The panels had closed on this dreadful vision, but light had not returned to the saloon:
面板已经关闭了这可怕的景象,但光线还没有返回到客厅内: —

all was silence and darkness within the Nautilus.
周围一片寂静和黑暗。 —

At wonderful speed, a hundred feet beneath the water, it was leaving this desolate spot.
以惊人的速度,在水下一百英尺深的地方,它正在离开这个荒凉的地方。 —

Whither was it going? To the north or south?
它要去哪里?往北还是往南? —

Where was the man flying to after such dreadful retaliation?
在这样可怕的报复之后,那个人飞往何处呢? —

I had returned to my room, where Ned and Conseil had remained silent enough.
我回到了我的房间,在那里Ned和Conseil保持沉默。 —

I felt an insurmountable horror for Captain Nemo. Whatever he had suffered at the hands of these men, he had no right to punish thus.
我对尼莫船长感到无法克服的恐惧。无论他在这些人手中经历了什么,他都没有权利这样惩罚他们。 —

He had made me, if not an accomplice, at least a witness of his vengeance.
他让我成为他复仇的见证,至少是一个见证。 —

At eleven the electric light reappeared.
十一点时灯光重新出现。 —

I passed into the saloon.
我走进了客厅。 —

It was deserted. I consulted the different instruments.
里面空无一人。我查看了不同的仪器。 —

The Nautilus was flying northward at the rate of twenty-five miles an hour, now on the surface, and now thirty feet below it.
Nautilus以每小时25英里的速度向北飞行,有时在水面上,有时在水下30英尺。 —

On taking the bearings by the chart, I saw that we were passing the mouth of the Manche, and that our course was hurrying us towards the northern seas at a frightful speed.
在查看航图时,我看到我们正在穿越曼切海峡口,我们的航线正以惊人的速度驶向北方海域。 —

That night we had crossed two hundred leagues of the Atlantic.
那天晚上,我们已经横渡了大西洋的两百海里。 —

The shadows fell, and the sea was covered with darkness until the rising of the moon.
阴影渐渐降临,直到月亮升起,海面上一片黑暗。 —

I went to my room, but could not sleep.
我回到了自己的房间, —

I was troubled with dreadful nightmare.
但无法入睡。我被可怕的噩梦所困扰。 —

The horrible scene of destruction was continually before my eyes.
毁灭的恐怖场面不断在我眼前浮现。 —

From that day, who could tell into what part of the North Atlantic basin the Nautilus would take us?
从那天起,谁又能说《鹦鹉螺号》会带我们去北大西洋盆地的哪个地方呢? —

Still with unaccountable speed.
速度仍然无法解释。 —

Still in the midst of these northern fogs.
依然处在这些北方雾中。 —

Would it touch at Spitzbergen, or on the shores of Nova Zembla?
它会停靠在斯匹茨博格或者新地岛的海岸吗? —

Should we explore those unknown seas, the White Sea, the Sea of Kara, the Gulf of Obi, the Archipelago of Liarrov, and the unknown coast of Asia?
我们应该探索那些未知的海域,白海、卡拉海、鄂毕湾、利亚洛夫群岛和亚洲未知的海岸? —

I could not say. I could no longer judge of the time that was passing.
我说不上来。我再也无法判断时间的流逝了。 —

The clocks had been stopped on board.
船上的钟已经停止了。 —

It seemed, as in polar countries, that night and day no longer followed their regular course.
就像极地国家一样,这里的夜晚和白昼似乎不再按照规律进行。 —

I felt myself being drawn into that strange region where the foundered imagination of Edgar Poe roamed at will.
我感觉自己被吸引进入了那个奇怪的地方,埃德加·爱伦·坡的想象力在那里自由驰骋。 —

Like the fabulous Gordon Pym, at every moment I expected to see “that veiled human figure, of larger proportions than those of any inhabitant of the earth, thrown across the cataract which defends the approach to the pole.
就像神奇的戈登·派姆一样,我每时每刻都期待着看到“比地球上任何居民体型都更大的那个隐蔽的人影,横越守护着通往北极的瀑布”。 —

” I estimated (though, perhaps, I may be mistaken)—I estimated this adventurous course of the Nautilus to have lasted fifteen or twenty days.
我估计(虽然也许我记错了)——我估计这次鹦鹉螺号的冒险航行持续了十五到二十天。 —

And I know not how much longer it might have lasted, had it not been for the catastrophe which ended this voyage.
如果不是这次终结了这次航行的灾难,我不知道还能持续多久。 —

Of Captain Nemo I saw nothing whatever now, nor of his second. Not a man of the crew was visible for an instant.
现在我完全看不到尼莫船长,也看不到他的副手。船员中没有一个人会在短时间内出现。 —

The Nautilus was almost incessantly under water.
鹦鹉螺号几乎是持续在水下。 —

When we came to the surface to renew the air, the panels opened and shut mechanically.
当我们浮出水面换气时,舱门会自动打开和关闭。 —

There were no more marks on the planisphere.
图谱上再也没有任何标记了。 —

I knew not where we were. And the Canadian, too, his strength and patience at an end, appeared no more.
我不知道我们在哪。而加拿大人也消失了,他的力气和耐心已经到了极限。 —

Conseil could not draw a word from him; and, fearing that, in a dreadful fit of madness, he might kill himself, watched him with constant devotion.
康塞尔无法从他口中得到一句话;担心他可能在可怕的疯狂中自杀,康塞尔全心全意地看着他。 —

One morning (what date it was I could not say) I had fallen into a heavy sleep towards the early hours, a sleep both painful and unhealthy, when I suddenly awoke.
有一天早上(具体日期我不知道),我在凌晨时段陷入了一种沉重而不健康的睡眠中,突然醒了过来。 —

Ned Land was leaning over me, saying, in a low voice, “We are going to fly.
纳德·兰正俯身在我身边,低声说:“我们要飞了。 —

” I sat up.
”我坐了起来。

“When shall we go?” I asked.
“我们什么时候走?”我问道。

“To-night. All inspection on board the Nautilus seems to have ceased.
“今晚。舰上所有的检查似乎都停止了。所有人似乎都麻木了。 —

All appear to be stupefied.
您准备好了吗, —

You will be ready, sir?”
先生?”

“Yes; where are we?”
“是的;我们在哪里?”

“In sight of land. I took the reckoning this morning in the fog—twenty miles to the east.”
“看到了陆地。今天早上在雾中测过距离,在东边二十英里处。”

“What country is it?”
“是哪个国家?”

“I do not know; but, whatever it is, we will take refuge there.”
“我不知道;但不管是哪里,我们会在那里避难的。”

“Yes, Ned, yes. We will fly to-night, even if the sea should swallow us up.”
“是的,Ned,是的。即使大海吞噬了我们,我们也会在今晚起飞。”

“The sea is bad, the wind violent, but twenty miles in that light boat of the Nautilus does not frighten me.
“海很糟糕,风很猛,但在这艘“鹦鹉螺号”轻舟上航行20英里并不让我害怕。” —

Unknown to the crew, I have been able to procure food and some bottles of water.”
未经船员知情,我已经设法弄到了食物和一些瓶装水。

“I will follow you.”
“我会跟随你。”

“But,” continued the Canadian, “if I am surprised, I will defend myself; I will force them to kill me.”
“但是,”加拿大人继续说道,“如果我被发现,我将自卫;我将迫使他们杀死我。”

“We will die together, friend Ned.”
“我们会一起死,亲爱的Ned。”

I had made up my mind to all. The Canadian left me.
我已决定好一切。加拿大人离开了我。 —

I reached the platform, on which I could with difficulty support myself against the shock of the waves.
我来到了甲板上,我勉强支撑着自己来抵抗海浪的冲击。 —

The sky was threatening; but, as land was in those thick brown shadows, we must fly.
天空一片凶险;但是,因为在浓密的棕色阴影中有陆地,我们必须飞离。 —

I returned to the saloon, fearing and yet hoping to see Captain Nemo, wishing and yet not wishing to see him.
我回到了船舱,既害怕又希望见到尼摩船长,又希望又不希望见到他。 —

What could I have said to him?
我该对他说什么呢? —

Could I hide the involuntary horror with which he inspired me?
我会隐藏他给我带来的无意识的恐惧吗? —

No. It was better that I should not meet him face to face;
不。最好不要面对面地见到他; —

better to forget him.
最好忘记他。 —

And yet—— How long seemed that day, the last that I should pass in the Nautilus.
然而,那一天过得好漫长,好像是我在鹦鹉螺号上度过的最后一天。 —

I remained alone.
我独自一人待着。 —

Ned Land and Conseil avoided speaking, for fear of betraying themselves.
尼德兰德和康塞尔避免说话,怕暴露出自己。六点钟的时候我吃了饭, —

At six I dined, but I was not hungry;
但是我一点也不饿。 —

I forced myself to eat in spite of my disgust, that I might not weaken myself.
尽管感到恶心,我还是强迫自己吃东西,以免自己虚弱下去。 —

At half-past six Ned Land came to my room, saying, “We shall not see each other again before our departure.
六点半的时候尼德兰德来到我的房间说:“我们离开之前再也见不到彼此了。 —

At ten the moon will not be risen.
等十点钟的时候,月亮还没有升起来。 —

We will profit by the darkness.
我们要利用黑暗。 —

Come to the boat; Conseil and I will wait for you.”
到船上来;康塞尔和我会等你。”

The Canadian went out without giving me time to answer.
加拿大人出去的时候没有给我回话的时间。 —

Wishing to verify the course of the Nautilus, I went to the saloon.
为了验证鹦鹉螺号的航程,我去了起居室。 —

We were running N.N.E. at frightful speed, and more than fifty yards deep.
我们正在以可怕的速度向北北东航行,深度超过五十码。 —

I cast a last look on these wonders of nature, on the riches of art heaped up in this museum, upon the unrivalled collection destined to perish at the bottom of the sea, with him who had formed it.
我最后一次看着这些自然的奇观,看着这个博物馆里堆满的艺术财富,看着这个独一无二的收藏注定要在海底湮灭,与其创造者一同消亡。 —

I wished to fix an indelible impression of it in my mind.
我希望将它永远印在我的脑海中。 —

I remained an hour thus, bathed in the light of that luminous ceiling, and passing in review those treasures shining under their glasses.
我在那一刻停留了一个小时,沐浴在那光照下的天花板之下,回顾着那些在玻璃下闪耀的珍宝。 —

Then I returned to my room.
然后我回到自己的房间。

I dressed myself in strong sea clothing.
我穿上了厚实的海洋服装。 —

I collected my notes, placing them carefully about me.
我仔细地收集我的笔记,将它们放在身边。 —

My heart beat loudly.
我的心跳声很大。 —

I could not check its pulsations.
我无法控制它的跳动。 —

Certainly my trouble and agitation would have betrayed me to Captain Nemo’s eyes.
毫无疑问,我的困扰和焦虑会让纳莫船长看出来。 —

What was he doing at this moment?
此刻他在做什么? —

I listened at the door of his room. I heard steps.
我靠近他房间的门听着。我听到脚步声。 —

Captain Nemo was there. He had not gone to rest.
纳莫船长在那里。他没有去休息。 —

At every moment I expected to see him appear, and ask me why I wished to fly.
我每时每刻都期待着他会出现,问我为什么想要逃走。 —

I was constantly on the alert.
我一直保持警惕。 —

My imagination magnified everything.
我的想象力放大了一切。 —

The impression became at last so poignant that I asked myself if it would not be better to go to the Captain’s room, see him face to face, and brave him with look and gesture.
这种感觉最终变得如此强烈,以至于我问自己,是不是更好直接去船长的房间,面对面地见他,用眼神和姿态跟他对抗。

It was the inspiration of a madman;
这是一个疯子的灵感; —

fortunately I resisted the desire, and stretched myself on my bed to quiet my bodily agitation.
幸运的是,我抵制了渴望,躺在床上平静了身体的激动。 —

My nerves were somewhat calmer, but in my excited brain I saw over again all my existence on board the _Nautilus;
我的神经稍微平静了一些,但在兴奋的大脑中,我又一次看到了我在鹦鹉螺号上的全部存在; —

_ every incident, either happy or unfortunate, which had happened since my disappearance from the Abraham Lincoln—the submarine hunt, the Torres Straits, the savages of Papua, the running ashore, the coral cemetery, the passage of Suez, the Island of Santorin, the Cretan diver, Vigo Bay, Atlantis, the iceberg, the South Pole, the imprisonment in the ice, the fight among the poulps, the storm in the Gulf Stream, the Avenger, and the horrible scene of the vessel sunk with all her crew.

All these events passed before my eyes like scenes in a drama.
自从我从爱伯拉罕·林肯号上消失以来发生的每一件事,无论是幸福还是不幸——潜水艇的追捕、托雷斯海峡、巴布亚的野蛮人、搁浅、珊托林岛、克里特潜水员、维哥湾、亚特兰蒂斯、冰山、南极、冰中囚禁、章鱼的斗争、墨西哥湾的风暴、复仇者,以及船员全部遇难的可怕场景。 —

Then Captain Nemo seemed to grow enormously, his features to assume superhuman proportions.
所有这些事件在我眼前过去,就像戏剧中的场景。 —

He was no longer my equal, but a man of the waters, the genie of the sea.
然后尼莫船长似乎变得巨大,他的特征变得超乎人类的比例。

It was then half-past nine.
当时已是九点半了。 —

I held my head between my hands to keep it from bursting.
我抱着头以免它爆炸。 —

I closed my eyes; I would not think any longer.
我闭上眼睛,不再思考。 —

There was another half-hour to wait, another half-hour of a nightmare, which might drive me mad.
还要等半个小时,还有半个小时的噩梦,可能让我发疯。

At that moment I heard the distant strains of the organ, a sad harmony to an undefinable chant, the wail of a soul longing to break these earthly bonds.
就在那一刻,我听到了远处飘来的管风琴声,一种无法定义的咏叹调的哀伤和一个灵魂渴望摆脱尘世的哭泣声。 —

I listened with every sense, scarcely breathing; plunged, like Captain Nemo, in that musical ecstasy, which was drawing him in spirit to the end of life.
我用每一根感官静静地倾听着,几乎不敢呼吸;像尼摩船长一样陷入那种将他灵魂引向生命尽头的音乐狂喜中。

Then a sudden thought terrified me.
然后,一个突如其来的想法让我感到恐惧。 —

Captain Nemo had left his room.
尼摩船长已离开他的房间。 —

He was in the saloon, which I must cross to fly.
他在大厅里,我必须穿过大厅才能逃跑。 —

There I should meet him for the last time.
在那里,我将与他最后一次见面。 —

He would see me, perhaps speak to me.
他可能会看到我,甚至与我说话。 —

A gesture of his might destroy me, a single word chain me on board.
他一个动作可能摧毁我,一句话可能把我束缚在船上。

But ten was about to strike.
但是十点钟即将敲响。 —

The moment had come for me to leave my room, and join my companions.
此刻我要离开房间,与我的伙伴们会合。

I must not hesitate, even if Captain Nemo himself should rise before me.
即使尼摩船长亲自站在我面前,我也不能犹豫。 —

I opened my door carefully;
我小心地打开了门; —

and even then, as it turned on its hinges, it seemed to me to make a dreadful noise.
当门转动时,似乎发出了可怕的声音。 —

Perhaps it only existed in my own imagination.
也许这只存在于我自己的想象中。

I crept along the dark stairs of the Nautilus, stopping at each step to check the beating of my heart.
我小心翼翼地沿着“鹦鹉螺号”黑暗的楼梯爬行,每一步都停下来检查我的心跳。 —

I reached the door of the saloon, and opened it gently.
我走到了门口,轻轻地打开了它。 —

It was plunged in profound darkness.
房间里一片漆黑。 —

The strains of the organ sounded faintly.
但风琴的声音依然微弱地传来。 —

Captain Nemo was there. He did not see me.
船长尼摩就在那里。他没有看见我。 —

In the full light I do not think he would have noticed me, so entirely was he absorbed in the ecstasy.
在充满光线的情况下,我相信他也不会注意到我,因为他完全陶醉其中。

I crept along the carpet, avoiding the slightest sound which might betray my presence.
我蹑手蹑脚地穿过地毯,避免发出丝毫声音以暴露我的存在。 —

I was at least five minutes reaching the door, at the opposite side, opening into the library.
我花了至少五分钟才走到门口,那个位于对面通向图书馆的门。

I was going to open it, when a sigh from Captain Nemo nailed me to the spot.
我正准备打开门,船长尼摩的一声叹息让我呆在原地。 —

I knew that he was rising.
我知道他正在起身。 —

I could even see him, for the light from the library came through to the saloon.
我甚至可以看见他,因为图书馆的光透过到了大厅里。 —

He came towards me silently, with his arms crossed, gliding like a spectre rather than walking.
他静静地向我走来,双臂交叉,像幽灵一样滑行而不是行走。 —

His breast was swelling with sobs;
他的胸膛因啜泣而起伏, —

and I heard him murmur these words (the last which ever struck my ear):
我听到他喃喃自语的话(这是我听到的最后一句):

“Almighty God! enough! enough!”
“全能的上帝!够了!够了!”

Was it a confession of remorse which thus escaped from this man’s conscience?
这是这个人内心的悔恨吗?

In desperation, I rushed through the library, mounted the central staircase, and, following the upper flight, reached the boat.
在绝望中,我冲过图书馆,爬上中央楼梯,沿着上面的楼梯到达了船上。 —

I crept through the opening, which had already admitted my two companions.
我钻过已经让我的两个伙伴通过的入口处。

“Let us go! let us go!” I exclaimed.
“我们走吧!我们走吧!”我喊道。

“Directly!” replied the Canadian.
“马上!”加拿大人回答道。

The orifice in the plates of the Nautilus was first closed, and fastened down by means of a false key, with which Ned Land had provided himself;
首先关闭了《鹦鹉螺号》板块上的孔洞,并用尼德·兰德提供的假钥匙将其固定。 —

the opening in the boat was also closed.
船上的开口也被关闭。 —

The Canadian began to loosen the bolts which still held us to the submarine boat.
加拿大人开始解开仍然将我们固定在潜水艇上的螺栓。

Suddenly a noise was heard.
突然传来一阵声音。 —

Voices were answering each other loudly. What was the matter?
声音大声地互相回应着。是怎么回事? —

Had they discovered our flight?
他们发现了我们的逃跑吗? —

I felt Ned Land slipping a dagger into my hand.
我感到尼德·兰德把一把匕首塞进了我的手里。

“Yes,” I murmured, “we know how to die!”
是的,我喃喃道,“我们知道如何死亡!”

The Canadian had stopped in his work.
加拿大人停止了他的工作。 —

But one word many times repeated, a dreadful word, revealed the cause of the agitation spreading on board the Nautilus.
但是一个词被多次重复,一个可怕的词,揭示了在“鹦鹉螺号”上蔓延的不安的原因。 —

It was not we the crew were looking after!
我们的船员关注的不是我们!

“The maelstrom! the maelstrom!
“旋涡!旋涡! —

” Could a more dreadful word in a more dreadful situation have sounded in our ears!
”在这个可怕的情况下,还有比这更可怕的词吗! —

We were then upon the dangerous coast of Norway.
我们当时正处于挪威危险的海岸上。 —

Was the Nautilus being drawn into this gulf at the moment our boat was going to leave its sides?
当我们的小船即将离开时,鹦鹉螺号是否被卷入了这个海湾? —

We knew that at the tide the pent-up waters between the islands of Ferroe and Loffoden rush with irresistible violence, forming a whirlpool from which no vessel ever escapes.
我们知道在潮汐时,费罗群岛和洛福登群岛之间的被困的水体以不可抗拒的力量急速涌动,形成一个旋涡,没有船只能够逃脱。 —

From every point of the horizon enormous waves were meeting, forming a gulf justly called the “Navel of the Ocean, ” whose power of attraction extends to a distance of twelve miles.
从地平线的每个方向都汇聚着巨大的波浪,形成了一个名副其实的“大洋之脐”,其吸引力范围延伸到十二英里的距离。 —

There, not only vessels, but whales are sacrificed, as well as white bears from the northern regions.
在那里,不仅船只,而且还有来自北方地区的白熊被牺牲。

It is thither that the Nautilus, voluntarily or involuntarily, had been run by the Captain.
正是船长将“鹦鹉螺号”有意或无意地引导到了那里。

It was describing a spiral, the circumference of which was lessening by degrees, and the boat, which was still fastened to its side, was carried along with giddy speed.
它描述了一个逐渐缩小的螺旋,而船只仍然与它的一侧相连,以令人眩晕的速度被卷去。 —

I felt that sickly giddiness which arises from long-continued whirling round.
我感到那种因长时间旋转而产生的晕眩。

We were in dread. Our horror was at its height, circulation had stopped, all nervous influence was annihilated, and we were covered with cold sweat, like a sweat of agony!
我们非常害怕。我们的恐惧达到了顶点,循环已经停止,所有的神经影响被抹去,我们浑身冷汗,像一滴滴痛苦的汗水! —

And what noise around our frail bark!
我们脆弱的小船周围充满了什么样的噪音! —

What roarings repeated by the echo miles away!
多里斯远方的回声重复着轰鸣! —

What an uproar was that of the waters broken on the sharp rocks at the bottom, where the hardest bodies are crushed, and trees worn away, “with all the fur rubbed off, ” according to the Norwegian phrase!
那水破裂在尖锐的岩石上的喧嚣声,底下那里最坚硬的身体被碾碎,树木磨损得“毛都擦光了”,如同挪威人所说的!

What a situation to be in! We rocked frightfully.
这是一个多么糟糕的情况啊!我们摇摆得可怕。 —

The Nautilus defended itself like a human being.
《鹦鹉螺号》像一个人一样保护着自己。 —

Its steel muscles cracked.
它的钢肌肉嘎嘎作响。 —

Sometimes it seemed to stand upright, and we with it!
有时它似乎直立起来,而我们也跟着它一起!

“We must hold on,” said Ned, “and look after the bolts.
“我们必须坚持住,”尼德说,“并且照看好螺栓。 —

We may still be saved if we stick to the Nautilus.”
如果我们坚守《鹦鹉螺号》,或许还能被救。”

He had not finished the words, when we heard a crashing noise, the bolts gave way, and the boat, torn from its groove, was hurled like a stone from a sling into the midst of the whirlpool.
他还没说完,我们就听到一阵崩裂声,螺栓被撕裂开,船从轨道上被像石头被弹弓甩入漩涡的中心。

My head struck on a piece of iron, and with the violent shock I lost all consciousness.
我的头撞到一块铁上,剧烈的冲击让我失去了意识。