world, there is only one that really suits me.”
“世界上,只有一种手艺真正适合我。”

“And what can that be?”
“那是什么?”

“That of eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, and wandering around from morning till night.”
“吃饭、喝水、睡觉、玩耍,从早到晚四处游荡。”

“Let me tell you, for your own good, Pinocchio, ” said the Talking Cricket in his calm voice, “that those who follow that trade always end up in the hospital or in prison.”
“让我告诉你,为了你自己好,皮诺曹,”说话的蟋蟀用平静的声音说道,“那些追求这种手艺的人最终都会进医院或监狱。”

“Careful, ugly Cricket!
“小心点,丑陋的蟋蟀! —

If you make me angry, you’ll be sorry!”
如果你惹怒我,你会后悔的!”

“Poor Pinocchio, I am sorry for you.”
“可怜的皮诺曹,我为你感到难过。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because you are a Marionette and, what is much worse, you have a wooden head.”
“因为你是个木偶,更糟糕的是,你还有个木头脑袋。”

At these last words, Pinocchio jumped up in a fury, took a hammer from the bench, and threw it with all his strength at the Talking Cricket.
听到这些话,皮诺曹勃然大怒,从工作台上拿起一把锤子,用全力将它扔向那只会说话的蟋蟀。

Perhaps he did not think he would strike it. But, sad to relate, my dear children, he did hit the Cricket, straight on its head.
也许他没有想到自己会击中它。但令人悲伤的是,亲爱的孩子们,他的确砸中了那只蟋蟀,正中它的脑袋。

With a last weak “cri-cri-cri” the poor Cricket fell from the wall, dead!
随着最后一声微弱的“嘤嘤嘤”,可怜的蟋蟀从墙上掉了下来,死了!