I was much impressed on touching land.
我在踏上陆地时非常震撼。 —

Ned Land tried the soil with his feet, as if to take possession of it.
尼德·兰德用脚试探着这块土地,仿佛要夺取它。 —

However, it was only two months before that we had become, according to Captain Nemo, “passengers on board the Nautilus,” but, in reality, prisoners of its commander.
然而,据船长尼摩说,仅仅两个月前我们才成为”鹦鹉螺号”上的”乘客”,但实际上,我们是其指挥官的囚犯。

In a few minutes we were within musket-shot of the coast.
几分钟后,我们就离海岸只有一枪之遥。 —

The whole horizon was hidden behind a beautiful curtain of forests.
整个地平线都被一幕美丽的森林幕布所覆盖。 —

Enormous trees, the trunks of which attained a height of 200 feet, were tied to each other by garlands of bindweed, real natural hammocks, which a light breeze rocked.
高达200英尺的巨大树木相互相连,用蔓藤形成了一幅幅自然吊床,轻风摇晃着它们。 —

They were mimosas, figs, hibisci, and palm trees, mingled together in profusion;
这些树木有含羞草、无花果树、木槿和棕榈树,混杂在一起。 —

and under the shelter of their verdant vault grew orchids, leguminous plants, and ferns.
而在它们翠绿的树冠庇荫下,长满了兰花、豆科植物和蕨类植物。

But, without noticing all these beautiful specimens of Papuan flora, the Canadian abandoned the agreeable for the useful.
然而,加拿大人没有注意到这些巴布亚植物的美丽,他只顾着实用性。 —

He discovered a coco-tree, beat down some of the fruit, broke them, and we drunk the milk and ate the nut with a satisfaction that protested against the ordinary food on the Nautilus.
他发现了一棵椰子树,摘下了一些椰子,把它们打开,我们喝着椰子汁,吃着椰子肉,满足地对抗着“鹦鹉螺号”上的普通食物。

“Excellent!” said Ned Land.
“太好了!”尼德兰德说。

“Exquisite!” replied Conseil.
“太美味了!”康塞尔回答道。

“And I do not think,” said the Canadian, “that he would object to our introducing a cargo of coco-nuts on board.”
“我觉得他不会反对我们载一船椰子上船。”加拿大人说。

“I do not think he would, but he would not taste them.”
“我想他不会反对,但他不会尝它们。”

“So much the worse for him,” said Conseil.
“那就更糟了,”康塞尔说。

“And so much the better for us, ” replied Ned Land. “There will be more for us.”
“那对我们来说就更好了。”尼德兰德回答说,“这样我们会有更多。”

“One word only, Master Land,” I said to the harpooner, who was beginning to ravage another coco-nut tree.
“请听我说一句,兰德先生,”我对这位开始掠夺另一棵椰子树的捕鲸者说。 —

“Coco-nuts are good things, but before filling the canoe with them it would be wise to reconnoitre and see if the island does not produce some substance not less useful.
“椰子是好东西,但在把独木舟装满之前,最好先侦察一下看看这个岛上是否生产出一些同样有用的物质。 —

Fresh vegetables would be welcome on board the Nautilus.”
新鲜蔬菜对“鹦鹉螺号”来说是受欢迎的。”

“Master is right,” replied Conseil;
“大师是对的,”康塞尔回答道, —

“and I propose to reserve three places in our vessel, one for fruits, the other for vegetables, and the third for the venison, of which I have not yet seen the smallest specimen.”
“我建议我们在船上预留三个地方,一个放水果,一个放蔬菜,还有一个放我们还没见到一点点的鹿肉。”

“Conseil, we must not despair,” said the Canadian.
“康塞尔,我们不能绝望。”加拿大人说道。

“Let us continue,” I returned, “and lie in wait.
“我们继续吧,”我回答道,“并伺机而动。 —

Although the island seems uninhabited, it might still contain some individuals that would be less hard than we on the nature of game.”
虽然这个岛似乎没有人居住,但可能仍然有一些人对狩猎的态度不如我们这么严苛。”

“Ho! ho!” said Ned Land, moving his jaws significantly.
“嗬!嗬!”尼德兰德滑稽地咀嚼着。

“Well, Ned!” said Conseil.
“嗯,尼德!”康塞尔说道。

“My word!” returned the Canadian, “I begin to understand the charms of anthropophagy.”
“我的天!”加拿大人说道,“我开始明白吃人肉的魅力了。”

“Ned! Ned! what are you saying? You, a man-eater?
“尼德!尼德!你在说什么? —

I should not feel safe with you, especially as I share your cabin.
你竟然是食人族?我和你共舱在一起的话肯定不会安全。” —

I might perhaps wake one day to find myself half devoured.”
也许某一天我会醒来发现自己已被吃掉一半。”

“Friend Conseil, I like you much, but not enough to eat you unnecessarily.”
“康塞尔,我很喜欢你,但还不到不必要地吃掉你的地步。”

“I would not trust you,” replied Conseil. “But enough.
“我不会相信你,”康塞尔回答道。“但够了。 —

We must absolutely bring down some game to satisfy this cannibal, or else one of these fine mornings, master will find only pieces of his servant to serve him.”
我们必须一定要打到一些野味来满足这个食人族,否则有一天早上,主人只会发现他的仆人的碎片。”

While we were talking thus, we were penetrating the sombre arches of the forest, and for two hours we surveyed it in all directions.
我们一边交谈,一边深入了阴暗的树林拱门,两个小时里我们四面八方地进行了勘察。

Chance rewarded our search for eatable vegetables, and one of the most useful products of the tropical zones furnished us with precious food that we missed on board.
机缘巧合地帮助我们寻找到可食用的蔬菜,并带给我们宝贵的食物,这是我们在船上所缺少的。 —

I would speak of the bread-fruit tree, very abundant in the island of Gilboa;
我想说的是面包树,在吉尔博阿岛非常丰富; —

and I remarked chiefly the variety destitute of seeds, which bears in Malaya the name of “rima.”
我特别注意到了不含籽的品种,在马来亚被称为“莉玛”。

Ned Land knew these fruits well.

He had already eaten many during his numerous voyages, and he knew how to prepare the eatable substance.
尼德•兰在许多次航行中已经吃过这些水果,他知道如何处理可食用的部分。 —

Moreover, the sight of them excited him, and he could contain himself no longer.
而且,看到它们让他很兴奋,他再也无法控制自己。

“Master,” he said, “I shall die if I do not taste a little of this bread-fruit pie.”
“主人,”他说,“如果我不能尝一点这个面包果馅饼,我会死的。”

“Taste it, friend Ned—taste it as you want.
“尝一尝吧,朋友尼德-尽情品尝吧。 —

We are here to make experiments—make them.”
我们在这里做实验-做实验。”

“It won’t take long,” said the Canadian.
“这不会花很长时间,”加拿大人说道。

And, provided with a lentil, he lighted a fire of dead wood that crackled joyously.
他用干木头生了一堆火,噼啪作响。 —

During this time, Conseil and I chose the best fruits of the bread-fruit.
与此同时,康塞尔和我挑选出了最好的面包果。 —

Some had not then attained a sufficient degree of maturity;
其中一些还没成熟; —

and their thick skin covered a white but rather fibrous pulp.
它们厚厚的外皮下面是白色但有点纤维状的果肉。 —

Others, the greater number yellow and gelatinous, waited only to be picked.
其他大多数是黄色而且有果冻状的,只等着被采摘。

These fruits enclosed no kernel.
这些果实里面没有核。 —

Conseil brought a dozen to Ned Land, who placed them on a coal fire, after having cut them in thick slices, and while doing this repeating:
康塞尔给尼德-兰德拿了一打,尼德-兰德把它们切成厚片放在一把炭火上,边做边说:

“You will see, master, how good this bread is.
“您会看到,主人,这面包有多好吃。 —

More so when one has been deprived of it so long.
如果长时间没有吃到它,就更加美味。 —

It is not even bread,” added he, “but a delicate pastry.
这甚至不是面包,”他补充说,“而是一种精致的糕点。 —

You have eaten none, master?”
主人,您没有吃过吗?”

“No, Ned.”
“没有,尼德。”

“Very well, prepare yourself for a juicy thing.
“非常好,为自己做好准备,这是一个令人垂涎的东西。 —

If you do not come for more, I am no longer the king of harpooners.”
如果你对它不再感兴趣,那我就不再是捕鲸人的王者了。”

After some minutes, the part of the fruits that was exposed to the fire was completely roasted.
几分钟后,暴露在火中的部分水果完全烤熟了。 —

The interior looked like a white pasty, a sort of soft crumb, the flavour of which was like that of an artichoke.
内部看起来像是白色的糊状物,有点像软酥饼,味道像朝鲜蓟一样。

It must be confessed this bread was excellent, and I ate of it with great relish.
必须承认,这个面包非常好吃,我非常享受地吃了一些。

“What time is it now?” asked the Canadian.
“现在几点了?”加拿大人问道。

“Two o’clock at least,” replied Conseil.
“至少两点了。”康塞尔回答说。

“How time flies on firm ground!” sighed Ned Land.
“时间在陆地上过得真快!”尼德兰叹了口气。

“Let us be off,” replied Conseil.
“我们走吧。”康塞尔回答说。

We returned through the forest, and completed our collection by a raid upon the cabbage-palms, that we gathered from the tops of the trees, little beans that I recognised as the “abrou” of the Malays, and yams of a superior quality.
我们穿过森林回去,顺便从棕榈树上采集了一些山芋、一些我认出的马来族人称为“阿布劳”的小豆子,以及一些优质的山药。

We were loaded when we reached the boat.
当我们回到船上时,我们已经装满了。 —

But Ned Land did not find his provisions sufficient.
但是尼德兰没有找到足够的食物。然而, —

Fate, however, favoured us.
命运偏偏对我们有好处。 —

Just as we were pushing off, he perceived several trees, from twenty-five to thirty feet high, a species of palm-tree.
就在我们启航的时候,他看见了几棵树,高度大约在25到30英尺之间,是一种棕榈树。

At last, at five o’clock in the evening, loaded with our riches, we quitted the shore, and half an hour after we hailed the Nautilus.
最后,在傍晚五点钟,我们带着丰富的财富离开了海岸,半小时后我们招呼了“鹦鹉螺号”。 —

No one appeared on our arrival.
我们到达时没有人出现。 —

The enormous iron-plated cylinder seemed deserted.
这个巨大的铁皮圆柱看起来像是被遗弃了。 —

The provisions embarked, I descended to my chamber, and after supper slept soundly.
准备好食物后,我下到自己的房间里,晚餐后睡得很香。

The next day, 6th January, nothing new on board.
第二天,1月6日,船上没有什么新鲜事。 —

Not a sound inside, not a sign of life.
内部没有声音,没有生命的迹象。 —

The boat rested along the edge, in the same place in which we had left it.
小船停泊在岸边的同一个地方,我们决定返回那个岛。 —

We resolved to return to the island.

Ned Land hoped to be more fortunate than on the day before with regard to the hunt, and wished to visit another part of the forest.
纳德·兰德希望在狩猎方面比前一天更加幸运,希望参观森林的另一部分。

At dawn we set off. The boat, carried on by the waves that flowed to shore, reached the island in a few minutes.
黎明时我们出发了。小船被海浪推向岸边,几分钟后就到达了那个岛。

We landed, and, thinking that it was better to give in to the Canadian, we followed Ned Land, whose long limbs threatened to distance us.
我们降落了,考虑到与加拿大人妥协可能更好,我们跟随着威胁着与我们拉开距离的纳德·兰德。 —

He wound up the coast towards the west: then, fording some torrents, he gained the high plain that was bordered with admirable forests.
他沿着海岸线向西走去,然后穿过一些溪流,进入了边上有着美丽森林的高原。 —

Some kingfishers were rambling along the water-courses, but they would not let themselves be approached.
一些翠鸟在水渠边漫步,但它们不愿意让人接近。 —

Their circumspection proved to me that these birds knew what to expect from bipeds of our species, and I concluded that, if the island was not inhabited, at least human beings occasionally frequented it.
它们的谨慎表明这些鸟知道人类的双足动物是什么样的,我得出结论,如果这个岛屿不被居住,至少人类偶尔也会到此。

After crossing a rather large prairie, we arrived at the skirts of a little wood that was enlivened by the songs and flight of a large number of birds.
穿过一片相当大的草原后,我们来到了一片小树林的边缘,这里有许多鸟儿在歌唱和飞翔,活跃着。

“There are only birds,” said Conseil.
“那里只有鸟儿,”康瑟尔说道。

“But they are eatable,” replied the harpooner.
“但它们是可食用的,”鱼叉手回答道。

“I do not agree with you, friend Ned, for I see only parrots there.”
“朋友纳德,我不同意你的观点,因为我只看到了鹦鹉。”

“Friend Conseil,” said Ned, gravely, “the parrot is like pheasant to those who have nothing else.”
“朋友康瑟尔,”尼德庄重地说道,“对于那些没有别的东西的人来说,这只鹦鹉就像野鸡。”

“And,” I added, “this bird, suitably prepared, is worth knife and fork.”
“而且,”我补充道,“经过适当烹饪后,这只鸟值得用刀叉品尝。”

Indeed, under the thick foliage of this wood, a world of parrots were flying from branch to branch, only needing a careful education to speak the human language.
在这片树叶茂密的树林下,一群鹦鹉从树枝上飞来飞去,只需要受到悉心的教导,就能够说人类的语言。 —

For the moment, they were chattering with parrots of all colours, and grave cockatoos, who seemed to meditate upon some philosophical problem, whilst brilliant red lories passed like a piece of bunting carried away by the breeze, papuans, with the finest azure colours, and in all a variety of winged things most charming to behold, but few eatable.
此刻,它们正与各种颜色的鹦鹉聒噪着,而严肃的凤头鹦鹉似乎在沉思一些哲学问题,而鲜艳的红鹦鹉则像被风吹动的一块旗帜,巴布亚人携带着最美丽的天蓝色,总体上是一系列令人愉悦的有翅膀的生物,但是很少有可食用的。

However, a bird peculiar to these lands, and which has never passed the limits of the Arrow and Papuan islands, was wanting in this collection.
然而,这片土地特有的一种鸟,从未越过箭羽岛和巴布亚岛的界限,却在这个集合中缺失了。 —

But fortune reserved it for me before long.
但是,幸运很快就给我带来了它。

After passing through a moderately thick copse, we found a plain obstructed with bushes.
在穿过一片树丛适中浓密的地方后,我们发现了一片布满灌木的平原。 —

I saw then those magnificent birds, the disposition of whose long feathers obliges them to fly against the wind.
我看到了那些壮丽的鸟,它们长羽毛的特殊形态让它们必须逆风飞行。 —

Their undulating flight, graceful aerial curves, and the shading of their colours, attracted and charmed one’s looks.
它们起伏的飞行,优雅的空中曲线和色彩的变换吸引并迷住了人们的目光。 —

I had no trouble in recognising them.
我毫不费力地认出它们来。

“Birds of paradise!” I exclaimed.
“天堂鸟!”我惊叫道。

The Malays, who carry on a great trade in these birds with the Chinese, have several means that we could not employ for taking them.
马来人与中国人做着繁盛的天堂鸟贸易,他们有一些我们无法采用的方法来捕捉它们。 —

Sometimes they put snares on the top of high trees that the birds of paradise prefer to frequent.
有时他们在天堂鸟经常光顾的高树上设置陷阱。 —

Sometimes they catch them with a viscous birdlime that paralyses their movements.
有时他们用黏性鸟胶来捉住它们,使它们动弹不得。 —

They even go so far as to poison the fountains that the birds generally drink from.
他们甚至会在天堂鸟通常饮水的泉水中下毒。 —

But we were obliged to fire at them during flight, which gave us few chances to bring them down;
但是我们只能在它们飞行时射击,这让我们很少有机会击落它们; —

and, indeed, we vainly exhausted one half our ammunition.
事实上,我们徒劳地耗尽了一半的弹药。

About eleven o’clock in the morning, the first range of mountains that form the centre of the island was traversed, and we had killed nothing.
大约上午十一点,我们穿过了岛屿中心的第一条山脉,但我们没有猎到任何东西。 —

Hunger drove us on. The hunters had relied on the products of the chase, and they were wrong.
饥饿驱使着我们前进。猎人们本指望可以依靠猎物的产物,但他们错了。 —

Happily Conseil, to his great surprise, made a double shot and secured breakfast.
幸运的是,康塞伊尔出乎意料地一枪双杀,确保了我们的早餐。 —

He brought down a white pigeon and a wood-pigeon, which, cleverly plucked and suspended from a skewer, was roasted before a red fire of dead wood.
他打下了一只白鸽和一只木鸽,巧妙地拔毛并用一根串烧棒悬挂在火柴下烤。 —

While these interesting birds were cooking, Ned prepared the fruit of the bread-tree.
当这些有趣的鸟儿在烹饪时,奈德准备着面包树上的果实。 —

Then the wood-pigeons were devoured to the bones, and declared excellent.
然后木鸽被吃得干干净净,被评价为美味可口。 —

The nutmeg, with which they are in the habit of stuffing their crops, flavours their flesh and renders it delicious eating.
它们习惯于用肚子鼓鼓的肉搏树莓填充,使它们的肉味道芬芳,令人垂涎欲滴。

“Now, Ned, what do you miss now?”
“那么,奈德,你还想吃些什么?”

“Some four-footed game, M. Aronnax.
“一些四脚的野味,阿罗纳克斯先生。 —

All these pigeons are only side-dishes and trifles;
所有这些鸽子只是前菜和小吃; —

and until I have killed an animal with cutlets I shall not be content.”
除非我用肉卷杀了一只动物,否则我无法满足。”

“Nor I, Ned, if I do not catch a bird of paradise.”
“我也不打算捉到天堂鸟,尼德。”

“Let us continue hunting,” replied Conseil.
“我们继续狩猎吧,“康塞尔回答道。 —

“Let us go towards the sea.
“我们往海边走。” —

We have arrived at the first declivities of the mountains, and I think we had better regain the region of forests.”
我们已经到达山脉的第一个斜坡,我认为我们最好回到森林地区。

That was sensible advice, and was followed out.
这是明智的建议,并得到了遵循。 —

After walking for one hour we had attained a forest of sago-trees.
走了一个小时后,我们来到了一片沙谷树林。 —

Some inoffensive serpents glided away from us.
一些无害的蛇从我们身边滑走。 —

The birds of paradise fled at our approach, and truly I despaired of getting near one when Conseil, who was walking in front, suddenly bent down, uttered a triumphal cry, and came back to me bringing a magnificent specimen.
天堂鸟在我们靠近时飞走了,我真的对靠近它们感到绝望,当时走在前面的康塞尔突然低下身,发出胜利的呼喊,回到我身边带来了一只华丽的样本。

“Ah! bravo, Conseil!”
“啊!好极了,康塞尔!”

“Master is very good.”
“主人非常棒。”

“No, my boy; you have made an excellent stroke.
“不,孩子, —

Take one of these living birds, and carry it in your hand.”
你做得很出色。”

“If master will examine it, he will see that I have not deserved great merit.”
“如果主人检查一下的话,他会看到我没有应得的功劳。” “他会看到我没有应得的功劳。”

“Why, Conseil?”
“如果主人检查一下,就会发现我没有太大的功劳。”

“Because this bird is as drunk as a quail.”
“为什么,康塞尔?”

“Drunk!”
“因为这只鸟像鹌鹑一样喝醉了。”

“Yes, sir; drunk with the nutmegs that it devoured under the nutmeg-tree, under which I found it.
“是的,先生;它在肉豆蔻树下吃得烂醉,我就在那棵树底下找到了它。” —

See, friend Ned, see the monstrous effects of intemperance!”
你瞧啊,朋友尼德,饮酒过度的可怕后果!”

“By Jove!” exclaimed the Canadian, “because I have drunk gin for two months, you must needs reproach me!”
“天哪!”加拿大人惊呼道,“因为我喝了两个月的杜松子酒,你就非得责备我不可!”

However, I examined the curious bird. Conseil was right.
然而,我仔细观察了这只有趣的鸟。康塞尔说得没错。 —

The bird, drunk with the juice, was quite powerless.
这只醉得烂醉的鸟已经完全没有力气了。 —

It could not fly; it could hardly walk.
它无法飞行,甚至行走都困难。

This bird belonged to the most beautiful of the eight species that are found in Papua and in the neighbouring islands.
这只鸟属于在巴布亚和周边岛屿中最美丽的八个物种之一。 —

It was the “large emerald bird, the most rare kind.
它是“大型翠鸟,最珍稀的品种。 —

” It measured three feet in length.
”它长达三英尺。 —

Its head was comparatively small, its eyes placed near the opening of the beak, and also small.
它的头相对较小,眼睛位于嘴巴的开口处,也很小。 —

But the shades of colour were beautiful, having a yellow beak, brown feet and claws, nut-coloured wings with purple tips, pale yellow at the back of the neck and head, and emerald colour at the throat, chestnut on the breast and belly.
但它的颜色非常美丽,嘴是黄色的,脚和爪是褐色的,翅膀是淡褐色带有紫色的尖端,在脖子和头部的后部是淡黄色,在喉咙部位是翠绿色,胸部和腹部是栗色的。 —

Two horned, downy nets rose from below the tail, that prolonged the long light feathers of admirable fineness, and they completed the whole of this marvellous bird, that the natives have poetically named the “bird of the sun.”
两只长角、布满羽绒的网状物从尾部下方升起,延续了那羽细美轻盈的长羽毛,它们让整只美妙的鸟儿完美无缺,当地人以诗意地称之为“太阳之鸟”。

But if my wishes were satisfied by the possession of the bird of paradise, the Canadian’s were not yet.
但是,如果我的愿望得到了太阳之鸟的拥有,加拿大人的愿望却还没有实现。 —

Happily, about two o’clock, Ned Land brought down a magnificent hog;
幸运的是,大约两点钟时,内德·兰德打倒了一只宏伟的猪, —

from the brood of those the natives call “bari-outang.
属于当地人称之为“猿猪”的品种。 —

” The animal came in time for us to procure real quadruped meat, and he was well received.
这只动物正好让我们能够得到真正的四足动物的肉,而且它被热情地接受了。 —

Ned Land was very proud of his shot.
内德·兰德对自己的射击非常自豪。 —

The hog, hit by the electric ball, fell stone dead.
被电击球击中的猪当场死亡。 —

The Canadian skinned and cleaned it properly, after having taken half a dozen cutlets, destined to furnish us with a grilled repast in the evening.
加拿大人将它剥皮和清洁得很好,事先留下了半打排骨,打算晚上为我们提供烤肉的晚餐。 —

Then the hunt was resumed, which was still more marked by Ned and Conseil’s exploits.
然后继续狩猎,内德和康塞尔的壮举更加引人注目。

Indeed, the two friends, beating the bushes, roused a herd of kangaroos that fled and bounded along on their elastic paws.
然而,这两个朋友在痕迹零星的灌木丛中惊起了一群袋鼠,它们跳跃着用弹性脚爪逃离。 —

But these animals did not take to flight so rapidly but what the electric capsule could stop their course.
但是这些动物并没有逃得太快,以至于电动胶囊可以阻止它们前进的脚步。

“Ah, Professor!” cried Ned Land, who was carried away by the delights of the chase, “what excellent game, and stewed, too!
“啊,教授!” 被追逐的乐趣所席卷的尼德兰大声喊道,“真是一群绝佳的猎物,而且还可以炖着吃!” —

What a supply for the Nautilus! Two! three! five down!
这是多么丰富的一次为《鹦鹉螺号》提供食物的机遇! —

And to think that we shall eat that flesh, and that the idiots on board shall not have a crumb!”
敲落了两只! 三只! 五只!而且想到我们将吃这肉,而船上那些傻瓜们一个渣都没有!”

I think that, in the excess of his joy, the Canadian, if he had not talked so much, would have killed them all.
我觉得,如果这个加拿大人没有那么多话,在他喜极而泣的时候,他会把它们全部杀光。 —

But he contented himself with a single dozen of these interesting marsupians.
不过他只采集了一打这些有趣的有袋类动物。 —

These animals were small.
这些动物很小。 —

They were a species of those “kangaroo rabbitss” that live habitually in the hollows of trees, and whose speed is extreme;
它们是生活在树洞中的“袋鼠兔”之一,它们的速度极快; —

but they are moderately fat, and furnish, at least, estimable food. We were very satisfied with the results of the hunt.
但是它们还算是肥胖适中,至少可以提供可口的食物。 我们对这次狩猎的结果非常满意。 —

Happy Ned proposed to return to this enchanting island the next day, for he wished to depopulate it of all the eatable quadrupeds.
快乐的尼德提议第二天返回这个迷人的岛屿,因为他希望将所有可食用的四足动物赶走。 —

But he had reckoned without his host.
但他没有考虑到他的东道主。

At six o’clock in the evening we had regained the shore;
晚上六点我们已经返回了岸边; —

our boat was moored to the usual place.
我们的船停泊在通常的地方。 —

The Nautilus, like a long rock, emerged from the waves two miles from the beach.
“鹦鹉螺号”就像一块长长的岩石从海浪中浮现出来,距离海滩两英里。 —

Ned Land, without waiting, occupied himself about the important dinner business.
尼德·兰德没有等待,他忙于重要的晚餐事务。 —

He understood all about cooking well.
他对烹饪非常了解。 —

The “bari-outang,” grilled on the coals, soon scented the air with a delicious odour.
“烤长臂猿”在炭火上烤制,很快弥漫着美味的气味。

Indeed, the dinner was excellent.
事实上,晚餐非常美味。 —

Two wood-pigeons completed this extraordinary menu.
两只野鸽子完成了这份非同寻常的菜单。 —

The sago pasty, the artocarpus bread, some mangoes, half a dozen pineapples, and the liquor fermented from some coco-nuts, overjoyed us.
木薯饼,面包果,几个芒果,半打菠萝和由几颗椰子发酵而成的酒使我们欣喜若狂。 —

I even think that my worthy companions’ ideas had not all the plainness desirable.
我甚至觉得我的可敬的同伴的想法并不都是必需的明确。

“Suppose we do not return to the Nautilus this evening?
“假设我们今晚不返回“鹦鹉螺号”? —

” said Conseil.
”康塞尔说。

“Suppose we never return?” added Ned Land.
“假设我们永远不回去?”尼德·兰德补充道。

Just then a stone fell at our feet and cut short the harpooner’s proposition.
就在那时,一块石头落在我们脚下,打断了捕鲸者的提议。