Mrs. Shelby had gone on her visit, and Eliza stood in the verandah, rather dejectedly looking after the retreating carriage, when a hand was laid on her shoulder. —
雪尔比夫人已经去拜访了,而伊莉莎站在门廊上,有点沮丧地望着渐行渐远的马车,这时她的肩膀上被人拍了一下。 —

She turned, and a bright smile lighted up her fine eyes.
她转过头,美丽的眼睛里露出明亮的微笑。

“George, is it you? How you frightened me! Well; I am so glad you ’s come! —
“乔治,是你吗?你吓坏我了!哦,你来了我真高兴! —

Missis is gone to spend the afternoon; so come into my little room, and we’ll have the time all to ourselves.”
女主人出去度下午了;所以进我的小房间吧,我们就可以自己度过时间了。

Saying this, she drew him into a neat little apartment opening on the verandah, where she generally sat at her sewing, within call of her mistress.
说着,她拉着他进了一个整洁的小房间,房间通向门廊,在那里她通常坐着做针线活,可以随时听到女主人的叫声。

“How glad I am!–why don’t you smile?–and look at Harry–how he grows.” —
“我多高兴!–为什么不笑呢?–看看哈利–他长得多大了。 —

The boy stood shyly regarding his father through his curls, holding close to the skirts of his mother’s dress. —
男孩害羞地透过他的卷发看着父亲,紧紧拉着母亲裙边。 —

“Isn’t he beautiful?” said Eliza, lifting his long curls and kissing him.
“他是不是很漂亮?”伊莉莎说着,拉起他的长发亲吻他。

“I wish he’d never been born!” said George, bitterly. “I wish I’d never been born myself!”
“但愿他从未出生过!”乔治痛苦地说道。”但愿我从未出生过!”

Surprised and frightened, Eliza sat down, leaned her head on her husband’s shoulder, and burst into tears.
伊莉莎受到惊吓,坐下来,靠在丈夫的肩膀上,泪如泉涌。

“There now, Eliza, it’s too bad for me to make you feel so, poor girl!” said he, fondly; —
“现在,伊莉莎,让我这样让你感到难受,真对不起,可怜的姑娘!”他深情地说, —

“it’s too bad: O, how I wish you never had seen me–you might have been happy!”
“对不起:哦,我多希望你从未见过我–你本可以很幸福的!”

“George! George! how can you talk so? What dreadful thing has happened, or is going to happen? —
“乔治!乔治!你怎么能这样说呢?发生了什么可怕的事,或即将发生? —

I’m sure we’ve been very happy, till lately.”
我敢肯定我们一直很幸福,直到最近。”

“So we have, dear,” said George. Then drawing his child on his knee, he gazed intently on his glorious dark eyes, and passed his hands through his long curls.
“是的,亲爱的,”乔治说着。然后把孩子搂在膝盖上,专注地凝视他那耀眼的深黑眼睛,用手梳理着他长长的卷发。

“Just like you, Eliza; and you are the handsomest woman I ever saw, and the best one I ever wish to see; —
“就像你一样,伊莉莎;你是我见过最英俊的女人,也是我希望见到的最好的女人; —

but, oh, I wish I’d never seen you, nor you me!”
但是,哦,我真希望我从未见过你,你也从未见过我!”

“O, George, how can you!”
“哦,乔治,你怎么能这样说!”

“Yes, Eliza, it’s all misery, misery, misery! My life is bitter as wormwood; —
“是的,伊莉莎,这一切都是痛苦,痛苦,痛苦!我的生活像苦艾一样苦涩; —

the very life is burning out of me. I’m a poor, miserable, forlorn drudge; —
我的生命正在消逝。我是一个可怜、痛苦、无助的苦力; —

I shall only drag you down with me, that’s all. —
我只会拖垮你陪我一起沉沦,这就是全部。 —

What’s the use of our trying to do anything, trying to know anything, trying to be anything? —
我们努力做些什么有什么用,努力了解些什么有什么用,努力成为些什么有什么用? —

What’s the use of living? I wish I was dead!”
活着有什么用?我真希望我死了!”

“O, now, dear George, that is really wicked! —
“哦,亲爱的乔治,那真是太邪恶了! —

I know how you feel about losing your place in the factory, and you have a hard master; —
我知道你失去了工厂的位置是怎么感受,你有一个苛刻的主人; —

but pray be patient, and perhaps something–”
但请耐心些,也许会有些转机–”

“Patient!” said he, interrupting her; “haven’t I been patient? —
“耐心!”他打断她说;”我不是一直都很耐心吗? —

Did I say a word when he came and took me away, for no earthly reason, from the place where everybody was kind to me? —
当他毫无理由地来把我带走,使我离开每个人都对我友好的地方时,我有说过一句话吗? —

I’d paid him truly every cent of my earnings,–and they all say I worked well.”
我真实地付清了我所有的收入,–大家都说我工作很出色。”

“Well, it is dreadful,” said Eliza; “but, after all, he is your master, you know.”
“嗯,这确实太可怕了,”伊莉莎说;”但毕竟,他是你的主人,你知道的。”

“My master! and who made him my master? That’s what I think of–what right has he to me? —
“我的主人!是谁让他成为我的主人的?这是我所思考的–他有什么权利对我? —

I’m a man as much as he is. I’m a better man than he is. I know more about business than he does; —
我和他一样都是人。我比他更好。在商业方面我懂得比他多; —

I am a better manager than he is; I can read better than he can; —
我是一个比他更好的经理;我阅读流畅比他更好; —

I can write a better hand,–and I’ve learned it all myself, and no thanks to him,–I’ve learned it in spite of him; —
我的书写更加优秀–而且这些都是我自己学会的,和他没有关系,我尽管在他的阻挠下学会了; —

and now what right has he to make a dray-horse of me? —
现在他有什么权利把我当成一匹马呢? —

–to take me from things I can do, and do better than he can, and put me to work that any horse can do? —
–让我离开我能够做,而且比他做得更好的事情,让我去做任何马都可以胜任的工作? —

He tries to do it; he says he’ll bring me down and humble me, and he puts me to just the hardest, meanest and dirtiest work, on purpose!”
他试图这样做;他说他要让我谦卑下来;他故意让我做最艰苦、最卑劣、最龌龊的工作!”

“O, George! George! you frighten me! Why, I never heard you talk so; —
“哦,乔治!乔治!你吓到我了!我从未听你这样说话过; —

I’m afraid you’ll do something dreadful. I don’t wonder at your feelings, at all; —
我非常担心你的感受; —

but oh, do be careful–do, do–for my sake–for Harry’s!”
但是哦,请小心–为了我的缘故–为了哈里的缘故!”

“I have been careful, and I have been patient, but it’s growing worse and worse; —
“我一直小心谨慎,我一直耐心忍受,但情况越来越糟; —

flesh and blood can’t bear it any longer; —
血气之情再也无法忍受; —

–every chance he can get to insult and torment me, he takes. —
–他能找到的每一个侮辱和折磨我的机会,他都会抓住。 —

I thought I could do my work well, and keep on quiet, and have some time to read and learn out of work hours; —
我曾以为我可以做好我的工作,保持安静,并有时间在工作之外阅读和学习; —

but the more he see I can do, the more he loads on. —
但他见我能干,就越加加重负担。” —

He says that though I don’t say anything, he sees I’ve got the devil in me, and he means to bring it out; —
他说虽然我什么也没说,他看得出我心里有魔鬼,他打算让它显露出来; —

and one of these days it will come out in a way that he won’t like, or I’m mistaken!”
总有一天,它会以他不喜欢的方式显露出来,不然我就错了!”

“O dear! what shall we do?” said Eliza, mournfully.
“哦,亲爱的!我们该怎么办?”伊丽莎悲伤地说。

“It was only yesterday,” said George, “as I was busy loading stones into a cart, that young Mas’r Tom stood there, slashing his whip so near the horse that the creature was frightened. —
“就在昨天,”乔治说,”我正忙着往马车里装石头,年轻的托姆少爷站在那里,用鞭子猛打马,使那动物吓坏了。 —

I asked him to stop, as pleasant as I could,–he just kept right on. —
我礼貌地要求他停手,但他就是不听。 —

I begged him again, and then he turned on me, and began striking me. —
我再次求他,然后他转身对我动手动脚。 —

I held his hand, and then he screamed and kicked and ran to his father, and told him that I was fighting him. —
我抓住了他的手,然后他尖叫着踢着跑去找他父亲,告诉他我在打他。 —

He came in a rage, and said he’d teach me who was my master; —
他怒气冲冲地走进来,说他会教训我是谁的主人; —

and he tied me to a tree, and cut switches for young master, and told him that he might whip me till he was tired; —
然后他把我绑在树上,给年轻的少爷准备了树枝,告诉他可以抽打我直到抽累了; —

–and he did do it! If I don’t make him remember it, some time!” —
– 结果他就这么做了!如果我不让他记住这件事,总有一天! —

and the brow of the young man grew dark, and his eyes burned with an expression that made his young wife tremble. —
年轻男子的额头阴沉下来,他的眼睛里燃烧着一种让年轻的妻子颤抖的表情。 —

“Who made this man my master? That’s what I want to know!” he said.
“到底是谁让这个人成了我的主人?这就是我想知道的!”他说。

“Well,” said Eliza, mournfully, “I always thought that I must obey my master and mistress, or I couldn’t be a Christian.”
“嗯,”伊丽莎悲伤地说,”我一直认为我必须服从我的主人和女主人,否则我就不能成为一个基督徒。

“There is some sense in it, in your case; —
“在你的情况下是有道理的; —

they have brought you up like a child, fed you, clothed you, indulged you, and taught you, so that you have a good education; —
他们像小孩一样把你养大,给你吃喝,给你穿戴,纵容你,教导你,因此你接受了良好的教育; —

that is some reason why they should claim you. —
这是一些他们应该主张你的原因。 —

But I have been kicked and cuffed and sworn at, and at the best only let alone; and what do I owe? —
但我被踢、被铐、被骂,顶多只是被放任不管;我欠谁的? —

I’ve paid for all my keeping a hundred times over. I won’t bear it. —
我为自己的生活付出了一百倍的代价。我不会忍受。 —

No, I won’t!” he said, clenching his hand with a fierce frown.
不,我不会!”他说,紧握着拳头,愤怒地皱着眉头。

Eliza trembled, and was silent. She had never seen her husband in this mood before; —
伊丽莎颤抖着,保持沉默。她从未见过丈夫以这种情绪出现; —

and her gentle system of ethics seemed to bend like a reed in the surges of such passions.
她那温和的道德观似乎像芦苇在这样的激情浪潮中弯曲。

“You know poor little Carlo, that you gave me,” added George; —
“你记得你给我那只可怜的小卡洛吗?”乔治补充道; —

“the creature has been about all the comfort that I’ve had. —
“这个家伙一直是我唯一的安慰。他和我一起睡觉,白天跟着我,有一种看着我的眼神,好像他理解我内心的感受。 —

He has slept with me nights, and followed me around days, and kind o’ looked at me as if he understood how I felt. —
好吧,就在几天前,我刚用厨房门口捡的几块废料喂他,马主走过来,说我在以他的费用饲养他,说他负担不起每个黑奴都养狗,叫我给他脖子上绑块石头,扔进池塘。” —

Well, the other day I was just feeding him with a few old scraps I picked up by the kitchen door, and Mas’r came along, and said I was feeding him up at his expense, and that he couldn’t afford to have every nigger keeping his dog, and ordered me to tie a stone to his neck and throw him in the pond.”
“哦,乔治,你没这样做吧!”

“O, George, you didn’t do it!”
“这样做?绝不!但他做了。马主和汤姆用石头扔那只可怜的溺水生灵。可怜的家伙!

“Do it? not I!–but he did. Mas’r and Tom pelted the poor drowning creature with stones. Poor thing! —
他眼神哀伤地看着我,仿佛在问为什么我不救他。 —

he looked at me so mournful, as if he wondered why I didn’t save him. —
因为我不肯亲手这么做,我被鞭打了。我不在乎。 —

I had to take a flogging because I wouldn’t do it myself. I don’t care. —
马主会发现,我是一个不会被鞭笞驯服的人。 —

Mas’r will find out that I’m one that whipping won’t tame. —
行动留在每个人心中更持重,只因弗注去。 —

My day will come yet, if he don’t look out.”
我的日子总会来的,如果他不小心的话。”

“What are you going to do? O, George, don’t do anything wicked; —
“你打算干什么?哦,乔治,不要做任何邪恶的事; —

if you only trust in God, and try to do right, he’ll deliver you.”
如果你只信靠上帝,并努力做对的事,他会拯救你的。”

“I an’t a Christian like you, Eliza; my heart’s full of bitterness; —
“我不像你这样信基督教,伊莉莎;我的心充满了苦毒; —

I can’t trust in God. Why does he let things be so?”
我无法相信上帝。为什么他让事情变得这样呢?”

“O, George, we must have faith. Mistress says that when all things go wrong to us, we must believe that God is doing the very best.”
“哦,乔治,我们必须有信心。主人说,当一切对我们都不顺利时,我们必须相信上帝正在做最好的事情。”

“That’s easy to say for people that are sitting on their sofas and riding in their carriages; —
“那对坐在沙发上,坐在马车里的人来说倒是容易; —

but let ‘em be where I am, I guess it would come some harder. I wish I could be good; —
但让他们处在我的位置,我想会困难一些。我希望自己能变好; —

but my heart burns, and can’t be reconciled, anyhow. —
但我的心在燃烧,无法调和,无论如何。 —

You couldn’t in my place,–you can’t now, if I tell you all I’ve got to say. —
在我的位置上你不能,– 如果我告诉你我还有更多要说的。 —

You don’t know the whole yet.”
你还不了解全部。”

“What can be coming now?”
“现在又要出什么事吗?”

“Well, lately Mas’r has been saying that he was a fool to let me marry off the place; —
“最近,爸爸一直在说,当初让我嫁到这个地方是愚蠢的; —

that he hates Mr. Shelby and all his tribe, because they are proud, and hold their heads up above him, and that I’ve got proud notions from you; —
他讨厌谢尔比先生和他的全家,因为他们骄傲,把头抬得比他高,而且说我受了你的骄傲观念; —

and he says he won’t let me come here any more, and that I shall take a wife and settle down on his place. —
他说他不会让我再来这里,要我娶妻,安定下来在他的地方。” —

At first he only scolded and grumbled these things; —
一开始他只是责骂和咕哝这些话; —

but yesterday he told me that I should take Mina for a wife, and settle down in a cabin with her, or he would sell me down river.”
但昨天他告诉我我应该娶米娜为妻,在小屋里安定下来,否则他就会把我卖下河去。”

“Why–but you were married to me, by the minister, as much as if you’d been a white man!” —
“为什么——但你和我一样,被牧师娶了,就像是个白人一样。” —

said Eliza, simply.
伊丽莎简单地说。

“Don’t you know a slave can’t be married? There is no law in this country for that; —
“你难道不知道奴隶是不能结婚的吗?这个国家没有这样的法律; —

I can’t hold you for my wife, if he chooses to part us. —
如果他选择把我们分开,我不能把你当我的妻子。 —

That’s why I wish I’d never seen you,–why I wish I’d never been born; —
这就是为什么我希望我从未见过你,–为什么我希望我从未出生; —

it would have been better for us both,–it would have been better for this poor child if he had never been born. —
对我们两个人来说都会更好,–对这个可怜的孩子来说更好如果他从未出生过。 —

All this may happen to him yet!”
这一切也许还会发生在他身上!”

“O, but master is so kind!”
“哦,但主人是那么好啊!”

“Yes, but who knows?–he may die–and then he may be sold to nobody knows who. —
“是的,但谁知道呢?–他可能会死–然后他可能被卖给任何人。 —

What pleasure is it that he is handsome, and smart, and bright? —
他英俊聪明、聪明,有什么快乐呢? —

I tell you, Eliza, that a sword will pierce through your soul for every good and pleasant thing your child is or has; —
我告诉你,伊丽莎,每一件好事、令人愉快的事情你的孩子是或拥有的,都会刺穿你的灵魂; —

it will make him worth too much for you to keep.”
这会让他变得对你来说难以承受。”

The words smote heavily on Eliza’s heart; —
这些话重重地打在伊丽莎的心上; —

the vision of the trader came before her eyes, and, as if some one had struck her a deadly blow, she turned pale and gasped for breath. —
商人的愿景在她眼前浮现,仿佛有人给了她致命的打击,她脸色苍白,喘不过气来。 —

She looked nervously out on the verandah, where the boy, tired of the grave conversation, had retired, and where he was riding triumphantly up and down on Mr. Shelby’s walking-stick. —
她紧张地望着阳台上,那个已经厌倦了沉重对话的男孩,他正得意地骑着谢尔比先生的拐杖上下晃动。 —

She would have spoken to tell her husband her fears, but checked herself.
她想要告诉丈夫她的恐惧,但却止住了自己。

“No, no,–he has enough to bear, poor fellow!” she thought. —
“不,不,可怜的家伙已经承受了足够多!“她心想。 —

“No, I won’t tell him; besides, it an’t true; —
“不,我不会告诉他;而且,这不是真的; —

Missis never deceives us.”
夫人从来不会欺骗我们.”

“So, Eliza, my girl,” said the husband, mournfully, “bear up, now; and good-by, for I’m going.”
“那么,伊丽莎,我的姑娘,“丈夫悲伤地说道,”坚持下去吧;再见,我要走了。”

“Going, George! Going where?”
“走,乔治!去哪里?”

“To Canada,” said he, straightening himself up; and when I’m there, I’ll buy you; —
“去加拿大,“他挺直了身子,”到那里,我会买你; —

that’s all the hope that’s left us. You have a kind master, that won’t refuse to sell you. —
这是我们留下的唯一希望。你有一个好心的主人,不会拒绝卖你。 —

I’ll buy you and the boy;–God helping me, I will!”
我会买你和孩子;–上帝帮助我,我一定会买到!”

“O, dreadful! if you should be taken?”
“哦,可怕!如果你被抓到怎么办?”

“I won’t be taken, Eliza; I’ll die first! I’ll be free, or I’ll die!”
“我不会被抓到,伊丽莎;我宁愿死!我会成为自由的,否则我宁愿死!”

“You won’t kill yourself!”
“你不会自杀!”

“No need of that. They will kill me, fast enough; they never will get me down the river alive!”
“没有必要。他们会杀了我,非常快速;他们永远不会让我活着下到河里去!”

“O, George, for my sake, do be careful! Don’t do anything wicked; —
“乔治啊,为了我,请务必小心!不要做任何坏事; —

don’t lay hands on yourself, or anybody else! You are tempted too much–too much; —
不要加害于自己,或任何其他人!你受到了太多的诱惑–太多了; —

but don’t–go you must–but go carefully, prudently; —
但是不要–你必须去–但要小心,谨慎; —

pray God to help you.”
祈求上帝帮助你。”

“Well, then, Eliza, hear my plan. Mas’r took it into his head to send me right by here, with a note to Mr. Symmes, that lives a mile past. —
“好吧,伊丽莎,听我说我的计划。主人突然想让我顺路送一个纸条给住在一英里外的辛梅斯先生。 —

I believe he expected I should come here to tell you what I have. —
我相信他期望我会来这里告诉你我知道的事。 —

It would please him, if he thought it would aggravate `Shelby’s folks,’ as he calls ‘em. —
如果他认为这样做会激怒‘谢尔比家的人’的话,他就会高兴。 —

I’m going home quite resigned, you understand, as if all was over. —
我回家时会很顺从,你明白吗,好像一切都结束了。 —

I’ve got some preparations made,–and there are those that will help me; —
我已经做了一些准备–也有人会帮助我; —

and, in the course of a week or so, I shall be among the missing, some day. —
在一两个星期内,我会有一天不见踪影。 —

Pray for me, Eliza; perhaps the good Lord will hear you.”
为我祈祷,伊丽莎;也许上帝会听你的。”

“O, pray yourself, George, and go trusting in him; then you won’t do anything wicked.”
“哦,自己也要祈祷,乔治,去信赖他;这样你就不会做坏事。”

“Well, now, good-by,” said George, holding Eliza’s hands, and gazing into her eyes, without moving. They stood silent; —
“那么,再见了,”乔治说着,握着伊丽莎的手,凝视着她的眼睛,没有移动。他们静静地站着; —

then there were last words, and sobs, and bitter weeping,–such parting as those may make whose hope to meet again is as the spider’s web,–and the husband and wife were parted.
然后说最后的话,哭泣和苦涩的泪水–像那些或许永远无法再见的人分别那样,就像蜘蛛网一样脆弱的希望–丈夫和妻子被分开了。