The way of describing this unlooked-for scene, the history of the patriot ship, told at first so coldly, and the emotion with which this strange man pronounced the last words, the name of the Avenger, the significance of which could not escape me, all impressed itself deeply on my mind.
对于这个突然出现的场景的描写方式,以及对爱国者船只的历史刻意冷漠的叙述,以及这个陌生人用激动的语气念出的最后几个单词,复仇者的名字,其意义不禁深深地印在我的脑海中。 —

My eyes did not leave the Captain, who, with his hand stretched out to sea, was watching with a glowing eye the glorious wreck.
我的目光没有离开船长,他伸出手望着大海,眼神中闪耀着对这骄人的残骸的向往。 —

Perhaps I was never to know who he was, from whence he came, or where he was going to, but I saw the man move, and apart from the savant.
也许我永远无法得知他是谁,他来自哪里,或者他要去哪里,但我看到他在移动,不像学者们。 —

It was no common misanthropy which had shut Captain Nemo and his companions within the Nautilus, but a hatred, either monstrous or sublime, which time could never weaken.
那把船长尼摩和他的同伴关在鹦鹉螺船里的绝非普通的厌世,而是一种时间无法削弱的嗜血,是怪诞或者壮丽的仇恨。 —

Did this hatred still seek for vengeance?
这种仇恨是否仍在寻求复仇? —

The future would soon teach me that.
未来很快会告诉我。 —

But the Nautilus was rising slowly to the surface of the sea, and the form of the Avenger disappeared by degrees from my sight.
但是鹦鹉螺船正在慢慢上升到海面上,复仇者的身影逐渐从我的视线中消失。 —

Soon a slight rolling told me that we were in the open air.
不久,一些微小的晃动告诉我我们已经置身于户外。就在那一刻, —

At that moment a dull boom was heard.
传来了一声沉闷的爆炸声。 —

I looked at the Captain. He did not move.
我看着船长。他一动不动。

“Captain?” said I.
“船长?”我说道。

He did not answer. I left him and mounted the platform.
他没有回答。我离开他,登上了甲板。 —

Conseil and the Canadian were already there.
康瑟尔和加拿大人已经在那里了。

“Where did that sound come from?” I asked.
“那个声音是从哪里来的?”我问。

“It was a gunshot,” replied Ned Land.
“是一声枪响,”尼德·兰回答道。

I looked in the direction of the vessel I had already seen.
我朝我之前看到的那艘船的方向看去。 —

It was nearing the Nautilus, and we could see that it was putting on steam.
它正接近鹦鹉螺号,我们看到它正在加足马力。 —

It was within six miles of us.
它离我们只有六英里了。

“What is that ship, Ned?”
“那艘船是什么国籍的,尼德?”

“By its rigging, and the height of its lower masts, ” said the Canadian, “I bet she is a ship-of-war.
“从她的帆具和下桅杆的高度来看,”加拿大人说道,“我打赌她是一艘军舰。 —

May it reach us;
愿它能追上我们; —

and, if necessary, sink this cursed Nautilus.”
如果有必要,就让它沉没这该死的鹦鹉螺号。”

“Friend Ned,” replied Conseil, “what harm can it do to the _Nautilus?
“朋友尼德,”康瑟尔回答道,“那艘船能对鹦鹉螺号造成什么伤害呢? —

_ Can it attack it beneath the waves?
它能在海底下攻击我们吗? —

Can its cannonade us at the bottom of the sea?”
它能在海底炮击我们吗?”

“Tell me, Ned,” said I, “can you recognise what country she belongs to?”
“告诉我,尼德,”我说道,“你能认出她是哪个国家的吗?”

The Canadian knitted his eyebrows, dropped his eyelids, and screwed up the corners of his eyes, and for a few moments fixed a piercing look upon the vessel.
这位加拿大人皱起了眉头,放低了眼睑,眼角紧闭,凝视着那艘船只。

“No, sir,” he replied;
“不,先生,”他回答道, —

“I cannot tell what nation she belongs to, for she shows no colours.
“我不知道她属于哪个国家,因为她没有升起国旗。” —

But I can declare she is a man-of-war, for a long pennant flutters from her main mast.”
但我可以肯定她是一艘军舰,因为一条长长的旗帜从她的主桅杆上飘扬。

For a quarter of an hour we watched the ship which was steaming towards us.
一个小时,我们注视着那艘正在向我们驶来的船只。 —

I could not, however, believe that she could see the Nautilus from that distance;
然而,我无法相信她能从那个距离看到“鹦鹉螺号”。 —

and still less that she could know what this submarine engine was.
更不用说她能知道这艘潜水艇引擎是什么了。不久, —

Soon the Canadian informed me that she was a large, armoured, two-decker ram.
加拿大人告诉我,她是一艘大型装甲双层撞击船。 —

A thick black smoke was pouring from her two funnels.
一股浓烟从她的两个烟囱中涌出。 —

Her closely-furled sails were stopped to her yards.
她紧密地收起了帆,停在了她的桅杆上。 —

She hoisted no flag at her mizzen-peak.
她的大桅尾没有升起任何旗帜。 —

The distance prevented us from distinguishing the colours of her pennant, which floated like a thin ribbon.
距离太远,我们无法辨别她旗帜的颜色,它像一条细带一样飘扬。 —

She advanced rapidly. If Captain Nemo allowed her to approach, there was a chance of salvation for us.
她迅速接近。如果海底两万里的船长允许她靠近,我们就有救的机会。

“Sir,” said Ned Land, “if that vessel passes within a mile of us I shall throw myself into the sea, and I should advise you to do the same.”
“先生,”尼德·兰德说,“如果那艘船离我们不到一英里的距离,我将跳入海中,我建议您也这样做。”

I did not reply to the Canadian’s suggestion, but continued watching the ship.
我没有回答加拿大人的建议,而是继续观察船只。 —

Whether English, French, American, or Russian, she would be sure to take us in if we could only reach her.
无论是英国的、法国的、美国的还是俄罗斯的船只,只要我们能接近,她们肯定会救我们。 —

Presently a white smoke burst from the fore part of the vessel;
不久,船上的前部冒出了一团白烟; —

some seconds after, the water, agitated by the fall of a heavy body, splashed the stern of the Nautilus, and shortly afterwards a loud explosion struck my ear.
几秒钟后,由于重物的坠落,水花溅到了鹦鹉螺号的尾部,紧接着,我听到了一声巨响。

“What! they are firing at us!” I exclaimed.
“什么!他们开枪了!”我叫道。

“So please you, sir,” said Ned, “they have recognised the unicorn, and they are firing at us.”
“如果您愿意,先生,”尼德说,“他们已经认出了那只独角兽,并且他们正在向我们开枪。”

“But,” I exclaimed, “surely they can see that there are men in the case?”
“但是,”我惊呼道,“他们肯定可以看到里面有人吧?”

“It is, perhaps, because of that, ” replied Ned Land, looking at me.
“这可能正是因为这个原因,”尼德·兰德看着我说。

A whole flood of light burst upon my mind.
一阵强烈的光芒照亮了我的思维。 —

Doubtless they knew now how to believe the stories of the pretended monster.
毫无疑问,他们现在应该知道如何相信那些假冒的怪物故事了。 —

No doubt, on board the Abraham Lincoln, when the Canadian struck it with the harpoon, Commander Farragut had recognised in the supposed narwhal a submarine vessel, more dangerous than a supernatural cetacean.
毫无疑问,在亨利·哈克特击中它的鱼叉时,费拉古特指挥官就已经认出所谓的独角鲸是一艘比超自然的鲸类更加危险的潜水艇。 —

Yes, it must have been so;
是的,肯定如此; —

and on every sea they were now seeking this engine of destruction.
现在他们在每个海上都在寻找这种毁灭性的武器。 —

Terrible indeed!
太可怕了! —

if, as we supposed, Captain Nemo employed the Nautilus in works of vengeance.
如果,正如我们所猜想的那样,尼莫船长利用鹦鹉螺进行报复行动。 —

On the night when we were imprisoned in that cell, in the midst of the Indian Ocean, had he not attacked some vessel?
在我们被困在印度洋中心的那个牢房的那个晚上,他不是袭击了某艘船只吗? —

The man buried in the coral cemetery, had he not been a victim to the shock caused by the _Nautilus?
埋葬在珊瑚墓地中的那个人,难道不是鹦鹉螺引起的冲击的受害者吗?是的, —

_ Yes, I repeat it, it must be so.
我再说一遍,肯定是这样。 —

One part of the mysterious existence of Captain Nemo had been unveiled;
尼莫船长神秘生活的部分已经揭开了面纱; —

and, if his identity had not been recognised, at least, the nations united against him were no longer hunting a chimerical creature, but a man who had vowed a deadly hatred against them.
即使他的身份没有被认出来,至少,团结起来反对他的各国不再追捕一个虚构的生物,而是一个对他们发誓的致命仇恨的人。 —

All the formidable past rose before me.
所有可怕的过去在我面前浮现。 —

Instead of meeting friends on board the approaching ship, we could only expect pitiless enemies.
与其在即将到达的船上遇见朋友,我们只能期待无情的敌人。 —

But the shot rattled about us.
但子弹却在我们周围乱飞。 —

Some of them struck the sea and ricochetted, losing themselves in the distance.
其中有些击中了海面,反弹而起,渐行渐远。 —

But none touched the Nautilus.
但没有一颗碰到了鹦鹉螺。 —

The vessel was not more than three miles from us.
船离我们只有不到三英里。 —

In spite of the serious cannonade, Captain Nemo did not appear on the platform;
尽管炮火凶猛,尼摩船长并没有出现在平台上; —

but, if one of the conical projectiles had struck the shell of the Nautilus, it would have been fatal.
但如果其中一枚圆锥形的弹丸击中了鹦鹉螺的壳,那将是致命的。 —

The Canadian then said, “Sir, we must do all we can to get out of this dilemma.
加拿大人接着说道:“先生,我们必须尽一切努力摆脱这个困境。 —

Let us signal them. They will then, perhaps, understand that we are honest folks.”
让我们向他们发出信号。也许,他们就会明白我们是诚实的人。”

Ned Land took his handkerchief to wave in the air;
纳德·兰德拿出手帕,挥舞在空中; —

but he had scarcely displayed it, when he was struck down by an iron hand, and fell, in spite of his great strength, upon the deck.
但他刚刚展示出来,就被一只铁手打倒,尽管他有很大的力量,仍然倒在甲板上。

“Fool!” exclaimed the Captain, “do you wish to be pierced by the spur of the Nautilus before it is hurled at this vessel?”
“傻瓜!”船长大声说道,“你想被鲨鱼号的刺穿透之前被抛向这艘船吗?”

Captain Nemo was terrible to hear;
尼摩船长的声音听起来很可怕; —

he was still more terrible to see.
他的样子更加可怕。 —

His face was deadly pale, with a spasm at his heart.
他的脸色苍白,心口像是被痉挛所抓住。 —

For an instant it must have ceased to beat.
他的心跳似乎停止了一会儿。 —

His pupils were fearfully contracted.
他的瞳孔惊人地收缩。 —

He did not speak, he roared, as, with his body thrown forward, he wrung the Canadian’s shoulders.
他没有说话,他咆哮着,身体向前倾,扭住了加拿大人的肩膀。 —

Then, leaving him, and turning to the ship of war, whose shot was still raining around him, he exclaimed, with a powerful voice, “Ah, ship of an accursed nation, you know who I am!
然后,他离开了加拿大人,转向这艘战舰,它的炮弹仍然不停地砸向他,他大声喊道:“啊,这艘该死的国家,你知道我是谁! —

I do not want your colours to know you by!
我不需要你的旗帜来辨认你!看! —

Look! and I will show you mine!”
我会给你看我的旗帜!”

And on the fore part of the platform Captain Nemo unfurled a black flag, similar to the one he had placed at the South Pole. At that moment a shot struck the shell of the Nautilus obliquely, without piercing it;
在平台的前部,尼摩船长展开了一面类似他曾在南极放置的黑旗。就在那一瞬间,一发子弹斜击中鹦鹉螺壳体,未能穿透它; —

and, rebounding near the Captain, was lost in the sea. He shrugged his shoulders;
并在船长附近反弹,在海中迷失了。他耸耸肩膀; —

and, addressing me, said shortly, “Go down, you and your companions, go down!”
并对我说道:“下去吧,你和你的伙伴们,下去吧!”

“Sir,” I cried, “are you going to attack this vessel?”
“先生,我喊道,难道你要攻击这艘船吗?”

“Sir, I am going to sink it.”
“先生,我将把它击沉。”

“You will not do that?”
“你不能这样做!”

“I shall do it,” he replied coldly.
“我一定会这样做的。”他冷冷地回答道, —

“And I advise you not to judge me, sir.
“我劝你不要妄加评判我,先生。” —

Fate has shown you what you ought not to have seen.
命运向你展示了你不应该看到的东西。 —

The attack has begun; go down.”
攻击已经开始了;快下去。

“What is this vessel?”
“这是什么船?”

“You do not know? Very well! so much the better!
“你不知道吗?很好!这样更好! —

Its nationality to you, at least, will be a secret. Go down!”
至少对你来说,它的国籍将是一个秘密。下去!”

We could but obey. About fifteen of the sailors surrounded the Captain, looking with implacable hatred at the vessel nearing them.
我们只能服从。大约有十五个水手围着船长,用无情的仇恨看着靠近他们的船。 —

One could feel that the same desire of vengeance animated every soul.
每个人都能感觉到同样的复仇欲望。 —

I went down at the moment another projectile struck the Nautilus, and I heard the Captain exclaim:
当另一个炮弹击中鲍므鱼时,我下到了船舱,听到船长大喊:

“Strike, mad vessel! Shower your useless shot! And then, you will not escape the spur of the Nautilus.
“打吧,疯狂的船!撒你毫无用处的炮弹吧!然后,你逃不过鲍므鱼的鞭策。 —

But it is not here that you shall perish!
但你不会在这里灭亡! —

I would not have your ruins mingle with those of the Avenger!”
我不愿意你的废墟和复仇者的废墟混在一起!”

I reached my room. The Captain and his second had remained on the platform.
我回到了我的房间。船长和他的副手留在甲板上。 —

The screw was set in motion, and the Nautilus, moving with speed, was soon beyond the reach of the ship’s guns.
螺旋桨开始运转,鲍므鱼迅速远离了船炮的射程。 —

But the pursuit continued, and Captain Nemo contented himself with keeping his distance.
但追逐依然继续,而尼莫船长满足于保持距离。

About four in the afternoon, being no longer able to contain my impatience, I went to the central staircase.
大约下午四点,我无法再控制自己的不耐烦,走向中央楼梯。 —

The panel was open, and I ventured on to the platform.
面板是开着的,我冒险走上平台。 —

The Captain was still walking up and down with an agitated step.
船长仍然在不安地走来走去。 —

He was looking at the ship, which was five or six miles to leeward.
他正望着离他五六英里的船。

He was going round it like a wild beast, and, drawing it eastward, he allowed them to pursue.
他像野兽一样绕着它转,将其拖向东方,让他们追赶。 —

But he did not attack.
但是他没有进攻。 —

Perhaps he still hesitated? I wished to mediate once more.
也许他还在犹豫?我希望再次调解。 —

But I had scarcely spoken, when Captain Nemo imposed silence, saying:
但我刚说话,尼莫船长就制止了我,说道:

“I am the law, and I am the judge!
“我是法律,我是法官! —

I am the oppressed, and there is the oppressor!
我是受压迫者,而那是压迫者! —

Through him I have lost all that I loved, cherished, and venerated—country, wife, children, father, and mother.
通过他,我失去了所爱、所珍惜和敬仰的一切——祖国、妻子、孩子、父亲和母亲。 —

I saw all perish! All that I hate is there! Say no more!”
我看着一切都毁灭了!我所憎恶的一切都在那儿!别再说了!”

I cast a last look at the man-of-war, which was putting on steam, and rejoined Ned and Conseil.
我最后望了一眼正在开动蒸汽的军舰,然后回到了尼德和康塞伊。

“We will fly!” I exclaimed.
“我们将飞起来!”我兴奋地喊道。

“Good!” said Ned. “What is this vessel?”
“很好!”尼德说道,“这是什么船?”

“I do not know; but, whatever it is, it will be sunk before night.
“我不知道,但是无论是什么,到晚上之前它都会沉没。 —

In any case, it is better to perish with it, than be made accomplices in a retaliation the justice of which we cannot judge.”
无论如何,与其成为一个我们无法判断公正与否的报复行动的帮凶,还不如和它一起灭亡。”

“That is my opinion too,” said Ned Land, coolly. “Let us wait for night.”
“我也是这么想的,”尼德·兰德冷静地说道,“让我们等待到晚上。”

Night arrived. Deep silence reigned on board.
夜幕降临。船上笼罩着沉寂的寂静。 —

The compass showed that the Nautilus had not altered its course.
指南针显示,鹦鹉螺没有改变航向。 —

It was on the surface, rolling slightly.
它在水面上轻轻地摇晃着。 —

My companions and I resolved to fly when the vessel should be near enough either to hear us or to see us;
我和我的同伴们决定,在船靠近到足够能听到或看到我们的位置时逃离; —

for the moon, which would be full in two or three days, shone brightly.
因为接下来的几天里,即将满月的月亮照亮了一切。 —

Once on board the ship, if we could not prevent the blow which threatened it, we could, at least we would, do all that circumstances would allow.
一旦上了船,如果我们不能阻止威胁船只的攻击,至少也要做出一切可能的事情。 —

Several times I thought the Nautilus was preparing for attack;
几次我以为鹦鹉螺在准备攻击; —

but Captain Nemo contented himself with allowing his adversary to approach, and then fled once more before it.
但尼摩船长满足于让他的对手靠近,然后再一次逃离。

Part of the night passed without any incident.
夜晚的一部分过去了,没有发生任何事情。 —

We watched the opportunity for action.
我们密切关注着行动的时机。我们说话很少, —

We spoke little, for we were too much moved.
因为我们都被激动得不知所措。 —

Ned Land would have thrown himself into the sea, but I forced him to wait.
尼德兰德本想扔自己入海,但我强迫他等待。 —

According to my idea, the Nautilus would attack the ship at her waterline, and then it would not only be possible, but easy to fly.
根据我的想法,鲍纳特号会攻击船只的水线部位,那样不仅可能,而且容易逃脱。

At three in the morning, full of uneasiness, I mounted the platform. Captain Nemo had not left it.
凌晨三点,我充满不安地站到甲板上。尼摩船长还没有离开。 —

He was standing at the fore part near his flag, which a slight breeze displayed above his head.
他站在船头附近,旗帜在他头顶上轻微的微风中展示着。 —

He did not take his eyes from the vessel.
他的目光没有离开那艘船只。 —

The intensity of his look seemed to attract, and fascinate, and draw it onward more surely than if he had been towing it.
他凝视的强烈程度似乎比拖曳它更能吸引、迷住并使它前进。 —

The moon was then passing the meridian.
月亮正经过中天, —

Jupiter was rising in the east.
木星正在东方升起。 —

Amid this peaceful scene of nature, sky and ocean rivalled each other in tranquillity, the sea offering to the orbs of night the finest mirror they could ever have in which to reflect their image.
在这和平的自然景象中,天空和大海彼此竞争以展现宁静,大海为夜晚的星球提供了最完美的镜子,让它们能够反射自己的形象。 —

As I thought of the deep calm of these elements, compared with all those passions brooding imperceptibly within the Nautilus, I shuddered.
当我想到这些元素所散发的深沉宁静,与潜在在鹦鹉螺内悄然酝酿的情感相比,我不禁感到颤栗。

The vessel was within two miles of us.
那艘船离我们只有两英里的距离。 —

It was ever nearing that phosphorescent light which showed the presence of the Nautilus.
一闪而过的磷光显示出鹦鹉螺的存在。 —

I could see its green and red lights, and its white lantern hanging from the large foremast.
我可以看到绿色和红色的灯光,以及悬挂在大前桅杆上的白色灯笼。 —

An indistinct vibration quivered through its rigging, showing that the furnaces were heated to the uttermost.
隐约的颤动贯穿着绳索,显示出炉火已被加热到了极致。 —

Sheaves of sparks and red ashes flew from the funnels, shining in the atmosphere like stars.
星星般的火花和红色的灰烬从烟囱中飞出,闪耀在大气中。

I remained thus until six in the morning, without Captain Nemo noticing me.
直到早上六点,我一直这样待着,却没有被尼摩船长注意到。 —

The ship stood about a mile and a half from us, and with the first dawn of day the firing began afresh.
那艘船离我们大约一英里半的距离,随着黎明的第一缕曙光,炮火又开始了。 —

The moment could not be far off when, the Nautilus attacking its adversary, my companions and myself should for ever leave this man.
这一刻的到来可能指的是,尼摩船长骑射鱼头鲸以后,我的同伴和我将永远离开这个人。 —

I was preparing to go down to remind them, when the second mounted the platform, accompanied by several sailors.
我正准备下去提醒他们时,第二个上了平台,几个水手跟在后面。 —

Captain Nemo either did not or would not see them.
尼摩船长或者没有看到他们,或者故意不理会。 —

Some steps were taken which might be called the signal for action.
做了一些可以称之为行动信号的举动。 —

They were very simple.
它们非常简单。 —

The iron balustrade around the platform was lowered, and the lantern and pilot cages were pushed within the shell until they were flush with the deck.
平台周围的铁栏杆被放下,灯笼和引导室被推入壳中,直到与甲板齐平。 —

The long surface of the steel cigar no longer offered a single point to check its manœuvres.
钢铁雪茄的长表面不再提供任何点来阻止它的操纵。 —

I returned to the saloon. The Nautilus still floated;
我回到了船舱。鱼头鲸仍在漂浮着; —

some streaks of light were filtering through the liquid beds.
一些光线透过液体床渗透进来。 —

With the undulations of the waves the windows were brightened by the red streaks of the rising sun, and this dreadful day of the 2nd of June had dawned.
随着波浪的起伏,窗户被朝阳的红光照亮,可怕的6月2日已经到来了。

At five o’clock, the log showed that the speed of the Nautilus was slackening, and I knew that it was allowing them to draw nearer.
五点钟时,航海日志显示出《鹦鹉螺号》的速度开始减慢,我知道这是为了让他们靠近。 —

Besides, the reports were heard more distinctly, and the projectiles, labouring through the ambient water, were extinguished with a strange hissing noise.
此外,报告听起来更清楚了,抛射物在周围的水中努力前进,发出奇怪的嘶嘶声。

“My friends,” said I, “the moment is come.
“朋友们”,我说,“时刻已经到来了。 —

One grasp of the hand, and may God protect us!”
握一握手,愿上帝保佑我们!”

Ned Land was resolute, Conseil calm, myself so nervous that I knew not how to contain myself.
尼德·兰决然坚定,孔塞尔冷静,而我却如此紧张,不知如何控制自己。 —

We all passed into the library;
我们都走进了图书馆; —

but the moment I pushed the door opening on to the central staircase, I heard the upper panel close sharply.
但是当我推开通往中央楼梯的门时,我听到上方的门板突然关上了。 —

The Canadian rushed on to the stairs, but I stopped him.
加拿大人冲上楼梯,但我拦住了他。 —

A well-known hissing noise told me that the water was running into the reservoirs, and in a few minutes the Nautilus was some yards beneath the surface of the waves.
一个熟悉的嘶嘶声告诉我水正在流入储水池,在几分钟内,鹦鹉螺号就会沉入海浪下方几码的地方。 —

I understood the manœuvre. It was too late to act.
我理解了那个动作。但是已经来不及采取行动了。 —

The Nautilus did not wish to strike at the impenetrable cuirass, but below the water-line, where the metallic covering no longer protected it.
鲨鱼号不希望撞击那不可穿透的铠甲,而是在水下水线以下攻击,那里的金属覆盖已经不再保护它了。

We were again imprisoned, unwilling witnesses of the dreadful drama that was preparing.
我们再次被囚禁,无意间成为了正在发生的可怕戏剧的目击者。 —

We had scarcely time to reflect;
我们几乎没有时间去思考; —

taking refuge in my room, we looked at each other without speaking.
躲在我的房间里,我们默默地对视着。 —

A deep stupor had taken hold of my mind:
一种深深的恍惚占据了我的思绪: —

thought seemed to stand still.
思维似乎停止了。 —

I was in that painful state of expectation preceding a dreadful report.
我正处于预感到可怕的爆炸之前那种痛苦的状态。 —

I waited, I listened, every sense was merged in that of hearing!
我等待着,倾听着,所有的感觉都融入了听觉! —

The speed of the Nautilus was accelerated.
鲨鱼号的速度加快了。它准备冲刺。 —

It was preparing to rush.
整艘船都在颤抖。 —

The whole ship trembled.
突然我尖叫了起来。 —

Suddenly I screamed.

I felt the shock, but comparatively light.
我感到了冲击,但相对轻微。 —

I felt the penetrating power of the steel spur.
我感受到了钢刺的穿透力。 —

I heard rattlings and scrapings.
我听到了咔嗒声和刮擦声。 —

But the Nautilus, carried along by its propelling power, passed through the mass of the vessel like a needle through sailcloth!
但是鲨鱼号在推进力的作用下,像针穿过帆布一样穿过了船体的一团气囊!

I could stand it no longer. Mad, out of my mind, I rushed from my room into the saloon.
我再也无法忍受了。发狂、失去理智,我从房间里冲出来,来到了客厅。 —

Captain Nemo was there, mute, gloomy, implacable;
那里有纳摩船长,沉默、忧郁、无情; —

he was looking through the port panel.
他透过舷窗正望着那个巨大的物体, —

A large mass cast a shadow on the water;
它在水上投下了一片阴影; —

and, that it might lose nothing of her agony, the Nautilus was going down into the abyss with her.
为了毫不错过她的痛苦,鹦鹉螺正与她一同沉入深渊; —

Ten yards from me I saw the open shell, through which the water was rushing with the noise of thunder, then the double line of guns and the netting.
离我十码远的地方,我看到了水从打开的亿优德游戏贝壳中涌出,发出如雷的声响,然后是两排炮和网带; —

The bridge was covered with black, agitated shadows.
甲板上黑色的、翻腾的阴影不断变化着;

The water was rising. The poor creatures were crowding the ratlines, clinging to the masts, struggling under the water.
水位上升,可怜的生物们挤满了横杆,抓住桅杆,在水下挣扎; —

It was a human ant-heap overtaken by the sea. Paralysed, stiffened with anguish, my hair standing on end, with eyes wide open, panting, without breath, and without voice, I too was watching!
船上已经成了被海水淹没的人类蚁丘。我被吓呆了,被痛苦所僵硬,头发竖立,睁大了眼睛,喘气着,声音消失了,我也在观看! —

An irresistible attraction glued me to the glass!
一种无法抗拒的吸引力将我粘在玻璃上! —

Suddenly an explosion took place.
突然发生了爆炸。 —

The compressed air blew up her decks, as if the magazines had caught fire.
压缩空气像火药引爆一样炸毁了她的甲板,使这不幸的船只更快地沉没了。 —

Then the unfortunate vessel sank more rapidly.

Her topmast, laden with victims, now appeared;
她带着受害者的顶桅现在出现了; —

then her spars, bending under the weight of men;
接着是她的桅杆,在人们的重量下弯曲。 —

and, last of all, the top of her mainmast.
最后,她的主桅顶部出现了。然后, —

Then the dark mass disappeared, and with it the dead crew, drawn down by the strong eddy.
黑暗的物体消失了,带走了被强大的涡流吸引着的死去船员。

[Illustration] The unfortunate vessel sank more rapidly
[插图] 不幸的船只沉没得更快了。

I turned to Captain Nemo. That terrible avenger, a perfect archangel of hatred, was still looking.
我转向了尼莫船长。那个可怕的复仇者,一个完美的仇恨的大天使,还在看着。 —

When all was over, he turned to his room, opened the door, and entered. I followed him with my eyes.
一切结束后,他转身走向自己的房间,打开门,走了进去。我用眼睛跟随着他。 —

On the end wall beneath his heroes, I saw the portrait of a woman, still young, and two little children.
在他英雄照片下的墙尾,我看到了一位依然年轻的女性和两个小孩的肖像。 —

Captain Nemo looked at them for some moments, stretched his arms towards them, and, kneeling down, burst into deep sobs.
尼莫船长凝视了他们一会儿,伸出了双臂,跪下来,哭得声音沉重。