Geppetto returns home and gives his own breakfast to the Marionette
Geppetto回到家,将自己的早餐给了木偶。

The poor Marionette, who was still half asleep, had not yet found out that his two feet were burned and gone.
这个可怜的木偶还没有醒来,还不知道他的两只脚已经烧掉了。 —

As soon as he heard his Father’s voice, he jumped up from his seat to open the door, but, as he did so, he staggered and fell headlong to the floor.
他一听到父亲的声音,就从座位上跳了起来,要去开门,但是他踉跄了一下,摔倒在地上。

In falling, he made as much noise as a sack of wood falling from the fifth story of a house.
摔倒的时候,他发出了和从房子的五楼掉下的一袋木材一样大的声音。

“Open the door for me!
“给我开门! —

” Geppetto shouted from the street.
” Geppetto在街上大喊道。

“Father, dear Father, I can’t, ” answered the Marionette in despair, crying and rolling on the floor.
“爸爸,亲爱的爸爸,我不能,”木偶绝望地回答说,一边哭一边在地板上打滚。

“Why can’t you?”
“你为什么不能?”

“Because someone has eaten my feet.”
“因为有人吃掉了我的脚。”

“And who has eaten them?”
“是谁吃的?”

“The cat,” answered Pinocchio, seeing that little animal busily playing with some shavings in the corner of the room.
“是猫,”Pinocchio回答道,看到小动物正忙着在房间的角落玩一些刨花。

“Open! I say,” repeated Geppetto, “or I’ll give you a sound whipping when I get in.”
“我说开门!” Geppetto再次重复道,“否则我回来后会狠狠地打你。”

“Father, believe me, I can’t stand up. Oh, dear! Oh, dear! I shall have to walk on my knees all my life.”
“父亲,相信我,我站不起来了。哦,亲爱的!哦,亲爱的!我将来一辈子都得跪着走路。”

Geppetto, thinking that all these tears and cries were only other pranks of the Marionette, climbed up the side of the house and went in through the window.
格佩托以为这些眼泪和哭声只是小木偶的又一个恶作剧,顺着房子的边爬上去,通过窗户进去。

At first he was very angry, but on seeing Pinocchio stretched out on the floor and really without feet, he felt very sad and sorrowful.
起初他非常生气,但看到皮诺曹昏倒在地上,真的没有脚,他感到非常悲伤和难过。 —

Picking him up from the floor, he fondled and caressed him, talking to him while the tears ran down his cheeks:
他从地上把他捡起来,抚摸着他,对他说话,泪水顺着脸颊流下:

“My little Pinocchio, my dear little Pinocchio!
“我的小皮诺曹,我亲爱的小皮诺曹! —

How did you burn your feet?”
你是怎么烧伤了脚的?”

“I don’t know, Father, but believe me, the night has been a terrible one and I shall remember it as long as I live.
“我不知道,父亲,但相信我,这是一夜可怕的经历,我会记得一辈子。 —

The thunder was so noisy and the lightning so bright–and I was hungry.
雷声很大,闪电很亮——我饿了。 —

And then the Talking Cricket said to me, ‘You deserve it; you were bad;
然后小知更鸣说:“你活该;你太调皮了; —

’ and I said to him, ‘Careful, Cricket;
”然后我对他说:“小心点,蟋蟀; —

’ and he said to me, ‘You are a Marionette and you have a wooden head;
”然后他对我说:“你是个木偶,你有个木头头颅; —

’ and I threw the hammer at him and killed him.
“我把锤子扔向他,杀了他。 —

It was his own fault, for I didn’t want to kill him.
这是他自己的错,因为我不想杀他。” —

And I put the pan on the coals, but the Chick flew away and said, ‘I’ll see you again!
“我将锅放在火炭上,但小鸟飞走了,说道,‘再见! —

Remember me to the family.
代我向家人问好。’ —

’ And my hunger grew, and I went out, and the old man with a nightcap looked out of the window and threw water on me, and I came home and put my feet on the stove to dry them because I was still hungry, and I fell asleep and now my feet are gone but my hunger isn’t!
“我的饥饿越来越强烈,我走出去,老人戴着夜帽从窗户探出头,向我泼水,我回到家,把脚搁在炉子上晾干,因为我还是饥肠辘辘,然后我睡着了,现在我的脚没了,但饥饿还在!” —

Oh!–Oh!–Oh!” And poor Pinocchio began to scream and cry so loudly that he could be heard for miles around.
“哦!——哦!——哦!”可怜的匹诺曹开始大声尖叫和哭泣,声音在几英里外都能听到。

Geppetto, who had understood nothing of all that jumbled talk, except that the Marionette was hungry, felt sorry for him, and pulling three pears out of his pocket, offered them to him, saying:
乔培托对那堆杂乱无章的话一无所知,只知道木偶饿了,对他感到难过,他从口袋里拿出三个梨,递给他,并说道:

“These three pears were for my breakfast, but I give them to you gladly.
“这三个梨原本是我早餐要吃的,但我很愿意给你。吃了它们, —

Eat them and stop weeping.”
别再哭泣了。”

“If you want me to eat them, please peel them for me.”
“如果你想让我吃,就请给我削皮。”

“Peel them?” asked Geppetto, very much surprised.
“剥皮?”格佩托问道,非常吃惊。 —

“I should never have thought, dear boy of mine, that you were so dainty and fussy about your food.
“我从未想过,我亲爱的孩子,你对食物如此挑剔。 —

Bad, very bad! In this world, even as children, we must accustom ourselves to eat of everything, for we never know what life may hold in store for us!”
坏了,非常糟糕!在这个世界上,即使是孩子,我们也必须习惯吃任何东西,因为我们从不知道生活可能给我们带来什么!”

“You may be right,” answered Pinocchio, “but I will not eat the pears if they are not peeled.
“你可能是对的,”匹诺曹回答道,“但如果梨没剥皮,我就不吃。 —

I don’t like them.”
我不喜欢它们。”

And good old Geppetto took out a knife, peeled the three pears, and put the skins in a row on the table.
老善良的格佩托拿出一把刀,剥了三只梨,然后把皮排成一排放在桌子上。

Pinocchio ate one pear in a twinkling and started to throw the core away, but Geppetto held his arm.
匹诺曹一下子吃完了一只梨,然后准备扔掉果核,但格佩托扶住了他的手臂。

“Oh, no, don’t throw it away!
“哦,不要扔掉! —

Everything in this world may be of some use!”
这个世界上的一切都可能有用途!”

“But the core I will not eat!
“但是果核我不吃! —

” cried Pinocchio in an angry tone.
”匹诺曹愤怒地喊道。

“Who knows?” repeated Geppetto calmly.
“谁知道呢?”格佩托平静地重复道。

And later the three cores were placed on the table next to the skins.
然后,三个果核被放在桌子上,与皮并排放着。

Pinocchio had eaten the three pears, or rather devoured them.
匹诺曹吃掉了三个梨,或者说是狼吞虎咽地吃掉了。 —

Then he yawned deeply, and wailed:
然后他打了一个哈欠,嚎啕大哭起来:

“I’m still hungry.”
“我还饿。”

“But I have no more to give you.”
“但我再也没有能给你的了。”

“Really, nothing–nothing?”
“真的,一点都没有吗?”

“I have only these three cores and these skins.”
“我只有这三颗果核和这些果皮。”

“Very well, then,” said Pinocchio, “if there is nothing else I’ll eat them.”
“那好吧,”皮诺曹说,“如果没有别的了,我就吃它们。”

At first he made a wry face, but, one after another, the skins and the cores disappeared.
起初他做了个古怪的表情,但果核和果皮一个接一个地消失了。

“Ah! Now I feel fine!
“啊!现在我觉得很好! —

” he said after eating the last one.
”他在吃完最后一个后说道。

“You see,” observed Geppetto, “that I was right when I told you that one must not be too fussy and too dainty about food.
“你看,”杰佩托解释道,“我告诉你不能对食物太挑剔、太讲究,是对的。 —

My dear, we never know what life may have in store for us!”
“亲爱的,我们从来不知道生活会给我们带来什么!”