Pinocchio is thrown into the sea, eaten by fishes, and becomes a Marionette once more.
皮诺曹被扔进大海里,被鱼吃掉,又变回了一个木偶。 —

As he swims to land, he is swallowed by the Terrible Shark.
当他游到陆地时,他被一只可怕的鲨鱼吞了下去。

Down into the sea, deeper and deeper, sank Pinocchio, and finally, after fifty minutes of waiting, the man on the cliff said to himself:
越来越深入海底,皮诺曹沉入海中,经过五十分钟的等待后,岩崖上的人自言自语道:

“By this time my poor little lame Donkey must be drowned.
“我的可怜跛脚小驴现在应该溺水了。救他起来, —

Up with him and then I can get to work on my beautiful drum.”
我就可以开始制作我的漂亮鼓了。”

He pulled the rope which he had tied to Pinocchio’s leg–pulled and pulled and pulled and, at last, he saw appear on the surface of the water–Can you guess what?
他拉起系在皮诺曹腿上的绳子——拉啊拉啊拉,最后,他看到了水面上浮出的是什么? —

Instead of a dead donkey, he saw a very much alive Marionette, wriggling and squirming like an eel.
他所看到的不是一只死去的驴子,而是一只活蹦乱跳的木偶,像一条鳝鱼一样扭动着。

Seeing that wooden Marionette, the poor man thought he was dreaming and sat there with his mouth wide open and his eyes popping out of his head.
看到这个木制的木偶,这位可怜的人以为自己在做梦,坐在那里张大嘴巴,眼珠几乎要掉出眼眶。

Gathering his wits together, he said:
收拾好心情后,他说道:

“And the Donkey I threw into the sea?”
“我扔进海里的那只驴呢?”

“I am that Donkey,” answered the Marionette laughing.
“我就是那只驴,”木偶笑着回答道。

“You?”
“你?”

“I.”
“是我。”

“Ah, you little cheat!
“啊,你这个小骗子! —

Are you poking fun at me?”
你在嘲笑我吗?”

“Poking fun at you? Not at all, dear Master. I am talking seriously.”
“嘲笑你?亲爱的主人,我一点也没有。我是认真地说话。”

“But, then, how is it that you, who a few minutes ago were a donkey, are now standing before me a wooden Marionette?”
“那么,你刚才还是只驴子,怎么现在站在我面前变成了木偶?”

“It may be the effect of salt water.
“可能是海水的作用。 —

The sea is fond of playing these tricks.”
海洋喜欢玩这些把戏。”

“Be careful, Marionette, be careful!
“小木偶,小心点,不要嘲笑我! —

Don’t laugh at me! Woe be to you, if I lose my patience!”
如果我失去耐心,你就惨了!”

“Well, then, my Master, do you want to know my whole story?
“好吧,那么,主人,你想听我整个故事吗? —

Untie my leg and I can tell it to you better.”
解开我的腿,我可以更好地告诉你。”

The old fellow, curious to know the true story of the Marionette’s life, immediately untied the rope which held his foot.
老家伙好奇地想要了解小木偶生活的真实故事,立刻解开了绑着他脚的绳子。 —

Pinocchio, feeling free as a bird of the air, began his tale:
皮诺曹感觉自由得像空中的鸟儿,开始讲述他的故事:

“Know, then, that, once upon a time, I was a wooden Marionette, just as I am today.
“知道吗,从前我是一个木偶,就像我现在一样。 —

One day I was about to become a boy, a real boy, but on account of my laziness and my hatred of books, and because I listened to bad companions, I ran away from home.
有一天,我即将变成一个真正的孩子,但因为我的懒惰和对书籍的厌恶,因为我听信了坏伙伴的话,我逃离了家。” —

One beautiful morning, I awoke to find myself changed into a donkey–long ears, gray coat, even a tail!
一个美丽的早晨,我醒来发现自己变成了一头驴,长耳朵、灰色的皮毛,甚至还有一条尾巴! —

What a shameful day for me!
这对我来说是多么可耻的一天啊! —

I hope you will never experience one like it, dear Master. I was taken to the fair and sold to a Circus Owner, who tried to make me dance and jump through the rings.
我希望你永远都不会经历这样的一天,亲爱的主人。我被带到了集市并被一个马戏团老板买走,他试图让我跳舞并穿过环圈。 —

One night, during a performance, I had a bad fall and became lame.
一个晚上,在一场演出中,我摔倒了,变得瘸腿了。 —

Not knowing what to do with a lame donkey, the Circus Owner sent me to the market place and you bought me.”
不知道该如何处理一只瘸腿的驴子,马戏团老板把我送到了市场上,然后你买下了我。”

“Indeed I did! And I paid four cents for you.
“确实是我!我为你付了四分钱。 —

Now who will return my money to me?”
现在,谁来还给我钱?”

“But why did you buy me?
“但你为什么要买我? —

You bought me to do me harm–to kill me–to make a drumhead out of me!”
你买我是为了伤害我-杀了我-把我做成鼓面!”

“Indeed I did! And now where shall I find another skin?”
“确实是我!那么现在我该在哪里找到另一张皮呢?”

“Never mind, dear Master.
“没关系,亲爱的主人。 —

There are so many donkeys in this world.”
这个世界上有那么多驴子。”

“Tell me, impudent little rogue, does your story end here?”
“告诉我,这个厚颜无耻的小淘气,你的故事在这里结束了吗?”

“One more word,” answered the Marionette, “and I am through. After buying me, you brought me here to kill me.
“再说一个字,”木偶回答道,“我就走了。你买我来这里是为了杀我。” —

But feeling sorry for me, you tied a stone to my neck and threw me to the bottom of the sea.
但你很遗憾地为我系上了一块石头,把我扔到了海底。 —

That was very good and kind of you to want me to suffer as little as possible and I shall remember you always.
你这样想让我受尽痛苦真是太好了,我会永远记住你。 —

And now my Fairy will take care of me, even if you–”
现在,我的仙女会照顾我,尽管你……

“Your Fairy? Who is she?”
“你的仙女?她是谁?”

“She is my mother, and, like all other mothers who love their children, she never loses sight of me, even though I do not deserve it.
“她是我的母亲,像其他爱孩子的母亲一样,她从不忽视我,即使我不值得。” —

And today this good Fairy of mine, as soon as she saw me in danger of drowning, sent a thousand fishes to the spot where I lay.
今天,我的善良的仙女一看到我陷入淹死的危险,就派了一千条鱼来到我身边。 —

They thought I was really a dead donkey and began to eat me.
它们以为我是一只死去的驴子,开始啃我。 —

What great bites they took!
它们咬了多大一口啊! —

One ate my ears, another my nose, a third my neck and my mane.
一个吃了我的耳朵,另一个吃了我的鼻子,第三个吃了我的脖子和鬃毛。 —

Some went at my legs and some at my back, and among the others, there was one tiny fish so gentle and polite that he did me the great favor of eating even my tail.”
一些吃了我的腿,一些吃了我的背,还有一条非常温柔有礼貌的小鱼,它做了我一个伟大的恩惠,连我的尾巴都吃了。

“From now on,” said the man, horrified, “I swear I shall never again taste fish.
“从现在开始,”这个人惊恐地说,“我发誓我再也不吃鱼了。” —

How I should enjoy opening a mullet or a whitefish just to find there the tail of a dead donkey!”
我可以享受打开一条鲑鳟鱼或白鱼,只为发现里面有一匹死驴的尾巴!

“I think as you do,” answered the Marionette, laughing. “Still, you must know that when the fish finished eating my donkey coat, which covered me from head to foot, they naturally came to the bones–or rather, in my case, to the wood, for as you know, I am made of very hard wood.
“我和你的想法一样,”木偶回答着笑着说。“你必须知道,当鱼吃完了我身上从头到脚都套了的驴皮大衣后,它们自然会找到骨头,或者更准确地说,在我这种情况下是木头,因为你知道,我是由非常坚硬的木头制成的。 —

After the first few bites, those greedy fish found out that the wood was not good for their teeth, and, afraid of indigestion, they turned and ran here and there without saying good-by or even as much as thank you to me.
吃了几口后,那些贪婪的鱼发现木头对它们的牙齿不好,害怕消化不良,它们转身四处乱窜,甚至都不跟我道别或者说声谢谢。 —

Here, dear Master, you have my story.
亲爱的主人,这就是我的故事。 —

You know now why you found a Marionette and not a dead donkey when you pulled me out of the water.”
现在你知道了,当你把我从水里拉出来时,你找到的是一个木偶,而不是一匹死驴。

“I laugh at your story!
“我笑你的故事! —

” cried the man angrily.
”那人生气地说道。 —

“I know that I spent four cents to get you and I want my money back.
“我知道我花了四分钱买你,现在我想把我的钱拿回来。 —

Do you know what I can do;
你知道我能做什么吗? —

I am going to take you to the market once more and sell you as dry firewood.”
我要把你再次带到市场上,把你卖成干燥的柴火。”

“Very well, sell me. I am satisfied, ” said Pinocchio. But as he spoke, he gave a quick leap and dived into the sea.
“非常好,卖给我。我满意了,”小木偶皮诺曹说。但他话刚说完,他一个快速的跳跃,跳进了海里。 —

Swimming away as fast as he could, he cried out, laughing:
他尽快地游走,笑着喊道:

“Good-by, Master. If you ever need a skin for your drum, remember me.”
“再见,主人。如果你需要一块皮革做你的鼓,记得我。”

He swam on and on. After a while, he turned around again and called louder than before:
他继续向前游泳。过了一会儿,他再次转过身,比之前大声喊道:

“Good-by, Master. If you ever need a piece of good dry firewood, remember me.”
“再见,主人。如果你需要一块好的干木柴,记得我。”

In a few seconds he had gone so far he could hardly be seen.
只过了几秒钟,他游得远了,几乎看不见了。 —

All that could be seen of him was a very small black dot moving swiftly on the blue surface of the water, a little black dot which now and then lifted a leg or an arm in the air.
只能看到一个非常小的黑点在蓝色的水面上迅速移动,一个小小的黑点,偶尔会抬起一条腿或一只手臂。 —

One would have thought that Pinocchio had turned into a porpoise playing in the sun.
人们会以为皮诺曹变成了一个在阳光下玩耍的海豚。

After swimming for a long time, Pinocchio saw a large rock in the middle of the sea, a rock as white as marble.
游了很长时间后,皮诺曹看到了大海中间的一块大石头,一块像大理石一样洁白的石头。 —

High on the rock stood a little Goat bleating and calling and beckoning to the Marionette to come to her.
在石头上面站着一只小山羊,它响着并招手示意皮诺曹走过去。

There was something very strange about that little Goat. Her coat was not white or black or brown as that of any other goat, but azure, a deep brilliant color that reminded one of the hair of the lovely maiden.
那只小山羊非常奇怪。她的毛不是白色、黑色或棕色,而是深蓝色,一种明亮的颜色让人想起那位可爱女子的头发。

Pinocchio’s heart beat fast, and then faster and faster.
皮诺曹的心急得跳得越来越快。他加倍努力, —

He redoubled his efforts and swam as hard as he could toward the white rock.
尽力向白石游过去。 —

He was almost halfway over, when suddenly a horrible sea monster stuck its head out of the water, an enormous head with a huge mouth, wide open, showing three rows of gleaming teeth, the mere sight of which would have filled you with fear.
他游了差不多一半的路程时,突然一只可怕的海怪从水中露出头来,它巨大的头上有一张张敞开的大嘴,露出三排闪闪发亮的牙齿,单是看到这个景象就会让你充满恐惧。

Do you know what it was?
你知道那是什么吗?

That sea monster was no other than the enormous Shark, which has often been mentioned in this story and which, on account of its cruelty, had been nicknamed “The Attila of the Sea” by both fish and fishermen.
那个海怪就是那只巨大的鲨鱼,这在故事中经常提到,因为它的残忍性,被鱼类和渔民们戏称为“海洋的阿提拉”。

Poor Pinocchio! The sight of that monster frightened him almost to death!
可怜的皮诺曹!那个怪兽的样子几乎把他吓死了! —

He tried to swim away from him, to change his path, to escape, but that immense mouth kept coming nearer and nearer.
他试图游泳远离他,改变他的路径,逃脱,但是那张巨大的嘴越来越近了。

“Hasten, Pinocchio, I beg you!
“快点,小乔,我求求你! —

” bleated the little Goat on the high rock.
”小山羊在高岩上哀嚎着。

And Pinocchio swam desperately with his arms, his body, his legs, his feet.
皮诺曹用双臂、身体、腿和脚绝望地游泳着。

“Quick, Pinocchio, the monster is coming nearer!”
“快点,皮诺曹,那个怪物越来越近了!”

Pinocchio swam faster and faster, and harder and harder.
皮诺曹游得越来越快,越来越卖力。

“Faster, Pinocchio! The monster will get you!
“快点,皮诺曹!怪物会抓到你的! —

There he is! There he is! Quick, quick, or you are lost!”
它在那里!快点,快点,否则你就完了!”

Pinocchio went through the water like a shot–swifter and swifter.
皮诺曹像一颗子弹一样从水中穿过,越来越快。 —

He came close to the rock.
他接近了那块岩石。 —

The Goat leaned over and gave him one of her hoofs to help him up out of the water.
小山羊俯身过去,用一只蹄子帮他爬上岩石。

Alas! It was too late.
唉!为时已晚。 —

The monster overtook him and the Marionette found himself in between the rows of gleaming white teeth.
怪物赶上了他,木偶发现自己被困在那排闪亮的白牙之间。 —

Only for a moment, however, for the Shark took a deep breath and, as he breathed, he drank in the Marionette as easily as he would have sucked an egg.
只是片刻,然而,鲨鱼深深地吸了一口气,正如吸蛋那样容易地吞下了木偶。然后, —

Then he swallowed him so fast that Pinocchio, falling down into the body of the fish, lay stunned for a half hour.
他吞下去得如此之快,以至于掉进鱼体的皮诺曹昏倒了半个小时。

When he recovered his senses the Marionette could not remember where he was.
当他恢复了意识,木偶不记得自己在哪里。 —

Around him all was darkness, a darkness so deep and so black that for a moment he thought he had put his head into an inkwell.
他四周一片黑暗,一片如此深沉和黑暗,以至于他一度认为自己把头伸进了墨水瓶里。 —

He listened for a few moments and heard nothing.
他倾听了一会儿,什么声音也没有听到。 —

Once in a while a cold wind blew on his face.
偶尔会有一阵冷风吹在他的脸上。 —

At first he could not understand where that wind was coming from, but after a while he understood that it came from the lungs of the monster.
起初他无法理解那阵风是从哪里来的,但过了一会儿他明白了,那是从怪物的肺部来的。 —

I forgot to tell you that the Shark was suffering from asthma, so that whenever he breathed a storm seemed to blow.
我忘了告诉你,鲨鱼患有哮喘,所以每当他呼吸时,就好像有一场风暴。

Pinocchio at first tried to be brave, but as soon as he became convinced that he was really and truly in the Shark’s stomach, he burst into sobs and tears.
皮诺曹起初试图勇敢起来,但一旦他确信自己真的被困在鲨鱼的肚子里,他就哭了起来。 —

“Help! Help!” he cried. “Oh, poor me!
“救命!救命!”他喊道。“哦,可怜的我! —

Won’t someone come to save me?”
难道就没有人来救我?”

“Who is there to help you, unhappy boy?
“有谁能帮助你,可怜的男孩? —

” said a rough voice, like a guitar out of tune.
”一个嘶哑的声音说,听起来像一把走了调的吉他。

“Who is talking?” asked Pinocchio, frozen with terror.
“是谁在说话?”Pinocchio吓呆了。

“It is I, a poor Tunny swallowed by the Shark at the same time as you.
“是我,一个在同一时间被鲨鱼吞下的可怜的金枪鱼。 —

And what kind of a fish are you?”
那么你是什么鱼?”

“I have nothing to do with fishes. I am a Marionette.”
“我和鱼没有任何关系。我是一个木偶。”

“If you are not a fish, why did you let this monster swallow you?”
“如果你不是鱼,为什么会让这个怪物把你吞下?”

“I didn’t let him.
“我没有让他。 —

He chased me and swallowed me without even a ‘by your leave’!
他追着我并且毫不客气地把我吞下了! —

And now what are we to do here in the dark?”
现在我们在这黑暗中该怎么办?”

“Wait until the Shark has digested us both, I suppose.”
“等待鲨鱼把我们俩都消化掉,我猜。”

“But I don’t want to be digested, ” shouted Pinocchio, starting to sob.
“但我不想被消化!”Pinocchio哭喊起来。

“Neither do I,” said the Tunny, “but I am wise enough to think that if one is born a fish, it is more dignified to die under the water than in the frying pan.”
“我也不想。”金枪鱼说,“但我足够聪明,知道如果一个人生来是鱼,与其在煎锅里死去,还不如在水下死得更有尊严。”

“What nonsense!” cried Pinocchio.
“胡说八道!”Pinocchio喊道。

“Mine is an opinion,” replied the Tunny, “and opinions should be respected.”
“这是我的观点,应该尊重意见。”

“But I want to get out of this place.
“但我想离开这个地方。 —

I want to escape.”
我想逃离。”

“Go, if you can!”
“走吧,如果你能的话!”

“Is this Shark that has swallowed us very long?
“吞下我们的这条鲨鱼很长吗? —

” asked the Marionette.
”马里奥内特问道。

“His body, not counting the tail, is almost a mile long.”
“他的身体,不包括尾巴,几乎有一英里长。”

While talking in the darkness, Pinocchio thought he saw a faint light in the distance.
在黑暗中交谈时,匹诺曹认为自己在远处看到了一点微弱的光亮。

“What can that be?” he said to the Tunny.
“那是什么?”他对吞拿鱼说。

“Some other poor fish, waiting as patiently as we to be digested by the Shark.”
“其他一些可怜的鱼,像我们一样耐心地等待被鲨鱼消化。”

“I want to see him.
“我想见见他。 —

He may be an old fish and may know some way of escape.”
他可能是一条老鱼,也许知道某种逃脱的方法。”

“I wish you all good luck, dear Marionette.”
“祝你好运,亲爱的马里奥内特。”

“Good-by, Tunny.”
“再见,吞拿鱼。”

“Good-by, Marionette, and good luck.”
“再见,马里奥内特,祝你好运。”

“When shall I see you again?”
“什么时候我能再见到你?”

“Who knows? It is better not to think about it.”
“谁知道呢?最好不要想太多。”