The next day was the 9th of November.
第二天是11月9日。 —

I awoke after a long sleep of twelve hours.
我睡了整整12个小时才醒来。 —

Conseil came, according to custom, to know “how I had passed the night, ” and to offer his services.
按照惯例,康塞伊尔来了,询问我“晚上睡得怎么样”,并表示要提供他的服务。 —

He had left his friend the Canadian sleeping like a man who had never done anything else all his life.
他把他的加拿大朋友丢在那里睡觉,就像一个一辈子都没做过别的事情的人一样。 —

I let the worthy fellow chatter as he pleased, without caring to answer him.
我随他愿意的话说个不停,无需回答他。 —

I was pre-occupied by the absence of the Captain during our sitting of the day before, and hoping to see him to-day.
我头脑里念念不忘的是昨天的座谈会上船长的缺席,希望今天能见到他。

As soon as I was dressed I went into the saloon.
我一穿好衣服就进了客厅, —

It was deserted.
里面空无一人。

I plunged into the study of the shell treasures hidden behind the glasses.
我专注于研究藏在玻璃后的贝壳珍品。 —

I revelled also in great herbals filled with the rarest marine plants, which, although dried up, retained their lovely colours.
我还翻看了一些充满了稀有海洋植物的大型植物学书籍,虽然都已经干枯了,但颜色仍然美丽动人。 —

Amongst these precious hydrophytes I remarked some vorticellæ, pavonariæ, delicate ceramies with scarlet tints, some fan-shaped agari, and some natabuli like flat mushrooms, which at one time used to be classed as zoophytes;
在这些宝贵的水生植物中,我注意到了一些螺旋虫、孔雀藻、红色的细瓷,一些扇形的琼脂和一些类似扁平蘑菇的泥生动物,它们曾经被归类为动植物; —

in short, a perfect series of algæ.
简言之,这是一个完美的藻类系列。

The whole day passed without my being honoured by a visit from Captain Nemo. The panels of the saloon did not open.
整整一天过去了,我没有受到尼摩船长的光临。客厅的面板没有打开。 —

Perhaps they did not wish us to tire of these beautiful things.
也许他们不希望我们厌倦这些美丽的东西。

The course of the Nautilus was E.N.E., her speed twelve knots, the depth below the surface between twenty-five and thirty fathoms.
鹦鹉螺的航行方向是东北东,速度为每小时十二海里,水面下的深度为二十五至三十浔。

The next day, 10th of November, the same desertion, the same solitude. I did not see one of the ship’s crew:
第二天,11月10日,依然是一片荒凉,一片孤独。我没有见到一名船员: —

Ned and Conseil spent the greater part of the day with me.
Ned和Conseil大部分时间都和我在一起。 —

They were astonished at the inexplicable absence of the Captain.
他们对船长的莫名缺席感到惊讶。 —

Was this singular man ill?
这个奇特的人是不是生病了? —

—had he altered his intentions with regard to us?
他是否改变了对我们的意图?

After all, as Conseil said, we enjoyed perfect liberty, we were delicately and abundantly fed.
毕竟,如Conseil所说,我们享受着完全自由,食物丰盛美味。 —

Our host kept to his terms of the treaty.
我们的东道主遵守了条约的条件。 —

We could not complain, and, indeed, the singularity of our fate reserved such wonderful compensation for us, that we had no right to accuse it as yet.
我们不能抱怨,事实上,我们命运的奇特性为我们保留了如此美妙的补偿,我们还没有权利指责它。

That day I commenced the journal of these adventures which has enabled me to relate them with more scrupulous exactitude and minute detail.
那一天,我开始了这些冒险的日记,使我能够更加准确和详细地叙述它们。 —

I wrote it on paper made from the zostera marina.
我把它写在海草纸上。

11th November, early in the morning.
11月11日,清晨。 —

The fresh air spreading over the interior of the Nautilus told me that we had come to the surface of the ocean to renew our supply of oxygen.
新鲜的空气弥漫在“鹦鹉螺号”内部,告诉我我们已经浮出海面,以便补充氧气供应。 —

I directed my steps to the central staircase, and mounted the platform.
我走向中央楼梯,登上台阶。

It was six o’clock, the weather was cloudy, the sea grey but calm. Scarcely a billow. Captain Nemo, whom I hoped to meet, would he be there?
当时是六点钟,天气多云,大海灰暗但平静,几乎没有波涛。我希望能遇到尼莫船长,他会在那里吗? —

I saw no one but the steersman imprisoned in his glass cage.
我只看到了被困在玻璃笼子里的舵手。 —

Seated upon the projection formed by the hull of the pinnace, I inhaled the salt breeze with delight.
我坐在小艇船体凸出的部分上,欣喜地吸着咸咸的海风。

By degrees the fog disappeared under the action of the sun’s rays, the radiant orb rose from behind the eastern horizon.
雾气逐渐在太阳的照射下消散,辉煌的太阳从东方地平线升起。 —

The sea flamed under its glance like a train of gunpowder.
大海在它的凝视下像引线一样燃烧起来, —

The clouds scattered in the heights were coloured with lively tints of beautiful shades, and numerous “mare’s tails, ” which betokened wind for that day.
如同火药一样。高处散布的云彩以绚丽的色调点缀,数不清的“马尾巴”云暗示了这一天将有风。 —

But what was wind to this Nautilus which tempests could not frighten!
但对于这艘“鹦鹉螺号”来说,风根本不足为惧!

I was admiring this joyous rising of the sun, so gay, and so lifegiving, when I heard steps approaching the platform.
我正欣赏着太阳欢快而富有生机的升起,当我听到有人脚步声接近平台。 —

I was prepared to salute Captain Nemo, but it was his second (whom I had already seen on the Captain’s first visit) who appeared.
我已经准备好向尼摩船长致敬,但出现的却是他的副手(我在船长第一次来访时已经见过)。 —

He advanced on the platform, not seeming to see me.
他走上平台,似乎没有看见我。 —

With his powerful glass to his eye he scanned every point of the horizon with great attention.
他用强大的望远镜扫视着地平线上的每一个点,非常仔细地观察着。 —

This examination over, he approached the panel and pronounced a sentence in exactly these terms.
检查完毕后,他走近控制板,用如下的措辞发表了一句判决。 —

I have remembered it, for every morning it was repeated under exactly the same conditions.
我记得了这句话,因为每天早上都以完全相同的方式重复。 —

It was thus worded—
措辞如下:

“Nautron respoc lorni virch.”
“Nautron respoc lorni virch.”

What it meant I could not say.
我无法说出它的含义。

These words pronounced, the second descended.
这些话发音完毕,第二个降临。 —

I thought that the Nautilus was about to return to its submarine navigation.
我以为鹦鹉螺要回到潜航状态了。 —

I regained the panel and returned to my chamber.
我重新拿起操纵板,回到自己的房间。

Five days sped thus, without any change in our situation. Every morning I mounted the platform.
如此过了五天,情况没有任何改变。每天早晨,我都会登上甲板。 —

The same phrase was pronounced by the same individual.
同一个人说了同样的话。 —

But Captain Nemo did not appear.
但是尼摩船长没有露面。

I had made up my mind that I should never see him again, when, on the 16th November, on returning to my room with Ned and Conseil, I found upon my table a note addressed to me.
我已经下定决心再也见不到他了,然而在11月16日,我和尼德、康赛尔一起回到房间时,在桌子上找到一封写给我的便条。 —

I opened it impatiently. It was written in a bold, clear hand, the characters rather pointed, recalling the German type.
我不耐烦地打开了它。上面用一种鲜明而清晰的字迹写着,字符有些尖锐,让人想起德国的字体。 —

The note was worded as follows—
便条的内容如下—

16th of November, 1867.
1867年11月16日

TO PROFESSOR ARONNAX, On board the Nautilus.
致阿罗纳克斯教授,鹦鹉螺号船上。

Captain Nemo invites Professor Aronnax to a hunting-party, which will take place to-morrow morning in the forests of the island of Crespo.
尼摩船长邀请阿罗纳克斯教授参加明天早上在克雷斯波岛上的森林里举行的狩猎活动。 —

He hopes that nothing will prevent the Professor from being present, and he will with pleasure see him joined by his companions.
他希望没有什么能阻止教授出席,他很高兴能见到教授和他的伙伴们一起来。

CAPTAIN NEMO, Commander of the Nautilus.
舰长尼摩,鹦鹉螺号 的指挥官。

“A hunt!” exclaimed Ned.
“一次狩猎!”尼德叫道。

“And in the forests of the island of Crespo!
“在克雷斯波岛的森林里! —

” added Conseil.
”康塞尔补充道。

“Oh! then the gentleman is going on _terra firma?
“哦!那么先生要踏上陆地了吗? —

_” replied Ned Land.
”尼德·兰德回答说。

“That seems to me to be clearly indicated, ” said I, reading the letter once more.
“我觉得这很明显”,我边再次阅读那封信边说道。

“Well, we must accept,” said the Canadian.
“好吧,我们就接受吧”,加拿大人说道。 —

“But once more on dry ground, we shall know what to do.
“不过一旦再次踏上干燥的土地,我们就知道该怎么办了。 —

Indeed, I shall not be sorry to eat a piece of fresh venison.”
的确,我不介意吃点新鲜的鹿肉。”

Without seeking to reconcile what was contradictory between Captain Nemo’s manifest aversion to islands and continents, and his invitation to hunt in a forest, I contented myself with replying—
我没有试图调和尼摩船长对岛屿和大陆的明显厌恶与他邀请我们去森林狩猎之间的矛盾之处,我只是简单回答道:

“Let us first see where the island of Crespo is.”
“让我们先看看克雷斯波岛在哪里。”

I consulted the planisphere, and in 32° 40′ north lat.
我查看了星图,在北纬32° 40’, —

and 157° 50′ west long.
西经157° 50’处。 —

, I found a small island, recognised in 1801 by Captain Crespo, and marked in the ancient Spanish maps as Rocca de la Plata, the meaning of which is “The Silver Rock.” We were then about eighteen hundred miles from our starting-point, and the course of the Nautilus, a little changed, was bringing it back towards the south-east.
我发现了一个小岛,1801年被克雷斯波船长发现,并在古老的西班牙地图上标注为洛卡德拉普拉塔,意思是“银岩”。我们距离出发点大约有1800英里,而“鹦鹉螺号”的航线稍稍改变,正将其带回东南方向。

I showed this little rock lost in the midst of the North Pacific to my companions.
我向同伴展示了这个迷失在北太平洋中的小岛。

“If Captain Nemo does sometimes go on dry ground, ” said I, “he at least chooses desert islands.”
“如果尼莫船长有时上陆地,”我说,“他至少会选择无人的孤岛。”

Ned Land shrugged his shoulders without speaking, and Conseil and he left me.
尼德·兰默只是耸了耸肩,不说话,康塞尔和他离开了我。

After supper, which was served by the steward mute and impassive, I went to bed, not without some anxiety.
晚饭后,由一位无言而冷漠的管家服务,我有些担心地上床休息了。

The next morning, the 17th of November, on awakening, I felt that the Nautilus was perfectly still.
第二天早上,11月17日,我醒来时感到“鹦鹉螺号”完全静止。 —

I dressed quickly and entered the saloon.
我迅速穿好衣服进入了客厅。

Captain Nemo was there, waiting for me. He rose, bowed, and asked me if it was convenient for me to accompany him.
尼莫船长在那里等我。他起身鞠躬,并问我是否方便陪同他。 —

As he made no allusion to his absence during the last eight days, I did not mention it, and simply answered that my companions and myself were ready to follow him.
因为他在过去的八天没有提及他的缺席,我就没提起这一点,并简单地回答说我和我的同伴准备跟随他。

We entered the dining-room, where breakfast was served.
我们进入了就餐厅,那里摆满了早餐。

“M. Aronnax,” said the Captain, “pray, share my breakfast without ceremony;
“阿罗纳克斯先生,”船长说道,“请不要拘束,与我一起共进早餐, —

we will chat as we eat.
我们一边吃一边聊天。 —

For though I promised you a walk in the forest, I did not undertake to find hotels there.
尽管事先承诺会带您去森林散步,我并没有答应在那里找到酒店。 —

So breakfast as a man who will most likely not have his dinner till very late.”
所以请您像一个很可能要等到很晚才能吃晚餐的人一样享用早餐。”

I did honour to the repast.
我对这顿饭非常满意。 —

It was composed of several kinds of fish, and slices of holothuridæ (excellent zoophytes), and different sorts of sea-weed.
它由几种鱼和海胆片(优质的虫草动物)以及不同种类的海藻组成。 —

Our drink consisted of pure water, to which the Captain added some drops of a fermented liquor, extracted by the Kamschatcha method from a sea-weed known under the name of Rhodomenia palmata.
我们的饮料是纯净的水,船长还添加了一些从一种名为“棕红海藻”的海藻中通过堪察加方法提取的发酵酒精。 —

Captain Nemo ate at first without saying a word.
船长一开始没有说话就开始吃饭。 —

Then he began—
然后他开口了-

“Sir, when I proposed to you to hunt in my submarine forest of Crespo, you evidently thought me mad.
“先生,当我提议您在我那棵克雷斯波的潜艇森林中狩猎时,您显然觉得我疯了。” —

Sir, you should never judge lightly of any man.”
“先生,您不应该轻易对任何人下判断。”

“But Captain, believe me——”
“但船长,请相信我——”

“Be kind enough to listen, and you will then see whether you have any cause to accuse me of folly and contradiction.”
“请您耐心听我说,然后您就会看到是否有理由指责我疯狂和矛盾。”

“I listen.”
“我听着。”

“You know as well as I do, Professor, that man can live under water, providing he carries with him a sufficient supply of breathable air.
“教授,您和我一样清楚,只要他携带足够的可呼吸的气体,人类就可以在水下生活。” —

In submarine works, the workman, clad in an impervious dress, with his head in a metal helmet, receives air from above by means of forcing pumps and regulators.”
“在潜艇工作中,工人穿着一套不透水的衣服,头戴金属头盔,通过强制泵和调节器从上方获得空气。”

“That is a diving apparatus,” said I.
“那是潜水设备。”我说。

“Just so, but under these conditions the man is not at liberty;
“正是如此,但在这种情况下,人是没有自由的; —

he is attached to the pump which sends him air through an india-rubber tube, and if we were obliged to be thus held to the Nautilus, we could not go far.”
“他被连接到能通过橡胶管为他提供空气的泵上,如果我们被迫与‘鹦鹉螺号’保持这种联系,我们就无法走得远。”

“And the means of getting free?” I asked.
“那么摆脱这种连接的方法呢?”我问。

“It is to use the Rouquayrol apparatus, invented by two of your own countrymen, which I have brought to perfection for my own use, and which will allow you to risk yourself under these new physiological conditions without any organ whatever suffering.
“使用罗考罗尔呼吸器是最好的选择,这是两位你们国家的同胞发明的,并且我已经完善了这个呼吸器的使用方法。它能够让你在这种新的生理环境下冒险,而不会对任何器官造成伤害。 —

It consists of a reservoir of thick iron plates, in which I store the air under a pressure of fifty atmospheres.
它由一系列厚铁板构成的储气罐组成,我将空气储存于其中,压力为50个大气压。 —

This reservoir is fixed on the back by means of braces, like a soldier’s knapsack.
这个储气罐通过类似士兵背包的背带固定在背部。 —

Its upper part forms a box in which the air is kept by means of a bellows, and therefore cannot escape unless at its normal tension.
它的上部形成一个容器,通过气泵将空气保持在正常的张力下,因此除非在正常压力下,空气不会逸出。 —

In the Rouquayrol apparatus such as we use, two india-rubber pipes leave this box and join a sort of tent which holds the nose and mouth;
在我们使用的罗考罗尔呼吸器中,有两根橡胶管从这个容器中延伸出来,与一个包住鼻子和嘴巴的帐篷相连接; —

one is to introduce fresh air, the other to let out the foul, and the tongue closes one or the other according to the wants of the respirator.
一根用于引入新鲜空气,另一根用于排出污浊空气,根据呼吸器的需求,舌头会关闭其中一根管道。” —

But I, in encountering great pressures at the bottom of the sea, was obliged to shut my head, like that of a diver in a ball of copper;
但是我在海底承受着巨大的压力,不得不像潜水员那样把头整个封闭在一个铜球中; —

and it is to this ball of copper that the two pipes, the inspirator and the expirator, open.”
而这个铜球正是这两个管道的出口和入口。”

“Perfectly, Captain Nemo;
“完全正确,尼摩船长; —

but the air that you carry with you must soon be used;
但是您携带的空气必不能持久使用; —

when it only contains fifteen per cent.
当空气中只有百分之十五的氧气时, —

of oxygen it is no longer fit to breathe.”
就不再适合呼吸了。”

“Right! But I told you, M. Aronnax, that the pumps of the Nautilus allow me to store the air under considerable pressure, and on those conditions the reservoir of the apparatus can furnish breathable air for nine or ten hours.”
“没错!但我告诉过您,阿罗纳克斯先生,鹦鹉螺号的泵可以以很大的压力贮存空气,这种情况下设备的贮气仓可以提供九到十个小时的可以呼吸的空气。”

“I have no further objections to make,” I answered;
“我没有其他反对意见了,”我回答道, —

“I will only ask you one thing, Captain—how can you light your road at the bottom of the sea?”
“我只想问您一件事,船长——在海底如何照明道路呢?”

“With the Ruhmkorff apparatus, M. Aronnax;
“用卢姆科夫装置,阿罗纳克斯先生; —

one is carried on the back, the other is fastened to the waist.
一个背负,另一个系在腰间。 —

It is composed of a Bunsen pile, which I do not work with bichromate of potash, but with sodium.
它由一个Bunsen电堆组成,我不使用重铬酸钾,而是使用钠。 —

A wire is introduced which collects the electricity produced, and directs it towards a particularly made lantern.
引入一根导线,收集产生的电力,并将其引导到一个特制的灯笼中。 —

In this lantern is a spiral glass which contains a small quantity of carbonic gas.
这个灯笼里有一个螺旋玻璃,里面含有少量二氧化碳气体。 —

When the apparatus is at work this gas becomes luminous, giving out a white and continuous light.
当设备工作时,这种气体变得发光,发出一种白色连续的光。 —

Thus provided, I can breathe and I can see.”
这样一来,我就可以呼吸,也能看见。”

“Captain Nemo, to all my objections you make such crushing answers, that I dare no longer doubt.
“尼摩船长,对于我所有的异议,你都给出了如此有力的回答,我再也不能怀疑了。 —

But if I am forced to admit the Rouquayrol and Ruhmkorff apparatus, I must be allowed some reservations with regard to the gun I am to carry.”
但是,如果我必须承认Rouquayrol和Ruhmkorff设备,我对我要携带的枪支有一些保留。”

“But it is not a gun for powder,” answered the Captain.
“但这不是用于火药的枪支,”船长回答道。

“Then it is an air-gun.”
“那就是气枪。”

“Doubtless! How would you have me manufacture gunpowder on board, without either saltpetre, sulphur, or charcoal?”
“无疑!你怎么能指望我在船上制造火药,而又没有硝石、硫磺或木炭呢?”

“Besides,” I added, “to fire under water in a medium eight hundred and fifty-five times denser than the air, we must conquer very considerable resistance.”
“此外,”我补充道,“在比空气密度大八百五十五倍的水介质中,我们必须克服相当大的阻力才能在水下开火。”

“That would be no difficulty. There exist guns, according to Fulton, perfected in England by Philip Coles and Burley, in France by Furcy, and in Italy by Landi, which are furnished with a peculiar system of closing, which can fire under these conditions.
“这不会有困难。据富尔顿所说,英国的菲利普·科尔斯和伯利,法国的费西和意大利的兰迪都研发出了能够在这种条件下发射的枪械,它们配备了一种独特的关闭系统。” —

But I repeat, having no powder, I use air under great pressure, which the pumps of the Nautilus furnish abundantly.”
但是我重复一遍,没有火药,我们使用的是 鹦鹉螺 的泵所提供的高压空气,而这些泵可以提供充足的空气。”

“But this air must be rapidly used?”
“但是这个空气必须迅速使用吗?”

“Well, have I not my Rouquayrol reservoir, which can furnish it at need?
“嗯,我没有我的罗卡伊罗储气库吗?需要的时候它可以提供给我们。 —

A tap is all that is required.
只需要打开一个水龙头。” —

Besides, M. Aronnax, you must see yourself that, during our submarine hunt, we can spend but little air and but few balls.”
此外,阿罗纳克斯先生,您必须清楚,在我们的海底狩猎中,我们可以消耗很少的空气和很少的弹药。”

“But it seems to me that in this twilight, and in the midst of this fluid, which is very dense compared with the atmosphere, shots could not go far, nor easily prove mortal.”
“但是在这个黎明时分,在这个相对于大气压很高的液体中,射击的距离不会很远,也不容易致命。”

“Sir, on the contrary, with this gun every blow is mortal;
“先生,相反,用这把枪,每一击都是致命的; —

and however lightly the animal is touched, it falls as if struck by a thunderbolt.”
无论动物被轻轻碰触,都会像被雷击一样倒下。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because the balls sent by this gun are not ordinary balls, but little cases of glass (invented by Leniebroek, an Austrian chemist), of which I have a large supply.
“因为这把枪发射的弹药并不是普通的弹丸,而是由奥地利化学家Leniebroek发明的一种小玻璃盒子,我有大量的供应。” —

These glass cases are covered with a case of steel, and weighted with a pellet of lead;
“这些玻璃盒子表面覆盖着一层钢壳,并装有一个铅球。” —

they are real Leyden bottles, into which the electricity is forced to a very high tension.
“它们是真正的莱顿瓶,电荷被迫产生非常高的电压。” —

With the slightest shock they are discharged, and the animal, however strong it may be, falls dead.
“任何轻微的冲击都会触发它们,动物,无论多么强壮,都会当场死亡。” —

I must tell you that these cases are size number four, and that the charge for an ordinary gun would be ten.”
“我必须告诉您,这些盒子是四号大小,而一般枪支的弹药装填量为十个。”

“I will argue no longer,” I replied, rising from the table;
“我不再争论了,”我回答着站起身来; —

“I have nothing left me but to take my gun.
“我已经没有别的选择,只能拿起我的枪。 —

At all events, I will go where you go.”
无论如何,我会跟着你去的地方。”

Captain Nemo then led me aft;
随后,尼莫船长领着我走向船尾, —

and in passing before Ned’s and Conseil’s cabin, I called my two companions, who followed immediately.
经过尼德和康塞尔的舱房时,我喊了一声我的两个伙伴,他们随即紧随其后。 —

We then came to a kind of cell near the machinery-room, in which we were to put on our walking-dress.
然后我们来到了一个靠近机舱的房间,我们要在那里穿上我们的行走服装。